Sri Lanka v England | 4th ODI | Colombo, | 10/10/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIB

Local Club Regular
Runs
Sri Lanka v England | 4th ODI | Colombo | 10/10/07

England team
AN Cook, P Mustard, IR Bell, KP Pietersen, PD Collingwood, OA Shah, RS Bopara, GP Swann, SCJ Broad, RJ Sidebottom, JM Anderson

Srilanka Team
WU Tharanga, ST Jayasuriya, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, LPC Silva, TM Dilshan, J Mubarak, WPUJC Vaas, SL Malinga, CRD Fernando, KS Lokuarachchi

DPMD Jayawardene c Broad b Anderson 0 (6b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

LPC Silva c Bopara b Broad 67 (101b 5x4 0x6) SR: 66.33

KC Sangakkara c Bopara b Broad 69 (171m 102b 4x4 0x6) SR: 67.64

KS Lokuarachchi lbw b Collingwood 9 (10b 0x4 0x6) SR: 90.00

Bell out. ct somewhere around wide mid on area off Lokurarachi
Eng 84-2 after 20 overs

Rain stops play. Cook on 36 Pietersen 0
Eng 84-2 after 20.2 overs - need 128 to win

Rain stops play! Well, they were threatening a monsoon, and here it is. It's an total deluge, and the covers are on in an instant.

if there is no more play, England will be victorious by 14 runs on Duckworth/Lewis.

I think rain has stopped. There are people on the ground around the covers and they do not look wet

England should win this easily but Sri Lankans can comeback anytime.

Cook out on 80 bowled by Fernando. played on to the stumps
Eng 194-3

Owais Shah bowled by Malinga yorker
Eng 208-5 need 4 to win from 26 balls

England win the game by 5 wickets and take the series 3-1 with 1 game left to play. Such a great win for the team. From past experience i don't expect much when playing ODIs in the subcontinent, so to go and win in Sri Lanka is a fantastic achievement. It looked as if the writing was on the wall after the first game but the team have turned themselves around and have been far more disciplined, especially with the ball.

Great win by Eng. Their first series win against SL since 1988 home or away. 1988 was their only series win against SL (but there are only 3-4 series between the two countries). Last series was 5-0 loss at home. well done England

Last edited:
Hats off to the England team...absolutely incredible. How on earth we have gone half way around the world, played so well in these conditions and won three straight games against one of the better one day sides, I will never know - England fans have barely been talking about this tour all year because we all knew we would get hammered. Or, we thought we knew. This has literally come out of nowhere.

In Sri Lanka the heat is unbearable, the wickets are slow and low, the best seamers in the world regularly get nothing out of the pitches, and the gentlest spin bowling rips sideways. Basically, the complete opposite of English conditions, and the kind of conditions where England sides are usually cut to pieces.

The bowling is just stupendous at the moment. Sidebottom will rarely win a man of the match or man of the series award for England because he isn't 'cool' enough, but he has been one of the best England players in 2007. Against Sri Lanka he has 10 wickets in 4 games at an average of about 10, or something ridiculous, which is just unbelievable.

Now let's take the tests as well. Is it possible? The Murali factor is the only thing that could change the momentum of the tour, but even against Murali, I think that after seeing this series, it is possible to take the tests.

Whippy said:
Now let's take the tests as well. Is it possible? The Murali factor is the only thing that could change the momentum of the tour, but even against Murali, I think that after seeing this series, it is possible to take the tests.

I must admit to having been very pleasantly surprised by the professionalism shown on this tour, especially by our bowlers. I still think the Tests will be extremely tough, as much as anything because of the schedule. I can hardly believe that the ECB has agreed to three back-to-back Tests in a country that has to be the hardest in which to play Test cricket. Don't they remember the debacle in the final Test at the SSC on our last visit, when an exhausted England team completely fell apart?

That said, I didn't think we had a prayer of winning this series, so hopefully I'll be proved wrong again!

Without Murali SL is not a good test side. They will rely on Sangakkara and Jayawerdena to put some runs but that is about it. I think England has a good chance to come with a drawn series if they can handle Murali in couple of tests and put up some decent scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back