The Scottish Football Thread

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
For years it was regarded as a bit of a joke, but with the Scots beating France home and away in the Euro qualifiers, Rangers beating Lyon 3-0 away and today Celtic beating Milan 2-1, these are great days for the Scots.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great night for Celtic ended on a sour note with Dida carried off on a stretcher after a fan ran on to the park to confront the visiting keeper.

And the home team could be in hot water with Uefa, although the Brazilian appeared to suffer little more than a cheeky slap.

(BBC)

Did anyone see this?

that was amazing acting by Dida..the fan just touched him on the head...first Dida tries to chase him down, sees the fan is too fast...so decides to start acting and get Celtic into even bigger trouble..

Celtic should be penalised but what Dida did was just pathetic

The game here doesn't receive the exposure or publicity of the English Premier league and its only Rangers and Celtic that people know about though in Alex Ferguson's day Aberdeen were a fine side too!.The national team has improved but our style of play still remains very unattractive to watch relying on grit and determination instead of skill :(
That Celtic fan was a fool for running on to the pitch but like most foreigners the Milan keeper made the most of it!

dida is in the wrong proffesion he should be in hollywood it was a classic he looked very stupid going down like that

Alex McLeish has resigned as Scotland manager and BBC Sport understands he will take over as Birmingham boss.
The Blues have called a news conference for Wednesday, where they are expected to unveil the 48-year-old McLeish.

Appointed in January 2007 with a deal running until 2010, McLeish came close to taking Scotland to Euro 2008.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We weren't going to allow him to speak to the club."

The Blues, who received £3m when Steve Bruce left for Wigan, are believed to have agreed a compensation package with the SFA.

"Alex had a contract for another two years until 2010 and we were willing to give him another two years with a much better financial deal," said Smith.

But, despite the prospect of an improved deal for McLeish, the lure of the English top-flight has proved too great for the former Rangers, Hibernian and Motherwell boss.

Smith added: "He has been a terrific manager for Scotland and a great asset to the association.

"He's also been working in other aspects within the SFA, and he's a big loss."

A hint that the Blues had got their man came when caretaker assistant Eric Black quit on Tuesday to join Bruce at Wigan.

"I understand that McLeish agreed to join Birmingham soon after getting off the plane from South Africa this morning where he had been representing Scotland at the World Cup draw," said BBC 5 Live sports reporter Pat Murphy.

"Compensation isn't a problem. The SFA will receive around £1m for releasing McLeish.

"McLeish has long hankered after managing a club in the Premier League and he was interviewed for the West Brom job three years ago.

"His playing credentials as a lion-hearted defender, capped 77 times by Scotland, and his clutch of trophies picked up as Rangers manager will guarantee him respect in the Birmingham dressing room."

The SFA will now hold a meeting on Wednesday to discuss who will succeed McLeish.

BBC 5 Live Scottish football correspondent Roddy Forsyth said disappointed Scotland fans should wish McLeish well on his move south of the border.

"He's the second inspirational manager to quit Scotland within 11 months," he said.

"But while the Tartan Army were able to understand Walter Smith being unable to resist the lure of Rangers second time around, they'll be more baffled by McLeish's choice of Birmingham, a club with a modest fanbase and an uncertain future.

"The fans may not thank McLeish for going, but he deserves their gratitude for what he did during those marvellous 11 months."

Forsyth's view was echoed by Scotland and Rangers legend Ally McCoist.

"Without doubt it's their gain and Scotland's loss," said McCoist, who worked with the national team alongside Smith.

"It's been a fantastic campaign under the big man and I genuinely wish him all the very, very best."

thats a big blow for Scotland, he did a brilliant job with Scotland and imo it was vital he remained if they were to qualify for the World Cup

I dont blame him - whats he going to be doing for the next 10 months before the WC2010 Qualifiers begin?

Personally, I think he is slightly overhyped - did well to nearly qualify, but I believe Walter Smith was the main architect of Scotlands new found resurgence in qualification.

I'm sure Macleish realises this - and rather than wait for say a 'Newcastle' or 'Villa' type vacancy - which is a reality...he's gone 'downmarket' (IMO) to pick a team like Birmingham....beacuse 'Big' clubs wont look his way!

Apparently he'll be earning 4 times as much at Brum! - The Premiership is where its happening...and that includes the $$$.

I'm sure he'll take Birmingham down - and be sacked!!!

Succesors to Macleish???

Well they have a bigger list of possibles than England!!!

I suggest it will be from Graeme Souness / Billy Davies / Gary Macallister / Craig Levine / Stev Maclaren :)))

I dont know why Souness keeps getting mentioned with all these jobs. His track record is awful and his man management skills were awful.

Saj said:
I dont know why Souness keeps getting mentioned with all these jobs. His track record is awful and his man management skills were awful.

Saj - he's unemployed - he needs a job - SFA is a poor body....and Souness will come cheap. (Surprised George Graham hasnt got a shout - he ALWAYS does!)

Scotland will NOT get the best man for the job - they will get someone is is desperate to take it.

Fact is Macleish went the first hint of an offer - 88 year old Walter Smith who had done it all - STILL ditched teh Scottish job for another crack at club management.

Outside England - the Scot/Welsh/Irish jobs are a 'step down'...you have virtually nobodies or hasbeen's in those positions! Or those using it as a stepping stone to club mangt

The Might John Toashack / Nigel Worthington / Stevie Staunton (and he couldnt hack it!)

Last edited:
As you say Oxy, the Scottish, Irish, Welsh jobs are just stepping stones to a Premiership job.

As for Souness, I always remember the story about him pinning David Burrows against the wall in the dressing room at half time :)

Another great night for Bonny Scotland.

Who would have thought that both Celtic and Rangers could be in the CL last 16.

Saj said:
As for Souness, I always remember the story about him pinning David Burrows against the wall in the dressing room at half time :)

aye, he was a bit of a lad was souness, would have been great to see him play on the same era as keane and vierra

he was pretty good in boys from the blackstuff too; Yosser:"you're grahame souness, you like me"

Rangers 1-0 Celtic

from bbc.co.uk/sport
Kevin Thomson picked an opportune moment to score his first goal for Rangers as they went six points clear of Celtic at the top of the SPL.

Celtic settled first and Scott Brown squandered two superb chances when his control deserted him in the box.

On 44 minutes, Thomson played a clever one-two with Jean-Claude Darcheville before tucking the ball under Artur Boruc to give the home side the lead.

Allan McGregor made a great save from Andreas Hinkel to keep Rangers ahead.

Mcgregor, Barry Ferguson, Christian Dailly and Lee McCulloch all returned from injury after missing Scotland's friendly against Croatia in midweek.

Frenchman Jean-Claude Darcheville made his Old Firm debut as the lone striker.

But his striking counterpart Scott McDonald was left on the bench by Celtic manager Gordon Strachan, with Georgios Samaras partnering Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink up front.

Straight from kick-off, Boruc launched a huge punt aimed at the head of Vennegoor of Hesselink as Celtic indicated how they were set to play.

It was a typically frantic, disjointed and mostly aerial battle from the start, with both sides engaging in an extended game of heady tennis.

Vennegoor of Hesselink failed to connect with Aiden McGeady's menacing cross, while McCulloch flashed a header just wide at the other end.

Celtic were enjoying marginally the better of the early possession without posing any real threat until Samaras threaded a neat ball into the path of Brown in the Rangers box.

The midfielder found himself clean through on McGregor.

But, as he attempted to shoot, the ball got caught under his feet and the Rangers goalkeeper did well to scramble the ball away.

Brown ghosted in at the Rangers back-post after 32 minutes, latching on to Samaras' weak header, but he was again thwarted by McGregor.

Rangers were dangerous on the counter-attack and created a flurry of chances in the space of the four minutes approaching half-time.

First, Carlos Cuellar had a header cleared off the line then Ferguson's snap-shot from 12 yards was saved by Boruc.

A quick Celtic break saw Brown in space inside the Rangers box, but again his touch let him down and Rangers punished the mistake, countering at speed.

The impressive Thomson gathered the ball on the edge of the Celtic penalty area and ran towards goal.

He prodded the ball through to Jean-Claude Darcheville, who timed his return pass to perfection.

Thomson ran on to it and swept the ball low under Boruc for a classy finish.

The Ibrox side were spraying the ball about with confidence after the break as Celtic struggled to get hold of the ball.

But Hinkel brought out an athletic save from McGregor after 64 minutes when he unleashed a rising shot from 25 yards.

McGregor leapt to tip the ball over the bar to keep Rangers ahead.

Rangers substitute Nacho Novo twice broke clear in the final 10 minutes, but Boruc was equal to his rifled efforts.

Charlie Adam almost put the match beyond Celtic with minutes to go with a snap-shot from the edge of the box, but Boruc again denied Rangers.

Rangers are now 6 points clear with a game in hand - with 3 games remaining the title should be theirs :14:

walter smith is an excellent coach, so no surprise rangers are doing well. especially after that french guy the had in charge.

Ghoshtbuster said:
walter smith is an excellent coach, so no surprise rangers are doing well. especially after that french guy the had in charge.

Yeah Le Guen did struggle at Rangers

He came with a big reputation BUT failed to live up to it

and i think there are about 8 games left, the table splits in half soon and then the top half plays each other again.

But yea, its all in rangers' hands now.

Ghoshtbuster said:
and i think there are about 8 games left, the table splits in half soon and then the top half plays each other again.

But yea, its all in rangers' hands now.

Ah right - I thought 3 games was a little less

So when the table splits do the sides play each other twice or just the once?

3 home, 2 away. or 2 home 3 away.

they try to work it out so that at the end of the season every team has played same number of home and away games. although it might not always work out that way exactly.

as for which exact game is home or away, i think its luck of the draw

SPL set up Old Firm double-header

from bbc.co.uk/sport
Defending champions Celtic will host leaders Rangers twice inside 11 days in the Scottish Premier League run-in.

The announcement of the post-split fixtures threw up a double-header that could decide the destiny of the title.

The Old Firm rivals meet on Wednesday 16 April - in the rearranged New Year fixture - and again on Sunday 27 April.

In the race for third place, Hibernian will not be happy at having to visit Dundee United at Tannadice for a third time this season.

The Ibrox side still have outstanding fixtures to play at St Mirren and Motherwell and dates for those games will depend on how they fare in the Uefa Cup.

According to the new schedule, Rangers' final four league games see them travel to Hibernian, host Motherwell and Dundee United before finishing the season at Aberdeen.

Celtic, who trail by seven points having played a game extra, have one more pre-split fixture to play at Motherwell on Sunday.

Their final three games are at Motherwell again, at home to Hibs, before a final-day trip to Dundee United.

Struggling Gretna, who are in administration and were relegated weeks ago, have just one home fixture as they aim to get to the end of what has been a troubled season.

Post-split fixtures in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League (1500 kick-off time unless stated)

ROUND 34
TOP SIX
Saturday, April 19
Celtic v Aberdeen
Sunday, April 20
Dundee United v Hibernian (1400)
Wednesday, May 7
Rangers v Motherwell (1945)
BOTTOM SIX
Saturday, April 19
Falkirk v Gretna
Hearts v St Mirren
Inverness v Kilmarnock

ROUND 35
TOP SIX
Saturday, April 26
Aberdeen v Hibernian
Sunday, April 27
Celtic v Rangers (kick-off time TBC)
Monday, April 28
Motherwell v Dundee United (1945)
BOTTOM SIX
Saturday, April 26
Hearts v Inverness
Kilmarnock v Gretna
St Mirren v Falkirk

ROUND 36
TOP SIX
Saturday, May 3
Aberdeen v Dundee United
Motherwell v Celtic (1230)
Sunday, May 4
Hibernian v Rangers (1400)
BOTTOM SIX
Saturday, May 3
Inverness v Gretna
St Mirren v Kilmarnock
Monday, May 5
Falkirk v Hearts (1945)

ROUND 37

TOP SIX
Saturday, May 10
Motherwell v Aberdeen
Rangers v Dundee United (1230)
Sunday, May 11
Celtic v Hibernian (1230)
BOTTOM SIX
Saturday, May 10
Falkirk v Inverness
Hearts v Kilmarnock
St Mirren v Gretna

ROUND 38
TOP SIX
Sunday, May 18
Aberdeen v Rangers (1330)
Dundee United v Celtic (1330)
Hibernian v Motherwell (1330)
BOTTOM SIX
Saturday, May 17
Gretna v Hearts
Inverness v St Mirren
Kilmarnock v Falkirk

I hope Scotland make the World Cup. They got a quality captain I heard :p

Geordie Ahmed said:
Didnt know you was a Barry Ferguson fan?

I meant their captain when they were qualifying for Euro and Ferguson was injured! You know who I am talking about!

Though, I think Ferguson is a decent middy.

Amir said:
Though, I think Ferguson is a decent middy.
We all thought that .... he might be good in Scotch Potch football - but wouldnt cut it in the Premiership - Championship perhaps.

Oxy said:
We all thought that .... he might be good in Scotch Potch football - but wouldnt cut it in the Premiership - Championship perhaps.

I think he would do all right in the Premiership, like Ghosht mentioned he wasnt too bad for Rovers - admittedly he wont be top dog like he is in Scotland BUT a mid-table club would suit him

Rangers in the UEFA cup final has certainly got people talking especially as many English clubs were eliminated in the earlier rounds. ;-)

In a family full of Celtic supporters i am the only one who supports Rangers!.We're gonna win it all this season!!.Follow....follow....

Geordie Ahmed said:
yeah all the exits :D

That's comin' from a Geordie!.I recall an interview by Shaka Hislop where he let others know about the city of Newcastle!! :))) :)))

Nakhuda said:
That's comin' from a Geordie!.I recall an interview by Shaka Hislop where he let others know about the city of Newcastle!! :))) :)))

Good stuff - what exactly did he say then?

Its always nice to hear a different view point like? :19:

It was a few years back when Shaka was interviewed by some Footie magazine!.Basically he said the city of Newcastle had little going for it and racism had become a part of life!

Nakhuda said:
It was a few years back when Shaka was interviewed by some Footie magazine!.Basically he said the city of Newcastle had little going for it and racism had become a part of life!

Ah okay - didnt know he felt that way.

Altho im not too fussed, cos you have the likes of Sir Les, Nobby etc etc saying the opposite.

Geordie Ahmed said:
Ah okay - didnt know he felt that way.

Altho im not too fussed, cos you have the likes of Sir Les, Nobby etc etc saying the opposite.

So basically you're agreeing with me that every city has its negatives and positives depending on the experiences you have.

Nakhuda said:
So basically you're agreeing with me that every city has its negatives and positives depending on the experiences you have.

No

BUT more importantly the title race will go to the last day - altho its in Celtics hands

Geordie Ahmed said:
No

BUT more importantly the title race will go to the last day - altho its in Celtics hands

What do you mean "no" unless you can name a city that is perfect and resembles heaven!!? :13:
I watched the Rangers match with my two bro's who are Celtic fans so was up against it!.We'll put them in their place on Thursday then i'll have the last laugh which will be the loudest!! :11:

Nakhuda said:
What do you mean "no" unless you can name a city that is perfect and resembles heaven!!? :13:
I watched the Rangers match with my two bro's who are Celtic fans so was up against it!.We'll put them in their place on Thursday then i'll have the last laugh which will be the loudest!! :11:

yes, Dubai :11:

I think Celtic will win, Rangers have messed it up big time

Geordie Ahmed said:
yes, Dubai :11:

I think Celtic will win, Rangers have messed it up big time

Dubai is heaven!!? :)) How do the labourers get treated!!? :p

Nakhuda said:
Dubai is heaven!!? :)) How do the labourers get treated!!? :p

I never said its heaven, its as close to perfect as you are gonna get.

The labourers get treated a DAMN sight better than in their own countries

Geordie Ahmed said:
I never said its heaven, its as close to perfect as you are gonna get.

The labourers get treated a DAMN sight better than in their own countries

The labourers get treated far better in the UK then Dubai so this country is miles ahead when it comes to equal opportunities.Its a rich man's playground but if we're talking abroad then i much prefer the far east then any Arab land.

Nakhuda said:
The labourers get treated far better in the UK then Dubai so this country is miles ahead when it comes to equal opportunities.Its a rich man's playground but if we're talking abroad then i much prefer the far east then any Arab land.

maybe so BUT it isnt that easy to get into this country especially for work

Dubai has loads of construction work going on and it allows these guys to EARN money - something that they cudnt do in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc and that money feeds their families and allows their children to get an education

Yes in an ideal world they would be getting paid a healthy wage BUT it isnt an ideal world, atleast Dubai is giving them something - maybe if Pakistan etc were not in a terrible state these guys would not have to go abroad to find work

You can criticise and abuse Dubai BUT they are not as bad as you make them out to be

The only far eastern place i would consider is Malaysia - even then Dubai is a more safer country so i still prefer that

Last edited:
Geordie Ahmed said:
maybe so BUT it isnt that easy to get into this country especially for work

Dubai has loads of construction work going on and it allows these guys to EARN money - something that they cudnt do in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc and that money feeds their families and allows their children to get an education

Yes in an ideal world they would be getting paid a healthy wage BUT its an ideal world, atleast Dubai is giving them something - maybe if Pakistan etc were not in a terrible state these guys would not have to go abroad to find work

You can criticise and abuse Dubai BUT they are not as bad as you make them out to be

The only far eastern place i would consider is Malaysia - even then Dubai is a more safer country so i still prefer that

Again you're getting carried away Geordie without really thinking!.This discussion began comparing British city's so where did Pak appear from!!?For the record nowhere have i said that Pakistan is a better place then Dubai and neither have i "abused" the latter!!.Yes the Arab's of Dubai are extremely arrogant thus i much prefer Malaysia or even Japan and Hong Kong.
However i agree that if Pak was a fully developed nation with opportunity and social justice then most of Pak expats/immigrants would be happy to live there.

Last edited:
Nakhuda said:
Again you're getting carried away Geordie without really thinking!.This discussion began comparing British city's so where did Pak appear from!!?For the record nowhere have i said that Pakistan is a better place then Dubai and neither have i "abused" the latter!!.Yes the Arab's of Dubai are extremely arrogant thus i much prefer Malysia or even Japan and Hong Kong.
However i agree that if Pak was a fully developed nation with opportunity and social justice then most of Pak expats/immigrants would be happy to live there.

Actually it didnt. This is how it went

1) I made a joke about Glasgow. You obviously got offended

2) You mentioned Shaka Hislop - I cudnt care less

3) You asked me to name A CITY that is perfect and resembles heaven (not you did not say British City, you simply said A city) so i mentioned Dubai

4) You obviously like many people on this site dissed their treatment of labourers

5) I mentioned those Labourers home countries do jack for them hence they are in Dubai (that is how Pak got into the conversation)

Going full circle - I have never been to Glasgow so am not really qualified to comment. I was just kidding about it being rubbish

Only really been to 2 scottish cities, Edinburgh and Inverness

Geordie Ahmed said:
Actually it didnt. This is how it went

1) I made a joke about Glasgow. You obviously got offended

2) You mentioned Shaka Hislop - I cudnt care less

3) You asked me to name A CITY that is perfect and resembles heaven (not you did not say British City, you simply said A city) so i mentioned Dubai

4) You obviously like many people on this site dissed their treatment of labourers

5) I mentioned those Labourers home countries do jack for them hence they are in Dubai (that is how Pak got into the conversation)

Going full circle - I have never been to Glasgow so am not really qualified to comment. I was just kidding about it being rubbish

Only really been to 2 scottish cities, Edinburgh and Inverness

I assumed you'd realise that we were discussing only British city's anyway you admit that Dubai isn't perfect meaning it has its faults so my point is made!.Actually i didn't get offended at all as Glasgow has many critics too but wanted to get the aforementioned point across!
I've already made my point in regards to Pak but if i were to live abroad it wouldn't be in an Arab country.Well i've gotta job to do so better get on with it!!

Last edited:
Nakhuda said:
I assumed you'd realise that we were discussing only British city's anyway you admit that Dubai isn't perfect meaning it has its faults so my point is made!.Actually i didn't get offended at all as Glasgow has many critics too but wanted to get the aforementioned point across!
I've already made my point in regards to Pak but if i were to live abroad it wouldn't be in an Arab country.Well i've gotta job to do so better get on with it!!

ofcourse it isnt perfect BUT its as good as it gets

Erm...Scottish football?

Well Rangers have blown it big time!

Level on points with a game to go; Celtic have a superioir GD.

Celtic should win this title.

So much for the Quadruple for Rangers!

Oxy said:
Erm...Scottish football?

Well Rangers have blown it big time!

Level on points with a game to go; Celtic have a superioir GD.

Celtic should win this title.

So much for the Quadruple for Rangers!

I agree - it looks like it will just be the double for Rangers

The Uefa Cup was obviously a tough one to win BUT they ballsed up the league big time - they had a comfortable lead BUT the 2 wins for Celtic in the Old Firm changed things

Celtic fans must be laughing their heads off - I bet they had written off their chances of winning

Nakhuda said:
Only a few hours now for Rangers too secure the league!!. :19:

Not quite

They lost 2-0 away to Aberdeen - whilst Celtic won 1-0 away to Dundee

Celtic are crownd SPL champions

Rangers' results following big European games cost them. They werent expecting to reach the final, and it just took it out of them.

I was cheering for Rangers throughout the season but hlad they lost in the end. They deserve nothing less after ruining two parades for us.

Amir said:
I was cheering for Rangers throughout the season but hlad they lost in the end. They deserve nothing less after ruining two parades for us.

ruining two parades? :20:

Geordie Ahmed said:
ruining two parades? :20:

Manchester Police (because of Rangers fan violence) had us cancel our premier league parade. And now they are sayign we cant have our second (Champs league).

2 parades for 2 trophies. :D

Last edited:
Amir said:
Manchester Police (because of Rangers fan violence) had us cancel our premier league parade. And now they are sayign we cant have our second (Champs league).

2 parades for 2 trophies. :D

Right okay, i sort of guessed that BUT what im struggling to understand is why a parade getting cancelled in Manchester, England would bother someone living in Toronto many many miles away? :20: :20:

Unless ofcourse you were planning to visit

Not so much about me but I believe the players really deserve a parade for what they have accomplished.

Not so much about me but I believe the players really deserve a parade for what they have accomplished.

Rangers are back.

Rangers have won their 55th Scottish top-flight title after Celtic's 0-0 draw against Dundee United at Tannadice on Sunday officially ended their bid for 10-in-a-row.

Celtic needed to take maximum points from their trip to Dundee United after Rangers' 3-0 win over St Mirren on Saturday took them to the brink of securing their first Premiership title since 2011.

To compound matters for Celtic, a plane carrying a banner reading "Can you see us now?! #55titles", presumably arranged by Rangers supporters, flew over the stadium just minutes into the match.

Former Rangers chairman Dave King insists there is no chance of manager Steven Gerrard leaving Ibrox to become Liverpool manager in the near future. (Glasgow Times)

GIOVANNI VAN BRONCKHORST has today agreed to become the 17th permanent manager of Rangers Football Club.

The 46 year-old former Light Blues player is a hugely respected and vastly experienced figure in the game, and joins Gers subject to receipt of a work permit.

van Bronckhorst is a phenomenally decorated player both at club level and on the international stage for The Netherlands, while as a manager, he returned glory to Rotterdam’s Feyenoord in the Eredivise and in cup competitions – winning five trophies during his successful time at De Kuip.

Born in 1975, van Bronckhorst came through the Feyenoord academy system, winning the Dutch Cup in 1995. With his reputation growing across Europe, Ibrox came calling for the first time as Gio joined Rangers as part of Dick Advocaat’s Dutch revolution.

His playing time in Glasgow was laden with success and five Rangers trophies as he won two league titles, two Scottish Cups and a League Cup while making 118 appearances and scoring 22 goals in the process.

His form and his regular participation in a fine Holland side was always going to attract significant attention, and he joined Arsenal in the summer of 2001, spending two years at Highbury under Arsene Wenger where he won the Premier League and the FA Cup during a successful time in North London before moving to Spain to join Barcelona in 2003.

He was a key part of the Barcelona side which would go on to enjoy incredible success, initially under his countryman Frank Rijkaard, and van Bronckhorst’s spell at Camp Nou saw him collect winners’ medals in the Champions League in 2006, and twice in La Liga in 2005 and then 2006.

The lure of a return to Rotterdam and Feyenoord would prove to be too hard for him to turn down, however, and he returned there to finish off his club career in three seasons from 2007 to 2010.

The final match of his career came with the national team, with that being on the biggest stage of all at the World Cup final in 2010. After netting a memorable goal in the semi-final to help the Dutch past Uruguay, van Bronckhorst captained his side against Spain, where they were eventually defeated late in extra-time. In all, he claimed 106 caps for The Netherlands placing him fifth in the list of their most-capped players.

After retirement, he began his coaching career at Feyenoord, initially under Ronald Koeman and then Fred Rutten, before earning the chance to become manager of the Rotterdam club for the 2015-16 season.

He won the Dutch Cup in his first full season, and then won Feyenoord’s first league title in 18 years in 2017 along with a Johan Cruyff Shield, and added another Dutch Cup and Johan Cruyff Shield in 2018 before leaving at the end of the 2018/19 campaign.

Following Feyenoord, he had a spell gaining further experience within the City Football Group, owners of Manchester City among other clubs, and most recently he managed Guangzhou R&F in the Chinese Super League.

That time was disrupted enormously with the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, and after returning to his native Netherlands to spend time with his family, he is ready for his next challenge in the game.

Rangers Chairman, Douglas Park, commented: “I am delighted to welcome Giovanni as our manager to begin a new era and build further on what has already been achieved at the club.

“The team is in a good position on the park and, as a board, we will support both Giovanni and Ross Wilson to continue to make Rangers a success.

I wish Giovanni all the very best in his role and look forward to working closely alongside him.
On his appointment, van Bronckhorst continued: “I am absolutely delighted to be returning to Rangers as the club’s new manager.

“I feel so lucky to be going to work with a squad which is in a great position on all fronts and largely has that experience of being winners.

“I look forward to carrying on and enhancing the work that has been done already alongside Ross Wilson and the board of the club, and I’m grateful for the chance to work again at this huge football club.

I cannot wait to meet the club’s incredible supporters again and begin this new era for us all.

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson, added: “I am delighted to welcome Gio back to Rangers. He was respected throughout Europe as a player and has already shown why he has that same respect as a coach.

“Gio has already shown himself to be a winner, he knows the club, he knows the quality of the squad and is absolutely aligned with our approach and mindset.

Outside of the formal discussions, Gio and I have already had numerous other informal conversations and I can see how excited he is. I am looking forward to introducing him to the squad soon.

“Gio has been part of a long list of managers we have been tracking for a period of time to ensure we are always ready. When Steven intimated his decision last Wednesday, we immediately got to work on what was then a focused shortlist. We held initial talks within 48 hours and concluded our decision making within six days of the role becoming available.

“We found agreement with Gio extremely quickly and we have enjoyed working with him on assembling the backroom team that will complement an already excellent support staff that we have built here at Rangers.”

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/r...bronckhorst-as-manager/2gwO7Q3sem0TSexc1jOy8I

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60203376

<b>Aaron Ramsey: Rangers medical for Juventus man as Mateusz Zukowski signs</b>

Aaron Ramsey is in Glasgow for a medical to join Rangers on loan from Juventus.

The Wales midfielder, 31, has been in talks with the Scottish Premiership leaders, who visit Celtic on Wednesday.

Ramsey has not appeared for Juve since making a substitute appearance in the Champions League in October.

Meanwhile, Rangers have signed Mateusz Zukowski from Lechia Gdansk for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

Zukowski's arrival on a three-and-a-half-year contract comes four weeks on from fellow right-back Nathan Patterson's £12m move to Everton.

Winger Amad Diallo joined Rangers on loan from Manchester United last week, scoring on his debut in Saturday's 3-3 draw with Ross County, and James Sands arrived on an 18-month loan from New York City, with a view to a permanent move.

Rangers manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst has lost midfielder Ianis Hagi to injury for the rest of the season. Jermain Defoe departed, with fellow striker Cedric Itten recalled from a loan at Greuther Furth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60186263

<b>Aaron Ramsey made his much-anticipated Rangers debut as they thumped Hearts to prevent Celtic extending their one-point Scottish Premiership lead.</b>

The hosts, chastened by a midweek Old Firm derby defeat, responded to Celtic's 4-0 beating of Motherwell with a rousing Ibrox victory of their own.

The influential Alfredo Morelos netted in each half and teed up Glen Kamara to score after Hearts spurned big chances, before Scott Arfield added a well-taken fourth and Fashion Sakala rounded off the rout.

Ramsey, the Juventus loanee and marquee January addition, was given the final 14 minutes by Giovanni van Bronckhorst, and with his side 4-0 up, could scarcely have dreamed of an easier debut against the side now 16 points back in third spot.

This was a game in which Morelos underlined his importance, a day when the striker's influence, dynamism and class told again and again.

In the three matches they played while he was an unused member of the Colombia squad, Rangers have laboured. They have missed their attacking fulcrum dearly.

Many of the 50,000 inside Ibrox on Sunday will have wondered why his country took him halfway across the world not only to leave him out of their line-ups, but out of the match-day squads altogether.

In any case, Van Bronckhorst will rejoice at his return - not least after the meek and wounding nature of the defeat at Celtic Park on Wednesday.

Morelos laced a bustling performance with bright flashes of subtlety. His goals were ruthlessly dispatched, the first stemming from a sumptuous Calvin Bassey pass and Ryan Kent delivery; the second an emphatic left-foot curler from the edge of the box.

If it was fortuitous that Morelos' attempted through-ball ricocheted straight back to his feet, then the striker did enough to earn his stroke of luck, and was deadly enough to seize it. The third, coolly taken by Kamara, was a product of the Colombian's terrific flick.

His link-up play throughout was first-class and repeatedly put Hearts' central defence - devoid of Craig Halkett and Rangers-bound John Souttar - under duress. He bamboozled them with his footwork and steamrolled Taylor Moore en route to the box when only Craig Gordon denied him a hat-trick. The Hearts custodian did so again with virtually the final act of the match.

Morelos' second, though, had been the pivotal moment. For if Rangers had come flying out of the traps in the first half, they began the second still asleep in them.

Trailing 1-0, Hearts could have been level when Nathaniel Atkinson could not convert a glorious Stephen Kingsley ball, and really should have been when Bassey's terribly weak header fell short of Allan McGregor, and Cammy Devlin scooped wide.

Ibrox grew volatile and riven with angst, much of it aimed at Willie Collum, the referee.

But with one sweep of his left boot, Morelos eased the anxiety boiling in home ranks. With a twitch of his right, he sent Kamara screaming into the box, where the Finn dummied one flailing defender and slotted home.

Rangers applied lashings of icing to their cake late on, Arfield finishing at the second attempt after a super Kent pick-out, and Sakala converting neatly with six minutes left.

Beating Hearts - even beating them 5-0 - does not salve the wounds inflicted by Celtic, but after flat-lining on Wednesday, Rangers' pulse is strong again.

Rangers' mentality has been questioned this season, by outsiders and their own.

After smithereening Celtic's bid for 10 in a row, did they have it within themselves to go again? As recently as November, when Hibernian dumped them out of the League Cup, Connor Goldson said he felt his team had "lost a bit of hunger".

They needed to prove their mettle on Sunday after what Celtic did to them. This was a resounding response.

Hearts will be crestfallen at how badly this ended for them. Though Rangers bossed the game, there were chances out there, but the Edinburgh side couldn't take them.

Their moments to grab the game by the scruff arrived early in that second half. Their ambition, build-up play and cohesion was laudable; their finishing was not.

Back