South African Choke(slam) still possible?

Suleiman

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Saffers have the Australians on the ropes, but given the typical South African mental toughness (or lack thereof), could they still cave in if Australia continue to fight?

I don't really rate Nevill but someone brought up the point earlier that he usually comes in when Aus have amassed a big lead already so he has to slog and gets out quickly. What if he holds out this time?

Heard Greg Chappell say earlier as well that he has seen Hazlewood bat and he is much better than a typical number 11.

Throughout my time I have seen Aussies never give up and fight until the referee counts to three.

Is a heist still possible? If it happens this will be an all time epic game with such troughs and crest.

Only 3 proper bowlers will be a big help.

No way. Theyre chokers but there's absolutely no way they're not winning this

One usually chokes when batting or fielding.

Here its kind of an impssibe thing

Kagiso is tired, and just laboring along and understandably so. Must be another aid to hold down the fort.

Will SAF deliver the ultimate chokeslam to Aussies on Australian soil?

Or will they choke?

No.

It will turn out to be a respectable defeat for Australia.
How will it be a respectable defeat? Their best bowler was out for the majority of Australia's first innings and he didn't bowl in the second.

They'd have to play another 35 odd overs to make this happen !! I don't even remotely see a possibility here, however if they do manage to hold out; this could go down as the greatest rear guard action ever in the history of the game.

They'd have to play another 35 odd overs to make this happen !! I don't even remotely see a possibility here, however if they do manage to hold out; this could go down as the greatest rear guard action ever in the history of the game.

From a commentator:

This is the longest 4th innings Australia have battled through, in terms of overs, since the 113.5 overs they needed to chase down 369 vs Pakistan in Hobart 1999. And before that 121.4 overs to draw a test vs England in Sydney in 1995. Their record is 165 overs (123.6 8-ball overs) to chase down 336 in Durban in 1950

Against 2 fast bowlers and a spinner on debut? :))

The only reason this has lasted this long is because Faf has had to wisely use Philander and Rabada.

He can't afford to overwork them and have them go down.

Last edited:
The Neville-O'Keefe blockathon against SL in Pallekele recently lasted for 29.4 overs. With 35 overs to go, it is unlikely but not entirely impossible.

How will it be a respectable defeat? Their best bowler was out for the majority of Australia's first innings and he didn't bowl in the second.

Was meaning that they will show a lot of heart (especially Neville) but ultimately lose in the end.

But yeah, must be demoralising this for the Aussies. South Africa came into the series without AB. All the talk about the racial quota weakening SA to go with it as well. Then Australia win the toss and skittle out SA for a low total on their traditional stronghold ground that is the WACA in the first match of the series. SA then get belted all over the park for 150 runs and to add insult to the injury, lose Steyn for the rest of the series as well. To find themselves in this situation must be quite demoralising for them.

First five overs after tea and the game will be finished. [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] is correct, Faf doesn't wanna use his ace strikers to clean the tail although if push comes to shove I don't see them lasting more than 3-5 overs against premium bowlers.

However, having said all that cricket is a very funny game and with the history of South African chokes over the years, I too wouldn't be that confident in putting my money on South Africa as well.

For once I'll do a [MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] here and stay on the fence !! :))

Should bring on Rabada and Philander to finish this off.

Aussies fight to the end!

But no respect in this defeat. Losing to a single fast bowler.

This guy Hazlewood couldn't have fallen to a worse delivery. :facepalm: Draw was there for the taking.

Still is.

Have Saffers ever choked in a test match?

They were chasing a record chase against India in SA during 2013/2014 tour series and were about to make history when Philander choked and settled for a draw even though the touching distance was just within sights.....

Was so disappointed that day !!

They were chasing a record chase against India in SA during 2013/2014 tour series and were about to make history when Philander choked and settled for a draw even though the touching distance was just within sights.....

Their management tried to explain that. Morkel had a seriously injured ankle and couldn't have batted, so to protect him Philly didn't try anything silly, as if he got out it would literally be game over since Morkel couldn't bat.

Unfortunate for SA for sure. The big blunder was actually Faf getting run out when he should've finished it off.

Their management tried to explain that. Morkel had a seriously injured ankle and couldn't have batted, so to protect him Philly didn't try anything silly, as if he got out it would literally be game over since Morkel couldn't bat.

Unfortunate for SA for sure. The big blunder was actually Faf getting run out when he should've finished it off.

I remember watching that live. I do believe Smith gave instructions to not go at it. Steyn was furious.

That was brilliant from Rahane else SA were on course to chase that mammoth total!

Poor call from Sully.

You should know that SA was the best Test team for a loooong period till recently.

They don't choke in Tests .

Hardly a choke. Poor decision making but they were pretty comfortable making said decision.

Hardly a choke. Poor decision making but they were pretty comfortable making said decision.

If the decision making was good I wouldn't be calling it a choke now would I...

These are the reasons why SA (2007-2014) are not considered at the same ATG level as the great Australian and West Indies teams of yesteryear.

The only person choking is the op with his ridiculous threads that backfire more often than not :bm

Their choking is reserved for tournaments. Bilateral tests, ODIs or T20s they don't have a problem.

If the decision making was good I wouldn't be calling it a choke now would I...

These are the reasons why SA (2007-2014) are not considered at the same ATG level as the great Australian and West Indies teams of yesteryear.

Poor decision making =\= choking is what my post was all about.

SA are the kings of test cricket. They only choke in ODIs and that too in big tournaments.

They beat Australia in Australia with 3 bowlers and one of them was on debut.

Back