Thousands of empty seats expected for England’s first Test against India

Joseph Gomes

First Class Star
Runs
Swaths of empty seats could prove a troubling backdrop during the opening exchanges of England’s first Test against India, with Edgbaston reporting low ticket sales for what is meant to be the highlight of the cricketing summer.

Warwickshire fear there could be up to 10,000 tickets unsold on both days one and two of England’s 1,000th men’s Test. Officials at the club have put what could be a disappointing turnout down to a Wednesday start that means the ground will not likely be filled up until Friday and Saturday.

While ticket sales for the Ashes series next summer will doubtless be strong, figures for this week at the 25,000-capacity Edgbaston demonstrate the challenge of marketing midweek Test cricket outside London; a Saturday start for the third Test in Nottingham could also throw up a similar concern later in that match.

India, meanwhile, have shrugged off suggestions that they are going into the series undercooked. Ajinkya Rahane, their vice-captain, claims the true challenge over five Tests will be their mindset given the two sides should be evenly matched.

The tourists cut short their one-off warm-up in Chelmsford by one day – much to the chagrin of Essex, who had to refund 2,000 tickets – in order to travel to Birmingham and begin preparations, only for rain on Sunday to delay their practice by 24 hours.

Despite the opener Shikhar Dhawan registering a pair in that tour match, and the No 3 Cheteshwar Pujara averaging a meagre 14 across 12 innings in the County Championship during a spell with Yorkshire this summer, Rahane was bullish about their build-up.

“We are not worried at all as both are quality batsmen,” he said. “It just takes one good innings to get into your rhythm. We’ve had decent practice and during the [Chelmsford] match we netted morning and afternoon, too. More than skills, it’s about our mindset; it’s how quickly you adjust and handle the situation. In terms of skill the teams are on par.”

India are also without the injured Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah for the start of the series – two of the seamers behind Virat Kolhi’s side claiming 60 wickets across three Tests in South Africa this year – but Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma are expected to demonstrate the depth of Kohli’s pace attack.

Rahane said: “We have an attack that can disrupt opponents. They need to back themselves and believe that our bowling unit is the best in the world.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/30/england-india-test-cricket

Last edited by a moderator:
It really surprising to see in England but, Natwest Blast T20 might have played a role as well.
Test Championship is the need of the hour as matches with purpose will bring in more people.

The test series should have been held one month earlier

Heck the premier league starts in little over a week and we still haven't had the test series started

It really is ridiculous

Looks like the Indian expats see the writing on the wall already.

Test Cricket is failing, failing and failing... In England it is only for boring old pensioners anyway.

Test Cricket is failing, failing and failing... In England it is only for boring old pensioners anyway.

Kids these days can't even stop for 3 seconds without scrolling on Instagram lol. Imagine their surprise if someone tells them that there is a 'sport' which lasts 5 days. Only reasons tests are alive is because of the oldies in England and Aus. Once the baby boomers die tests will vanish without trace.

Kids these days can't even stop for 3 seconds without scrolling on Instagram lol. Imagine their surprise if someone tells them that there is a 'sport' which lasts 5 days. Only reasons tests are alive is because of the oldies in England and Aus. Once the baby boomers die tests will vanish without trace.

Based on one of earlier posts test is survived only because of Indians,now Indians not attending matches 10000 seats are empty in ground of 20000 :))

The Ashes always sell out.

It attracts people of all ages.

Why the ageism? If you talk to pensioners you might learn something. They know stuff you don’t because they have lived longer.

Why the ageism? If you talk to pensioners you might learn something. They know stuff you don’t because they have lived longer.

Ashes isn't very significant outside Eng and Aus, is it? Ashes doing well doesn't mean Test format is doing well. Mind you, Test Cricket is already in massive decline in England compared to LOIs.

"While series against India have long been seen as premium events for the grounds vying for hosting rights, these figures suggest that the Test format no longer attracts spectators in the way the shorter formats do - these sides recently played six limited-overs games in front of full houses in England and Wales - and that only Ashes Tests can all but guarantee sell-out stadiums."

He’s right actually. Test match crowd in England is mostly composed of pensioners who are bored of playing bingo and some cross dressers.

Off course the pensioners are wise and knowledgeable, through whom everyone can learn a lot. I didn't mean it in a demeaning way but it's also a fact that the kids and teenagers in England today do not share the same appeal for Cricket . Look at the Cricket Crowd in Lords and most grounds in England during Test Matches, it's mainly Old guys in Suits and Tie attending the games hardly any kids.

The kids of today are going to be the fans of the future. Don't know how long are you Purists going to keep bragging about the Ashes being sold out, seems like conserving the Tradition in it's current form for as long as possible is important than spreading the game to future generations.

Wednesday start was a terrible decision, attendances are always much better with a Thursday or preferably a Friday start.

Yes, Wednesday start was terrible and I feel by Friday evening, the match will already be over. So, a waste all in all.

May be because they feel India is a minnow team, and rightly so because we have historically struggled in England. If we play well in the first test and show we are there to fight, then we can expect good attendance in the 2nd test.

We had packed grounds when Pak played England earlier in the summer, just saying :yk2

Off course the pensioners are wise and knowledgeable, through whom everyone can learn a lot. I didn't mean it in a demeaning way but it's also a fact that the kids and teenagers in England today do not share the same appeal for Cricket . Look at the Cricket Crowd in Lords and most grounds in England during Test Matches, it's mainly Old guys in Suits and Tie attending the games hardly any kids.

The kids of today are going to be the fans of the future. Don't know how long are you Purists going to keep bragging about the Ashes being sold out, seems like conserving the Tradition in it's current form for as long as possible is important than spreading the game to future generations.

I think you are looking at the Pavillion only, not the stands. Plentry of people of all ages there.

May be because they feel India is a minnow team, and rightly so because we have historically struggled in England. If we play well in the first test and show we are there to fight, then we can expect good attendance in the 2nd test.

To be fair the big draws have been Australia, WI and SA. But the latter two not so much now.

We had packed grounds when Pak played England earlier in the summer, just saying :yk2

Because Pakistan played an outstanding 2-2 series in 2016. In 2011 India too drew big crowds because in 2007 under Dravid we won the series and people expected a good fight 4 years later.

This Indian team may be good but in 2011 and 2014 the record was 1-7, locals will wait and see whether the matches are worth attending. People here may may make 100 different excuses like hot summer, Wednesday start etc but the bottom line is we have poor reputation in England. Fans (including Indian ones) aren't stupid to splurge money on one sided beatdowns, they will wait and observe how the series unfolds.

Similarly Pakistan has a poorer record in Australia the last 20 years, so they may not draw great crowds down under. No mumbo jumbo.

You saying Cricket viewership is solely depending on Indians?

The match is between England and India and Indian expats fill the grounds whenever their team visits England or Australia. This seems to be not the case this time around. Stop being so defensive all the time.

Yes because ashes in an event with a history behind it and those matches have value for the fans of playing teams.

Test matches have been striving for purpose and value addition which ICC should have done atleast a decade ago had it would have been pro active.

It's because we heard Adil Rashid was going to be the lone spinner and decided we didn't want to watch 2nd XIs playing.

Brummies have impeccable taste :shh

Also I think ODIs and T20s are unpredictable which gives extra joy in form of suspense that who will win.

In tests sub continental team touring Aus, NZ, SA, Eng(except Pak as it usually does well in Eng) every body already knows the result and same is the case with above teams touring sub continent. Yes there have been outliers and there will be but 95% of the times that trend is followed.

So you guys tell me, what is the interest going to be without any uncertainty in the results?

I love test cricket but when eveybody was focusing on T20 leagues ICC should have focused upon tests.

And trust me without tests, there wont be 4 day first class cricket and without that talent is gonna go straight downhill. But, all is not lost and ICC can still take few initiatives.

The match is between England and India and Indian expats fill the grounds whenever their team visits England or Australia. This seems to be not the case this time around. Stop being so defensive all the time.

Dont write stuffs you have no clue about. Asians fill the stadium for LOI cricket...tests have always English majority supporters. I think wednesday start has something to do with it. Or maybe Eng fans sees the writing in the wall against no.1 team

What stops English from attending match? Based on your own theory its pretty clear grounds will fill only if Indians attend matches.

At a time when T20 Blast is being played in front of packed stands! Will not be the best advertisement for Test cricket. Only hope administrators, if at all they care, will have is to see some closely fought matches

I thought England treated the series against Pakistan as practice to prepare for the main event with India, no?

Non -Issue, empty seats will be for the first couple of days , people have work etc so can't expect a full house. will fill up over the weekend i am sure.

in relation to t20 blast crowds i would take this with a pinch of salt. Anyone who has ever been to a domestic game in the UK can see between 40%-60% of the crowd are corporate clients and members who are their just to get drunk and have a night out, majority of the crowd hardly follows the game

It just shows how important BCCI and Indian viewership is for cricket.
If the staiums in England are empty, it is India's fault. Astounding.
For the NZ tour , the game start times ( normal) have been changed couple of hours to accomodate Indian fans do not need get up very early in morning.
It is very cool to know that India plays such a massive role and generates massive finance for the game.

India are not that big a draw?

But English were supposed to love Test cricket more than any other country.Also you guys have pretty small stadiums so still they are not filling shows sad state of test cricket decline in Englnad.

Again you can't blame people though as England's priority pretty much changed towards limited over cricket so obviously people also tend to go to matches where their team is pretty strong.

That's still a huge number going by the current standards. In India, we will be lucky if we get 25% turnout. And also Indian team is losing it's touch because of the series of poor performances. So not many Indian fans are bothered about it.

Because Pakistan played an outstanding 2-2 series in 2016. In 2011 India too drew big crowds because in 2007 under Dravid we won the series and people expected a good fight 4 years later.

This Indian team may be good but in 2011 and 2014 the record was 1-7, locals will wait and see whether the matches are worth attending. People here may may make 100 different excuses like hot summer, Wednesday start etc but the bottom line is we have poor reputation in England. Fans (including Indian ones) aren't stupid to splurge money on one sided beatdowns, they will wait and observe how the series unfolds.

Similarly Pakistan has a poorer record in Australia the last 20 years, so they may not draw great crowds down under. No mumbo jumbo.

That's still a huge number going by the current standards. In India, we will be lucky if we get 25% turnout. And also Indian team is losing it's touch because of the series of poor performances. So not many Indian fans are bothered about it.

So this kinda shows that the UK based Indian fans are mostly glory hunters? They need to get behind the team especially in challenging conditions like this.

Thankfully the ECB have come up with a genius plan to save cricket AND keep their lucrative Sky deal which has destroyed the audience reach of the game.

The Hundred. Yes that thing, clearly invented by people who hate cricket, is far more confusing than regular cricket, treats the audience like morons, is not actually aimed AT fans of cricket and has rules that actually break the laws OF cricket. That thing, salvation is at hand.

The ECB are incompetent fools.

But English were supposed to love Test cricket more than any other country.Also you guys have pretty small stadiums so still they are not filling shows sad state of test cricket decline in Englnad.

There’s no decline. I went to see India at Lord’s in 1986. The place was a third full. Though it could have been because Botham was serving a ban.

Two years later against WI it was rammed. Next year against the Aussies it was rammed again.

So this kinda shows that the UK based Indian fans are mostly glory hunters? They need to get behind the team especially in challenging conditions like this.

I won't be that harsh on them, I also think this applies to the English fans. If tomorrow Afghanistan comes to play a test in my city I won't leave my work to attend but if Pakistan comes I will try to get a ticket. I know this is an extreme example but there may be a similar thought process. If India can stun them in the 1st test, there may be more interest among the fans from both countries.

Also we need to consider the inclination of Indian fans in UK, I feel they are more attracted to T20/ODI than test cricket, so the onus on filling seats may fall on English fans who love the format.

I won't be that harsh on them, I also think this applies to the English fans. If tomorrow Afghanistan comes to play a test in my city I won't leave my work to attend but if Pakistan comes I will try to get a ticket. I know this is an extreme example but there may be a similar thought process. If India can stun them in the 1st test, there may be more interest among the fans from both countries.

Also we need to consider the inclination of Indian fans in UK, I feel they are more attracted to T20/ODI than test cricket, so the onus on filling seats may fall on English fans who love the format.

So you are comparing India with Afg? :danish
Brother we are no.1 test side just so that you forgot. And the best part is we will remain no.1 even if we lose 5-0 :uakmal

There’s no decline. I went to see India at Lord’s in 1986. The place was a third full. Though it could have been because Botham was serving a ban.

Two years later against WI it was rammed. Next year against the Aussies it was rammed again.

Welcome to 2018

This England team has lost many test series in the last couple of years and this may have to do with why their fans are losing interest. It's not always about the quality of opposition. India is a #1 team at the moment and they are ranked 5th.

So is the ground that empty today?

So is the ground that empty today?

Found on match commentary

Anuj: "What about the crowd presence? I heard the ticket sales were mediocre. Congrats to England on 1000th test, and Nepal on ODI debut." Expecting around 18,000 today, so still plenty of seats available.

I am not seeing any vacant seats now in the stadium..may be at the start of the days play

Maybe we filled up the stadium after all.

English people love their Test cricket.

There were more people in the ground today than we ever see in India on a weekday. Respect to English crowd for coning out in full support for the real cricket at its finest.

Was a good day of cricket as well.

Whose gonna work if people are busy watching Cricket?? It's to be expected.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brilliant session of cricket this morning. Really does leave the test in the balance. Disappointing to see so many empty seats at a great venue.</p>— Eoin Morgan (@Eoin16) <a href="https://twitter.com/Eoin16/status/1024997512099389441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It’s simple really.

It’s basically white British people who attend Tests in England.

And they literally haven’t heard of any of these Indian players apart from Kohli, who has a terrible Test record in England.

The likes of Mohammad Amir and Younis Khan are known by all English Test fans, and Yasir Shah too.

But Dhawan and Rahul and Yadav - nobody has ever heard of them.

It’s hard to market a team of unknowns.

It’s simple really.

And they literally haven’t heard of any of these Indian players apart from Kohli, who has a terrible Test record in England.

The likes of Mohammad Amir and Younis Khan are known by all English Test fans, and Yasir Shah too.

But surely the white English fans have heard of their own players? They should come in and support their team or is it that they pick and chose when to support their team? Will hardly call them fans if that is the case.

Even if Liverpool or Manchester United is playing a small team the stadiums are still nearly full..

Seems like the English cricket fans are fake fans..

Having said the above India is rank 1 in tests so we are giving you guys a blessing to play against us.

Last edited:
But surely the white English fans have heard of their own players? They should come in and support their team or is it that they pick and chose when to support their team? Will hardly call them fans if that is the case.

Even if Liverpool or Manchester United is playing a small team the stadiums are still nearly full..

Seems like the English cricket fans are fake fans..

Brummies are real fans that prefer to stay at work than taking a day off to watch this minnow batting from India.

Wait till Adil Rashid comes on to provide some halwa bowling later on and there is a rush to evacuate the stadium.

Last edited:
I think one reason for the poor numbers is the hot weather. This season, many amateur teams have struggled across the country to get teams out, as in the hot weather, people don't really want to be playing cricket, would much rather make the most of the heat, so I think possibly the same logic applies to watching cricket. After all, we do know what the weather in England is normally like.

I think one reason for the poor numbers is the hot weather. This season, many amateur teams have struggled across the country to get teams out, as in the hot weather, people don't really want to be playing cricket, would much rather make the most of the heat, so I think possibly the same logic applies to watching cricket. After all, we do know what the weather in England is normally like.

Not just amateur teams, looks like the Indian batsmen don't want to be playing in this hot weather either.

So much for India being a massive draw. Ticket sales for a 5 test series only work if Australia is involved, if they aren't sales will suffer. The two tests Pakistan played had better sales than what is currently happening with regards to advance sales for India. Pakistan also did very good numbers in Australia a couple years ago.

They should have kept this to 3 tests AT MOST. It is going to be a costly mistake...not forgetting the thousands of tickets given out for free.

It’s simple really.

Thing is Kohli is a bigger draw then all those players you mentioned put together.

Should be a close game so it's those spectators who don't turn up loss.

Test cricket seems to be a dying brand in England. Certainly when this baby boomer and beatles generation dies off, we'll see more and more empty stadiums.

It’s simple really.

Virat Kohli is single handedly a bigger draw than entire current Pakistani test team put together.

Never knew the white British fans were so clueless about the game. But since you say so.

It’s simple really.

Whatever dude. Miss your input about Kohli in other threads.

I love how cleverly [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] riles up Indians :)))

I accept that Kohli is a big star and that he will do well on this tour because it is the end of a hot dry summer so the lateral movement Pakistan experienced in May is long gone.

These are perfect conditions for India in England.

But the basic point remains: as much as I like Rahane, the rest of this India team is basically a bunch of unknown nobodies in England.

They are actually a good team, almost identical in strength outside Asia to Pakistan or New Zealand.

But nobody in England knows who any of them are apart from Kohli. Hence the poor ticket sales.

Also, as I’ve written before, it’s never good to tour in a football World Cup year.

Literally nobody even noticed in 1986 when both NZ and India beat England. The talk was all of Lineker and Maradona.

Nobody noticed Kapil Dev and Tendulkar in 1990 - it was all Gazza and Maradona.

Nobody noticed South Africa in 1994, and I can’t even remember who toured in 98 or 02.

I remember the Pakistanis walking off at The Oval after the 2006 World Cup and them spot-fixing in 2010. But hardly anybody else was interested - it was Michael Owen’s injury and Wayne Rooney’s red card and Lampard’s disallowed goal v Germany which held all the attention.

World Cup years are a cricket graveyard in England. People care more about Gareth Southgate’s waistcoat than Virat Kohli playing a masterful knock that might win the Test.

Sad but true!

I accept that Kohli is a big star and that he will do well on this tour because it is the end of a hot dry summer so the lateral movement Pakistan experienced in May is long gone.

But the basic point remains: as much as I like Rahane, the rest of this India team is basically a bunch of unknown nobodies in England.

They are actually a good team, almost identical in strength outside Asia to Pakistan or New Zealand.

But nobody in England knows who any of them are apart from Kohli. Hence the poor ticket sales.

Everybody in England tells you who they know and who they dont. Right?Lol.

Your absurd remarks about Bcci Tendulkar and Indians in general takes your credibility to ZERO.

An absolutely enthralling day of test cricket, showing once again why it is chess to ODI’s ludo.

Everybody in England tells you who they know and who they dont. Right?Lol.

Your absurd remarks about Bcci Tendulkar and Indians in general takes your credibility to ZERO.
I may lack credibility - you’re entitled to your opinion - but I am pretty sure that I’m right about the disappointing ticket sales.

Let’s also wait and see with Adelaide in December.

The three Day/Night Tests there - I’ve been to all of them - sold:

120,000 tickets for 3 days v NZ
135,000 tickets for 4 days v SA
160,000 tickets for 5 days v England.

India has dictated that it be a Day Test. So let’s wait and see what the ticket sales look like. I understand it’s looking pretty poor so far.

Virat Kohli is single handedly a bigger draw than entire current Pakistani test team put together.

He isn’t. Not like Viv Richards or Imran Khan used to be. [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] is right - people don’t know who he is.

Maybe they are fed up with their own team. Well it doesn't matter as long as we Indians watch it.

He isn’t. Not like Viv Richards or Imran Khan used to be. [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] is right - people don’t know who he is.
It may partly be a consequence of 12 years without cricket on free-to-Air TV.

Even Virat Kohli could walk down any street in England without any non-Asian person knowing who he is. The rest of the team are even less well-known.

It’s a major worry.

Also, as I’ve written before, it’s never good to tour in a football World Cup year.

Literally nobody even noticed in 1986 when both NZ and India beat England. The talk was all of Lineker and Maradona.

Nobody noticed Kapil Dev and Tendulkar in 1990 - it was all Gazza and Maradona.

Nobody noticed South Africa in 1994, and I can’t even remember who toured in 98 or 02.

I remember the Pakistanis walking off at The Oval after the 2006 World Cup and them spot-fixing in 2010. But hardly anybody else was interested - it was Michael Owen’s injury and Wayne Rooney’s red card and Lampard’s disallowed goal v Germany which held all the attention.

World Cup years are a cricket graveyard in England. People care more about Gareth Southgate’s waistcoat than Virat Kohli playing a masterful knock that might win the Test.

Sad but true!

But do runs against England matter?

I guess I should explain this for Indian fans.

Until 1982 there were only three TV channels in the UK.

Every Test and ODI was shown live, but also so was the Sunday League on Sunday afternoon. And there were 3-5 overseas players per team.

So pretty much everyone in the country who liked sport knew Somerset’s overseas players (Richards and Garner) or Northants’ Bedi and Mushtaq and Sarfraz.

The limits on overseas players reduced awareness, and Margaret Thatcher’s government making schools sell off their cricket pitches did huge damage too.

Finally, in 2005, the ECB sold all live cricket TV coverage to Sky, and now nobody knows even who Alastair Cook and Joe Root are, let alone Virat Kohli.

The BCCI doesn’t let its players play overseas T20 competitions. Hence even in Australia, nobody knows who Ashwin or Dhawan or Pandya or Bumrah are.

When the West Indies and Pakistan and South Africa were dominant teams, their players were Box Office Gold everywhere they played.

Unfortunately, the Indian players are even less famous than the current leading Pakistanis or Kiwis.

People have seen the leading Pakistanis and Kiwis play high profile domestic T20 cricket overseas, so they have a certain profile. But the Indian players - some of whom may be better cricketers - are just completely unknown.

I may lack credibility - you’re entitled to your opinion - but I am pretty sure that I’m right about the disappointing ticket sales.

Let’s also wait and see with Adelaide in December.

The three Day/Night Tests there - I’ve been to all of them - sold:

120,000 tickets for 3 days v NZ
135,000 tickets for 4 days v SA
160,000 tickets for 5 days v England.

India has dictated that it be a Day Test. So let’s wait and see what the ticket sales look like. I understand it’s looking pretty poor so far.

Do i take your word on anything you say?No.

Back