Predict teams' final standings in the ICC World Cup 2023

battler

ODI Debutant
Runs
I think it would go like this.

10.) Netherlands - Although their match with Afghanistan should be a good one, Afghanistan definitely have the better spinners in Asian conditions.Netherlands looking likely to finish last.

9.) Bangladesh - Even though Bangladesh is a superior odi outfit than Afghanistan, I expect Afghanistan to beat them this time. Bangladesh will most likely lose to the rest except for the Netherlands.

8.) Afghanistan - I expect them to win 2 matches at the World Cup and finish on 8th position.

7.) New Zealand - Yes this would shock many. The finalists for the last 2 times and I'm putting them at 7th. They have a decent team, without being a spectacular one.

6.) Pakistan - Too reliant on their 3 seamers. Batting lacks the explosive power required on flat decks. Most likely would lose to the top 5 in a batting shootout.

5.) Sri Lanka - They seem to be improving their cricket off late and have an army of very useful spinners. Their batting even though not great is pretty serviceable. Expect them to surprise teams at this World Cup.

4.) South Africa - I think they have a pretty solid team. Their batting is criminally under-rated and will actually win them matches more than their over-rated bowling. I expect them to make it to the semi's where they will perform their usual choke job.

3.) England - Again easy semi final contenders. Power house batting. Bowling is a bit thin and likely to be tonked on flat surfaces. I expect Australia to beat them in the Semi's.

2.) India - I think India will do one better this time and reach the final. I expect us to beat South Africa in the semi's and lose to Australia in the final. Don't see us winning 2 knockout matches on the trot. Although I hope I am wrong here.

1.) Australia - Well I really hope I am wrong. Australia have the team to win their 6th odi World Cup and they have done decently in recent odi's played in India as well. Superior mental strength than any other team.

Nice to see you back, battler. Long time.
I thought Pakistan had a chance but after recent events with Naseem bring ruled out , I agree they are not contenders.

But they are still better than NZ who have looked absolutely terrible and listless. And Williamson weakens that lineup.

The 4 contenders are Australia, England, RSA and India. Australia have been hit by many injuries but I expect them to have adequate replacements and manage the remaining injuries.

As far as the rest are concerned, I totally agree about SL.

They are rapidly improving and the biggest threat outside of top 6.

They have to get Kusal Perera in ahead of Karunaratne.

Once Chameera, Madushanka and Hasaranga also joins Wellalage , Pathirana and Theeksana, they have an incredibly varied bowling attack .

They have to improve their out cricket though. Mendis was keeping terribly and running between the wickets was worse than associate level.

If they can rapidly improve those, they are a quality side who can knock any team out on a helpful pitch.

Nice to see you back, battler. Long time.
I thought Pakistan had a chance but after recent events with Naseem bring ruled out , I agree they are not contenders.

But they are still better than NZ who have looked absolutely terrible and listless. And Williamson weakens that lineup.

The 4 contenders are Australia, England, RSA and India. Australia have been hit by many injuries but I expect them to have adequate replacements and manage the remaining injuries.

As far as the rest are concerned, I totally agree about SL.

They are rapidly improving and the biggest threat outside of top 6.

They have to get Kusal Perera in ahead of Karunaratne.

Once Chameera, Madushanka and Hasaranga also joins Wellalage , Pathirana and Theeksana, they have an incredibly varied bowling attack .

They have to improve their out cricket though. Mendis was keeping terribly and running between the wickets was worse than associate level.

If they can rapidly improve those, they are a quality side who can knock any team out on a helpful pitch.
Thanks buddy. Good to be back.
Sri Lanka could be the dark horse of the tournament. I don't expect them to win it but it won't be a surprise if they somehow sneak into the semi's.

I would back Afghanistan and Netherlands to beat Pakistan.

We are completely down mentally, Babar has rifts with his entire team because they don’t seem to realize that they are supposed to do better for the country.

The fraud Shaheen Afridi is more interested in lobbying and central contracts to care about Pakistan.

Besides Babar, no one else is taking the WC seriously in the team it is entirely obvious.

I would back Afghanistan and Netherlands to beat Pakistan.

We are completely down mentally, Babar has rifts with his entire team because they don’t seem to realize that they are supposed to do better for the country.

The fraud Shaheen Afridi is more interested in lobbying and central contracts to care about Pakistan.

Besides Babar, no one else is taking the WC seriously in the team it is entirely obvious.
I don't see this happening and I still believe that Pakistan will be playing the semi-final at least in this world cup.

I don't see this happening and I still believe that Pakistan will be playing the semi-final at least in this world cup.
How?

Our best pace bowler is injured. Our ‘supposed’ bowling spearhead is too busy lobbying and doesn’t understand he has cost us two big games and knocked us out.

All our players are besharam and have made us a laughing stock.

Babar is the only one thinking about this team at this point of time, the rest are all thinking about central contracts and their precious leagues.

I know we don’t have to believe in the leaks, but there’s no smoke without fire.

How?

Our best pace bowler is injured. Our ‘supposed’ bowling spearhead is too busy lobbying and doesn’t understand he has cost us two big games and knocked us out.

All our players are besharam and have made us a laughing stock.

Babar is the only one thinking about this team at this point of time, the rest are all thinking about central contracts and their precious leagues.

I know we don’t have to believe in the leaks, but there’s no smoke without fire.
Being a Pakistani fan, I have to stay optimistic and believe that we will be there no matter what. Pakistan team always has a thing to bounce back after humiliation. We can still make it if the squad comes together and play some positive cricket. I don't want to trust all these rumors.

Normally being underdogs is the best position for Pakistan to spring a surprise.

But in this case i just can't see where the surprise is going to come from.

I agree with OP's rankings. We have too many weaknesses which the big teams will ruthlessly exploit.

For me, this would be the final standings after the round-robin matches.

1. India
  2. Australia
  3. England
  4. Pakistan
  5. South Africa
  6. New Zealand
  7. Sri Lanka
  8. Bangladesh
  9. Afghanistan
  10. Netherlands

1. England
2. India
3. Australia
4. South Africa
5. Pakistan
6. NZ
7. SL
8. BD
9. AFG
10. NED

Hard to predict between top 4. But Im fairly convinced these teams will make semis.

It'll be all about turning up in 2 crucial matches.

Fairly confident about order of bottom 6.

England (champion)
Australia
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Netherlands.

1. Australia
2. India
3. Pakistan
4. Sri Lanka
5. England
6. South africa chokers

England will bomb out spectacularly this time on turning pitches.
Sri Lanka will be the surprise package.
I think they are underrated.

Pakistan can beat anyone on their day. So can India and Australia.

Once we reach top 4 it's about who holds their nerve best. I do believe the winner will be an Asian side.

So either Pakistan India or Sri Lanka will win the title.

England (champion)
Australia
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Netherlands.
No way new Zealand who are our perennial whipping boys in world cups ate finishing above us. Neither is England.

No way new Zealand who are our perennial whipping boys in world cups ate finishing above us. Neither is England.

New Zealand can lose to Pakistan and still make it to semi-final.

Regarding England, I think they are a big favorite to win the World Cup. They have Stokes, Butler, Brook, Livingstone, Moeen, Bairstow, Adil, Wood etc.

India - 1
Australia - 2
Pakistan - 3
England - 4
New Zealand - 5
South Africa - 6
Sri Lanka - 7
Bangladesh - 8
Afghanistan - 9
Netherlands - 10

INDIA
ENGLAND
PAKISTAN
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
SOUTH AFRICA
SRI LANKA
AFGHANISTAN
BANGLADESH
NETHERLANDS

INDIA VS AUSTRALIA SEMI = AUSTRALIA WILL WIN
PAKISTAN VS ENGLAND SEMI = ENGLAND WILL WIN

Former Australian wicketkeeper-batter Adam Gilchrist has picked his four semi-finalists for the upcoming ICC World Cup 2023. Gilchrist has backed India, Pakistan, Australia, and England to make the last four.

"I think India and Pakistan could feature in the semi-finals, Australia and England are another two teams," Gilchrist told PTI.

"Australia will learn a lot from their efforts in South Africa when they come to India, they have got three games before the World Cup against India so they will have a bit more of a full strength squad there so that might tell us a bit about where they are at so its a bit hard who's gonna win it (World Cup) but I think there is probably four semi-finalists there," said Gilchrist.

Full strength Australia would be the best odi side on flat tracks although bowling is a tad overrated. Cummins is not that good in odi. Starc has declined. Replacements all look subpar barring maybe Spencer.

Warner
Head
Marsh
Smith
Green
Stoinis/david
Carey
Cummins
Starc/spencer
Zampa
Hazlewood

Pakistan perform better when not in limelight. They would make the semis, SA would choke out.

Anything can happen in semis since the teams would have adjusted to the conditions in this long tournament.

Expecting a Aus Vs India/Pak final.

Why are people overrating England so much here?

Their bowling is not up to the mark for Indian conditions. Woakes, Topley, Willey, Curran , Moeen .... too many average options. They're way too dependent on their batting to get them to strong positions every game.

Australia
India
South Africa
England

Australia to beat England in Wankhede
India to beat South Africa at Eden Gardens

Australia to win the final in Ahmedabad...

October 5 - England vs New Zealand - England Win

October 6 - Pakistan vs Netherlands - Pakistan Win

October 7 - Bangladesh vs Afghanistan - Afghanistan Win

October 7 - South Africa vs Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka Win

October 8 - India vs Australia - India Win

October 9 - New Zealand vs Netherlands - New Zealand Win

October 10 - England vs Bangladesh - England Win

October 10 - Pakistan vs Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka Win

October 11 - India vs Afghanistan - India Win

October 12 - Australia vs South Africa - South Africa Win

October 13 - New Zealand vs Bangladesh - New Zealand Win

October 14 - India vs Pakistan - India Win

October 15 - England vs Afghanistan - England Win

October 16 - Australia vs Sri Lanka - Australia Win

October 17 - South Africa vs Netherlands - South Africa Win

October 18 - New Zealand vs Afghanistan - New Zealand Win

October 19 - India vs Bangladesh - India Win

October 20 - Australia vs Pakistan - Australia Win

October 21 - Netherlands vs Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka Win

October 21 - England vs South Africa - England Win

October 22 - India vs New Zealand - New Zealand Win

October 23 - Pakistan vs Afghanistan - Afghanistan Win

October 24 - South Africa v Bangladesh - Bangladesh Win

October 25 - Australia vs Netherlands - Australia Win

October 26 - England vs Sri Lanka - England Win

October 27 - Pakistan vs South Africa - South Africa Win

October 28 - Australia vs New Zealand - Australia Win

October 28 - Netherlands vs Bangladesh - Bangladesh Win

October 29 - India vs England - India Win

October 30 - Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka Win

October 31 - Pakistan vs Bangladesh - Pakistan Win

November 1 - New Zealand vs South Africa - South Africa Win

November 2 - India vs Sri Lanka - India Win

November 3 - Netherlands vs Afghanistan - Netherlands Win

November 4 - New Zealand vs Pakistan - Pakistan Win

November 4 - England vs Australia - Australia Win

November 5 - India vs South Africa - India Win

November 6 - Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka - Bangladesh Win

November 7 - Australia vs Afghanistan - Australia Win

November 8 - England vs Netherlands - England Win

November 9 - New Zealand vs Sri Lanka - New Zealand Win

November 10 - South Africa vs Afghanistan - South Africa Win

November 11 - Australia vs Bangladesh - Australia Win

November 11 - England vs Pakistan - England Win

November 12 - India vs Netherlands - India Win

1 - India - 16 Points

2 - England - 14 Points

3 - Australia - 14 Points

4 - New Zealand - 10 Points

5 - South Africa - 10 Points

6 - Sri Lanka - 8 Points

7 - Pakistan - 6 Points

8 - Bangladesh - 4 Points

9 - Afghanistan- 4 Points

10 - Netherlands - 2 Points

Basically a repeat of the 2019 WC.

India v New Zealand - New Zealand Win

Australia V England - England Win

New Zealand v England - England Win

My predictions...........

England vs New Zealand
Pakistan vs Netherlands
Bangladesh vs Afghanistan
South Africa vs Sri Lanka
India vs Australia
New Zealand
vs Netherlands
England vs Bangladesh
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka
India
vs Afghanistan
Australia vs South Africa
New Zealand vs Bangladesh
India vs Pakistan
England vs Afghanistan
Australia vs Sri Lanka
South Africa vs Netherlands
New Zealand vs Afghanistan
India vs Bangladesh
Australia vs Pakistan
Netherlands vs Sri Lanka
England vs South Africa
India
vs New Zealand
Pakistan vs Afghanistan
South Africa
v Bangladesh -
Australia vs Netherlands
England vs Sri Lanka
Pakistan vs South Africa
Australia vs New Zealand
Netherlands
vs Bangladesh
India vs England
Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka
Pakistan
vs Bangladesh
New Zealand vs South Africa
India vs Sri Lanka
Netherlands vs Afghanistan
New Zealand
vs Pakistan
England vs Australia
India vs South Africa
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka
Australia vs Afghanistan
England vs Netherlands
New Zealand vs Sri Lanka
South Africa vs Afghanistan
Australia vs Bangladesh
England vs Pakistan
India vs Netherlands

1. India (8-1)
2. England (7-2)
3. Australia (7-2)
4. South Africa (6-3)
8. Bangladesh (2-7)
9. Afghanistan (2-7)
10. Netherlands (1-8)

SF1: India vs South Africa
SF2: England vs Australia

Final: India vs England

1.India
2.Australia
3.Newzealand
4.Pakistan
5.England
6.Sri Lanka
7.South Africa
8. Afghanistan
9. Netherlands
10. Bangladesh

Semi 1. India VS Pakistan, Pak wins
Semi 2. Australia Vs New Zealand, AU's wins

Final. Aus Wins

India (1), Australia (2), Pakistan (3), New Zealand (4)

India vs Pak final - India wins

England are being over-rated, they will struggle in Indian conditions.

If India play 6 batters instead of Pandya at 6, we are winning this whole thing. Other teams can pack their bags and go home :)

Thought the first 2 ODIs had made it clear that 6 batters was the way to go.

But without that, even semis might be tough.

So, I'll go

Australia
RSA
England
Open - conditionally India

India (1), Australia (2), Pakistan (3), New Zealand (4)

India vs Pak final - India wins

England are being over-rated, they will struggle in Indian conditions.
Pakistan 3? Ind, Aus, Eng, SA, NZ, SL or even beat this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Bharat
2. Pakistan
3. Southern Afrikaan
4. New Zealand
5. Aussies
6. England
7. Bangladesh
8. Sri lanka
9. Afganistan
10. Holland

Semi finals :-
Southern Afrikaan beats Bharat
Pakistan beats New Zealand

Final:-
Pakistan vs Southern Afrikaan

Winner:-
Southern Afrikaan

MOTT : Kuldeep Yadav , Bharat

Lol at everyone being so convinced about England and Australia in semis.

Semis will be

India / Pak / Sa and one of Eng, Aus & NZ.

The trashing Eng got I am not sure how they will recover (NRR) and also mentally. NZ will crumble at some point when wickets get slow as the tournament progresses.

BD in this WC is much stronger than above predictions.

I would pick them as one of semifinalist along with India.

India
BD = Pak = NZ
SA
SL= Australia
England
Ned = Afg

After matches with Australia, England and India. It will be clear , what are the perspects of Pakistan in this world cup. I said it, by keeping in mind the performance of Pakistan against Minnow Netherlands

Lol at everyone being so convinced about England and Australia in semis.

Semis will be

India / Pak / Sa and one of Eng, Aus & NZ.

The trashing Eng got I am not sure how they will recover (NRR) and also mentally. NZ will crumble at some point when wickets get slow as the tournament progresses.
Aus
India
Nz
Pakistan

India vs nz semis
Aus vs Pakistan semis

Pak wins semis
.India makes it this time bs nz

India pak final

Pak to win. Dream. But probably India wins the final

After matches with Australia, England and India. It will be clear , what are the perspects of Pakistan in this world cup. I said it, by keeping in mind the performance of Pakistan against Minnow Netherlands
After yesterday's impressive win against Sri Lanka, it looks very likely that Pakistan going to make it to the semi-finals. The other teams are very likely to be India, Australia and England but you cannot count out New Zealand and South Africa easily.

I still stand by my claims

SA
Eng
NZ
India

^^ These 4 are your semi finalists with India and NZ final because India and Nz will finish top 2 on the stage meaning they won't play each other in semi finals.

Australia won't make it because Smith and labu are going to cripple Australia this tournament as we saw with India.

Pakistan is good, Excellent win against sri lanka, but I don't see them beating SA, Eng, NZ or India. Not with their bowling lineup or their long tail beginning from sheddy at 7 or imam opening.

I still stand by my claims

SA
Eng
NZ
India

^^ These 4 are your semi finalists with India and NZ final because India and Nz will finish top 2 on the stage meaning they won't play each other in semi finals.

Australia won't make it because Smith and labu are going to cripple Australia this tournament as we saw with India.

Pakistan is good, Excellent win against sri lanka, but I don't see them beating SA, Eng, NZ or India. Not with their bowling lineup or their long tail beginning from sheddy at 7 or imam opening.
South Africa are definitely producing real quality cricket and they would surely be a contender to reach the semifinals. England and India should also make it to the top 4. I would put Pakistan instead of New Zealand in the top 4.

I think it would go like this.

10.) Netherlands - Although their match with Afghanistan should be a good one, Afghanistan definitely have the better spinners in Asian conditions.Netherlands looking likely to finish last.

9.) Bangladesh - Even though Bangladesh is a superior odi outfit than Afghanistan, I expect Afghanistan to beat them this time. Bangladesh will most likely lose to the rest except for the Netherlands.

8.) Afghanistan - I expect them to win 2 matches at the World Cup and finish on 8th position.

7.) New Zealand - Yes this would shock many. The finalists for the last 2 times and I'm putting them at 7th. They have a decent team, without being a spectacular one.

6.) Pakistan - Too reliant on their 3 seamers. Batting lacks the explosive power required on flat decks. Most likely would lose to the top 5 in a batting shootout.

5.) Sri Lanka - They seem to be improving their cricket off late and have an army of very useful spinners. Their batting even though not great is pretty serviceable. Expect them to surprise teams at this World Cup.

4.) South Africa - I think they have a pretty solid team. Their batting is criminally under-rated and will actually win them matches more than their over-rated bowling. I expect them to make it to the semi's where they will perform their usual choke job.

3.) England - Again easy semi final contenders. Power house batting. Bowling is a bit thin and likely to be tonked on flat surfaces. I expect Australia to beat them in the Semi's.

2.) India - I think India will do one better this time and reach the final. I expect us to beat South Africa in the semi's and lose to Australia in the final. Don't see us winning 2 knockout matches on the trot. Although I hope I am wrong here.

1.) Australia - Well I really hope I am wrong. Australia have the team to win their 6th odi World Cup and they have done decently in recent odi's played in India as well. Superior mental strength than any other team.
Are you still putting Australia at number 1 spot after their 2 defeats?

India
SA
NZ

Fourth slot will go to one of Eng/Australia/Pak in that order. If pak wins tomorrow they will mostly make it in place of NZ

The top 4 currently are likely the 4 semi finalists. Tournament suddenly seems long now. Might as well fast forward to 15th November already.

Funny looking at how overhyped England was a month ago in the predictions. And most consistently underestimating sa or nz

Woww. The only person who didn't predict England. Well done bro

It was obvious? Root hasn't played for 4 years, neither has Stokes? And Brooks is a hack. It was a weak no 3 to no 6 lol and the bowling was weak without Archer.

I am suprised that the openers and butler performed poorly. I didn't think England would finish last.

I thought they'd finish 5th or 6th lol.

Also thanks ❤️❤️. Appreciate your kind words. I am turning out to be a prediction god.

1. India
  2. South Africa
  3. Australia
  4. New Zealand
  5. Pakistan
  6. Afghanistan
  7. Sri Lanka
  8. England
  9. Netherlands
  10. Bangladesh

Back