South Africa tour of Australia (2022/23)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
JOHANNESBURG: Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) National Selection Committee has today named the 16-man squad for the upcoming three-match Test series against Australia, which gets underway at the Gabba in Brisbane from 17 December.

ITEC Knights pacemen Gerald Coetzee has earned his maiden call up to the South Africa red-ball setup after impressing for his domestic team. The 22-year-old has garnered 40 wickets at an average of 28.82 and a career-best 4-47 in his 13 first-class matches thus far.

There is also a recall for Theunis de Bruyn, who last featured for the national side in 2019. The right-hander, who has 12 Test caps, has enjoyed success with the Momentum Multiply Titans in the CSA 4-Day Domestic Series with a first-class average of 41.83, including a title-winning 143 in the final round of matches last term.

Another key batter Rassie van der Dussen has recovered from the finger injury that cut short his tour to England earlier in the year and the subsequent ICC Men’s T20 World Cup to take his place in the squad, while Keshav Maharaj is cleared for the tour. The spinner sustained a low-grade groin muscle injury at the T20 World Cup in Australia and is currently undergoing treatment and rehabilitation.

Wicketkeeper Heinrich Klaasen replaces Ryan Rickelton – the DP World Lions gloveman, who played the last of his three Tests against England in September, has an ankle injury that forced him to be overlooked by the national selectors but allows him to still be picked by his domestic team.

Meanwhile, top-order batter Keegan Petersen is also unavailable for selection after sustaining a severe injury to his hamstring playing for the Hollywoodbets Dolphins in the CSA T20 Challenge final in Potchefstroom earlier this month.

The squad will depart for Australia on 01 December and as part of their preparation, Dean Elgar’s side will play an unofficial four-day match against Cricket Australia XI from 09 – 12 December at the Allan Border Field in Brisbane.

Proteas Test squad against Australia

Dean Elgar (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (DP World Lions), Gerald Coetzee (ITEC Knights), Theunis de Bruyn (Momentum Multiply Titans), Sarel Erwee (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Simon Harmer (Momentum Multiply Titans), Marco Jansen (Gbets Warriors), Heinrich Klaasen (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Anrich Nortje (Gbets Warriors), Kagiso Rabada (Imperial Lions), Glenton Stuurman (Gbets Warriors), Rassie van der Dussen (DP World Lions), Kyle Verreynne (wicketkeeper, Six Gun Grill Western Province), Khaya Zondo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins).

National Convenor of Selectors Victor Mpitsang said: “We are pleased with the group of players that have been assembled for this tour. I think the selectors now have a core group of Proteas that has been built and it is just about building on what we have.

“There is a welcome return for our vice-captain Temba after his injury and we are also happy to have Rassie back too following his finger injury in England. I am especially excited about our pace attack, which is no doubt growing in stature and strength.

“Overall, all the players selected undoubtedly have the ability to play at the highest level, and evidence of that is our standing on the ICC World Test Championship table. We are confident that if they play to their ability, we can challenge Australia in their conditions.

“We would like to wish the players well for the tour and look forward to an exciting and competitive series.”

South Africa Test Tour to Australia Itinerary

Four-day Tour Match

09 - 12 December

Cricket Australia XI vs South Africa – The Allan Border Field, Brisbane

Tests

17 - 21 December

Australia vs South Africa – The Gabba, Brisbane

26 - 30 December

Australia vs South Africa – MCG, Melbourne

04 - 08 January

Australia vs South Africa – SCG, Sydney

Proteas and Dafabet Warriors bowler Glenton Stuurman has been ruled out of South Africa’s upcoming Test tour to Australia after sustaining an injury in the latest round of the CSA 4-Day Domestic Series over the weekend.

The 30-year-old suffered an abdominal muscle strain against the Hollywoodbets Dolphins at St George’s Park in Gqeberha and has been ruled out for six weeks.

Momentum Multiply Titans bowler Lizaad Williams has been called up to replace Stuurman.

Dean Elgar (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (DP World Lions), Gerald Coetzee (ITEC Knights), Theunis de Bruyn (Momentum Multiply Titans), Sarel Erwee (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Simon Harmer (Momentum Multiply Titans), Marco Jansen (Dafabet Warriors), Heinrich Klaasen (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Anrich Nortje (Dafabet Warriors), Kagiso Rabada (DP World Lions), Rassie van der Dussen (DP World Lions), Kyle Verreynne (wicketkeeper, Six Gun Grill Western Province), Lizaad Williams (Momentum Multiply Titans), Khaya Zondo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins).

Proteas Test captain Dean Elgar is hoping that South Africa have learnt from their experiences in England and expects them to do better during their tour to Australia starting later this month.

The squad leave OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg on Thursday for the three-Test trip that begins with a warm-up fixture against a Cricket Australia XI next Friday in Brisbane, before the first Test against the hosts at the Gabba on December 17.

The South Africans are currently second on the ICC World Test Championship table and will be hoping for some good results in order to maintain their hopes of reaching the five-day final in London next June.

It will be the first time the Proteas play red-ball cricket since their 2-1 series defeat to England on their own turf earlier this year – a tour in which an inexperienced batting line-up struggled in difficult conditions.

“We had a really rough series in England, the conditions were obviously very bowler-friendly and in favour of the bowlers,” Elgar told the media at DP World Wanderers Stadium before departing. “So I think a lot of guys were maybe exposed to the really harsh conditions of Test cricket, which is sometimes not a bad thing even though the series didn't go in our favour.

“The exposure for those younger batters was a massive positive for us going forward from a learning point of view. I mean you've got to learn from your failures and that's the way I view it that we've learnt from the England series.”

The South African captain is also looking forward to the opportunity of playing on more batter friendly wickets in Australia.

He continued: “Going to Australia it is a bit more of a fairer competition between bat and ball where the wickets they produce are generally very good cricket wickets. Well, I'm hoping so at least.

“In saying that, Test cricket's always going to be tough. Australia comes with different external pressures off the field with certain things you have to be mindful of but with regards to playing your cricket in Australia you need to still implement your basics and I think you have to master your basics purely because the wickets produced are pretty good and the balance between bat and ball is pretty even.”

It is also the first series for South Africa since the departure of Mark Boucher as head coach with Malibongwe Maketa named as interim coach for the trip. Three years ago the Proteas experienced a similar scenario when they went to India and lost to the hosts.

Elgar was asked about that trip, but responded by saying that this group of players was much better prepared compared to that one.

“I think the environment has changed drastically, in a good way,” he added. “I think we've tried to keep our core players with regards to our senior players that we've had so I think the consistency around that has always been a stable one.

“In those two or three years that have passed, it's also good to have a team that is going through a small transition and we've been able to blood a few players along the way and give them their exposure into Test cricket and what Test cricket is about.

“So I think since 2019 we've evolved immensely in a good natured way. We've played really good Test cricket. We're still trying to push for the consistency, which is going to be important going into a big series Down Under,” Elgar concluded.

Dean Elgar (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (DP World Lions), Gerald Coetzee (ITEC Knights), Theunis de Bruyn (Momentum Multiply Titans), Sarel Erwee (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Simon Harmer (Momentum Multiply Titans), Marco Jansen (Dafabet Warriors), Heinrich Klaasen (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Anrich Nortje (Dafabet Warriors), Kagiso Rabada (DP World Lions), Rassie van der Dussen (DP World Lions), Kyle Verreynne (wicketkeeper, Six Gun Grill Western Province), Lizaad Williams (Momentum Multiply Titans), Khaya Zondo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins).

"Going To Be Pretty Feisty": Dean Elgar On Upcoming Test Series Against Australia

South Africa Test captain Dean Elgar sounded confident and aggressive for the upcoming dual against the mighty Australia. He said that the flamboyant Australian team will motivate them to perform out of their skin. The coherent Proteas look forward to clinching their fourth successive Test series win in Australia. South Africa will tour Down Under to play three-match Test series then followed by three ODIs later this month. Both teams will lock horns since the infamous 'Sandpaper gate controversy' which occurred in the 2018 home series. After readmission, South Africa drubbed the Kangaroos to register their first-ever series win at home.

Before departure, the skipper asserted that he is wary of the fact that they will be playing in pacy, bouncy and hostile conditions. He further emphasized the brand of cricket Australia plays. These guys are fierce and ferocious and will keep coming at you hard. The series will be like playing fire with fire. We as a unit will have to keep a cool head and enjoy the confrontations as it drives us to perform at our best.

"Because we are playing in their home conditions, it's going to be pretty feisty," Dean Elgar was quoted by ESPNCricinfo, ahead of South Africa's departure on Thursday.

"The individuals they have within their squad are pretty brash and bold - in your face kind of characters and that can work in our favour. I think that plays into our hands. We enjoy that confrontation as a group and we manage it pretty well. We've got calm heads around that. If they want to be in your face, it's fine. I definitely don't shy away from that and I will be encouraging the players not to shy away from that, because I think that's when South Africans bring out their best," said Elgar.

South Africa occupied the second spot in the World Test Championship rankings. The present team is in a much better state than the Faf du Plessis' in 2018. Somewhat the team comprises of same players who toured India in 2019 along with provisional team director. Quite identical this side too has a stand-in coach with challenging assignment up his sleeve.

The left-handed batsman is excited to play the famous Boxing Day Test. He said as a child I would be up early to watch Boxing Day Test cricket Down Under. Now we (the South Africa team) will be part of this exhilarating experience.

"Growing up as a kid, you'd always wake up for these Boxing Day Test matches Down Under and you don't mind losing a few hours' sleep. Now we've got 16 players who are going to experience it first-hand," described Elgar.

Perhaps, this is going to be the most impactful Test series for South Africa until they host Australia in 2026. Deprived of ICC titles South Africa will go all guns blazing to win in Australia to establish WTC final berth. This is the perfect opportunity for first-timers to witness the dazzling festive season at the iconic venues of MCG and SCG.

The first Test begins on December 17 at the Gabba in Brisbane.

NDTV

"Wasn't Up To Scratch": Kagiso Rabada Hopes For Test Turnaround In Australia

Kagiso Rabada, who concluded the T20 World Cup as South Africa's most expensive bowler and with the fewest wickets among their frontline quicks, has admitted that he "wasn't up to scratch." South Africa pacer attributed the performance decline to exhaustion and claimed that attempting to fight through the fatigue had the opposite result of what he had intended. "I am not one to make any excuses - I wasn't up to scratch, I had a disappointing tournament. I didn't feel that great in terms of energy. I still tried my best but I felt like the harder I tried, it just wasn't coming out," he said ahead of South Africa's departure for their three-match Test series in Australia.

"You can feel it in the intensity of your play. Your intensity is not where you want it to be, and it catches up with you over time. Playing international cricket, you want to be rather high-intensity more often than not," Rabada added.

Only Keshav Maharaj has bowled more overs than Rabada despite the fact that he has only participated in 26 of South Africa's 39 games across all forms so far this year. In addition, he participated in 13 IPL games but not in any other T20 competition. Prior to the Australia trip, Rabada was also excused from participating in any domestic first-class games as part of his workload management. He agreed with that decision because he "felt like I needed to rest".

"It is a concern with the amount of cricket that's being played. It needs to be managed. There need to be planning to be made accordingly," he said.

"If it's happened twice [after the group-stage exit in 2021 too], it's something that seriously needs to be considered. That's what I have realised, and [the] management have realised as well. We need to come up with some plans - not just for me, but for all players," Rabada said.

Australia pitches are renowned for their speed and bounce, but Rabada said they are "not sure what to anticipate" and that he thinks they would be bowler-friendly after Australia declared on 598 for 4 against West Indies in their season-opening Test in Perth.

"In Australia, you get some bounce. They are good wickets, but you generally get a bit of nip. It can swing at times, but not too much. The bounce and the pace is your ally. But at the same time, they are good wickets to bat on because the bounce is so true. I am excited to play some cricket, and to test myself," he said.

NDTV

A century by captain Dean Elgar helped the Proteas make a positive start to their tour to Australia with a strong performance on the opening day of their only warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI in Brisbane starting on Friday.

After winning the toss and batting at The Allan Border Field, the South Africans reached the close on 335 for seven with the skipper leading from the front with his 109 (186 balls, 9 fours). There was also an attacking unbeaten half-century from Kyle Verreynne, who struck a free-flowing 76 off 86 balls (13 fours, 1 six).

There were starts from several other batters too, with 25 coming from the bat of Sarel Erwee, 27 by the fit again Rassie van der Dussen and 34 through Keshav Maharaj – the tourists ensuring they enjoyed a productive opening to the three-match Test tour in Queensland.

The match is not classified as a first-class game allowing for the Proteas management to give everyone in the squad a chance to play. Khaya Zondo (18), Theunis de Bruyn (13), Simon Harmer (5) and Kagiso Rabada (2*) were amongst the others to bat on day one.

Temba Bavuma, however, did not bat as a precaution due to discomfort felt in his left elbow. However, South Africa’s limited-overs captain is expected to bat in the second innings of the four-day encounter. The first Test of the series is scheduled to take place at The Gabba from 17-21 December.

Lungi Ngidi and Gerald Coetzee shared six wickets as the Proteas enjoyed another productive outing on day two of their only warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI at The Allan Border Field in Brisbane on Saturday.

The South Africans reached stumps on nine for none in the second innings of what is a four-day game having being bowled out for 347 at the start of the second day and then bowling out the hosts for 226.
It gave them an overall lead of 130 as they head into the second half of the game.

They had started proceedings by losing their last three wickets for 12 runs, with the impressive Kyle Verreynne eventually dismissed for 80 off 105 balls (14 fours, 1 six).

But the bowlers then impressed in their first outing of the tour when they restricted the home side to a deficit of 121 – only two batters amongst the opposition crossing 11. They were unbeaten centurion Campbell Kellaway (105 off 186 balls, 13 fours) and Jake Doran (78 off 105 balls, 9 fours, 1 six).

Everyone else struggled with Ngidi’s early wickets putting the CA XI under plenty of early pressure. The paceman, South Africa’s best bowler with three for 26, along with Kagiso Rabada (1/33) helped reduced the hosts to 25 for four, before the major partnership of the innings rescued the score to 168.

Marco Jansen (1/35) eventually ended that stand, with Keshav Maharaj (2/49) and rookie Coetzee (3/36) cleaning up the tail.

Captain and first-innings centurion Dean Elgar was unbeaten on six at the close with Sarel Erwee (2) alongside him.

The match is not classified as a first-class game allowing for the Proteas management to give everyone in the squad an opportunity for game time ahead of the first Test of the three-match series at The Gabba from 17-21 December.

Pat back as Smith zeroes in on Proteas
Set to hand back the captaincy reins to Pat Cummins in Brisbane, Steve Smith is looking to reverse his fortunes against South Africa this summer

While Australia's attack looks certain to regain its leading bowler in Pat Cummins at the Gabba, their leading batter Steve Smith is zeroing in on a South African pace brigade he admits has had his measure.

The Aussies are confident Cummins will be right for the first NRMA Insurance Test against the Proteas after the fast bowler bowled and ran at full intensity having sat out last week’s clash with West Indies due to a quad injury.

While Josh Hazlewood will not be available again until the Melbourne or Sydney Tests, Cummins moved well on Monday morning as he sent down six overs in an empty net at Adelaide Oval.

The right-armer is expected to be passed fit for the match beginning Saturday in Brisbane, pending a final fitness test later this week.

"Everything is on track, we're comfortable with where we he's at," said team physiotherapist Nick Jones. "No more pain, strength's in a good place, he's functioning at a high level. So he's good to go, all going to plan."

Smith, who will hand back the captaincy reins to Cummins after leading the 419-run rout in Adelaide, had also already turned his attention to the South Africa series even before the end of the two-Test campaign against the Windies.

The star batter had been in the Adelaide Oval nets a day earlier than Cummins, facing red balls a few hours before Australia went out to bowl with a pink one.

Smith is aware his batting average of 41.53 from nine Tests against the Proteas is his lowest for any side he has played at least three matches against.

"They're a really good attack so it will be a really good challenge for our batters. Hopefully we can continue the way we've started the summer," said the 33-year-old.

"South Africa are the one team that have bowled pretty well to me in the past, my record's probably not as good against them as some of the others.

"Some of the bowlers I'm going to come up against (have been challenging when) I've come up against (them) previously. I'm really looking forward to the series like everyone else.

"I feel in a good place, I feel like I'm batting nicely. I'm looking forward to it."

It is not only colour of the ball that will change this week. The speed at which it is delivered to Smith and the rest of the Australian top order will also be markedly different.

South Africa boast one of the quickest pace attacks in world cricket with Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi and Marco Jansen all capable of hitting speeds of 140kph, a mark a depleted Windies bowling group rarely reached.

But Smith suggested that could actually play into his hands.

"You just play what is in front of you," he said.

"Sometimes when you're facing faster bowlers, that can be easier to score than when you are facing 130 (km/h) and nibbling them around.

"That's the key to any attack, is having that variety so you're never getting into a real rhythm as a batter.

"South Africa provide that, they have Nortje bowling 150 (km/h), Rabada 140 to 150 bowling slightly different, then a left-armer in Jansen as well, and then a spinner in (Keshav) Maharaj."

Men's NRMA Insurance Test Series v South Africa

Dec 17-21: First Test, Gabba, 11.20am AEDT

Dec 26-30: Second Test, MCG, 10.30am AEDT

Jan 4-8: Third Test, SCG, 10.30am AEDT

Australia squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Lance Morris, Michael Neser, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner

South Africa squad: Dean Elgar (c), Temba Bavuma, Gerald Coetzee, Theunis de Bruyn, Sarel Eree, Simon Harmer, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Heinrich Klaasen, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Kagiso Rabada, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Lizaad Williams, Khaya Zondo

CA

Kagiso Rabada took two of the six wickets to fall on the final day of the Proteas’ only warm-up match against a Cricket Australia XI as the four-day game ended in a draw in Brisbane on Monday.

Having declared on their overnight total on 304 for eight, the tourists set their hosts a target of 426 and they reached 184 for six in 58 overs when the two captains shook hands before tea on the fourth afternoon.

Fast bowler Rabada had bagged two for 22 in six overs, with fellow pacemen Lungi Ngidi (5-1-9-1), Anrich Nortje (5-0-13-0) and Gerald Coetzee (6-0-13-0) also impressing. Peter Handscomb, captain and top-scorer for the home side, retired with 48, with the other two wickets falling to Simon Harmer (1/65) and Keshav Maharaj (1/37).

The match at Allan Border Field was the only warm-up fixture for the Proteas ahead of the first game of their three-match Test series that starts on at The Gabba on 17 December.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Australia name a strong 14-player squad for the first Test against South Africa as both teams chase a place at next year's <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WTC23?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WTC23</a> final &#55357;&#56394;<br><br>Details ➡️ <a href="https://t.co/vul4g1EGgj">https://t.co/vul4g1EGgj</a> <a href="https://t.co/OvUdrsJFRW">pic.twitter.com/OvUdrsJFRW</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1602443687929192458?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gabba Test to usher in one millionth fan for men's international season

Cricket fans have attended in unprecedented numbers to start the season, with day one of the first NRMA Insurance Test between Australia and South Africa at The Gabba to mark one million fans through the gates for men’s international games*.

Limited public tickets remain for day one, while tickets are still available in all categories for the remaining days of the Brisbane Test, which is the first match of a three-Test series between the two top-ranked teams on the ICC World Test Championship table.

The 86,617 that attended the Adelaide Oval last week was the highest attendance for an Australia v West Indies Test match at the venue in 40 years.

Over 991,000 fans have already attended men’s international matches across Australia for the 2022/23 season, which commenced with Australia’s three-game Dettol ODI series against Zimbabwe in August.

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup saw 751,775 attend matches, with Australian residents making up 89% of those ticket holders. In a further boost to the future of the game, over 150,000 children’s tickets were sold to World Cup matches.

All three of cricket’s formats continue to resonate, with the latest Nielsen research poll showing Test, ODI and T20I cricket all feature in Australia’s top five sporting competitions.

Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer Nick Hockley said:

“The response from fans to what has been an action-packed start to the season has been exceptional.”

“The success of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup has provided an incredible platform for the season and we’re delighted to see men’s international crowds trending upwards as we move into peak summer for our national sport.”

“The critical three-Test series against South Africa starting this Saturday will be played between two of the best teams in the world, adding to a long history of hard-fought contests. We look forward to the support of a passionate home crowd at the Gabba and encourage everyone to come along to be a part of it.”

Fans can purchase tickets to all international and BBL matches at cricket.com.au/tickets.

NRMA Insurance Test Series v South Africa
December 17 – December 21: The Gabba, Brisbane | Yuggara land
December 26 – December 30: MCG, Melbourne | Wurundjeri land
January 4 – January 8: SCG, Sydney | Gadigal land

*Does not include fans who have attended domestic competitions including Weber WBBL, KFC BBL, Marsh Sheffield Shield, WNCL and Marsh One-Day Cup this season to date.

BRISBANE: Proteas captain Dean Elgar has described the opportunity to play in Australia as ‘surreal’ and a ‘privilege’ as the first Test at The Gabba in Brisbane looms.

The two teams begin their three-match series on Saturday with the visitors hoping to build on their outstanding red-ball record Down Under where they have won their last three series.

Addressing the media at his pre-match briefing on Friday, skipper Elgar spoke about the significance of the series and what was needed to overhaul the Australians in their own country.

“(It takes) a lot of courage (to win in Australia),” he said. “You have to have the mindset of playing to win. It's kind of something that I've been speaking at length about within our group, within our squad.

“Australia's a really tough place to play cricket but it's also such a rewarding place to play if you can get things right. You've got to take your opportunities and that kind of ties in with general Test cricket around the world.

“Playing Test cricket in Australia is such a privilege and you've got to go beyond what you're used to. You have to actually savour the moment, it's massive, and the legacy and history with South African cricket and Australian cricket is so rich. And we're just another talented group that can achieve something great in the future.”

South Africa have little experience playing at the famous Gabba – the only time they played there post-isolation was in 2012 when they drew with the hosts. That inexperience there is a good thing, according to Elgar.

“I must say we don't have any dirty laundry when it comes to playing at the Gabba because we haven't played here yet,” he explained. “So as a group we're pretty fresh and pretty unique to the surroundings. The history here is obviously not in our favor and that's okay.

“We have a young group and also an experienced group, so I think the fact that we haven't had any failures here, it might work in our favor. So we're looking forward to the opportunity, it's almost like a surreal moment for us. We've been here for two weeks; we've been waiting a bit for this moment and we're looking forward to getting going.”

The Proteas batting has come under scrutiny in the recent past after they experienced a difficult time playing in tough conditions in England earlier in the year. Elgar admitted it was time for the batters to put up their hands up with strong performances in the series.

“I think all the batters have to stand up,” he added. “It's been a bit of a talking point that's surrounded our batting unit of late. Again I've never shied away from it and it's time for the boys to rise up. It's time for myself personally to really put my hand up and make a massive call and make a massive play for us.

“In saying that we have a really talented group, they're just a little bit inexperienced when it comes to Test cricket. But that's okay. They don't have a lot of baggage again coming into this series. They're massively talented and they just need to take advantage of the opportunities that come their way,” concluded Elgar.

"All Batters Have To...": Dean Elgar Ahead Of Test Series Against Australia

South Africa captain Dean Elgar has urged his batters to establish themselves, but he is also willing to shoulder the burden of scoring runs on his own shoulders. In order to continue their remarkable run in Australia, where they have won the last three series, South Africa will need to defy the callow statistics of their top order. The Gabba will host the first match, beginning on December 17, before the series heads to Melbourne for the annual Boxing Day Test.

The only experienced specialist batters in the nation are Elgar and Temba Bavuma. If South Africa's potent bowling attack is to have enough runs to work with, a great deal depends on them. However, Elgar's luck will probably be crucial to their hopes. He has scored 13 test century runs, compared to four by the rest of the touring team. The top batter in South Africa has a 38.83 average, but Australia has two batters who are over 60, Marnus Labuschagne and Steven Smith.

"All the batters have to stand up. It's been a bit of a talking point that's been surrounding our batting unit of late. Again, I've never shied away from that. It's time for the guys to rise up, time for myself personally to put my hand up and make a massive play for us. We've got a really talented group, they are just a little inexperienced when it comes to Test cricket. They don't have a lot of baggage coming into the series. They just need to take the opportunities when they come their way," ESPNcricinfo quoted Elgar as saying.

The only experienced specialist batters in the nation are Elgar and Temba Bavuma. If South Africa's potent bowling attack is to have enough runs to work with, a great deal depends on them. However, Elgar's luck will probably be crucial to their hopes. He has scored 13 test century runs, compared to four by the rest of the touring team. The top batter in South Africa has a 38.83 average, but Australia has two batters who are over 60, Marnus Labuschagne and Steven Smith.

Since then, Elgar has smashed two centuries against Australia, but there have been plenty of low scores as well, and his average of 33.55 is below his career level.

"We come from South Africa where the wickets are pretty green and juicy. From a personal point of I don't really shy away from that and I know our batters don't either," Elgar said.

"I always carry the weight of scoring runs, I'm the senior batter. With the external pressures of being the captain, I've got to score runs. Very much aware of that. It's always something I thrive on, think it brings the best out of me," the South Africa captain added.

NDTV

If SA batters can actually stand up and score big runs in Aussie conditions the series could be competitive, SA have more then enough bowling fire power to cause Aussie Batsmen issues. I hope its a competitive series.

Test series between Australia and South Africa have been the most entertaining test matches played between two teams since 2008.

South Africa were bowled out for 152 and 99 in the first Test in Brisbane to eventually lose by six wickets.

Rabada admitted that it was "frustrating as a team" to accept their performance in the first Test after poor totals with the bat dented their chances.

However, the South African quick pointed out that the South Africa batting line-up needs to be given time and called for "patience and understanding".

"The batting line-up that we have is quite inexperienced," Rabada said.

"In fact, the team that we have is relatively inexperienced if you look at other cricketing nations. Dean Elgar is our most experienced player followed by myself and Temba [Bavuma].

"I've played 50-odd Test matches and everyone else hasn't played much. It can get frustrating as well and when I say frustrating I don't mean to single out the batters, it's frustrating as a team and you almost have to understand that sometimes this is what happens in a rebuilding phase."

Rabada highlighted how he has been part of legendary South Africa line-ups in the past but said that it is unlikely that would happen frequently.

"I've played in a team in a star-studded line-up, where you are literally playing with greats of the game," Rabada said.

"I don't think that happens quite frequently," he said. "Now, the situation that we're faced with, there's a whole lot of players who have come in, who have the ability but need to get used to the international circuit.

"So, there needs to be an element of patience and understanding but at the same time, you can't advocate for bad performances. However, we're quite positive."

"If you don't have the belief, then I don't think we'd be able to go out and produce performances like we have."

"It's all down to belief and I think we have the belief. We will never go down without a fight."

South Africa are 0-1 down in the Test series but are still in with a chance to make the ICC World Test Championship final if they can claw back in the next two Tests and the following series against West Indies.

ICC

MELBOURNE: Proteas batting coach Justin Sammons has no doubt that South Africa can hit back and challenge Australia for series honours when the two teams lock horns in the second Test starting in Melbourne on Monday.

The tourists lost a low-scoring opener inside two days in Brisbane this past week, going 1-0 down in the three-match series.

It is not an unfamiliar position for the national team to be in after going behind in recent series’ against India and New Zealand, whilst also having to endure losing starts over the years against the Australians, before hitting back.

“Over the past year funnily enough we have played our best cricket when we have been behind,” Sammons told the media on Friday. “So I think the group's taken confidence in what we've done in the past when it comes to coming from behind.

“We came from behind in the series against India last December when we were 1-0 down and won 2-1. We did it in New Zealand when we were 1-0 down and we came back in the second Test there to draw the series, so it's not something we're afraid of doing.

“The boys are up for the challenge and we know we've done it before and we're confident we can do it again.”

South Africa’s top-order came under the spotlight after their poor showing in bowler-friendly conditions during that opening Test and also on the back of some below-par displays earlier in the year, but Sammons has backed the batters to come good as the series progresses.

“We've got to keep the belief and the players do have the belief,” Sammons explained. “We haven't played to our potential in the last couple of Tests and we are also determined to get it right. The guys are out there doing their best behind the scenes and I'm confident that they are going to get it right.”

Regarding the Australian attack, the Proteas’ batting coach said: “Each bowler also has their strength. We do speak individually about the bowlers and what they're trying to do to us.

“We know as a batting group that they are one of the best attacks in the world, if not the best with ours, and we have to be on top of our games, both defensively and in attack.

“When we get opportunities to score we've got to make sure that we take them and then defensively we've got to be in a strong position and commit.”

Sammons was also quizzed about the mental frame of the South African players, reiterating that they were not at all fazed by what happened in Brisbane.

“Not at all (we're carrying any fears after the pitch we had in Brisbane),” he added. “Both teams play on it at the end of the day and we can't use the conditions as an excuse.

“The bottom line is we didn't play to our potential and if we did, we would have had a better chance of winning the game. So yeah, the surface is for both teams to play on and it's who adapts best. They showed that in the first Test and we've got to make sure we correct that in this Test regardless of the conditions. “

The second Test begins on Boxing Day, December 26, at the MCG.

Australian men's Test squad for third NRMA Insurance Test against South Africa.

The National Selection Panel (NSP) has named the below men’s squad for the third NRMA Insurance Test match against South Africa in Sydney.

Australian squad for the third NRMA Insurance Test against South Africa:

Pat Cummins (NSW/Penrith Cricket Club) (c)
Ashton Agar (WA/University Cricket Club)
Scott Boland (VIC/Frankston Peninsula Cricket Club)
Alex Carey (SA/Glenelg Cricket Club)
Marcus Harris (VIC/St Kilda Cricket Club)
Josh Hazlewood (NSW/St George Cricket Club)
Travis Head (SA/Tea Tree Gully Cricket Club)
Usman Khawaja (QLD/Valley District Cricket Club)
Marnus Labuschagne (QLD/Redlands Cricket Club)
Nathan Lyon (NSW/Northern District Cricket Club)
Lance Morris (WA/Scarborough Cricket Club)
Matthew Renshaw (QLD/Toombul District CC)
Steve Smith (NSW/Sutherland Cricket Club) (vc)
David Warner (NSW/Randwick Petersham Cricket Club)

Josh Hazlewood is available for selection having recovered from a minor side strain while Mitchell Starc (finger) and Cameron Green (finger) have not been considered due to injuries sustained in Melbourne.

Starc is unavailable with a small fracture to his left middle finger. Green is unavailable with a fracture to his right index finger.

Queensland batter Matthew Renshaw and Western Australian spinner Ashton Agar have been included in the 14-player squad.

Selector Tony Dodemaide said: “Ashton offers a second spin option should the Sydney pitch be conducive to turn, as it has done in the past. He also brings a solid batting component.

“Matthew is included as a versatile batting option who is in good form, including an unbeaten century in the recent PM’s XI tour match against the West Indies.

“In terms of fast bowlers, it’s a blessing to have Josh (Hazlewood) returning while Lance (Morris) offers a genuine point of difference with his raw pace and skill.

“This squad will cover all bases for when we get to Sydney and assess the conditions closer to the Test match.”

South Africa will be without their middle-order batter Theunis de Bruyn for the third and final Test of the ICC World Test Championship series in Sydney against Australia.

De Bruyn will return home to South Africa for the birth of his first child and is set to miss the Sydney Test, which begins on 4 January 2023. The middle-order batter had come into the starting XI for the second Test replacing Rassie van der Dussen.

De Bruyn made 12 and 28 in the Test as South Africa's batters produced another unimpressive showing in Melbourne, where Australia romped home to an innings victory to seal the series.

The absence of de Bruyn leaves the door open for van der Dussen to return to the No.3 slot. South Africa could also ponder handing Heinrich Klaasen a return in whites three years since his Test debut in 2019.

There could be more changes in order for the Proteas after their crushing loss at the MCG. Keshav Maharaj hasn't taken a wicket across 43.5 overs in the Test series. Simon Harmer, who last played in England earlier this year, could return as the lead spinner.

Lungi Ngidi has also struggled for wickets, taking just two scalps across the two Tests. Gerald Coetzee, the 22-year-old seamer who impressed in the warm-up games, Lizaad Williams and Glenton Stuurman are the other quick bowling options in the squad.

Australia will aim to complete a 3-0 series sweep before they head to India for the final four Tests of their WTC23 campaign. A whitewash would all but seal their place in the WTC23 final.

ICC

<b>Theunis de Bruyn to miss final Test against Australia</b>

South Africa will be without their middle-order batter Theunis de Bruyn for the third and final Test of the ICC World Test Championship series in Sydney against Australia.

De Bruyn will return home to South Africa for the birth of his first child and is set to miss the Sydney Test, which begins on 4 January 2023. The middle-order batter had come into the starting XI for the second Test replacing Rassie van der Dussen.

De Bruyn made 12 and 28 in the Test as South Africa's batters produced another unimpressive showing in Melbourne, where Australia romped home to an innings victory to seal the series.

The absence of de Bruyn leaves the door open for van der Dussen to return to the No.3 slot. South Africa could also ponder handing Heinrich Klaasen a return in whites three years since his Test debut in 2019.

There could be more changes in order for the Proteas after their crushing loss at the MCG. Keshav Maharaj hasn't taken a wicket across 43.5 overs in the Test series. Simon Harmer, who last played in England earlier this year, could return as the lead spinner.

Lungi Ngidi has also struggled for wickets, taking just two scalps across the two Tests. Gerald Coetzee, the 22-year-old seamer who impressed in the warm-up games, Lizaad Williams and Glenton Stuurman are the other quick bowling options in the squad.

Australia will aim to complete a 3-0 series sweep before they head to India for the final four Tests of their WTC23 campaign. A whitewash would all but seal their place in the WTC23 final.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/3000355

<b>Opportunity To Try Few Things: Mark Taylor Advises Australia Ahead Of 3rd Test vs South Africa</b>

With the high-profile tour of India fast approaching, former Australia skipper Mark Taylor wants the Pat Cummins-led side to explore the option of playing with five bowlers in the third and final Test against South Africa beginning in Sydney on Wednesday.

The tour of India, comprising four Tests for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, will take place in February-March. Going into the final Test at Sydney beforehand, the hosts are holding an unassailable 2-0 series lead, providing them with an opportunity to explore few other options.

"They've got an opportunity in Sydney to try a few things. I know people say you shouldn't try things in Test matches, but with Cameron Green not playing, I'd really like to see Alex Carey bat at six and Australia pick five bowlers.

Because of injuries to Mitchell Starc and Cameron Green during their massive win in Melbourne, Australia have called up Matthew Renshaw and Ashton Agar.

"I think with the bowling they've got there, with whoever those quicks are going to be, you've got enough guys there to take the 20 wickets. South Africa only just made 200 in the final innings in Melbourne for the first time in four Test matches, their batting is very gettable at the moment.“

“Back yourselves in to make enough runs with only five specialist batters," Taylor added.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/opp...lia-ahead-of-3rd-test-vs-south-africa-3655060

Proteas captain Dean Elgar says pride and the opportunity to still qualify for the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) final are two major driving factors as they prepare to face Australia in the third and last Test of their series in Sydney starting on Wednesday.

The clash at the SCG is a dead rubber after the hosts won the first two matches of the series in Brisbane and Melbourne. All that the South Africans can now hope for is a consolation victory, although a win will also keep them alive in the hunt for a place in that WTC decider later this year. Elgar and his charges are presently placed fourth behind the Australians, India and Sri Lanka, with a win in Sydney for the home side guaranteeing a place in the final.

“There’s plenty to play for,” the Proteas skipper told the media ahead of the game. “We’re playing for pride, we’re playing for a potential place to the WTC final. So we've also got a lot to play for.

“That's a massive incentive for us and for me you play every Test match like it's your last and hopefully we can put on a better spectacle this time. We always want to play good Test cricket and be a thorn in the side of the opposition and we'll be aiming to so better again this time.”

South Africa has been disappointing with the bat throughout the series, especially the top order. Barring some exceptions like Kyle Verreynne and Temba Bavuma, Elgar believes the batters need to be far better in this game. Theunis de Bruyn will miss the match due to a paternity leave, meaning there will be at least one change to the line-up.

“You can't hide in Test cricket and the top five we obviously need to find a way to deal with and negate the demands of batting discipline in Test cricket,” Elgar explained.

“I think Kyle's been brilliant for us at six and moving him around I don't think is going to help us or help him at all and I don't think it's fair.

“I think our only batting options are with those two (Rassie van der Dussen and Heinrich Klaasen) by squad composition. Rassie has quite a bit of experience at Test level and he can bring a lot to the role and then you look at a guy like Heinrich, who’s immensely talented and maybe he's deserving of a chance now, an extended chance as well. We'll make those decisions this afternoon.”

The captain was also asked whether he had changed his perception about playing an extra batter instead of a frontline bowler.

He added: “I'm still thinking towards 6-5, but all options are on the table for us. To play seven batters would be a massive call for us and a massive ask for our bowling unit to obviously cover those four spots.

“The workload has been pretty hectic on our fast bowlers of late, especially in the last Test where they really pushed quite a few numbers with regard to overs bowled. To expect them to come into a Test match and only have four bowlers, potentially only three seamers, is quite a big ask for them.

“But the options are there, and we'll make those decisions by tonight,” Elgar concluded.

Back