[REPORT] PCB offers to help Danish Kaneria gain employment [Update Post#72]

#GreenRoars

T20I Star
Runs
Karachi: Pakistan’s banned leg spinner Danish Kaneria has slammed the Pakistani and English cricket authorities after it was announced today that fast bowler Mervyn Westfield has been allowed to play lower-level cricket with one year of his spot-fixing ban remaining. “If anything, the permission by the England and Wales Cricket Board to allow special treatment to Westfield, confirms their bias and discrimination towards me throughout this case,” Kaneria told PTI in Karachi. The ECB anti-corruption tribunal had banned Kaneria for life in 2012 and Westfield was jailed the same year and banned from professional cricket for five years and club cricket for three years on spot fixing charges.

Both were banned after they played together for Essex in the English county championship. Westfield claimed in his testimony that he accepted a 6000 pounds to under-perform in a 40-over pro match between Essex and Durham in September 2009. The paceman claimed Kaneria had groomed him to indulge in spot fixing. “It just gets tougher to bear all this. On one hand the Pakistan board is not willing to even listen on me and now the ECB has allowed Westfield permission to play again,” Kaneria said.

“It is strange to me that I have not even confessed to any spot fixing nor has any solid evidence been shown against me. They never even put me on trial. But a person who admitted accepting money for spot-fixing and who changes his statements on oath is being shown leniency,” Kaneria lamented. “The ECB banned me on the basis of Westfield s statement which he changed during the hearings while they are not even willing to listen to me and talk evidence. I remain banned based on an individual’s statement and no real proof,” he added.

Kaneria who lost two appeals in the United Kingdom against his life ban is also facing a legal battle to avoid paying a compensation of around 200,000 pounds which the ECB is claiming from him to cover its costs for the spot fixing case. The ECB has filed a petition in the Sindh High Court to recover the money from Kaneria.

“I just say to these boards at least review this so called evidence and cross examine Westfield again. They banned me on basis of Westfield s testimony which is injustice.”

Pakistan s top leg spinner Abdul Qadir said he was pained by the plight of Kaneria. “I just feel sad for him because until now neither has the ECB nor the PCB shown us any real incriminating evidence against him. To add insult to injury now this fellow Westfield is allowed to resume playing cricket,” Qadir said.

“The way they proceeded in the case against Kaneria I have always felt the life ban was an extreme measure. What is disappointing is the way the PCB has kept quiet on this issue all this time. England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had banned Kaneria and not the ICC. Then on what grounds has the PCB barred him from playing cricket? He earns for a living from the game,” Qadir questioned.

Source : http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...er-mervyn-westfields-return-to-cricket-402750

“If anything, the permission by the England and Wales Cricket Board to allow special treatment to Westfield, confirms their bias and discrimination towards me throughout this case,” Kaneria told PTI in Karachi.

Or maybe it's that he admitted his wrong doing and spent his time going around educating youth and others about what he did and became part of an anti-corruption program. Unlike him you spent their time slagging off the ECB and claiming they've racially mistreated you and you're innocent against 'conclusive evidence'.

Or maybe it's that he admitted his wrong doing and spent his time going around educating youth and others about what he did and became part of an anti-corruption program. Unlike him you spent their time slagging off the ECB and claiming they've racially mistreated you and you're innocent against 'conclusive evidence'.
Perhaps. But the evidence against Westfield was sufficient for him to be charged for a criminal offence, be found guilty in a court of law and put in prison, whilst the evidence against Kaneria was deemed by the police as not being sufficient to even charge him with any criminal offence. So whilst Kaneria may well actually be guilty, in the eyes of the Law, Westfield is guilty but Kaneria is not. And yet Westfield can play again but Kaneria is banned for life

Interestingly, Kaneria, who has a life ban from cricket, but has no criminal record and thus there is no reason for being automatically refused a visitors visa for the UK, whilst the likes of Butt, who only received 5 year bans, would find it extremely difficulty to obtain a visitors visa for the UK.

PCB should make backdoor negotiations with the ECB. Either ban Mervyn for life and be strict to all, or allow Kaneria to continue playing domestic leagues by giving him the same sentence.

This is actual bias, racial or not

PCB should make backdoor negotiations with the ECB. Either ban Mervyn for life and be strict to all, or allow Kaneria to continue playing domestic leagues by giving him the same sentence.

No it's not racial bias.Westfield himself is black

Why should someone who lead a youth player into fixing and refuses to admit his guilt get the same sentence as the youth player who was lead into the fixing and admitted his guilt and has put his time into being part of a large anti-corruption scheme?

ok this is the part I don't understand

1) Westfield had conclusive evidence against him for corruption, he even confessed; and therefore served a periodic cricket ban with an addition of a legal prison sentence - ok fair enough.

2) Kaneria never confessed, the 'conclusive evidence' against him did not make the English law enforcement prosecute him of criminal charges and yet based on that same conclusive evidence he is banned for life by ECB.

Another extremely important aspect regarding this is that the evidence that ECB claims is conclusive, is yet to be made public, Why are they withholding evidence if it makes Kaneria look so overwhelmingly a cheat ?? I mean make it public and then sue Kaneria for damages right ??? I know they are doing that regardless but for transparency's sake it is only logical that the evidence be made public for all to see.

I am no rocket scientist or match/spot fixing apologist but clearly the logic and rationale behind this is lost when we see ECB's decision making regarding the Kaneria's case. I'd be really tempted to say that the handling of this has certainly made them act in a clown like manner to be honest.

ok this is the part I don't understand

1) Westfield had conclusive evidence against him for corruption, he even confessed; and therefore served a periodic cricket ban with an addition of a legal prison sentence - ok fair enough.

2) Kaneria never confessed, the 'conclusive evidence' against him did not make the English law enforcement prosecute him of criminal charges and yet based on that same conclusive evidence he is banned for life by ECB.

Another extremely important aspect regarding this is that the evidence that ECB claims is conclusive, is yet to be made public, Why are they withholding evidence if it makes Kaneria look so overwhelmingly a cheat ?? I mean make it public and then sue Kaneria for damages right ??? I know they are doing that regardless but for transparency's sake it is only logical that the evidence be made public for all to see.

I am no rocket scientist or match/spot fixing apologist but clearly the logic and rationale behind this is lost when we see ECB's decision making regarding the Kaneria's case. I'd be really tempted to say that the handling of this has certainly made them act in a clown like manner to be honest.

The evidence doesn't have to be made to the public so what precedent are the ECB setting if they're just going to give in to Kaneria's demands.

The evidence doesn't have to be made to the public so what precedent are the ECB setting if they're just going to give in to Kaneria's demands.

When the spot fixing saga occurred back in 2010 by a 3rd Party News Paper; the ECB was all in its business and their PR team/ journalists and ECB appointed media personnel we're covering even when the trio went to take a leak.

All of a sudden, its all about setting the right precedent when it comes to the case of Kaneria. You say the evidence doesn't have to be made public; well I say that ECB made a judicial error when it came to judging Kaneria's case - be it for any type of bias etc etc and now to cover their behinds they are putting forth def ears on the matter.

As I said you don't have to be a scientist to actually decipher the fail logic that's going on here. One guy confesses to a wrong doing, has overwhelming evidence against him, serves a prison sentence and is banned for a periodic cricket ban. However, the other doesn't have any publicly available conclusive evidence against him, doesn't confess to anything, is not tried by the law enforcement and yet gets handed a life ban :14:

I am no lawyer; as a matter of fact I provide statistical projections based on long term strategic business development programs but even I can clearly see that ECB either have some personal beef with Kaneria or are trying to save their repute and behinds by turning on def ears for a judicial blunder they made earlier in the piece.

When the spot fixing saga occurred back in 2010 by a 3rd Party News Paper; the ECB was all in its business and their PR team/ journalists and ECB appointed media personnel we're covering even when the trio went to take a leak.

All of a sudden, its all about setting the right precedent when it comes to the case of Kaneria. You say the evidence doesn't have to be made public; well I say that ECB made a judicial error when it came to judging Kaneria's case - be it for any type of bias etc etc and now to cover their behinds they are putting forth def ears on the matter.

As I said you don't have to be a scientist to actually decipher the fail logic that's going on here. One guy confesses to a wrong doing, has overwhelming evidence against him, serves a prison sentence and is banned for a periodic cricket ban. However, the other doesn't have any publicly available conclusive evidence against him, doesn't confess to anything, is not tried by the law enforcement and yet gets handed a life ban :14:

I am no lawyer; as a matter of fact I provide statistical projections based on long term strategic business development programs but even I can clearly see that ECB either have some personal beef with Kaneria or are trying to save their repute and behinds by turning on def ears for a judicial blunder they made earlier in the piece.

So because the public international media was all over an international spot fixing scandal by mutliple players in the Pakistan national team the ECB should suddenly start trying to hype up a case of 2 players in a small domestic match by releasing the evidence they have to the public? Not sure I'm getting your logic there.

Kaneria has been treated unjustly, it's quite shocking really....

So because the public international media was all over an international spot fixing scandal by mutliple players in the Pakistan national team the ECB should suddenly start trying to hype up a case of 2 players in a small domestic match by releasing the evidence they have to the public? Not sure I'm getting your logic there.

In the earlier post you claimed that ECB is setting the correct precedent by not making the evidence public to which I replied that they did exactly the opposite of what you we're suggesting when the 2010 Spot Fixing saga happened.

Being a professional body you cannot just simply change SOPs on legal judicial matter whether it be domestics or internationals. If they made everything public in the Spot fixing saga they should have done the same for this case as well - simple as that. There would be no fingers pointed at their dubious double standards if, as per your own words, had they followed a set precedent.

For all the professional, ethical and moral flag bearing ECB does in the cricketing circles a half competent board would really take these jokers to task on such matters. Unfortunately PCB have the most incompetent dimwits ever seen by the human race and unluckily Kaneria is right at the forefront of the matter. Trust me had this been any other country, Kaneria would be at least playing FC cricket right now and ECB would be the one paying damages.

In the earlier post you claimed that ECB is setting the correct precedent by not making the evidence public to which I replied that they did exactly the opposite of what you we're suggesting when the 2010 Spot Fixing saga happened.

Being a professional body you cannot just simply change SOPs on legal judicial matter whether it be domestics or internationals. If they made everything public in the Spot fixing saga they should have done the same for this case as well - simple as that. There would be no fingers pointed at their dubious double standards if, as per your own words, had they followed a set precedent.

For all the professional, ethical and moral flag bearing ECB does in the cricketing circles a half competent board would really take these jokers to task on such matters. Unfortunately PCB have the most incompetent dimwits ever seen by the human race and unluckily Kaneria is right at the forefront of the matter. Trust me had this been any other country, Kaneria would be at least playing FC cricket right now and ECB would be the one paying damages.

The ECB didn't release any evidence at all in the trio spot fixing case so I don't see how that's at all relevant?

Perhaps you personally would care to share the evidence the ECB has given you must clearly have access to it to be able to make statements such as "had this been any other country, Kaneria would be at least playing FC cricket right now and ECB would be the one paying damages" or is this just more conspiracy theories?

On another note, having just read through the documents I've noticed James Foster, David Masters and Mark Pettini (then Essex captain) all gave evidence that Kaneria had suggested on a coach journey returning from an away game that they could make more money from their remaining group games by fixing them as they were already unable to proceed to the next stage.

Tony Palladino and Chris Wright also both gave evidence that Westfield had showed him (and in Wrights case later been told by Palladino) the £6000 he had made from the fix and he had admitted that it was through a friend of Kaneria's, all prior to the hearing.

Varun Chopra also claimed he was called by Kaneria who suggested he could make money 'off the field without losing the game'.

That's a heck of a lot of players giving evidence against a player. Not quite relying on a single guilty players claims as Kaneria says now is it.

Last edited:
It was Kaneria who corrupted Westfield.

Unlike Kaneria, Westfield has admitted his crimes and served his time.

Kaneria has never taken responsibility for his despicable behaviour, preying on the most vulnerable of his team-mates. He really makes me sick.

The Crown Prosecution Setvice never charged Kaneria, because they considered his removal from the UK to be better value for money than locking him up. So these insulting claims of injured innocence will never end.

Where does poor Kaneria go from here, he has already exhausted all his life savings fighting his own battle alone and still the ecb is after him

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Where does poor Kaneria go from here, he has already exhausted all his life savings fighting his own battle alone and still the ecb is after him

From what I understand the initial monetary requirements from him were pretty low for the initial case, however have skyrocketed with his attempted appeals.

The ECB is not "after him".

I am no fan of the ECB, especially the dreadful Giles Clarke.

But Kaneria tried to corrupt countless vulnerable youngsters, who lined up to give evidence against him.

He got a much longer sentence than Amir, Asif and Butt because he was working for criminals - and knew he was - and preyed on the weak and vulnerable.

He has never admitted his crimes or expressed remorse. So why should the ECB consider commuting his sentence? There are no mitigating factors. He's a lucky guy that he's not in jail.

Last edited:
Lets be honest here, we would say the same thing if we were in his shoes and situation right now. Me personally I'm against his inclusion in any form of cricket.

Kaneria has never taken responsibility for his despicable behaviour, preying on the most vulnerable of his team-mates. He really makes me sick.

The Crown Prosecution Setvice never charged Kaneria, because they considered his removal from the UK to be better value for money than locking him up. So these insulting claims of injured innocence will never end.

The ECB did not took the case to the court of Law. Amir was adjudged convicted by the British court of Law while Kaneria by the Tribunal setup by ECB. Amir was criminally charged.

Make it simple for e.g. Amir was adjudged guilty by Supreme Court of Pakistan and Kaneria was adjudged guilty by the tribunal comprises by the Uni Lever Pakistan.

But Amir banned for 5 years for any job but Kaneria banned for life time.

Amir fix an International game. kaneria fix a domestic.

There is some discrimination. This is general perception.

Lets be honest here, we would say the same thing if we were in his shoes and situation right now. Me personally I'm against his inclusion in any form of cricket.

Simple question: If Amir, Asif, Butt can resume cricket, why not Kaneria?

Simple question: If Amir, Asif, Butt can resume cricket, why not Kaneria?

Just because Amir, Asif and Butt fixed a game, should that give any leeway to any other Pak cricketer in the future if he was to do the same thing? Absolutely not.

Yep. Take it on the chin, work to make it right, and you will be forgiven and let back into the fold.

Lie, and lie, and lie, and you won't be.

Last edited:

He's anything but a vulnerable individual, naive at the time maybe, not vulnerable.

Kaneria has been treated unjustly, it's quite shocking really....

The only way I think he may have been treated unjustly is the PCB ban.

I don't understand how one employer who has sacked and banned an employee can prevail upon another employer in a different country to do the same.

The only way I think he may have been treated unjustly is the PCB ban.

I don't understand how one employer who has sacked and banned an employee can prevail upon another employer in a different country to do the same.

I believe it's part of an icc ruling that a full ban by any cricketing board must be upheld by the other cricketing boards.

Suffolk have just announced Westfield will be playing for them in the coming season.

ahmedwaqas92;8430674 2) said:
Kaneria never confessed, the 'conclusive evidence' against him did not make the English law enforcement prosecute him of criminal charges and yet based on that same conclusive evidence he is banned for life by ECB.

Another extremely important aspect regarding this is that the evidence that ECB claims is conclusive, is yet to be made public, Why are they withholding evidence if it makes Kaneria look so overwhelmingly a cheat ??

Because it is not the public's business.

This is a civil matter between employer (ECB) and employee (Kaneria). The employer lost confidence in the employee, sacked him and told him he will no longer be employed by them. Kaneria appealed against this decision twice in successively higher courts and the ECB's decision was upheld, therefore they must have operated within the bounds of UK employment law.

That there is insufficient evidence for the CPS to charge Kaneria with a crime is not relevant. Employment law does not required proof beyond reasonable doubt in order for an employer to revoke a contract.

Because it is not the public's business.

This is a civil matter between employer (ECB) and employee (Kaneria). The employer lost confidence in the employee, sacked him and told him he will no longer be employed by them. Kaneria appealed against this decision twice in successively higher courts and the ECB's decision was upheld, therefore they must have operated within the bounds of UK employment law.

That there is insufficient evidence for the CPS to charge Kaneria with a crime is not relevant. Employment law does not required proof beyond reasonable doubt in order for an employer to revoke a contract.

ok fair enough if this is a civil matter between one specific employer and Kaneria then why has Danish been banned for life in participating in any form of cricket ? Using your logic that if an employee is sacked by any given organization then does it take away the right of that person to get a job in that same industry ???? He might never be employed by the company who sacked him but where does it sound fair and reasonable to never let him work in the same industry again.

Remember you just said that proof isn't required for anyone to get sacked; reasonable doubt is enough. But is it ok to actually never let someone earn a livelihood in his area of expertise because some organization had reasonable doubt over him concerning corrupt practices :facepalm:

He is a fellow countryman for me and hails from the same city so naturally I feel his pain but to be honest just imagine if PCB tries any Englishmen playing in PSL for corruption, refuses to share any information for the tribunal, bans that person for life from all forms of cricket and bases that on testimony of Pakistani players around him; who might or not give bias opinion about the latter - How would you feel ???

I am not saying Kaneria is innocent or guilty, he might have done everything that ECB is saying but here the keyword I am using is 'might' and just on speculation alone you cannot simply take away the livelihood of a person based on reasonable doubt only. All I am saying is that if the evidence is so overwhelming then the evidence should be shared publicly for the sake of transparency - is that too much to ask for ??

I don't know how society is wired in the UK ?? Honestly speaking I've never been there myself but to honest if this is the barometer for justice in England then, on a personal level, I am a little disappointed. We might have our own flaws as a society but taking someone's livelihood on speculation is just down right unfair, specifically in places where I grew up at.

On a side note I will reiterate myself again, I am not being a fixer apologist here but I genuinely believe that no sportsperson or human being for that matter should ever be handed a life ban on cricket. Yes that includes players like Ijaz, Sreesanth etc etc as well.

Nobody is perfcet, everyone makes mistakes at some point in time and I have made too in my life but based on an error of judgement for a periodic time in one's life should not snatch away the livelihood of that person in all days to come. There's a saying in Urdu 'Insaan Ghaltiyon ka Mujasma hota Hay' means 'Humans are the epitome of mistakes' and hence forgiveness and chance of redemption is one of those qualities that makes us the most superior race today on this planet. If you take away the chance of redemption from one's life then it makes us no more better than wildlife animals.

He is a fellow countryman for me and hails from the same city so naturally I feel his pain but to be honest just imagine if PCB tries any Englishmen playing in PSL for corruption, refuses to share any information for the tribunal, bans that person for life from all forms of cricket and bases that on testimony of Pakistani players around him; who might or not give bias opinion about the latter - How would you feel ???

If 6 of his team mates gave statements that he had suggested fixing to them or that another team mate had shown them money and claimed it had come from a friend of the player in question (prior to any investigations) and the player in question had regularly been hanging around with and making phone calls (including in match intervals) to a man heavily linked to illegal sports betting despite warnings from the anti-corruption unit not to I'd feel free confident he'd been rightfully banned, particularly if he then tried to give some pretty far fetched excuses in the hearing itself to explain himself.

Last edited:
ok fair enough if this is a civil matter between one specific employer and Kaneria then why has Danish been banned for life in participating in any form of cricket ?

As someone posted above, the ICC has an agreement that if one national board bans a player, all the others do to.

Looks like Kaneria's beef should be with the ICC, not the ECB.

Not that I believe Kaneria but a few points to address:

Unlike Kaneria, Westfield has admitted his crimes and served his time. Kaneria has never taken responsibility for his despicable behaviour, preying on the most vulnerable of his team-mates.

Yes we should take the word of a convicted felon. Even better. We should take the word of someone who threatened ECB not to testify if he didn't get his ban reduced. This is a man who does not care for the game. He only cares for himself. It is clear to me ECB had no case without Westfield. They had to promise him something or their whole case falls apart. It is very much a biased process when they run the tribunal AND are the prosecuting side, manipulating their own witness.

He really makes me sick. The Crown Prosecution Setvice never charged Kaneria, because they considered his removal from the UK to be better value for money than locking him up. So these insulting claims of injured innocence will never end.

BS. BS. BS.

Better to deport Kaneria? But keep Amir, Asif and Butt in your system? And if Kaneria is supposedly such a repeat offender, then he is a real big fish. They could lock him up for 10+ years for repeated behaviour. That would set a real example, rather than keeping a 18 year old kid in jail for 6 months.

England would pursue a case against anyone it could. It is their system. They already did it with three other gentlemen. They don't just deport people to save them the trouble (and this guy is non-threatening, why not deport those immigrants who are involved in thefts and murders?).

Yes we should take the word of a convicted felon. Even better. We should take the word of someone who threatened ECB not to testify if he didn't get his ban reduced. This is a man who does not care for the game. He only cares for himself. It is clear to me ECB had no case without Westfield. They had to promise him something or their whole case falls apart. It is very much a biased process when they run the tribunal AND are the prosecuting side, manipulating their own witness.

You seem to be missing the fact they also took the statements of 6 other respectable players and the discrepancies in Kanerias statement over his contact with Annu Bhatt.

At the end of the day, seems there is no concrete evidence of Kaneria's crime other than statements of his team mates.

I believe he has been hard done by.

You seem to be missing the fact they also took the statements of 6 other respectable players and the discrepancies in Kanerias statement over his contact with Annu Bhatt.

That is what they say, they haven't disclosed the evidence. Who knows if said statements were discredited?

Also, odd, 6 statements. That is pretty conclusive. I agree. Except the police did not pursue a case....if evidence was so strong.

That is what they say, they haven't disclosed the evidence. Who knows if said statements were discredited?

Also, odd, 6 statements. That is pretty conclusive. I agree. Except the police did not pursue a case....if evidence was so strong.

Just to summaries them all as some are more damning than others :

3 of the statements were in line (Masters, Pettini who was then captain and Foster) with each other about Kaneria suggesting to all 3 of them on the team coach that they could make more money fixing the remaining group games as they were already out of the competition and claiming he could call his contact now.

1 was from Chopra who claimed to recieve a phonecall from Kaneria suggesting he could 'make easy money without losing the game'.

1 was from Palladino who was shwon the £6k by Westfield who told him it was through a friend of Kanerias prior to any sort of investigation.

Another was from Chris Wright who had been told by Palladino (not in the presence of Westfield) that he had seen the £6k and that Westfield had told him it was through a friend of Kanerias.

Then you've got all the Annu Bhatt stuff which all gets a bit more complicated with continuing phone-calls between the 2 sometimes even in televised match intervals.

A few thoughts to help you understand.

That a man is a convicted felon does not make his word any less credible.

If it was just Westfield's word against Kaneria's then the latter would still be playing County cricket. There must have been more evidence of wrongdoing for the ECB to sack Kaneria, else they would not risk being taken to Tribunal and perhaps also sued.

The ECB had no "case". They made a decision to sack an employee. That decision was challenged by Kaneria in the High Court, which rejected his appeal on the grounds that the ECB had acted lawfully, then challenged again by Kaneria in the Court of Appeal, which also rejected his appeal.

England would pursue a case against anyone it could. It is their system. They already did it with three other gentlemen. They don't just deport people to save them the trouble (and this guy is non-threatening, why not deport those immigrants who are involved in thefts and murders?).

What do you mean by England in this sense?

If you mean the Crown Prosecution Service, they often deport people rather than going to trial. Often they feel that the British public's good is better served by deporting someone than by risking losing a court case and then spending money jailing him.

How can the police pursue a case with no evidence apart from testimonies.

With the trio, you had a cash papertrail, along with taped conversations which could prove the intent to defraud the public.

The act of fixing in itself not itself illegal. You cant put people in jail for it. Its against the laws of a cricket game, and the governing board can take action, which it did.

Why should someone who lead a youth player into fixing and refuses to admit his guilt get the same sentence as the youth player who was lead into the fixing and admitted his guilt and has put his time into being part of a large anti-corruption scheme?

Because the only evidence against Kaneria is Mervyn's statement, which is just a word of mouth. Under the laws, you cannot ban someone for life over mere statement.

Assume for a second he's innocent (just a friend of bookie or whatever, not directly involved), why should he accept the guilt? He has all the right to fight for his case, he went to the last resort to get his ban reversed, but ECB made him scapegoat for their own player who accepted he was directly involved on several occasions.

The irony is Mervyn is resuming playing, but Kaneria has been banned till death! Can't see how the system is fair

Because the only evidence against Kaneria is Mervyn's statement, which is just a word of mouth. Under the laws, you cannot ban someone for life over mere statement.

Assume for a second he's innocent (just a friend of bookie or whatever, not directly involved), why should he accept the guilt? He has all the right to fight for his case, he went to the last resort to get his ban reversed, but ECB made him scapegoat for their own player who accepted he was directly involved on several occasions.

The irony is Mervyn is resuming playing, but Kaneria has been banned till death! Can't see how the system is fair

Assume for a second he's innocent. That's one heck of a large conspiracy racking up consisting of 6 players (7 with Westfield) and Kaneria just happens to be good friends with someone the ECB anti corruption unit warned against socialising with alongside that.

Last edited:
[MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION] [MENTION=23122]abc_to_xyz[/MENTION] [MENTION=138428]Adnan Siddiqui[/MENTION] [MENTION=131688]Asadullah[/MENTION] [MENTION=136079]ahmedwaqas92[/MENTION] [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] [MENTION=135332]ExplicitAI[/MENTION] [MENTION=131867]London_Lahori[/MENTION]

search for "One On One , Special Show on Pakistan Cricket After 1992"

on google and you will find rashid latif's comments on his case

he made some good points, he mentioned an indian photographer involved in the case who denied to talk about kaneria straightaway. Watch from 35 minutes onwards

Karachi: The Sindh High Court has called for banned leg-spinner Danish Kaneria's bank statement in connection with fines imposed on him on spot-fixing charges.

The SHC's decision to ask for the bank account details of Kaneria came after a petition filed by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for recovery of costs of the spot-fixing trial between 2012-2014.

The ECB is seeking attachment of the 35-year-old's property valuations to recover the 249,000 pound fine imposed on him.

The SHC bench, headed by Justice Muhammad Junaid Ghaffar, directed the Habib Bank Limited branch to give details of Kaneria's accounts at the next hearing.

The ECB filed a petition in the SHC last August through a local lawyer, seeking recovery of costs and fines against the leg-spinner who is serving the life ban since 2012.

The disciplinary and anti-corruption tribunal of the ECB imposed the life ban on Kaneria in June, 2012 after finding him guilty of attempting to spot fix matches of the Essex county team in 2009.The panel had also imposed a fine of 100,000 pounds on Kaneria, who subsequently lost two appeals against the life ban and fine.

"I don't know what they want now. I am already financially in a bad state and have spent all my hard earned money on the legal costs for fighting this case to clear my name," Kaneria said.
http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cri...-pakistan-spinner-danish-kaneria_1870250.html

Spot fixer of international match is hero now days but poor kaneria. SHC has no right to take up such cases

Danish Kaneria seeks PM Nawaz Sharif's help [Update Post#47]

Leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has requested Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to intervene against what he calls an “unjust life ban” on him by the English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

The ban on the spinner came after charges of spot-fixing during England’s domestic Pro40 match in 2009.

According to Kaneria’s earlier statements, his involvement is yet to be proven in a court of law, but the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have maintained their life ban on him. He was accused for “prompting” Essex teammate Mervyn Westfield into spot-fixing.

In a letter to the Federal Minister for Human Rights Zahid Hamid, Kaneria called for Sharif’s help to remove the ban.
The leggie wrote: “I urge you to please help me in requesting the Prime Minister who is the Patron of PCB to review my case.”

“The ECB has banned me from playing cricket in England based on the mere false statements of the convicted English Country cricketer, Mervyn Westfield,” the 35-year old stated.

The Karachi-born cricketer mentioned the names of the tainted trio which was convicted in the famous spot-fixing saga during Pakistan’s tour to England in 2010.

“All convicted cricketers (Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir) are slowly and steadily allowed to play domestic and international cricket, even the ECB has allowed Mervyn Westfield to play professional cricket in (the) UK,” mentioned the leggie.

Kaneria, who donned the Pakistan colours in 61 Tests and 18 One Day Internationals, said the integrity and honesty have been an integral part of his cricketing career.

“I have played for Pakistan and English County Cricket with all honesty and integrity and I have never indulged in any spot-fixing or match-fixing throughout my career,” he added.

The unorthodox leg-break bowler last played for Pakistan back in 2010 against England at Nottingham.

Source : http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/04/05/sports/banned-kaneria-seeks-pm-sharifs-help/

A'int gonna happen. From what I have heard, so many people are involved in this case and I am not talking about pakistan, some powerful people from other countries (you can guess them) are involved in it. I want him to play again and be exonerated....i want everyone involved in this case to be shamed...................but thats a very hard ask

Another wasted talent. Severely underrated Pak spinner, and definitely a class above chucker Ajmal.

Weird how a chucker is talked about more than a legitimate and a once world class leggie like Kaneria.

Yes ofc, being a chucker is better than fixing, but not by much because you are cheating the audience either way.

I bet if he was 18 or 19 years old PCB, Nawaz, Pak Army, etc etc would be all over his case :amir

Another wasted talent. Severely underrated Pak spinner, and definitely a class above chucker Ajmal.

Weird how a chucker is talked about more than a legitimate and a once world class leggie like Kaneria.

Yes ofc, being a chucker is better than fixing, but not by much because you are cheating the audience either way.

I bet if he was 18 or 19 years old PCB, Nawaz, Pak Army, etc etc would be all over his case :amir

its not his age, its people who are involved in his case. They belong to other countries and they have influence. I posted a video here on pp but they removed it so I cannot say much about it. Feel very bad for him.

Perhaps Mian sahab can give him a job in one of his offshore companies...

its not his age, its people who are involved in his case. They belong to other countries and they have influence. I posted a video here on pp but they removed it so I cannot say much about it. Feel very bad for him.

me too, the fact that he went onto BCCI's door and begged for a way out is very sad.

Fixer or what, he served Pak cricket, IF he did it and has done rehabilitation, why can't PCB give him a minor posting to at least have end's meet when they can give vultures and leeches like Md Akram, Shakil, Sethi, Inti, and all these others millions of rupees.

me too, the fact that he went onto BCCI's door and begged for a way out is very sad.

Fixer or what, he served Pak cricket, IF he did it and has done rehabilitation, why can't PCB give him a minor posting to at least have end's meet when they can give vultures and leeches like Md Akram, Shakil, Sethi, Inti, and all these others millions of rupees.

all right i am gonna say it

icc's behaviour was very fishy, an indian photographer who worked for icc was involved in it. Ecb is involved in it. When rashid latif started investigating into kaneriaz case. He first got a threatened reply from icc then when he showed some serious proofs to them....icc never replied again

pcb offered him a position at some place

Last edited by a moderator:
all right i am gonna say it

icc's behaviour was very fishy, an indian photographer who worked for icc was involved in it. Ecb is involved in it. When rashid latif started investigating into kaneriaz case. He first got a threatened reply from icc then when he showed some serious proofs to them....icc never replied again

pcb offered him a position at some place

How do you know all this?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know all this?

It was in an exclusive interview that Rashid did with Dr. Nauman Niaz on PTV Sports in a program called 'One on One' ....... He made some very damning revelations on the workings of ECB and ICC in the role of Danish's ban and how some people are hell bent in trying to cover up and keep this under the rug....

It was in an exclusive interview that Rashid did with Dr. Nauman Niaz on PTV Sports in a program called 'One on One' ....... He made some very damning revelations on the workings of ECB and ICC in the role of Danish's ban and how some people are hell bent in trying to cover up and keep this under the rug....

He mentioned an indian photographer, whom he knew. He called him and that photographer was saying hey, how is it going, long time no see. As soon as he mentioned kaneriaz case and those photos, that photographer hung up :))) :)))

He mentioned an indian photographer, whom he knew. He called him and that photographer was saying hey, how is it going, long time no see. As soon as he mentioned kaneriaz case and those photos, that photographer hung up :))) :)))

Yeah that was hilarious to hear :))) :))) :)))........ Nauman's face was like :O :O :O :O

Pardon him, make him play one PSL season, let him retire.

PCB should look to do this much for him at least. He's been premier spinner for us for long

Any chance of a brief summary of what is being said for those of us that can't understand?

there were some inconsistencies in that icc report regarding kaneria. So he asked for details from ecb. In reply ecb threatened him. He then made himself clear further he sent ecb a more aggressive reply(but he had some very stroong reasons which ecb could not reject)
After that ecb never replied again.

He said that some pictures were taken that related to kaneria's case. Those pictures were traced to an Indian photographer.
When rashid latif called him, that photographer hung up as soon as he mentioned kaneria.

Better spinner then Yasir Shah. The amount of variations he had was unreal. Unfortunately, he had Kamran Akmal as his wicket-keeper.

It's sad how we have treated Butt, Asif and Aamer differently; and here we are ignoring a player's plea who has given us so many good memories. It is no surprise why Pakistan as a team and as a country is declining.

there were some inconsistencies in that icc report regarding kaneria. So he asked for details from ecb. In reply ecb threatened him. He then made himself clear further he sent ecb a more aggressive reply(but he had some very stroong reasons which ecb could not reject)
After that ecb never replied again.

He said that some pictures were taken that related to kaneria's case. Those pictures were traced to an Indian photographer.
When rashid latif called him, that photographer hung up as soon as he mentioned kaneria.

None of the pictures he alleges were related are referenced in the ECB report. In short he's suggesting a mass conspiracy involving the ECB and multiple Essex player and Kaneria just happened to be regularly hanging out with an extremely dodgy bookmaker who the ECB had warned all players against contacting, on the basis of no proof?

Last edited:
Better spinner then Yasir Shah. The amount of variations he had was unreal. Unfortunately, he had Kamran Akmal as his wicket-keeper.

It's sad how we have treated Butt, Asif and Aamer differently; and here we are ignoring a player's plea who has given us so many good memories. It is no surprise why Pakistan as a team and as a country is declining.

After getting tips from Shane Warne & Abdul Qadir in 2010 Danish Kaneria shortened his bowling runup strides, he also modified his action and became more relaxed during delivery stride.

With this he became more accurate and more deadly.

I remember watching PIA vs HBL final of List A tournament on Geo Super or PTV Sports and 32 years old Kaneria was simply a treat to watch. How would I describe it ?

" Leg Spinner at his very best, at his peak "

He took 7-39.

Remember by than Danish Kaneria had played 11-12 years of domestic cricket but that was the best List A career of his career where he took 20 wickets at an Average of 14 and an Eco of 5.1

I have absolutely No doubt than he was destined to pick 500 test wickets. By the age of 29 years and 8 months he had taken 261 test wickets. He is still 35 years old and has missed 5 years of Test Cricket.

At the age of 29 years and 8 months Shane Warne had played 71 tests and had taken 317 wickets including 14 fivefers and 4 Tenfers.

At the age of 29 years and 8 months Danish Kaneria had played 61 tests and had taken 261 test wickets with 15 fivefers & 2 Tenfers.

Whereas after 61 test matches Shane Warne had taken 283 test wickets with 12 fivefers and 3 tenfers.

Also keep it in mind that Danish Kaneria played most of his cricket where only Shoaib Akhtar (when fit) and Asif & Amir (for 5-10 tests) were at their peak whereas Wasim & Waqar were at their last leg when Danish Begun.

Whereas Shane Warne played most of his test matches when Glen McGrath was at his very best.

I do not know whether Danish Kaneria did spot fixing himself or not. I also do not know whether he was the one who indulged Westfield to do spot fixing or not but after watching PTV Sports program I know one thing that ECB did not come clean on this issue and it looks as if Danish Kaneria was hard done and was severely punished.

Suppose he indulged Westfield into doing this but he did not force him neither he was the captain or coach of his team to force him to do it. So I think if this is proved that maximum 2-3 years ban was enough.

PCB has severely mishandled this case.

And thank you [MENTION=131603]pacesensation[/MENTION] for sharing the program with us. It was fascinating to see 36 - 47 min onwards program. ECB can even drag Rashid Latif into court for this program but I am sure they won't do it. Another thing is that why at the same time Najam Sethi offered him chief selector Job and than said than ECB has reservations in you getting this JOB ?

None of the pictures he alleges were related are referenced in the ECB report. In short he's suggesting a mass conspiracy involving the ECB and multiple Essex player and Kaneria just happened to be regularly hanging out with an extremely dodgy bookmaker who the ECB had warned all players against contacting, on the basis of no proof?

read post 55 again
and ask someone to translate it for you,

then read that transcript

After getting tips from Shane Warne & Abdul Qadir in 2010 Danish Kaneria shortened his bowling runup strides, he also modified his action and became more relaxed during delivery stride.

With this he became more accurate and more deadly.

I remember watching PIA vs HBL final of List A tournament on Geo Super or PTV Sports and 32 years old Kaneria was simply a treat to watch. How would I describe it ?

" Leg Spinner at his very best, at his peak "

He took 7-39.

Remember by than Danish Kaneria had played 11-12 years of domestic cricket but that was the best List A career of his career where he took 20 wickets at an Average of 14 and an Eco of 5.1

I have absolutely No doubt than he was destined to pick 500 test wickets. By the age of 29 years and 8 months he had taken 261 test wickets. He is still 35 years old and has missed 5 years of Test Cricket.

At the age of 29 years and 8 months Shane Warne had played 71 tests and had taken 317 wickets including 14 fivefers and 4 Tenfers.

At the age of 29 years and 8 months Danish Kaneria had played 61 tests and had taken 261 test wickets with 15 fivefers & 2 Tenfers.

Whereas after 61 test matches Shane Warne had taken 283 test wickets with 12 fivefers and 3 tenfers.

Also keep it in mind that Danish Kaneria played most of his cricket where only Shoaib Akhtar (when fit) and Asif & Amir (for 5-10 tests) were at their peak whereas Wasim & Waqar were at their last leg when Danish Begun.

Whereas Shane Warne played most of his test matches when Glen McGrath was at his very best.

I do not know whether Danish Kaneria did spot fixing himself or not. I also do not know whether he was the one who indulged Westfield to do spot fixing or not but after watching PTV Sports program I know one thing that ECB did not come clean on this issue and it looks as if Danish Kaneria was hard done and was severely punished.

Suppose he indulged Westfield into doing this but he did not force him neither he was the captain or coach of his team to force him to do it. So I think if this is proved that maximum 2-3 years ban was enough.

PCB has severely mishandled this case.

And thank you [MENTION=131603]pacesensation[/MENTION] for sharing the program with us. It was fascinating to see 36 - 47 min onwards program. ECB can even drag Rashid Latif into court for this program but I am sure they won't do it. Another thing is that why at the same time Najam Sethi offered him chief selector Job and than said than ECB has reservations in you getting this JOB ?

Well i dont think it was a coincidence that he got a job offer.

Well if they could have dragged rashid latif to court then they would already have done that.

Karachi: Pakistan's cricket authorities have finally shown some sympathy for banned Test leg-spinner, Danish Kaneria and offered to help him find a well-paying permanent employment in a cricket playing department.

According to well-informed sources in the Pakistan board, the offer was made when a Hindu member of parliament, Ramesh Kumar Vankwani, who belongs to the ruling PML-N, raised the issue of the life ban imposed on Kaneria by the England and Wales Cricket Board and the PCB doing nothing to support him.

The MNA and other members of a National Assembly standing committee on inter-provincial coordination which met recently to discuss cricket matters took the PCB to task for its treatment of Kaneria, who played 61 Tests for Pakistan before he was banned for life by the ECB four years ago after a hearing in England.

"Yes the MNA and others did raise an issue with the fact that Kaneria who had served Pakistan cricket for so long was without any job because of the ban imposed on him and was finding it difficult to make ends meet," one source said.

He said the PCB had then assured the MNA it would help Kaneria and find him a well paying employment in a department so that he could earn a livelihood and not face financial hardships.

"But the MNA insisted that the PCB should give him a cricket related job and this is not possible since the life ban on him by the ECB means he can't have anything to do with cricket after being found guilty of corruption," the source said.
Kaneria is not allowed to take part in any cricket activity in Pakistan.

"The MNA insisted that the PCB should allow some relaxation to Kaneria and atleast allow him to resume playing domestic and league cricket. But we explained to him the ban was imposed on him by the ECB not us and as members of the ICC we are bound to also enforce the decision of the ECB. We also explained to him that Kaneria had tried the options of appeal available him," the source said

Kaneria, who took 261 wickets with his leg-spin, was banned in June, 2012 for corruption while playing for Essex in the English county championship.

The ECB has presently filed cases in courts in London and Karachi to get Kaneria to pay the costs the ECB had to bear on the disciplinary and appeal hearings pertaining to his case.

Another well-informed source told PTI that Kaneria was now also looking to reach a compromise to get the life ban imposed on him reduced and was ready to talk to the PCB and ECB to reach a solution.

"But the issue now is that the ECB is insisting that Kaneria first pay the costs of the hearings which is quite hefty in Pakistan currency and the leg-spinner says he is struggling financially."

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/pcb...ffer-to-find-him-well-paying-job-3110892.html

Well done PCB.

Most underrated and under-appreciated cricketer in Pakistan history.

He was a brilliant bowler who was run into the ground because of the Inzi-Woolmer policy of playing one specialist spinner so that they could fit in spin-bowling all-rounders like Afridi and Malik who were not Test material to begin with. In addition, Kamran played no small role in ruining his career.

A better Test spinner than Saeed Ajmal certainly. He has won us many matches in the 2000s in spite of all the odds stacked against him.

He would have fared much better in the Misbah era if he would have been born a generation later.

Back