Over 1.64 lakh suicides in India in 2021, Maharashtra tops list: NCRB data reveals

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
New Delhi: An eye-opening report by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) revealed that in 2021, India witnessed 1,64,033 suicide cases and Maharashtra reported the highest number of suicides among all the states. Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh took the second and third spot respectively as the highest numbers of suicide cases were reported in both states after Maharashtra.

The NCRB recently released a report that lists the top causes of suicide in the nation. As per reports, most of the problems were associated with one's job or career, loneliness, abuse, violence, conflict in families, mental illness, alcoholism, financial loss, and chronic pain.
recommended by

In India, 1,64,033 suicides were registered in total in 2021, which is a 7.2 per cent increase from 2020's 1,53,052 cases.

As per the report released by NCRB, “a total of 1,64,033 suicides were reported in the country during 2021 showing an increase of 7.2% in comparison to 2020 and the rate of suicides has increased by 6.2% during 2021 over 2020.”

The report also mentioned, “Majority of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207), followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 suicides in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 suicides in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka, accounting for 13.5 per cent, 11.5 per cent, 9.1 per cent, 8.2 per cent and 8 per cent of total suicides respectively.”

Together, these five major states were responsible for 50.4 per cent of all suicides registered nationwide. The other 23 states and eight Union territories reported the remaining 49.6 per cent of the suicide cases.

The most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, which accounts for 16.9 per cent of the nation's total population, has reported a relatively lower percentage share of suicide deaths.
Most suicides (2,840) have been reported in the Union territories' most populous territory, Delhi, then in Puducherry (504).

In the 53 major cities across the nation in 2021, there were 25,891 suicides registered in total.

The suicide rate, or the number of suicides per 1,00,000 people, has long been used as a benchmark for comparison. In 2021, there were 12 suicides across India, per 1,00,000 people.

The highest rate of suicide has been reported in Andaman and Nicobar (39.7), it was followed by Sikkim (39.2), Puducherry (31.8), Telangana (26.9) and Kerala (26.9), news agency PTI reported.

https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror...-tops-list-ncrb-data-reveals-article-93860778

Except Madhyapradesh all states with such suicide rate have good economy and literacy.

Wonder if its economic pressure ?
I’m certain the suicides spike during May-June after the board exam results

In terms of the world - how does India rank in this aspect?

Percentage of all deaths wise?

Except Madhyapradesh all states with such suicide rate have good economy and literacy.

Pressure to keep up with the neighbors, business losses, depression etc. I know a couple of people who committed suicide recently. One lost 1.5 crore rupees when he got cheated in business. The other was depressed. A young girl who hid the fact about her depression and it was too late by the time parents realized.

I find most Indians extremely materialistic. I wonder if the high suicide rate is connected to it.

If your existence revolves around money always, that's not healthy.

Also, BJP propaganda is probably not good for mental health.

Last edited:
I find most Indians extremely materialistic. I wonder if the high suicide rate has something to do with it.

Not just India. I bet Pakistan and Bangladesh are also super materialistic. That is why Corruption is such a major issue in these countries.

I find most Indians extremely materialistic. I wonder if the high suicide rate is connected to it.

What so you mean materialistic please explain?

Not just India. I bet Pakistan and Bangladesh are also super materialistic. That is why Corruption is such a major issue in these countries.

Yup. I agree with you.

But, I think suicide rate is higher in India.

Anyway. Suicide is increasing worldwide. Check this:

Suicide deaths have risen by 20,000 over past 30 years around the world

The overall global death toll from suicide has risen by nearly 20,000 over the past 30 years, despite a significant fall in age-specific suicide rates during this period, finds an analysis of international data, published online in the journal Injury Prevention.

Population ageing, population growth, and changes in population age structure, especially in lower middle-income and upper middle-income regions, have largely driven the figures, say the researchers.

Countries may struggle to reverse the trend in suicide deaths, because suicide rates are highest among those aged 70+ in almost all regions of the world, they point out.

Despite accounting for nearly 800,000 deaths every year, suicide hasn’t received the level of attention given to other global public health issues, such as HIV/AIDS and cancer, they say.

In a bid to change that, the researchers set out to explore the complex relationships between population growth, population age structure, income level, sex, and age-specific suicide rates to gain a better understanding of the global changes in suicide rates and deaths over the past 30 years.

They drew on data from the Global Burden of Disease Study (GBD) 2019. This provides population estimates for 204 countries and territories for 1950–2019 by location, age, and sex. And it captures information on 369 diseases and injuries from 1990 to 2019 by age and sex.

The researchers looked at the influence of changes in age-specific and gender-specific suicide rates; population age structure; and population growth for each of the four income level regions, as defined by the World Bank: low-income; lower middle-income; upper middle-income; and high-income.

In 1990, the overall global suicide rate was 13.8 per 100,000 of the population, falling to 9.8/100,000 in 2019. The rate among men fell from 16.6/100,000 to 13.5/100,000, and from 11/100,000 to 6.1/100,000 among women.

The most significant fall occurred in upper middle-income countries--a fall of 6.25/100,000-- followed by those in the lower middle-income region, with a fall of 2.51 per 100,000.

Overall, the decline in suicide rates among women was steeper than that for men: a fall of 4.91 vs 3.09/100,000, especially in upper middle-income countries where the equivalent falls were 8.12 vs 4.37/100,000.

The reduction in age-specific suicide rates was the major driver for the declining rates of suicide, offsetting the effect of changes in population age structure.

For example, in the high-income region, the declining age-specific suicide rate (−3.83/100.000; 216%) had a much larger impact than the change in population age structure (2.06/100,000;−116%).

The overall number of suicide deaths rose by 19,897 from 738,799 in 1990 to 758, 696 in 2019, with the sharpest rise in lower middle-income countries where the death toll rose by 72,550 from 232,340 to 304,890.

The main contributors to this increase were population growth (1512.5%), followed by changes in population age structure (952.5%). But these effects were offset by the the substantial reduction in the age-specific suicide rates (−470,556/100,000;−2365%).

The total number of male suicide deaths rose sharply, largely explained by male population growth (890%) and changes in male population age structure (604%). But these patterns weren’t universal.

Source: https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroo...by-20000-over-past-30-years-around-the-world/.

Its near impossible to determine why people take their own lives unless there is a specific known reason..

Tragic.

What so you mean materialistic please explain?

Too connected to this world (money, fame, social status etc.).

Most Indians seem too obsessed with these.

Also, neoliberal values are likely to cause suicides.

I suggest a trip to Pakistan or meet some Pakistanis in the MiddleEast.

I suggest a trip to Pakistan or meet some Pakistanis in the MiddleEast.

I am sure there are some from Pakistan who are like this (same in Bangladesh). But, I think this issue is more serious in India.

Also, Godlessness is probably a factor too. 16% of India are atheists/irreligious (actual percentage is probably higher). That's a large percentage.

Last edited:
Too connected to this world (money, fame, social status etc.).

Most Indians seem too obsessed with these.

Also, neoliberal values are likely to cause suicides.

That’s across South Asia, this is just your bias, if anything i would say compared to Indian Bengalis and Bangladeshis, Bangladeshis are way more into what you mentioned.

this seems to be a prerequisite, most poor people tend to be so busy trying to stay alive the do not have the time to dwell of bad mental thoughts, also their economic situations means they will struggle to be self sufficient and thus invariably are forced into relationships of inter dependence with other people.

Its near impossible to determine why people take their own lives unless there is a specific known reason..

Tragic.

from what I've seen in younger people it tends to be a lack of perspective, some event in their life they are unable to deal with and they lose control. for most adults it tends to be some mix of a breakdown of relationships, percieved isolation, anxiety, nihilism, etc

I'm no expert but id say excessive material focus and a lack of human contact (real people, not virtual) is a bad recipe, especially for men who tend to struggle with getting perspective, especially if relationships with parents break down.

Check their suicide rates. All have high suicide rates (10%+).

Check here: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country.

The world's lowest suicide rates are in the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda - 0.4
Barbados - 0.6
Grenada - 0.7
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - 1.0
Sao Tome and Principe - 1.5
Jordan - 1.6
Syria - 2.0
Venezuela - 2.1
Honduras - 2.1
Philippines - 2.2

——

as [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] already said its definitely to do with economy then than religion.

Same poster that refused to acknowledge IQ and religious statistics is now try to find a incorrect correlation(with hardly any stats) between religion and suicide rates.

Irrespective for all you know the higher the average IQ of a country higher suicidal rate.

I think #1 reason for suicide is lack of faith in God.

This world really has no meaning if you do not believe in God. Things become highly nihilistic.

This index shows that secular/irreligious countries tend to have high suicide rates: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country.

Bangladesh has a suicide rate of 3.7%. India's is 12.7%. Pakistan's is 8.9%.

Not sure its the no1 reason but lack of faith does play into it for many.

If you know the world is temp, a test and there is a God, you will be more mentally strong.

Too many lose hope if they fail exams, lose a job or get dumped by their wife or girlfriend.

The world's lowest suicide rates are in the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda - 0.4
Barbados - 0.6
Grenada - 0.7
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - 1.0
Sao Tome and Principe - 1.5
Jordan - 1.6
Syria - 2.0
Venezuela - 2.1
Honduras - 2.1
Philippines - 2.2

——

as [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] already said its definitely to do with economy then than religion.

So, why does Syria have a low suicide rate? Their economy is not anything significant.

Also, these countries are religious countries (Christianity, Islam etc.).

I think culture plays a factor too. Countries where people interact with each other more tend to have lower suicide rates.

Last edited:
Not sure its the no1 reason but lack of faith does play into it for many.

If you know the world is temp, a test and there is a God, you will be more mentally strong.

Too many lose hope if they fail exams, lose a job or get dumped by their wife or girlfriend.

Exactly.

Without faith in God, you don't have anywhere to go mentally. You have to resort to things like alcohol, drug etc.

Exactly.

Without faith in God, you don't have anywhere to go mentally. You have to resort to things like alcohol, drug etc.

Just taking those in excess could be suicide!

Godless people are often sad over little issues, my experience alone.

So, why does Syria have a low suicide rate? Their economy is not anything significant.

Also, these countries are religious countries (Christianity, Islam etc.).

I think culture plays a factor too. Countries where people interact with each other more tend to have lower suicide rates.

That’s exactly the point lower economies have low suicide rate.

think people are being unnecessarily deep here, if a religion treats suicide as a sin accountable by some eternal punishment, then obviously a believer would be far less likely to commit suicide.

Just taking those in excess could be suicide!

Godless people are often sad over little issues, my experience alone.

Yup.

I think a proper practicing Muslim shouldn't feel sad/depressed. It is because everything happens according to God's will.

Article #6 of Islam: Belief in the existence of God's predestination due to God's omniscience, whether it involves good or bad.

think people are being unnecessarily deep here, if a religion treats suicide as a sin accountable by some eternal punishment, then obviously a believer would be far less likely to commit suicide.

True. Suicide is a big sin and thus Muslims generally try to avoid it.

this seems to be a prerequisite, most poor people tend to be so busy trying to stay alive the do not have the time to dwell of bad mental thoughts, also their economic situations means they will struggle to be self sufficient and thus invariably are forced into relationships of inter dependence with other people.

from what I've seen in younger people it tends to be a lack of perspective, some event in their life they are unable to deal with and they lose control. for most adults it tends to be some mix of a breakdown of relationships, percieved isolation, anxiety, nihilism, etc

I'm no expert but id say excessive material focus and a lack of human contact (real people, not virtual) is a bad recipe, especially for men who tend to struggle with getting perspective, especially if relationships with parents break down.

Men taking their life because of female shows a real problem of weakness of men in society. For other reasons I wouldnt suggest this at all but love is just an emotion, after time you will forget about the person but leave many family members in pain forever.

Men taking their life because of female shows a real problem of weakness of men in society. For other reasons I wouldnt suggest this at all but love is just an emotion, after time you will forget about the person but leave many family members in pain forever.

agree with you, however I think restriction from seeing children would also play a part. for millennia men have been socially programmed to be providers, so when that is taken away that could play part in fundamentally destabilising someone I guess.

This is sad. The subcontinent is a depressing area. I have had my bloats of depression as well.

Its just that, there arn't that many opportunities for everyone around here. You can spend soo much effort on a University degree only to find yourself not be able to land a job in the field you wanted

This is sad. The subcontinent is a depressing area. I have had my bloats of depression as well.

Its just that, there arn't that many opportunities for everyone around here. You can spend soo much effort on a University degree only to find yourself not be able to land a job in the field you wanted

A minuscule minority gets the job they want after a uni degree across the world, it’s just that the standard of living is better in western world and east Asia but hardly anyone gets the job they want.

The one good thing about being born in the subcontinent majority of us aren’t privileged and yet we do have somewhat a roadmap towards education which gives us good perspective.

Thanks to open source softwares and so many resources available online(thankful to western nations) we can always keep improving.
Pakistan has an upcoming service sector it should be good.

The good times during hardtimes is what everyone will remember.

A minuscule minority gets the job they want after a uni degree across the world, it’s just that the standard of living is better in western world and east Asia but hardly anyone gets the job they want.

The one good thing about being born in the subcontinent majority of us aren’t privileged and yet we do have somewhat a roadmap towards education which gives us good perspective.

Thanks to open source softwares and so many resources available online(thankful to western nations) we can always keep improving.
Pakistan has an upcoming service sector it should be good.

The good times during hardtimes is what everyone will remember.

still, living life in west is a luxury. In subcontinent you are exploited everyway possible, and companies to save their own cost expect you to reduce your own standard of living or put your own life at risk.

Its ridiculous.

Its not about job but more about wanting a career that I know would be helpful and pay off......

Life sucks here man, its just too depressing.

I do this for a living. It’s my job.

You cannot compare suicide rates between countries, because religious countries basically avoid classifying suicides as suicide.

It’s true of all subcontinental nations but was also true of western countries, going back to and beyond the death of Ophelia in “Hamlet”.

Interestingly, one suicide accomplishment sticks out globally as outstanding.

The first year of Covid - when there was no vaccine - Australia’s suicide rate fell by a world record 6.2%.

Sealed borders minimised the need for lockdowns and completely eliminated the risk of loved ones dying which the rest of the world faced.

Pandemics are interesting with suicide. Secure your borders and minimise infection and mortality rates and your positive impact on mental health far exceeds the negative impacts that big business always claim.

We had lockdowns Junaids, in the first year of the pandemic. A national one for 3 months and Victoria for most of the year pre the vaccine. There are probably a multitude of reasons for the drop in suicide but in a country where so many have family overseas, can't see how closed borders would help someone's mental health!

Think about it.

What must go through someone's mind before they take their own life? This transcends religion.

It’s not that they commit suicide less, it’s that the stigma leads to underreporting of suicide and falsification of the cause of death.

Muslim countries and old-fashioned Christian countries are notorious for it.

It’s a matter of academic fact.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32482190/

Gujrat man commits suicide after wife forced him to eat beef

Surat police booked a Muslim woman and her brother for abetting the suicide of her Hindu husband in June after an investigation revealed that the deceased youth was threatened to be killed and forced to eat beef by the duo, officials said.

The deceased, Rohit Singh, in his suicide note posted on Facebook, said that his wife Sonam Ali and her brother Mukhtar Ali threatened to kill him if he did not consume beef, forcing him to take the extreme step. Singh was found hanging from a ceiling fan with a dupatta on June 27. A case of accidental death was initially registered.

The 27-year-old had been living with Sonam as his family were against their relationship. According to News18 Gujarat, Sonam was already married and Singh was asked by his family to live separately with her if he planned to marry her.

Estranged, Singh’s family were not informed about his death. Months later, Singh’s brother came to know about Rohit’s death through a friend on social media. Based on Rohit’s suicide note found on his Facebook profile, his mother lodged a complaint at the Udhna police station. According to a report by the Times of India, the mother said she had no contact with her son and had no knowledge about his whereabouts. She also said it is unlikely that Rohit and Sonam were married.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...ng-hindu-man-to-suicide-in-surat-5848603.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surat police booked a Muslim woman and her brother for abetting the suicide of her Hindu husband in June after an investigation revealed that the deceased youth was threatened to be killed and forced to eat beef by the duo, officials said.

The deceased, Rohit Singh, in his suicide note posted on Facebook, said that his wife Sonam Ali and her brother Mukhtar Ali threatened to kill him if he did not consume beef, forcing him to take the extreme step. Singh was found hanging from a ceiling fan with a dupatta on June 27. A case of accidental death was initially registered.

The 27-year-old had been living with Sonam as his family were against their relationship. According to News18 Gujarat, Sonam was already married and Singh was asked by his family to live separately with her if he planned to marry her.

Estranged, Singh’s family were not informed about his death. Months later, Singh’s brother came to know about Rohit’s death through a friend on social media. Based on Rohit’s suicide note found on his Facebook profile, his mother lodged a complaint at the Udhna police station. According to a report by the Times of India, the mother said she had no contact with her son and had no knowledge about his whereabouts. She also said it is unlikely that Rohit and Sonam were married.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...ng-hindu-man-to-suicide-in-surat-5848603.html.

And then its these types of situations which are unique to India as well.

Back