Time to unveil the New Fab Four of World Cricket

Unbiased-Fan

Local Club Star
Runs
Original fab 4 are on the end of their respective careers.
All of four, Kohli, Williamson, Root and Smith have record breaking careers and are arguably the best batsmans produced by their countries. All four are outstanding all format players and captained their sides to new heights.

Now, talking about current set of players, some players have impressed me a lot and i can see some serious potential in them.

Who are they..?
Lets see

1. Shubman Gill
Already established as one of the best white ball players in world cricket. He will definitely improve his numbers in test cricket. His 4th innings gabba knock was probably better than most of double centuries. He is already seen as the successor of great Kohli.

2. Harry Brook
Already a star in test cricket. His attacking style is very much suitable for Bazzball. He has played some great knocks in t20is too. He underperformed in this world cup, but he has a lot of time to improve his ODI stats.

3. Rachin Ravindra
Rachin is definitely justifing his glorious name. This attacking left hander is treat to watch. He is find of 2023 world cup and his incredible performance in this world cup will boost his confidence in other formats as well.

4. Yashasvi Jaiswal
Jaiswal is an outstanding all format player. A high class century on test debut proves that he can play longer innings. He also has a t20i century on his name. Future is bright for india as him and Gill will serve as openers after retirements of Rohit and Rahul.

Other contender

*Abudallah Shafique
Another High class young player. His 4th innings knock in SriLanka and some great knocks in world cup 2023 proves his talent.

All these mentioned players are under 25 and have proved promise and brilliance in such little time period.

What are your views?

All of four, Kohli, Williamson, Root and Smith have record breaking careers and are arguably the best batsmans produced by their countries. All four are outstanding all format players and captained their sides to new heights.

Now, talking about current set of players, some players have impressed me a lot and i can see some serious potential in them.

Who are they..?
Lets see

1. Shubman Gill
Already established as one of the best white ball players in world cricket. He will definitely improve his numbers in test cricket. His 4th innings gabba knock was probably better than most of double centuries. He is already seen as the successor of great Kohli.

2. Harry Brook
Already a star in test cricket. His attacking style is very much suitable for Bazzball. He has played some great knocks in t20is too. He underperformed in this world cup, but he has a lot of time to improve his ODI stats.

3. Rachin Ravindra
Rachin is definitely justifing his glorious name. This attacking left hander is treat to watch. He is find of 2023 world cup and his incredible performance in this world cup will boost his confidence in other formats as well.

4. Yashasvi Jaiswal
Jaiswal is an outstanding all format player. A high class century on test debut proves that he can play longer innings. He also has a t20i century on his name. Future is bright for india as him and Gill will serve as openers after retirements of Rohit and Rahul.

Other contender

*Abudallah Shafique
Another High class young player. His 4th innings knock in SriLanka and some great knocks in world cup 2023 proves his talent.

All these mentioned players are under 25 and have proved promise and brilliance in such little time period.

What are your views?
The last fab 4 came from the 2015 cup, and in this cup, most of these players aren't even playing or aren't in form.

Gill so far hasn't done anything, also fab 4 is from a different team so why is jaiswal and Gill both in this position?

Rachin has been the find of the tournament , the rest we'll have to see

Nothing to do with Fab 4 but I am going to say Indian fans should keep an eye on Riyan Parag. He's very different from the usual top order Indian wunderkinds like Gill and Jaiswal.

He bats in the MO with a high SR and bowls more than handy spin. A tailored for LOI product although who says he won't have success in tests. He's only 21 and needs a productive IPL2024 to catapult him into national/international consciousness.

Harry brook??
I don't think so. He is nowhere near the likes of other 3 in the list. Abdullah should be there.

I want Gill to improve against swing and spin

I think brook is a flat track bully as he failed miserably in sub continent (in ipl and wc).Let's see in the tests in ind tour.

I will like to see Rachin in eng,aus ,sa etc especially in tests.

Jaiswal will be interesting .

I will look for Abdullah, Baby Ab as other options.

Not enough Sample yet. But all format player concept will dwindle due to heavy schedule.

Who are they..?
Lets see

1. Shubman Gill

2. Harry Brook

3. Rachin Ravindra

4. Yashasvi Jaiswal

Other contender

*Abudallah Shafique

What are your views?

Since the IPL started 15 years ago, India has not won a SINGLE t20 WC (in 7 attempts)

Just shows that IPL performance doesn't translate to international performance at all

What has Jaiswal done in international matches? This is why Indian cricket fans are the most dissillusional people on the planet

A month ago they were comparing Surya Kumar to ABD- the greatest of his generation. The sheer audacity

Last edited by a moderator:
Only Rachin belongs in that class. He has played like Sachin of 1996 WC, unreal talent the Kiwis have unearthed.

Shafique looks to be better than Gill, can't argue with results in front of our eyes.

Unbiased fan has picked Jaiswal
Very unbiased of you

Since the IPL started 15 years ago, India has not won a SINGLE t20 WC (in 7 attempts)

Just shows that IPL performance doesn't translate to international performance at all

What has Jaiswal done in international matches? This is why Indian cricket fans are the most dissillusional people on the planet

A month ago they were comparing Surya Kumar to ABD- the greatest of his generation. The sheer audacity

You have no clue about Jaiswal then. He was the top batsman in under-19 world cup , 2018 edition. Scored a 100 against your team. In every kind of cricket he played brilliantly. He averages 88 in Tests in 2 tests. Averages 81 in first class games. 53 in List A. He is not an IPl product

Did i mention IPL performances in my post?

Jaiswal scored magnificent 171 on his test debut in windies against Roach and Holder. He played close to 500 balls in just 3 innings in his 1st international tour.

If this is not enough for you to prove his temperament, note this, Jaiswal has 80+ average in first class cricket.

He has a century in t20s and strike rate of 161.

His list A stats are equally impressive.

So anyway, I am calling it. Riyan Parag is basically India's Steve Smith in the works.

All we need to find is where he falls on the autism spectrum.

No need to quote or @ me.

So anyway, I am calling it. Riyan Parag is basically India's Steve Smith in the works.

He is definitely making waves. Future LOI all rounder for India. Already becoming a serial six hitter.

You have no clue about Jaiswal then. He was the top batsman in under-19 world cup , 2018 edition. Scored a 100 against your team. In every kind of cricket he played brilliantly. He averages 88 in Tests in 2 tests. Averages 81 in first class games. 53 in List A. He is not an IPl product
Did i mention IPL performances in my post?

Jaiswal scored magnificent 171 on his test debut in windies against Roach and Holder. He played close to 500 balls in just 3 innings in his 1st international tour.

If this is not enough for you to prove his temperament, note this, Jaiswal has 80+ average in first class cricket.

He has a century in t20s and strike rate of 161.

His list A stats are equally impressive.

Does all of this warrant a place in upcoming FAB 4?
when the other 3 and many you have left out have performed in international matches as well

Scoring in 2 test matches against the West Indies lol
I remember Pritvi Shaw also slaughtering them on debut, where is he now?
Weren't people like you comparing him to Ponting after his outstanding knocks against the MIGHTY West Indies?

And the standard of Indian domestic circuit is very low. Many examples like Ajay Sharma who averaged 70 in First Class cricket- got to play 30 ODIs with a pathetic average of 20

The most unfit cricketer going around Sarfraz Khan has numbers comparable to Bradman In Indian First Class cricket.
Just shows you need ZERO fitness to score heavily in Indian First Class cricket- a solid indicator of it being third class

when the other 3 and many you have left out have performed in international matches as well

Weren't people like you comparing him to Ponting after his outstanding knocks against the MIGHTY West Indies?

And the standard of Indian domestic circuit is very low. Many examples like Ajay Sharma who averaged 70 in First Class cricket- got to play 30 ODIs with a pathetic average of 20

The most unfit cricketer going around Sarfraz Khan has numbers comparable to Bradman In Indian First Class cricket.
Just shows you need ZERO fitness to score heavily in Indian First Class cricket- a solid indicator of it being third class

I don't say about Fab 4. I say it is too early. But post about jaiswal without knowing his potential needed some enlightening.

Would Markram count or is he too old compared to the likes of Gill, Brook, Ravindra? Becuase Markram is world class in LOI.

Anyways, I think its too early to name these players fab 4, maybe future 4 is better suited, since most of the contenders just started a few years ago

Would Markram count or is he too old compared to the likes of Gill, Brook, Ravindra? Becuase Markram is world class in LOI.

Anyways, I think its too early to name these players fab 4, maybe future 4 is better suited, since most of the contenders just started a few years ago

Just like how ABDV was not part of Fab 4 despite being a fabulous player Markram won't belong. Those 4 more or less from the same batch. I don't think we may ever see such a Fab 4 ever again. All 4 played a reasonable number of matches in all 3 formats. Fab 4 automatically formed. I don't think we have anything remotely close to such representation. Gill only now has started playing all 3 formats. Rachin has so far done well in only one format. Jaiswal is so far picked to represent only 2 formats. T20 back up and Main Test team.

Please don’t try to force a Fab 4.

These things come naturally. You’ll know when they’re a Fab 4, Pig 3 etc

The fab four existed because they performed exceptionally well for a longer period of time. The fab 4, 5 or 6 of world cricket will reveal itself in future with consistent and match winning performances.

Not sure Gill has the mental game to be so good.

Harry Brook for sure, he's young and fearless. A little more technique and he could be an ODI great.

Not sure Gill has the mental game to be so good.

Harry Brook for sure, he's young and fearless. A little more technique and he could be an ODI great.
Brook has hardly performed over these years; he is yet to prove his worth as a great in ODIs.

Batters with the highest Test averages in the last 5 years. (Minimum 1500* runs)

Kane Williamson
Marnus Labuschagne
Babar Azam
Steve Smith

Most ODI centuries since the start of 2020

Babar Azam 8
Shai Hope 8
Fakhar Zaman 7
Quinton De Kock 7
Virat Kohli 7

I think we should form a new Fab 4 in which Shai Hope can be a part.

my nominations are

rachin ravendra
virat kohli
rohit sharma
glenn maxwell
quinton de kock
travis head

Season's first FC match and Riyan has unleashed a knock of 155 in 87 balls. His team lost though.

Frankly, I am surprised he's not featuring in the A squad to take on the Lions starting this Friday.

Nothing to do with Fab 4 but I am going to say Indian fans should keep an eye on Riyan Parag. He's very different from the usual top order Indian wunderkinds like Gill and Jaiswal.

He bats in the MO with a high SR and bowls more than handy spin. A tailored for LOI product although who says he won't have success in tests. He's only 21 and needs a productive IPL2024 to catapult him into national/international consciousness.

This is what I'm waiting for too. Lad is gifted as hell . Only someone utterly brain-dead would not back him.

Sad to see that ICT has ignored him despite some really good performances in domestic LOIs

This is what I'm waiting for too. Lad is gifted as hell . Only someone utterly brain-dead would not back him.

Sad to see that ICT has ignored him despite some really good performances in domestic LOIs

Yes, it's hard for me to keep track these days but I checked his numbers in SMAT and he killed it. Key for him is to keep churning out the numbers.

We cannot have artificial fab 4. It was unusual in the same era. 4 players played all 3 formats and have varying degree of success. Almost one to each other. ABDV was not part of any FAB group. He still is a SA legend. I very much doubt we will see another FAB group as some of these guys are not good in atleast one format

Riyan Parag dominating another cricketing news cycle.

Back to back back-to-the-wall century for Riyan in Ranji. This time against Kerala scoring 116 of 125 balls. Can he keep the consistency up the whole season and follow it up with an eye catching IPL?

If he does then expect to see him put on India cap in ALL formats.

if we take a look on current players so i will pick

Rachin Ravindra
Virat Kohli
Kane Williamson
Daryl Mitchel

No Fab is ready yet. I don't think we will ever see 4 good players delivering across all 3 formats briefly before settling down in one or two formats. There is no Fab 4 in the vicinity. You have to play in different conditions, deliver consistently. Gill had a fabulous 2023. Look at him now.

A pakistani shouldn't be talking about fitness and standards of domestic class cricket.
Our ranji trophy batters would be playing for your national team.
Sarfaraz would be Pakistan's best batter, but then Indian standards are just too high.
Babar, rizwan and shafique would have never made into the Indian team

New potential Fab 4:

1) Jaiswal
2) Rachin
3) Brevis
4) Brook
Brevis and Brook don't fit for me. I will put daryl Mitchell in the mix here. He is much better based of current form and if he continues it as well.

There will not/should not be another fab four.

Fab four is not a name that gets given to the four best batsmen, or the best up and coming batsmen. It is an honorific title that was bestowed by a man of very high standing on a group of 4 players who arrived within a short time and were clearly going to be ATG. It is not something to be copied or handed down. It is tied intrinsically to these 4 batsmen.

It is like how the West Indies had the four horsemen (Roberts, Holding, Croft and Garner), and even though Marshall came hot on their heels and even ended up the best of them, he was not one of the four horsemen.

If an honorific title is to be given to any players of the next generation, it will be done so naturally. Not trying to put a square peg in to a round hole.

Who knows, maybe it is 2 batsmen in the next generation who are by far better than their peers. Then having a fab four would seem very dumb.

There will not/should not be another fab four.

Fab four is not a name that gets given to the four best batsmen, or the best up and coming batsmen. It is an honorific title that was bestowed by a man of very high standing on a group of 4 players who arrived within a short time and were clearly going to be ATG. It is not something to be copied or handed down. It is tied intrinsically to these 4 batsmen.

It is like how the West Indies had the four horsemen (Roberts, Holding, Croft and Garner), and even though Marshall came hot on their heels and even ended up the best of them, he was not one of the four horsemen.

If an honorific title is to be given to any players of the next generation, it will be done so naturally. Not trying to put a square peg in to a round hole.

Who knows, maybe it is 2 batsmen in the next generation who are by far better than their peers. Then having a fab four would seem very dumb.
Exactly. It is not like they wanted to come up with this. Previous Fab 4 was used within Indian side. Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly. We cannot randomly come up with Fab 4. It could just be Fab 2 or Fab 3. Outside of Fab4 we did have guys like ABDV who was purposely not included.

Coming up with random Fab 4 is pointless. Fab 4 have been players who have proven themselves for a very long time. 1 year of good performance doesn’t entitle anyone to be a “Fab”. This term should be totally shelved until the new players have had at least 7-8 years of playing international cricket around the world.

As I noted above, Riyan Parag is one to watch out for.

A middle order batsman who can bowl competently. Only 22.

He was unfortunate to get injured during Ranji this season or he'd be in contention for tests as well.

As I noted above, Riyan Parag is one to watch out for.

A middle order batsman who can bowl competently. Only 22.

He was unfortunate to get injured during Ranji this season or he'd be in contention for tests as well.
Ryan Parag has not yet reached the standards where he can be added to the Fab 4.

He is a good prospect but to be the best he needs international exposure.

My fab 4

New fab 4

1) Rachin Ravindra (New star and talent)
2) Shubman Gill (He's lost form, but he'll be the future superstar)
3) Aiden Makram
4) Harry Brooks (Hell come good soon enough)

Old Fab 4

1) Kohli (Didnt include him in new, cause hes 35 and retiring in a few years, new era needs to be sonething else)
2) Warner/ Maxwell (Both are Goats)
3) Ab De Villiers
4) Jos Butler

Real Fab 4

1) Kohli
2) Williamson
3) Smith
4) Root

^^ Disagree but eh, that's what cricket refers to as fab 4

Parag has immense potential.
My fab 4

New fab 4

1) Rachin Ravindra (New star and talent)
2) Shubman Gill (He's lost form, but he'll be the future superstar)
3) Aiden Makram
4) Harry Brooks (Hell come good soon enough)

Old Fab 4

1) Kohli (Didnt include him in new, cause hes 35 and retiring in a few years, new era needs to be sonething else)
2) Warner/ Maxwell (Both are Goats)
3) Ab De Villiers
4) Jos Butler

Real Fab 4

1) Kohli
2) Williamson
3) Smith
4) Root

^^ Disagree but eh, that's what cricket refers to as fab 4
There was striking similarity between real Fab 4. I don't think we will ever see such a bunch. Insane hunger for runs from these people at various stages. ABDV was not part of any club. But he had respect. Tendulkar/Lara there is nothing such as Fab 2.Just Tendulkar vs Lara. Later Punter joined them in the race. But otherwise only Fab 4 that i knew before was Tendulkar/Ganguly/Laxman/Dravid. They were called Fab 4.

Parag has immense potential.

There was striking similarity between real Fab 4. I don't think we will ever see such a bunch. Insane hunger for runs from these people at various stages. ABDV was not part of any club. But he had respect. Tendulkar/Lara there is nothing such as Fab 2.Just Tendulkar vs Lara. Later Punter joined them in the race. But otherwise only Fab 4 that i knew before was Tendulkar/Ganguly/Laxman/Dravid. They were called Fab 4.
The reason the fab 4 were dubbed as Williamson, Kohli, Smith and root was

Because

A) They were the main superstars from 2014-2019

B) they all batted at no 3 for their teams.

C) They were of a similar mould, aka they were all accumulators for their team but they also had the striking potential to finish games.

However Flash forward years later, Williamson is no longer the best bat in his team with Conway, rachin and Mitchell around.

Root is hilariously out of place with the whole bazzball culture and England just falling off now

Smith is a dome deal in odi and kohli is close to retiring, 2027 is probs the end of kohli era.

I feel, he is more talented than him. Unfortunately, he couldn't perform at international level but I believe he will make a strong comeback in his international career.
Imo, neither have impressed me, but Brook has first class stats to back him.

But fair point still.

During a program on an Indian local sports channel, Steve Smith recently chose the best batsman among the 'Fab Four,' which includes Virat Kohli, Joe Root, Kane Williamson, and himself. Steve Smith excluded Joe Root and himself while singling out one player as superior among the four.

Meet the Fab 5: Kamindu Mendis, Harry Brook, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Cameron Green and Rachin Ravindra the most promising young cricketers in the world.

Not sure about fab 4, but Rana has a fab 3 in Asif Ali, Azam Khan & Sharjeel Khan.

Back