Thanks to the Rawalpindi pitch for teaching us our real auqaat in Test cricket

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The much talked about pitch.

We finally got a pitch where rookie pacers showed us where we really stand.

Unable to counter bounce or spin or anything else, we have been shown the mirror is spectacular fashion.

Pakistan red-ball cricket, the last bastion of hope is no more.

We can blame the domestic system or the local lassi walla, but the fact is that our batters with tons of runs under their belts have been found out.

All is not lost yet.

Pakistan is defending 75 runs here and 8 wickets needed.

Rambo was blasted for producing flattest of tracks, but clearly he knew the true auqat of these Cricketers better than we did. The tracks did not just save such humiliations, but also maintained Brand Bobs. :bobs:

An extremely misunderstood PCB chairman was Ramiz Raja.

Rambo was blasted for producing flattest of tracks, but clearly he knew the true auqat of these Cricketers better than we did
Actually that’s false. In Rambo’s mind, Babar/Rizwan/Shaheen/Shadab are truly Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath. He had totally lost the plot

The best solution is to go on merit. That's it.

They did it with the bowlers and should do it with the batsmen.

Get your leading run scorers and wicket takers from domestic cricket into the XI. Right now guys like Farhan, Huraira, Ghulam are sitting outside while they are putting up big numbers at the domestic level. No, they aren't saviors but it is their turn to get a chance.

What if all of them fail? Well, you work your way down the list until people click. Perhaps, the guys who were removed will rework their technique and come back stronger. It's the only way rather than running with the same old batch again and again. Keep the few that work (Saud, Rizwan) and send the others down to work on their game. They can keep Babar if they don't want to take one struggling player who has the potential to turn things around.

I liked how they took the top three wicket-takers from domestic cricket and they seem to have found a somewhat decent one in Khurram Shahzad even if he can't lead the attack. It's going to be a long process where you will find a few and also discard a few. But it's the best they can do right now over the next 1-2 years.

Get your leading run scorers and wicket takers from domestic cricket into the XI. Right now guys like Farhan, Huraira, Ghulam are sitting outside while they are putting up big numbers at the domestic level. No, they aren't saviors but it is their turn to get a chance.

What if all of them fail? Well, you work your way down the list until people click. Perhaps, the guys who were removed will rework their technique and come back stronger. It's the only way rather than running with the same old batch again and again. Keep the few that work (Saud, Rizwan) and send the others down to work on their game. They can keep Babar if they don't want to take one struggling player who has the potential to turn things around.

I liked how they took the top three wicket-takers from domestic cricket and they seem to have found a somewhat decent one in Khurram Shahzad even if he can't lead the attack. It's going to be a long process where you will find a few and also discard a few. But it's the best they can do right now over the next 1-2 years.

This.

Gillespie and Kirsten should be given full selection powers. If they feel a whole clean up is warranted then the PCB should co operate.

There was a time Bangladeshi cricketers wouldn’t dare look Pakistani cricketers in the eye. If they did Shoaib Akhtar would bowl a few of them straight to intensive care.
From what I recall, Shoaib was usually pretty kind towards Bangladeshi cricketers…he wasn’t as hostile in his spells against them. He turned up the heat against Australia, India, New Zealand and England for some reason.

From what I recall, Shoaib was usually pretty kind towards Bangladeshi cricketers…he wasn’t as hostile in his spells against them. He turned up the heat against Australia, India, New Zealand and England for some reason.
Watch the 2003 pesawar test..BD was 312/2 if I remember..than Shoaib came after lunch..he must of ate a bucket full of steroids because he bowled fire..BD was all out for 367

Which is how it should be.
Also because back then Bangladesh also accepted their fate and let whatever was happening to them, happen.

The much talked about pitch.

We finally got a pitch where rookie pacers showed us where we really stand.

Unable to counter bounce or spin or anything else, we have been shown the mirror is spectacular fashion.

Pakistan red-ball cricket, the last bastion of hope is no more.

We can blame the domestic system or the local lassi walla, but the fact is that our batters with tons of runs under their belts have been found out.
I think it was less of bounce or spin and more to do with the fact that our batsmen can't react to any pace 140 and above and can't read spin on any track.

And pur pacers have to scream in agony just to bowl 121 to 134kph.

At this point there is no such thing as helpful pitch for Pakistan as they don't have players to take advantage of it. Their best hope is to prepare pitches for draw and hope batsmen step up

Can't even minnow bash anymore. Getting bashed like a minnow instead.

This should have been a stat padding masterclass for our avengers Babar and Rizwan and co.

At this point there is no such thing as helpful pitch for Pakistan as they don't have players to take advantage of it. Their best hope is to prepare pitches for draw and hope batsmen step up
Nope I would put in Spicy pitches, worn down with plenty of wear and tear. Nulls out better batting technique of the oppo and own inferior bowling "attack" comes into play as well.

Nope I would put in Spicy pitches, worn down with plenty of wear and tear. Nulls out better batting technique of the oppo and own inferior bowling "attack" comes into play as well.
Yeah there's potential to win this lottery.

Docile tracks are produced for our stat padding bunny batsmen .

But even with sporting wickets our bowling stocks have fallen so low we don't even have bowlers who can dominate minnow teams.

All in all our cricket is in the doldrums it needs major surgery

Remember Pakistan lost 1-0 to Zimbabwe in 1998. We prepared green wickets and had Wasim, Waqar, Aqib, Azhar Mahmood, Shoaib Akhtar, Mushtaq Ahmed and still lost. Henry Olanga blew us away which cost us the first test match.

Still remember back then we had the same feeling that it was disgraceful to lose to minnows Zimbabwe.

Aamir Sohail got fed up and mutinied against the PCB, players who had revolted, under performed under him and the players got what they wanted ie Wasim Akram reinstated as captain

Remember Pakistan lost 1-0 to Zimbabwe in 1998. We prepared green wickets and had Wasim, Waqar, Aqib, Azhar Mahmood, Shoaib Akhtar, Mushtaq Ahmed and still lost. Henry Olanga blew us away which cost us the first test match.

Still remember back then we had the same feeling that it was disgraceful to lose to minnows Zimbabwe.

Aamir Sohail got fed up and mutinied against the PCB, players who had revolted, under performed under him and the players got what they wanted ie Wasim Akram reinstated as captain
Was Zim really ai minnow in 98? I mean they had flower brothers, Johnson,Goodwin,Campbell,streak

Bangladesh has proved that you don't need high profile coach to win test match. You don't need to call your players king or eagle etc to win matches. They have also not blamed BCB & their government for failures. They came played honest cricket on the ground with full determination and left victorious

Bangladesh has proved that you don't need high profile coach to win test match. You don't need to call your players king or eagle etc to win matches. They have also not blamed BCB & their government for failures. They came played honest cricket on the ground with full determination and left victorious
Lol we blame bcb all the time. In fact most of our failures are directed at and sometimes justifically towards our x board president papon the bafoon

Pakistan Test cricket is finished, a harsh reality cannot bat cannot bowl

Lol we blame bcb all the time. In fact most of our failures are directed at and sometimes justifically towards our x board president papon the bafoon
Ok blaming but at least winning or trying to win. You won test match in NZ few years back. On the other hand Pakistan is losing at home

Never been to Bangla cricket forum then when it existed? Papon was cursed on a daily basis multiple times.

Never been to Bangla cricket forum then when it existed? Papon was cursed on a daily basis multiple times.
Sorry my mistake really as I thought they don't blame BCB but not sure if active players appears on national television and criticise fellow players & board like what we see in Pakistan

Was Zim really ai minnow in 98? I mean they had flower brothers, Johnson,Goodwin,Campbell,streak
Yep. It remains their only Test/series win in any of the major Test nations.

They were a dangerous white ball side for 4-5 years but this forum massively overrates them in Tests

Do you think players performed with more freedom because papon is no longer there

Shoaib overall has pretty average stats against India and Australia. He certainly has few good spells and that's about it.. He averaged around 35 against both if I am not wrong. Against England he was decent but didn't play much in England.

But he was devasting against BD. I remember an innings where he bowled them out right after lunch or tea break after BD were in very good position.

Do you think players performed with more freedom because papon is no longer there
Papon was guilty of many things but players not playing with freedom because of papon might not have been the case..some may be..not all..we'll get too see this and understand as more BD plays.

Papon was guilty of many things but players not playing with freedom because of papon might not have been the case..some may be..not all..we'll get too see this and understand as more BD plays.
Fair. I remember Shakib had to go once and hold his knees and beg for forgiveness but I can't recall the reason

Fair. I remember Shakib had to go once and hold his knees and beg for forgiveness but I can't recall the reason
That was not papon. That was the president before papon..lotas Kamal..and shakib did not hold his knees or beg forgiveness..shakib was talking to him sitting down I think the whole thing was taken out of context.

Lotas Kamal was as bad as papon though. Both were thugs

At the time it was considered an upset. The players you have mentioned became Zimbabwe legends given the quality of players that followed after them

Fact is Pakistan is on decline since 2000..every now and then they build a team some controversy arises and then the team deteriorates..again some new stars arise, firecracker show for few months/year and fade out..the only thing that associated well in the past is the Unpredictability factor which kept even big teams like India cautious..but now it's too gone..only thing that is enjoyable from Pakistan is their defeat to much smaller teams..rather your loss we are enjoying these teams winning..in a way Pakistan is becoming another west Indies..only difference is WI players just play cricket for Fun whereas Pak players play for Bread and Bun..😜

Pakistan Test cricket is finished, a harsh reality cannot bat cannot bowl
Pakistan's overall cricket is on the ventilator now. Until we change the cricketing structure on major scale nothing is going to improve.

Pakistan's overall cricket is on the ventilator now. Until we change the cricketing structure on major scale nothing is going to improve.
I have never seen any one team , that comes from a population of 20 crores plus , underperform for a year or two or 3 as has been the case here

Everyone is out with knives for bobzy some for rizwan and so on ..but hello.... there's no test match cricket in Pakistan. isnt that the worst possible thing to begin with.

from whatever money pcb earns they ought to spend it for a domestic test format. how the hell do u expect slam bangers of t20 to play 100 balls?

u blood young guys in to 5over /10 over 15 over street fights ( street level cricket ) then ask em to come into t20 and expect guys to turn out like Warner Bumrah?

You need Proper cricket structure for it. the era of t20s have finished whatever was left when technically sound guys like Misbah Younis retired. .

India Australia England South Africa All play tonnes of tests in domestic... thats why they will always top4 / 5.

Not mercurial guys like Afgh who again have 0 tests in domestic... and now Pak. i think even west indies doesnt have tests ...or have simply a talent deficit as most go for basketball etc

A lot of Pakistanis are using “merit” as an excuse to hide from the facts.
The batters in the Pakistani team made the team also on merit. Were Abdullah Shafique, Saim Ayub, Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman not the most prolific run scorers in domestic. Did Saim Ayub not look like Gilchrist with an average of 80 and SR of 66 in last season? Shan Masood not look like Bradman going at 100+ SR and 50+ average in last QEA season?
The names you mentioned are also performers but you can only select 6 batters and the ones that were selected have comparable performances in domestic as well.

The right diagnosis is needed.

The FC system is garbage in garbage out. The coaching system, pitches, and academies are not training and upskilling players adequately.

The batters in the Pakistani team made the team also on merit. Were Abdullah Shafique, Saim Ayub, Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman not the most prolific run scorers in domestic. Did Saim Ayub not look like Gilchrist with an average of 80 and SR of 66 in last season? Shan Masood not look like Bradman going at 100+ SR and 50+ average in last QEA season?
The names you mentioned are also performers but you can only select 6 batters and the ones that were selected have comparable performances in domestic as well.

The FC system is garbage in garbage out. The coaching system, pitches, and academies are not training and upskilling players adequately.
Correct. Didn't Saim and Shan smash tons in the QEA final?

These are players picked on domestic merit

Now whether the FC system is of any reasonable standard or not is questionable.

The best bowlers were the likes of Khurram Shahzad and Mir Hamza . If batters are scoring off such bowlers who are 135- , then maybe they are struggling to play Test quality 85 mph + bowlers in international cricket.

The merit argument is valid to an extent. Abdullah Shafique has failed in most of his recent innings, there is something called not only looking at stats but a players body language and i am sorry to say Abdullah's body language stinks and you could tell just by looking at him that he was devoid of confidence and a walking wicket. This is where the selectors and team management know when to give a player confidence and when to know to take them out of the firing line.

Same for Babar Azam. There is only so much leeway you can allow a player for past performances, his recent form is terrible. Selections have to be based on current form.

The PCB going forward needs to plan better i.e. hold their 4-5 day tournaments in advance of the home test season so that the current form, fitness of the players is noted. This is what the PCB aims to achieve with their Champions tournaments.

Docile tracks are produced for our stat padding bunny batsmen .

But even with sporting wickets our bowling stocks have fallen so low we don't even have bowlers who can dominate minnow teams.

All in all our cricket is in the doldrums it needs major surgery
Spicy pitches make every innings a shoot out, luck more than skill which will bring better results than the current blank outs at home.

The problem is Pakistan does not know their strength, is it pace or spin? I don't think Pakistan can actually compete against any team in the world by preparing spin wickets either. England, SA, Australia, Bangladesh, SL, Afghanistan all have better spin attacks than Pakistan. Their pacers apparently are better as well. Not counting India as they don't play in Pakistan. NZ have shown that they are good against spin as well by winning the series in UAE. So what is Pakistan's strength at home? Pakistan was successful in UAE because of Ajmal & Yasir Shah, do they have bowlers who can win games consistently on turning tracks. The other question is do Pakistan have the batters to score runs against good opposition spinners on such tracks?

It is a nightmare for the management as to what wickets will actually suit the home team. So can't blame them. Considering how poor your main batter is against spin, they went for flat tracks, did not help as the team lost the series. So they thought lets prepare some pitches helping pacers and once again the team lost. First Pakistan needs to identify their strengths before preparing any wickets. Just preparing spin wickets does not mean you will win, you actually need good spinners and batters who can score against good spin.

I do agree with your assessment.

The FC system is brutal and needs to be refined over the long-term.

But merit is still the only solution in the short-term and you work your way down the list to see which players click. Give them a fair run but also be willing to make changes. For example, I think Saud Shakeel and Khurram Shahzad have done enough to keep their spots and both were merited picks.

On the other hand, if Shafique, Saim, Salman, Masood are struggling, you replace 1-2 of them with players who are topping the charts right now. This is not going to happen overnight but slowly you will begin finding a good player here and a good player there until you have a full XI.

This was a fantastic wicket for test cricket and should be the standard wicket for test cricket at home in Pakistan with everything for batsmen, fast bowlers and spinners.
Agree. It was good wicket that separated the cream of the cream from the fluff. It might be painful in short term for Pakistan to lose few series but long term, it will encourage skillful players to rise and shine over time. This pitch should be replicated for domestic matches too.

Agree. It was good wicket that separated the cream of the cream from the fluff. It might be painful in short term for Pakistan to lose few series but long term, it will encourage skillful players to rise and shine over time. This pitch should be replicated for domestic matches too.

Domestic pitches should have variety and should be played across different stadiums. One ground should be like Pindi ie pace, bounce, swing, seam. Another should be bouncy, dry and good for spinners like Karachi.

Every ground in Australia has a different nature.

Domestic pitches should have variety and should be played across different stadiums. One ground should be like Pindi ie pace, bounce, swing, seam. Another should be bouncy, dry and good for spinners like Karachi.

Every ground in Australia has a different nature.
Ramiz Raja once said he was installing drop-in pitches for domestic cricket. If he has actually done so, I guess that's the reason we can't prepare pitches that would help us take advantage of our home series.

I think it was less of bounce or spin and more to do with the fact that our batsmen can't react to any pace 140 and above and can't read spin on any track.

And pur pacers have to scream in agony just to bowl 121 to 134kph.
first time gotta agree with you. We can't play quality pace or quality spin anymore regardless of the pitch.

I do agree with your assessment.

The FC system is brutal and needs to be refined over the long-term.

But merit is still the only solution in the short-term and you work your way down the list to see which players click. Give them a fair run but also be willing to make changes. For example, I think Saud Shakeel and Khurram Shahzad have done enough to keep their spots and both were merited picks.

On the other hand, if Shafique, Saim, Salman, Masood are struggling, you replace 1-2 of them with players who are topping the charts right now. This is not going to happen overnight but slowly you will begin finding a good player here and a good player there until you have a full XI.
What you are describing is not something new. This is exactly what has been happening but the problem is that none of them are “good” enough to retain their spots. The only batters who have played significant tests is Babar because he has been consistent. The others could not sustain, which is why they were replaced with Abdullah and Saim. Rizwan was nearing the chopping block until he turned a corner recently.
The problem, again, is not the recycling of batters or bowlers. They are being recycled. The problem is that none of them are good enough to sustain their initial success after they have been found out because they don’t have enough skills.

What you are describing is not something new. This is exactly what has been happening but the problem is that none of them are “good” enough to retain their spots. The only batters who have played significant tests is Babar because he has been consistent. The others could not sustain, which is why they were replaced with Abdullah and Saim. Rizwan was nearing the chopping block until he turned a corner recently.
The problem, again, is not the recycling of batters or bowlers. They are being recycled. The problem is that none of them are good enough to sustain their initial success after they have been found out because they don’t have enough skills.

Is it a work ethic issue where the players don't work hard on their weaknesses? Yousaf in a tv interview stated that the players don't work hard and he can take a horse to water but can't force it to drink it. Similarly the likes of Wasim Akram, Herschuelle Gibbs, Adam Hollioake have all complained about Babar Azam ie he is stubborn and doesn't listen to advice to improve his batting, he sticks to his comfort zone and I am assuming this is not just Babar but applies to many of our other players as well.

Is a poor coaching issue at the academies and grass roots where coaches are incompetent and cannot identify technical issues with players and don't have the idea how to help the players fix them?

Is it an infrastructure issue for eg India, Australia, England have academies everywhere where a lot of batters have access to bowling machines where they can literally face 300 plus balls consecutively ie fast ball, outswinger, inswinger, full, yorker, bouncer, on offstump, outside off stump, leg spin, off spin, left arm spin, chinaman and can practice on his weak areas, against different match scenarios. I read an article that Pakistan lacks these facilities in their academies and have to rely on net bowlers who get tired in 30-40 minutes and players mostly practice on their strengths and are in denial about their weaknesses. They have no idea how to fix their games. How can you produce quality batters when they don't or can't put in the work that batters from the big 5 do?

The problem is a combination of all of the above and my solution which is very expensive, not easy was for the PCB to appoint foreign coaches in your academies, domestic teams, academies, U19 and Shaheen teams pay them good competitive salaries and task them to raise the standard in Pakistan's domestic system, train local Pakistani coaches within ten years.

Is it a work ethic issue where the players don't work hard on their weaknesses? Yousaf in a tv interview stated that the players don't work hard and he can take a horse to water but can't force it to drink it. Similarly the likes of Wasim Akram, Herschuelle Gibbs, Adam Hollioake have all complained about Babar Azam ie he is stubborn and doesn't listen to advice to improve his batting, he sticks to his comfort zone and I am assuming this is not just Babar but applies to many of our other players as well.

Is a poor coaching issue at the academies and grass roots where coaches are incompetent and cannot identify technical issues with players and don't have the idea how to help the players fix them?

Is it an infrastructure issue for eg India, Australia, England have academies everywhere where a lot of batters have access to bowling machines where they can literally face 300 plus balls consecutively ie fast ball, outswinger, inswinger, full, yorker, bouncer, on offstump, outside off stump, leg spin, off spin, left arm spin, chinaman and can practice on his weak areas, against different match scenarios. I read an article that Pakistan lacks these facilities in their academies and have to rely on net bowlers who get tired in 30-40 minutes and players mostly practice on their strengths and are in denial about their weaknesses. They have no idea how to fix their games. How can you produce quality batters when they don't or can't put in the work that batters from the big 5 do?

The problem is a combination of all of the above and my solution which is very expensive, not easy was for the PCB to appoint foreign coaches in your academies, domestic teams, academies, U19 and Shaheen teams pay them good competitive salaries and task them to raise the standard in Pakistan's domestic system, train local Pakistani coaches within ten years.
The real issue lies in the lack of grassroots skill development, with everything else being merely symptoms or outcomes. Let me explain.

Batters at the top level aren't working on their weaknesses because they simply can't. It’s incredibly difficult to make significant changes to your game when you're expected to perform consistently at a high level. Like any other skill, batting—cricket in general—relies on a strong foundation. The formative years are crucial. This problem is further aggravated by the lack of competition, which would otherwise push players to work harder. As a result, we see a cycle of mediocre batters, none of whom are consistently good enough to perform at the highest level.

When we look at our U19 batting standards, it's clear we're not producing quality players. This is the root cause of the problem. Until we address this and implement some of the good ideas you've mentioned, nothing will really change.

Jaisawal’s example is telling. The guy is 22 year old and he has played just 24 FC games and he hit the ground running in test cricket against good teams. He’s clearly not a product of Ranji. It was a finishing school for him because he arrived ready at FC level.

Pakistan needed this reality check. This team is a careless and selfish bunch of individuals that are running after captaincy or they are either involved in friendship gangs and want to see their leader be a captain. Not playing for the country but themselves. Mediocre players are given the captaincy who do not even deserve the spot in the squad (SHAN)

The real issue lies in the lack of grassroots skill development, with everything else being merely symptoms or outcomes. Let me explain.

Batters at the top level aren't working on their weaknesses because they simply can't. It’s incredibly difficult to make significant changes to your game when you're expected to perform consistently at a high level. Like any other skill, batting—cricket in general—relies on a strong foundation. The formative years are crucial. This problem is further aggravated by the lack of competition, which would otherwise push players to work harder. As a result, we see a cycle of mediocre batters, none of whom are consistently good enough to perform at the highest level.

When we look at our U19 batting standards, it's clear we're not producing quality players. This is the root cause of the problem. Until we address this and implement some of the good ideas you've mentioned, nothing will really change.

Jaisawal’s example is telling. The guy is 22 year old and he has played just 24 FC games and he hit the ground running in test cricket against good teams. He’s clearly not a product of Ranji. It was a finishing school for him because he arrived ready at FC level.
the lad is another prime example of asian flat track bully.. struggles vs quality pace bowling like rohit sharma Bobzy etc ...

talk all u want ...if u dont have sporting pitches and a proper domestic test formats where kids play tests... God isnt offerring every generation likes of Sachin Dravid Laxman Sehwag Anwar Inzi Youhana and bowlers like Srinath Kapil dev Akram Sarfaraz nawaz who could bowl all day , day after day and not get injured after every one or two series or need workload mamagment .

Absence of tests in domestics breeds death knell for sustained efforts in tests

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaheen and Babar should be punished for destroying the dressing room.

Back