Sir Ganga Ram: The forgotten hero of Lahore

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As I walk through the streets of Lahore, I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia and gratitude for the city's rich history. And yet, I'm struck by the realization that one of the city's most significant contributors, Ganga Ram, is largely forgotten by the very people he served.

I'm ashamed to admit that I, too, was once ignorant of Ganga Ram's legacy. But as I delved deeper into his story, I was struck by the magnitude of his contributions. From the iconic DAV College to the Ganga Ram Hospital, his impact on education and healthcare is still felt today.

Ganga Ram's selflessness, vision, and dedication to the city he loved are qualities that inspire me to be a better citizen, a better Pakistani.

So why, then, do we neglect his legacy? Why do we fail to honor the very people who shaped our city, our country, and our lives?

He died in 1927 (before Pakistan was formed). Maybe that's why people don't know much about him.

It is not just about Ganga Ram but a general lack of historical knowledge in Pakistan. And why should that surprise us?

In Pakistan, if you are an intellectually capable student, what are you expected to study in higher education, to advance your future career prospects? It is not the humanities. So the study of the humanities tends to be left to the less intellectually gifted - there are exceptions of course.

He was a great architect Aitchiston, GPO and Lahore Museum are some of his marvel architectural designs

It is not just about Ganga Ram but a general lack of historical knowledge in Pakistan. And why should that surprise us?

In Pakistan, if you are an intellectually capable student, what are you expected to study in higher education, to advance your future career prospects? It is not the humanities. So the study of the humanities tends to be left to the less intellectually gifted - there are exceptions of course.

He is responsible for a lot of architecture in Lahore. These sort of achievements aren't just in historical text books for intellectuals. Most major cities keep the memories of their architects and prominent designers alive through memorials, plaques and exhibitions.

In the case of Ganga Ram the lack of awareness is not due to a lack of knowledge, it is more due to the deliberate erasure or covering up of his achievements.

He is responsible for a lot of architecture in Lahore. These sort of achievements aren't just in historical text books for intellectuals. Most major cities keep the memories of their architects and prominent designers alive through memorials, plaques and exhibitions.

In the case of Ganga Ram the lack of awareness is not due to a lack of knowledge, it is more due to the deliberate erasure or covering up of his achievements.
The independent establishment of Pakistan has no value in keeping his memory alive or show that one of the best cities of South Asia is the brain child of a non-Muslim and a man who cant be linked to the idea of Pakistan. It doesn't help the narrative does it?

Manto has an ironic reply to your post and OP.

A marble statue of Sir Ganga Ram once stood in a public square on Mall Road in Lahore. In Urdu writer Saadat Hasan Manto's satirical story, "The Garland," set during the religious riots of 1947, an inflamed mob in Lahore, after attacking a residential area, attacks the statue of Ram. The police arrive and opened fire. As one of those shot by the police falls, the mob shouts: "Let us rush him to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital."

You cannot travel through Lahore without hearing the name of Ganga Ram.

He changed the landscape of Lahore and is quite popular especially because of the famous Ganga Ram Hospital.

The independent establishment of Pakistan has no value in keeping his memory alive or show that one of the best cities of South Asia is the brain child of a non-Muslim and a man who cant be linked to the idea of Pakistan. It doesn't help the narrative does it?
But, I would still argue, this is linked to an undervaluing of the humanities subjects in Pakistan, which means that few of the brightest minds in Pakistan engage with the such subjects.

A good history course encourages - in relation to the study of the past - curiosity, critical reflection, and a healthy scepticism. Historians generally like to question received wisdoms, to challenge myths - particularly nationalist myths - and to expose politically motivated story-telling.

Lahore has forgotten its Sanatani roots and the political propaganda has ensured the folk heroes of Lahore such as Shaheed e Azam Bhagat Singh and Sir Ganga Ram remain forgotten figures today. But this is not a Lahori embarrassment but a national one. Once you gain the right ilm as a Pakistani, the contradictions and irony will hit hard.

Back