Should Pakistan go for the target in the 2nd Test vs New Zealand at Hamilton?

Should Pakistan Go for the Target in Hamilton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahmedwaqas92

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
So guys the equation is pretty simple, it's basically 90 odd overs with 360 odd runs on the board.

If we break down the chase by RR that gives us approximately 4.08 runs per over across 3 sessions. In Sharjah we managed to make 5 R.P.O. under two sessions and that chase was around 300-305 runs.

I think realistically this is possible; a good batting strip, in a ground where you get value for your runs so if we bat with positive intent I see no reason why this can't be achieved.

What do you guys reckon, please share !!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on opener. First goal should be to get 100 runs in 30 overs without losing more than 2 wickets.

Yes. Nothing to lose. We're gonna lose even if we play for a draw and if even if we do somehow draw it, it won't matter if we lost the series 1-0 or 2-0, we still lost the series. Just go out there guns blazing

Hope so, it's the only way we're going to get 10 wickets.

Its a tricky one. Yes, we would be losing the series anyway but currently we should also consider there is a test match loss at stake. The team seems to be disintegrating and a loss here would further deflate them. As much as I like them to go for a win, it is better at least we do not lose the test going to Australia.

The last time we lost a test series was a 2match series in Sri Lanka (2014). We were in a similar situation in the 2nd test looking to go for 275ish target but failed miserably against Herath. Coincidentally, that series too preceded the Australian series and we all know how Younis and co. annihilated them. Hoping for similar results.

Play 1st session normally. Then go for it, if things are looking good. If they lose more than 2 wickets in the 1st session, then play for a draw.

I would say No. because playing your shots will mean that you are giving more opportunities to NZ. And there you may lose wickets. Yes if you dont lose or lose not more than 2 wickets in 2 sessions then you can go for it. Otherwise no.

Not playing your shots would mean you are left about 200 runs in last session which is chasable if about 8 wickets are in hand

Last edited:
You need to go for it .

Play the ball on meri. In the first session, look to rotate the strike. That will be key.

I just want Azhar, Sami and Younis to bat for as long as possible to regain some form.

Given that the Cairns match will be ruined by rain, this is probably their final innings before the Brisbane Test.

It will be 95 overs to make up for the time that was lost earlier.

Without question they should go for it. Look to promote Safaraz and even Sohail.

All that negatives around the team can be erased with one win here, but I think PAK will style for a draw. To tempt them, Kiwis should have declared with 10 more overs at hand.

Azhar is a guy who bats with a mindset that he is not going for any shot in first 2/3 hours which often puts himself into jail. At the start of the innings, I have seen him blocking genuine half vollies which gives bowlers extra confidence to attack him by pitching it up. I hope tomorrow PAK openers hit those balls there to be driven - win, draw or loss is secondary, first it should be positive attitude.

I remember before the Sharjah Magrib chase, there was a similar Thread on PP. Majority said that we should go for the target, even though SL were not all out by that point but Pakistan still went for the chase.

This thread I hope brings the same luck and positivism to this chase as it did a couple of years ago. I believe the true resurgence started from that point on wards and I sincerely hope that we can do something along those lines tomorrow at Hamilton.

Azhar or anyone from the team....If you're reading this !!!

Gun it Down Boys, we're all behind you !!! :akhtar :wasim :junaid :ikj :bhatti :chacha

I remember before the Sharjah Magrib chase, there was a similar Thread on PP. Majority said that we should go for the target, even though SL were not all out by that point but Pakistan still went for the chase.

This thread I hope brings the same luck and positivism to this chase as it did a couple of years ago. I believe the true resurgence started from that point on wards and I sincerely hope that we can do something along those lines tomorrow at Hamilton.

Azhar or anyone from the team....If you're reading this !!!

Gun it Down Boys, we're all behind you !!! :akhtar :wasim :junaid :ikj :bhatti :chacha

Theres a big difference between the two scenarios, that was basically a home series vs Srilanka.. and the condition of the pitch made it look possible...

The target and opposition are very different in this game...

Azhar got a century in Maghrib chase people like to compare this scenario to.

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure

It's time to show brand Pakistan is something which used to get school kids excited

I remember my history teacher at secondary school asking me which team I supported and assuming it was Pakistan because how good they were at the time

Of course they should. I rather risk a 2-0 defeat looking to draw the series rather than settling for a series defeat from the off.

I just want Azhar, Sami and Younis to bat for as long as possible to regain some form.

Given that the Cairns match will be ruined by rain, this is probably their final innings before the Brisbane Test.

Best answer. This team is simply not capable of chasing this target with the type of batsmen we have.

After 2-3 hours retire out for others to have a go.

Bat conservatively and keep wickets in hand, if we get to tea then reassess the situation and see if we can have a go.

I'd rather Pak lost 2-0 and went for it then going down 1-0 with this one a draw. Was the start of play delayed or are they just crawling it as always?

Pakistan are going after the target it looks like after lunch

Seeing some quick singles, so it looks like that Pakistan would be going after the win from here

No.

Pakistan has no chance to chase the target. It will only increase its chances of losing. This is a good approach by Sami and Azhar.

Back