Paul Gascoigne on trial for an "unpleasant" sex assault on train in August 2018 [Post #15]

KingKhanWC

Test Captain
Runs
Former footballer Paul Gascoigne has been given a suspended prison sentence after he admitted drinking and driving.

The 43-year-old Tyneside-born former England midfielder was stopped by police in Newcastle on 8 October.

The city's magistrates' court was told that Gascoigne was more than four times the legal alcohol limit.

He was handed an eight-week sentence, suspended for a year, and banned from driving for three years. He was also given an alcohol treatment order.

The court was told Gascoigne was five weeks into a 12-week anti-drink programme in Dorset.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11954284

This isn't a very good example to set. Gazza was a brilliant footballer once but at this time of year many people are killed due to drink driving.

IMO he should have been locked up considering how much over the limit he was.

Joke of a sentence really

With regards to Gazza, he is heading the way of George Best - I just hope if any of his body parts die to his alcohol abuse he doesnt get to use a donated one like Best was

Football legend Paul Gascoigne has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman on a train from York to Durham.

The former England midfielder was arrested at Durham station on 20 August.

British Transport Police said the 51-year-old has now been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching and will appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates' Court on 11 December.

Mr Gascoigne shot to international fame during the 1990 World Cup.

After leaving his hometown club Newcastle United in 1988, he enjoyed success at Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Rangers.

He has had a well-documented struggle with alcoholism in the past.

A spokeswoman for British Transport Police said Mr Gascoigne, of Leicester, was "charged via postal requisition with one count of sexual assault by touching, contrary to Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003".

"The charge relates to an incident on board a train on 20 August this year," she added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-46261574

Great footballer but what an awful human being - wife beater, alcoholic, drug user, repeated drink driver, convicted racist and now a sex pest.

Sure he has an addiction problem but he’s been to some of the finest addiction clinics in the world and time after time he goes back to his old ways.

Last edited:
Great footballer but what an awful human being - wife beater, alcoholic, drug user, repeated drink driver, convicted racist and now a sex pest.

Sure he has an addiction problem but he’s been to some of the finest addiction clinics in the world and time after time he goes back to his old ways.

I know people should pay for the crimes and he should but Gazza isn't a bad person. When you are a serious alcoholic your behaviour can become very wild.

He is a mostly vile person to be honest, if it wasn’t for him crying after getting a yellow card in the World Cup and then scoring a decent goal against Scotland 6 years later he would not be held in anywhere near the (undeservedly high) levels of esteem, affection and reverence that he is.

He is a mostly vile person to be honest, if it wasn’t for him crying after getting a yellow card in the World Cup and then scoring a decent goal against Scotland 6 years later he would not be held in anywhere near the (undeservedly high) levels of esteem, affection and reverence that he is.

A bit unfair imo. I cant think of a more exceptional talent than Gazza playing in the England shirt. It was his efforts in 1990 and then in the 96 Euros which gave him England some good success. Nobody can deny his footballing ability, as for him as a person we dont know him but his crimes are not good at all.

Slippery slope to oblivion - what a shame as he was a great footballer.

A friend of mine saw him in a nightclub many years ago and he couldn't stand up he was that drunk, but the hangers on werestill trying to make him drink more.

paulgascoigne1911a.jpg

This is what alcohol does.

If you look at Gazza’s teammates from the “Class of Italia 90” they have generally gone on to have good and varied careers - for example Waddle, Butcher, Platt, Pearce, Shilton, and particularly Lineker who at 57 seems to be in the prime of his life.

Gazza meanwhile is one of the younger members at 51 years old, and honestly he is already drunkenly doddering about looking like a bloke in his 70s. He is going the same way as George Best, albeit without the glamour.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy looks terrible.

His future sadly looks very bleak.

Ex-footballer Paul Gascoigne, who is accused of sexually assaulting a woman on a train, told a court he has "done nothing wrong".

The former England midfielder, 51, is accused of kissing the woman without her consent on board the service from York to Durham.

During a 10-minute hearing at Teesside Crown Court, he elected to be tried by a jury and will stand trial in October.

He repeated his not guilty plea to a charge of sexual assault by touching.

During the hearing he was warned by the judge to be quiet, after calling out: "Sir, Your Honour", when told his trial would take place from 14 October.

ADVERTISEMENT

He then said he was "worried to bits", and "scared".

When asked for his nationality in court, Mr Gascoigne replied: "England, Protestant."

Recorder of Middlesbrough Simon Bourne-Arton granted him unconditional bail and warned him he must turn up for the trial.

He said: "I will do, your lord. I cannot wait.

"I have done nothing wrong."

Mr Gascoigne was arrested at Durham station in August and later charged with the offence.

The former footballer, who shot to international fame during the 1990 World Cup, and played for Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough, Lazio and Rangers, has had a well-documented struggle with alcohol in the past.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-46792838

Paul Gascoigne says he is 'scared' as he pleads not guilty to sexual assault

Gascoigne kissed one of his security guards after the hearing
Image:
Gascoigne kissed a member of his security team after the hearing

Paul Gascoigne has pleaded not guilty to a charge of sexual assault on a train as he told a judge he is "worried to bits" and "scared".

The former England footballer, 51, was arrested while travelling on a CrossCountry service from York to Newcastle on 20 August.

He was accused of kissing a woman without her consent and was later charged with sexual assault by touching.

The workout routine used by CEOs and Millionaires every morning
Asana Rebel
The alleged incident is said to have happened at Darlington and involved a woman over 16.

Gascoigne, known affectionately as "Gazza", later said on Twitter he was trying to comfort the woman after someone called her a "fat cow".

He has denied the sexual assault charge by saying he has a propensity to kiss people "in a non-sexual manner", Teesside Crown Court heard on Monday.

The former Premier League footballer, wearing a blue suit and an open neck shirt, appeared upset when he sat in the dock.

Gascoigne has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault

Gascoigne has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault
He stated his full name and date of birth, and when asked his nationality he replied: "English, Protestant."

Gascoigne had to be asked to be quiet by Judge Simon Bourne-Arton during the hearing.

After being told his trial could not be accommodated before 14 October, Gascoigne called out: "Sir, Your Honour."

The judge replied: "Be quiet."

Gascoigne said: "I'm worried to bits. I'm scared."

He then apologised to the judge.

His solicitor, who was in court while his barrister was appearing via a videolink, then went to speak to Gascoigne in the dock.

The judge said: "You have a solicitor and you have a QC, they will look after your interests."

Mr Bourne-Arton then told him to be quiet again, to which the former player said: "I'm tired."

Gascoigne could he heard telling his solicitor that the police officer who arrested him talked about football, and asked for an autograph and selfies.

The judge said: "Everyone can hear what you are saying.

"It is in your interest to speak quietly."

Gascoigne has said he was defending a woman who had been called a fat cow

Mr Bourne-Arton also warned him that he must turn up for his trial.

Gascoigne replied: "I will do, your lord.

"I cannot wait.

"I have done nothing wrong."

Gascoigne thanked Mr Bourne-Arton as he walked out of the courtroom, kissed his fingers and gestured towards the robed judge in an apparent mark of respect.

He will apply for legal aid to be represented by a QC, as the case is being prosecuted by a barrister of the same seniority.

Gascoigne's barrister Michelle Heeley QC told the court that a number of character witnesses will give evidence "about his propensity to kiss people in a non-sexual manner".

The retired footballer appeared at Peterlee Magistrates' Court in December and elected to be tried by a jury.

Gascoigne played for Newcastle United, Spurs, Lazio, Rangers, Middlesbrough and Everton, among other clubs.

He was regarded as one of the most talented English footballers of his generation, winning 57 caps.

The Gateshead-born midfielder was a key player for England at both the 1990 World Cup and the 1996 European Championship.

The team reached the semi-finals of both tournaments.

https://news.sky.com/story/paul-gas...xually-assaulting-a-woman-on-a-train-11601783

Last edited:
Poor Gazza is dealing with mental illness and alcholism. He proably was trying to be nice and went too far due to his health.

Hope he doesn't get any time in jail for this.

Former footballer Paul Gascoigne "forcefully and sloppily" kissed a woman on the lips while drunk on a train, a court has heard.

The 52-year-old is accused of an "unpleasant" sex assault on the service from York to Newcastle in August 2018.

The ex-England star, who denies sexual assault by touching, told police he had "kissed a fat lass" to give her a "confidence boost", jurors were told.

The complainant was left "shocked and upset", Teesside Crown Court heard.

Opening the case for the prosecution, William Mousley QC said: "This case concerns a brief but unpleasant assault with sexual overtones on a train."

The jury heard that after his arrest, Mr Gascoigne, who now lives in Leicester, told police it was "a peck on the lips" and indicated he did not consider it a serious matter.

Confronted by passengers
Mr Mousley said the woman, who had been travelling home, noticed a "shouty and sweary" passenger behind her.

The prosecutor said that after drawing attention to himself, the man, whom the woman later learned was Mr Gascoigne, had tried to sit on her.

After the woman tried to move away from the former footballer, he put his hands on her cheeks and kissed her, the court heard.

When confronted by other passengers, the former Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Rangers, Middlesbrough and Everton midfielder told them he had tried to give her a "confidence boost", the court heard.

Mr Mousley added that, when questioned by police, the accused had tried to defend himself by saying other passengers had been teasing her about her build and that he had given her a "peck on the lips to reassure her".

Describing the alleged offence as a "blatant act", the prosecutor added that it was "humiliating" for the woman involved, adding: "Perhaps it was him showing off."

He added: "The prosecution case is this was a sexual assault and we will seek to prove it by making you sure that it was nothing else."

The complainant, giving evidence from behind a screen, told the jury the kiss was "forceful" and "not like a peck on the cheek".

She said she noticed Mr Gascoigne being "very noisy" on the train, adding: "There were lots of cans on the floor."

'I just froze'
She told the jury she had put on her headphones and tried to ignore the noise coming from Mr Gascoigne behind her.

"He kept saying sorry," she told the jury. "I said 'It's fine'. I was just looking out of the window.

"He said sorry a second time, and then tapped my arm.

"I turned around to face him and he grabbed my face and kissed me full on the lips, and I was taken aback because it was just completely out of the blue. I just completely froze."

Mr Gascoigne's barrister, Michelle Heeley QC, asked the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, whether a fellow passenger had said, following the kiss: "You've got a responsibility to other women on this train to do something [about the incident]."

The woman said: "I had already made up my mind to report it to the travel police, because it was unwanted behaviour, there was no instigation on my part of wanting any attention from him."

Concluding her evidence, she added any attempt by Mr Gascoigne to apologise was for only appearance, telling the court: "He was just saying sorry for the sake of it, not because it was actually meant."

A female passenger who was on the train told the jury that she saw Mr Gascoigne kiss the woman, saying that the alleged victim was "very shaken".

She told Teesside Crown Court that, moments after the incident, she had heard the former footballer say: "I was just trying to give her some confidence."

The witness said that earlier on in the journey she had seen Mr Gascoigne drinking something from a milk carton, saying: "It was not the colour of milk."

The trial, which is due to last five days, continues.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50041711

Its difficult to feel sorry for him for sexual abuse. Im not sure why this has gone to trial. He should have pleaded guilty.

I feel sorry for the woman.

George Best was dead before he turned 60 - Gazza is going the same way. A pretty sad and miserable tale.

I feel sorry for the woman.

George Best was dead before he turned 60 - Gazza is going the same way. A pretty sad and miserable tale.

Gazza needs to stay in rehab. The FA need to start helping football stars with such problems. A flawed genius just like Best but I fear the same as you, his life is in danger.

I don't know the merits of the case but as a footballer he is one of the few World class players produced by England. The others being Ashley Cole and the criminally underrated Glen Hoddle. Few others were good such as Shearer, Beckham, Owen( for a while), Lineker, Walker and Butcher.

His excuse for this sexual assault is quite something - he wanted to boost the confidence of a 'fat lass'so he kissed her to do her a favour. What a lunatic. He doesn't even have the guts to plead guilty to the crime in question hence he's making life even more unpleasant for his victim.

I don't know the merits of the case but as a footballer he is one of the few World class players produced by England. The others being Ashley Cole and the criminally underrated Glen Hoddle. Few others were good such as Shearer, Beckham, Owen( for a while), Lineker, Walker and Butcher.

Hope you mean Des Walker not Kyle!

In terms or sheer skill on the ball, imo no other English player comes close. Gazza at his best would fit right into one of the great Brazlian teams, he played just like them.

So desperate was I to see Gazza, I went to Villa Park to see him play in 1991 but he was injured. I think Platt scored a hatrick and Vinny Samways scored a brace.

Paul Gascoigne trial: Ex-footballer kissed woman on lips 'to protect her'

The former footballer is accused of sexual assault over a claim he planted a sloppy, drunken kiss on a fellow train passenger

Paul Gascoigne has said he kissed his alleged sexual assault victim on the lips because he wanted to "protect" her after hearing a fellow train passenger make fun of her weight.

The 52-year-old is accused of sexual assault over an incident on a CrossCountry train from York to Newcastle last year, when he is said to have planted a sloppy, drunken kiss on a woman in his carriage.

Giving evidence on day two of the trial at Teesside Crown Court, the former footballer told the jury someone on the train had called the woman "fat and ugly" and that he wanted to comfort her

Gascoigne said his instinct was to "automatically protect" anyone who is teased about their weight, telling the court how he was called a "fat b******" when he was a player and that his children and nephews have also been called fat.

He said the insult towards the woman came after someone suggested she have "a selfie with Gazza", at which point he overheard someone say: "You don't want a photo with her, she's fat and ugly."

Gascoigne, who told the court he did not have his false teeth in at the time of the incident, added: "Automatically I went and sat next to her and said, 'look, you're not fat and ugly, you're beautiful inside'."

His voice broke as he described the "peck on the lips" to jurors.

Gascoigne, who denies a charge of sexual assault by touching, said he did not regard the kiss as sexual harassment.

In his police interview after his arrest, which was played in court, he told officers: "I get kissed all the time, so if that's the case I have been sexually harassed for 20 years."

When asked by the prosecution why he did not apologise to the woman in his police interview, the ex-Tottenham midfielder said she "didn't seem that bothered" and had told another passenger "she was fine".

The police interview came after he was arrested at the Jesmond Dene Hotel in Newcastle some hours after the incident on 20 August 2018.

British Transport Police officer Robert Moody told the court that Gascoigne was sat in the foyer in an "intoxicated, drunken state" and had a glass of beer in his hand.

Gascoigne said to officers he had only had "three or four cans" prior to the incident because spirits made him "spew up" following a recent operation.

He said in his interview "before the operation I could drink gin no problem", and told a custody sergeant: "All I was doing was trying to help a fat lass."

When asked by the prosecution why he had not challenged the person who supposedly insulted his alleged victim, the former Newcastle and Middlesbrough star said: "I do not think it was for me to challenge anybody.

"I'm not that way inclined."

Gascoigne agreed he was not "so drunk he didn't know what he was doing" at the time, and said any impression he was slurring his words was because he did not have his false teeth in.

He took the teeth out during his evidence and demonstrated how different his voice sounded without them in.

The jury was also given a series of photos described as showing Gascoigne kissing or being kissed by celebrities including the likes of Wayne Rooney, Russell Brand and Princess Diana.

The prosecution said none of the supplied images showed him kissing women in the way he kissed the complainant, to which Gascoigne interjected : "Not in these ones, no."

When told he had kissed the woman, who cannot be identified, "in circumstances that any reasonable person would describe as sexual", Gascoigne said: "There was no sexual intent."

After giving evidence, which took just under an hour, Gascoigne listened to a character reference provided by friend and former boxer Ricky Hatton.

The statement, read out by lawyer Michelle Heeley QC, described the "warm relationship" the two men shared after meeting at a charity event.

Hatton said Gascoigne was "larger than life" and a "lively, bubbly person" who would would often greet him with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

He added: "That's the way it's always been. I have seen him approach other people, both male and female, in the way that he approaches me."

The trial continues.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ootballer-kissed-woman-on-lips-to-protect-her

Gazza is only digging a hole. No jury will accept he has no idea kissing a woman without her permission is not sexual assualt.

Maybe a few months inside will do him good.

The good times seem a lifetime away for Gazza.

It's all been downhill once his football career ended.

Gazza didn't know what to do after his career as a Footballer was over. Not the most sensible man in the world he was incapable of starting a business or something like a Beckham did. It didn't help having friends like Jimmy Gardner being his minder whatever that was supposed to mean. His wife leaves him as well so he ends up in another hole only this time there is no Football to save him. Seems he's gonna go the George Best way I am afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been found not guilty of sexually assaulting a woman on a train.

The 52-year-old had been accused of "forcefully and sloppily" kissing the fellow passenger on a service from York to Newcastle in August 2018.

The jury is still considering a lesser charge of assault by beating.

Mr Gascoigne wept in the dock and there were cheers of "yes" from the public gallery as the jury delivered its verdict.

More on this story

He had told Teesside Crown Court he gave the woman a "peck on the lips" to "boost her confidence" after he heard a male passenger call her overweight.

The court heard Mr Gascoigne had been "naive" in kissing the woman, but that it had not been a sexual act.

Judge Peter Armstrong told the jury he was willing to accept a majority verdict on the charge of assault by beating.

He said that "assault by beating" is committed if the defendant "intentionally applies unlawful force to another who does not consent to it"

'Lied and lied and lied'
As he left court, the former Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Rangers, Middlesbrough and Everton midfielder wiped his eye with a tissue and hugged his agent.

Prosecutor William Mousley had told the court that Mr Gascoigne had "lied, and lied, and lied" during the trial, which heard he had been drunk on board the train.

But Michelle Heeley QC, defending, said the former player had no sexual intention.

Image caption
Mr Gascoigne has spoken to onlookers outside the court
She said "In his own naive way, he thought he was making a larger woman have more body confidence.

"It's a clumsy way to go about building someone's confidence, but it was not sexual."

Mr Gascoigne broke down as he told the court about what happened on the journey from Birmingham to Newcastle, on 20 August last year.

The former footballer, who had been travelling with his nephews, said while passengers were asking for selfies and autographs he heard a man say about a passenger: "What do you want a photo of her for? She's fat and ugly."

Mr Gascoigne told the jury he had previously had trouble with his weight and "automatically" went to sit next to the woman to reassure her.

He said he told her: "You're not fat and ugly, you're beautiful."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-50068077

Anyone watched the documentary on BBC I player called Gazza?

Really interesting viewing which documents the rise and fall of Gazza, how he went from such a humble background to being one of the best players in the world.

Anyone watched the documentary on BBC I player called Gazza?

Really interesting viewing which documents the rise and fall of Gazza, how he went from such a humble background to being one of the best players in the world.

It’s on my planner ready to watch. Need to be in the right mood for it. I am concerned that some of the sadder elements to Gazza’s story will be difficult to watch. Brilliant footballer.

It’s on my planner ready to watch. Need to be in the right mood for it. I am concerned that some of the sadder elements to Gazza’s story will be difficult to watch. Brilliant footballer.

Well it doesn't show the recent stuff which would have been interesting.

It only goes up to near the end of his playing career.

Another episode would have been good.

He was a very, very, very unintelligent Geordie that was a top footballer.

I don't think mentally he grew up beyond the age of 12. He got away with his brash behaviour and called "a lad" as his football skills masked his shortcomings.

Beyond football, we saw he had zero ability to cope in the real world whilst Alcohol destroyed him. If there ever was an advert to ban alcohol, it's Gazza.

Well it doesn't show the recent stuff which would have been interesting.

It only goes up to near the end of his playing career.

Another episode would have been good.

Ah ok.

Yes we might need an “aftermath” episode…

He was a very, very, very unintelligent Geordie that was a top footballer.

I don't think mentally he grew up beyond the age of 12. He got away with his brash behaviour and called "a lad" as his football skills masked his shortcomings.

Beyond football, we saw he had zero ability to cope in the real world whilst Alcohol destroyed him. If there ever was an advert to ban alcohol, it's Gazza.

There is an anecdote from Paul’s playing days at Tottenham wherein he was spotted chugging a bottle of “water” in between training drills which one of the coaches later discovered was neat vodka.

In other words, Paul’s alcoholism was already so bad in the early 90s that unmixed vodka was his way of staying level-headed and hydrated during physical activity.

Like you say, Gaza is/was a great footballer and a flawed man who has unfortunately been destroyed by alcohol. Same as George Best.

I think that 'lad' culture was engrained in football in those days more so than it is now. I remember when Gazza played for Rangers the fans loved his stories with Jimmy 5 Bellies and his crazy antics like urinating in public in resteraunts. The media gave him a lot of positive coverage despite the fact that he was a barely functioning alcoholic.

Modern managers would have kept him on a much tigher leash and in the age of social media modern fans would not be as tolerant of a player not giving 100% to the club.

What would this have meant for Gazza?

Well he could have potentially knuckled down and maximised his talents to become a true great.

However, sadly what I think would have happened is that he would be one of those players that runs rings around you in 5s or sunday league games and he would have not been able to last in pro football.

Sadly some people seem hard wired to ruin their own lives.

Ah ok.

Yes we might need an “aftermath” episode…

They show him at the very end and he looked terrible.

I could barely recognise the guy.

Terribly sad to see.

Paul Gascoigne banned from Newcastle chemists after using Calpol to fuel addictions

Paul Gascoigne has told how he used Calpol to fuel his addiction and was banned from every chemist in Newcastle.

The former England footballer, 55, opens up about his addictive personality in tonight's finale of Scared of the Dark, which has seen celebs such as Gazza, Scarlett Moffatt and Chloe Burrows live in the pitch black together.

The dad-of-three has publicly battled alcohol addiction and mental health problems, and he revealed how he lied about having nine children in a bit to get Calpol.

He told the Scared of the Dark cameras: “Unfortunately, I’ve got this addiction personality. I stopped going to rehab for stupid reasons you know. I was like, that’s the addict side of us so I went for Calpol.

"Calpol has 0.00 and it’s 1% of alcohol. And I thought well if I buy ten bottles, that’s like having nearly a pint. I was going around chemists and saying listen, I didn’t wanna tell anyone but I’ve got nine kids, I need Calpol.

"They were saying nine kids, what are you doing with nine kids? I went yeah but don’t tell my family. It costs us a lot of money in maintenance. And eventually, I was barred from all the chemists I think in Newcastle!”

Paul has been in rehab a number of times and was sectioned under the Mental Health Act in 2008 and 2014.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fi...p&cvid=98ea0a3f95064aa593238728d69df8bc&ei=10

Back