Pakistan are weaker than they look

Junaids

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
The loss of the Final Test to the West Indies should be ringing a number of alarm bells. There are a significant number of players in the team whose time is up, and not always in obvious ways.

And unless this Test team is refreshed as a matter of urgency, a sequence of bad defeats is round the corner, which could cost Pakistan a place in the World Test Championship Final anticipated for 2019.

I'm not even going to bother addressing the Zulfiqar Babar issue. Suffice it to say, his ongoing posthumous selection is an illustration of Misbah's excessive conservatism.

Mohammad Nawaz 63.5-12-147-5 at an average of 29.40
Zulfiqar Babar 67-15-149-3 at an average of 49.66.

Zulfiqar has now played 15 Tests, yet has an average of almost 40. He shows that the only thing harder than getting into the Pakistan team is getting out of it.

Unfortunately, the same is increasingly true of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan. Yes, they came second and third in the averages and averaged 69 and 49 respectively.

But that is less than half the story. As is increasingly the case for them - and is always the case for 43 year old batsmen - they have lost their consistency: they rack up one or two big scores per series and miss out more often than they succeed.

But it's worse than that.

Misbah and Younis are the primary causes of Mohammad Amir's mediocre bowling average since his return.

Amir lacks the out-and-out pace to be a Wasim Akram style stump-smasher, as [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] memorably lamented a couple of days ago. He is a very fine left-arm fast-medium bowler in a different style, one who could take mountains of wickets caught at slip and by the wicketkeeper.

But Misbah and Younis have both lost their hand-eye coordination, and they spill more chances off him than they catch at slip. That's a normal consequence of advancing age. I'm occasionally laughed at on this site for my advocacy of Umar Akmal, but the guy is a part-time wicketkeeper and would almost certainly offer more in the slip cordon than Misbah or Younis.

It is great that Pakistan has replaced Mohammad Hafeez. But one or both of Misbah and Younis need to go too, especially because Asad Shafiq seems incapable of consistency too.

There is a major problem with the pace attack too. Wahab Riaz and Rahat Khan were fine in this series and so was Mohammad Amir - the two dropped catches in the final innings would not just have won the match, but they would have converted a series average of 38.50 into an average of 28.88.

The problem - and it's a huge toppling wardrobe of a problem - is Sohail Khan.

We established in the First Test in England that Pakistan can't field a pace attack of three left-armers. It creates too much rough for opposition off-spinners to bowl into and it makes batting too easy when the angles never change.

But Sohail Khan is a great big lumbering wardrobe of a bowler. It's fine for Mohammad Asif to operate in that pace range of 127-134 K because he moves the ball subtly and consistently and bowls a more testing line and length. But Sohail's line and length are going to be a disaster against Dave Warner if he gets that far.

Sohail Khan: 59-14-157-3 at an average of 52.33 v West Indies
Sohail Khan: 203-36-727-17 at an average of 42.76 in his Test career.

That is just not a viable Test record.

I have to say that there is a major problem with how Misbah-ul-Haq uses Yasir Shah too.

Superficially his record in this series was okay:

Yasir Shah: 192.4-38-564-21 at an average of 26.85.

But the reality is more troubling. As we had already discovered at Trent Bridge and Old Trafford, Yasir doesn't spin the ball enough to take wickets when the surface doesn't help him. And he hasn't got a googly or flipper to add variety.

The bowling attack therefore too often becomes:

Mohammad Amir "supported" by the Dropsy Brothers in the slips.
Sohail Khan doing his impersonation of a wardrobe about to topple over.
Wahab Riaz whose pace and menace requires tight control at the other end and whose pace is sapped by Misbah bowling him in excessively long spells.
Yasir Shah who on unhelpful wickets has all the menace of Joe Root with the ball.

This team needs surgery, and fast.

It needs an extra pace bowling all-rounder outside Asia, and if the best you have are Aamer Yamin or Amad Butt or Hammad Azam then so be it.

And it needs younger men with quicker reflexes in the slips.

You are going to get killed Down Under with a slip cordon of old men who can't catch, and who are there to save their energy.

This happens to all old cricketers. When Wasim Akram took 4 wickets in 5 balls in 1990 against the West Indies, the ball which didn't take a wicket saw Imran Khan drop an absolute sitter at long leg. Imran's Test career was to all intents and purposes over.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw Misbah being up to no good when Amir was bowling to Darren Bravo. Looked like he was tickling Amir, and then Amir lost his concentration in bowling and got hit for runs.

Is there anybody in the team that u do like?

Sami Aslam 8/10
Azhar Ali 8/10
Asad Shafiq 6/10 - should bat at 4.
Younis Khan 5/10 - should retire, his inconsistent batting brilliance doesn't offset too many failures and too many dropped catches.
Misbah-ul-Haq 5/10 - should retire, his consistently mediocre and occasionally good batting doesn't offset his negative captaincy and selections and poor catching.
Babar Azam 7/10 - disgusting choice to drop him for a guy aged over 40.
Mohammad Nawaz 5/10 - work in progress, developing okay.
Sarfraz Ahmed 8/10 - just needs to make bigger scores
Mohammad Amir 7/10 - not doing much wrong, needs slips who can catch.
Yasir Shah 7/10 - doing fine, but needs a captain who doesn't overbowl him in adverse conditions.
Wahab Riaz 7/10 - doing fine, but needs a fourth quick in the attack so he can bowl shorter, faster spells.
Rahat Ali 7/10 - doing fine, playing as well as he can.
Sohail Khan 2/10 - was never test class, now too slow and too short on stamina.
Zulfiqar Babar 2/10 - too old, should never play again.
Imran Khan 1/10 - showed in the side games in England that he is too slow for international cricket and can't bat.

We saw almost all the batsmen struggle against the short-pitched delivery.

That's why they should have been sent to NZ as soon as the series was won. What could have gone wrong - losing the Third Test? They did!

Neil Wagner only bowls around 130K, but his bouncers are going to hurt these under-prepared Pakistanis.

Pakistan need a good 2nd spinner for UAE. Too much dependency on Yasir.

Sami Aslam 8/10
Azhar Ali 8/10
Younis Khan 5/10 - should retire, his inconsistent batting brilliance doesn't offset too many failures and too many dropped catches.
Misbah-ul-Haq 5/10 - should retire, his consistently mediocre and occasionally good batting doesn't offset his negative captaincy and selections and poor catching.
Yasir Shah 7/10 - doing fine, but needs a captain who doesn't overbowl him in adverse conditions.
Wahab Riaz 7/10 - doing fine, but needs a fourth quick in the attack so he can bowl shorter, faster spells.
Imran Khan 1/10 - showed in the side games in England that he is too slow for international cricket and can't bat.

Salman Butt - 10/10 - God's gift to mankind

Nice article and fully agree with Junaid logics. Amir needs supports from fielders to get inspiration and perform better. Zulfi and Sohail should not be in the team for their age and fitness respectably. One of Younis and Misbah has to be in the team and I prefer Younis because his big innings every often. We need to find no. 3 batsman instead of persisting with Shafiq who really belong to either 6 or 7. Sami Aslam has to bat little bit faster. Tuk tuking all day and score 50-70 is not good enough.
Also, we need to find another spinner and fast bowler in place of Nawaz and Sohail. Babar Azam/Sharjeel is not the solution for no. 3

Sami Aslam 8/10
Azhar Ali 8/10

There is no way Sarfraz can be 8/10 whilst Babar is less and Yk is only 5/10 going by your logic.

YK atleast still has the ability to make big scores whilst Sarfraz just scored his first fifty in over a year - he is inconsistent and not a big run scorer whichever way you look at it. An okayish WK and probably a better option than Rizwan still but his place should not be as secure in the team as it is already.

Sami Aslam 8/10
Azhar Ali 8/10

YK should also be ranked higher than Shafiq who is not only overrated but also inconsistent and lacks the temperament for a long innings.

YK should also be ranked higher than Shafiq who is not only overrated but also inconsistent and lacks the temperament for a long innings.

I happen to agree, except when faced with a choice between a 42 year old (betrayed by himself on his age in a recent interview) and a 31 year old, you don't pick the 42 year old.

Nice article and fully agree with Junaid logics. Amir needs supports from fielders to get inspiration and perform better.

Being able to come back into the team after five years of ban and being supported by media, fans and all players is not inspiration enough for him?

Being able to come back into the team after five years of ban and being supported by media, fans and all players is not inspiration enough for him?

How it will help? If plenty of catches miss in his bowling? He only have to rely on hitting stump

Ridicoulous to suggest that Khan and Misbah should retire

They are 42 and 43 years old.

Younis failed in 5 innings out of 6 in South Africa and in 6 innings out of 7 in England. A big double hundred doesn't cancel out so many failures.

He is one of my favourite batsmen ever. But you can't go on forever - you lose your consistency. And Younis has. He had three years ago - he was just kept on life support on docile UAE tracks.

Younis failed in 5 innings out of 6 in South Africa and in 6 innings out of 7 in England. A big double hundred doesn't cancel out so many failures.

He is one of my favourite batsmen ever. But you can't go on forever - you lose your consistency. And Younis has. He had three years ago - he was just kept on life support on docile UAE tracks.

You need experience in places like England and Australia. Younis and Misbah are not going anywhere. Deal with it. :inti

So before our biggest tours,

1) Drop Our Captain
2) Drop Two Senior Batsmen (YK + Misbah)
3) Remove Sohail Khan/Imran Khan/Zulfiqar Babar
4) Remove Rizwan Because You Didn't Even Mention Him
5) Push Shafiq Down To #4 And Demoralize Him

Are you serious? :))

Removing Babar and Imran Khan is okay. Everything else is too much.

I've advocated removing Sohail Khan too, but it doesn't seem like we have a viable option to replace him as they don't want to take Mohammad Asif.

So before our biggest tours,

1) Drop Our Captain
2) Drop Two Senior Batsmen (YK + Misbah)
3) Remove Sohail Khan/Imran Khan/Zulfiqar Babar
4) Remove Rizwan Because You Didn't Even Mention Him
5) Push Shafiq Down To #4 And Demoralize Him

Are you serious? :))

Removing Babar and Imran Khan is okay. Everything else is too much.

I've advocated removing Sohail Khan too, but it doesn't seem like we have a viable option to replace him as they don't want to take Mohammad Asif.

You have not really understood my point at all.

It's too late to discard Younis and Misbah for Australia, but I hope that Misbah retires the day the Sydney Test ends.

My Test team in Australia would be roughly along the lines of:

1. Sami Aslam
2. Azhar Ali
3. Babar Azam
4. Younis Khan
5. Asad Shafiq
6. Misbah
7. Sarfraz
8. Mohammad Amir
9. Yasir Shah
10. Wahab Riaz
11. Mohammad Asif

My tail is strengthened by Sarfraz dropping back down to number 7.

Mohammad Nawaz is unlikely to bowl much except perhaps at Sydney, so I am adding Babar Azam's batting in place of his.

But above all, I'm recognising that Misbah and Younis should both retire at Sydney in January.

I didn't mention Rizwan because he is just the spare wicketkeeper.

You have not really understood my point at all.

It's too late to discard Younis and Misbah for Australia, but I hope that Misbah retires the day the Sydney Test ends.

My Test team in Australia would be roughly along the lines of:

1. Sami Aslam
2. Azhar Ali
3. Babar Azam
4. Younis Khan
5. Asad Shafiq
6. Misbah
7. Sarfraz
8. Mohammad Amir
9. Yasir Shah
10. Wahab Riaz
11. Mohammad Asif

My tail is strengthened by Sarfraz dropping back down to number 7.

Mohammad Nawaz is unlikely to bowl much except perhaps at Sydney, so I am adding Babar Azam's batting in place of his.

But above all, I'm recognising that Misbah and Younis should both retire at Sydney in January.

I didn't mention Rizwan because he is just the spare wicketkeeper.

I don't see Misbah staying after the Australian tour. He's already accomplished the #1 ranking for Pakistan. He wanted to retire last year but the PCB chief told him to stay on until the hard tours went (i.e. NZ and Aus). It was on Cricinfo last year.

YK might want to stay around, but these tours will determine a lot for him.

The lineup you've mentioned is good, but we have to be realistic about Mohammad Asif. He doesn't seem to be on the radar at all unless Sohail Khan gets destroyed in NZ (could happen).

I don't understand why a guy who isn't Pakistani is constantly tearing into bits our players and telling us how the guys who have helped us succeed over a long period of time need to be replaced. The guy is creating threads literally every 10 minutes and constantly spreading disappointment about some of our best players, after one bad game.

You're talking about YK's consistency and in this series he scored a century, a fifty, and a 29 no out in 3 out of 4 innings.

So 3 good scores out of 4 is not consistent?

Guys like Asad Shafiq are a far bigger concern.

You're talking about YK's consistency and in this series he scored a century, a fifty, and a 29 no out in 3 out of 4 innings.

So 3 good scores out of 4 is not consistent?

Guys like Asad Shafiq are a far bigger concern.

Sorry, I simply don't count innings in the UAE. Misbah, Younis and Hafeez have shown that geriatric batsmen with no reflexes are not exposed on the slow, low tracks.

I look at Younis Khan's last two tours outside Asia:

South Africa 2012-13
0 and 15
111 and 14
33 and 11

England 2016 (when for three tests he was a national joke)
33 and 25
1 and 28
31 and 4

I'm sorry, but a Test team can't afford for its number 4 batsman to fail to reach fifty in 11 innings out of 13.

Agreed with some points, but: Amir can bowl fast he just chooses not to. Not sure why. Maybe b/c that's Wahab's role; Sohail Khan will be fine; Yasir has the variations, he just bowls too fast for any of them to be effective. Agree w/everything else.

Both YK and Misbah will come good in NZ/Aus Insha'Allah, as they always manage to do!

I expect a daddy (match/series defining) hundreds from YK, and Misbah is always there to stop Pakistani-top-order-collapse™

Both YK and Misbah are fitter than most SC/International players. They are old, yes, but they take care of themselves.

If we catch >75% of chances in NZ/Australia then game is on :viv

Amir and Wahab have played 20 tests each whilst Yasir has played only 19. Same with Rahat/Sohail Khan and Imran Khan junior. Point is, no matter what we at PP expect from them they are still a rookie test attack #fact

Compare our pacers' no of matches vs someone like Broad(a gun bowler by the way) and you will see experience matters.

Shafiq and Azhar have showed they can score tons against seam/swing/bounce/pace. I am not worried about them.

Azhar - Shafiq - YK - Misbah and Sarfaraz <--- In my humble opinion, we can't have better batting lineup than this. (Pakistani-top-order-collapse™ will always be there even if we select Laras and Tendulkars)

I want NZ and Aussies to bowl short vs Pakistan. We will hit 'em for sixers :sharjeel

Within the span of 4/5 month, if 10-12 catches are dropped in 6 test or so, that can be downer for anybody, most of those catches were of top order, there are only 6 batsmen playing in a team, you don't want to get them out twice.

But I don't think that is/was the only issue, I posted my take on Amir's lack of stellar comeback in http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...st-skills-quot-S-Akhtar&p=8930934#post8930934

Pakistan has to rebuild brand of fast bowling, our identity is sort of lost in desert and under Misbah focus has been shifted away fast bowlers as a major brand...Pakistan is more like India/SL now, first Ajmal and now Yasir. Talent is half the story, developing it is the other half... Misbah can run the tight ship very well, but he will not win award of innovative and charismatic CEO, more like guy who can give you bottomline...

Its not just about Amir but future fast bowlers are not going to develop in this environment.

Yes of course our team is weak for you because it doesn't have your personal favourites in Umar Akmal,Salman Butt,and Muhammad Asif.

Honestly, with all due respect, this has to be one of the most absurd posts I've seen from you. I dont understand why Misbah always has to be made the scapegoat?! Yeah, I get that Younis failed in more innings in Englandthan he was good at BUT what is Misbahs fault here? He was solid in England, solid in UAE, getting good runs and is the main reason we were able to hold the Test mace. Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq arent just simply good enough to lead this team. They fail more often than not and Sarfraz isn't exactly someone who can stick around. The team we've selected is the best team we could've selected.

It's too late for that. The team is what it is. You can't just bring in replacements and expect them to score from day one.

A glaring thing for me is that the test team alone has always done well without pressure. For e.g. do well in the first innings, the spinners get wickets upfront, a big first innings lead but has always faltered under pressure i.e. batting 4th trying to draw the test match, chasing a score, playing for a draw, batting in the 3rd innings facing a decent lead, early loss of wickets.

This team is not as solid as Misbah lobbyists tend to propagate. I was just shocked to see Asad Shafiq who has had a confirmed slot for 6 long years, now he has been given the opportunity to raise his game and take on further responsibilities by batting at no 3 and he faltered badly under a little bit of pressure.

I think it is time to move on from Misbah's defensive nature and captaincy. The team needs a fresh direction and Misbah should be forced to retire after the Australian series for good.

I agree...

People seem to be thinking we have improved immensely with our batting when we are just as brittle

The problem is we are a batsman short. In both innings had we someone like a Babar Azam striding out at 6 would have added crucial depth to the batting order and helped us avert the ensuing disasters.

Frankly speaking, Nawaz isn't a capable enough batsman and neither is his bowling anything to write home about. The less said about Zulfiqar Babar the better. These two are the biggest passengers in the side and need to be done away with ASAP. I would instead play Asghar as the second spinner, or we are very very worried about our batting than Imad as the second spinner.

Imad is a massively better batsman than Nawaz and the only reason the latter got the nod was because apparently he can "spin" the ball.

To add to our woes, our fast bowling is also equally toothless. As has been rightfully said on this forum when Yasir clicks we win the match when he doesn't then Sharjah happens.

My ideal test team:

Sami
Azhar
Asad (not good enough for number 3 though)
Younis
Misbah
Babar
Sarfaraz
Yasir
Amir
Wahab
Asghar/Sohail (depending on where we are playing)

The problem is we are a batsman short. In both innings had we someone like a Babar Azam striding out at 6 would have added crucial depth to the batting order and helped us avert the ensuing disasters.

Frankly speaking, Nawaz isn't a capable enough batsman and neither is his bowling anything to write home about. The less said about Zulfiqar Babar the better. These two are the biggest passengers in the side and need to be done away with ASAP. I would instead play Asghar as the second spinner, or we are very very worried about our batting than Imad as the second spinner.

Imad is a massively better batsman than Nawaz and the only reason the latter got the nod was because apparently he can "spin" the ball.

To add to our woes, our fast bowling is also equally toothless. As has been rightfully said on this forum when Yasir clicks we win the match when he doesn't then Sharjah happens.

My ideal test team:

Sami
Azhar
Asad (not good enough for number 3 though)
Younis
Misbah
Babar
Sarfaraz
Yasir
Amir
Wahab
Asghar/Sohail (depending on where we are playing)

If you don't think Asad is a number 3 he can be swapped with Babar. Remember Babar is use to batting up the order anyway,it's pathetic management before Arthur who try to have him down the order.:facepalm:

If you don't think Asad is a number 3 he can be swapped with Babar. Remember Babar is use to batting up the order anyway,it's pathetic management before Arthur who try to have him down the order.:facepalm:

Babar at 3 with his short ball weakness in Australia is a recipe for disaster.

Babar at 3 with his short ball weakness in Australia is a recipe for disaster.

His short ball weakness isn't as bad as made out. Mickey said he's not worried about it and is working on the problem.

YK and Misbah were being called dinosaurs before the England tour yet without them Pakistan would have probably lost that series. And now again there are calls for them to retire

Sure given they are both in their early 40s they are not at their best but they are still better than the alternatives.

His short ball weakness isn't as bad as made out. Mickey said he's not worried about it and is working on the problem.

Mickey also said Asad Shafiq reminds him of Tendulkar. Mickey also praises Misbah and Younus a lot. If we go by Mickey's words then this thread doesn't make any sense.

Mickey also said Asad Shafiq reminds him of Tendulkar. Mickey also praises Misbah and Younus a lot. If we go by Mickey's words then this thread doesn't make any sense.

If you know anything about Arthur that than you will know he wants to work with younger players but he can't just kick Misbah and Younis out of the team.

Also what he said about Asad Shafiq he didn't say he's as good Sachin just there are similarities in technical terms.

Mickey has done a lot for our team since he started.

Hi Junaids,

First of all, thanks for a good post and in-depth analysis. I read between the lines that you are anxious about the upcoming tours of NZ & Aus, and that's completely normal. I agree 100% with your assessment of each bowler and also on the issue of how they have been used in the field by captain!

... is increasingly true of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan. Yes, they came second and third in the averages and averaged 69 and 49 respectively. But that is less than half the story. As is increasingly the case for them - and is always the case for 43 year old batsmen - they have lost their consistency: they rack up one or two big scores per series and miss out more often than they succeed. But it's worse than that. Misbah and Younis are the primary causes of Mohammad Amir's mediocre bowling average since his return.

Here is where I completely disagree. You used a good portion of your analysis to talk about how YK/Misbah need to go:

YK- hit a masterful century here. Take it out, we lose the series to West Indies. Take out his double-century in the series before: we lose the series to England. He might give you a few low scores, but when he gets his century, Pakistan tend to win that game. Mix that with the fact that he has one of the best century/game ratio ever: he's a proven match-winner & might well be our KEY batsman in Oceania.

Misbah- His shot selection this series was atrocious, and apparently the coach blames the lack of rest. Let's hope the management sorts out this fatigue issue quickly! We need him to lead the side just from the calmness and stability he brings. Are you telling me he won't score runs in the upcoming tours? Surely you should be more confidence in him than that!

Your point about their catching is valid, but it basically rings true for our entire team. This is why my signature has been for a while that our team needs to become professional about fielding; it's our BIGGEST weakness and it's a shame that it hasn't improved. But to say that YK/Misbah are the weak links in this regard is just not true.

I think we do not have any reason to fear that YK/Misbah will suddenly stop batting well in the next two tours. Even with Azhar's excellent performances recently, I still rate YK & Misbah our #1 and #2. Azhar and Sarfaraz follow them. One true concern is Asad Shafiq at 1-down. He has been abysmal at that spot in his short stint. I would keep him there for NZ tour. If he fails there across four innings, perhaps it would be worth moving him back to his old position.

An all-rounder is not going to work for Pakistan. They need to play their tested combination.

6 batsman (at least 2 should be able to bowl part-time)
1 keeper
1 spinner
3 pacers

So, the 15-player squad looks like this:

1. Azhar (+ part-timer)
2. Sami/Shehzad
3. Babar (+ part-timer)
4. Younis
5. Misbah
6. Asad
7. Sarfraz/Rizwan
8. Yasir
9. Wahab
10. Aamir/Rahat
11. Sohail/Asif

An all-rounder is not going to work for Pakistan. They need to play their tested combination.

6 batsman (at least 2 should be able to bowl part-time)
1 keeper
1 spinner
3 pacers

So, the 15-player squad looks like this:

1. Azhar (+ part-timer)
2. Sami/Shehzad
3. Babar (+ part-timer)
4. Younis
5. Misbah
6. Asad
7. Sarfraz/Rizwan
8. Yasir
9. Wahab
10. Aamir/Rahat
11. Sohail/Asif

A part timer is not going to cut it against quality sides. They will cash in on part time stuff and take full toll, you have to play an all rounder in conditions in England, Australia and even New Zealand. 4 full time bowlers only are not going to cut it, they will be jaded and that will have implications for the whole game as bowlers lose effectiveness. The 5th bowler has to be as good as the 4 proper bowlers. This is where Hafeez was so underappreciated.

The 5th bowler has to be a pace bowling allrounder.

A part timer is not going to cut it against quality sides. They will cash in on part time stuff and take full toll, you have to play an all rounder in conditions in England, Australia and even New Zealand. 4 full time bowlers only are not going to cut it, they will be jaded and that will have implications for the whole game as bowlers lose effectiveness. The 5th bowler has to be as good as the 4 proper bowlers. This is where Hafeez was so underappreciated.

4 bowlers won Pakistan the series in England. 4 bowlers + an all-rounder got Pakistan a close series and one test loss vs West Indies.

An all-rounder will only work if he can really bat.

4 bowlers won Pakistan the series in England. 4 bowlers + an all-rounder got Pakistan a close series and one test loss vs West Indies.

An all-rounder will only work if he can really bat.

Check again. The 4 bowlers also lost Pakistan the 2nd and 3rd test match. Pakistan won the first test because England didn't bat well and long enough. England realized that they just had to play Yasir Shah well and the other 3 pacers would get jaded by bowling long spells. You need a proper 5th bowler who can bowl reliably and ease the work load on the other bowlers.

You have Aamir Yamin, Aamad Butt, Hasan Ali as pace bowlers who can bat in domestic cricket.

No they don't. Chill out, the knee jerk reactions are real on PP.

We lost one match, we still won the series. Obviously there are problems with the team but the wrist slitting has been crazy, pretty much the same team was applauded so much after England.

Everything is settled now.

Azhar, Sami, Younis, Misbah, Shafiq, Sarfraz, Amir, Wahab, Yasir select themselves. Nine out of eleven players.

Issue 1: Batsman or all rounder

Misbah will be tempted to go with Nawaz, but I'd be more comfortable playing another batsman. I liked the all rounder idea, but Nawaz is not good enough with the bat, so if that's the case and Imad doesn't look up to the job either, then we might as well play another batsman. Babar, and apparently Sharjeel (?) prospects.

Issue 2: Shafiq's batting position

3 or 6? (I prefer six)

Issue 3: Third seamer

Rahat or SK?

Solution:
You just want a relief bowler as your fifth bowler, so try Azhar Ali. Younis Khan can bowl some dibbly dobblies! Team balance needs six batsman, especially in those conditions. BOUNCE and pace.

Last edited:
The West Indies made us look far better then what we are. It's just that they are so poor, Pak are an average side at best.

Nope. Pakistan is still a very formidable side. The problem is that they are tinkering with a settled side. Shafiq is not a number 3, and Azhar Ali is too important to make him opener. His style is perfect for number 3. Misbah and Younis are still very consistent despite what you say. They will undoubtedly be essential in Australia/NZ.
For success in Australia, Mohammad Hafeez needs to come in (if he clears the bowling test), Azhar Ali should move back to 3, YK at 4, Shafiq at 5 and Misbah at 6 (Shafiq and Misbah can interchange positions if need be).
The problem vs WI was the lower middle order had no depth. Previously, Shafiq would bail Pakistan out of precarious situations along with Sarfraz (note that they both understand each other well, having both played together in Karachi). Nawaz isn't good enough at 7.
As soon as Pakistan reinforce the middle order, they will be piling on 350+ every innings again.

In test,I don't think so. They look as good as they are. Thanks to the seniors who are still hanging on. Best of luck for the future when these seniors retire. Hope they remain same.

If you know anything about Arthur that than you will know he wants to work with younger players but he can't just kick Misbah and Younis out of the team.

Also what he said about Asad Shafiq he didn't say he's as good Sachin just there are similarities in technical terms.

Mickey has done a lot for our team since he started.

May be I worded it wrongly but what I am trying to say is that when you ask a coach about any player in the team he will say encouraging words. He cannot say oh you know that is a crap player. If you read this interview anybody in the team currently or recently, he said good words. He may blast them in private but not publicly, that how it goes most of the time.

May be I worded it wrongly but what I am trying to say is that when you ask a coach about any player in the team he will say encouraging words. He cannot say oh you know that is a crap player. If you read this interview anybody in the team currently or recently, he said good words. He may blast them in private but not publicly, that how it goes most of the time.

Privately he will be more harsh but infront of the media he will be honest and try to give players confidence

SA had 4 specialist bowlers. Check out what they did to AUS at the WACA.

IMO PAK will be fine with 4 specialist bowlers and Azhar's legspin (he has a nice googly tho). We need 6 specialist batsmen+Sarfraz because our batsmen might take time to acclimatise and because Nawaz is not a test-class allrounder. I'd gladly select Sharjeel in AUS because he plays cut/pull/hook perfectly. Babar should only play in NZ because he might have problems with the bounce in AUS.

Ideal XI
Sami
Sharjeel/Babar(Babar in NZ at #6 and Sharjeel opening in AUS)
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Asad
Sarfraz
Amir
Yasir
Wahab
Rahat/Sohail(depending on pitch)

Agreed with some points, but: Amir can bowl fast he just chooses not to. Not sure why. Maybe b/c that's Wahab's role; Sohail Khan will be fine; Yasir has the variations, he just bowls too fast for any of them to be effective. Agree w/everything else.
Because Amir personally tells you "he chooses not to" bowl fast.

SA had 4 specialist bowlers. Check out what they did to AUS at the WACA.

IMO PAK will be fine with 4 specialist bowlers and Azhar's legspin (he has a nice googly tho). We need 6 specialist batsmen+Sarfraz because our batsmen might take time to acclimatise and because Nawaz is not a test-class allrounder. I'd gladly select Sharjeel in AUS because he plays cut/pull/hook perfectly. Babar should only play in NZ because he might have problems with the bounce in AUS.

Ideal XI
Sami
Sharjeel/Babar(Babar in NZ at #6 and Sharjeel opening in AUS)
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Asad
Sarfraz
Amir
Yasir
Wahab
Rahat/Sohail(depending on pitch)
Contrary to SA, Pakistan don't have any world class fast bowlers.

I think you haven't seen Test Matches regularly. Misbah very very rarely stands at slips. I was really surprised when I saw Misbah standing at slips in Sharjah. Mohammad Hafeez and Younis Khan have been the regulars at slip.

Even Waqar Younis said during England series that he tried to remove Hafeez from slips and ask Misbah to stand there, but Misbah likes to stand Mid-on/Mid-off and constantly be in talk with the bowler.

You can't make these kind of changes so sudden. This is not a way to build a team. Misbah is probably going to retire after Australia tour and 6 months or so, Younis will also. And till then we can make few changes such as getting a new second spinner, modifying our fast bowling line-up.

Plus isn't Mohammad Asif going to be 34 this year? You're against oldies like Misbah, Younis & Zulfiqar, but wanting a 34yo fast bowler.

The same was said for the recent ENG tour and we all saw how "world class" Broad and Anderson performed compared to our fast bowlers.
By our fast "bowlers" I hope your solely referring to Sohail Khan. Amir, Wahab and Rahat were mediocre to say the least.

The same was said for the recent ENG tour and we all saw how "world class" Broad and Anderson performed compared to our fast bowlers.

Rabada, Philander and Steyn are ALL better than any of our pacers

Rabada, Philander and Steyn are ALL better than any of our pacers

Sure they are but Steyn was injured so basically they were playing with only 2 fast bowlers. Yet they were able to test AUS batsmen. I'm pretty sure that 3 of our fast bowlers, barring Imran, can challenge the aussie batsmen.

By our fast "bowlers" I hope your solely referring to Sohail Khan. Amir, Wahab and Rahat were mediocre to say the least.

I do agree with this but I was talking solely about wickets not averages. The English bowlers were much more disciplined otherwise we were pretty much at the same level. In fact, a few of Rahat's and Amir's deliveries were absolute jaffas. I feel that if we will be more disciplined then we can match most bowling attacks in the world in terms of quality.

Back