South Africa v England | 1st test | Centurion | 16-20 Dec 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalil

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
The first test between South Africa and England starts today at Centurion, Pretoria.

There is usually a bit of grass on day one at Centurion and the first session on day 1 assists the bowlers. The wicket at Centurion starts getting flatter and more batsmen friendly as the game progresses.

The captain who wins the toss will more than likely field first .

Anderson does not look fully fit and still recovering from a knee injury.

I would absolutely love england to do well BUT on the other hand if South Africa cream england in this series I believe they will get that test number one spot away from those indians right?

If that is the case then come on south africa!

would like England take the series with Amla faring well. op; SA v Eng | centurion | etc ;-)

Last edited:
hasanb said:
I would absolutely love england to do well BUT on the other hand if South Africa cream england in this series I believe they will get that test number one spot away from those indians right?

If that is the case then come on south africa!

There is plenty of rain in Pretoria at this time of the year and many hours are likely to be lost because of the weather and so a draw is very likely.

Khalil said:
There is plenty of rain in Pretoria at this time of the year and many hours are likely to be lost because of the weather and so a draw is very likely.

Thats quite a shame...the whole series including T20s and ODIs has been blighted by rain so far, is there rain all over SA or could the scheduling of venues have been a better?

hasanb said:
Thats quite a shame...the whole series including T20s and ODIs has been blighted by rain so far, is there rain all over SA or could the scheduling of venues have been a better?

True , yet my part of the country is going through a drought.

saffer said:
True , yet my part of the country is going through a drought.

England win toss and elect to field as expected.

Dale Steyn out and de Wet comes in. De Wet got some real raw pace, probably quicker than Steyn and I am looking foward to see him bowl.

Can't wait to see Smith and AB bat. Saffers have an excellent batting line-up.

How are the conditions? If there is any movement Jimmy Anderson will be a real handful.

mindless slogging said:
Can't wait to see Smith and AB bat. Saffers have an excellent batting line-up.

How are the conditions? If there is any movement Jimmy Anderson will be a real handful.

The first session will favour Anderson with the wicket have a tinge of grass

should be one helluva series...2 fairly evenly matched teams

England have only chosen 3 pace bowlers for this test

Smith gone! Done the legside but the bounce has done him

Gabbar Singh said:
Khalil, have you guys had much rain in Pretoria over the last couple of days?

It's been raining in Pretoria almost every day and there is prediction for more rain on days 2 to 5

Broad getting good bounce and looking dangerous

I want RSA to win the test series 2-0 ... so that india will be thrown away from 1st position. :)

Great over by Onions.

Onions made Amla look like a potato

Morning folks. Why all thisd anti S.A sentiment? Are we the new Australia ?? Quite flattering.

BTW. Flawed system. How do India get to be number 1 when we beat them at home and drew against them away ?

saffer said:
Morning folks. Why all thisd anti S.A sentiment? Are we the new Australia ?? Quite flattering.

BTW. Flawed system. How do India get to be number 1 when we beat them at home and drew against them away ?

It is the BCCI rankings systems sorry ICC ranking system that is flawed

saffer said:
Yeah. India aren't even a good team.

Considering they have played 95% of their tests at home, you would expect them to rise to No.1.

What with test wins in Eng and NZ in the recent past only help to prop up their ratings.

saffer said:
Morning folks. Why all thisd anti S.A sentiment? Are we the new Australia ??

No, India are the new Australia.

Not only because they're number 1, but as much as anything because of what the BCCI is doing to the game they're now the team everyone now wants to see beaten. I think nowadays if India play SA, only India fans would be cheering for India.

Pretty even start to the test match, Not much assistance for quick bowlers so far.

A huge blow for S.A with steyn not playing though.

saffer said:

I usually would be supporting england coz I like england more than RSA but this time, am supporting RSA coz they can derail india from No 1 :)))

saffer said:

you lost your home series to Aus ?

Amla probably has the weirdest backlift in intl. cricket

Amla gone!

Onions really made Amla look like a Potato today

Kallis lucky to survive first ball and lucky Prince lucky the following ball

Luton Bad Boy said:
Yeah, next year in a tough 2-TEST series, where India can still hold onto their No.1 ranking...

hmm thats in India we have already played them 3 tests at home .

We'll know who's better next year. A two Test match series followed by an ODI series of three matches in India, then a three Test match series followed by an ODI series of five matches in S.A. Will give us enough idea on who's better.

Last edited:
England will be happy with situation at moment having put S.A into bat.

Guys - this a SA v Eng match thread - lets keep it that way?

Lunch: SA 70-2 offf 26 overs

Bell should have been dropped and Monty Panesar should have been recalled ,,,Broad can be use as All-Rounder he has ablitity to be good batsman as well.

Eng have no idea how to use Reviews!! No snicko..no 'hotspot' - and they want a caught behind overturned?

Theyve lost both their reviews

Ayyub said:
this would have given them two spin option wid left and arm bowling.

Why play two spinners against South Africa ?We're the best players of spin bowling in the world.

And the wicket did look green and under prepared yesterday, hence the extra batter.

saffer said:
Why play two spinners against South Africa ?We're the best players of spin bowling in the world.

Variation is always useful in these kind of conditions .

What on earth is AB doing? He ain't gonna end up anywhere near as good as Kallis (that I'd predicted the last time England toured) getting out to nothing shots like today.

Someone needs to give him the hairdryer treatment. The pitch has dried out and there seems nothing for any of the bowlers and he gifts his wicket. Advantage England I'd say. Kallis the key wicket now.

Just woke up...wow! Great test match cricket so far. Good crowd, high quality action. If the NZ v Pak series ebbed and flowed because of poor batting lineups, but even better bowling; this is going to be more of the same, but due to ability not lack of.

CricnPak said:
Just woke up...wow! Great test match cricket so far. Good crowd, high quality action. If the NZ v Pak series ebbed and flowed because of poor batting lineups, but even better bowling; this is going to be more of the same, but due to ability not lack of.

No I think this may be the complete opposite.

N.Z. vs Pak was the batsmen counteracting superb bowling.

This will be bowlers trying to counteract world class batsmen. The batting sides for both sides boast some superb players. Our series, it was the bowlers who were the highlight.

mindless slogging said:
No I think this may be the complete opposite.

N.Z. vs Pak was the batsmen counteracting superb bowling.

This will be bowlers trying to counteract world class batsmen. The batting sides for both sides boast some superb players. Our series, it was the bowlers who were the highlight.

That's what I meant to say...got a little excited.

they should have selected panesar instead of bell to add 5th bowling option in the side .

saffer said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Please. India and Pakistan are still the best at playing spin. Its funny how South Africa are the best in everything, yet when push comes to shove they choke when it matters.

Kallis on 94 - 9 overs left in the day and 22 minutes till closing time. New ball taken

Never really rated kallis as a test batsmen but hes done a job for S.A again.

That is why Kallis showing he is best in modern era and he is half decent bowler.....by end of his career he may be best batting allrounder in history of cricket.

Another placid track, pisses me off :pissed: But Kallis batted well, though... He batted so well that I fell asleep in the last session.

abdulkhan786 said:
That is why Kallis showing he is best in modern era and he is half decent bowler.....by end of his career he may be best batting allrounder in history of cricket.

May be ?

Already his record as an allrounder has no equal. Richards , Botham etc simply don't come close when you consider both batting and bowling averages and runs/wickets. There can be no reasonable case against Kallis being the greatest ever allrounder.

Amir said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Please. India and Pakistan are still the best at playing spin. Its funny how South Africa are the best in everything, yet when push comes to shove they choke when it matters.

It is funny eh ?

But it's true. We are the best at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back