Pat Cummins and Alex Hales withdraw from 2023 IPL tournament

Fenrir

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Indian Premier League: Pat Cummins and Alex Hales withdraw from 2023 tournament

Pat Cummins and Alex Hales have withdrawn from the 2023 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Cummins and Hales were set to play for Kolkata Knight Riders in the competition that starts on 25 March.

T20 World Cup winner Hales has withdrawn because of his workload, having also signed franchise deals in Australia, Pakistan and the UAE.

Australia Test captain Cummins said he wants to rest before the Ashes and 50 over World Cup in 2023.

Cummins, 29, has also taken over his country's one-day international (ODI) side after Aaron Finch's retirement.

"The international schedule is packed with Tests and ODIs for the next 12 months," he wrote on social media.

"I will take some rest ahead of an Ashes series and World Cup."

Australia have a Test series against West Indies in November, before series against South Africa and India precede the Ashes in July 2023.

The 50-over World Cup follows in India in October 2023.

Before all that, Australia face England in a three-match ODI series, which starts on Thursday in Adelaide, though Hales is not part of that squad.

That opening match comes just four days after Sunday's T20 World Cup final and England all-rounder Moeen Ali has described the timing of the series as "horrible".

In the summer, England Test captain Ben Stokes announced his sudden ODI retirement and said it should be a "wake-up call" to cricket's authorities.

England batter Sam Billings has also withdrawn from the IPL, saying he wants to focus on the County Championship with Kent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63635343

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news.
Foreign players are skipping IPL for international commitments but Indians do vice versa.
IPL should be banned or reduced it's schedule for good of international cricket.

I think Cummins just doesn't like T20 that much. Seems better suited to other formats and relishes Tests. Just an individual choice. Some players love it.

He's in the fortunate position of being a very high earner, very marketable and wise investments himself (university business degree) so can afford to avoid IPL if he chooses and focus on longevity.

Cummins isn't cut out for T20s anymore. He should focus on test cricket. Hales could have been a good addition but I don't remember him playing many IPLs. He was a regular in PSL

I think Cummins just doesn't like T20 that much. Seems better suited to other formats and relishes Tests. Just an individual choice. Some players love it.

He's in the fortunate position of being a very high earner, very marketable and wise investments himself (university business degree) so can afford to avoid IPL if he chooses and focus on longevity.

High earner as in due to his high end contract with Cricket Australia or due to the business degree?

Big blow to IPL, Billings also skipping it, may be in the product life cycle stage IPL has entered maturity stage

Maybe some who don't care as much about the $$$ are starting to prefer other options as IPL has become longer in duration. Also next t20 world cup is far off so perhaps another reason not to be focusing too much on t20s next year.

I think players will only play 2 months straight in the IPL if the money is significant ie above $500,000 atleast.

High earner as in due to his high end contract with Cricket Australia or due to the business degree?

Cricket Australia, also being a very desirable marketing commodity for sponsorships due to popularity, captaincy, looks, well spoken etc. He'd be making more than his CA contract this way.

The business knowledge at least means he's investing his money wisely also, if his interviews are to be believed.

This is a good indication that these players will start pulling out from IPL if its duration keeps increasing. There is a huge difference between playing cricket and staying in England as compared to India. Also Bumrah should learn from these guys who have started to realise their priorities. :inti

Good news.
Foreign players are skipping IPL for international commitments but Indians do vice versa.
IPL should be banned or reduced it's schedule for good of international cricket.

What happened? When I and others were saying the same thing you were going after us. What has changed now? Aur khelo IPL. :kp :inti

Hales pullout from IPL is a real shock. Cummins is really a mediocre bowler in T20 arena nothing special.

Good decision for Cummins. His workload across formats has been insane since 2017.

He's not much of a T20 bowler now anyway without that extra speed and lack of variations. Nedds to focus on longer formats

Hales never made it big in IPL. cummins' recent form has been poor in T20s. some players taking rest happens in every season.
what's funny is how members here wish IPL's brand gets reduced and all. been hearing from 2009 that it is not sustainable, people will get bored etc but league has only been on the uproar. It will keep getting bigger and bigger.

The issue us the length. The IPL us getting longer and many players who want to play in England will skip it if they have played a decent winter. Could it be that the window may become a double edged sword?

I think many of the more established English stars will skip this year and come back next Yr due to the WC. Also aussies who will be in the test ashes squad.

The PSL's shorter duration is a better prospect for some inmho

Other than Cummins hitting Sam Curran for 5 sixes in one over i don't recall him donig anything special in th IPl. Very average bowler in the IPL.

The issue us the length. The IPL us getting longer and many players who want to play in England will skip it if they have played a decent winter. Could it be that the window may become a double edged sword?

I think many of the more established English stars will skip this year and come back next Yr due to the WC. Also aussies who will be in the test ashes squad.

The PSL's shorter duration is a better prospect for some inmho

Desi fans prefer quantity over quality. The poster above you is a pretty good example of what exactly is wrong with Indian cricket these days. Hales decided to opt out and rather than understanding the reason/problem behind his decision he is making fun of Hales. Why does Hales need to prove himself in IPL when he can easily smash Indian bowlers to all corners of the ground in a World Cup match? Some of these fans will never learn. They will forget everything before the next IPL. :inti

Hales never made it big in IPL. cummins' recent form has been poor in T20s. some players taking rest happens in every season.
what's funny is how members here wish IPL's brand gets reduced and all. been hearing from 2009 that it is not sustainable, people will get bored etc but league has only been on the uproar. It will keep getting bigger and bigger.

As a fan how much bigger (in terms of duration) do you want it to get?

Good decision. Hope KL Rahul also takes a break from IPL and go for a trip to Himalaya. :inti

Desi fans prefer quantity over quality. The poster above you is a pretty good example of what exactly is wrong with Indian cricket these days. Hales decided to opt out and rather than understanding the reason/problem behind his decision he is making fun of Hales. Why does Hales need to prove himself in IPL when he can easily smash Indian bowlers to all corners of the ground in a World Cup match? Some of these fans will never learn. They will forget everything before the next IPL. :inti

Look I'm no fan of the IPL but I understand why it is appealing. I just feel India have it wrong. Keeping the length tight will make the tournie more exciting. Perhaps reducing the teams or changing the format to two groups etc..ultimately as players start to play around the world they may feel tge IPL can be skipped and they can name decent money elsewhere.

The PSL is a good alternative coz the cricket is top class.. and it's short..so you can play that
.play UAE..take a break and be ready for tge England domestic to earn more..

Look I'm no fan of the IPL but I understand why it is appealing. I just feel India have it wrong. Keeping the length tight will make the tournie more exciting. Perhaps reducing the teams or changing the format to two groups etc..ultimately as players start to play around the world they may feel tge IPL can be skipped and they can name decent money elsewhere.

The PSL is a good alternative coz the cricket is top class.. and it's short..so you can play that
.play UAE..take a break and be ready for tge England domestic to earn more..

This is why I said desi fans prefer quantity over quality. They are not even willing to listen to any criticism towards IPL let alone reducing its length. And many indian fans have also started disliking IPL after looking at Indian team performances in ICC tournaments and timely unavailability of players like Bumrah. :inti

This is a good indication that these players will start pulling out from IPL if its duration keeps increasing. There is a huge difference between playing cricket and staying in England as compared to India.

This is true. If you take the money away, not a single t20 player would go to play in the IPL. They would rush towards the Big Bash League, Natwest Blast in England or the laidback Carribean Premier League.

This is such a tunnel visioned post. No sporting competition can go two plus months and maintain a top level of quality and player investment. BCCI currently have money in the bank from sponsors and right holders, so they’re not fussed. However, having a ten team league will eventually kill fan interest, especially as you get more aggressive player burnout and numerous dead rubbers.

The 8 team version, whilst long, was the most tolerable length. With this 2month format, you’ll begin to see diminishing returns in terms of interest in future years.

This is true. If you take the money away, not a single t20 player would go to play in the IPL. They would rush towards the Big Bash League, Natwest Blast in England or the laidback Carribean Premier League.

You take the money out of these leagues, none of them will even exist.

Yeah, the length of IPL is the worst part. Teams should not play more than 10-12 games per tournament. Heck, even if in the round robin stage you had 10 teams which compete for another super-4 stage where the qualifying teams play each other again to compete for a final. That way 6 teams are playing 9 games each, 2 are playing 12 games each and 2 teams are playing 13. I generally watched IPL pre-covid. During covid i had little to do so did watch at night but not so interested. This year i only watched the final.

Too many games, too many teams which reduces the importance of each game.

IPL will never be the main form of cricket. It is lifeless. Cricketing mercenaries in it for a paycheck. That’s it.

And there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s great cricketers get to make the same money as MLB or NFL stars.

Top players who are choosing to play in IPL instead of their national teams are coming under a lot of criticism.I expect more big players to skip IPL in future.Top players are not short of money.The lower ranked and emerging players will still play because of money.However the novelty of T20 is wearing off.Too many leagues have started and IPL has become too long.People will start losing interest.

IPL will never be the main form of cricket. It is lifeless. Cricketing mercenaries in it for a paycheck. That’s it.

And there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s great cricketers get to make the same money as MLB or NFL stars.

It was never meant to be the main form of cricket. League cricket is there to entertain fans, give them something extra. The main form of the game will always remain international cricket. I don’t think IPL or any other league will prosper without international cricket.

Top players who are choosing to play in IPL instead of their national teams are coming under a lot of criticism.I expect more big players to skip IPL in future.Top players are not short of money.The lower ranked and emerging players will still play because of money.However the novelty of T20 is wearing off.Too many leagues have started and IPL has become too long.People will start losing interest.

This seems to be in direct contrast to Disney, Viacom/Reliance outlook. They have bet the largest amount of money ever in cricket.

I guess we will have to wait and see which direction things head.

The way that game is evolving and with the sheer volume of cricket that is being played, more and more cricketers will have to take that call in the end — would they prefer to prioritise international cricket, or are they focused on building a profile in global T20 leagues? It’s a very personal decision and will depend a lot on each cricketer’s individual circumstances. I can see arguments in favour of both career paths.

Pat Cummins and Alex Hales have withdrawn from the 2023 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Cummins and Hales were set to play for Kolkata Knight Riders in the competition that starts on 25 March.

T20 World Cup winner Hales has withdrawn because of his workload, having also signed franchise deals in Australia, Pakistan and the UAE.

Australia Test captain Cummins said he wants to rest before the Ashes and 50 over World Cup in 2023.

Cummins, 29, has also taken over his country's one-day international (ODI) side after Aaron Finch's retirement.

"The international schedule is packed with Tests and ODIs for the next 12 months," he wrote on social media.

"I will take some rest ahead of an Ashes series and World Cup."

Australia have a Test series against West Indies in November, before series against South Africa and India precede the Ashes in July 2023.

The 50-over World Cup follows in India in October 2023.

Before all that, Australia face England in a three-match ODI series, which starts on Thursday in Adelaide, though Hales is not part of that squad.

That opening match comes just four days after Sunday's T20 World Cup final and England all-rounder Moeen Ali has described the timing of the series as "horrible".

In the summer, England Test captain Ben Stokes announced his sudden ODI retirement and said it should be a "wake-up call" to cricket's authorities.

England batter Sam Billings has also withdrawn from the IPL, saying he wants to focus on the County Championship with Kent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63635343

I hope more will follow.

IPL runs on white skin players. If they stop participating, the entire league will take a nose dive

No one is going to spend or invest, this much money when Indians play between themselves with a few players from WI SL and Bangla.

IPL runs on white skin players. If they stop participating, the entire league will take a nose dive
No one is going to spend or invest, this much money when Indians play between themselves with a few players from WI SL and Bangla.

If they just wanted to see white players, audience would tune in to the BBL or T20 Blast.

The way that game is evolving and with the sheer volume of cricket that is being played, more and more cricketers will have to take that call in the end — would they prefer to prioritise international cricket, or are they focused on building a profile in global T20 leagues? It’s a very personal decision and will depend a lot on each cricketer’s individual circumstances. I can see arguments in favour of both career paths.

It will be a mixture of both. Cummins being the captain is already in good space. Can't say the same about fringe players whose career may or may not last long. When you get opportunity you take it. Especially players who do well against India gets the highest bid. Sam Curran, Jamieson are a couple of examples Generally they are very early in their career. Odds of them declining the offer is very less.

If they just wanted to see white players, audience would tune in to the BBL or T20 Blast.

Unless you are playing dumb?
They want to see white players playing along side Indian players and white players against Indian players.

If Indians were all that into watching only Indian players then your Ranjhi trophy would’ve also earned millions and billions and gazillions in broadcasting rights and media deals with packed grounds.

I challenge you again, take the white players out of IPL and play only with top star players from Bangla, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and WI, and see how the interest graph among India viewers taking free fall. lol
No wonder these fair n lovely and other skin whitening “magic creams” are sold n used so heavily among Indians.

They want to see white players playing along side Indian players and white players against Indian players.

They want to see indian players alongside or against white players .. what is the reason for that ?

Coming back to the leagues. Say you are Sam billings and you might get a shot at a ashes summer t20 bash and the hundred. Why would you play the IPL when you can play about two or three weeks of PSl against some high quality pace and spin..and prior to that a couple of weeks in the uae.

You'll be back home by say March..chill for three weeks and then ready for English domestic season..

Ultimately the Aussies and English will look to prioritise their own domestic and international seasons. England have become double white ball champs so will probably encourage younger players to play IPL but will they get picked up?

I think the next 12 months will be interesting as we may be getting to an interesting point in t20 league play..

They want to see indian players alongside or against white players .. what is the reason for that ?

An unconscious hidden yearning somewhere in the back of the mind - you know, the fair n lovely cream?

If Indians were all that into watching only Indian players then your Ranjhi trophy would’ve also earned millions and billions and gazillions in broadcasting rights and media deals with packed grounds.

I challenge you again, take the white players out of IPL and play only with top star players from Bangla, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and WI, and see how the interest graph among India viewers taking free fall. lol
No wonder these fair n lovely and other skin whitening “magic creams” are sold n used so heavily among Indians.

That is a "colorist" take on it. West Indian players are more popular than any "white' players. Infact they are the quintessential crowd pullers among all the foreign players. Then guys like Malinga are always box office stars in the IPL. Imran Tahir has his own following from CSK fans. The undeserving Aussie fringe players are the ones who brought down the quality down somewhat.

Last edited:
Australia skipper Pat Cummins says while he would love Cameron Green to focus all his energy playing for the national team, he will not take away the opportunity to compete in the IPL from the young all-rounder. The 23-year-old, touted as the future of Australian cricket, had impressed on the tour of India while opening the innings in the absence of David Warner. He had smashed two blistering half-centuries and averaged 39.22 for the series with a strike rate of 214.54.

Green’s power-hitting prowess and his genuine pace with the ball is likely to have teams bidding for him aggressively if he decides to enter the IPL auction next month. “Yeah potentially (Green will enter his name in the IPL auction). We’ll wait and see, I think the auction is a little while away,” Cummins told SEN Radio.

“Selfishly as a captain, I’d love for him to save all of his energy for Australia.

“But how can you tell someone to say no to that kind of opportunity?” Cummins added.

Cummins, who leads the Australian Test and ODI side, himself has opted to skip the lucrative league due to a packed international calendar.

Australia’s busy 2023 Test cricket schedule involves a Border-Gavaskar Trophy in India (February-March) and Ashes in England from June 16 to July 31 while the 50-over World Cup will be held in India in October-November next year.

The IPL auction is set to take place in Kochi on December 23.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...-green-says-wont-stop-him-to-play-ipl-1053262

"Big Call": David Warner Warns Cameron Green Of IPL Workload
Australian opener David Warner feels Cameron Green will face a "big call" regarding his participation in the IPL, warning the all-rounder about possible burnout ahead of a gruelling schedule.

"Big Call": David Warner Warns Cameron Green Of IPL WorkloadAustralian opener David Warner feels Cameron Green will face a "big call" regarding his participation in the IPL, warning the all-rounder about possible burnout ahead of a gruelling schedule.Press Trust of IndiaUpdated: November 28, 2022 02:52 PM ISTRead Time:2 min
"Big Call": David Warner Warns Cameron Green Of IPL Workload
File photo of Cameron Green© AFP
Australian opener David Warner feels Cameron Green will face a "big call" regarding his participation in the IPL, warning the all-rounder about possible burnout ahead of a gruelling schedule. Green, who has already registered for the IPL auctions, is likely to spend almost half of the season in India for the T20 league besides four Tests and two ODIs series. He also has tours of England and South Africa lined up before next year's ODI World Cup in India.

"Nineteen weeks straight in India, being your first trip there as well, can be quite challenging - from the heat perspective, the playing, the recovery," Warner said on Monday ahead of Australia's Test series against the West Indies.

"I've been through it, I've done the Test series and the IPL. It is tough. Then on the back of that you've got five Test matches in England. Then I think you've got 20 days off before you go to South Africa and then go to a World Cup.

"Glenn Maxwell did it a couple of years ago, played the whole year and then was cooked come the (Australian) season.

"From a youngster's point of view it's totally up to him, it's his decision to make. For the longevity of him and his career, it's a big call for him as a youngster. Whatever decision he goes with we'll respect it as players. But ultimately, it's down to him and CA."

Green said he is aware that it is going to be tough but believes he has the right support system to sustain the rigours of the hectic schedule.

"It's going to be a really tough year. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. But it's a really good opportunity, I think. If you're playing all three formats and IPL you're going to be learning a lot about your cricket.

"You might get pushed a little bit with your body. I back that in that I have good resources and around me to get through that. And doing everything you can to look after your body and have rests within that. It will be a tough year."

NDTV

Well, Green is on the cusp of millions of $$$ of IPL riches. Teams will be bidding high. Will be very tough to say no to this. Tough call the young guy.

Back