Sourav Ganguly or Graeme Smith, who is the better captain and better overall batsmen?

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
Both are brilliant batsmen and are very good leaders.

In tests I'll take Smith as player and captain.

In LO I'll take Sourav as player and captain.

Who do you rate higher overall as player and skipper?

Discuss

A very tough comparison:

Both had amazing test teams.
Both failed to win a world cup.

Smith was a better test batsman for sure.
Ganguly was a superior ODI batsman.

Ganguly has a bigger legacy as captain. So, I will give this one to Ganguly.

If we're talking Test cricket then there's no debate, either batsmanship or captaincy.

Smith resurrected a team in turmoil into a team that went over a decade without losing a series away from home. His legacy will live on forever, a captain who led from the front. The fact that all his centuries never came at a losing cost is testament to that. A great of the game who had to overcome obstacles to be the great that he was. To captain one of the most politicised country in world cricket is no mean feat. He's got my respect.

Last edited:
Graeme smith, because I didnt like Ganguly and Dravid biting their nails in matches against Pakistan in tense situations though it was very satisfying.

Smith was surely better in the test format. In ODI, I will take Ganguly.

I know in the OP I wrote who is better in each format but I want to know who in your opnion is the better captain and better batsmen with there odi,test, and icc tournament performances being taken into consideration.

Smith in tests, Ganguly in ODIs and Smith overall because the South African was a better test player than Ganguly was an ODI player.

Graeme Smith was the better captain in all formats. Smith was the better Test batsman. Ganguly was the better ODI batsman

Back