"The boys have realized what was missing, and I believe the next innings will be even better": Umar Gul

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After Day 2, 1st Test Australia vs Pakistan, in a press conference Umar Gul said:

"From my perspective, the pace has dropped a bit, everyone is noticing. Shaheen used to bowl with good pace, consistently around 140 plus, similarly Hasan Ali too. And our other bowlers, including the two youngsters like Khurram and Aamer Jamal, are reasonable and playing well with good pace. When you come on a tour, especially in red-ball cricket, you first look at finding your rhythm. Once you have your rhythm, your pace naturally increases. So, after a long time, our bowlers were playing a Test match, which is quite demanding and tiring for players. But I hope that, as I mentioned earlier, in the second innings, they will perform well with good pace. It takes time to adjust to red-ball cricket after such a long break. Still, it's a moment of joy to see the boys making a comeback, especially in the first session, where our new ball performance wasn't outstanding, but they made a strong comeback later on."

"One can never be fully satisfied because there are always small mistakes. As I mentioned a while ago, especially with the new ball, we were wayward and then when we took the second new ball, our bowling improved significantly. Even now, we have a chance to bowl well with the new ball and operate effectively with line and length. There's always room for improvement, and the need to keep working hard is constant. InshaAllah, we are working hard for the second innings. The boys have realized what was missing, and I believe the next innings will be even better."

"It's indeed a pleasure to see the two young bowlers performing so well. However, on the bench, we also have experienced players like Hasan Ali, Mir Hamza, and Wasim Jnr. As I mentioned earlier, the boys coming in had a good First-Class season, playing around 8-9 matches, and their bodies were accustomed to First-Class cricket. The team management felt they were the right choice. It was a good decision to go with four pacers, and overall, they delivered, as expected. Salman Ali Agha, regularly playing off-spin in first-class cricket, also bowled well, creating opportunities and adding stability to our batting lineup."

"Talking about the Australian bowlers and Nathan Lyon, they have a lot of experience and know how to play Test cricket. Every team has its tactics, playing slow or fast depending on the conditions. Credit must be given to the Australian bowlers for their consistent and disciplined bowling in tough conditions. Although we faced a challenging situation, we handled it well. Despite the tough conditions, we're still in the match, and with players like Imam, Babar, and others, we have the potential to perform well. Each team has its approach to tackle the opposition."

I am quite satisfied with the way the bowlers fought back, especially considering it's always challenging for youngsters, and having two debutants against Australia in Australia adds to the difficulty. I am confident and happy with their performance in bringing us back from the first session on the first day. So far, we are very satisfied.

"[Shaheen] Although he is our star bowler, our main bowler, he was looking for his rhythm. But on the other side, he bowled really well along with the youngsters, trying to find his rhythm. Hopefully, he is looking in good shape, and it's always difficult to play red-ball cricket after a long time. But I hope he will do well in the second innings."

"If you see Shaheen, he bowled 26 overs in an innings. As a bowling coach, how much more can i ask from him? I think he bowled all his spells with good effort, and I don't think there is any problem. He is fully fit, and as I said earlier, he is just looking for his rhythm. I hope he will get into his rhythm in the second innings."

"[Aamer Jamal] It was the main reason to pick him in the playing 11 because he had a good First-Class season and was very good with his rhythm. The two guys coming in played a full season of First-Class cricket in Pakistan and were in good rhythm. So, we were expecting Amer Jamal to bowl for us long spells with good pace, and I think he did the job. We are quite happy with the way he performed and he delivered as we expected of him."

What do you think? Can our bowlers increase their pace and find their rhythm in the second innings?

Last edited:
It's not about rhythm, it's about fitness. Our bowlers are not as fit as the Australian bowlers. There is no rhythm because Shaheen Shah Afridi is not fully fit. He needs one or two months of rest to regain his rhythm rather than playing more to find it.

It's not about rhythm, it's about fitness. Our bowlers are not as fit as the Australian bowlers. There is no rhythm because Shaheen Shah Afridi is not fully fit. He needs one or two months of rest to regain his rhythm rather than playing more to find it.
It can be both.. i did not watch the second days play but the way Aamer Jamal bowled with pace, it seems he was bowling with more pace than is usually associated with him. Does not sound like he is unfit.

Shame he has been named captain. He will play the nzw t20i and then the whole psl

SSA doesn't need to bowl 26 overs in an innings if he could sustain 140+. I agree with everything else what Umar Gul said, but not about justifying SSA's lack of pace.

• Australia and Pakistan both last played a Test in July. Then why are all 3 of Australia's bowlers able to hit 140+ speeds consistently in this Test? They have been able to hit the ground running, but SSA is not.
  • Is Gul saying SSA is over-bowled? Well, in all Tests, ODIs, and T20Is in 2023, all 3 Australian bowlers have outbowled SSA. Cummins (373), Starc (323), and Hazelwood (292) have all bowled more overs than SSA (285).
This is not Umar Gul's problem to fix. The problem was before he became bowling coach. It is Shaheen Shah Afridi's responsibility alone to make sure that he can get back to bowling 140+ in Tests.

If that means he has to skip T20 leagues, then so be it. The Aussie bowlers are more judicious when it comes to playing in T20 leagues. Starc famously skips IPL to prioritize Australia. But SSA plays in The Hundred and other pajama leagues.

SSA is a completely finished cricketer. Sooner we drop him the better. He's only going to get worse.

SSA is a completely finished cricketer. Sooner we drop him the better. He's only going to get worse.
Premature.

Give him more time.

Rabbada trundled at 128-132 k pace for over a year due underlying fitness. He did eventually regain his pace.

Premature.

Give him more time.

Rabbada trundled at 128-132 k pace for over a year due underlying fitness. He did eventually regain his pace.

He's mentally weak aswell. Unfortunately along with Babar most overrated cricketer in history.

Look at Aamir Jamal's physique, good biceps, triceps and shoulders. He was the only bowler to consistently bowl at 136-139 km/hr and he had a mean bouncer. It is clear that he pumps serious iron in the gym.

On the other hand the strength's, muscles of the other bowlers like Shaheen, Faheem and Khurram Shehzad was pathetic. Zero excuse for Shaheen and Faheem to lack in fitness, strength given the resources they have to work on themselves.

Look at Aamir Jamal's physique, good biceps, triceps and shoulders. He was the only bowler to consistently bowl at 136-139 km/hr and he had a mean bouncer. It is clear that he pumps serious iron in the gym.

On the other hand the strength's, muscles of the other bowlers like Shaheen, Faheem and Khurram Shehzad was pathetic. Zero excuse for Shaheen and Faheem to lack in fitness, strength given the resources they have to work on themselves.

Yep spot on. Too many physically inferior individuals given opportunity in Pakistan cricket since 2010.

Aamir jamal is capable of bowling between 140 - 145 kph when he gets in rhythm hopefully 2nd innings.

Shaheen was wasted in the afghan series before the world cup then burnt out at world cup and now 3 tests in Aus.

Khurram is a decent bowler who would be more effective in england than Aus. Not a long term option when the others return.

Waseem Jr should of been selected in this test.

The bowling mindset should be to get wickets ASAP not thinking about bowling 25 overs in a day.

Shan should give the pace bowlers 4 over spells demanding Full pace and give some overs to Saud shakeel as a left arm spinner something which babar never did.

use all available options.

Have been hearing this for a year now that Shaheen has just returned and his pace will come back. It doesn't seem to be coming back.
Rest him for NZ tour and PSL and have him go through a proper fitness regimen to build himself back up.

Have been hearing this for a year now that Shaheen has just returned and his pace will come back. It doesn't seem to be coming back.
Rest him for NZ tour and PSL and have him go through a proper fitness regimen to build himself back up.

That is FAAAAR too sensible an approach

That is FAAAAR too sensible an approach
There's this Pakistani Sports Medicine physician working in Texas who has also gotten gigs in CPL (Barbados Royals) and IPL. He seems to be in his mid to late 30s, his name is Anil if i am not wrong. PCB can hire him in the consultancy role to oversee rehab of Pakistani pacers. Will certainly be an upgrade over the guys we currently have or don't have overseeing our players' rehab.

Aamir jamal is capable of bowling between 140 - 145 kph when he gets in rhythm hopefully 2nd innings.

Shaheen was wasted in the afghan series before the world cup then burnt out at world cup and now 3 tests in Aus.

Khurram is a decent bowler who would be more effective in england than Aus. Not a long term option when the others return.

Waseem Jr should of been selected in this test.

The bowling mindset should be to get wickets ASAP not thinking about bowling 25 overs in a day.

Shan should give the pace bowlers 4 over spells demanding Full pace and give some overs to Saud shakeel as a left arm spinner something which babar never did.

use all available options.

Shaheen's workload is nothing compared to Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and even Shami, Bhumra who are used to bowling 25-30 overs an innings in test cricket. Shaheen is soft and he needs to work hard on his fitness, strength and conditioning.

nothing wrong with his work load, good batsmen and bowlers keep working hard and keep improving their game. these lot have been busy munching on biryanis, cakes and loving the fame

Yes but he has been made captain of both teams so he will play all games.

Shaheen's workload is nothing compared to Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and even Shami, Bhumra who are used to bowling 25-30 overs an innings in test cricket. Shaheen is soft and he needs to work hard on his fitness, strength and conditioning.
Starc, Cummings and Hazelwood workloads are well managed by the Aus coaching staff and they have no issues with them missing series in between and they decline playing too many franchise T20s in order to have maximum rehab.

Starcs pace was down last year but after skipping a few games/ series he ragained his 140k plus speed for the ashes and world cup.

In pakistan the captain and selectors dont take kindly to players resting or asking to be rested like Haris rauf for example.

its a culture thing.

It would but this stupid management just named him captain of the T20 squad, which means he will get absolutely zero rest going forward until he breaks down.

He will paly Test matches, play non-stop T20's, PSL, more T20's, T20 WC & then Test matches after if his body even holds up by then. He's going to grinded down until he's dust and then we will look back and mourn Shaheen's wasted potential.

They all lack discipline. Debutants leading the way should be a wake up call for the big boys. Gul needs to help Khurram and Jamal stick to one length and not try too many things. Test match bowling is about the set up!

Umar Gul should have been worried about those extras Pakistan bowlers have bowled. It was something that needed to be worked on. Hope, what Umar Gul said is true that boys have realized what is missing and they do much better than what they did in the 1st innings.

They did start off well in the 2nd innings but then Faheem Ashraf struck...on behalf of the Australians,

It can be both.. i did not watch the second days play but the way Aamer Jamal bowled with pace, it seems he was bowling with more pace than is usually associated with him. Does not sound like he is unfit.
Erm Jamal is a medium pacer never hit 140 he didn’t bowl with but he did bowl well

Erm Jamal is a medium pacer never hit 140 he didn’t bowl with but he did bowl well
Jamal actually did hit 140+ on a few occasions, he even took a wicket on a 140 ball in the first innings. I'd imagine you'd get consistent 135-142 from him in T20s and ODIs. He seems the real deal, just needs runs now.

Back