Trial by Spin/Turn v Pace/Bounce v Swing/Seam

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Around the world am seeing so many young batsmen (even at times established batsmen) looking like a million dollars with the bat when playing in their home conditions. Also we see so many Young aspiring batting stars looking really good domestically and at "A" team level and then as soon as they come up against slightly foreign conditions to what they are use to they are found to be falling apart mentally and technically. The worrying trend seems to be more apparent now then it did 10 or 20 years ago.

I have seen Young Aussie/South African/Kiwi/England batsmen look clueless when balls is turning square.

I see Asian batsmen hoping around and looking technically inept where there is pace and bounce. I have seen some England batsmen when they have played on really pacey wickets look bad as well.

Asian/Australian batsmen looking leaden footed and undone when ball is swinging and seaming around.

These are just a handful of examples of young batsmen from different countries finding batting hard when conditions change from what they are use to.

So what is everyone's opinion on what the hardest conditions are for a young batsmen to adjust to? and why?

My ranking is:

1. Swing/Seam | When someone like Anderson is on, who can move it both way at 80mph, it is the nightmare for a batsman :akram
2. Spin/Turn | Only the most accomplished can survive on a turner. On 4th/5th day track things get nasty :yk
3. Pace/Bounce | There are only a few accurate 90mph+ bowlers around but when they hit it on the spot all hell breaks lose :wahab

Same goes for bowlers , most bowlers struggles in alien conditions too.

Personally think spin is the hardest to adjust to. Even the batsmen from Asia are not as adapt at it vs past greats.

Bishoo, Rashid brought us to our knees. Rashid did well vs India in India as well.

Think its because the ball deviates the most as well as there being different classes of spinners with each relying more on certain aspects like drift or more variations.

With seam/swing it lasts for a certain amount of overs and in your mind you know what you're up against, as the deviation isn't that great. Unless you have someone bowling at pace which other than Starc or Steyn no one is doing.

Back