[PICTURE] Why were there some empty seats at Gaddafi Stadium for the first T20I against World XI?

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
DJikVX9XoAAe4bc.jpg

I find this puzzling because the media have been repeatedly covering the tickets sale in the past few days and it was constantly said during TV reports that tickets have been sold out and people are unable to obtain tickets for the games.

In the post-match presentation, Faf alluded to this, saying that he hopes that there will be a full house for the next two games so that it's 'nice and loud'.

I noticed alot of people standing by the grills in front which was probably because of these people leaving the seats and standing there. It's a shame that they were not able to fill up the stadium to max. They should now make the tickets cheaper to fill up the stadiums

I thought it was full in the begining but later people started leaving. I think the reason it was not full house or ppl left early is because the matches are played on working days , on holiday it would be packed

I was there guys, the atmosphere was pretty good.

Stadium was sell out and full by the 4th 5th over into the match except one stand which might not have been full however it must be due to some work being done there or something like that.

Anyways on a working day at 7:00 PM even if it was at 97, 98% capacity its pretty amazing.

Things are worse for the people there than they used to be. But yea it's unwise from the PCB as well to plan these games on work days.

Also whose bright idea was it to have the match on a Tuesday night?

DJikVX9XoAAe4bc.jpg

I find this puzzling because the media have been repeatedly covering the tickets sale in the past few days and it was constantly said during TV reports that tickets have been sold out and people are unable to obtain tickets for the games.

In the post-match presentation, Faf alluded to this, saying that he hopes that there will be a full house for the next two games so that it's 'nice and loud'.

While i have to say the croud was pretty loud but unfortunately not for the Faf's team. 😜

I guess it was due to scheduling of the Srilankan series.

I am sure that the Friday evening match will be at 100% utilization instead of 97, 98 which isnt too bad on a working day.

I was there guys, the atmosphere was pretty good.

Stadium was sell out and full by the 4th 5th over into the match except one stand which might not have been full however it must be due to some work being done there or something like that.

Anyways on a working day at 7:00 PM even if it was at 97, 98% capacity its pretty amazing.

OK so it was just one stand mainly that had empty seats? Makes sense.

I can't imagine that any tickets would be unsold. There was definitely no lack of interest in the match, TV reports in recent days have shown just how many people are desperate to obtain tickets.

Something is not right.... I really have doubt on how the tickets sales been handled.. lots of famous players visiting and empty seats? :najam:najam

Najam Sethi did tweet today that tickets were still available for all three matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there was some mismanagement in the ticket sales. I hope that was the case becuase It would be embarrassing that we can't fill up stadium after such little cricket is played.

OK so it was just one stand mainly that had empty seats? Makes sense.

I can't imagine that any tickets would be unsold. There was definitely no lack of interest in the match, TV reports in recent days have shown just how many people are desperate to obtain tickets.

Lot of people by tickets and then sell it in black.Some of my Pak friends do the same thing,first they buy several tickets and then fail to resell it

That is weird, I would assume some seats empty, but that many? Something doesn't seem right.

Maybe from what people saw from the PSL final, and the number of security layers they had to go through a lot of people didn't bother coming/didn't want to deal with it.

There's no way that this wasn't a sellout. No way

I'm baffled as to why people are finding it such a mystery to point out exactly why.

Lot of people bought the tickets to all 3 matches and quite a few tickets were handed out to corporates and organizations for their employees.

And some didnt show up for today

For eg 2 if my work friends have tickets for 2 matches and they are still in Karachi :))

I think they ill go for later ones

Oh come on. A few empty seats on a working day does not mean there is a lack of interest! Bare in mind the match finished past midnight local time!

I thought one of the matches was on a Tuesday and then the next 2 were Friday and Saturday. Turns out they're not:facepalm: PCB will always leave something to be desired.

There is definitely some mismanagement on part of PCB.

The tickets were cheaper than PSL final and same rate as Zimbabwe series (I guess), and all those matches were full houses. This is World x1, and we are our playing first game after winning Champions Trophy 3 months ago, it surely was going to be a sell-out

Just watching the replay and i can see people getting off their seats and moving around. Especially behind the batsman. Legs ide and off side looks packed. Crowd looks great.

DJikVX9XoAAe4bc.jpg

this picture is a disgrace to Lahore and Pakistan :facepalm:

There are empty seats because of abundance of supply. Three games in 4 night is too much cricket and too many options for the viewers. Most people will not be able to watch all three games from the stadium due to work, personal commitments and financial constraints. If there was only one T20 being played in Lahore, the game would have been over sold, irrespective of it being a weekday or not. PCB can not be blamed for scheduling all three games in Lahore since the touring teams only feel comfortable playing in Lahore for now. Hopefully this is the first step of cricket returning to Pakistan and in future more centers will be used to host matches and each city will only host one game. Then all games will be sold out with tons of people standing outside the stadium (of course only for T20's and ODI's).

The crowd was 65% max and it lacked enthusiasm that the 2015 Zimbabwe series crowd had.

Heard the prices are too high, getting to the ground is a mission especially with the 3 hours before the match starts and the roads are all at a halt for hours and all the security checks etc; with the heat.

At times when a wicket fell or a boundary was hit from the World XI, it was dead silence as it was being played in India.

Very surprising that there were some empty seats. Hoping today is better; Friday definitely should be better. I've heard from many people that getting tickets in Pakistan is a process that causes a lot of hassle and hence some fans don't bother going to the stadium; hoping this isn't the reason.

I don't think people understand. The goal was achieved - all the tickets were sold! I know this for a fact because I couldn't get tickets for the first OR the second day. People from all over Punjab and the rest of Pakistan were impatient for this game.

There a few reasons some of the seats were empty and I'll list them:

1) First of all, as my friends who were present in the stadium have told me, most of the people wanted to get the best view possible and therefore didn't bother to sit on their seats, yet roamed around and we're close to the grill to see the action from a closer distance.

2) The match, like any other cricket game was a long one and this photo is of when a lot of people who had come in to watch the game had left. I don't blame them. I went to watch the Zimbabwe series in 2015 and I couldn't stay in the ground for the entire game. It is EXTREMELY hot and humid in Lahore these days and therefore, people are bound to start leaving after getting a glimpse of the action.

3) The goal was to make money and to have all tickets sold - that was achieved by the PCB. The problem is, like another poster has mentioned, a lot of people buy tickets in bulk early on only to later sell them at a higher price in the black market. Most probably their tickets went unsold and the PCB made money anyway.

4) One enclosure was purposely shut down with fans not allowed to enter, reasons must only be known to the PCB.

Also I felt the coverage was a bit limited too. I saw one guy with a yellow shirt and the green and white jester hat 4 times during the game on TV. It was as if the Camera guys wanted to use that one shot only to show how international cricket has revived itself in the Pakistani public

I don't think people understand. The goal was achieved - all the tickets were sold! I know this for a fact because I couldn't get tickets for the first OR the second day. People from all over Punjab and the rest of Pakistan were impatient for this game.

1) First of all, as my friends who were present in the stadium have told me, most of the people wanted to get the best view possible and therefore didn't bother to sit on their seats, yet roamed around and we're close to the grill to see the action from a closer distance.

2) The match, like any other cricket game was a long one and this photo is of when a lot of people who had come in to watch the game had left. I don't blame them. I went to watch the Zimbabwe series in 2015 and I couldn't stay in the ground for the entire game. It is EXTREMELY hot and humid in Lahore these days and therefore, people are bound to start leaving after getting a glimpse of the action.

3) The goal was to make money and to have all tickets sold - that was achieved by the PCB. The problem is, like another poster has mentioned, a lot of people buy tickets in bulk early on only to later sell them at a higher price in the black market. Most probably their tickets went unsold and the PCB made money anyway.

4) One enclosure was purposely shut down with fans not allowed to enter, reasons must only be known to the PCB.

This is an issue that must be addressed. There are people who pay a decent amount of money to sit on their seats and try to watch the game without anyone blocking the view. Instead you get these over smart guys who care less about the rules of the stadium and overpower a few stewards into standing in front of everyone

This is an issue that must be addressed. There are people who pay a decent amount of money to sit on their seats and try to watch the game without anyone blocking the view. Instead you get these over smart guys who care less about the rules of the stadium and overpower a few stewards into standing in front of everyone

I don't remember there being any such rules with you being restricted to the proximity of your individual seat. However I do agree with your initial statement and I am assured that the PCB will most definitely be working towards technological advancements and facilities within the stadium.

First and foremost however it is most important that the seating capacity of the GSF is increased.

i am visiting gadaffi stadium since 2008.
even during some national t20 matches stadium was full but that paticular stand in the picture was either always empty or they only opened when the whole staium was full.
dont know why

I don't remember there being any such rules with you being restricted to the proximity of your individual seat. However I do agree with your initial statement and I am assured that the PCB will most definitely be working towards technological advancements and facilities within the stadium.

First and foremost however it is most important that the seating capacity of the GSF is increased.

the enclosure you get ticket of you will stay there and i think only VIP enclosure ticket holders like to sit and watch a t20, others mostly stand on chairs and dance.

Should have done games Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Also, I noticed that crowd wasn't cheering too much for the opposition team. We shouldn't be like Bengali and Indian fans. These players are doing Pakistan a big service by coming and playing in the series. I hope on Friday the crowd cheers for the World XI team as loudly as they are cheering for the Pakistan team.

Should have done games Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Also, I noticed that crowd wasn't cheering too much for the opposition team. We shouldn't be like Bengali and Indian fans. These players are doing Pakistan a big service by coming and playing in the series. I hope on Friday the crowd cheers for the World XI team as loudly as they are cheering for the Pakistan team.
PCB wanted tour to end before by-election on 17 sept

Back