S Africa vs W Indies | 3rd Test | Durban | 10/01/2007 to 14/01/2007

:))) lolz west indies is back and back in style ;-) , man west indies shud be tagged minnows , theyre like eny other minnow , they will pull off a win once in a while , but then get smashed , this scorecard amuses me :)))

That´s sad :22: .

S.a 220 for 1...smith 120 from 110 balls...

It was a tough day condition wise for them...it was impossible to bat first session then got easier when the sun came out....

Here is a list of Test matches in which the side batting second on the first day scored at least 200 runs.

Code:
340-3  SAf v Zim (54)   Cape Town    2004-05
286-8  Eng v Aus (53)   Lord's       1896
269-3  Eng v BD  (104)  C'-le-Street 2005
246-1  SL  v BD  (90)   Colombo(SSC) 2000-01
234-3  WI  v NZ  (74)   Dunedin      1955-56
227-3  SL  v BD  (89)   Colombo(SSC) 2007
219-2  Pak v BD  (134)  Multan       2001-02
213-1  SAf v WI  (139)  Durban       2007-08
200-3  Eng v Aus (118)  Birmingham   1997

Here is a list of Test matches in which a player batting second on the first day scored 90 or more runs. The batsman's final score (when 'not out' on the first day) and the end of the first day's play scores are in the parentheses.
Code:
151  Trescothick    Eng (259-3) v BD  (104) Chester-le-Street 2005
123* Weekes (123)   WI  (234-3) v NZ  (74)  Dunedin           1955-56
122* GC Smith       SAf (213-1) v WI  (139) Durban            2007-08
121  GC Smith       SAf (340-3) v Zim (54)  Cape Town         2004-05
118* Hammond (167)  Eng (173-2) v Ind (203) Manchester        1936
108  Fingleton      Aus (185-3) v SAf (157) Johannesburg(4)   1935-36
101  Saeed Anwar    Pak (219-2) v BD  (134) Multan            2001-02
 99* Atapattu (201) SL  (246-1) v BD  (90)  Colombo(SSC)      2001-02
 98  AB de Villiers SAf (340-3) v Zim (54)  Cape Town         2004-05
 95* G Gambhir (97) Ind (195-1) v Zim (161) Harare            2005-06
 94  R Abel         Eng (286-8) v Aus (53)  Lord's            1896
 92* Bradman (152)  Aus (197-1) v WI  (99)  Melbourne         1930-31

They must be ******** off about Bucknor being dropped :p

What a day for the home team. Windies already out of this test match and the series and normality resumes in Windies cricket.

S.A will once again come back from 1-0 down in a series to win it 2-1!

Gayle not being there was key. Bravo is a poor leader, not enough experience.

Zeenix said:
We don't want to loose you again saffer..
Yeah, Saffer is a legend. He really supports his team through thick and thin and also enjoys his safaris. :19:

Anyway, back to the game. SAF look at good at the moment at 361/3 with Kallis on 65* and Prince 43*. Leading by 222.

I wouldn't mind seeing the SA batsmen get some batting practise. It is only basically just past lunch on day 2. Good psychological advantage to get some time in.

Would love to know what their strategy is. Declare after tea with a lead of 350 or so and get some overs in.

I don't want to see this game over in 3 days!

Prince and De villiers get hundreds and W.I get thru a short session unscathed!

game should be over tomorrow with S.A winning by an inns and winning the series!

JustAnotherFan said:
Better not be as I'm watching a movie before lunch! :)) Was hoping to get some cricket in on the weekend.

Tut tut tut!! These South African's huh!! Always ruin the game, thrashing teams like there’s no tomorrow! Scoring centuries at will! Winning inside 5 days like its nothing!! They should be banned i tells ya, ruining the game with all their 100s and wins! :12:

:D :p ;-)

Windies making a better fist of it in the second innings. Currently 146 for 3 but only a matter of time I'm afraid before anither crushing defeat.

Saj said:
Windies making a better fist of it in the second innings. Currently 146 for 3 but only a matter of time I'm afraid before anither crushing defeat.
It's such a flat pitch that Marlon and Dwayne should really take this opportunity to inflate their scores and averages. Both should get 100's and big ones too. It's a shame that Shiv has a fever, as he would bat a very long time on this pitch.

Sheikh said:
It's such a flat pitch that Marlon and Dwayne should really take this opportunity to inflate their scores and averages. Both should get 100's and big ones too. It's a shame that Shiv has a fever, as he would bat a very long time on this pitch.
Very true Sheikh, but it seems that quite a few of the Windies batsmen have the ability to self explode and play rash shots, as per Ganga and the other opener today.

Saj said:
Very true Sheikh, but it seems that quite a few of the Windies batsmen have the ability to self explode and play rash shots, as per Ganga and the other opener today.
And very true from you too Saj! Ganga tends to lose his patience after doing all the hard work. Parchment is new to the scene and probably not good enough at the moment. Morton is simply an average batsman and shouldn't be batting at 3 for any team in the world.

Samuels has shown some resilience this series and definitely has the ability to go and make a big score. It's his occasional mind-freezes and penchant for playing too many big shots that have been his downfall. If he manages to control himself, he could make a big one.

The same is true for Bravo. He's a very talented batsman and has all the shots in the book. I could see him just stroking his way to a 100.

Morton is simply an average batsman and shouldn't be batting at 3 for any team in the world.
It was interesting to hear what Boycott had to say about Morton. He was basically saying that he's anice lad but he's proved he's not good enough with an average of 20 or so after 13 tests.

Jackass is starting to sound morose. That's the sign of South Africa losing a slight grip of things.

Congratulations West Indies! That's the 1st session that they've won in the entire game!

The next session is absolutely vital. 15 overs to go until the new ball and about 20 overs more after that. If these two can negotiate the 15 overs until the new ball, there will be a lot of responsibility on them to handle the new ball without getting out. If they can manage to do that, and bat out the entire session, then that would give Shiv a chance of recovering overnight and batting at 6. Long way to go yet, but the Windies should take some heart from that session.

And there goes Bravo and in all likelihood the chances of the Windies saving the game. Pity.

W.I 273/4 @ Moment

Samuels 5 runs short of his 2nd hundred of the series and Ramdins on 25*

Ramdin fishes at a wide one and goes.

West indies 6 down now...

If this was youtube i would say samuels pwned. Steyn had a few words with him and next ball bowled!!!

SA win by innings and 100 runs. Not too shabby. 5th consecutive series win. :)

I hope Polly gets 1 last MOM.

Dale steyn has been again impressive and seems to be improving as a bowler.

Intresting to see how he bowls against aussies when S.A go to australia again!

Dunno how Ashwell Prince got MOM. Lol. Lowest strike rate of the 3 SA centurians.

MOS was Steyn. If Shiv Chanderpaul had batted in 2nd innings, then he should have got this IMO.

Steyn is just doing things with the ball we havent seem since Akram ....swinging it a mile at pace....s.a is not even a place known for getting swing ....

If he can keep doing it , with the help of Ntini , Morkel , Kallis , Harris and Nel south africa really have an honestly good chance of beating australia...

Another 5 wicket haul for steyn, best fast bowler in cricket by a mile

I think he know has the all time best strike rate ....given he has not played many tests , but he's young and improving.....

saffer said:
I think he know has the all time best strike rate ....given he has not played many tests , but he's young and improving.....
Steyn is good, but we need to see how much more Morkel can do. I'm not a fan of Nel (he is over-rated) and unfortunately Ntini has had his best.

I also want to see Monde Zondeki given another chance (he is having a good season at provincial and did well at SA-A).

saffer said:
Steyn is just doing things with the ball we havent seem since Akram ....swinging it a mile at pace....s.a is not even a place known for getting swing ....

If he can keep doing it , with the help of Ntini , Morkel , Kallis , Harris and Nel south africa really have an honestly good chance of beating australia...
The bowling is fine. I would worry about the batting, specifically the top 3.

Top 3 ?

Gibbs , Smith and Amla ?

Smith hitting form , Amla coming into his own ...recently he really has started to make runs and is a brilliant talent as his performances on the local scene prove.....and Gibbs.....well....Gibbs will be Gibbs ...brilliant on his day ....

JAF ...I agree ...zondeki has been bowling great and pretty quick by all accounts....I also don't think Nel should be there ....Morkel provides the height with the pace.....or i'd rather have (take your pic) Zondekie or Langevelt ...Nel keeps chipping in with wickets though , so hard to drop him...

I have a feeling we might see zondeki bowling in the ODI's ...I hope so....got to let the talented guys know they are thinking about them ,,,

SA drops to 4th place in tests. India goes to number two, but will probably slide to 3 or 4 after the current Aus series depending on whitewash

SA drops to 4th place in tests. India goes to number two, but will probably slide to 3 or 4 after the current Aus series depending on whitewash

wow !! you are right !!

Madness in my opinion...S.a are obviously the number 2 team in the world right now....sri lanka could not compete in S.A...and S.a would surely compete in sri lanka....

Dale steyn to number 2 bowler though...well deserved....

team loses more points when losing a test or maybe even drawing a test (not sure how they factor rain in here) to a very low ranking team compared to the points they get for a whitewash. Actually I have seen prediction of series at old ICC website that a whitewash against Bangladesh by a #1-2 teams will maybe give them 1 point but lose a test and they will lose more points than earned

west indies have been demolished , man they are such an unpredictable side , its a shame they dont have eny match winners

something about this steyn guy bodes well for those who worship high quality quick bowing.

91 wickets in 18 tests only - now when was the last time you saw such a start from a young pacer? (waqar i remember had 102 from his first 20)

40 wickets in 5 tests this SAF season. even if he picks half as many on saf's next oz tour, we'll be in in for a good series.

tired of seeing india - can someone remove these pretenders and bring on the real oz challengers? :>

Dale Steyn is a very good bowler indeed! Can anyone tell me what his pace is please? Can he get over 150 kph consistenly?

mmkextreme_1 said:
Dale Steyn is a very good bowler indeed! Can anyone tell me what his pace is please? Can he get over 150 kph consistenly?

not really. may be never.

but he can take 5fers consistently, if that counts for anything.

already has 8 of them, in his 18 test career.
including 2 or 3 on Asian wickets - lest we hear the cries of "oh wait till he plays in the subcontinent".

to put it into context, lee has 8 5fers in 63 tests.

all u pace freaks out there, pray that dale can stay injury-free.

Absolutely LOVE to watch Steyn bowl! A year or so ago Asif was tagged as by far the best young fast bowler but now i think the title must be passed to Steyn.

Consistently no....but I've seen him bowl entire spells with his pace around and over 150 . Normally he's middle to high 140's (except the second test when injured) .....

The main thing is the swing...he gets amazing ammounts of swing for south african conditions. I can't wait to see how that's going go in England .

year or so ago Asif was tagged as by far the best young fast bowler but now i think the title must be passed to Steyn.

I still rate asif...the scandal came at just the wrong time and took away his momentum..

Back