Rangana Herath now has a five-for against every Test opponent

What a champion of a bowler is Rangana Herath.

I absolutely admire his attitude towards gave of cricket. After Sanga/Mahela, my favorite Lankan!

The one thing that separates Herath from other modern day spinners is that he has the HEART of the yesteryear spinners (he's a 90s player not surprisingly).

Can keep pegging away even if nothing clicks.

Modern day spinners can't do that. If things don't work out the way they want, they either lose focus and bowl crap....or they switch off their brain and just bowl like a machine.

Last edited:
Extremely underrated bowler who should have taken 500 wickets had he played more in his early years.

Beautiful bowler, it is a delight seeing him bowl. Really is a showcase of how you don't need to get too fancy. Really, he only has 2 balls, the one that spins and the one that doesn't. Simply just varies between those 2, no need to get too fancy, keep it simple!

6 against Pak.. lmao. Back in the good old days of carrying 11 right handers.

We still do tbh but have Aslam now.

Just passed 350 test wickets with his 13 wicket haul.

51 wickets in the last six tests :herath

4/81, 0/63 v England, Lords
4/49, 5/54 v Australia, Pallekele
4/35, 2/74 v Australia, Galle
6/81, 7/64 v Australia, SSC
3/97, 3/38 v Zimbabwe, Harare
5/89, 8/63 v Zimbabwe, Harare

He needs just five more to overtake Vaas and become Sri Lanka's second highest all time wicket taker

Champion bowler. One of the best.

Even at Age 38, he is a Top 3 spinner currently.

I rate him higher than both Yasir and Ashwin based on his accomplishment. Has been taking wickets when he is 38 years old when the likes of Babar are struggling to take a single wicket.

An intelligent bowler and a very likeable character. I read an article that apparently Herath works in his off-time at Sampath Bank in Colombo !

He informs his bank manager when he's due for a series and takes his leave.

One of the best Asian spinners of modern times.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's so worrying how much we still depend on herath. at least when murali retired we had herath..not sure we have anybody when herath retires.

it's so worrying how much we still depend on herath. at least when murali retired we had herath..not sure we have anybody when herath retires.

I like Tharindu Kaushal. He rips the ball and gets big turn, which is fantastic for an off spinner. The only problem is he's young and raw, lacks control and concedes a stack of runs. So Kaushal needs to be paired with another spin bowler who keeps it tight and has some experience.

Also he had some action problems with his doosra, but to be honest I don't really think he needs one. Massive turning off breaks are enough, even against right hand batsmen, just bowl the odd straight one that doesn't spin and that's already a significant variation from his stock ball. There's no need to bowl one that goes the other way.

I like Tharindu Kaushal. He rips the ball and gets big turn, which is fantastic for an off spinner. The only problem is he's young and raw, lacks control and concedes a stack of runs. So Kaushal needs to be paired with another spin bowler who keeps it tight and has some experience.

Also he had some action problems with his doosra, but to be honest I don't really think he needs one. Massive turning off breaks are enough, even against right hand batsmen, just bowl the odd straight one that doesn't spin and that's already a significant variation from his stock ball. There's no need to bowl one that goes the other way.

to me he lacks the control needed to be an effective spinner in test cricket. and with that action i doubt if he'll ever have the necessary control.
not sure where kaushal is in the pecking order anymore either. he wasn't even among the 20 odd players they tried out against WI A?

to me he lacks the control needed to be an effective spinner in test cricket. and with that action i doubt if he'll ever have the necessary control.
not sure where kaushal is in the pecking order anymore either. he wasn't even among the 20 odd players they tried out against WI A?

Dilruwan Perera was getting spanked on Day 5 pitches vs Zim. Should they drop him?

He is only 23, plenty of time to work on his game and get into the side. I was just looking at his recent performances, bit of a mixed bag.

Here he took 2/223 on what appears to have been a phatta

http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/engine/match/937127.html

Which actually is not as bad as it sounds, because in the second innings some other spinner on the opposition team returned 0/129 in 10 overs... in an FC match!

Also Kaushal backed up from that performance the next week to take 6/87 and bowl Nondescripts to a win.

Another spinner I really liked was Amila Aponso, he looked good against Australia in the ODIs, and he recently took a 13 wicket haul for Sri Lanka Developmental Squad in South Africa against South Africa's equivalent team.

Gun bowler and a no nonsense attitude,respect from India

Very good bowler..As of now I would say only behind Warne, Murali, Swann and Kumble among post 2000s spin bowler.

What an amazing bowler he has been. Among the top 3 bowlers of last 6-7 years for sure, behind Steyn and perhaps equal or better than Anderson.

really big fan of his. i think he could probably play for a while longer too because his action is just so economical and smooth

The one thing that separates Herath from other modern day spinners is that he has the HEART of the yesteryear spinners (he's a 90s player not surprisingly).

Can keep pegging away even if nothing clicks.

Modern day spinners can't do that. If things don't work out the way they want, they either lose focus and bowl crap....or they switch off their brain and just bowl like a machine.

Good post, I concur.

Back