South Africa v Sri Lanka | CT 2009 | Centurion | 22/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindless slogging

First Class Star
Runs
Well just over an hour to go and Cricinfo's headline is:
'Nearly men kick off nearly event'. I hope Smith and co didn't read that.

Anyway, Gibbs is out with Amla in. Apparently there is a toss-up between Parnell and Van der Meerve for the final place (not good as I've got Parnell in my fantasy team).

Ajantha Mendis looks to miss out for Sri Lanka.

I'm rooting for Smith, AB, Kallis, Parnell and Dilshan(fantasy team :D ).

Sri Lanka vs South Africa, ICC Champions Trophy, 2009: September 22, 2009
Venue: Centurion

Pitch and Weather:

Temperature: Min-25 C Max-31 C

Team Updates:

South Africa team
GC Smith*, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, MV Boucher†, JA Morkel, J Botha, RE van der Merwe, DW Steyn, WD Parnell

Sri Lanka team
TM Dilshan, ST Jayasuriya, KC Sangakkara*†, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, SHT Kandamby, AD Mathews, KMDN Kulasekara, M Muralitharan, SL Malinga, BAW Mendis

Last edited by a moderator:
If SA bat first - they'll win by 50+ runs
If SA bowl first - they'll win by 6 wickets

Easy win for the Saffers.

mindless slogging said:
Well just over an hour to go and Cricinfo's headline is:
'Nearly men kick off nearly event'. I hope Smith and co didn't read that.

Anyway, Gibbs is out with Amla in. Apparently there is a toss-up between Parnell and Van der Meerve for the final place (not good as I've got Parnell in my fantasy team).

Ajantha Mendis looks to miss out for Sri Lanka.

I'm rooting for Smith, AB, Kallis, Parnell and Dilshan(fantasy team :D ).
Parnell and Van der Merwe should both play IMO. Ntini should be benched.

Steyn, Kallis and AB :) Earn daddy some points :D

SA should win this barring something special from Jayasuriya to take the game away

Mendis should play, don't think SA have seen too much of him so could come unstuck.

This might not be as easy for S Africa as everyone seems to think, a potential banana skin as the saying goes.

I've got Duminy, Sanga, De Villiers, Jayawardene and Dilshan. Should be a win for SA this one, maybe a few hick ups, but a win nevertheless.

South Africa: 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Hashim Amla, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 AB de Villiers, 5 JP Duminy, 6 Mark Boucher (wk), 7 Albie Morkel, 8 Roelof van der Merwe, 9 Johan Botha, 10 Wayne Parnell, 11 Dale Steyn.

Sri Lanka: 1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (capt/wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Thilina Kandamby, 6 Thilan Samaraweera, 7 Angelo Mathews, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara, 9 Muttiah Muralitharan, 10 Lasith Malinga, 11 Ajantha Mendis

Should be a very good contest between two good sides.

Get your predictions in now folks, who will win and by how much?

I say South Africa by 4 wickets.

SKy a bit slow in showing the toss!

Nice weather - sparse crowd so far

I'm going to defy gravity and place my bet on Sri Lanka, but a close game nevertheless

Two spinners each in SA! Don't discount SL at any cost..their spinners are the best in the world at strangling the opposition to death.

If SL score anything above 270 they would be a with a sure shot chance to finish victors in a supposedly dry surface. The only factor that could deter them could be the dew, which I am not sure would turn up or not..

Not looking forward to Star/ESPN coverage or commentators - nor their graphics.

Sanga would be obviously very happy to bat first.He will go back to his SL game plan template.

Bat first and score a decent score. Then unleash the spinners and the part time spinners (Dilshan, Sanath) and the trundlers (likes of Matthews) to strangulate the opposition. Game on!

Would be interesting to see how SA face Mendis..

Oxy said:
Not looking forward to Star/ESPN coverage or commentators - nor their graphics.

Yeah, me neither. Do you know when the rights they bought expire? I hope Skysports can outbid them the next time around .

siccric said:
Yeah, me neither. Do you know when the rights they bought expire? I hope Skysports can outbid them the next time around .

You have to put up with them till the 2011 WC. They have the telecasting rights for the ICC events till then :akhtar

I got my money on Srilanka!!!! SA should have batted first because its difficult to face triple M threat when you are chasing.

Rizwan25 said:
I got my money on Srilanka!!!! SA should have batted first because its difficult to face triple M threat when you are chasing.

Well if Lanka make 280+ then SA will struggle and Smith can but thank himself for that.

But on the other hand if Lanka are blown away for under 250, then SA will be the favourites.

Here's a stat. The last four day-night games here all won by the team batting first.

Sri Lanka going at 8 an over.

z2_daredevil said:
i want srilanka to win but if south africa lose india will be number 1 again :(

Never mind, they wont stay at #1 for so long.
Pakistan and Australia will make it to the Semis InshaAllah.

12thMan said:
Here's a stat. The last four day-night games here all won by the team batting first.

Sri Lanka going at 8 an over.

Smith want to change the trend obviously

Omar Malik said:
Mohsin, Is that where you watching it?

Nah i'm not watching it anywhere atm. Haven’t got Sky and tbh i couldnt be bothered about the commentary (especially considering the English commentary team they've got bar Wasim of course!) so gonna subscribe to GEO later today probably (plus thats means i get GEO news also so i can watch Capital Talk lol!).

lol and i used to think that Dilshan was another Russell Arnold

Mohsin said:
Nah i'm not watching it anywhere atm. Haven’t got Sky and tbh i couldnt be bothered about the commentary (especially considering the English commentary team they've got bar Wasim of course!) so gonna subscribe to GEO later today probably (plus thats means i get GEO news also so i can watch Capital Talk lol!).

Yeah thats true! Is anyone else from Pak in the Eng commentary team? Rameez Raja, Waqar Younis etc;

Is Dilshan playing his usual "flash at everything see how lucky I get" type of game?

Good start by Sri Lanka here. The saffers looking rusty. Should have got a few games in before the tournament.

Omar Malik said:
Yeah thats true! Is anyone else from Pak in the Eng commentary team? Rameez Raja, Waqar Younis etc;

Nope, it just said Wasim from a Pakistan pov

Is this pitch like Jo'burg or something?

70-1 after 9.5

Parnell "the next big thing" copping a pasting.

Mohsin said:
Anyone watching on GEO?
you want to hear funny comments from there - don't you?

Dilshan 34(28) - Sngakkara 24(29)
SL 72-1 after 11 overs @ 6.54

Poison said:
Is this pitch like Jo'burg or something?

70-1 after 9.5

Parnell "the next big thing" copping a pasting.

Pollock saying the pitches are going to suit the asian teams as very slow. South Africa is coming out of winter and the hot sun hasn't had time to bake the pitches hard yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back