POTW: Major

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Well done to our esteemed poster @Major, our POTW winner, for his very detailed breakdown of the whole 'Conflict of Interest' issue with former Chief Selector Inzamam-ul-Haq.

I can give you guys a summary of the issue,

Before i start, I will tell you that there are alot of lies and alot of allegations that have been thrown out. And alot of misrepresentation of facts which has ruined the whole actual story.

So here we go:

Events that took place
1. Fakhar Alam claimed on his Pavilion show after Pakistan lost a few games that they are doing investigative journalism, as they claimed that one agent is representing 4-6 players of the team. He roughly said that the core group which involves Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Shadab were represented by one agent/company.

He further stated that if this one agent is managing all these players, than their could be a conflict of interest that Babar is probably only selecting players that his Agent wants. Because every agent makes money off their player stardom, Fakhar also said that it could be possible that Babar's agent might be saying that select particular in the squad so that they could do brand building on that player.

He also said that because this agents company is located in England and in England businesses have to declare their owners and assets so they will investigate this further.

2. Here is a list of agents/management companies that are registered with PCB

One company in particular, Saya Corporation manages Rizwan, Shaheen, Babar and Fakhar. This is the company/agent in question.

This list is there on PCB's website. So any PCB employee claiming they dont know are being foolish.

3. Further investigation revealed that Saya corporation is owned by a holding company. That holding company has 3-4 directors, which includes Inzamam, Inzamam's brother, Mohammad Rizwan, and the agent himself. The name of the holding company is Yazoo international.

4. Now we will be going abit further back. The PCB contracts are annual contracts that start with the fiscal year starting from July. The players did not sign the new contracts, the issue was related to pays, compensations and sponsors.

4. A. The players point of view was that players have to do commercials and shoots for PCB's sponsors, but they dont get anything from those shoots. So they asked for a share in that. This was a fair demand
4. B. The players also said that they dont want to wear sponsors of betting companies. Someone also tried to get the Pakistani govt involved here and tried to get a bill passed on this aswell.

5. PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf released a statement where he said the team was picked by Inzamam and Babar, and placed a kind of blame on them.

6. Zaka Ashraf has an interview with Shoaib Jatt. Shoaib Jatt is an ary journalist that has developed a personal issue with Babar Azam over the last few years and does bias journalism.

In this interview, Zaka Ashraf ended up saying many things that should not had been said AT THIS TIME. He said that Inzamam and Rizwan would be investigated, along with that he also mentioned how Babar got the team he wanted and all.

7. Rashid Latif made a claim that Zaka Ashraf is not picking the call of Babar Azam, thus, the falling out has been a very big one.
8. ARY ends up sharing a screenshot of a msg where an employee of PCB contacted Babar whether this story was true that Zaka Ashraf was not responding to Babar. Babar said no on that msg, and the screenshot was shared by ARY. It was revealed that Zaka Ashraf himself gave this screenshot to Shoaib Jatt and asked him to broadcast this.

Allegations by ARY Hosts/Journalists:

1. Babar Azam was selecting players on the advices of his agent. They were selecting players of that agent so that the brand value of that player can increase by playing for Pakistan and than that player can land good sponsors and deals that would benefit the agent more.

2. Babar was forcing all the players to hire only his agent only to represent them or else they wont be in the team.

3. Inzi was selecting the team based on who was being represented by Saya corporation.

4. Rizwan was also behind such decisions and Babar is the front man in the team to make sure all players sign with this particular agent.

5. The agent was the murshid and was calling all the shots on who will play and not play

THE ACTUAL ISSUE:

The actual issue are four in this case.

1. Why did Rizwan and Inzi hide the fact that they owned the company? Because Saya corporations website does not mention them at all.

Its the holding company's documents, Yazoo International that mentions Inzi and Rizwan as directors.

So this does raise a valid question.

2. Rizwan had issues with betting companies acting as sponsors for PSL teams. Ok, a valid concern, but the issue that is more serious here is that he made a company, got it to hire players and made a small association, and than used that association as a pressure point against PCB and PSL management to not take betting companies as sponsors.

Question is, can Rizwan do that? Can he sabotage PCB or PSL sponsor and marketing plans just for his own beliefs? Because the sponsors pay money in advance and have to bare a huge opportunity cost if they dont get to sponsor the tournament more, plus PSL losses out on sponsors.

PSL and the betting companies can sue Rizwan here.

3. Inzamam is Chief Selector, and also owns a sports agency. So one can say there is conflict of interest as Inzi could be selecting players that would make his own sports company look good and earn profits for him.

4. The contracts have not been signed by the players, thus they have been unpaid for the last 4 months. Now, the question is whether Babar and co are forcing other players and there agents to not sign the contract and threatening them with expulsion from the team or not. Because Saya does not represent all of the Pakistani team, there are 10 more agents, but why is it that all players are not signing a contract.

These are the actual issues that no one is really focusing on. Everyone is trying to create sensationalism and link corruption here because there are people that hate Babar Azam, there are a group of people that hate Rizwan, there are a group of people that love Sarfraz and want him back as captain. Plus, as we are losing the world cup, and we love to somehow make claims that players are sold out so they are trying to make a linkage of this issue with corruption. The whole story is like a khecheri that has been created.

Before i end this post, i also want to share a few facts that disapprove alot of the stuff that have been claimed by ary:

A few actual Facts:
I did my own investigation for these facts

1. The core of the team is Babar, Shaheen, Rizwan, Shadab, Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah and Imam ul haq. Now if the story was true that Babar wants all players to be represented by Saya Corporation, than why is Shadab and Haris Rauf represented by Insignia Sports Management which is an international company. Imam Ul haq, Inzi's nephew is represented by a company called Agent Haq, why isnt he represented by his own uncle's company than? If this was true, than the first guy that should be representing Saya should be Inzi's own nephew. Naseem Shah is represented by ICA.

2. There was alot of hue and cry that Babar did not select Abrar in the 15 man squad. Guess what, Abrar Ahmad is represented by Saya corporation. So if they are selected players in the final 15 than why wasn't Abrar selected in the final 15?

3. It is true, that the Agent or Sports Management company that represents the captain ends up bagging more player contracts. There is nothing wrong in this, the players want to be represented by the captains company or the captain will often refer the company/agent who represents him to the other players.

When Afrid was captain, ACE Management was representing Afridi, Anwar Ali, Ahmad Shezad and many of the Pakistan stars.

When Misbah was captain, he was represented by ICA of Moghees Ahmad, and ICA would end up representing Azhar Ali, Mohammad Hafeez and Sarfraz Ahmad.

Thing is, this whole case has blown out of proportions. There is an issue that needs to be concentrated on, but opportunist are trying to milk this and change the narrative, plus the chairman is further putting fuel to the fire.

@Major Congrats brother, I read your posts. Thanks for providing insights on saya, you've opened my views on it now.

Hopefully others read as well, Keep spreading the truth broskie.

This is a very informative post. Need more of these on this platform.

Great post.

It seems obvious to me that Inzamam should have resigned his Director position with the agency when accepting the role of Chief Selector. It’s not at all unusual for players to be represented by the same agency or even the captain to be part of an agency that other players on the team are also part of - but the degree of separation for the selectors is necessary. Of course, based upon the other things you listed such as Abrar not being picked even though he’s part of the same agency as well as many members of our core group of players continuing to be picked whole not being part of the agency, it is possible nothing unethical may have happened.

I imagine Inzamam will be forced to produce all his communications with the agency. The truth is, even if he didn’t behave unethically, there should not even be the appearance or possibility of such a conflict of interest for such an important position.

Congrats @Major Sahab !
Very detailed and well explained analysis.
Love seeing you around the forum!

Great post that broke down a complex issue in a wonderfully succing way.

Congrats, it was well deserved.

Thanks for the award, and thanks for the nice words guys
Really good post.

I believe Chairman Zaka Ashraf has messed things up a lot in trying to save his seat.

It's so important to have Chariman on merit through proper channel and not purely political appointment so the Chairman can make a long term plan and actually work in the Cricket Board rather than pulling strings to save himself.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I think there will be an investigation on whether Yazoo owns Saya or not. If they dont own them, than Inzi and Rizwan are safe, but if it is proven that they do own them, some lawsuits maybe incoming.

But as of yet, amongst the whole hue and cry, there is no document that suggests Yazoo owns Saya. Just the owners/directors are similar and nothing else.

One of my favourite posters on this forum. Very well deserved POTW on a very insightful post. Congrats @Major bhai

@Major is a very good cricket analyst and always backs his comments with enough information… congratulations on the POTW award.

Back