Sikh children in US schools targets of hate

Ambi

First Class Captain
Runs
Washington: More than half of Sikh children in US schools endure bullying with over two-thirds of turbaned Sikh children among its worst victims, according to a new national report. Sikh children have been punched kicked, and had their turbans ripped off by fellow students, it found.

Focused on Seattle, Indianapolis, Boston, and Fresno, California metropolitan Areas, the report, entitled "Go Home Terrorist," - A Report on Bullying Against Sikh American School Children," was released last week on Capitol Hill, seat of US Congress.

The bullying of Sikh children is often associated with post-9/11 bias, the report found with epithets such as "terrorist" or "Bin Laden" frequently accompanying verbal and physical abuse.

According to the National Centre for Education Statistics, 32 percent of all students ages 12 to 18 report that they are bullied in school.

Turbaned Sikh children therefore likely experience bullying at more than double the national rate, the report said.

Consistently Sikh children have called on educators and administrators to teach more about Sikhs and the Sikh religion in order to build understanding in school, it noted.

The report cites lack of federal data on the bullying of Sikh school children as a systematic concern that should be addressed in order to better diagnose and target efforts to solve the issue.

In addition, the absence of or negative representation of Sikhs in school textbooks nationwide was cited by the report as an opportunity to better combat or mitigate school bullying.

The report is based on surveys and focus groups of over 700 Sikh school children and interviews of over 50 Sikh students in four metropolitan areas: Seattle, Indianapolis, Boston, and Fresno, California during 2012 and 2013.

Mike Honda, Democratic chair of the Congressional Anti-Bullying Caucus joined the American Sikh Congressional Caucus, and The Sikh Coalition, an umbrella community organisation at the release event.

"The Sikh Coalition's study and report reinforces the need for research, attention, and education to address bullying," Honda said.

"It would not be an exaggeration to call school bullying, particularly as it applies to turbaned Sikh youth, 'widespread,'" said Amardeep Singh, Director of Programmes at the Sikh Coalition.

"We have a long-term, institutional commitment to ensuring our children reach their full human potential," said Sapreet Kaur, executive director of the Sikh Coalition.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/sikh-children-in-us-schools-targets-of-hate_918590.html

According to the National Centre for Education Statistics, 32 percent of all students ages 12 to 18 report that they are bullied in school.
Bullying of children, irregardless of race, religion or ethnicity is deplorable and more needs to be done not just in educating the children against bullying but also the parents of those doing the bullying.

This needs to be done hand in hand with other measures being taken, such as suspending the bullies from school and fining their parents. And if even that fails, then the bullies (and/or their parents depending upon the ages of the bullies) should be taken to court and the bullying treated as common assault.

Turbaned Sikh children therefore likely experience bullying at more than double the national rate, the report said
Children of minorities, especially those that stand out in terms of colour, ethnicity or other visible traits are especially vulnerable, and it is bad enough being victims of racism outside schools, but targeting children of minorities is also racism at schools.

The bullying of Sikh children is often associated with post-9/11 bias, the report found with epithets such as "terrorist" or "Bin Laden" frequently accompanying verbal and physical abuse.

It is fairly clear that the Sikh children being twice as likely to be targeted by bullies in U.S. schools is not the fact that they are Sikhs, but that the bullies think they are Muslims.
Consistently Sikh children have called on educators and administrators to teach more about Sikhs and the Sikh religion in order to build understanding in school, it noted.

The report cites lack of federal data on the bullying of Sikh school children as a systematic concern that should be addressed in order to better diagnose and target efforts to solve the issue.
Bearing in mind the previous comment above, are the Sikh's really saying "Don't target us or our children - we're not Muslims" ? - a bit like saying "Hey it wasn't us, it was them, them Muslims :haha..........and we're not Muslims".

Last edited:
Three clear choices for Sikhs in a foreign environment.

1. Don't force children to wear religious garb from India.

2. Go home to India if the religious garb is more important than fitting in with your chosen country of residence.

3. Wear the turban as a badge of honour and accept there will be bullying as part of the price for doing so.

2. Go home to India if the religious garb is more important than fitting in with your chosen country of residence.

3. Wear the turban as a badge of honour and accept there will be bullying as part of the price for doing so.

They went with 3, no mass rallies or protests. No demand to implement religious laws. Just doing their everyday business.

What a ridiculous thing to say, especially no.2. So just to fit in one should abandon his culture?

South Asians add alot of spices in their food which creates a scent that other people can't handle. So if the next day some foreign guy comes complaining on your door, do you just change your diet completely or tell them to mind their own business?

Instead of teaching a lesson to those low life fools who make fun of such things, we should just accept it and ask the sikh kids to return?

What a ridiculous thing to say, especially no.2. So just to fit in one should abandon his culture?

South Asians add alot of spices in their food which creates a scent that other people can't handle. So if the next day some foreign guy comes complaining on your door, do you just change your diet completely or tell them to mind their own business?

Instead of teaching a lesson to those low life fools who make fun of such things, we should just accept it and ask the sikh kids to return?

Number 2 is one of the three options. Number 3 is also there if you don't like number 2. You can't expect American people to be able to tell the difference between a Sikh turban and a Taliban one so if you want your son to go to school looking like a mini Bin Laden then you should accept that he might get bullied and that is where option 3 covers that eventuality.

They went with 3, no mass rallies or protests. No demand to implement religious laws. Just doing their everyday business.

This!
These guys are not holding protests asking for non Sikh believers to be beheaded or they are not chanting slogans like death to those who insult Guru Nanakji.

Sad to read this. Just shows how dumb so many Americans are.

I'm not surprised because America is the most ignorant nation on this planet and the majority, are heavily brainwashed.

I'm not surprised because America is the most ignorant nation on this planet and the majority, are heavily brainwashed.

What a load of rubbish, we have Wasim1 the proud nationalist Indian American plus Nostalgic and saadibaba who are always singing the praises of their new home. Look at the jews and how they overcame prejudice in the US by embracing their environment rather than focusing on the dumbness of the Christian majority in America.

What a load of rubbish, we have Wasim1 the proud nationalist Indian American plus Nostalgic and saadibaba who are always singing the praises of their new home. Look at the jews and how they overcame prejudice in the US by embracing their environment rather than focusing on the dumbness of the Christian majority in America.

Comparing the situation of Jews and Sikhs?!?!

In America, there is a law against anti-semitism and nothing against Sikhs.

Also, you don't believe the Americans are ignorant?

Comparing the situation of Jews and Sikhs?!?!

In America, there is a law against anti-semitism and nothing against Sikhs.

Also, you don't believe the Americans are ignorant?

No I don't. In America university students used to hold protests against the war in Vietnam with total freedom. Compare that with the Kashmiri students who cheered for Pakistan in India and got thrown out and charged with sedition.

No I don't. In America university students used to hold protests against the war in Vietnam with total freedom. Compare that with the Kashmiri students who cheered for Pakistan in India and got thrown out and charged with sedition.

Well, I don't think I need to hear much more.

I would say that on the whole the Americans are the most insular, least well-educated and least pluralist in thought of the citizens of the West.

Obviously there are individually brilliant Americans - some of them got us to the Moon using sixties technology, after all.

I would say that on the whole the Americans are the most insular, least well-educated and least pluralist in thought of the citizens of the West.

Obviously there are individually brilliant Americans - some of them got us to the Moon using sixties technology, after all.

America is a large canvas, with 50 plus states you are going to get a diverse bunch of people with varying degrees of tolerance across the region. I haven't been there but I can imagine the deep south is a lot more insular than the north. In the UK everyone lives on each other's doorsteps so integration is going to happen whether we like it or not.

Why such different views on Burqa ban then? Shouldn't they learn to live with the laws of the land as well? :)))

It may well be a "political stunt" but the Shiv Sena have probably figured out that since it seems open season on burqa wearers all over Europe, they might as well get on the bandwagon. Good luck to them I say, despicable bigots worldwide are certainly making hay while the sun shines.

Why such different views on Burqa ban then? Shouldn't they learn to live with the laws of the land as well? :)))

Yes they should. I have made my views on this clear in plenty of previous threads as well, I'm sure when you did a search through my posts you might have come across it. Even in that one you posted there, I said "good for them" (the Hindutva bigots). Your country your rules. If I was living there I'd probably wear a loincloth and not shower for a month to integrate with the locals better.

If you are going to dress up your children like circus clowns , then its natural that they will get mocked, ridiculed , bullied and laughed at in schools or elsewhere.

I find it funny how this is being made as an issue of American ignorance when most of Sikh children are meted out same treatment even in INDIA , especially where they are in minority. You cannot expect children to not laugh at or bully the " Odd Man Out " in the school whose balancing a potato over his head. I bet most of the Sikh children would give up their turban rather than bearing daily harassment for no fault of their own.

And regarding the question of choice that has been made, Sorry its the choice made by the Egoistic Religious Sikhs parents for their children who think that not cutting any hair and wearing some funny turban ( that would make even the best of guys look like clowns ) is bringing them more closer to some stupid Hair loving God. What are parents losing out anyway ? Infact they get the bragging rights among their relatives back home about how their children are still continuing the stupid practice aka culture of growing their hair inspite of growing up in a different culture, completely insensitive to plight of their children.

Yes they should. I have made my views on this clear in plenty of previous threads as well, I'm sure when you did a search through my posts you might have come across it. Even in that one you posted there, I said "good for them" (the Hindutva bigots). Your country your rules. If I was living there I'd probably wear a loincloth and not shower for a month to integrate with the locals better.

Looks like I hit a nerve :)))

This!
These guys are not holding protests asking for non Sikh believers to be beheaded or they are not chanting slogans like death to those who insult Guru Nanakji.

:))

And that has everything to do with everything.

Looks like I hit a nerve :)))

No, you missed the point. I would read through the reply by eradicator for an idea what that point was, nothing wrong with patriotism, but sometimes there are deeper issues for society to address and flag waving is no answer.

LOL at calling me out for no reason when I havent posted to this thread. Not sure what I did to rile you up so badly lollll.

America is an amazing country and many in India and Pakistan would love to live here. Btw You got a union jack beside your name. :wasim

Obviously this is not right to bully anyone. I'm curious if you think it should be fair game to rip hijabs off women in your beloved UK where this is commonplace? Hopefully you dont think that these women are at fault.

LOL at calling me out for no reason when I havent posted to this thread. Not sure what I did to rile you up so badly lollll.

America is an amazing country and many in India and Pakistan would love to live here. Btw You got a union jack beside your name. :wasim

Obviously this is not right to bully anyone. I'm curious if you think it should be fair game to rip hijabs off women in your beloved UK where this is commonplace? Hopefully you dont think that these women are at fault.

I used you as a positive example and you somehow translate that into me being riled? :91:

In case you still haven't got it, we mostly agree on this one, USA has a far better rights record than the Sikh home land as I'm sure most fair minded Sikhs will agree. As for the hijab, I have said so many times that if it is creating a danger for women in the UK then does it really make sense to send wives and daughters out wearing them? If they want to of their own accord then there's not much we can do about that.

What a pathetic comment !!!

America is a large canvas, with 50 plus states you are going to get a diverse bunch of people with varying degrees of tolerance across the region. I haven't been there but I can imagine the deep south is a lot more insular than the north. In the UK everyone lives on each other's doorsteps so integration is going to happen whether we like it or not.

Fair point on the UK.

I must have visited the USA a dozen times, mainly to New England but also Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

The US is really 50 different nations. I'd say that the North East and California are more liberal and with more of an intellectual tradition, particularly the former which has Harvard, Yale, MIT, Cornell and so on. The centre is more associated with a lumpen unsophisticated conservatism, lack of awareness of international politics and fundamentalist Christianity.

Would it sound more palatable if I had said "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"?

Wearing turbans is a religious obligation on the sikhs. I don`t think your argument comes under the paradigm of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Wearing turbans is a religious obligation on the sikhs. I don`t think your argument comes under the paradigm of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

It's not a religious obligation except for the baptised Sikhs, at least that's what I've heard previously on here. So many Sikhs don't wear turbans so I think we can safely assume it's no obligation.

The Captain is owning this thread lol

Everything aside, I think the Americans are probably the most ignorant nation on Earth when it comes to Geography and understanding of different cultures and people around the world. They like to typically lump them all together. So many times I have seen them confusing Arabs and Indians in terms of musical styles, dancing styles, etc.

A perfect example would be the cartoon character Haji or Hadji from Johnny Quest cartoon series.

He wears a turban, supposedly sikh, but his first name is Haji. He is supposed to be an orphan from Calcutta (why not Delhi or Punjab or something, doesnt make sense)

They prefer to not even research stuff when creating showbiz characters, that tells you about how ignorant they are.

A few years ago, I had a white woman in her 50s as my boss and she always maintained that Romania was a part of Soviet Union. (really?)

In Florida schools, I remember reading about it somewhere, they are still using text book of history or geography or something that shows that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are still one country.

Just watch that old hit animated Robin Williams movie Aladdin and you will see how frequently they confuse Indians and Arabs.

Fair point on the UK.

I must have visited the USA a dozen times, mainly to New England but also Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

The US is really 50 different nations. I'd say that the North East and California are more liberal and with more of an intellectual tradition, particularly the former which has Harvard, Yale, MIT, Cornell and so on. The centre is more associated with a lumpen unsophisticated conservatism, lack of awareness of international politics and fundamentalist Christianity.

People in North East are biggest hypocrites, living of old money and in old thoughts. I would say, they don't even care what happens outside their small little world, which extends in south till Virginia and in west till Indiana.

I follow the principle of not showing your culture, religion, beliefs overtly when we are in foreign lands.

Most people are good, but it only takes a few bullies to ruin the image of the entire state or country. Bullies try to pick on anything that looks different from what they normally see.

This is probably an accurate picture of what an Average American thinks of Europe.....mind you I am not even going to Asia or Africa.

America_original.jpg

I follow the principle of not showing your culture, religion, beliefs overtly when we are in foreign lands.

Most people are good, but it only takes a few bullies to ruin the image of the entire state or country. Bullies try to pick on anything that looks different from what they normally see.

That's a sign of ignorance!

You also have to take into account, this land originally belonged to the native Americans, who were forcefully evicted from their land, so these guys should make some effort to learn a bit about America's history and then, they will truly learn the real identity of the lands people.

This is probably an accurate picture of what an Average American thinks of Europe.....mind you I am not even going to Asia or Africa.

America_original.jpg

That seems just about right.

Only the minorities (and some very clever folks), seem to have a genuine knowledge about the great big world they live in.

Last edited:

Or spread the awareness that they are not Muslims. How about that? ehh? What a ridiculous post.

I am not contesting your idea but, as far as I know, many of those achievements were due to European (and in particular german) scientists who emigrated to the US before, during and after WWII, including Dr Von Braun who is the father of the Saturn V rocket and had a great role in Apollo programs.

Or spread the awareness that they are not Muslims. How about that? ehh? What a ridiculous post.

I'm sorry but it is your post which is ridiculous.

Students are being discriminated against because people think they are muslims and you want to inform those students sikhs are not muslims? How about informing them that they shouldn't not discriminate anyone they think is Muslim?

I'm sorry but it is your post which is ridiculous.

Students are being discriminated against because people think they are muslims and you want to inform those students sikhs are not muslims? How about informing them that they shouldn't not discriminate anyone they think is Muslim?

That's not their job. Let Muslims do it if they think Muslims are discriminated.

Yet you carried round a knife in New Zealand because NZ and Oz people are racist to Indians and you were scared of getting beat up. Why didn't you spread some awareness there instead of carrying illegal weapons? Put down the saffron flag before hitting the keyboard kid. This isn't an India/Pak flame thread.

We Are All Muslims: A Sikh Response to Islamophobia in the NYPD and Beyond

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sonny...-surveillance-and-islamophobia_b_1336722.html

Lets read the whole article.

As a brown-skinned Sikh with a turban on my head and a long beard on my chin, I deal with my fair share of racist and xenophobic harassment regularly, including in my home of New York City, the most diverse city on the planet. It usually takes the form of someone yelling or perhaps mumbling at me: Osama bin Laden/terrorist/al Qaeda/he's going to blow up the [insert location]/go back to your country/etc. Less often, someone might threaten me, get in my face, or in one case, pull off my turban on the subway.

My experience is not terribly unique for a turban-wearing Sikh in the United States. Especially since 9/11, we Sikhs have become all too familiar with racial epithets, bullying and violence. Just last month, a gurdwara in Michigan was vandalized with hostile anti-Muslim graffiti. Last year, in what we can assume was a hate attack, two elderly Sikh men were shot and killed while taking an evening walk in a quiet neighborhood in Elk Grove, Calif.

Many talk about the prevalence of anti-Sikh attacks as a case of "mistaken identity." Sikhs mistaken for Muslims. Indeed, we are by and large attacked because of anti-Muslim bigotry. The Michigan gurdwara was targeted for that reason, and most of us who experience racist harassment as Sikhs in the U.S. experience it through the vilification of Muslims and/or Arabs.

Ironically, many Sikhs themselves vilify Muslims or at least distance themselves from the Muslim community at every possible opportunity. I remember in the days, weeks and months after 9/11, the first thing out of the mouths of many Sikhs when talking to the press, to politicians or even to their neighbors was, "We are not Muslims." While this is of course a fact, the implication of the statement if it stops there is: You're attacking the wrong community. Don't come after us, go after the Muslims! Sikhs believe in equality and freedom and love our country and our government. But Muslims? We don't like them either.

The roots of anti-Muslim sentiment in the Sikh community run deep in South Asia, from the days of the tyranny of Mughal emperors such as Aurangzeb in the 17th century to the bloodshed in 1947 when our homeland of Punjab was sliced into two separate nation-states. Despite these historical realities, Sikhism has always been clear that neither Muslims as a people nor Islam as a religion were ever the enemy. Tyranny was the enemy. Oppression was the enemy. Sectarianism was the enemy. In fact, the Guru Granth Sahib, our scriptures that are the center of Sikh philosophy and devotion, contains the writings of Muslim (Sufi) saints alongside those of our own Sikh Gurus. Nevertheless, historical memory breeds misguided hostility and mistrust of Muslims, especially in the contemporary global context of ever-increasing, mainstream Islamophobia.

What is it going to take for Sikhs and Muslims to join together in solidarity against the common enemies of racist harassment and violence, racial and religious profiling, and Islamophobic bigotry? Perhaps the recently exposed NYPD spying program (along with the "education" officers have received about Islam) will serve as a wake up call to my community (and other communities for that matter) about how bad things have really gotten. While we Sikhs confront bigotry on a daily basis from our neighbors, classmates, co-workers, employers and strangers on the street, our Muslim American counterparts are systematically targeted by our own government. (I should note that, of course, Sikhs too are profiled by law enforcement in less repressive, though still troubling, ways, especially at airport security).

Sikhism was born hundreds of years ago in part to stand up for the most oppressed and fight for the freedom and liberation of all people. If this isn't reason enough for us to make the cause of rooting out Islamophobia from the NYPD and other law enforcement and government agencies our own, we only have to return to the bleak reality we Sikhs in the U.S. still face right now in 2012. A time when gurdwaras are still vandalized with anti-Muslim statements, Sikh kids are still being bullied and tormented at school every day, and I am called Osama bin Laden while walking down a Manhattan street for the 258th time (no I'm not counting).

"We are not Muslims" hasn't been so effective for our community, has it? Even if we do so in a positive way that does not condone attacks on Muslims, simply educating the public about the fact that we are a distinct community and that we in fact "are not Muslim" will not get to the root of the problem. As long as we live in a country (and world) where an entire community (in this case, Muslims) is targeted, spied on and vilified, we will not be safe, we will not be free.

As Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote in his letter from a Birmingham jail in 1963, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny."

I hope the NYPD's blatant assault on the civil rights of our Muslim sisters and brothers propels us Sikhs as well as all people of conscience to action. Perhaps "We are not Muslims" will become "We are all Muslims," as we come together to eradicate Islamophobic bigotry in all its forms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sonny...-surveillance-and-islamophobia_b_1336722.html

This was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

One of the comments caught my eye, the poster quoted the Guru Granth:

“It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one is truly a Muslim, then he may be called one.
First, let him savor the religion of the Prophet as sweet; then, let his pride of his possessions be scraped away.
Becoming a true Muslim, a disciple of the faith of Mohammed, let him put aside the delusion of death and life.
As he submits to God’s Will, and surrenders to the Creator, he is rid of selfishness and conceit.
And when, O Nanak, he is merciful to all beings, only then shall he be called a Muslim.”

I did not realize Sikhism held such high regard for Islam and Muslims. There are more similarities than we are usually aware of. Slightly off topic, but just wanted to make that comment.

Peace to all. I have some dear friends who happen to be Sikhs.

why dont sikhs dread their hair like other people who think its wrong to cut hair?

That guy is a grown man and if he wants to wear a turban and beard and invite Islamophopic abuse that's his choice. The OP was about a very high percentage of Sikh school kids getting bullied in America. Sending your kids to school looking like bin laden's grandsons is not responsible parenting in my view. All the moral high ground doesn't count for much at school age.

why dont sikhs dread their hair like other people who think its wrong to cut hair?

It is one of the 5 K's which sikh guru had asked every sikh to carry, to be battle ready -

1. Kesh (Hair)
2. Kripan (Dagger)
3. Kada (Worn in hand, made of steel)
4. Kaccha (special undergarment)
5. Kangha (Wooden hair combing brush)

The Five Ks have both practical and symbolic purposes.

That guy is a grown man and if he wants to wear a turban and beard and invite Islamophopic abuse that's his choice. The OP was about a very high percentage of Sikh school kids getting bullied in America. Sending your kids to school looking like bin laden's grandsons is not responsible parenting in my view. All the moral high ground doesn't count for much at school age.

I agree with you. Multi-kulti should be eradicated.

Knowing a few sikhs I think they will take option 3 or 1.

You have a few option 3 sikhs in the UK. Admirable people.

Most are option one bhangra dancers and heavy drinkers.

There is also an option 4 where the local population educates itself on Sikh beliefs etc and racial discrimination is clamped down on in schools and the workplace.

It is one of the 5 K's which sikh guru had asked every sikh to carry, to be battle ready -

1. Kesh (Hair)
2. Kripan (Dagger)
3. Kada (Worn in hand, made of steel)
4. Kaccha (special undergarment)
5. Kangha (Wooden hair combing brush)

The Five Ks have both practical and symbolic purposes.

so wouldnt dreads count as 1? you still have all your hair.

Knowing a few sikhs I think they will take option 3 or 1.

You have a few option 3 sikhs in the UK. Admirable people.

Most are option one bhangra dancers and heavy drinkers.

There is also an option 4 where the local population educates itself on Sikh beliefs etc and racial discrimination is clamped down on in schools and the workplace.

Option 4 sounds nice but is utopia as far as Sikh children are concerned. They need solutions now, they don't want to wait until US kids become enlightened.

How about a practical way to ward off attacks on Sikhs because US public think they are terrorists? They could wear something like this but replace the "only" with "not" Islamic?

dont_panic_im_only_islamic_tshirts-r8e4f4c26e74043f8aec6927e4f731a10_8nhmp_512.jpg

Interesting how not one single Sikh from the US or any other enlightened nations has commented on this thread despite making their views known on other issues on these forums. Would it be fair to assume that the Sikh voice is a relic of the past and confined to history?

Didn't the sikhs join forces with the edl too

It's a shame when they they're victims of the same abuse they condone and reserve for others
ie 'we are not muslims'

what 'force', does sikh parents have a right to bring up their kids as they like(if it doesnt harm anyone)?or not ? Do muslim parents force islam on their kids ?. Stupid use of the words.
2nd thing, if u had read the op, it say school students from 12 to 18 suffer bulling, now 18 year old has some free will aswell, so if its his will that he wants to wear a turbun?

yea if more TOLERANT, and MULTICULTURAL western society churns out some retards like you, who mock other person's religion they should come back.

Yes, they should just accept that some bullies will bully them, as we cant expect the bullies to stop doing it, thats too big ask for them.

Turbun is not cumpulsary in sikhism, our tenth guru's army had a code of cunduct and a uniform. turbun was part of that uniform. Some sikhs want to follow that code even now and thats their free will.
I wear turbun, not because it will get me into heaven or any kind of family presure, its my choice that i want to follow my guru's foot steps and its also part of the culture.

Didn't the sikhs join forces with the edl too

It's a shame when they they're victims of the same abuse they condone and reserve for others
ie 'we are not muslims'

yes, lets paint all sikhs with one brush,
all sikhs join forces with edl members.
All muslims are terrorists.
All jews are evil and after muslim world
all indians are smelly
All americans are ignorant....

where did any sikh said that, 'please go and bully muslims' please show me a source. Its just that when someone confuses them to be a muslims, some sikhs might say 'they are not muslims'. Is that condoning and reserving bullying for others
?

If you are going to dress up your children like circus clowns , then its natural that they will get mocked, ridiculed , bullied and laughed at in schools or elsewhere.

I find it funny how this is being made as an issue of American ignorance when most of Sikh children are meted out same treatment even in INDIA , especially where they are in minority. You cannot expect children to not laugh at or bully the " Odd Man Out " in the school whose balancing a potato over his head. I bet most of the Sikh children would give up their turban rather than bearing daily harassment for no fault of their own.

And regarding the question of choice that has been made, Sorry its the choice made by the Egoistic Religious Sikhs parents for their children who think that not cutting any hair and wearing some funny turban ( that would make even the best of guys look like clowns ) is bringing them more closer to some stupid Hair loving God. What are parents losing out anyway ? Infact they get the bragging rights among their relatives back home about how their children are still continuing the stupid practice aka culture of growing their hair inspite of growing up in a different culture, completely insensitive to plight of their children.

have you ever been to punjab? Even many hindus wear turbun. My hindu friends in college wore turbuns many times. Even in pakistani punjab, i bet many muslims in village still were turbuns. Its part of the culture aswell. If they all look like clowns to you then its your presumtion. Just like any south indian would teach its kid to wear lungi or a rajsthani parents teach their kids to wear rounded turbuns or a muslims will expect their son to grow beard sikh parents also have a right to teach their kids their cultural and religious symbols.
Those who have a problem can mind their own business.

Its depressing to see most of the people are finding faults in sikhs but very few have said its the bullies who are to be blamed not the victims.

Spidy201 , you are new so you are taking some trolls seriously . Welcome to Pakpassion . :sohail

I dont know why desis put up with this nonsense in US.

Just move to Canada, we will welcome you with open arms !

New York man arrested on hate crime charge for attacking Sikh professor

A man accused of pulling the beard of a Sikh professor in an attack where young men called the professor “Osama” and a “terrorist” has been arrested and charged with a hate crime, police in New York City said on Saturday.

Sikh man beaten, told to 'go back to your country' in US

NEW YORK: A 50-year-old Sikh man was beaten up multiple times by two white men who yelled racial slurs that "You're not welcome here!, Go back to your country!" in the US state of California, prompting police to investigate the "heinous" hate crime, authorities said.

The incident happened last week near the intersection of Keyes and Foote roads in California as the man was putting up campaign signs alone along a rural stretch on the outskirts of Keyes, the police was quoted as saying by The Sacramento Bee.

Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said the assault is being investigated as a hate crime.

"This is a random despicable criminal act against a member of the Sikh community," Christianson said.

Sheriff Sergeant Tom Letras said the 50-year-old victim was placing signs for local candidates when two white men wearing black hooded sweatshirts ambushed him and beat him to the ground.

He was struck multiple times as the assailants screamed, "You're not welcome here!" and "Go back to your country!" They then spray painted his truck, Letras said.

"This is a heinous crime and we are aggressively investigating it," Letras said.

The victim required medical attention so an ambulance was called and he treated on scene for cuts and other wounds. According to a Facebook post, the man was beaten on the head with a rod. But he escaped major injury because of his turban, which is traditionally worn by Sikh men, the report added.

Also, the post shared an image of the pickup truck, which was spray painted in large black letters with the words "Go back to ur country" alongside a Celtic cross. The image is a well-known white supremacist symbol, according to the Anti-Defamation League which tracks anti-Semitic and other hate crimes across the country, the report added.

The department is looking for help identifying the suspects or witnesses to the crime. The incident is considered an assault with a deadly weapon and hate crime. The victim's identity is not being released at this time, Letras added.

Hate crimes against the Sikh community have raised alarm in the Central Valley numerous times over the years. After 9/11, a spate of local crimes against Sikh people were attributed to misplaced anti-Muslim bigotry.

The valley has one of the largest and oldest Sikh populations in the US. The first Sikh temple, or gurdwara, in America opened in Stockton in 1912. There are an estimated 500,000 Sikhs in the US and 25 million worldwide making it the fifth most popular religion.

Earlier, The Sikh Coalition, a national Sikh advocacy and civil rights group, issued a statement saying they were seeing a "new wave of hate crimes" against the Sikh community. It reported that Sikhs in the US are experiencing an average of one hate crime per week since the start of 2018.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...o-your-country-in-us/articleshow/65287584.cms

I agree with this

Back