Top 100 universities in the world (2024 List)

rickroll

Tape Ball Star
Runs
I came across this infographic and it got me curious. While I'm (grudgingly) appreciative of what India has achieved in it's education system, I cannot help but wonder how come India does not have a single university in the world top 100 in spite of all of their much touted IITs (yes I realize IITs are not universities).

Why is this the case? Is the Indian education only good relative to poor South Asian standards but lack when it comes to global metrics?

1721241469178.png

I came across this infographic and it got me curious. While I'm (grudgingly) appreciative of what India has achieved in it's education system, I cannot help but wonder how come India does not have a single university in the world top 100 in spite of all of their much touted IITs (yes I realize IITs are not universities).

Why is this the case? Is the Indian education only good relative to poor South Asian standards but lack when it comes to global metrics?

View attachment 145306
You may have to look at the ranking criteria in order to answer this question.

I suspect one of the factors is the annual research endowment US schools get and their vital contributions to cutting edge stuff resulting from their hefty research programs.

View attachment 145306
Where does the University of Pennsylvania rank?

View attachment 145306
IITs are purely Engineering Institutes. You dont have well established arts, economics, law, Management and Medical schools in them. (MBA has been started recently though in some IITs)
That automatically removes any chance of getting placed in higher rankings for universities. These rankings assign score to all fields, If an institute is absent in a field it gets zero and automatically lower ranking.
IIT ranking would be higher if you check purely engineering schools, again not very high.

View attachment 145306

The classic 5 IITs (Delhi, Bombay, Madras, Kanpur and Kharagpur) all are in top 100.
45, 45, 77, 85, 93 ranks followed by IISc Bangalore at 119

The classic 5 IITs (Delhi, Bombay, Madras, Kanpur and Kharagpur) all are in top 100.
Adding, Since IITs lack a proper mechanism for intake of foreign students, the rankings fall considerably.
In Academics and employer Reputation, these Institutes will jump to top 25 rankings.

Well ok, besides the one niche of Engineering/Technology how come none of the Indian universities are in the top 100?

Despite all the focus on IIT, how come the highest ranking by an Indian IIT is only #45 at a global scale?

Well ok, besides the one niche of Engineering/Technology how come none of the Indian universities are in the top 100?

Despite all the focus on IIT, how come the highest ranking by an Indian IIT is only #45 at a global scale?
About IITs,
1. Already covered the point about foreign intake which is a major component in these rankings. IITs dont have formal intake structure for foreign students. Hence low points in that parameter.
2. IITs are relatively new and underfunded compared to Europe, US, Singapore or even China for that matter. The PhD and research output hence is relatively small. Pound4pound IITs really punch above their weight class.
3. Most of IIT reputation comes from its undergrad programs and that's where they shine outright.

Rest of the Unis:
1. Well, we are still a third world country isn't it? Most standard universities are under the aegis of UGC which is a highly lethargic body. There is no competitive spirit or quality control good enough for global standard. These unis are designed for masses not quality.
2. For quality we have specialized schools like IITs, or some medical schools (AIIMS) and IIMs (for management) they can compete with the best of the world because these institute are autonomous and beyond UGC control.

If you look in MBA rankings there are 3 IIMs (A, B, C) and ISB in top 100 just like IITs.
again the rankings suffers on the foreign intake and diversity parameter.

Back