Pentangular ODI Cup final 2008-09: Punjab Stallions v Federal Areas Panthers

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Pentangular ODI Cup final 2008-09: Punjab Stallions v Federal Areas Leopards

Assalamu Aleikum brothers

So which team will win this final? Punjab must be the favourites but it can be very exiting if FA bowls first.

Last edited:
Punjab's batting and bowling has been strong.
FA has a really strong bowling lineup that could devastate any domestic batting lineup on a given day.

Should be interesting :) After the exclusion of Sindh, this is the best team that could make the finals for an interest competition with Punjab.

lol now I know how to get wickets on this forum hehe:) I need to explore more on this site.

will try to cover the game tomorrow. But I have to pick up my brother from the airport in the middle of the night (5am) which means I might be sleeping when the game starts.

Duel between captains to make for thrilling finale
http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/384056.html

The most eagerly-contested domestic tournament in recent memory will hope for a fitting finale as the Punjab Stallions take on the Federal Areas Leopards at the National Stadium in Karachi on Wednesday.

The first-ever Pentangular ODI Cup has been a rousing one, and some basic ingredients have come in handy in providing a much-needed boost to domestic cricket in Pakistan.

The lack of international action has meant that all the big names have not only taken part, but have performed with considerable gusto. Shoaib Malik may not have convinced all with his Pakistan captaincy, but as leader of the undefeated Punjab Stallions, he has been immense: he is both the tournament's leading scorer and wicket-taker.

Enthusiastic televison coverage has also helped, and even though the audience at the venues have been small, TV has has considerably upped the interest around the country. The accompanying marketing campaign has been a triumph of persistence over creativity, but a triumph nonetheless.

Above all, the tournament has come at a time of isolation, of introspection; domestic cricket has been given the attention because there is no other cricket and it has been found to be not that bad and often pretty exciting.

There have been thrilling, closely-fought matches among the five well-matched teams. Even though the Baluchistan Bears and Federal Areas Leopards have had to draft in guest players, there have been thrilling encounters like the Federal Areas virtual semi-final clash against NWFP, and the Sind-Baluchistan match.

One of the few one-sided matches was the tournament opener between the two finalists, when Punjab prevailed by 98 runs and many will hope that a repeat is not on the cards. The portents however are promising in what should be a delicious match-up.

Punjab's batsmen, led by Malik, have been the galacticos of the tournament. Salman Butt's elegance has come through often enough, Azhar Ali has provided handy support and Kamran Akmal has chipped in with the odd cameo. Nasir Jamshed, in fact, has been the only real blip.

They come up against the tournament's most incisive bowling attack. Federal Areas captain Shoaib Akhtar has gone for runs but the nous, pace and above all, fitness, has been there. He has been supported well by Sohail Tanvir and Rao Iftikhar Anjum and in the unlikely event they all fail, Yasir Arafat and Saeed Ajmal are around to stabilise matters.

But the most intriguing battles, as ever in cricket, will be the specific ones. Punjab's Mohammad Talha has been the tournament's most exciting pace bowler. A skinny, young tearaway bowler with a bounding, energetic run-up, his performances have drawn the attention of selectors.

He will be up against the upright, compact and equally young figure of Umar Amin, the left-handed opener who has batted mostly at number four for Federal Areas. Amin's hundred against Baluchistan remains the innings of the tournament and as with Talha, his potential has not gone unnoticed by the selectors.

The spiciest battle is that between the captains. The friction between Malik and Shoaib is Pakistan's worst-kept secret. Part of the reason both captains have been so committed to this tournament, goes the cynics' tale, is that they have wanted to score points over each other.

In fact, Pakistan's captaincy never lies easy on any head and the battle between at least four captains or potential national captains - Misbah-ul-Haq, Shahid Afridi, Malik and Shoaib (Umar Gul was the fifth) - has been a tasty subplot all along.

Ultimately, though, the only thing Pakistanis will hope for from the final, after a year of total darkness, is some light from that most unexpected source - domestic cricket.

Team news

Punjab Stallions: (probable) 1 Shoaib Malik (capt) 2 Nasir Jamshed 3 Azhar Ali 4 Salman Butt 5 Adnan Raza 6 Sarfraz Ahmed 7 Mohammad Talha 8 Junaid Zia 9 Mansoor Amjad 10 Abdur Rehman 11 Umar Akmal (wk)

Federal Areas Leopards: (probable) 1 Shoaib Akhtar (capt) 2 Raheel Majeed 3 Babar Naeem 4 Umar Amin 5 Afaq Raheem 6 Usman Saeed 7 Mohammad Salman (wk) 8 Sohail Tanvir 9 Yasir Arafat 10 Iftikhar Anjum 11 Saeed Ajmal

© Cricinfo

well my friend just called he wants to go to the ground tomorrow.

hmmm...let see

What happend to Kamran Akmal (just looking at the probables)?
And is Umar Akmal wicket keeper as well?

Last edited:
On paper Punjab looks stronger but i expect Akhtar, rao and Tanvir to pwn Punjab.

What time will it start GMT?!!

Looking forward to it!!

Is there a link where I can catch up with the tournament thus far?

:romeo should watch out for :sohail... <-- He didn't do well in the previous match, he's bound to make a strong return..

PUNJAB will bag this one Inshallah! :D

InshAllah Federal will win. InshAllah Akthar will be bowling his heart out and inspire his unexperienced payers to a victory InshAllah

I don't mind who wins.

Malik has already beaten Afridi and that was the main thing for me in this tournament. I just hope for a good game.

I really wish this match was on tv here in the US. Such great young talent will be on display.

teams look pretty even. Punjab has a more experienced batting lineup but Federal Areas have a bowling lineup which can be Pakistan's ODI lineup. Should be a good match.

This tournament has been good but too short just like the T20 where you only play one match. This is not a good way to promote domestic tournaments. Should have been a match home and away or to save money two matches in same city

12thMan said:
teams look pretty even. Punjab has a more experienced batting lineup but Federal Areas have a bowling lineup which can be Pakistan's ODI lineup. Should be a good match.

This tournament has been good but too short just like the T20 where you only play one match. This is not a good way to promote domestic tournaments. Should have been a match home and away or to save money two matches in same city
Real thing is the Quaid-e-Azam trophy(23 teams) which hasn't even started yet

PlanetPakistan said:
Real thing is the Quaid-e-Azam trophy(23 teams) which hasn't even started yet
Seriously that tournament could have been going on now and no one will care. There might be some attention if there is a semifinal or final. Ofcouse there might be a report that some bowler took 7 wickets and questions will be is he 9oK bowler?

12thMan said:

I think this is what was needed, quality cricket between quite evenly matched sides.

Any drawn out process would have not allowed this until the latter stages of the tournament.

Punjab won the first round. This one no one can tell. Hopefully it goes to last 2 overs with only 2 wickets remaining to get 10 runs

I read the FedA and NWFP thread today and that went to last over with 2 wickets left and 3-5 runs to get and NWFP couldn't get the runs

OK guys I just got home. Am very very sleepy (on 3 hours of sleep)

Turned on GEO Sports and they have been showing non stop ads for the last 3-4 mins

I think cricinfo might have updates because it is in their live scoe box at right side. Where other matches wee not displayed

ok Shoaib Malik's luck continues, he wins the toss and elects to bowl.

Match starting at 9:30

Some tell me why Mohammed Talha is listed on Cricindia as "medium-fast"

So the fastest bowler in Pak domestic is "medium-fast"?

And Zaheer Khan is "fast medium" and MJ is "fast medium"? :)))

And Ishant is "fast" and Shaun Tait is "fast"? :)))

asifp said:
if they are I am off to bed!

asif, your commentary have been best so far. We would appreciate if you can cover it up atleast first couple of hours.

Random Aussie said:
Some tell me why Mohammed Talha is listed on Cricindia as "medium-fast"

So the fastest bowler in Pak domestic is "medium-fast"?

And Zaheer Khan is "fast medium" and MJ is "fast medium"? :)))

And Ishant is "fast" and Shaun Tait is "fast"? :)))
i was just watching a few news clips and it seems that his run up is all messed up so i can't imagine him being express....

still managed knock the stump a good 8 feet back

sehsan said:
asif, your commentary have been best so far. We would appreciate if you can cover it up atleast first couple of hours.
give the poor guy a break

PlanetPakistan said:
i was just watching a few news clips and it seems that his run up is all messed up so i can't imagine him being express....

still managed knock the stump a good 8 feet back

new clips? where yarr?

sehsan said:
new clips? where yarr?
they just showed 5 or 6 balls on Yahya Hussani's show.

Sarfraz Ahmed is the dark horse for this match, more than a useful fast bowler who is extremely unlucky to NOT have played at the highest level yet.

asifp said:
they just showed all his wickets again on GEO.

He looks around 140 at most I say.

Young thin kid now, wait till he puts on 10 odd kgs.
asifp, please commentate, i think cricinfo will cover it poorly like usual.

asifp said:
they just showed all his wickets again on GEO.

He looks around 140 at most I say.
yeah about 140-142...

He can easily get it up to 148-150 if he fixes his run up.

PlanetPakistan said:
they just showed 5 or 6 balls on Yahya Hussani's show.

Sarfraz Ahmed is the dark horse for this match, more than a useful fast bowler who is extremely unlucky to NOT have played at the highest level yet.

ya i saw that as well.

Yes sarfarz seems to be quiet a good bowler. I wounder how good he was in his early days.

Jamal said:
Young thin kid now, wait till he puts on 10 odd kgs.
asifp, please commentate, i think cricinfo will cover it poorly like usual.

will try my best. But will prolly need a sleep break at some point.

sehsan said:
ya i saw that as well.

Yes sarfarz seems to be quiet a good bowler. I wounder how good he was in his early days.

I am seeing him for the first time myself, looks a little lite Sohail Tanveer but does not bowl of the wrong foot.

sehsan said:
ya i saw that as well.

I am sure A Qadir will give him a chance in at least the "B" team....

Guy is too good to be totally ignored.

PlanetPakistan said:
just sleep for 40 mins during lunch

hahah, yaar vacation part I am used to be sleeping 10-12 hours.

but inshallah the final will pump me enough to stay awake

Mohd Talha into bowl

Talha's first ball swings quite a bit in the air and then slightly off the seam.

Wide

asifp said:
hahah, yaar vacation part I am used to be sleeping 10-12 hours.

but inshallah the final will pump me enough to stay awake

Mohd Talha into bowl

:asif

asifp said:
Talha's first ball swings quite a bit in the air and then slightly off the seam.

Wide

oh i thought it was an Asif like magic ball....but then you finished off by saying "wide" :asif

PlanetPakistan said:
oh i thought it was an Asif like magic ball....but then you finished off by saying "wide" :asif

I really miss Asif :(

Swing and miss, outside off stump. Given a wide...I think that was quite harsh

Ok guys I hate the no speed guns.....

but I cant seem him being faster than Ishant Sharma righ now.

Also agreed with someone else Ishant runup is much more smooth.

On the other hand I hope someone does not screw up his runup like they did with Anwar Ali

MT said that he loses his line at time....

but i don't care if MT is offline as long as Asifp isn't offline.

Babar Naeem plays a drive, hits it hard thru the point region for four

Cricinfo guys are a little drunk now I think, they have Abdul Rehman opening the bowling attakf

and the score is 13 not 10 at the end of the second over

asifp said:
Cricinfo guys are a little drunk now I think, they have Abdul Rehman opening the bowling attakf

Christmas spirit. :romeo

Nut none of the bowlers ever look like they are about to take a wicket on this pitch.

Dont know if its the pitch or the bowlers.

asifp said:

Euither drunk or m. Asif ka hakeem ki duiee

Mohammad Talha to Babar Naeem, 2 runs, naeem drives through midwicket for a couple - a bit agricultural

? Agricultural?
:akhtar

the batsman looking ti hit out but not getting a big shot right now.

Only one mishit for two

Mohammad Talha to Babar Naeem, no run, ball hurries into naeem's midriff who just keeps it out. Quick skiddy pace from Talha here

was it really quick?

Back