South Korea agrees historic ban on dog meat industry

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
South Korea has voted to ban the centuries-old dog meat industry - with campaigners calling it "history in the making".

Hundreds of thousands of dogs are farmed and killed in South Korea each year, but attitudes have changed in recent times and demand is at an all-time low.

The ban will make the breeding, slaughter and sale of dogs and dog meat for human consumption illegal from 2027.

There will be penalties of up to three years in prison or a fine of up to 30m KRW (£18,000).

Setting up new dog farms, slaughterhouses and cooking and processing facilities will be banned immediately.

However, the bill does not stipulate penalties for eating dog meat.

South Korea's parliament endorsed the bill by 208 votes to zero on Tuesday, but dog farmers said they planned an appeal and protests.

A Humane Society worker rescues a dog in Asan. Pic: Jean Chung/For HSI
Support for the ban grew under President Yoon Suk Yeol, an animal lover who has adopted six dogs and eight cats.

"This is history in the making," said JungAh Chae, head of the country's Humane Society International.

"I never thought I would see in my lifetime a ban on the cruel dog meat industry in South Korea, but this historic win for animals is testament to the passion and determination of our animal protection movement."

Source : Sky News

South Korea has voted to ban the centuries-old dog meat industry - with campaigners calling it "history in the making".

Hundreds of thousands of dogs are farmed and killed in South Korea each year, but attitudes have changed in recent times and demand is at an all-time low.

The ban will make the breeding, slaughter and sale of dogs and dog meat for human consumption illegal from 2027.

There will be penalties of up to three years in prison or a fine of up to 30m KRW (£18,000).

Setting up new dog farms, slaughterhouses and cooking and processing facilities will be banned immediately.

However, the bill does not stipulate penalties for eating dog meat.

South Korea's parliament endorsed the bill by 208 votes to zero on Tuesday, but dog farmers said they planned an appeal and protests.

A Humane Society worker rescues a dog in Asan. Pic: Jean Chung/For HSI
Support for the ban grew under President Yoon Suk Yeol, an animal lover who has adopted six dogs and eight cats.

"This is history in the making," said JungAh Chae, head of the country's Humane Society International.

"I never thought I would see in my lifetime a ban on the cruel dog meat industry in South Korea, but this historic win for animals is testament to the passion and determination of our animal protection movement."

Source : Sky News
A good step by South Korean government then countries need to follow to especially China because dog meat is not good for health and can become reason of spread of new diseases.

Cruel Dog meat industry? What about Chickens and other farm animals?

Western sensibilities applied on Eastern dietary habits.

Its fine to eat meat of domesticated animals like chicken and goat but to eat other species whom meat are also harmful for health is not fine.

I wonder when other countries like China, Philippines, and Thailand are going to ban dog meat.

No.
Arunachal, Mizoram, Nagaland region. My wife lived there for sometime. She told me that you do not find any street dogs there. Not many birds either.
Not finding any street dogs does not mean that they ate all the dogs from the street. Never heard of the news before that the people from these areas are eating dogs. New to me.

If people are eating dog meat, then this ban will help them for their own good. There are too many health risks involved with such animals as dogs, bats, rats, wild boars or pigs, etc. All other countries should also follow the same route.

No.
Arunachal, Mizoram, Nagaland region. My wife lived there for sometime. She told me that you do not find any street dogs there. Not many birds either.
That is really surprising for me because I thought these dogs are eaten only in Eastern Asian countries not in the Indian subcontinent.

If people are eating dog meat, then this ban will help them for their own good. There are too many health risks involved with such animals as dogs, bats, rats, wild boars or pigs, etc. All other countries should also follow the same route.
According to many Covid virus spread from bat meat likewise dog meat is too hazardous for health and hence such ban is commendable.

Oriental people have the most disgusting eating habits on earth, didn’t they cause the pandemic by eating bats

That is really surprising for me because I thought these dogs are eaten only in Eastern Asian countries not in the Indian subcontinent.
The tribal communities there had their cuisine for many centuries. Indian government clearly meddling with people’s cultural habits.

Cats and dogs are pets of people. How can they eat these lovely creatures?

I hope dog meat and cat meat will be banned worldwide.

Back