"Sometimes a stare was enough to unsettle the batsman" : Curtly Ambrose

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Rated as one of the greatest fast bowlers of his generation, Sir Curtly Ambrose took 405 Test wickets at a remarkable average of 20.99. Armed with pace and accuracy which when allied with his 6 feet 7 inches frame, made Ambrose undoubtedly one of the toughest bowlers to face. In an international career lasting twelve years, the Antiguan fast bowler was responsible for many a destructive spell of bowling, including two stand out performances of 6 for 24 that saw England bowled out for 46 in Trinidad in 1994, and his series-clinching burst of 7 for 1 against Australia at the WACA in 1993.

Recently visiting England to launch his book, "Curtly Ambrose – Time to Talk", fifty-one year old Ambrose spoke to PakPassion.net on a number of topics including his views on Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, the decline in fast bowling resources in West Indies and Pakistan, the "Waugh Incident", Shoaib Akhtar and the return of international cricket to Pakistan.

633a0e2035b422d3647d92f46c381315efe252af

PakPassion.net : Who or what inspired you to become a fast bowler?

Curtly Ambrose :
It was because of my mother that I became a cricketer and fast bowler. She is the one who influenced me and really forced me into becoming a cricketer. My mother is a cricket fanatic and she always wanted a cricketer in the family. My mother was the driving force behind my playing cricket locally and then professionally.

PakPassion.net : What do you feel are the key qualities that a successful fast bowler needs to have?

Curtly Ambrose :
It’s a combination of things. First of all you have to love bowling and you have to love bowling fast. If you don’t love it, you won’t work as much as you need to. Then you also have to be prepared to work hard. Make no mistake, fast bowling is hard work, it’s not easy.

A lot of people talk about seam and swing and variation are good qualities to have as a fast bowler and qualities that you need to have to be a rounded fast bowler, but what one has to remember is that the basic foundation of becoming a great fast bowler is to be able to consistently bowl a good line and length and put the ball in the right areas. If you have pace and can swing the ball and seam the ball but cannot put the ball in the right areas, then nothing will work and your pace is of no use. As a fast bowler you have to learn to be able to put the ball in the right areas before you learn anything else and everything else after that will make you a more rounded fast bowler.

PakPassion.net : Your thoughts on Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, two of the all-time great fast bowlers from Pakistan?

Curtly Ambrose :
Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were indeed two great fast bowlers, that goes without saying. They could bowl very quick when they wanted to, they swung the ball at will and they could seam the ball too. They were more than a handful for any batsman and they worked extremely well together as a pair which is so important in any team. When a team has two quality bowlers like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis then that opponent becomes very dangerous.

Wasim Akram is one of my all-time favourite bowlers and any team that I would select comprising of the world’s best cricketers, Wasim Akram has to be in it. I’ve seen Wasim Akram do things with a cricket ball that people like me and others cannot really do. He was such a great bowler and I have a lot of admiration and respect for him.

PakPassion.net : Shoaib Akhtar’s cricket career could be described as a roller-coaster ride. What are your thoughts on Akhtar and how his career developed?

Curtly Ambrose :
Shoaib Akhtar was probably the quickest of them all, that goes without saying. What I saw of him he was never in the same league as Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis though. Yes he was very quick, he was different, he relied a lot on his pace but he wasn’t able to swing or seam the ball as much as Wasim and Waqar and if his pace wasn’t working then he didn’t have too much to fall back on. Shoaib Akhtar cannot be compared to Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis as they were in a different league when it came to fast bowling.

PakPassion.net : Pakistan and West Indies have always had the ability to produce great fast bowlers but that ability seems to be diminishing. Why do you think that is?

Curtly Ambrose :
One of the biggest problems is that pitches in both countries are not conducive to fast bowling and that discourages cricketers from wanting to bowl fast. The pitches in the Caribbean have deteriorated so much that they are not helping fast bowlers at all. We still have a lot of talented cricketers and fast bowlers in the Caribbean and I believe that once we start to produce better quality pitches, then that will encourage fast bowlers more and we will see better results as far as producing fast bowlers is concerned. At the moment the pitches are very low and slow and as a result of this, our regional first-class competition has been dominated for a number of years by spinners. We need to prepare better quality and quicker pitches in the Caribbean and I guess it’s a similar situation in Pakistan. If you produce good pitches, that produces better cricket and good cricketers.

PakPassion.net : When you bowled for West Indies you were a fearsome sight. How many of your battles in international cricket do you believe were won in the mind?

Curtly Ambrose :
I don’t think I put fear into the opposition batsmen around the world, that certainly wasn’t the intention. The thing with me is I am a highly competitive individual and it’s all about my team. For all the years that I played cricket with Courtney Walsh whenever we bowled well it automatically lifted the team, so our role as bowlers was very important to the West Indian team. Yes we are tall men who could bowl pretty quick and we could generate extra bounce, so it was never easy for batsmen to negotiate Courtney and I. However some batsmen negotiated us, but they had to be at their best to come out on top against us. When a batsman made a hundred against us, you knew for sure they have earned those runs. Perhaps some batsmen were intimidated but I can definitely say we never made it easy for batsmen and they knew they had been in a battle against us.

PakPassion.net : Speaking of Courtney Walsh, you and him certainly formed a fantastic partnership didn't you?

Curtly Ambrose :
It was a real pleasure bowling alongside Courtney. We worked well as a pairing and I feel that like batting partnerships, it's important that as bowlers you hunt in pairs. We backed each other, we helped each other when things got tough and we pushed each other to perform. Our thinking was very similar when it came to cricket and I was very lucky to have him around during my career.

PakPassion.net : Your celebration when you took a wicket was very passionate and almost unique. What was going through your mind when you took a wicket?

Curtly Ambrose :
I have no idea what was going through my mind, it was just a blur. I was that pumped up and in the zone that I was just so elated when I took a wicket. It was just sheer joy. When I was on the field I was in the zone and my focus was just on taking wickets and nothing could change that.

PakPassion.net : The Steve Waugh incident is well documented in your autobiography. Were there any other times when you lost your temper out in the middle?

Curtly Ambrose :
That was probably the only time in my career that I got really angry. There were moments when I got upset with players during my career but never to the point where I lost my cool to the extreme that I did with Steve Waugh. I was always somebody who preferred to let the ball do the talking for me even when I was upset with a batsman. I didn’t play my cricket like that with verbals, but that was a one-off with Steve Waugh.

PakPassion.net : It seems remarkable that you never lost your cool when bowling to Javed Miandad?

Curtly Ambrose :
I certainly had some interesting ‘battles’ with Javed. He was a wonderful cricketer. He was by no means the most elegant batsmen you will ever see but he made sure that you had to work hard as a bowler to get him out. He was a batsman who would frustrate me and no doubt other bowlers but I always had the utmost respect for him and his cricketing ability.

We never had any exchanges of words, there was a mutual respect between us. He would go about his business in his own way and I would go about doing what I was supposed to do and we never felt the need to exchange any harsh words.

PakPassion.net : Some bowlers seem to have a lot to say to batsmen. However it seemed that you were a bowler who never felt the need to sledge the opposition?

Curtly Ambrose :
I never felt the need to offer too much advice to batsmen when I was bowling. In fact I hardly felt the need to say anything to batsmen. Likewise the batsmen who were facing me didn’t have much to say to me either. I always thought that as a professional my job was to get on and do my job as a bowler and take wickets. With most of my opponents there was this mutual respect and admiration. However, when it was needed, sometimes a stare was enough to unsettle the batsman.

PakPassion.net : Pakistan has just completed its first international home series for nearly six years. Your thoughts on cricket returning to Pakistan and do you have any abiding memories of playing in Pakistan?

Curtly Ambrose :
It’s very sad that Pakistan has not been able to host international cricket for a number of years and has had to play all of its cricket outside Pakistan. Ideally, every team should be able to play cricket at home. I’m very glad that everything went well with the series against Zimbabwe and I hope that international cricket returns to Pakistan on a regular basis. I’ve had the pleasure of playing against some great Pakistan teams and brilliant Pakistani players like Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Inzamam-ul-Haq and it was never easy playing against Pakistan especially in Pakistan. My first tour of Pakistan was in 1990 when we drew the Test series 1-1. I went back there in 1991 where we won the ODI series 2-0 and then in 1997 where we lost that Test series 3-0.

I always enjoyed playing in Pakistan. The spectators would turn up in great numbers and they enjoyed seeing the West Indies team and they were very sporting crowds who appreciated good cricket from both teams and supported both teams. I’ve had some very good times in Pakistan and the memories of touring Pakistan are very fond ones.

PakPassion.net : What’s more difficult, playing cricket or coaching?

Curtly Ambrose :
Coaching is a new experience for me, it’s totally different. I find coaching harder than playing cricket. When I played I believed so much in my ability that no matter what the situation was I believed that I could bowl my team to victory. However as a coach you are talking to the players a lot and advising them, giving them ideas and opinions, but at the end of the day once the players cross the rope and go onto the playing field there is nothing much you can do as a coach to help them. You can only hope that they implement the plans properly.

Curtly_Ambrose_cover.jpg

Last edited:
PakPassion.net : What do you feel are the key qualities that a successful fast bowler needs to have?

Curtly Ambrose : It’s a combination of things. First of all you have to love bowling and you have to love bowling fast. If you don’t love it, you won’t work as much as you need to. Then you also have to be prepared to work hard. Make no mistake, fast bowling is hard work, it’s not easy.

A lot of people talk about seam and swing and variation are good qualities to have as a fast bowler and qualities that you need to have to be a rounded fast bowler, but what one has to remember is that the basic foundation of becoming a great fast bowler is to be able to consistently bowl a good line and length and put the ball in the right areas. If you have pace and can swing the ball and seam the ball but cannot put the ball in the right areas, then nothing will work and your pace is of no use. As a fast bowler you have to learn to be able to put the ball in the right areas before you learn anything else and everything else after that will make you a more rounded fast bowler.

:sami = I don't understand!

What I saw of him he was never in the same league as Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis though. Shoaib Akhtar cannot be compared to Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis as they were in a different league when it came to fast bowling.

damn right!

quoted for the truth

Love the guy, cool as hell but you don't want to be facing him at his peak. One of the most intimidating bowlers in cricketing history.

He makes valid points about the quality of pitches, but pitches in Pakistan haven't historically been conducive to pacers and yet Pakistan were able to produce guys like Imran, Sarfraz Nawaz, Wasim and Waqar ?

It could be that its much tougher being a fast bowler in today's heavily batsmen-orientated game and with the sheer volume of cricket its harder to stay fit and bowl at 85/90+mph. We see guys like Shaun Tait retiring early and just playing T20s.

Kids are growing today watching the IPL thinking why the hell do I want to be a fast bowler getting whacked around when I can earn millions hitting fours and sixes.

I liked the interview, thank you MiG. The photo is great as well, it really captures what Curtly Ambrose was all about. Fearsome!

I liked the interview, thank you MiG. The photo is great as well, it really captures what Curtly Ambrose was all about. Fearsome!

Saj did the interview (and can't stop talking about it :) )

Good interview with great questions! One of the most talented payers ever to grace the game!!!

How does a regular forum manage to get interviews with these cricketers?

Great interview nonetheless.

it is my greatest regret that I didn't see him, Holding, Imran Khan, Thompson and Marshall live

lovely interview, well done pakpassion, really superb work.

i have massive admiration for ambrose, he is one of my all time favourite bowlers to watch - what a fantastic man.

Still remember the headline from the late 80's when he blew england away..."Ambrosed".

Really cool cricketer

Great stuff. Didn't say a single thing that I would disagree with.

How does a regular forum manage to get interviews with these cricketers?

Great interview nonetheless.

Lol. There is a reason Pakpassion is the best, bar none.

Brilliant interview, remember watching a cricket legends programme on skysports not to long ago on curtley, to me hes one of the best fast bowlers of all time, very rarely did any batsmen dominate him when it came to head to head duals. When he was bowling at his best he was unplayable and brutal the 7-1 spell against Australia been one spell that sticks in mind straight away.

Also enjoyed how he demolished englands batting line up again and again.

One of the great bowlers of his generation, Curtly Ambrose said that he was happy with the successful staging of Zimbabwe tour in Pakistan, and said he was hopeful about international cricket returning to the country on a regular basis.

Speaking at the launch of his book 'Curtly Ambrose - Time to Talk', the West Indian legend said that it was very sad that Pakistan has not been able to host international cricket for a number of years and had to play all of its cricket outside Pakistan, insisting that every team should be able to play cricket at home, PakPassion reported.

Remembering the old times, Ambrose said it was always very enjoyable playing in Pakistan as the spectators turned in huge numbers and they enjoyed seeing the West Indies team and they were very sporting crowds who appreciated good cricket from both teams and supported both teams.

He also said that he had the pleasure of playing against some great Pakistan teams and brilliant Pakistani players like Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Inzamam-ul-Haq and it was never easy playing against Pakistan especially in Pakistan.

Recently, Zimbabwe became the first international team to tour Pakistan since 2009, after terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team, killing six people and leaving eight players injured.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/2015/fullnews-67464.html

Shoib wasn't even 50% of the bowler 2 Ws were.. He couldn't swing, reverse or bowl perfect Yorkers or bouncers that would completely unsettle the batsmen..

The hate Akhtar is receiving.

Akhtar could not swing the ball? Could not bowl perfect yorkers?

What about all those inswinging near perfect yorkers from Akhtar? Was that all an illusion? How many times we have seen Akhtar run through batting lineups in a span of 3 overs? Was it all fake?

Wasim and Waqar are great bowlers. No question. Only issue with Akhtar was his poor fitness.

Waqar relied on sheer pace as much as Alhtar. Once Waqar lost his pace after 3 or 4 years of his debut, he was no threat. He was a good bowler, but not great.

What about all those inswinging near perfect yorkers from Akhtar? Was that all an illusion?
How many times we have seen Akhtar run through batting lineups in a span of 3 overs? Was it all fake?

Wasim and Waqar are great bowlers. No question. Only issue with Akhtar was his poor fitness.

Waqar relied on sheer pace as much as Alhtar. Once Waqar lost his pace after 3 or 4 years of his debut, he was no threat. He was a good bowler, but not great.

Why don't you school Curtly Ambrose on that one? Apparently he is a "hater"..

Always enjoyed watching Curtly bowl. He was scary even from the living room and on telvision, imagine what it must have been like for the batsmen who were facing him.

He wasundoubtedly one of the most intimidating bowlers in the history of cricket.

It was very rare to see him hit around by any batsman.

Very nice words from Curtly about Pakistani cricket and some of its players and an absolute pleasure interiewing him.

Great bowler and a person.
Athers will tell better how was it to face new ball from Walsh and Ambrose :ehh

Rated as one of the greatest fast bowlers of his generation, Sir Curtly Ambrose took 405 Test wickets at a remarkable average of 20.99. Armed with pace and accuracy which when allied with his 6 feet 7 inches frame, made Ambrose undoubtedly one of the toughest bowlers to face. In an international career lasting twelve years, the Antiguan fast bowler was responsible for many a destructive spell of bowling, including two stand out performances of 6 for 24 that saw England bowled out for 46 in Trinidad in 1994, and his series-clinching burst of 7 for 1 against Australia at the WACA in 1993.

Recently visiting England to launch his book, "Curtly Ambrose – Time to Talk", fifty-one year old Ambrose spoke to PakPassion.net on a number of topics including his views on Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, the decline in fast bowling resources in West Indies and Pakistan, the "Waugh Incident", Shoaib Akhtar and the return of international cricket to Pakistan.

curtlyambrose.jpg

PakPassion.net : Who or what inspired you to become a fast bowler?

Curtly Ambrose : It was because of my mother that I became a cricketer and fast bowler. She is the one who influenced me and really forced me into becoming a cricketer. My mother is a cricket fanatic and she always wanted a cricketer in the family. My mother was the driving force behind my playing cricket locally and then professionally.

Curtly Ambrose : It’s a combination of things. First of all you have to love bowling and you have to love bowling fast. If you don’t love it, you won’t work as much as you need to. Then you also have to be prepared to work hard. Make no mistake, fast bowling is hard work, it’s not easy.

PakPassion.net : Your thoughts on Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, two of the all-time great fast bowlers from Pakistan?

Curtly Ambrose : Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were indeed two great fast bowlers, that goes without saying. They could bowl very quick when they wanted to, they swung the ball at will and they could seam the ball too. They were more than a handful for any batsman and they worked extremely well together as a pair which is so important in any team. When a team has two quality bowlers like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis then that opponent becomes very dangerous.

Wasim Akram is one of my all-time favourite bowlers and any team that I would select comprising of the world’s best cricketers, Wasim Akram has to be in it. I’ve seen Wasim Akram do things with a cricket ball that people like me and others cannot really do. He was such a great bowler and I have a lot of admiration and respect for him.

PakPassion.net : Shoaib Akhtar’s cricket career could be described as a roller-coaster ride. What are your thoughts on Akhtar and how his career developed?

Curtly Ambrose : Shoaib Akhtar was probably the quickest of them all, that goes without saying. What I saw of him he was never in the same league as Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis though. Yes he was very quick, he was different, he relied a lot on his pace but he wasn’t able to swing or seam the ball as much as Wasim and Waqar and if his pace wasn’t working then he didn’t have too much to fall back on. Shoaib Akhtar cannot be compared to Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis as they were in a different league when it came to fast bowling.

PakPassion.net : Pakistan and West Indies have always had the ability to produce great fast bowlers but that ability seems to be diminishing. Why do you think that is?

Curtly Ambrose : One of the biggest problems is that pitches in both countries are not conducive to fast bowling and that discourages cricketers from wanting to bowl fast. The pitches in the Caribbean have deteriorated so much that they are not helping fast bowlers at all. We still have a lot of talented cricketers and fast bowlers in the Caribbean and I believe that once we start to produce better quality pitches, then that will encourage fast bowlers more and we will see better results as far as producing fast bowlers is concerned. At the moment the pitches are very low and slow and as a result of this, our regional first-class competition has been dominated for a number of years by spinners. We need to prepare better quality and quicker pitches in the Caribbean and I guess it’s a similar situation in Pakistan. If you produce good pitches, that produces better cricket and good cricketers.

PakPassion.net : When you bowled for West Indies you were a fearsome sight. How many of your battles in international cricket do you believe were won in the mind?

Curtly Ambrose : I don’t think I put fear into the opposition batsmen around the world, that certainly wasn’t the intention. The thing with me is I am a highly competitive individual and it’s all about my team. For all the years that I played cricket with Courtney Walsh whenever we bowled well it automatically lifted the team, so our role as bowlers was very important to the West Indian team. Yes we are tall men who could bowl pretty quick and we could generate extra bounce, so it was never easy for batsmen to negotiate Courtney and I. However some batsmen negotiated us, but they had to be at their best to come out on top against us. When a batsman made a hundred against us, you knew for sure they have earned those runs. Perhaps some batsmen were intimidated but I can definitely say we never made it easy for batsmen and they knew they had been in a battle against us.

PakPassion.net : Speaking of Courtney Walsh, you and him certainly formed a fantastic partnership didn't you?

Curtly Ambrose : It was a real pleasure bowling alongside Courtney. We worked well as a pairing and I feel that like batting partnerships, it's important that as bowlers you hunt in pairs. We backed each other, we helped each other when things got tough and we pushed each other to perform. Our thinking was very similar when it came to cricket and I was very lucky to have him around during my career.

PakPassion.net : Your celebration when you took a wicket was very passionate and almost unique. What was going through your mind when you took a wicket?

Curtly Ambrose : I have no idea what was going through my mind, it was just a blur. I was that pumped up and in the zone that I was just so elated when I took a wicket. It was just sheer joy. When I was on the field I was in the zone and my focus was just on taking wickets and nothing could change that.

PakPassion.net : The Steve Waugh incident is well documented in your autobiography. Were there any other times when you lost your temper out in the middle?

Curtly Ambrose : That was probably the only time in my career that I got really angry. There were moments when I got upset with players during my career but never to the point where I lost my cool to the extreme that I did with Steve Waugh. I was always somebody who preferred to let the ball do the talking for me even when I was upset with a batsman. I didn’t play my cricket like that with verbals, but that was a one-off with Steve Waugh.

PakPassion.net : It seems remarkable that you never lost your cool when bowling to Javed Miandad?

Curtly Ambrose : I certainly had some interesting ‘battles’ with Javed. He was a wonderful cricketer. He was by no means the most elegant batsmen you will ever see but he made sure that you had to work hard as a bowler to get him out. He was a batsman who would frustrate me and no doubt other bowlers but I always had the utmost respect for him and his cricketing ability.

We never had any exchanges of words, there was a mutual respect between us. He would go about his business in his own way and I would go about doing what I was supposed to do and we never felt the need to exchange any harsh words.

PakPassion.net : Some bowlers seem to have a lot to say to batsmen. However it seemed that you were a bowler who never felt the need to sledge the opposition?

Curtly Ambrose : I never felt the need to offer too much advice to batsmen when I was bowling. In fact I hardly felt the need to say anything to batsmen. Likewise the batsmen who were facing me didn’t have much to say to me either. I always thought that as a professional my job was to get on and do my job as a bowler and take wickets. With most of my opponents there was this mutual respect and admiration. However, when it was needed, sometimes a stare was enough to unsettle the batsman.

PakPassion.net : Pakistan has just completed its first international home series for nearly six years. Your thoughts on cricket returning to Pakistan and do you have any abiding memories of playing in Pakistan?

Curtly Ambrose : It’s very sad that Pakistan has not been able to host international cricket for a number of years and has had to play all of its cricket outside Pakistan. Ideally, every team should be able to play cricket at home. I’m very glad that everything went well with the series against Zimbabwe and I hope that international cricket returns to Pakistan on a regular basis. I’ve had the pleasure of playing against some great Pakistan teams and brilliant Pakistani players like Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Inzamam-ul-Haq and it was never easy playing against Pakistan especially in Pakistan. My first tour of Pakistan was in 1990 when we drew the Test series 1-1. I went back there in 1991 where we won the ODI series 2-0 and then in 1997 where we lost that Test series 3-0.

I always enjoyed playing in Pakistan. The spectators would turn up in great numbers and they enjoyed seeing the West Indies team and they were very sporting crowds who appreciated good cricket from both teams and supported both teams. I’ve had some very good times in Pakistan and the memories of touring Pakistan are very fond ones.

PakPassion.net : What’s more difficult, playing cricket or coaching?

Curtly Ambrose : Coaching is a new experience for me, it’s totally different. I find coaching harder than playing cricket. When I played I believed so much in my ability that no matter what the situation was I believed that I could bowl my team to victory. However as a coach you are talking to the players a lot and advising them, giving them ideas and opinions, but at the end of the day once the players cross the rope and go onto the playing field there is nothing much you can do as a coach to help them. You can only hope that they implement the plans properly.

Good interview. But some readers are using his comments about SHOAIB AKHTER in a negative sense to vilify him. Wasim Akram and Waqar Yunus and other fast bowlers may have better technique but we must realise that is SHOAIB AKHTER who made fast-bowling a thing to talk about. The roar of the spectators when Shoaib Akhter came steaming in was a sight never previously observed. Just with his sheer speed he won many matches for Pakistan

Just because you respect and appreciate the two Ws does not mean that you have to disrespect and make fun of Shoaib. He will always have his special place in Pakistani cricket. Maybe he was not handled properly.

Glenn McGrath and Curtly Ambrose, with their immaculate control and awkward bounce, are often categorised as bowlers in a similar mould. But Ambrose at his best seemed a more intimidating bowler. As Ahmer Naqvi recently commented, Ambrose's famous shake of the fist before delivery was a symbolic statement, redolent with intimidation:

"intimidation can also be the expression of an earned superiority, and there are few permutations of the human body that conveyed better the glower of Curtly Ambrose than the shake of the fist as he bowled. Divorced from the context of the game, it looked like someone winding up to land a punch, an act of gathering strength, before delivering it with great purpose."

I have never seen a more intimidating bowler; his stare and general demeanor was enough, he did not need a big mouth to get under the skin of the batsmen. Ridiculously accurate as well, and one of the few bowlers who were still at the top of their game when they retired. Absolute legend.

What about all those inswinging near perfect yorkers from Akhtar? Was that all an illusion? How many times we have seen Akhtar run through batting lineups in a span of 3 overs? Was it all fake?

Agree there. With a bowling average of 25 odd as a SC bowler, he is no mug with the ball. Waqar and Shoaib are similar type of bowlers, relying a lot on sheer pace. When Waqar lost pace (post 94), he too struggled and never returned to his pre-95 form. Wasim was a clear standout in terms of bowling skill. Waqar's career average is 23.56, between 1989-1994 it was 19.15 and after 1994 it was 28.13. No doubt that Waqar was heavily dependent on his pace to deliver.

An absolute honour to speak to one of my all time favourite bowlers.

Curtly Ambrose disappointed at losing West Indies bowling consultant job

"I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons, and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers," Ambrose revealed.

"I only learnt about it from head coach Phil Simmons on Wednesday [last week], and when he told me I said to him that I am very disappointed, because I never expected it, and I never saw it coming because he never gave me any indication he was going to let me go," Ambrose was quoted as saying in the Antigua Observer on Sunday (May 15).

Ambrose, who oversaw West Indies' World T20 victory earlier in the year and has been with the team for the last three years, revealed that Simmons replaced him because he was looking for someone more 'technical'. Ambrose felt the decision came as a shocker as he had made plans for the upcoming tri-series at home, involving Australia and South Africa and the subsequent Test series against India.

"I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons, and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers. So, I said to him well, if you knew I was doing a poor job, then you should have told me. He said no, I did a fantastic job, because I brought a high level of discipline to the team, and I have motivated the guys quite a bit... but he wants somebody more technical, hence, he is going for Roderick Estwick."

"I had high hopes for the tri-nation series and the Test series against India, because I have planned most of my stuff around those series. So, it came as a bit of a shock basically, but I haven't decided which direction I am going to take just yet. I'll just pause and give it a little time to think about it and decide where I want to go after," Ambrose conceded.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...ant-job?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Very Strange.

Why would you replace a performing coach who is world renowned fast bowler aswell and opt for a technical coach for international team ?

lol.

Them batsmen loved their toe more the Waqar thus surrendered him their wickets.

Cape Town - Legendary West Indies fast bowler Curtly Ambrose has slammed the "terrible" playing surfaces in the Carribean, saying it is one of the reasons the Windies' players are struggling at international level.

The West Indies have just returned home from a tour to New Zealand where they didn't win a single game across all three formats, losing the Test series 2-0 before being whitewashed 3-0 in the ODIs and then going down 2-0 in the T20Is.

The Carribean side have also struggled to produce fast bowlers like they have in the past, and Ambrose, who admits that he did not watch much of the games in New Zealand, blames the state of the pitches across the region.

Ambrose, who took 405 wickets in 98 Tests, told the Trinidad & Tobago Guardian: "A disastrous tour, nothing really went well.

"I'm just hoping that the players and the coaching staff can go back to the drawing board, do some soul searching and figure out a way to start winning.

"It is not so much about coaching, in my opinion, because the guys have got the skills. We just need the coaching staff to instil certain discipline, and passion and pride and commitment in order to get results.

"We need to get back to the days when we were the best team in the world where we had good cricket pitches, where there is a little bit in it for the fast-bowlers, a bit for the spinners and if you're a good enough batsman, you can score runs.

"The pitches in the Caribbean are terrible, and that's why when we go overseas and the pitches are bouncing, the players are all at sea. We need to get back quick, bouncy pitches in the Caribbean."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/ambrose-slams-terrible-caribbean-pitches-20180110

The finest bowler of his time. An average of below 21, unbelievable.The only other bowler who can give him a run for his money is the great Glenn McGrath.

Good interview. But some readers are using his comments about SHOAIB AKHTER in a negative sense to vilify him. Wasim Akram and Waqar Yunus and other fast bowlers may have better technique but we must realise that is SHOAIB AKHTER who made fast-bowling a thing to talk about. The roar of the spectators when Shoaib Akhter came steaming in was a sight never previously observed. Just with his sheer speed he won many matches for Pakistan

Just because you respect and appreciate the two Ws does not mean that you have to disrespect and make fun of Shoaib. He will always have his special place in Pakistani cricket. Maybe he was not handled properly.
Yea, a grand total of 178 Test wicket and a grand total of 46 Test matches in 10 years , a legend beyond words. Not the mention the second most disgraceful player after Mohammad Asif.

The late Tony Greig said it the best, that Shoaib has been nothing but an utter embarrassment to the game of cricket.

Fast bowling legend Curtly Ambrose reckons that a bowler cannot be taught to become aggressive as it’s a quality that one is born with.

Ambrose is widely regarded as one of the greatest fast bowlers to have played the game, having taken 405 wickets in 98 Tests at an outstanding average of 20.99.

“I don’t think you can teach a bowler to be aggressive – it has to be something within you. You can try but if a bowler doesn’t have it inside of him, it probably won’t work. For me it worked because I am naturally aggressive while I am competing. It naturally flowed for me,” Ambrose told Sky Sports.

The former West Indies cricketer said while he was naturally aggressive, Andy Roberts, another fast bowling great, advised him to assimilate it in his bowling.

“One of the things he (Roberts) mentioned to me was to always be aggressive, to always get under the skin of batsmen. That stuck in my mind coming from a great man like him,” he said.

However, Ambrose feels that if someone is good enough to make a statement with the ball, there’s hardly any need to sledge.

“…if you are good enough at what you do, you let the five and a half ounces (the cricket ball) do the talking for you. If you keep sledging, you probably aren’t any good. That wasn’t the West Indian way. Five and half ounces coming at you at 90mph is more than enough!” the 56-year-old said.

Having made his international debut during a time when West Indies team was brimming with fast bowling talent, Ambrose said he never got overwhelmed and always wanted to be the best

“When I first made the West Indies team alongside the late, great Malcolm Marshall, as well as Courtney Walsh and Patrick Patterson, I never wanted to be second. I am a proud person and wanted to be the best I can be,”Ambrose recalled.

“I quickly realised for most opposition teams they were probably thinking ‘Curtly is a rookie, so just see off Marshall, Walsh and Patterson’. I never wanted that and I was forced to learn quickly so I wouldn’t be the weak link in the chain. Because of my pride, that catapulted me to stardom,” he added.

Agree with Ambrose's assessment.

Pakistan team has this particular affliction that they have to be 'aggressive' - which sometimes translates into bouncing around the field, bowling unnecessary bouncers and taking uncalled for batting risks.

It works for a while until things, as they have tendency to do over the course of the game, go agains them - and suddenly they figure out this 'aggression' strategy is not working so good - and well, there was no plan B - so the entire team becomes listless till the end.

When you are taking wickets regularly, or tying the batsman up with good bowling, or beating the edge from time to time, or strategically have plans A and B in place, then there is no need for theatrics. The pressure will create all the fear in the opposition that this contrived aggression can never achieve. It also helps to have resources who can put the ball where it needs to be and the bat to ball with confidence.

Ambrose didn't have to do any theatrics, neither did the 2W's or Shoaib or even Saeed Ajmal. Babar Azam in batting doesn't have to play in the air to take the game to the opposition. When you are bowling well, the pressure shifts.

Don't think I have seen a player be so box office yet talk so little. He would hardly sledge yet you couldn't take your eyes off the screen when he was bowling. What a bowler.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🧢 98 Tests, 176 ODIs<br>☝️ 630 international wickets<br>🏅 2011 ICC Hall of Fame inductee<br><br>Happy birthday to legendary West Indies paceman, Curtly Ambrose! <a href="https://t.co/8OJRkw1pFe">pic.twitter.com/8OJRkw1pFe</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1308006564234747904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Happy birthday to the legendary <a href="https://twitter.com/ambrose_curtly?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ambrose_curtly</a>! &#55356;&#57224;<br><br>The famous sweatband incident: ft. <a href="https://twitter.com/ProfDeano?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ProfDeano</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/bowlologist?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@bowlologist</a> &#55357;&#56834; <a href="https://t.co/JP2tfhba4i">pic.twitter.com/JP2tfhba4i</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1307945910798708737?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 21, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ambrose was naturally scary. He didn't need to do any sledging to unsettle opponent.

Confident Ambrose applies for ECB bowling coaching job

West Indies fast bowling legend Curtly Ambrose has applied for the position of elite pace bowling coach at the England and Wales Cricket Board, the bowler confirmed on Wednesday.

According to the reports, should Ambrose get the job, he would be required to work with England’s emerging pace bowlers as well as with the senior team and England A squads.

“Yes, I have applied,” Ambrose told Sportsmax.TV, saying he was confident about getting the job.
“Anything I do or try to get involved with I am confident to try to do the things that I can.”

He said it was always his plan to give back to the sport of cricket that has given him so much during his illustrious career.

The 57-year-old former Antigua and Barbuda and West Indies bowler was employed by the West Indies in 2016 during their successful T20 World Cup campaign and has worked as mentor and coach for the Guyana Amazon Warriors in the Caribbean Premier League.

Ambrose represented the West Indies between 1988 and 2000 taking 405 Test wickets at a healthy average of 20.99, the lowest average among fast bowlers who have taken more than 400 wickets.

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/...-ambrose-applies-for-ecb-bowling-coaching-job

what about Malcom Marshall

With all due respect to him I think cricket reached its absolute zenith in terms of class, skill and competition in the 90's and it continued till around 2005. So I have a soft spot for players who played in that supremely compitititive timeframe and still came out on top of everyone else. Curtley, Mcgrath and Akram are my all time top 3 bowlers.

Confident Ambrose applies for ECB bowling coaching job

West Indies fast bowling legend Curtly Ambrose has applied for the position of elite pace bowling coach at the England and Wales Cricket Board, the bowler confirmed on Wednesday.

According to the reports, should Ambrose get the job, he would be required to work with England’s emerging pace bowlers as well as with the senior team and England A squads.

“Yes, I have applied,” Ambrose told Sportsmax.TV, saying he was confident about getting the job.
“Anything I do or try to get involved with I am confident to try to do the things that I can.”

He said it was always his plan to give back to the sport of cricket that has given him so much during his illustrious career.

The 57-year-old former Antigua and Barbuda and West Indies bowler was employed by the West Indies in 2016 during their successful T20 World Cup campaign and has worked as mentor and coach for the Guyana Amazon Warriors in the Caribbean Premier League.

Ambrose represented the West Indies between 1988 and 2000 taking 405 Test wickets at a healthy average of 20.99, the lowest average among fast bowlers who have taken more than 400 wickets.

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/...-ambrose-applies-for-ecb-bowling-coaching-job

Would Curtly be a decent fit as Pakistan bowling coach ? He's a Level 3 certified coach who unlike Waqar has a fair bit of coaching experience.

The greatest fast bowler of all time for me.

Ambrose was the best pacer I've seen in Australian conditions. That high arm action, his lengths and of course, height meant he was a terrifying opponent on those surfaces which had more pace and bounce than now.

His 7-1 is one of the ATG bowling spells.

Would Curtly be a decent fit as Pakistan bowling coach ? He's a Level 3 certified coach who unlike Waqar has a fair bit of coaching experience.

Is PCB looking to remove Waqar as well ? I haven't seen his name in news. Its only Misbah.

With all due respect to him I think cricket reached its absolute zenith in terms of class, skill and competition in the 90's and it continued till around 2005. So I have a soft spot for players who played in that supremely compitititive timeframe and still came out on top of everyone else. Curtley, Mcgrath and Akram are my all time top 3 bowlers.

McGrath was a trundler which is a fact :sarf

Brilliant interview, remember watching a cricket legends programme on skysports not to long ago on curtley, to me hes one of the best fast bowlers of all time, very rarely did any batsmen dominate him when it came to head to head duals. When he was bowling at his best he was unplayable and brutal the 7-1 spell against Australia been one spell that sticks in mind straight away.

Also enjoyed how he demolished englands batting line up again and again.

Didn't he get Atherton like 10 or 11 times dismissed in Tests?

McGrath was a trundler which is a fact :sarf

Mcgrath could bowl in the early 140's until 2003. Curtly has never been clocked higher than 140 kph in comparison. he may have bowled quicker in 88-93 but it was more the steepling bounce he generated. Interestingly, '93 onwards he wasn't a particularly good ODI bowler either and lost his yorker.

Does anyone remember how Ambrose used to celebrate his wickets? A pure joy to watch!

Fast bowling icon Sir Curtly Ambrose believes it will be difficult for the West Indies to unearth players with similar talents to those from the team’s glory days of the 70s and early 90s because the current crop of players has not grasped what cricket means to the people from the region.

The outspoken 57-year-old Ambrose, who took 405 Test wickets in 98 Tests between 1988 and 2000, was speaking on Talk Sports Live with Michael Bascombe in Antigua on Saturday when he made his stunning declaration.

“This is no disrespect to the players we have now because we have a couple of guys who have some quality in them and can become great but what we have to understand is that I don’t think we will ever see those great, exceptional glory days again,” said the towering Antiguan, who famously took seven wickets for one run in a devastating spell against Australia in Perth in 1993.

“It’s going to be difficult to find another Viv Richards, or a Haynes and Greenidge, a Brian Lara, Richie Richardson; you know, a Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, and the list goes on and one, Clive Lloyd.

“It’s going to be extremely difficult to find those quality players again.”

He believes this to be the case because the modern players have little appreciation for the legacy that made the West Indies great.

“Most of the youngsters we have now, probably don’t quite understand what cricket means to West Indians in the West Indies and abroad because cricket is the only sport that really unites Caribbean people,” argued Ambrose, who took 22 five-wicket hauls during his illustrious Test career.

“When we were the best team in the word, West Indians all over the globe could walk and boast about how good we are because we were the best, so it’s going to be difficult to see those glory days again.

“Yes, we can be competitive and climb up the ICC rankings and be a force to be reckoned with again, but those glory days, I don’t think we will see them again.”

For almost 20 years, the West Indies under the leadership of Sir Clive Lloyd and Sir Vivian Richards was the number-one Test and ODI team in the world. The team won the ODI (Prudential World Cup) in 1975 and 1979 but have not won the tournament since. The West Indies are now ranked eighth on Tests and ODIs and tenth in T20 cricket despite being the defending champions, having won the tournament in 2016 and 2012.

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/...ndies-won-t-ever-see-glory-days-again-ambrose

Fast bowling icon Sir Curtly Ambrose believes it will be difficult for the West Indies to unearth players with similar talents to those from the team’s glory days of the 70s and early 90s because the current crop of players has not grasped what cricket means to the people from the region.

The outspoken 57-year-old Ambrose, who took 405 Test wickets in 98 Tests between 1988 and 2000, was speaking on Talk Sports Live with Michael Bascombe in Antigua on Saturday when he made his stunning declaration.

“This is no disrespect to the players we have now because we have a couple of guys who have some quality in them and can become great but what we have to understand is that I don’t think we will ever see those great, exceptional glory days again,” said the towering Antiguan, who famously took seven wickets for one run in a devastating spell against Australia in Perth in 1993.

“It’s going to be difficult to find another Viv Richards, or a Haynes and Greenidge, a Brian Lara, Richie Richardson; you know, a Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, and the list goes on and one, Clive Lloyd.

He believes this to be the case because the modern players have little appreciation for the legacy that made the West Indies great.

“Most of the youngsters we have now, probably don’t quite understand what cricket means to West Indians in the West Indies and abroad because cricket is the only sport that really unites Caribbean people,” argued Ambrose, who took 22 five-wicket hauls during his illustrious Test career.

“When we were the best team in the word, West Indians all over the globe could walk and boast about how good we are because we were the best, so it’s going to be difficult to see those glory days again.

“Yes, we can be competitive and climb up the ICC rankings and be a force to be reckoned with again, but those glory days, I don’t think we will see them again.”

For almost 20 years, the West Indies under the leadership of Sir Clive Lloyd and Sir Vivian Richards was the number-one Test and ODI team in the world. The team won the ODI (Prudential World Cup) in 1975 and 1979 but have not won the tournament since. The West Indies are now ranked eighth on Tests and ODIs and tenth in T20 cricket despite being the defending champions, having won the tournament in 2016 and 2012.

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/...ndies-won-t-ever-see-glory-days-again-ambrose

WI took cricket as a way to 'stick it to the white man' who basically ruled cricket in the 70's and 80's. It's what motivated the islanders more than anything. I remember hearing about this in a documentary. Don't know if it was Holding who said it. That's what brought them the edge to compete. It became personal to them.
Curtly is right. The pride the Islanders took in their team is no longer there. They no longer compete to be the best and look at it as a sport to unite for but look at it just like any other sport.

"Believe He Can Go The Distance": Curtly Ambrose On Jasprit Bumrah Taking 400 Test Wickets.

Legendary West Indies pacer Curtly Ambrose believes Jasprit Bumrah has it in him to finish his career with more than 400 Test wickets if he can keep up his fitness. There are few doubts about Bumrah's abilities, but his short run-up and distinct action has raised questions on how long he can carry on, but Ambrose said that if the India fast bowler can stay strong enough, he can "go the distance". Ambrose himself finished his career with 405 Test wickets from 98 games and backed Bumrah to reach the milestone as well.

"India's got a few good fast bowlers. I'm a big fan of Jasprit Bumrah. He's so different than any bowler I have seen. He's so effective and I'm looking forward to him doing really well," he said in his 'The Curtly and Karishma Show' on YouTube.

Asked if he thought Bumrah is "potentially a 400 Test wickets bowlers", Ambrose said: "He is as long as he can remain healthy, fit and play long enough. He can seam the ball, swing it and he has got great yorkers. He's got a lot in his arsenal."

"So as long as he can remain on the park for a long period of time, I'm sure he can get up there," he added.

"You know in terms of fast bowling, generally it's about rhythm. So, you need to build up a good rhythm before you can deliver," Ambrose explained. "Bumrah has got a very short run up. He walks most of the way and maybe one or two or three little jogs before delivery. So, it simply means he may be putting a little more strain on his body but if he can remain strong enough, believe he can go the distance."

"It's just about him staying strong to accompany that short run up. If he can do that, I think he'll be okay," the West Indies legend said.

He also lavished praise on India captain Virat Kohli.

"I am a big fan. Virat Kohli's one of those guys that you would pay to go watch. He's so classy and easy on the eye. He's just a wonderful cricketer in all formats," Ambrose said.

Curtly Ambrose also said that in India's upcoming World Test Championship final against New Zealand, and the subsequent five-match series against England, the openers need to give the team good starts for them to post big totals.

"It's going to be very important that opening batsmen lay the foundation. If they lose one or two wickets pretty early, it exposes captain Kohli and the other guys in the middle order. If they do get a solid platform from the openers, I am sure it will make life a lot easier for the middle order and they can get to a good total," Ambrose said.

India on Friday announced their squads for the World Test Championship final, which is set to be played from June 18 in Southampton.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/jasprit-bumrah-can-go-the-distance-and-take-400-test-wickets-says-curtly-ambrose-2438309

such a legend; watched my first cricket match 1996 India vs WI (the way he just uprooted jadeja and sidhu it was scary as hell)

Best XI fast bowlers I watched

Ambrose
Walsh
Donald
Ntini
Mcgrath
Wasim
Md. Asif
Brett Lee
James Anderson
Shane Bond
Irfan Pathan (before he screwed himself; till 2006)

Waqar was downhill from 1998 onwards...

Curtly is right. Just focus on being in the Top Six, these constant comparisons to the 70s and 80s are too big a burden for any team to bear. Nobody will ever go unbeaten in Test series for 15 years, let alone the West Indies.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/9s683g" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Sir Curtly Ambrose:

"Pakistan always produces some great cricketers; Pakistan and West Indies are very similar in terms of the fact that they can blow very hot or very cold, so that will make this series very very interesting"

"Pakistan may relish these conditions as they are similar to what they have in Pakistan, so it will be interesting to see if they can really adapt to the conditions in the Caribbean"

Always enjoyed watching Curtly bowl. He was scary even from the living room and on telvision, imagine what it must have been like for the batsmen who were facing him.

He wasundoubtedly one of the most intimidating bowlers in the history of cricket.

It was very rare to see him hit around by any batsman.

Very nice words from Curtly about Pakistani cricket and some of its players and an absolute pleasure interiewing him.
Aggressive when bowling , but rightly very humble when situations wants him to be

We are either unnecessary aggressive ad bowled just rubbish at times (just in name of pace) ; or were soft bowler with no intensity to getting batsmen outs

We lack tall fast bowlers; which is a must in ODIs and Tests
Md. Irfan was good at times, but then he lost it all with age catching up

If I were in charge of PCB; I would have loved to hire some amazing cricketers (who want to work in Pakistan rather than hiring our politically backed ex cricketers who just create mess when given powers). These coaches will work at NHPC and travel with team only during high profile tournaments to evaluate performances of players who they worked with

Fast bowling coach : Curtly Ambrose

Batting coach : Someone from India (if possible) / Sri Lanka
(I am fed up with our type of batting approach in last 10 years , either we look for hacks , one match wonders ; or blockers.. we need a coach who knows how to build innings , how to pace it when needed;
Inzi/Yousuf/Younis are best candidates, but we know the politics that come with those appointments)

Spin consultant : Mushtaq Ahmed or Saqlain Mushtaq
Fielding coach : Steve Rixon (if possible)

Head Coach : Anyone except Misbah

Great bowler was Curtly no doubt at all. Had one of the best yorkers I have seen coming from such a high arm it would be difficult to play. Still remember him destroying the England batting line up one evening in the Caribbean. It would have been interesting to see if he would have been as good with a shorter height. Good to see him back in Cricket after spending some time in a Music group as drummer:cobra

One of the greatest fast bowlers of all time. Today, he is celebrating his 60th birthday. Happy Birthday to the Living Legend.

Curtly Ambrose :
Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were indeed two great fast bowlers, that goes without saying. They could bowl very quick when they wanted to, they swung the ball at will and they could seam the ball too. They were more than a handful for any batsman and they worked extremely well together as a pair which is so important in any team. When a team has two quality bowlers like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis then that opponent becomes very dangerous.

What an amazing tribute from a master himself!

Back