The dismal state of Pakistan cricket in 2024

Misbahs_tuktuk

Debutant
Runs
Before I begin I want to note this is a knee jerk reaction to Pakistan and its cricket team. I have had a night to sleep on this and I still woke up like I need to rant and get this off my chest.

Let's begin with the match against India. After the bowlers did extremely well restricting India to 119 our pathetic clown batsmen could even chase that down. I understand it's a bowlers ***** but you had non of the pressure. was it something like 50 needed off the last at with 6-7 wickets?

This wasn't a high level of cricket needed, just singles and twos and hit atleast a boundary every other over would have done it. I am giving the likes of Usman Khan a chance he's a bit new to the team but his dismissal sums it up. Lazy shot, poor technique and throwing your wicket away when you are in complete control.

I don't want to go too much into Rizwan as he is one of two players in the team who has ability to bat, played a stupid shot at the worst time to the worst bowler. He had to be there till the end. It's like they're playing "who can be the most stupid player?" I also think its down to fitness, more tired you get, the lazier your shot selection and thinking process goes

The ones I have issue with are , Imad, Iftikhar , Shadow and Fakher.

How on earth did not a single one of these clowns manage to play a decent innings. All threw their wicket away. Fakher I understand is there to speed up the game but he has no sense what so ever. Wait for the bad ball, if you're coming down the track and the bowler balls it short does he not have the sense to pull out of any aggressive shot?

Imad is a TTF. An absolute joke bowler and offers nothing in batting. should never play for Pakistan again. Same with Shadab, offers nothing in bowling and nothing in batting, it should be his last tournament. Ifthikar , I don't understand how you get to that level of cricket and struggle with full tosses so much. It's clear to see he has a doctored birth certificate and his age his showing. Does have the reflexes or even ability .

I am not expecting the above to be world class players, If they were just competent players they would have got the target with ease.

Babar, on the field as a captain he isn't too bad, when batting his lack of aggression is poor, but the worst thing about him is him selecting his friends and the fans and people of Pakistan having to suffer because of him nepotism. He was not good enough to captain a few months ago, was stripped, then handed it back. Does the PCB have no standards or shame? not only that the player they gave the captaincy to for one month is still in the team. How is he supposed to react?!

Bowlers did well, but Harris Rauf still needs to go, he just doesn't have the mental capacity to bowl smart , to his field. He did well so il let him slide but he isn't good enough.

I feel sorry for Naseem Shah, showed in two balls that boundaries can be hit, just need agreed and fearless cricket, playing shots with the ball , not trying to play across the line or something stupid. he was fantastic with the ball too. He left the field crying, the guy cares, unlike these other morons who probably are slicing cake as we speak.

Ok India game rant aside, now to the PCB. How on earth has it come to the point where the we have 7 selectors and the team is still picked on politics and nepotism?! The PCB don't want to do well, they are a very good mirror of where the county actually is as a whole and it's sad to see. We are a joke. Why is that wasteman Wahab Riaz with them?! when does the selector go on tour with the team. what is his purpose there?! worth nothing he was on who accepted the jacket of money in the news of the world sting in the UK. I have forgotten , these guys are pathetic and corrupt. Nothing will change until the likes of him are kicked out. Living off one FAILED spell in a WC. Honestly do people not have shame. Didn't even manage to take a wicket in that Australia game. The cake cutting, the meet and greets, the eating out in restaurants during a big WC tournament . It's a joke, when the rest of the cricket game is getting more competitive our lot are making the nation look like a joke. They're paid in the top 95% of the country and can't even follow a simple diet or think to stay away from meet and greets to focus on a WC

Im going to sign off with this, I could talk and talk and talk. We could disect tactics, squad selections, what could be done differently, at domestic and international level. But the truth of the matter is, ive been following Pakistan cricket since the 90s. We have had ups and downs, more downs than ups. But I never once felt so disconnect and ashamed of the players. I always felt it was a lack of ability, of course we had clowns and nepotism and politics in the past. But it was never this bad. They still carried themselves with character, Younis Khan averaging good scores. Akram and younis in the 90s. Mohammed Yousaf, even Umar Gul in the noughties in t20.

Even with the hate misbah gets ( and I totally get it ) we managed to skittle England out and get number one in test. With the likes of Abdul rehman as a left arm spinner.

The PCB have created an absolute trash PSL league, as there even been one properly successful player from the PSL who has played at international level and we can call a top 3 batsmen or bowler?

What I'm trying to say is this team is so pathetic , from top down that I struggle to even care. Im done with them. If Canada and Ireland win I won't be shocked. It's not hyperbole we are shifting towards an associate team. The likes of Afghanistan will over take us and its all well deserved.

Congratulations Pakistan Cricket, you've done the one thing you were holding on to for about 2 decades, the unpredictable team where even in the lowest of depths could pull something out of the bag are not even that any more. Predictable , lazy, arrogant and a poor excuse for a test playing nation with the money that they bring in.

Apologies for the long post.

We lost the game in the PP, not when we needed 40 odd at a run a ball.

India played under overcast conditions against one of the best bowling attacks, they still managed to find a way to score 50+ in the PP.

Pakistan came out to bat with the sun shining and not as much moisture in the pitch, Babar and Rizwan got us 35 runs in the PP.

India has the best death bowling attack, a bowling attack that’s good enough to defend 7-8 runs in the last over.

Babar and Rizwan cost us the game, they should’ve scored the bulk of the runs. After all, their fan girls claim that they’re accumulators and that they can bat till the end. They can’t even accumulate?? They can’t play aerial shots in the PP?

Rizwan and Babar went out to bat thinking that we can chase this in 20 overs, whereas other teams would be saying “let’s chase this in 15 overs”.

Teams beyond help just let cricket die its natural death in the country.. heard Canada are resting there best players for tomorrow

But
We lost the game in the PP, not when we needed 40 odd at a run a ball.

India played under overcast conditions against one of the best bowling attacks, they still managed to find a way to score 50+ in the PP.

Pakistan came out to bat with the sun shining and not as much moisture in the pitch, Babar and Rizwan got us 35 runs in the PP.

India has the best death bowling attack, a bowling attack that’s good enough to defend 7-8 runs in the last over.

Babar and Rizwan cost us the game, they should’ve scored the bulk of the runs. After all, their fan girls claim that they’re accumulators and that they can bat till the end. They can’t even accumulate?? They can’t play aerial shots in the PP?

Rizwan and Babar went out to bat thinking that we can chase this in 20 overs, whereas other teams would be saying “let’s chase this in 15 overs”.
still we can't spare our middle order who really bottled it.

Totally agree this is the worst phase. I think it's better to keep playing with Associate nations. For any WC tournaments make them play qualifiers.

But

still we can't spare our middle order who really bottled it.

Can’t blame the middle order when we don’t have one.

Shadab is a number 8.

Imad is a number 8.

Ifthikar is a retired pensioner number 5.

If you’re going to play 4 pace bowlers then you have to strengthen your batting line up, you can’t play 3 “all rounders” with 4 pacers. We basically went into the game with 4 batsmen.

Get 2 of those 4 out early and the last 2 have to score all the runs.

You have two years to prepare for the T20 World Cup and in the most important match your number 5 and number 6 batters are Shadab and Imad. How can you expect win against a top side with such a batting order?

Do not expect any miracles even in 2026 either because with the cricketing system we have we can only get players like Azam Khan and Saim Ayub.

Need to find a whole bunch of talented, intelligent cricketers from somewhere who aren't age fudgers either

Just don't think there are enough in the entire domestic system in PAK.

2015 to 2024 non existent middle order has haunted us yet we can't solve it. Ridiculous that Saud and a few other proper batsmen can't get into this team.

Mentally we are too fragile and cautious which is a reflection of Babar.

Ah well nothing is going to change anyway.

Need to find a whole bunch of talented, intelligent cricketers from somewhere who aren't age fudgers either

Just don't think there are enough in the entire domestic system in PAK.

Our domestic players are a bunch of weak men with no power hitting abilities. They all want to follow Babar and Rizwan with the stat padding.

Our fans used to blame Afridi for “destroying the next generation of cricketers”, now we’re begging for a player like him.

This is exactly what the Anti Afridi brigade deserve.

Our domestic players are a bunch of weak men with no power hitting abilities. They all want to follow Babar and Rizwan with the stat padding.

Our fans used to blame Afridi for “destroying the next generation of cricketers”, now we’re begging for a player like him.

This is exactly what the Anti Afridi brigade deserve.

I don't know about Afridi but PAK definitely need modern versions of :anwar and :moyo .

How much further will we decline as a cricketing nation? Even Afghanistan is ahead of us now.

eCP1rip.jpeg

How much further will we decline as a cricketing nation? Even Afghanistan is ahead of us now.

eCP1rip.jpeg
That's quite a damning statistic.

To think PCB was supposedly preparing so well for 2024 that they even got the Army on board.

The problem is with each year it's only getting worse and worse for Pakistan. And yet they continue to do the same things over and over expecting a diff outcome. Insanity.

Pakistan has been poor but they were that poor???

Ran in the race from 1st position and ended up at the bottom. New low for this team.

Quite amazed with Indian statistics.

Just that narrow loss vs Eng in the Hyderabad test (thanks to a mother of all fluke innings by Pope) and then the loss to Zimbabwe at Harare. Astounding.

Quite amazed with Indian statistics.

Just that narrow loss vs Eng in the Hyderabad test (thanks to a mother of all fluke innings by Pope) and then the loss to Zimbabwe at Harare. Astounding.
yea. Trophy is fine. But consistently winning is also a sign of supremacy. India has been consistently doing well. Fans are happy with their progress.

yea. Trophy is fine. But consistently winning is also a sign of supremacy. India has been consistently doing well. Fans are happy with their progress.
True.

India has been the most dominant team across all formats in the last 10 years. A win Loss ratio of 2.3. Next best is Aus with 1.53. That's a massive gap.

Brace yourself, we Cannot take 20 wickets in Test cricket watch out for a borefest against Bangladesh don't be surprised if we lose because BD spinners are better than us

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Pakistan pacer Mohammad Asif while speaking in an interview on a local YouTube podcast:

"In the case of Pakistan, you are bringing in new coaches 15 days before the ICC T20 World Cup 2024. India, on the other hand, has been preparing for this World Cup for three years, building up their team and planning everything. Even if their B team were playing, they would perform similarly due to the established setup. Rahul Dravid has done great work with the under-19 team, and that batch is coming through and will continue to do so."

"Their Ranji Trophy match fee is higher than our domestic cricket. The biggest loss in our domestic cricket is that our players used to come from department cricket, which has now been abolished. The department used to take 20 boys, and we also have a tradition of recommendations. Even if two boys come through recommendations, 18 players are genuine and try their best to make their department win. If we check our cricket history, all the top players came from department cricket. Currently, our biggest failure in the bowling lineup is that muscle memory is not developed. If you have bowled 20 overs in a day in red-ball cricket, the next day, when you have to bowl the 21st over, you should feel as fresh as on the first day. Without muscle memory, you break down and don't want to play Test cricket."

"The PCB needs to extend our domestic cricket and ensure players bowl as many overs as possible. We have started taking more players from the PSL. What kind of player will come from there? A bowler bowls well for four overs in two matches, but when you put him in Test cricket, he is not a long-distance runner. Now, in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024, the coach does not even know what his team is. In the previous series, there was a different captain, creating a divide-and-rule situation. The players were not listening, contract issues were being discussed, and with so many complications, our team failed."

India played under overcast conditions against one of the best bowling attacks

Pakistan has one of the worst bowling attacks in the world right now, extraordinarily poor..

Could not defend against USA, pathetic bowling throughout the tournament... NY pitch played tricks on the Indian batsmen.. no skill of any Pakistani bowler involved...

Ravi Ashwin in an interview with a YouTube channel:

“I am speaking the truth when I say that the current state of Pakistan cricket and the phase they are going through makes me feel a little sorry. Because some of the most exceptional cricketers have played for Pakistan, and it was such a great team. If you look at it from a cricketer's perspective, this is a proud cricketing nation. And where are they lacking in skill? They have so many skilled players.”

"And sometimes, their whole musical chairs situation is truly something. The music keeps playing, and they just think about grabbing a chair; that's how it feels. In the 2023 World Cup, they lost, and then Babar (Azam) resigned. Then (Shaheen) Afridi was made captain, but Babar was reinstated for limited overs, and Shan Masood was made the Test captain. And look at the situation now – Pakistan hasn't won a Test match at home. I mean, they haven't won a Test match for a long time, maybe around 1000 days. It's been almost 3 years."

“What would I think as a cricketer? Should I focus on my game or on the team? Every cricketer will be so unstable inside the dressing room that he will start thinking about himself and will think less about the team.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravi Ashwin in an interview with a YouTube channel:

“I am speaking the truth when I say that the current state of Pakistan cricket and the phase they are going through makes me feel a little sorry. Because some of the most exceptional cricketers have played for Pakistan, and it was such a great team. If you look at it from a cricketer's perspective, this is a proud cricketing nation. And where are they lacking in skill? They have so many skilled players.”

"And sometimes, their whole musical chairs situation is truly something. The music keeps playing, and they just think about grabbing a chair; that's how it feels. In the 2023 World Cup, they lost, and then Babar (Azam) resigned. Then (Shaheen) Afridi was made captain, but Babar was reinstated for limited overs, and Shan Masood was made the Test captain. And look at the situation now – Pakistan hasn't won a Test match at home. I mean, they haven't won a Test match for a long time, maybe around 1000 days. It's been almost 3 years."

“What would I think as a cricketer? Should I focus on my game or on the team? Every cricketer will be so unstable inside the dressing room that he will start thinking about himself and will think less about the team.”

Every guy is talking about instability in Pakistan cricket but the only entity that should be talking about it is PCB and they are the only ones not talking about it.

Sorry state of cricket in Pakistan. No wonders why Pakistan team is going downhill.

Back