Pakistan's batters: The kings of doing the bare minimum

TheSultan

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
How many times will we see this?

A Pakistan batter reaches 50 and thinks their job is done. 'They can't drop me now.' No concern for the match's outcome, just a focus on personal milestones.

It's time for extreme measures to eliminate this mindset. Drop every batter who throws their wicket away after 50 or gets out to a lazy shot. We can't help the exceptional cases, but for the rest, action is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If every Pakistani cricketer did the bare minimum on a consistent basis they would successful breach the Top 6.

Hence it’s not about BM but about consistency.

There's a popular phrase for this: career saving 55s.

How many times will we see this?

A Pakistan batter reaches 50 and thinks their job is done. 'They can't drop me now.' No concern for the match's outcome, just a focus on personal milestones.

It's time for extreme measures to eliminate this mindset. Drop every batter who throws their wicket away after 50 or gets out to a lazy shot. We can't help the exceptional cases, but for the rest, action is needed.
No one is throwing their wicket away man, they just suck plain and simple. Only agha threw his wicket away and was playing rubbish by giving strike to batters who cannot bat.

I don't think it is a question of thinking this is enough. But more of the lack of mental application to stay at the wicket for longer periods of time.

And this is not just a Pakistani problem but a world wide issue thanks to T20s. Players find it harder and harder to apply themselves and concentrate for hours altogether.

With Pakistan the problem is exacerbated because they inherently have mediocre batters and so even on good days they find it difficult to get past 2 hours of batting, unless it is an absolute road where they can play with 50% application and still score runs.

That is why despite the pitch being decent, Pakistan got bundled out for 140 odd in the 2nd innings in the last test. Right now, they have only 2 batters who have / had the ability to play the long game - Rizwan and Babar. Rizwan already did it in the first innings and probably was tired and Babar is going through a lean patch so he's unable to do that either.

Saim is a waste. Abdullah in the WC in India showed his potential. He can dominate world cricket if he gets the confidence.
Even in the World Cup, his strike rotation against pace was mediocre.

I called his failures in Australia tour before the tour even began.

He is a bit of a timid mental midget type and he won't take pace on.

Also, I'm fairly certain he's not 24 and more likely 27 ish.

Saim may be a waste in the future but he is the one with the highest ceiling for a variety of reasons.

Mohammad Haris has ability too . But I'm not sure he can make it either.

Even in the World Cup, his strike rotation against pace was mediocre.

I called his failures in Australia tour before the tour even began.

He is a bit of a timid mental midget type and he won't take pace on.

Also, I'm fairly certain he's not 24 and more likely 27 ish.

Saim may be a waste in the future but he is the one with the highest ceiling for a variety of reasons.

Mohammad Haris has ability too . But I'm not sure he can make it either.

Let's discuss in 5 years

Pakistani batsmen are master of scoring soft runs especially Babar. I am yet to see a impactful innings from him on a challenging surface

Pakistani batsmen are master of scoring soft runs especially Babar. I am yet to see a impactful innings from him on a challenging surface
Babar is useless but that doesnt mean shafiq and saim would be too.I am hopeful they will be world-class in 5 years time.

They aren’t used to making 100s regularly. I’m sure they are tying. When you get used to it, it becomes much easier. It’s like how in tennis when you win one grand slam, you’ll likely to win many more.

Saim isn’t even used to churning out the runs in domestic yet he’s hardly played.

Masood is used to be the weakest batsman in the team, overshadowed by the rest. Abdullah again probably lack of experience. One of the reasons I feel saud did score centuries is because it reached to the point in domestic he was hitting them for fun. Agha doesn’t feel like a main batsman more like a utility cricketer so isn’t that guy you rely on for the big hundred.

Babar right now is low on form and confidence, hence he’s going to struggle until he hits form again. Harder to hit those big scores again when you’ve gone on a barren run.

This fixes itself when you have a majority line up who are performing. Easier to blood in new guys and support them with less pressure. But when you only have one or two batsmen performing at a time, it just doesn’t work.

They aren’t used to making 100s regularly. I’m sure they are tying. When you get used to it, it becomes much easier. It’s like how in tennis when you win one grand slam, you’ll likely to win many more.

Saim isn’t even used to churning out the runs in domestic yet he’s hardly played.

Masood is used to be the weakest batsman in the team, overshadowed by the rest. Abdullah again probably lack of experience. One of the reasons I feel saud did score centuries is because it reached to the point in domestic he was hitting them for fun. Agha doesn’t feel like a main batsman more like a utility cricketer so isn’t that guy you rely on for the big hundred.

Babar right now is low on form and confidence, hence he’s going to struggle until he hits form again. Harder to hit those big scores again when you’ve gone on a barren run.

This fixes itself when you have a majority line up who are performing. Easier to blood in new guys and support them with less pressure. But when you only have one or two batsmen performing at a time, it just doesn’t work.
Bobby ain't hitting his form again until he gets rid of his ego which he's incapable of doing.

Dude is unwilling to admit he's unfit, and that his technique has issues

Pakistan batters " the king of doing the unthinkable". "The kings who cannot even perform at home"

Bobby ain't hitting his form again until he gets rid of his ego which he's incapable of doing.

Dude is unwilling to admit he's unfit, and that his technique has issues
When he came on the scene he looked like a generational talent.
Elegant, had all the shots etc

But he hasn’t kicked on and his game has totally stagnated — he has no sensible role in T20, his Test performances are woeful and ODIs aren’t played much (and have no relevance apart from close to the World Cup).

He hasn’t worked on his game, being content to get the adulation of home fans.
Self reflection is clearly not part of his make-up — someone needs to give him a wake up call and drop him; his last score over 50 in a Test was almost two years ago…

No player should be “undroppable” — even Root was dropped by England at one stage and truly is a generational talent.

When he came on the scene he looked like a generational talent.
Elegant, had all the shots etc

But he hasn’t kicked on and his game has totally stagnated — he has no sensible role in T20, his Test performances are woeful and ODIs aren’t played much (and have no relevance apart from close to the World Cup).

He hasn’t worked on his game, being content to get the adulation of home fans.
Self reflection is clearly not part of his make-up — someone needs to give him a wake up call and drop him; his last score over 50 in a Test was almost two years ago…

No player should be “undroppable” — even Root was dropped by England at one stage and truly is a generational talent.
Babar was never a generational talent.

People think elegance = Generational talent but it doesn't. Amd yousaf was more elegant then Babar and far more classy, and unlike bobby yousaf got pakistan over the line.

Yousaf has 15 odi centuries, 14 of them pakistan won and 10 of them he went not out in, he also has numerous 50's in which pakistan won and he went not out taking pak over the line.

Meanwhile Babar has only 5 centuries against top quality teams. The other 14 are against C teams. And from these 5 only NZ game was won.

Sa game was one by tailenders with Babar leaving when the team needed him the most. The 2 centuries against England were lost causes and his century against australia in 2017 was a joke.

Babar in his prime deserves cresit for being consistent. It's not easy to score 3 back to back centuries against any opposition even if it's west indies crapola bowling, but let's face it, He was always just a soft run scorer.

He even in his prime was always a bootleg version of yousaf, one who could accumulate but was never a match winner.

Rn he's a total taile ender, he regressed beyond belief and is a shadow of his 2019-2021 self.

Babar was never a generational talent.

People think elegance = Generational talent but it doesn't. Amd yousaf was more elegant then Babar and far more classy, and unlike bobby yousaf got pakistan over the line.

Yousaf has 15 odi centuries, 14 of them pakistan won and 10 of them he went not out in, he also has numerous 50's in which pakistan won and he went not out taking pak over the line.

Meanwhile Babar has only 5 centuries against top quality teams. The other 14 are against C teams. And from these 5 only NZ game was won.

Sa game was one by tailenders with Babar leaving when the team needed him the most. The 2 centuries against England were lost causes and his century against australia in 2017 was a joke.

Babar in his prime deserves cresit for being consistent. It's not easy to score 3 back to back centuries against any opposition even if it's west indies crapola bowling, but let's face it, He was always just a soft run scorer.

He even in his prime was always a bootleg version of yousaf, one who could accumulate but was never a match winner.

Rn he's a total taile ender, he regressed beyond belief and is a shadow of his 2019-2021 self.
If you read my post I said he “looked” like a generational talent, not that he was one.

This is a huge difference and I would be the first to say elegance does not equate with being a generational talent — if that were the case one, one would struggle to place Javed Miandad (who was exceptional but kinda ugly as a player) as a generational talent, which would be foolish.

If you read my post I said he “looked” like a generational talent, not that he was one.

This is a huge difference and I would be the first to say elegance does not equate with being a generational talent — if that were the case one, one would struggle to place Javed Miandad (who was exceptional but kinda ugly as a player) as a generational talent, which would be foolish.
Sorry I misread, but I was not trying to correct you, I was agreeing with you more or less. Just giving my own opinion on the subject.

And will perhaps celebrate like martyrs if ever get a double ton.
How does it feel that your allrounder got showed by 2 wicket keepers from Bangladesh.

Rahim in the 1st test and Das in the 2nd who showed how to professionally bat with tail enders unlike rizzu who gave so much strike to the fragile tail

Sorry I misread, but I was not trying to correct you, I was agreeing with you more or less. Just giving my own opinion on the subject.
All good — this is exactly what the forum should be about — sharing and swapping different opinions and views 👍

How does it feel that your allrounder got showed by 2 wicket keepers from Bangladesh.

Rahim in the 1st test and Das in the 2nd who showed how to professionally bat with tail enders unlike rizzu who gave so much strike to the fragile tail
Riz accepts any kind of constructive criticism. He always has this urge to improve and up his game.

This is true. And that is a big reason why after Afridi/Razzaq era there has not been a single finisher. That's going back over 10 years.

PCB, contract, money, stability, is good enough to leech for all players.

Need to bring quality foreign batting coaches at domestic and junior level.

Back