Rajasthan: Doctor refuses to admit pregnant Muslim woman, child dies after delivery

Bhaag Viru Bhaag

Senior Test Player
Runs
A government hospital in Rajasthan's Bharatpur district has come under the scanner for allegedly citing the religion of a pregnant Muslim woman as grounds for refusing to admit her at the hospital.

The pregnant woman, after leaving the hospital, delivered the child inside the ambulance but the infant could not survive.

"My pregnant wife had to deliver a child. She was referred from Sikri to the Janana Hospital in the district headquarter but the doctors here mentioned that we should go to Jaipur because we are Muslim. As I was taking her in the ambulance, she delivered the child but the baby died. I hold the administration responsible for my child's death," Irfan Khan, the husband of the woman who was refused admission, alleged.

"A woman had come for delivery but in a critical state. She was referred to Jaipur and whatever laxity happened will be investigated," Dr Rupendra Jha, Principal, Janana Hospital, Bharatpur, said.

Vishvendra Singh, Rajasthan tourism minister, lashed out at the refusal of the doctor, currently posted as the Head of Department in OBS and Gynae department at the Government hospital in Bharatpur for refusing admission to the woman because of her religion.

Singh tweeted a video in which he stated that the woman was referred to the Janana Hospital in Bharatpur where she was refused admission by a doctor named Dr Moneet Walia. He added that the state health minister is also an MLA from Bharatpur.

Vishvendra Singh, in his tweet, wrote, "Pregnant Muslim Woman was refused medical attention at the Zenana Hospital in Bharatpur and was told to go to Jaipur given her religion. Local Bharatpur MLA is state health minister and this is the condition of the hospital in Bharatpur City. Shameful."

The Rajasthan tourism minister said that "there can be nothing more shameful than this". "This is a secular state and the government is extremely sensitive about such matters," he added.

Vishvendra Singh also mentioned that action will be taken against the accused doctor in the matter.

The Rajasthan tourism minister added that just because the Tablighi Jamaat has been linked to a surge of coronavirus cases in the country it does not mean that citizens of the Islamic faith are going to be treated the way the pregnant lady was.

Singh tweeted, "The (Tablighi) Jamaat has most certainly been hazardous to the entire country. However, it does not mean that citizens of the Islamic faith are treated the way a pregnant lady was handled by the doctors in Bharatpur Zenana Hospital. The local MLA is also the Minister of State for Health."

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi also condemned the incident. Tweeting a testimony from the husband, Owasi wrote, "The staff must be tried & punished as common criminals & should receive exemplary punishment. They are responsible for the death of an innocent woman. Should we now stop seeking healthcare? Anti-Muslim hate reaches new heights every day & is costing us our lives."

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...-child-dies-after-delivery-1663352-2020-04-04

This is a result of a continous propaganda against muslims in India. There are doctors who are risking their lives by treating corona patients and here were we have this doctor who looks at the religion of his patients before treating them.

Think this does not deserve a seperate thread and should be merged with "Muslims fear backlash in India" thread. There are 1.5 billion people in India and if we start creating seperate threads for every childs death, there wont be any other topics to discuss.

I get the agenda part but we need to be more cognizant while opening threads.

Think this does not deserve a seperate thread and should be merged with "Muslims fear backlash in India" thread. There are 1.5 billion people in India and if we start creating seperate threads for every childs death, there wont be any other topics to discuss.

So you have nothing else to say on topic?

this is the India we know! Full of hatred for Muslims.A child died and this guy the Muslims hater with his straight face saying this stuff.What if he was your child? unn se puch insaniyat ke dushman unn pe kya beet rahi hai.

this is the India we know! Full of hatred for Muslims.A child died and this guy the Muslims hater with his straight face saying this stuff.What if he was your child? unn se puch insaniyat ke dushman unn pe kya beet rahi hai.

His only problem is why I created this thread. He doesn't care about that child's death because he was muslim.

It is a fake news. The child died is the 7th one for the women and there are complications as well and hence rightly referred to better hospital.

I hope you read about from doctor's point of view instead of jumping on to create thread for gaining followers across border. That women is pregnant 7th time and she is aneamic. Bharatpur is like a very small city with nothing to offer. So she referred to big city near bharatpur i.e. Jaipur's SMS. I am Rajasthani and I know about it. In same small city hospital, many Muslims are getting treatment that same time.

Last edited:
Did a Rajasthan Hospital Refuse to Treat a Pregnant Muslim Woman?

In Rajasthan's Bharatpur district, Irfan Khan, an agricultural labourer from Sikri, has claimed that the Zanana District Hospital authorities refused to treat his eight-month pregnant wife Parveen because they were Muslim, leading to the death of his girl child on 4 April. After these allegations made headlines, the administration launched an investigation into the matter on 5 April and concluded that the claims could not be proven.

The three-page report was drafted by a Rajasthan government body, the Urban Improvement Trust, and submitted by its secretary Ummedi Lal Meena to Bharatpur Collector Nithmal Didei.

The Quint brings you all three versions of the story — from Irfan Khan, the Congress MLA and from the Bharatpur administration.

'They Didn't Want to Take Risk': Irfan Khan

Speaking to The Quint from his home in Bela gaon in Nagar Tehsil of Sikri, 34-year-old Khan, who works as an agricultural labourer, shares his version of what happened on 4 April.

"It started when my wife, 32-year-old Parveen, was feeling uncomfortable. Our baby, our seventh now, was not due for another month. After some thought and talk, we decided to go to the nearest hospital," Khan said.

From the Sikri hospital, they were referred to Bharatpur civil hospital. Khan says here he was asked his name and other particulars while the doctors spoke to him. "They asked me where I came from and what my name was. As soon as I said ‘Sikri’, they looked up and started telling each other that I was from the Sikri pahaad where the 'tablighi jamaat had gone from'. They also said that they ‘should not take risk’ and referred us to a Jaipur hospital."

Khan says they had barely gone a kilometer away from the hospital when his wife, who was accompanied by his sister-in-law Fatima, delivered a baby girl in the back of the private ambulance they had hired. Rushing back to the hospital, Khan was unaware that the child was dead.

"I took the stretcher myself, picked up my wife and laid her on it. She was holding on to our daughter. The hospital did not let me in. They kept saying they had referred us to the Jaipur hospital so we should go back."

Irfan's U-Turn and Explanation

A day after telling the media that the hospital staff was negligent in giving his wife the care she needed as she was Muslim, Khan made a U-Turn from his claim.

In another video, he said, "I had a feeling then that this is happening with me because I’m a Muslim. Personally, the doctors did not say anything to me, this was only my personal thinking."

When confronted about his change of stance, Khan put out yet another video claiming that he was being “pressurised”.

"I shot that video only due to the pressure on me from the beginning. Some people kept telling me to not say anything, that I will face issues in the future. I gave into the pressure and said that it was only my thinking," he says in the new video.

Congress Minister Backs Khan, Says He Was Pressurised

Khan had called mediapersons to raise an alarm after the death of his child. It was only after they called people up, including Maharaja Vishvendra Singh, who is cabinet minister from Bharatpur, that Khan claimed that the authorities had indeed treated his wife.

In several tweets, Singh told a media channel, "I am in the government but sorry, the government machinery is trying to suppress it, the police and the administration together try to quell the matter."

In another tweet, he said, "It is clear that the government is trying to suppress the truth."

What Rajasthan Govt's Report Says

The report by the Rajasthan government has quotes of Khan, his sister-in-law Fatima and the doctor who attended Parveena at Zanana Hospital, Dr Rekha Jharwal.

The report quotes Khan to say, “While the doctor did not say that they will not treat me because I am a Muslim, they did ask my name and address and said that Tablighi Jamaat is from the same area. I was not abused or beaten.”

The report also has Fatima's quote, which says, "They referred us to the hospital in Jaipur, but during this time, they did not abuse us or hit us. Nor did they tell us that since we were Muslims we will not be treated."

Lastly, we have Dr Rekha Jharwal who said that she met Parveena at 8:50 am and she was admitted to the hospital.

"She had excessive bleeding due to which her body was weak and the child's heartbeat could not be heard. It was looking at her critical condition that she was referred to the hospital in Jaipur. I did not behave badly with her or say that we will not treat her as she is a Muslim."

The report also adds how in the month of March 2020, the hospital in question had eight Muslim women delivering babies. Therefore, based on all these things, the report says it can be concluded that the allegation of bias cannot proved.

https://www.thequint.com/news/india...arveen-zanana-hospital-muslim-tablighi-jamaat

Just like you, so many has hidden agenda and gain to create controversy like this. Congress and Owaisi are same @Bhaag Viru Bhaag

I hope you read about from doctor's point of view instead of jumping on to create thread for gaining followers across border. That women is pregnant 7th time and she is aneamic. Bharatpur is like a very small city with nothing to offer. So she referred to big city near bharatpur i.e. Jaipur's SMS. I am Rajasthani and I know about it. In same small city hospital, many Muslims are getting treatment that same time.

Why are you guys so hurt about me creating this thread? Concentrate on the topic at hand rather than getting upset on me. And if it is fake news you are more than welcome to prove it and report it. Its coming from IndiaToday website.

Abdullah posted article. Hope you can read that he changed his statement to create controversy. She is pregnant 7th time. [MENTION=134981]Bhaag Viru Bhaag[/MENTION] we are not upset from you, just like you give your opinion at last on first post. We did it too, we judge you like you judge others from half news.
Do you know in same hospital, many Muslim patients are treating that same time. Do you have any answer to that?

What an atrocious post. How can you have such hatred for Muslims? A life is a life, and every single life matters. Lost a lot of respect for many Indian posters here. Moderators are being too lenient for hate crime posts, please don't make Pakpassion into twitter and ban criminal like posters.

Abdullah posted article. Hope you can read that he changed his statement to create controversy. She is pregnant 7th time. [MENTION=134981]Bhaag Viru Bhaag[/MENTION] we are not upset from you, just like you give your opinion at last on first post. We did it too, we judge you like you judge others from half news.
Do you know in same hospital, many Muslim patients are treating that same time. Do you have any answer to that?

I have given a link to that article in the OP. Ask these questions there and don't shoot a messenger. It's from IndiaToday's website.

don't know whether this news is fake or real. One thing is for sure is that a new life has been lost and this is a sad incident indeed. That baby didn't deserve to die. May god bless her soul RIP

don't know whether this news is fake or real. One thing is for sure is that a new life has been lost and this is a sad incident indeed. That baby didn't deserve to die. May god bless her soul RIP

Thats not the point though. A childs death is sad affair and there are no second opinion about it. But giving it a fake religious angle at the expense of a human life is shameful. We all must be more responsible towards spreading fake news.

Last edited:
I can remember another story when the cow brigade beat to death a father and threatened the son and forced him to change his statement.

Thats not the point though. A childs death is sad affair and there are no second opinion about it. But giving it a fake religious angle at the expense of a human life is shameful. We all must be more responsible towards spreading fake news.

Look at your first post in this thread

Think this does not deserve a seperate thread and should be merged with "Muslims fear backlash in India" thread.

You immediately wanted this thread to be merged with 'Muslims fear backlash' one. And now you are acting all innocent and asking others to not give a fake religious angle? My question to you is did you even read the OP before posting your first reply in this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my.... Leave the guy alone he's posted what's published by "Indiatoday.in" and based is opinion what is being spread by "indiatoday.in"
If you have an issue contact the source

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...-neboen-birth-death-ambulance-muslim-6349338/

This was already discussed a day or two ago..not sure new post is made that too without adding all sides point of view.

So from calling it a fake news to posting a link of a story yourself. How does that work?

You were more than welcome to add other point of views of this story earlier also which is why threads are created here. It's proven this news is not fake because her husband did give a statement first(OP) and then took a U Turn(Abdullah's post). Now why did he take a U Turn that's the question.

Last edited:
So from calling it a fake news to posting a link of a story yourself. How does that work?

You were more than welcome to add other point of views of this story earlier also which is why threads are created here. It's proven this news is not fake because her husband did give a statement first(OP) and then took a U Turn(Abdullah's post). Now why did he take a U Turn that's the question.

Saying this happened because patient is Muslim is Fake news..This news is already published still you chose one sided version and then question others.

His sister in law also said she didn’t heard anything about religion.

Last edited:
Saying this happened because patient is Muslim is Fake news..This news is already published still you chose one sided version and then question others.
The guy gave a statement first and then took a U Turn. How is it fake?

From OP :

"My pregnant wife had to deliver a child. She was referred from Sikri to the Janana Hospital in the district headquarter but the doctors here mentioned that we should go to Jaipur because we are Muslim. As I was taking her in the ambulance, she delivered the child but the baby died. I hold the administration responsible for my child's death," Irfan Khan, the husband of the woman who was refused admission, alleged.

From Abdullah's post :
Irfan's U-Turn and Explanation

A day after telling the media that the hospital staff was negligent in giving his wife the care she needed as she was Muslim, Khan made a U-Turn from his claim.

In another video, he said, "I had a feeling then that this is happening with me because I’m a Muslim. Personally, the doctors did not say anything to me, this was only my personal thinking."

I am sure the OP got super sprung the moment he googled search this. This is a sad thing to happen however there is no communal angle here. Medical facilities are overwhelmed and even in western countries people are not getting beds or being admitted. This is wrong but don’t think there is any communal angle here. This was wrong regardless if true.

A government hospital in Rajasthan's Bharatpur district has come under the scanner for allegedly citing the religion of a pregnant Muslim woman as grounds for refusing to admit her at the hospital.

The pregnant woman, after leaving the hospital, delivered the child inside the ambulance but the infant could not survive.

"A woman had come for delivery but in a critical state. She was referred to Jaipur and whatever laxity happened will be investigated," Dr Rupendra Jha, Principal, Janana Hospital, Bharatpur, said.

Vishvendra Singh, Rajasthan tourism minister, lashed out at the refusal of the doctor, currently posted as the Head of Department in OBS and Gynae department at the Government hospital in Bharatpur for refusing admission to the woman because of her religion.

Singh tweeted a video in which he stated that the woman was referred to the Janana Hospital in Bharatpur where she was refused admission by a doctor named Dr Moneet Walia. He added that the state health minister is also an MLA from Bharatpur.

Vishvendra Singh, in his tweet, wrote, "Pregnant Muslim Woman was refused medical attention at the Zenana Hospital in Bharatpur and was told to go to Jaipur given her religion. Local Bharatpur MLA is state health minister and this is the condition of the hospital in Bharatpur City. Shameful."

The Rajasthan tourism minister said that "there can be nothing more shameful than this". "This is a secular state and the government is extremely sensitive about such matters," he added.

Vishvendra Singh also mentioned that action will be taken against the accused doctor in the matter.

The Rajasthan tourism minister added that just because the Tablighi Jamaat has been linked to a surge of coronavirus cases in the country it does not mean that citizens of the Islamic faith are going to be treated the way the pregnant lady was.

Singh tweeted, "The (Tablighi) Jamaat has most certainly been hazardous to the entire country. However, it does not mean that citizens of the Islamic faith are treated the way a pregnant lady was handled by the doctors in Bharatpur Zenana Hospital. The local MLA is also the Minister of State for Health."

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi also condemned the incident. Tweeting a testimony from the husband, Owasi wrote, "The staff must be tried & punished as common criminals & should receive exemplary punishment. They are responsible for the death of an innocent woman. Should we now stop seeking healthcare? Anti-Muslim hate reaches new heights every day & is costing us our lives."

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...-child-dies-after-delivery-1663352-2020-04-04

This is a result of a continous propaganda against muslims in India. There are doctors who are risking their lives by treating corona patients and here were we have this doctor who looks at the religion of his patients before treating them.

This is extremely sad, among all the humans I put doctors on top and for a doctor to do that really breaks my heart, I am crying

The guy gave a statement first and then took a U Turn. How is it fake?

From OP :

From Abdullah's post :

He saying its a Muslim thing is fake, thats why he had to take U turn.

Probelm here is this is 2 days old news and counter points also already published bu t you still choose to post source which suits your agenda now calling others :)))

This is extremely sad, among all the humans I put doctors on top and for a doctor to do that really breaks my heart, I am crying

Doctor's version below..Looks liek OP ignored updated news about this subject..

“She was seven months pregnant and was bleeding excessively. Because of this, the woman had become too weak and the child’s heartbeat couldn’t be heard. After seeing this serious condition, the advice was given to send her to the women’s hospital Jaipur and after her relatives agreed, she was referred following initial treatment. I have not misbehaved with the woman and her relatives and neither were they refused treatment owing to them being Muslim,” states the statement of Dr Rekha Jharwal from the hospital

I am sure the OP got super sprung the moment he googled search this. This is a sad thing to happen however there is no communal angle here. Medical facilities are overwhelmed and even in western countries people are not getting beds or being admitted. This is wrong but don’t think there is any communal angle here. This was wrong regardless if true.

It's nothing to do with medical systems overwhelmed its more to do with seriousness of condition and they referred to better hospital.

It's nothing to do with medical systems overwhelmed its more to do with seriousness of condition and they referred to better hospital.

Fair enough. Missed that part earlier. Also irresponsible to make this a communal issue

Fair enough. Missed that part earlier. Also irresponsible to make this a communal issue

Atleast that is not media fault because media posted what that guy claimed but after it got debunked people need to be careful to use proper source.

He saying its a Muslim thing is fake, thats why he had to take U turn.

Probelm here is this is 2 days old news and counter points also already published bu t you still choose to post source which suits your agenda now calling others :)))

Once again how is it a fake news when the guy actually gave a statement in OP and then took a U Turn? Why does it matter if it's a 2 days old news?

Once again how is it a fake news when the guy actually gave a statement in OP and then took a U Turn? Why does it matter if it's a 2 days old news?

The guy faked the reason and media blindly believed that fake reason.

It matters because 1 day later new updates came with feedback from patients Suster in law denying it and also doctors version.So posting a news which was already debunked is bit strange..

I am surely not like some of you who create accounts here to vent out their hate against muslims. Rather than continously crying here you should actually go to indiatoday's website and ask them why have they posted this story. Back to topic at hand.

The guy faked the reason and media blindly believed that fake reason.

It matters because 1 day later new updates came with feedback from patients Suster in law denying it and also doctors version.So posting a news which was already debunked is bit strange..

So why are you blaming me? Go cry at their website. If you don't have anything else to add to the topic just ignore this thread. Or if you are still interested then try to find why did he take a U Turn? Did somone force him to change his statement? Discussion continues....

So why are you blaming me? Go cry at their website. If you don't have anything else to add to the topic just ignore this thread. Or if you are still interested then try to find why did he take a U Turn? Did somone force him to change his statement? Discussion continues....

You should have easily used other news sources which quoted ths correctly..I am not blaming you for spreading fake news or bait but we can always verify news we post.

He took U turn because Patients Sister in law gave statement sayign doctors didnt used religion as reason and they asked them to take bigger hospital because of patient's condition.

You should have easily used other news sources which quoted ths correctly..I am not blaming you for spreading fake news or bait but we can always verify news we post.

He took U turn because Patients Sister in law gave statement sayign doctors didnt used religion as reason and they asked them to take bigger hospital because of patient's condition.

So who will decide which source is correct? It's coming from india today's website and if I am not wrong you also use this source quite a lot?

That's your opinion about his U turn. No problem with that. But in my opinion(which coule be wrong) he took a U turn either because he was forced by someone or he didn't want to get into this mess.

Last edited:
So who will decide which source is correct? It's coming from india today's website and of I am not wrong you also use this source quite a lot?

That's your opinion about his U turn. No problem with that. But in my opinion(which coule be wrong) he took a U turn either because he was forced by someone or he didn't want to get into this mess.

Because new sources gave update..That's why i mentioned 2 day old news..If its todays we wouldnt have realised you are posting fake news until tomorrow :)

So who will decide which source is correct? It's coming from india today's website and if I am not wrong you also use this source quite a lot?

It's not my opinion..It's the statement patient's sister in law gave to administartion which is ruled by Congress Party
The report adds that the sister-in-law of Khan’s wife had said in her statement that the staff at the Bharatpur hospital referred them to Jaipur, but did not abuse or heckle them. She also said that they were not told that they won’t be treated because they are Muslims, the report says.
https://indianexpress.com/article/i...-neboen-birth-death-ambulance-muslim-6349338/

Because new sources gave update..That's why i mentioned 2 day old news..If its todays we wouldnt have realised you are posting fake news until tomorrow :)

You are more than welcome to post the updated news coming from indiatoday and continue the discussion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's the complete story (the circled term G6P7, APH)👇🏾<br>This is a case of Antepartum Haemorrhage (APH) or bleeding prior to delivery.<br>The patient was anaemic & undergoing her seventh pregnancy.<br>Hence her case was deemed complicated.<br>She was rightly referred to a better hospital. <a href="https://t.co/QnSsmJSDcT">https://t.co/QnSsmJSDcT</a> <a href="https://t.co/vjvtaXjxD6">pic.twitter.com/vjvtaXjxD6</a></p>— Soumyadipta (@Soumyadipta) <a href="https://twitter.com/Soumyadipta/status/1246656846166818816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[MENTION=133135]kaayal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]
[MENTION=128087]last_knight[/MENTION]
[MENTION=140234]DRsohail[/MENTION]
[MENTION=141839]moghul[/MENTION]

PLEASE look at the referral paper of the case involved.

Read it.

To me it appears as a case of APH with severe anaemia in pre term pregnancy(28 weeks). Most likely the case needs immediate CS with a fully equipped NICU for the baby to even have any chance of survival.

I from my experience can tell you that such expertise is most likely not available in a perpheral health center and hence the referral.

Guy gave a statement and then took a U turn. You can't call that fake.

Guy gave a "fake" statement which got busted by Wife's Sister in Law...Also it's easy for medical community to check the statement given by doctor

Guy gave a "fake" statement which got busted by Wife's Sister in Law...Also it's easy for medical community to check the statement given by doctor

I hear that the minister is facing the wrath of doctors and now has quietly crawled back into his hole.

Did you actually read the thread?

Did you read the thread? Can you please tell why did he take a U Turn? I mean who forced him to change his initial statement? Was he threatened just like they show it in Bollywood movies?

Did you read the thread? Can you please tell why did he take a U Turn? I mean who forced him to change his initial statement? Was he threatened just like they show it in Bollywood movies?

Ask that person. How am i supposed to know why he changed his narrative?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's the complete story (the circled term G6P7, APH)&#55357;&#56391;&#55356;&#57342;<br>This is a case of Antepartum Haemorrhage (APH) or bleeding prior to delivery.<br>The patient was anaemic & undergoing her seventh pregnancy.<br>Hence her case was deemed complicated.<br>She was rightly referred to a better hospital. <a href="https://t.co/QnSsmJSDcT">https://t.co/QnSsmJSDcT</a> <a href="https://t.co/vjvtaXjxD6">pic.twitter.com/vjvtaXjxD6</a></p>— Soumyadipta (@Soumyadipta) <a href="https://twitter.com/Soumyadipta/status/1246656846166818816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[MENTION=133135]kaayal[/MENTION]
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]
[MENTION=128087]last_knight[/MENTION]
[MENTION=140234]DRsohail[/MENTION]
[MENTION=141839]moghul[/MENTION]

PLEASE look at the referral paper of the case involved.

Read it.

To me it appears as a case of APH with severe anaemia in pre term pregnancy(28 weeks). Most likely the case needs immediate CS with a fully equipped NICU for the baby to even have any chance of survival.

I from my experience can tell you that such expertise is most likely not available in a perpheral health center and hence the referral.

I agree with the doctor here if the above mentioned details are true. Patient can’t be treated in a peripheral centre with a medical emergency like this. With APH, there needs an emergency C-section and even then the risk is very high in this case.

Interestingly most Indians have stopped posting in that thread since it has since been confirmed that the stories of Tableeghis spitting on medical staff and abusing them was fake news.

Far more evil than this 'fake news' when you consider that the father was probably emotional after seeing his baby die after being born in an ambulance after being told to go to a different hospital.

Interestingly most Indians have stopped posting in that thread since it has since been confirmed that the stories of Tableeghis spitting on medical staff and abusing them was fake news.

Far more evil than this 'fake news' when you consider that the father was probably emotional after seeing his baby die after being born in an ambulance after being told to go to a different hospital.

Sorry but it's not a fake news. Her husband changed his statement, under whose pressure it is still not known.

Unfortunate as the incident was, i don't think it was a communal problem. Congress government in Rajasthan has done a good job so far in keeping communal elements at bay. Had this been legit they would have come down hard on the offenders.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People who flew with the story on Saturday should have verified facts before communalising an unfortunate neonatal death. A politician may have an ace to grind against another but journalists should be careful.<a href="https://twitter.com/MayaramArvind?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MayaramArvind</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/talhaarahman?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@talhaarahman</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/shehryar_khanum?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@shehryar_khanum</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CarniJain?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CarniJain</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Shiraz_EM?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Shiraz_EM</a> <a href="https://t.co/b96r7z3EA4">https://t.co/b96r7z3EA4</a></p>— Rakesh Goswami (@DrRakeshGoswami) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrRakeshGoswami/status/1246708493886857216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Another video of Bharatpur. Irfan Khan says no one mentioned his religion while turning his wife away; it was a figment of his imagination. “I thought if I weren’t a Muslim maybe they would have taken my wife in,” he says. <a href="https://twitter.com/vishvendrabtp?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@vishvendrabtp</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Soumyadipta?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Soumyadipta</a> <a href="https://t.co/961QVU8KE9">pic.twitter.com/961QVU8KE9</a></p>— Rakesh Goswami (@DrRakeshGoswami) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrRakeshGoswami/status/1246779120408821761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry but it's not a fake news. Her husband changed his statement, under whose pressure it is still not known.

And how are you so sure that he changed his statement under pressure ? Did you go talk to him ? He could have also realized the mistake he's made being emotional at his child's death.

And how are you so sure that he changed his statement under pressure ? Did you go talk to him ? He could have also realized the mistake he's made being emotional at his child's death.
Look at the video posted above by [MENTION=143530]Swashbuckler[/MENTION] in my opinion that looks like a forced statement. His statement also proves that he did give a statement mentioned in the OP so this news was not fake. He did the right thing by taking a U turn.

I agree with the doctor here if the above mentioned details are true. Patient can’t be treated in a peripheral centre with a medical emergency like this. With APH, there needs an emergency C-section and even then the risk is very high in this case.

What are the chances of survival of 28 week baby even in a govt set up?

What are the chances of survival of 28 week baby even in a govt set up?

In Kerala we have very good NICU set up in almost all Govt Medical Colleges. At 28 weeks, i have seen 80-90% survival. But in this case, if it’s Abruptio placenta with Sub chorionic hemorrhage than there is high chance that the fetus has died inutero within 5-10 minutes. Except an Emergency C section within that 10 minute interval, nothing could have saved it.

Last edited:
Also it’s this lady’s 7th pregnancy? I mean I blame the government here, need to put a stop to this irresponsible breeding.

And no this has nothing to do with the religion, it’s just that people like this have 7 kids, were will they get money for education, nourishment etc etc and what are the odds that some of these kids won’t turn out to be good law abiding citizens.

This is actually a bigger problem highlighted here as tragic as this incident was of her losing her kid.

This Pregnant Woman Was Denied Treatment at a Buxar Govt Hospital – and She's Not Alone

Patna: Bihar’s public healthcare service, which often grabs headlines for the lacunae of resources at its hospitals and health centres, can now add another notch to its lengthy belt of shame. With the coronavirus pandemic underway, communalism has allegedly cost a pregnant woman the life of her first child.

Gulshan Khatoon, 22, who hails from Kazipur village of Simri block in west-central Bihar’s Buxar district, allegedly lost her baby due to denial of health services, first at the nearest primary health centre (PHC) in Simri, and again at the Sadar Hospital in Buxar, the main hospital of Buxar district.

Khatoon felt labour pains begin in the wee hours of April 29, 2020, and was rushed to the Simri PHC by her mother and aunt. On admission, she was attended to by the auxiliary nurse midwife (ANM), who commenced primary treatment. However, Khatoon alleges that, on learning that she was Muslim, the ANM stopped treatment and subjected her to abuse and prejudice. Khatoon also alleges that the ANM compelled her to leave the hospital.

“When my labour pains began, my mother and aunt rushed me to Simri PHC in an auto. It was 3 am when we reached and I was attended to by the ANM. But the moment the ANM learned my name, she yelled at and abused us, saying ‘I won’t treat a Muslim as you can spread corona infection’, and ordered us to leave for Sadar hospital. She compelled me to leave the bed. Despite our requests, she stubbornly refused,” a grief-stricken Khatoon alleged, while speaking to The Wire over the phone. With no ambulance service available, she had to continue to the larger, government-run Sadar Hospital in Buxar in the same auto.

Shockingly, Khatoon alleges she was again refused treatment at Buxar Sadar Hospital, though more subtly than at the Simri PHC. Khatoon says she was left isolated and untreated in a separate ward for hours. The only ‘treatment’ she received was the suggestion of an ultrasonography test. Later, a nurse told her that the ultrasonography facility was not available at the Sadar hospital and suggested she get it done at a private hospital.

Khatoon by the time was overcome with labour pains and the three women had to run from pillar to post in search of treatment. They travelled out of Buxar, but found that all clinics and hospitals were closed. Only after asking locals were they able to find that the private Aditya Emergency Hospital in Kerat, 30 km away from Buxar town, was open. There, Khatoon delivered a stillborn baby.

Sources at the hospital alleged to The Wire that, while the baby could have been stillborn for any number of reasons, the mother being denied immediate treatment, being forced to rush from place to place while undergoing labour pains, and the exhaustion and mental stress she suffered, certainly did not help. Gulshan being a primigravida, i.e. a woman who is pregnant for the first time, should have been treated at the earliest opportunity after intense labour pains began, but this did not happen. This could be a reason for the death of the foetus in the womb itself, a doctor at the hospital alleged to The Wire.

Khatoon’s family had to cough up Rs 2,000 for the auto and Rs 10,000 at the private hospital, a huge burden for the women who had no immediate savings. Both Khatoon’s husband and father are migrant workers stranded in Hyderabad, left without work due to the total nationwide lockdown.

“This devastation hit us at a time when my husband and father are stranded in Hyderabad. They are migrant labourers engaged in stone-crushing work. My hope and happiness turned into horror and sorrow. Hate for Muslim identity was prioritised over treatment of the needy,” said a sobbing Khatoon.

Declining treatment to Khatoon allegedly on the basis of her Muslim identity is a complete violation of the rules of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). Any prejudice against Muslim patients violates their rights adopted by the health ministry in March, 2019. As per the eighth right in the Charter of Patients’ Rights for adoption by NHRC, a patient cannot be denied treatment on the basis of their religion.

Mishandling cases of pregnant women has become a norm in Buxar. On April 26, a pregnant Neelam Devi reportedly died after having to rush from a government health centre to another hospital. It has been alleged that Devi was first denied treatment because she had come from Naya Bhojpur village, reportedly a COVID-19 hotspot.

On April 23, Chandini Khatoon, also of Kazipur village, was also allegedly denied a check-up and treatment by ANMs and doctors at Simri PHC, The Wire has learned. A couple of months ago, Sanjay Yadav and Pooja Kumar of Purana Bhojpur village reportedly lost their baby at the sub-divisional hospital in Dumraon, Buxar, allegedly due to doctor’s negligence and oxygen unavailability. The 60-bed hospital allegedly runs with just a few medical staff on hand at any given time.

Buxar district, despite being among the major hotspots of COVID-19, has provided faulty health services at its PHCs, sub-division level hospitals and main district hospital. In the midst of a health emergency like the coronavirus pandemic, the Dumraon sub-divisional hospital was found closed for eight days from April 22 to 29, during the complete nationwide lockdown.

Also read: Bihar: A Day in the Life of an ASHA Worker During Lockdown

“There is a sinister design against minorities and backward castes at government hospitals and health centres. Gulshan Khatoon’s case is an example of identity-based prejudice. Such derogatory incidents regularly occur. The patient’s identity (Muslim, Dalit, Mahadalit) is the reason behind discrimination in health service delivery. It is a matter of shame and grave concern. The state government must take note and also stern action against this,” alleged Dr Shakeel-ur-Rahman, convener of the Bihar Chapter of the Jan Swasthya Abhiyan network, to The Wire.

Dr Shakeel-ur-Rahman added that the Buxar Civil Surgeon, after being informed about Gulshan Khatoon’s case, constituted a team to investigate the matter. The Wire tried to contact both the Buxar Civil Surgeon and Aman Samir, the Buxar District Magistrate, but have received no response from either at the time of publishing.

Apart from the state government and district administration, such poor facilities and denial of treatment should also annoy the Bharatiya Janata Party member of parliament for Buxar, Ashwini Kumar Choubey, who also happens to be the Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare. The ground reality in his home district stands contrary to Choubey’s announcement in August last year, that doctors will soon be available to the common people at their doorstep under the ‘Chikitsa, Chikitsak Aapke Dwar’ scheme. Doctors, however, still remain far from the common man’s reach.

According to the National Family Health Survey for 2015-16, poor socio-economic groups prefer public hospitals for institutional deliveries over private ones, because they can’t afford private health care. But delivery rooms in government hospitals are plagued by staff absenteeism and dearth of essentials such as oxytocin – a natural hormone administered to mothers right after childbirth to stop bleeding – and medical equipment including surgical gloves.

Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, pregnant women of marginalised communities in Buxar are facing disrespect, abuse and denial of treatment due to their identity. This reflects even more poorly on Bihar’s already woeful condition of public health services.
https://thewire.in/communalism/bihar-pregnant-woman-government-hospitals-treatment

May Allah make the lives of Indian Muslims easier.... Might to tough to live in a failing country with a Nazi ruler.

you called him a bigot yet you yourself are intolerant of accepting the fact that he has a view that is different from that of yours.

Seems like you are suffering from same symptoms that you are accusing of Joshila.

Why should a doctor support religious political organizations? Aren’t you an atheist?

Why should a doctor support religious political organizations? Aren’t you an atheist?

Aren't we being intolerant about accepting the fact that a doctor can also have personal opinion? Or should we take away his right of having a personal opinion (as he is a doctor), and degrade him to be a lesser human being who can either agree with your view or he can have no view at all?

Aren't we being intolerant about accepting the fact that a doctor can also have personal opinion? Or should we take away his right of having a personal opinion (as he is a doctor), and degrade him to be a lesser human being who can either agree with your view or he can have no view at all?

I’m all for it but just to lay it out- for example a doctor that doesn’t believe in science are you ok with that even if it is his personal opinion, he might say its hand of God working through me to do this surgery , are you ok with it?

Not degrading anyone but an organization that has people promoting hate speeches(multiple examples plz google) and if some doctor supports that I would atleast like to question it as to why a doctor would support them?

I’m all for it but just to lay it out- for example a doctor that doesn’t believe in science are you ok with that even if it is his personal opinion, he might say its hand of God working through me to do this surgery , are you ok with it?

Not degrading anyone but an organization that has people promoting hate speeches(multiple examples plz google) and if some doctor supports that I would atleast like to question it as to why a doctor would support them?

For people who can separate their personal and professional lives, it's no big deal.

Mr. Joshila can support any ideology he wants.

Dr. Joshila is bound to help the people as a medical service provider.

There's no rule in life which states that these two roles can't co exist though in their separate path.

For people who can separate their personal and professional lives, it's no big deal.

There's no rule in life which states that these two roles can't co exist though in their separate path.

So your point is a person can support or believe any ideology irrespective of his profession, and that it shouldn’t affect his duties, ok.

I have to agree with this post.

However, when the doctor starts discriminating based on his personal views (assuming these stories are correct), he deserves his license to be revoked and sent behind bars for malpractice.

Back