Should Misbah-ul-Haq be held accountable for Pakistan's defeat in the home Test series against Bangladesh?

shaz619

ODI Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Misbah-ul-Haq, masterminded Pakistan's woes in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 by requesting Fakhar Zaman to bat at no. 4.

During his tenure as coach, he promoted Rizwan to no. 1, inflating his ego. His behind-the-scenes influence is shocking, and it's fair to say his 'consultancy' has damaged the team's harmony.

Many of you are better detectives than I am, and I'm sure you'll uncover the full extent of his transgressions.

But why is he allowed to interfere in team matters? What is his role? Does he have an unofficial position within the PCB setup? If he doesn't have a formal role, why does the PCB permit him to constantly disrupt the team?

I believe he should also be held accountable for the defeat in the Bangladesh series and needs to be held responsible for his detrimental impact on Pakistan cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan went into the BD series on the back of disruption caused by Misbah prior the WT20, he needs to be taken in for questioning and/or sued by the relevant legal parties. If he is getting away with this repeatedly then I just think he has an unofficial role behind the scenes and just simply allowed to do what he does best; ruin Pakistan cricket.

Pakistan went into the BD series on the back of disruption caused by Misbah prior the WT20, he needs to be taken in for questioning and/or sued by the relevant legal parties. If he is getting away with this repeatedly then I just think he has an unofficial role behind the scenes and just simply allowed to do what he does best; ruin Pakistan cricket.
I agree, you should lead the way and get a lawyer to file a petition on your behalf in the Lahore Highcourt.

Yessssssss! And his fans!

I agree, you should lead the way and get a lawyer to file a petition on your behalf in the Lahore Highcourt.

Am just a poor burger kid from Islamabad, all the funds have been depleted on booogers and chippy wraps.

But I think Naqvi is better positioned with his resources

I salute Ramiz Raja once he came Misbah quit on the team 🤣 before Big Tournament! Misbah is the biggest problem for Pakistan cricket! Pcb should investigate Mohali match. I’m sure someone gave him money to do More tuktuk Thn usual

I salute Ramiz Raja once he came Misbah quit on the team 🤣 before Big Tournament! Misbah is the biggest problem for Pakistan cricket! Pcb should investigate Mohali match. I’m sure someone gave him money to do More tuktuk Thn usual

Misbah would never play another game of cricket again in my country if he did a Mohali here, he would be barred from club cricket to. But then there are those who do some insane worship over him, a lot of his achievements are exaggerated beyond belief

Misbah-ul-Haq, masterminded Pakistan's woes in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 by requesting Fakhar Zaman to bat at no. 4.

During his tenure as coach, he promoted Rizwan to no. 1, inflating his ego. His behind-the-scenes influence is shocking, and it's fair to say his 'consultancy' has damaged the team's harmony.

Many of you are better detectives than I am, and I'm sure you'll uncover the full extent of his transgressions.

But why is he allowed to interfere in team matters? What is his role? Does he have an unofficial position within the PCB setup? If he doesn't have a formal role, why does the PCB permit him to constantly disrupt the team?

I believe he should also be held accountable for the defeat in the Bangladesh series and needs to be held responsible for his detrimental impact on Pakistan cricket.
Bro, What's Misbah got to do with Bangladesh test series 🤣🤣.

He didn't appoint Shan masood, nor did he appoint any of the current crop of bowlers or batters lol.

I understand misbah is a polarising figure but he has zero involvement? Also you're blaming Misbah on the one thing he was good in, which was test?

Misbah has done many wrongs but can't be blamed for BD loss, for T20 WC 2024 yep he had role in it.

He didn't appoint Shan masood, nor did he appoint any of the current crop of bowlers or batters lol.

I understand misbah is a polarising figure but he has zero involvement? Also you're blaming Misbah on the one thing he was good in, which was test?

Personally I blame Abdul Hafeez Kardar for this loss to Bangladesh. He didn’t set the foundations right, and he had a long run from 1952 to 1958.

Had he set Pakistan cricket on the right course, when it was so easy to do so, Pakistan would never have lost to BD. But he shirked his duty, and here we are today.

Personally I blame Abdul Hafeez Kardar for this loss to Bangladesh. He didn’t set the foundations right, and he had a long run from 1952 to 1958.

Had he set Pakistan cricket on the right course, when it was so easy to do so, Pakistan would never have lost to BD. But he shirked his duty, and here we are today.

How is an action from 1952-1958 period responsible for today's situation?

He is responsible for the toxicity within the team and Misbah would never have had had the success which he did in Tests without some of the bigger names in his side. In the World T20 Misbah interfered, so it’s a worth querying his general influence on matters despite allegedly not being on the pay roll; it’s like a real bad chain reaction, he doesn’t need to be directly involved, Misbah is a big snake

He is responsible for the toxicity within the team and Misbah would never have had had the success which he did in Tests without some of the bigger names in his side. In the World T20 Misbah interfered, so it’s a worth querying his general influence on matters despite allegedly not being on the pay roll
What did misbah do in 2024 t20 wc?

Didn’t he consult on Fakhar’s position, is it his phew’s cricket team?
He did that way back in 2020 lol, misbah hasn't been around since 2021?

I can understand hating him for decisons he made in hindsight since he's the guy who appointed bobby and babar remained captain for 4 years and he's the one who got chacha in, shoved fakhar aside at 4, got rizwam to open etc etc.

But I still don't understand what Shan Masood's appointment and any decison related to what Shan and Gillespie too have anything to do with Misbah?

Nor do I understand the decisons of taking people like azam khan etc etc have anything to do with Misbah?

Infact for 2023 and 2024 all decisons relates to abrar and Irfam Khan niazi and wasim jnr by Misbah was ignored lol

It is a reach. He is not going to be responsible for the inadequacies of current team. They just didn't lose. They lost comprehensively. Being in certain good position won't make you a better team that just failed. That is part of the Test match. Before the 2nd Test people were worried about Pakistan not having enough time due to rain to bowl BD out twice. Bangladesh had more than enough time to bowl Pakistan twice on the contrary. This cannot be pinned on one individuals that too someone unrelated to this current setu p.

Was never the biggest Misbah fan but lets lay of him. Under his watch we never ever lost a series in the UAE and under his coaching we never lost a home series in Pakistan. He authorized fantastic wickets for the Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and South Africa series at home.

We also beat South Africa in South Africa in the ODI and T-20 series in 2021. The only blemish we had under his reigns was a whitewash in Australia, England.

He kept Babar Azam the captain in check and never compromised on the team's fitness culture. The team's fitness culture went to the dogs once he left.

Misbah would never have allowed Ramiz and Babar to prepare the flat, defensive pitches against Australia, England and New Zealand, nor would he have tolerated Babar's Dosti Yaari for long.

He did that way back in 2020 lol, misbah hasn't been around since 2021?

I can understand hating him for decisons he made in hindsight since he's the guy who appointed bobby and babar remained captain for 4 years and he's the one who got chacha in, shoved fakhar aside at 4, got rizwam to open etc etc.

But I still don't understand what Shan Masood's appointment and any decison related to what Shan and Gillespie too have anything to do with Misbah?

Nor do I understand the decisons of taking people like azam khan etc etc have anything to do with Misbah?

Infact for 2023 and 2024 all decisons relates to abrar and Irfam Khan niazi and wasim jnr by Misbah was ignored lol

The bit highlighted needs to be explored further. The chain effect has been damaging across all formats and therefore, I hold him accountable for disturbing the peace within the team and question his wider influence given how he has interfered with the team.

This was from 2024:

Was never the biggest Misbah fan but lets lay of him. Under his watch we never ever lost a series in the UAE and under his coaching we never lost a home series in Pakistan. He authorized fantastic wickets for the Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and South Africa series at home.

We also beat South Africa in South Africa in the ODI and T-20 series in 2021. The only blemish we had under his reigns was a whitewash in Australia, England.

He kept Babar Azam the captain in check and never compromised on the team's fitness culture. The team's fitness culture went to the dogs once he left.

Misbah would never have allowed Ramiz and Babar to prepare the flat, defensive pitches against Australia, England and New Zealand, nor would he have tolerated Babar's Dosti Yaari for long.

Misbah wouldn’t have enjoyed the same success without Younis Khan, Saeed Ajmal and Sarfraz Ahmed. Besides, this thread is more concerned with his influence behind the scenes.

The bit highlighted needs to be explored further. The chain effect has been damaging across all formats and therefore, I hold him accountable for disturbing the peace within the team and question his wider influence given how he has interfered with the team.

This was from 2024:

Oh ic, I thought he made this statement long ago, no clue he made it in 2024. Misbah really be hammering pakistan's biggest asset into the ground.

Misbah wouldn’t have enjoyed the same success without Younis Khan, Saeed Ajmal and Sarfraz Ahmed. Besides, this thread is more concerned with his influence behind the scenes.

Forgot to add Yasir Shah, underrated bowler

Oh ic, I thought he made this statement long ago, no clue he made it in 2024. Misbah really be hammering pakistan's biggest asset into the ground.

That is what had me worried, I read your post and then had to double check because I was sure he was involving himself with the lads before the World Cup, it’s sad because a lot of them maybe do respect him but I don’t know why or how is allowed to interfere like this and he doesn’t even have an official role as far as we know

I use to be more tolerant towards Misbah in the past, but in the words of Ali, if Shaz619 was the same man he was 5 years ago, he would have wasted 5 years of his life. Now am better, faster and stronger:

Time to expose The Misbah Game.

Brilliant :LOL:

That is what had me worried, I read your post and then had to double check because I was sure he was involving himself with the lads before the World Cup, it’s sad because a lot of them maybe do respect him but I don’t know why or how is allowed to interfere like this and he doesn’t even have an official role as far as we know
Misbah has alot of respect from youngsters.

Genuinely speaking, he isn't as bad as people make him out to be. It's just the problem with Misbah is that he has stubborn views on cricket and supports certain individuals over others.

He was a great onfield captain, and he dis reform our test team, the likes of azhar and asad and sarfi did wonders alongside him and he gave sarfi that comeback in test and he identified yasir shah after ajmal and many bowlers flourished under him.

Ontop of that he commanded alot of respect from the dugout.

But again his issue is he just doesn't understand t20 cricket or odi. Misbah was booted out and forced to retire in 2012 cause he ran the t20 team into a rut, so it was obvious he'd ruin the t20 side during his coaching and cheif selector stint.

His reasoning behind rizwan and babar was because he though fakhar was failing as an opener and rizwan is a good consistent accumulator and that opening position will be safe with both babar and rizwan opening. Which obviously is an extremely backeard approach in cricket because you cannot afford to discard an X factor in t20 for impact as well as fear that they'll lose motivation in other formats.

Similarly he brought shehzad, Umar akmal back had Imam open, brought irfan because for him experience is what was required, he didn't account for form.

As I said he isn't a Bollywood villian that people make him out to be, however his extreme stubborn views and approaches set pakistan back dozens upon dozens of years cause Misbah sadly is living in 1970 and doesn't realise cricket has evolved.

But otherwise personality wise he isn't as bad as babar or Shan, he's a good Muslim and whole his anger is let out at times, he's not the worst personality wise.

My main issue with misbah has always been his stubborn views and that people on this forumn view him as jesus when in reality he was an average cricketer, A great red ball cap but a garbage whoteball cap and a horrificly bad Coach and selector

Misbah and his buzdil attitude is why Pakistan has been 30 years behind the rest of the world and yes consequence of that is that Bangladesh came over and showed us how to play cricket in the current era.

Everything goes back to Misbah

Misbah and his buzdil attitude is why Pakistan has been 30 years behind the rest of the world and yes consequence of that is that Bangladesh came over and showed us how to play cricket in the current era.

Everything goes back to Misbah
This test is Shan's, Babar's, the bowlers and everyone else who didn't performs fault.

I really don't see how this is a misbah problem?

Test was the one format he was a succesful captain and coach in.

But otherwise yes, he set us back by 50 years in whiteball

Misbah has alot of respect from youngsters.

Genuinely speaking, he isn't as bad as people make him out to be. It's just the problem with Misbah is that he has stubborn views on cricket and supports certain individuals over others.

He was a great onfield captain, and he dis reform our test team, the likes of azhar and asad and sarfi did wonders alongside him and he gave sarfi that comeback in test and he identified yasir shah after ajmal and many bowlers flourished under him.

Ontop of that he commanded alot of respect from the dugout.

But again his issue is he just doesn't understand t20 cricket or odi. Misbah was booted out and forced to retire in 2012 cause he ran the t20 team into a rut, so it was obvious he'd ruin the t20 side during his coaching and cheif selector stint.

His reasoning behind rizwan and babar was because he though fakhar was failing as an opener and rizwan is a good consistent accumulator and that opening position will be safe with both babar and rizwan opening. Which obviously is an extremely backeard approach in cricket because you cannot afford to discard an X factor in t20 for impact as well as fear that they'll lose motivation in other formats.

Similarly he brought shehzad, Umar akmal back had Imam open, brought irfan because for him experience is what was required, he didn't account for form.

As I said he isn't a Bollywood villian that people make him out to be, however his extreme stubborn views and approaches set pakistan back dozens upon dozens of years cause Misbah sadly is living in 1970 and doesn't realise cricket has evolved.

But otherwise personality wise he isn't as bad as babar or Shan, he's a good Muslim and whole his anger is let out at times, he's not the worst personality wise.

My main issue with misbah has always been his stubborn views and that people on this forumn view him as jesus when in reality he was an average cricketer, A great red ball cap but a garbage whoteball cap and a horrificly bad Coach and selector

He wouldn’t make a good bolly villain, you need some Charisma for that, he is better suited being this guy:

IMG_2530.jpeg

This test is Shan's, Babar's, the bowlers and everyone else who didn't performs fault.

I really don't see how this is a misbah problem?

Test was the one format he was a succesful captain and coach in.

But otherwise yes, he set us back by 50 years in whiteball
Successful captain at what cost?

Didn’t develop any fast bowlers.

Every batsmen’s default was to play tuk tuk. He was lucky he had an ATG great in the team in Younis who brought normality to the batting and bowlers like Ajmal and then Yasir who could capitalise on spin friendly tracks.

If you don’t develop batsmen who can actually score you won’t have any runs to play with.

The tuk tuk default with an SOS to Younis is not sustainable.

To this day, our batsmen only know how to tuk tuk their lives away. And now when they want to break free of it, they don’t know how to and they collapse to 146 all out.

Successful captain at what cost?

Didn’t develop any fast bowlers.

Every batsmen’s default was to play tuk tuk. He was lucky he had an ATG great in the team in Younis who brought normality to the batting and bowlers like Ajmal and then Yasir who could capitalise on spin friendly tracks.

If you don’t develop batsmen who can actually score you won’t have any runs to play with.

The tuk tuk default with an SOS to Younis is not sustainable.

To this day, our batsmen only know how to tuk tuk their lives away. And now when they want to break free of it, they don’t know how to and they collapse to 146 all out.
He was successful as a test coach with a burnt out azhar as well.

The likes of shafiq and sarfi batting together managed to save a test match and win it when yk, misbah, Azhar and the openers failed.

Azhar has a 200 against australia in their home den in test, He isn't a tuk tuk batter, infact as an opener he was the moat aggressive batter in the bamgaldesh whitewash series and people forget he averaged 40 and 85 sr in the 2 years he returned which is a huge improvement from his 21 Avg and 65SR he use to have in 2012.

Shafiq has also played great knocks and sarfi at no 7 was a game changer.

Unlike whiteball, test is a format that has not changed, England tried to change it for a while but bazzball eventually fell apart and Joe Root remains their best test batter.

The issue is that Misbah still lives in the 1970's which is why he ram the t20 team into a rut in 2012 and then into a rut in 2020, same with odi.

He adopts the classic Imran Khan philosophy of playing accumulators at the top aka shehzad, Jamshed/Imran farhat, asad shafiq and hitters at the bottom aka unar akmal and afridi.

It's also the same reason he decided to make rizzu opener and fakhar in the lower order because the concept of aggression at the top is an alien concept to him.

He failed in whiteball because by 1996 gilchrist and classic Australia shut the door on the 1992 approach but misbah is still stuck in it.

He never realised that in an era where the likes of Butler is now opening, The classic mantra of 5 accumulators and 2 finishers was never going to work.

To top it off, he also can't distinguish what an actual finisher even is, Since he tought umar Amin and Chacha were finishers.

This almost brought a tear to my eye.

standing side by side with Misbah… what a storyline.

System not producing talent is not any individual's fault.
Lol, you realise that logically that is not possible? Their has to be something wrong with the system?

Sure not every Tom, dick and Harry will end up being succesful but

A) Why does America has 3x the no of billionaires and millionaires and succesful people be it music stars etc etc despite India literally having 1B more people?

B) Why does Australia have such a powerful cricket culture despite it having only 25M people?

C) Why does China have the world's largest manufacturing companies and have the most no of mechanical Enginners then any other country in the world despite having less numbers then India?

D) Why does Japan have the most number of artists despite being lesser then usa and USA having been in the art game longer?

E) Why does pakistan have such a crumbling economy despite being the 4th most populated country in the world despite its fellows usa, India and china all being ranked 1, 2 and 5?

theirs a reason why no brock lesnars, or Taylor swifts or Bill gates are produced in pakistan.

Clearly something is wrong with the system lol.

You're telling me Pakistan has a perfect system yet the players are broken? Kis dunya mei rahei rahe ho.

Lol, you realise that logically that is not possible? Their has to be something wrong with the system?

Sure not every Tom, dick and Harry will end up being succesful but

A) Why does America has 3x the no of billionaires and millionaires and succesful people be it music stars etc etc despite India literally having 1B more people?

B) Why does Australia have such a powerful cricket culture despite it having only 25M people?

C) Why does China have the world's largest manufacturing companies and have the most no of mechanical Enginners then any other country in the world despite having less numbers then India?

D) Why does Japan have the most number of artists despite being lesser then usa and USA having been in the art game longer?

E) Why does pakistan have such a crumbling economy despite being the 4th most populated country in the world despite its fellows usa, India and china all being ranked 1, 2 and 5?

theirs a reason why no brock lesnars, or Taylor swifts or Bill gates are produced in pakistan.

Clearly something is wrong with the system lol.

You're telling me Pakistan has a perfect system yet the players are broken? Kis dunya mei rahei rahe ho.
I have no idea what your response has to do with what I posted bro .

I meant you can't blame it on any single individual .

Misbah is not responsible for Pakistan's cricketing decline.

Stagnation has been an issue since the 90's even.

PAK are simply not able to paper over the cracks anymore.

he has a big fan club here who are deceived by his 'honesty' hes always 'legally' honest but he is reality one of the most dishonest players to ever. Getting a 3 year contract for a 'mentor' role for a 50 over domestic team. People criticizing Shan MAsood (justifiably) but atleast he put up a better show against Australia in his first series in an unstable environment. Misbah had freedom to make his team and also had job security and people forget the manner in which we lost 6 tests in Australia under him. And dont forget we lost to Zimbabwe as well under him

I have no idea what your response has to do with what I posted bro .

I meant you can't blame it on any single individual .

Misbah is not responsible for Pakistan's cricketing decline.

Stagnation has been an issue since the 90's even.

PAK are simply not able to paper over the cracks anymore.
That's fair

Because he wants his own Dosti Yaari boys from SNGPL to have prevalence?

The SNGPL whining, basically, Misbah had influnece at SNGPL that any player that Misbah thought was good in Pakistan, he would get SNGPL to sign that player.

SNGPL, along with HBL pre 2014 were high paying departments. They had money to pay high salaries and relied on senior players to take hold of the departments. So for example, if Abbas performed well for KRL, Misbah would offer Mohammad Abbas a better contract to play for SNGPL.

Misbah's besties were Malik, Saeed Ajmal, Taufiq Umar, Hafeez, Imran Khalid, Samiullah Niazi and Kamran for sometime. But he dint play those guys just for the sake of it.

Take it this way. Misbah really liked Imran Khalid, he thought he was a very talented Left arm spinner and could do well if played regularly. Misbah used to practice playing spin by batting against Imran Khalid at Faisalabad and SNGPL. Meanwhile, Babar Azam was best mates with Usman Qadir. Guess who ended up playing for Pakistan.

Point is, its easy to throw in words like dostiyari, sngpl, but do look into these things abit deep.

praising Misbah just shows how far PCT has fallen.

Even Mohali Misbah doesn't look bad now compared to where the team is at right now .

Even Mohali Misbah doesn't look bad now compared to where the team is at right now .
No, Mohali Misbah is Mohali Misbah.

But I can understand why Misbah is being viewed in a positive light now.

Test Situation is so bad, Misbah took it to no 1. So makes sense.

Not like misbah will do anything though, the problem is damaged all the way till grassroot level

Misbah's Mohali legacy still exists and cannot be forgiven. He was the primary culprit that day alongside many other winnable games for Pakistan which he lost single handedly. He was overall a very selfish player especially in the limited overs format and his style of play hurt us very badly. He also preferred slow grinding accumulators like Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq vs attacking batters like Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood.

However these are arguments for another day. His test captaincy in the UAE and his coaching in Pakistani conditions and his management of the spinners, understanding of the pitches and conditions and knowledge of the bowling attack needed to succeed cannot be questioned. His fitness regime and fitness discipline also cannot be questioned. Under his coaching regime, i cannot recall a single Pakistani player who had a paunch, belly and was unfit.

Babar Azam and the rest of the boys once he left the teams reign went on a feasting thattay parties, within a few months we started seeing Pakistani players with paunches, being slow in the outfield and slow reflexes. PCB is very much justified in reviewing the central contracts, pays of the players especially in light of the massive decline in the domestic and international broadcast deals the PCB is getting from 2024 to 2026 where the PCB is hosting some very good teams at home, the players pay's need to be adjusted downwards and should be linked with the team's results i.e. if the team loses the players get docked as well.

He was successful as a test coach with a burnt out azhar as well.

The likes of shafiq and sarfi batting together managed to save a test match and win it when yk, misbah, Azhar and the openers failed.

Azhar has a 200 against australia in their home den in test, He isn't a tuk tuk batter, infact as an opener he was the moat aggressive batter in the bamgaldesh whitewash series and people forget he averaged 40 and 85 sr in the 2 years he returned which is a huge improvement from his 21 Avg and 65SR he use to have in 2012.

Shafiq has also played great knocks and sarfi at no 7 was a game changer.

Unlike whiteball, test is a format that has not changed, England tried to change it for a while but bazzball eventually fell apart and Joe Root remains their best test batter.

The issue is that Misbah still lives in the 1970's which is why he ram the t20 team into a rut in 2012 and then into a rut in 2020, same with odi.

He adopts the classic Imran Khan philosophy of playing accumulators at the top aka shehzad, Jamshed/Imran farhat, asad shafiq and hitters at the bottom aka unar akmal and afridi.

It's also the same reason he decided to make rizzu opener and fakhar in the lower order because the concept of aggression at the top is an alien concept to him.

He failed in whiteball because by 1996 gilchrist and classic Australia shut the door on the 1992 approach but misbah is still stuck in it.

He never realised that in an era where the likes of Butler is now opening, The classic mantra of 5 accumulators and 2 finishers was never going to work.

To top it off, he also can't distinguish what an actual finisher even is, Since he tought umar Amin and Chacha were finishers.
He was not a succesful test coach. The disastrous tours of NZ and Australia. The disastrous England tour. Yes, we beat Bangladesh at home, but that’s expected. Just because the current team lost to them, it doesn’t mean that the 2020 win was anything to write home about. The best win was the SA series at home ok credit where it’s due. So just one series is enough? More points from his captaincy below:

1. Yes agreed Sarfraz was a game changer - because he played his natural game. Now why did the the game need to be changed? If Misbah’s system was so perfect, why was sarfraz at 7 a game changer? At the beginning, Misbah was running with Adnan Akmal. Sarfi made his test debut in 2009. He could have played from the start of Misbah’s reign.

2. Azhar was tuk tuk extraordinaire, I don’t care what the stats say- they can be bumped up by the odd innings. Not only that, he played the same way if the team was 20-1 or 200-1. Always creating a crisis out of nothing. But you have one point, he did play some good innings. My problem with some of our tuk-tuk-holics is not necessarily the tuktuk, it’s what it results from it. If someone tuks away and keeps scoring centuries ok, I’ll give that, there’s an end product. But azhar although showed glimpses of that, didn’t do it often enough.

2. Asad shafiq was another one who was forced to hold himself back. This is the guy who in his first ODI hit 5 fours in an over. He then integrated in to Tuk Tuk XI. A natural stroke maker, he held himself back a lot resulting in a very unfulfilled career.

3. The test series vs England in 2016 we would have lost 3-1 without Younis’ double century. And this was a common theme. An ATG saved misbah’s captaincy career. But you won’t always have an ATG, so is the strategy sustainable. And believe we have no ATGs in the team now.

I’m sorry, I’m not gonna lota around and revise history because it may seem popular. Misbah was the worst thing that happened to Pakistan cricket and I’m not gonna flip flop about it.

He was not a succesful test coach. The disastrous tours of NZ and Australia. The disastrous England tour. Yes, we beat Bangladesh at home, but that’s expected. Just because the current team lost to them, it doesn’t mean that the 2020 win was anything to write home about. The best win was the SA series at home ok credit where it’s due. So just one series is enough? More points from his captaincy below:

1. Yes agreed Sarfraz was a game changer - because he played his natural game. Now why did the the game need to be changed? If Misbah’s system was so perfect, why was sarfraz at 7 a game changer? At the beginning, Misbah was running with Adnan Akmal. Sarfi made his test debut in 2009. He could have played from the start of Misbah’s reign.

2. Azhar was tuk tuk extraordinaire, I don’t care what the stats say- they can be bumped up by the odd innings. Not only that, he played the same way if the team was 20-1 or 200-1. Always creating a crisis out of nothing. But you have one point, he did play some good innings. My problem with some of our tuk-tuk-holics is not necessarily the tuktuk, it’s what it results from it. If someone tuks away and keeps scoring centuries ok, I’ll give that, there’s an end product. But azhar although showed glimpses of that, didn’t do it often enough.

2. Asad shafiq was another one who was forced to hold himself back. This is the guy who in his first ODI hit 5 fours in an over. He then integrated in to Tuk Tuk XI. A natural stroke maker, he held himself back a lot resulting in a very unfulfilled career.

3. The test series vs England in 2016 we would have lost 3-1 without Younis’ double century. And this was a common theme. An ATG saved misbah’s captaincy career. But you won’t always have an ATG, so is the strategy sustainable. And believe we have no ATGs in the team now.

I’m sorry, I’m not gonna lota around and revise history because it may seem popular. Misbah was the worst thing that happened to Pakistan cricket and I’m not gonna flip flop about it.
I’m sorry, I’m not gonna lota around and revise history.

Brother relax, you already know the type of poster i am, you dont need to worry about agenda based replies with me, we're just having a friendly discussion thats all.

Now for the rest.

The first point I agree with, Sarfi was mostly a forced entry due to adnan's failures. However at the end of the day Sarfi did come at no 7 and was a regular thpughput 2014 to 2016 till misbah's reign. Misbah never kicked him out for rizzu during this time period.

2) Azhar in test wasn't bad brother, in all of Azhar's 19 test centuries, Pakistan won most of their games. They drew very few times and lost only 5x, and most of those losses occurred in the 2017 to 2018 period after misbah era. And he can't be blamed for the Australia loss where he struck 205, he did his part, the rest didn't. Infact his 302 not put against West Indies resulted in a crushing victory for pakistan. Azhar was a genuinely good test player and was only overshadowed by YK? Many test games were due to azhar Ali?

As for odi, he hardly played much odi, moat of his crappy odi knocks were from when Misbah wasn't even around, he only featured under misbah for 2012 India game where he and YK partnership in 2nd odi won it for pakistan.

Then afterwards he became captain when misbah wasn't in odi, his own performances in odi were very very good during this time period, yes he was a garage captain but he willingly stepped down.

If azhar was a crap player as you proclaim, sarfi and mickey wouldn't have requested azhar Ali to stay till ct 2017, Azhar wanted to retire from odi as soon as relinquished captaincy lol. I'm not saying he's a revolutionary player but he was a gun test player and from the lists of shehzad, Imam's, Abdullah's, he's clearly the better opener and was the best pair alongside Fakhar Zaman.

3) Asad Shafiq wasn't forced to hold himself back, that 5 4's is a one off. Shafiq was rubbish in odi plain and simple, theirs no excuse, he was garage through and through and is the worst odi player to have played 50 or more games for pakistan.

Misbah is 100% at fault for selecting him in odi and giving him an extended rope and sidelining sarfi post Australia odi series. Shafiq hilariously flopped during this time period and in the subsequent series.

4) Agreed on this.

Here's what I'm not understanding. For me Misbah was a great test captain, a horrible coach and selector and horrible Odi and t20 captain. And that's what history even suggests.

What I'm not understanding is how or why you guys are linking uae test and this Bangladesh series to misbah when he isn't involved in this case?

Misbah has nothing to do with the likes of Shan masood being appointed nor is he making any decisons atm? And nor does he have anything to do with shafiq's odi failures. He infact gave shafiq a bigger push then Rizwam even, but shafiq was just rubbish. Asad shafiq's career highlight is that 100 against sri lanka where he and sarfi won the game from a lost position.

But I don't get how Azhar and Shafiq's play style has anything to do with misbah or what this Bangladesh series has anything to do with it

Should Misbah be held responsible for the number one ranking in Tests too?

Younis Khan’s ATG batting against spin, chucking services of Ajmal and Yasir Shah’s lefties carried that team in the UAE.

Away from home, Misbah embarrassed us in Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

His inept cricketing IQ was exposed in Australia and Zimbabwe.

Who can forget those leg-side fields when he bowling Yasir to the ground? Who can forget the Channel 9 comm. box mocking him? Ian Chappell couldn’t hide his disgust.

It was clear for everyone to see that he was the worst ever captain in tests played in Australia. This will never change.

Misbah’s assignment as captain should’ve ended in 2013 after he failed to beat a minnow Zimbabwe team, who are far inferior to the current Bangladesh side.

But only Pakistan cricket, do we reward mediocrity with promotions and allow them to coach the side without any relevant coaching experience and qualifications.

Misbah did irreparable damage to Pakistan cricket.

He never put the team first. This was evident by his Mohali knock and his ODI batting strike rates in the 2015 World Cup and also in the 2014 calendar year.

Pakistan should have moved on from in 2013. This was the year when Pakistan were whitewashed in South Africa, failed to beat a minnow Zimbabwe team in a test series and produced the worst showing ever in an ICC tournament, during the 2013 Champions Trophy.

However, he continued to play for another 4 years when he was approaching his mid 40s. This set a bad precedent and has made average players believe they can all play until 40.

He changed the culture of Pakistan cricket due to his preference for weaker personalities and old players. He introduced cake cutting for 5fers and hundreds, even if these were achieved in a losing contest.

His loser mentality was there for everyone to see when clips and photos of cake cutting celebrations went viral after Shafiq scored a hundred in that lost Brisbane test.

In response to OP, Misbah should be accountable for all the damage he’s done to Pakistan cricket.

I’m sorry, I’m not gonna lota around and revise history.

Brother relax, you already know the type of poster i am, you dont need to worry about agenda based replies with me, we're just having a friendly discussion thats all.

Now for the rest.

The first point I agree with, Sarfi was mostly a forced entry due to adnan's failures. However at the end of the day Sarfi did come at no 7 and was a regular thpughput 2014 to 2016 till misbah's reign. Misbah never kicked him out for rizzu during this time period.

2) Azhar in test wasn't bad brother, in all of Azhar's 19 test centuries, Pakistan won most of their games. They drew very few times and lost only 5x, and most of those losses occurred in the 2017 to 2018 period after misbah era. And he can't be blamed for the Australia loss where he struck 205, he did his part, the rest didn't. Infact his 302 not put against West Indies resulted in a crushing victory for pakistan. Azhar was a genuinely good test player and was only overshadowed by YK? Many test games were due to azhar Ali?

As for odi, he hardly played much odi, moat of his crappy odi knocks were from when Misbah wasn't even around, he only featured under misbah for 2012 India game where he and YK partnership in 2nd odi won it for pakistan.

Then afterwards he became captain when misbah wasn't in odi, his own performances in odi were very very good during this time period, yes he was a garage captain but he willingly stepped down.

If azhar was a crap player as you proclaim, sarfi and mickey wouldn't have requested azhar Ali to stay till ct 2017, Azhar wanted to retire from odi as soon as relinquished captaincy lol. I'm not saying he's a revolutionary player but he was a gun test player and from the lists of shehzad, Imam's, Abdullah's, he's clearly the better opener and was the best pair alongside Fakhar Zaman.

3) Asad Shafiq wasn't forced to hold himself back, that 5 4's is a one off. Shafiq was rubbish in odi plain and simple, theirs no excuse, he was garage through and through and is the worst odi player to have played 50 or more games for pakistan.

Misbah is 100% at fault for selecting him in odi and giving him an extended rope and sidelining sarfi post Australia odi series. Shafiq hilariously flopped during this time period and in the subsequent series.

4) Agreed on this.

Here's what I'm not understanding. For me Misbah was a great test captain, a horrible coach and selector and horrible Odi and t20 captain. And that's what history even suggests.

What I'm not understanding is how or why you guys are linking uae test and this Bangladesh series to misbah when he isn't involved in this case?

Misbah has nothing to do with the likes of Shan masood being appointed nor is he making any decisons atm? And nor does he have anything to do with shafiq's odi failures. He infact gave shafiq a bigger push then Rizwam even, but shafiq was just rubbish. Asad shafiq's career highlight is that 100 against sri lanka where he and sarfi won the game from a lost position.

But I don't get how Azhar and Shafiq's play style has anything to do with misbah or what this Bangladesh series has anything to do with it
The Lota comment wasn’t directed at you, but there are a lot of people flip flopping on this thread. So we can all relax.

I’m not saying Azhar was a crap player. And yes, he does have some good innings and I appreciate them. And yes, I give him respect for changing his approach in CT17 and also walking away from ODI and even test captaincy when it was clear he wasn’t up to it. Fair play.

He still played a lot of innings that could have had more intent and taken the team further. At the end of his career this all became exacerbated to the point of being excruciating for all of us. I don’t mind a player like Azhar in the team (at his best). But when you also had king Tuk Tuk Misbah and Asad Shafiq competing with the tukathons it didn’t make for (a) great viewing or (b) the cause for a win. Remember one of Pakistan’s famous wins bowling England out for 72 in the UAE, England were only chasing 125. When you set the opposition under 200 runs, it means your batting has failed. The fact our spinners bailed them out does not validate the batting approach.

The reason why Misbah is held responsible for current failures is the meek, subservient and safety attitude he instilled. We have no positivity, body language or will to win. We just stay meek and hope the oppositiob just collapse like England did in 2012.

The Lota comment wasn’t directed at you, but there are a lot of people flip flopping on this thread. So we can all relax.

I’m not saying Azhar was a crap player. And yes, he does have some good innings and I appreciate them. And yes, I give him respect for changing his approach in CT17 and also walking away from ODI and even test captaincy when it was clear he wasn’t up to it. Fair play.

He still played a lot of innings that could have had more intent and taken the team further. At the end of his career this all became exacerbated to the point of being excruciating for all of us. I don’t mind a player like Azhar in the team (at his best). But when you also had king Tuk Tuk Misbah and Asad Shafiq competing with the tukathons it didn’t make for (a) great viewing or (b) the cause for a win. Remember one of Pakistan’s famous wins bowling England out for 72 in the UAE, England were only chasing 125. When you set the opposition under 200 runs, it means your batting has failed. The fact our spinners bailed them out does not validate the batting approach.

The reason why Misbah is held responsible for current failures is the meek, subservient and safety attitude he instilled. We have no positivity, body language or will to win. We just stay meek and hope the oppositiob just collapse like England did in 2012.
The thing is I don't mind the combination.

Yes I'm aware of some of Azhar's painful 100 of 300 balls knocks.

However the thing is Azhar and shafiq(in test) and even Misbah ensured a win wasn't possible for the opposition while YK did his magic, and many times shafiq and azhar did punch > Their weight when YK didn't perform, shafiq's 100 against sri lanka and sarfi's 96 was a brilliant innings by both of them and a legendary knock, infact it's probably shafiq's best innings ever.

Misbah wasn't a bad test player either.

Misbah is overrated in test, because he's overrated on this entire forumn. People despise him or they view him as jesus whereas for me he's neither.

In test yes he had the help of chuckers and outside uae he was useless, however even when he lost hafeez and ajmal he did great in UAE.

Regardless again my question was the current situation, I fail to see how azhar and shafiq's batting styles have anything to do qith misbah when shafiq was failing in odi in 2011 way before misbah had any influence on him? And azhar didn't tuk tuk every innings. Some of his knocks are questionable but atleast they led to draws and not losses like rizwan usually botches everything and fails at it repeatedly.

As for the present, after Misbah left the team in a rut in 2020, the team received foreign coaches and got a confidence resurgence in 2021, 2021 team isn't strong however it was confidence that causes them to perform as well as they did, it was also the reason alongside fakhar's magic in odi in 2023 that caused them to doninate c teams and get no 1 rank.

The pacers from 2021 to 2023(pre asia cup) were all sky high confident and the batters were confident in 2021

The failures of world cup in 2022 was because the batters cpuldnt read Australian pitches, however 2023 post asia cup was because India shattered the pakistan mentally in asia cup.

Afterwards some pacers got injured and didn't return to form, Shaheen hasn't been mentally the same after losing faith in Babar and the team, The batters form collapsed a dime a dozen and the gap in skill quality of full strength sides is just too high.

Misbah was demotivated the team when he was around and caused it to collapse and created a poor culture, however I disagree with current events. The current events aren't his doing, otherwise 2021 confidence wouldn't have occurred, nor would current state of affairs such as Shan masood being captain and leading the side into an even bigger downward spiral.

Shan panicking and giving sarfi make shift captaincy, Babar's poor form from 2022 onwards isn't misbah's doing and many players in the test unit like saud and Agha aren't even from misbah era or his recommendation, neither is saim ayub? Or the current bowlers like Ali or khurram?

So I really don't see how Misbah has anything to do with Bangladesh loss barring rizwan being the only connection to the Misbah test legacy. The rizwan nonsense I agree him he's the prime factor who's plaging till this day

The thing is I don't mind the combination.

Yes I'm aware of some of Azhar's painful 100 of 300 balls knocks.

However the thing is Azhar and shafiq(in test) and even Misbah ensured a win wasn't possible for the opposition while YK did his magic, and many times shafiq and azhar did punch > Their weight when YK didn't perform, shafiq's 100 against sri lanka and sarfi's 96 was a brilliant innings by both of them and a legendary knock, infact it's probably shafiq's best innings ever.

Misbah wasn't a bad test player either.

Misbah is overrated in test, because he's overrated on this entire forumn. People despise him or they view him as jesus whereas for me he's neither.

In test yes he had the help of chuckers and outside uae he was useless, however even when he lost hafeez and ajmal he did great in UAE.

Regardless again my question was the current situation, I fail to see how azhar and shafiq's batting styles have anything to do qith misbah when shafiq was failing in odi in 2011 way before misbah had any influence on him? And azhar didn't tuk tuk every innings. Some of his knocks are questionable but atleast they led to draws and not losses like rizwan usually botches everything and fails at it repeatedly.

As for the present, after Misbah left the team in a rut in 2020, the team received foreign coaches and got a confidence resurgence in 2021, 2021 team isn't strong however it was confidence that causes them to perform as well as they did, it was also the reason alongside fakhar's magic in odi in 2023 that caused them to doninate c teams and get no 1 rank.

The pacers from 2021 to 2023(pre asia cup) were all sky high confident and the batters were confident in 2021

The failures of world cup in 2022 was because the batters cpuldnt read Australian pitches, however 2023 post asia cup was because India shattered the pakistan mentally in asia cup.

Afterwards some pacers got injured and didn't return to form, Shaheen hasn't been mentally the same after losing faith in Babar and the team, The batters form collapsed a dime a dozen and the gap in skill quality of full strength sides is just too high.

Misbah was demotivated the team when he was around and caused it to collapse and created a poor culture, however I disagree with current events. The current events aren't his doing, otherwise 2021 confidence wouldn't have occurred, nor would current state of affairs such as Shan masood being captain and leading the side into an even bigger downward spiral.

Shan panicking and giving sarfi make shift captaincy, Babar's poor form from 2022 onwards isn't misbah's doing and many players in the test unit like saud and Agha aren't even from misbah era or his recommendation, neither is saim ayub? Or the current bowlers like Ali or khurram?

So I really don't see how Misbah has anything to do with Bangladesh loss barring rizwan being the only connection to the Misbah test legacy. The rizwan nonsense I agree him he's the prime factor who's plaging till this day
Obviously we can’t completely blame Misbah for the current loss. But the weak-mindedness, the pathetic body language, the anonymous look in their eyes, the darpok creating a crisis out of nothing in the second innings of both of matches is a result of the indoctrination of Misbahism over the years.

Obviously we can’t completely blame Misbah for the current loss. But the weak-mindedness, the pathetic body language, the anonymous look in their eyes, the darpok creating a crisis out of nothing in the second innings of both of matches is a result of the indoctrination of Misbahism over the years.
I still disagree with you on this. I'm fine with scrutinising misbah for whiteball. His stubborn approaches and views towards whiteball cricket cost pakistan and set them years back.

However test isn't the format where he flunked in. He did ultimately turn UAE into a fortress, and pakistan won games without YK's input on many occasions. Yes England game has YK input and YK was pur hest but confidence was sky high, and with the exception of Jamshed and UA, everyone else was fit. Their wasn't an issue of pacers being unable to last 4 overs during his stint.

I feel like this thread is hating for the sake of hating and creating various Narratives that are qualitivative and speculative.

Misbah's biggest crime that plagues us to this day was the appointment of Babar as all format captain, Rizwan inclusion which led to a few careers being ruined and chacha's inclusion.

All other factors beyond this, like how Shan is captaining, how the new players are performing like saim ayub, Abdullah shafiq, How the current pacers are doing etc etc, Misbah never coached, mentored, spoke or even had any say in any of this.

I still fail to see how pacers regressing 2022 and onwards, and how the performances of agha, Saim, Abdullah shafiq, and even Babar since his form collapsed into oblivion post 2022 has anything to do with Misbah. And chacha doesn't even play test.

All of misbah's recommendations like usman qadir, Husnain, Azhar Ali as captain, Abid Ali in test, Irfan shehzad and UA returning etc etc are all gone now and haven't had any input in the team since 2020.

The whole current culture has no nothing to do with misbah lol. If a player is unfit then the player themselves is to blame. No one is telling Ali to not be able to bowl a test quota or rizwan to not be able to keep or azam khan to not lose weight.

I still disagree with you on this. I'm fine with scrutinising misbah for whiteball. His stubborn approaches and views towards whiteball cricket cost pakistan and set them years back.

However test isn't the format where he flunked in. He did ultimately turn UAE into a fortress, and pakistan won games without YK's input on many occasions. Yes England game has YK input and YK was pur hest but confidence was sky high, and with the exception of Jamshed and UA, everyone else was fit. Their wasn't an issue of pacers being unable to last 4 overs during his stint.

I feel like this thread is hating for the sake of hating and creating various Narratives that are qualitivative and speculative.

Misbah's biggest crime that plagues us to this day was the appointment of Babar as all format captain, Rizwan inclusion which led to a few careers being ruined and chacha's inclusion.

All other factors beyond this, like how Shan is captaining, how the new players are performing like saim ayub, Abdullah shafiq, How the current pacers are doing etc etc, Misbah never coached, mentored, spoke or even had any say in any of this.

I still fail to see how pacers regressing 2022 and onwards, and how the performances of agha, Saim, Abdullah shafiq, and even Babar since his form collapsed into oblivion post 2022 has anything to do with Misbah. And chacha doesn't even play test.

All of misbah's recommendations like usman qadir, Husnain, Azhar Ali as captain, Abid Ali in test, Irfan shehzad and UA returning etc etc are all gone now and haven't had any input in the team since 2020.

The whole current culture has no nothing to do with misbah lol. If a player is unfit then the player themselves is to blame. No one is telling Ali to not be able to bowl a test quota or rizwan to not be able to keep or azam khan to not lose weight.
We’re not gonna agree on everything that’s fine.

Misbah has been responsible for our pusillanimous attitude over the years. That his is legacy. An utter coward.

100% agreed, he really was the cancer of Pakistan more so because of his deceptiveness

If something goes wrong, it is more important to talk about who is going to fix it, than who is to blame.

So let me putit straight.

Imad wasim is seen puffing around a cigarette in the dressing room. His fitness is a concern ends up getting selected through Naqvi coming in, and ends up losing to India when he failed to score runs against Axar Patil.

But somehow this is Misbahs fault not Naqvis or Imads

Back