The debacle behind CSA's Global T20 tournament

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Cricket SA (CSA) is plunging into a crisis that threatens to eclipse the 2009 Indian Premier League (IPL) bonus-scandal in depth and magnitude.

The cause of the crisis is the T20 Global League, CSA’s first foray into an international T20 tournament. It is designed to rival the IPL and Australia’s lucrative Big Bash.

It’s a tale of intrigue which speaks to the battle to grab a slice of what little money there is in SA sport, as well as the lack of transparency in our sporting codes.

It came to a head two weeks ago, at a heated CSA board meeting.

Board members accused CEO Haroon Lorgat of secrecy, high-handedness, profligate spending on first-class travel and lack of transparency in relation to the hyped tournament — the first edition of which is due to run for six weeks from November.

It’s an ominous start for a tournament meant to be a money-spinner.

In June, the new league had a jamboree opening at London’s upmarket Bulgari hotel in Knightsbridge to reveal the new owners of the eight teams — which include Indian, Pakistani and Dubai-based businessmen.

But contrary to what was said, not all of the eight contracts have been signed, and not all the deposits have been lodged.

All the Proteas will be available for one of eight local T20 Global franchises. However, international scheduling suggests the Proteas won’t be available for all future editions of the tournament — a fact not widely known by the new team owners.

It’s left a sour taste in the mouths of local franchise executives, whose eight stadiums provide the tournament venues. They remain distinctly uneasy about the lack of transparency, the opaque business model, as well as widespread conflict of interest.

Says one: "If there’s nothing to hide, why all this cloak and dagger stuff? I don’t know anything about my majority shareholder, who they are or where the money is coming from. My questions don’t get answered adequately. Most of us smell a rat."

There is particular concern with the franchises based in Durban, Centurion and Port Elizabeth. This week, a fourth franchise owner, the JSE-listed Brimstone, announced as the owner of the Stellenbosch/Paarl franchise, quietly walked away.

This means there are now no local owners — fuelling fears that this appears to be a tournament designed for the enrichment of a global cricket and business elite of which Lorgat, as former CEO of the Dubai-based International Cricket Council (ICC), is part.

At that board meeting two weeks ago, the faction opposing Lorgat asked him to resign. Three days later, a hastily arranged board teleconference led to a truce between Lorgat and those directors. Lorgat, sources say, said he needed time to consider his options.

It underscores the toxic atmosphere at CSA. Chief financial officer Naasei Appiah and Lorgat have such a strained relationship they don’t talk. Appiah has been cut out of much of the financial nuts and bolts of the T20 Global League. It is understood he has filed grievance procedures against his boss.

Labour lawyer Charles Nupen has been asked to mediate, but insiders say Lorgat isn’t co-operating with him.

When approached, Appiah refused to discuss the dispute, citing CSA media protocol. However, sources said Lorgat has instituted lie-detector tests for senior staff members in the wake of the troubled working relationship with Appiah.

It all suggests morale is at rock bottom, even as CSA is moving into opulent new headquarters on Glenhove Avenue in Johannesburg from September 1. Yet pay increases have been frozen and there has been recent talk of industrial action.

The atmosphere of paranoia doesn’t stop at CSA’s doors. Local franchise chief owners are being forced to sign nondisclosure agreements about the T20 Global League, which effectively amount to gagging orders.

When approached, CSA refused to comment. "CSA does not intend to respond to queries based on information sourced from faceless individuals. If and when CSA has legitimate information to communicate to the public, we will do so through normal means and channels."

At its core, the crisis is about CSA’s sale of the T20 Global League’s broadcast rights and the money it’s likely to make. Ordinarily, these rights would have been taken to market on behalf of CSA by the International Management Group (IMG), but in late 2015 CSA opened preliminary talks with Lagardère, a rival company.

There was nothing wrong with IMG being sidelined. It remains CSA’s agent in all other respects, though industry observers say IMG took the IPL broadcast rights to market and is well-acquainted with rights evaluation, sales and back-end logistics.

Lagardère, however, is well-respected in the global rights space, having been instrumental in selling the Africa Cup of Nations rights, for example. But talks with Lagardère hit a snag when Venu Nair, an employee, resigned in February and took the T20 Global League’s rights with him. Nair’s company, Ortus Sport & Entertainment, registered only in April, is now the sole agent for CSA’s T20 Global League’s broadcast rights.

A London-based broadcast source, in a discussion with the Financial Mail, described the relationship between CSA and Ortus as "contrived". Another believes IMG and Lagardère would be within their rights to seek compensation.

"There would also be a restraint of trade dimension to Nair’s Lagardère contract. So one wonders exactly [where] he would be allowed to sell and where he would simply be allowed to counsel and offer advice,"
he said.

TV rights for digital and free-to-air broadcasting have exploded in value in recent years. While CSA hasn’t publicly put a value on its T20 Global rights, it probably runs into hundreds of millions of rand.

The IPL’s broadcast rights for the 10-year cycle just ended are worth $1.63bn but are expected to rise to something approaching $3bn for the next round of negotiations.

The England Cricket Board, which is launching its own 20-over tournament to rival the IPL in 2020, is expected to net in excess of a billion pounds.

Tony Irish, head of the professional cricket union, the SA Players Association, says T20 is the way to go.

"It’s where the game is going internationally, it’s what the players want to play in and it’s what the fans want to see. The issue is in getting the details right," he says.

This past weekend, the franchise owners met in Dubai, and the next significant event is the T20 Global League draft on August 19, to pick the players. While drafts are usually made for TV, Nair has not yet sold the rights so there is no immediate prospect of it being broadcast on, say, SuperSport.

There will be 15 draft rounds. Players picked in the first half of the draft will get two-year contracts, while those picked in rounds 8-15 will be contracted for a single season. Each franchise will have a roster of 17 players, with two players (a local marquee player and an overseas marquee player such as Kevin Pietersen or Chris Gayle) already having been named.

While Irish sees this as revolutionary for the local game, others believe the logistical know-how and staffing requirements of such a high-intensity tournament is beyond CSA’s capabilities unless it seeks outside help.

Already, a dispute is looming between CSA and SuperSport, which broadcasts cricket in SA. SuperSport believes its current broadcast rights agreement will cover the new tournament but CSA disagrees.

This means SuperSport is unlikely to televise the draft live. CSA may, however, go for the live streaming option, as it did with the tournament launch at the Bulgari hotel, with SuperSport taking snippets on Blitz.

But there are other problems.

T20 tournaments are highly lucrative but highly flammable, attracting a band of roving privateers beholden to nothing but their own swollen bank accounts. Matches in the Caribbean have become so dubious that a specific language has grown up around them, with laptop-wielding match-fixers at games being called "ringsiders."

From a strategic point of view, CSA might be correct in creating the T20 Global League — but it also gives the devil a back door.

CSA has just finished an 18-month match-fixing probe relating to the domestic Ram Slam T20 Challenge, which led to high-profile cricketers, including former Proteas batsman Alviro Petersen and bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe, being banned for various lengths of time. The current free-for-all threatens to duplicate the conditions which led to that disaster.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/fm/features/2017-08-03-the-debacle-behind-the-t20-tournament/

CSA should have prioritized owners from their own country. IPL PSL and BPL excel in that sense. Probably same from BBL and Cpl to a certain extent.

It's a bit of a problem when team owners are not local. Just say for example. How would a local SAffer feel when a team is named Benoni Zalmi? I know I would feel weird that a Pakistani name is used for a SA team. Don't get me wrong, Peshawar Zalmi sounds excellent. I know Pakistani fans would love it. But Benoni Zalmi won't really sound good to a local South African. Add to that most of the owners have no affiliation with the districts themselves, heck there is probably no loyalty just a matter business. And when business is not going too well we know what happens.

And it's pretty ridiculous that they have arranged the league during BPL. BPL infact has even roped in South African nationals on kolpak deal. I wonder how many top international cricketers apart from the 8 Marquee foreigners will be in the draft. Pretty much zero from the subcontinent except for Malinga which means no market in the region known for its cricket craziness

CSA should have prioritized owners from their own country. IPL PSL and BPL excel in that sense. Probably same from BBL and Cpl to a certain extent.

It's a bit of a problem when team owners are not local. Just say for example. How would a local SAffer feel when a team is named Benoni Zalmi? I know I would feel weird that a Pakistani name is used for a SA team. Don't get me wrong, Peshawar Zalmi sounds excellent. I know Pakistani fans would love it. But Benoni Zalmi won't really sound good to a local South African. Add to that most of the owners have no affiliation with the districts themselves, heck there is probably no loyalty just a matter business. And when business is not going too well we know what happens.

And it's pretty ridiculous that they have arranged the league during BPL. BPL infact has even roped in South African nationals on kolpak deal. I wonder how many top international cricketers apart from the 8 Marquee foreigners will be in the draft. Pretty much zero from the subcontinent except for Malinga which means no market in the region known for its cricket craziness

The changed the name of Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel to Trinbago Knight Riders after Shahrukh Khan's Co bought the franchise. There was no uproar in Trinidad/Tobago???

The changed the name of Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel to Trinbago Knight Riders after Shahrukh Khan's Co bought the franchise. There was no uproar in Trinidad/Tobago???

Not an uproar because "knight rider" isn't really a hindi name. Just saying.

i mean exactly everyone in the world knows that chittagong was the birthplace of vikings from where they conquered the entire world.

and comilla was the place where the parents of queen victoria came and were so impressed that they named their daughter victoria.

and of course dynamite was invented in dhaka.

such local resonance. so much emotional bonds. perfect local flair. a perfect history lesson for every single bengali and people the world over.

Most of these T20 tournaments are rumoured to be dodgy.

From the owners, to the auctions, to the cash etc - a lot of it is very cloak and dagger.

From the owners, to the auctions, to the cash etc - a lot of it is very cloak and dagger.

Probably one of the benefits of keeping central control of all the teams like in the BBL.

Lorgat isnt a very good administrator is he?

Lie detector tests on employees?What is this?Gestapo?

SA doesn't have local businesses, or business owners who're interested, to run a tournament on such a global scale especially when cricket isn't that popular in SA. I believe it's the third or fourth most popular sport in SA, they need foreign money to sustain that kind of payments to major players.

T20 Global League already losing money

The T20 Global League (T20GL) has yet to see the lights of day/night but already it’s costing millions in losses.

South Africa’s bid to join the made-for-television T20 circus that has swept the world game and‚ not by accident‚ created a rich stream of revenue‚ is due to be played in November and December.

“What successful competitions like the IPL [Indian Premier League]‚ the Big Bash in Australia and Pakistan’s Super League have shown us is that cricket is no longer just a game – it is now big business‚” Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) latest annual report says in what sounds like breathless anticipation of funnelling some of that business their way.

To hammer the point home‚ the report dangled a carrot: “Global sport sponsorship spend is forecast to reach over US$62-billion and global sporting media rights spend are expected to hit US$45-billion in 2017.”

But elsewhere in the report‚ which was tabled at CSA’s annual meeting at the weekend‚ came the less rosy fact that‚ “During the period under review T20GL generated revenue of R1.2-million and incurred expenses of R4.5-million with a net loss of R3.3-million.”

That’s not news to T20GL team owners‚ who have been told previously that the tournament would take time to turn a profit.

But they will be keen to know how long‚ considering they will likely spend around R100-million a year on running each of their franchises.

It won’t help answer that question that‚ less than two months before the first ball is due to be bowled in the T20GL‚ CSA and SuperSport would seem to be in the throes of a significant difference of opinion over the broadcast rights.

CSA‚ it appears‚ are arguing that they have a spanking new set of rights to sell.

SuperSport‚ apparently‚ are of the view that they already own the rights to cricket played in South Africa.

Both sides stand to lose significantly if this conversation‚ which is ongoing‚ takes a turn for the worse.

CSA could end up not being offered as much buck for their bang as they would like or none at all‚ and if they decide to sell to someone else‚ SuperSport would face the unedifying prospect of having to buy the rights secondhand from another broadcaster to televise a tournament being played in their own backyard.

And buy them they would surely have to: given all the hype around the T20GL their audience wouldn’t take kindly to not being able to watch the cricket.

Or might we be on the cusp of the next stage of the media revolution: a potentially lucrative event broadcast online only‚ which would take middlemen (and they are almost all men) like networks out of the equation?

Not yet‚ probably‚ given the shoddy state of modern communications in South Africa and the fact that boards are still likely to make more money flogging their product to broadcasters than presenting it themselves.

But streaming as the default broadcast option is the future‚ and it’s coming.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/cricket/2017-09-07-t20-global-league-already-losing-money/

A tournament without local owners that to a third or fourth most popular sport in sa is doomed to fail like the srilankan league which has no local owners

SA doesn't have local businesses, or business owners who're interested, to run a tournament on such a global scale especially when cricket isn't that popular in SA. I believe it's the third or fourth most popular sport in SA, they need foreign money to sustain that kind of payments to major players.

Then such a tournament is doomed to fail. You can't rely on foreign investment for these

That;s what happened to every domestic T20, including BBL, perhaps the sole exception being IPL.

PSL earned some profit in 1st edition, although very little....

But CPL hasn't made even a single penny of profit and it has been 5 seasons now... every league made profits after first 2-3 editions...

Well CPL is doing fine, for now.

Cpl had some local investors if I am not wrong?

And as for west indies T20 is still a popular sport.

Having said that what I know is that Cpl doesn't make much profit.

Cpl had some local investors if I am not wrong?

And as for west indies T20 is still a popular sport.

Having said that what I know is that Cpl doesn't make much profit.

It hasn't made any profit till now... 5 seasons already

Not off to the best of starts this tournament is it.

Early signs are not very promising and not encouraging at all.

PSL is not very profitable.PCB is posting huge revenue deficits each year.

http://nation.com.pk/sports/25-May-2017/pcb-posts-huge-rs134-billion-loss

PCB publishes budget according to what narrative it needs to push at a given time. When PCB execs were under fire for excess expenditure, they published a budget that showed millions in profit a couple of years ago. Right now, the current narrative is to make their case with the ICC for "compensation" funds. In less than 12 months, the budget went from millions in profits to big losses. You decide which numbers are real. I say neither.

If you read between the lines, it does mention that PCB made some profit from PSL. I think you're getting mixed up with PCB and PSL.
PCB is making loss, not PSL.

PSL made around 1mn last year.For the amount of effort in organising such a league,thats not enough returns.

PSL made around 1mn last year.For the amount of effort in organising such a league,thats not enough returns.

That is true. Profit was very less, but none the less profit is profit. The only reason i brought up to you because you said Psl didnt made profit which was not true.

That is true. Profit was very less, but none the less profit is profit. The only reason i brought up to you because you said Psl didnt made profit which was not true.

Thing is PCB declared that they made 2.6mn in profit in PSL 1 and then said we have to give 2mn to franchisees so we will only make 600k.

Now they have said they made 1mn in profit in PSL 2. So it has come down from 2.6mn to 1mn.

Thing is PCB declared that they made 2.6mn in profit in PSL 1 and then said we have to give 2mn to franchisees so we will only make 600k.

Now they have said they made 1mn in profit in PSL 2. So it has come down from 2.6mn to 1mn.

Maybe they made $1M net profit which increased from $600K previous year. Again, i may be wrong.

Very true.

Some owners even claim to be an alumni of universities they have never attended ;)

I always presumed that these franchises could be used for money laundering.

Maybe they made $1M net profit which increased from $600K previous year. Again, i may be wrong.

if they made more money than PSL 1 they would have made it public.. it was a curt statement saying they made $1M, which is understandable as the final was held in Lahore. So a chunk of money would have to gone to paying extra to players and security..

Very true.

Some owners even claim to be an alumni of universities they have never attended ;)

In IPL almost all owners are quite well known.Some of them on Forbes list, some owned by listed billion dollar companies. Except that dodgy Kochi IPL team.

PSL has a bit of an issue. Lahore was bought by QALCO, and Rana Fawad is their representative.Similarly Haier bought Peshawar and Jawed Afridi only looks after the Pakistani subsidiary of Haier.

Very true.

That's the very reason for throwing money at these leagues..... started with IPL

In IPL almost all owners are quite well known.Some of them on Forbes list, some owned by listed billion dollar companies. Except that dodgy Kochi IPL team.

PSL has a bit of an issue. Lahore was bought by QALCO, and Rana Fawad is their representative.Similarly Haier bought Peshawar and Jawed Afridi only looks after the Pakistani subsidiary of Haier.

Why does it matter if they were famous or not before the PSL, they are all respectable business owners and financially provide for their team, surely that's all that matters.

Why does it matter if they were famous or not before the PSL, they are all respectable business owners and financially provide for their team, surely that's all that matters.

No i didnt mean that.I am saying that Lahore was bought by QALCO a Qatari company while Peshawar by Haier a Chinese company, people got confused that Rana Fawad and Javed Afridi bought it.QALCO Haier ARY are all well known entities.

No i didnt mean that.I am saying that Lahore was bought by QALCO a Qatari company while Peshawar by Haier a Chinese company, people got confused that Rana Fawad and Javed Afridi bought it.QALCO Haier ARY are all well known entities.

What's the issue? EPL clubs are owned by foreigners, example Manchester City is owned by an UAE group.

Dude firstly you need to understand the basic model of these leagues. Its an investment of atleast 5 years after which it can start giving you returns, so PSL posting profits in its first two years is a big deal in itself.

When it comes to owners, yes QALCO who has got Rana Fawwad as its CEO is the main owner of LQ. However Rana Fawwad, Rana Atif, Rana Sameen and their fourth brother I cant remeber his name, they are pretty rich themselves.

Owners of all other Franchises in PSL are billionaires as well. There is a reason they are buying tems in other leagues as well.

Yes they are not even the 20 or 30 richest groups of Pakistan unlike India where their top groups are buying teams and still they are competing with them in overseas markets.

Last edited:
What's the issue? EPL clubs are owned by foreigners, example Manchester City is owned by an UAE group.

Exactly, and PSL owners are all Pakistanis with their businesses and associations expanded over to different territories which is a commin phenomenon in the business circles.

No issues.I am saying that team iwners are well known entities so saying is money laundering is a far fetched thing.

Dude firstly you need to understand the basic model of these leagues. Its an investment of atleast 5 years after which it can start giving you returns, so PSL posting profits in its first two years is a big deal in itself.

When it comes to owners, yes QALCO who has got Rana Fawwad as its CEO is the main owner of LQ. However Rana Fawwad, Rana Atif, Rana Sameen and their fourth brother I cant remeber his name, they are pretty rich themselves.

Owners of all other Franchises in PSL are billionaires as well. There is a reason they are buying tems in other leagues as well.

Yes they are not even the 20 or 30 richest groups of Pakistan unlike India where their top groups are buying teams and still they are competing with them in overseas markets.

Can you find me the name of any of these PSL owners in the forbes list or bloomberg list?I didnt find one.By billionaires i meant billionaires in dollar terms,Which will mean that the individual or the company is atleast worth 10K PKR.Now Qalco and Haier certainly fulfill that cricteria but individually i havent found any PSL owner to be worth that much.The companies that are buying teams in other leagues are again Haier and QALCO, no doubt they are very deep pocketed companies but hardly Pakistani.

Except Ambanis none of the other top 30 richest Indians own a IPL team.No Mittals or Tatas or Birlas or Adanis or Sanghvis etc etc own a team.

But yet the owners of Delhi Pune Hyderabad Mumbai Punjab are listed as billionaires in USD terms by Forbes. RCB is owned by United Spirits,worlds second largest spirits company with a market cap of 2bn usd.Chennai is owned by India cements which has a matket cap of 1bn USD.Kolkata is owned by SRK who is reportedly the 2nd richest actor in the world and worth nearly 700mn.All these figures can be verified if you google.

So saying these people are money laundering is well.....

Exactly, and PSL owners are all Pakistanis with their businesses and associations expanded over to different territories which is a commin phenomenon in the business circles.

QALCO and HAIER are not Pakistani businesses.

Can you find me the name of any of these PSL owners in the forbes list or bloomberg list?I didnt find one.By billionaires i meant billionaires in dollar terms,Which will mean that the individual or the company is atleast worth 10K PKR.Now Qalco and Haier certainly fulfill that cricteria but individually i havent found any PSL owner to be worth that much.The companies that are buying teams in other leagues are again Haier and QALCO, no doubt they are very deep pocketed companies but hardly Pakistani.

Except Ambanis none of the other top 30 richest Indians own a IPL team.No Mittals or Tatas or Birlas or Adanis or Sanghvis etc etc own a team.

But yet the owners of Delhi Pune Hyderabad Mumbai Punjab are listed as billionaires in USD terms by Forbes. RCB is owned by United Spirits,worlds second largest spirits company with a market cap of 2bn usd.Chennai is owned by India cements which has a matket cap of 1bn USD.Kolkata is owned by SRK who is reportedly the 2nd richest actor in the world and worth nearly 700mn.All these figures can be verified if you google.

So saying these people are money laundering is well.....

Dud I said it already that richest people of Pakistan havent invested in PSL yet while for India their richest people are investing in their league.

QALCO and HAIER are not Pakistani businesses.

Haier in Pakistan is owned by Javed Afridi, he has personally invested in PZ. Its not like Haier China is investing.

QG is owned by Omer Associates, they are Construction giants.

IU is owned by a sports management company of Pakistan Leonine Global Sports

Karachi Kings is owned by ARY (Media House)

As stated richest groups of Pakistan are yet to buy a team.

CSA AND SACA REACH AMICABLE AGREEMENT ON PLAYER T20GL COMPENSATION

Tuesday, 05 December 2017

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) and the South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA) are pleased to announce that amicable agreement has been reached in terms of compensation to be paid to the players who were to play for various franchises in the inaugural 2017 edition of the T20 Global League.

The League was postponed to 2018 in terms of a decision taken by the Board of Directors of CSA at its meeting on 10 October 2017.

Payment will be made in three equal instalments between December 2017 and April 2018.

“I would like to thank SACA for the amicable manner in which this issue was settled in the best interests of South African cricket and the sustainability of its development and international cricket programmes,” commented CSA Acting Chief Executive Thabang Moroe. “The settlement will help bridge the gap between player expectation and the disappointment of having to postpone the league.

“Our players are key stake holders in the game and are also CSA’s most valuable assets which is why we invest heavily in our development programmes to produce our best possible national side.

“We look forward to continuing this positive relationship with our players and their representatives,” concluded Mr. Moroe.

“This was an issue affecting 138 South African and foreign players and we’re very happy that we’ve been able to resolve it for all of them,” said Tony Irish, chief executive of SACA. “The settlement is both fair and responsible and has been well received by the players. I would like to thank Cricket South Africa for its role in ensuring this outcome.”

So they get free pay for no work, I guess cricket must be competing with govt jobs in SA?

This league can be the best T20 exhibition around if it launches already. Cricket in South Africa makes for great viewing and the local talent there consists of ATGs and world class players. Add a few Pakistani stars, English and Aussie T20 specialists, Caribbean mercenaries and some Zimbabwean and Afghan players and you have a superb talent pool.

Haier in Pakistan is owned by Javed Afridi, he has personally invested in PZ. Its not like Haier China is investing.

QG is owned by Omer Associates, they are Construction giants.

IU is owned by a sports management company of Pakistan Leonine Global Sports

Karachi Kings is owned by ARY (Media House)

As stated richest groups of Pakistan are yet to buy a team.

Haier in Pakistan is owned by Haier like Haier all over the world.Javed Afridi is the Ceo, not owner.

Back