Trigger movement in batting

aamr85

Debutant
Runs
Hi guys, please share your trigger movement and how it helps you in batting. Thanks

I do forward press, it’s really helpful when playing fuller deliveries. And I have heard someone say it’s better to be on the front foot then back foot 😀

[MENTION=143190]aamr85[/MENTION]
Horizontal movement is ok but vertical movement isn’t. Try to be as neutral as possible. There are some potential issues with committing to the front foot.

1)A clever bowler will be able to catch you completely off guard. A few full deliveries followed by a ‘short of a good length’ delivery at the 4th/5th stump line can be very difficult to handle. Especially if he bowls at good pace.

2)There’s good chance you’ll be through the shot early if the bowler suddenly bowls a slower one. It’s hard to adjust to pace variations when you’re on the front foot. And when you can’t adjust, you’ll be giving catching practice to the man at short cover.

3)You’ll be tempted to play shots very often. It’s not a bad thing in limited overs cricket but can be a problem in the longer format.

To answer your question, I have no trigger movement when I bat.

No trigger movement, bat on the ground for me.

I'm a former #11 slowly retraining myself into a batsman (Got my maiden fifty this weekend, hoping to get at least one more this season) and the idea is to keep it as simple as possible so that if any technical mistakes creep into my batting they are easier to fix.

Last week I was trapped LBW when I was batting pretty well, and I realised it was because I was falling over a little bit too much and planting my front foot in front of the stumps. Because my technique is so simple I didn't have to worry about whether I was triggering too much or not enough, too early or too late. All I did was move my front foot six inches to the left and that meant my head and front foot came straighter down the pitch and reduced my chances of being trapped LBW.

I don't use one. You don't have to use one.

I try to be as still as possible before the ball is delivered.

I don't use one. You don't have to use one.

I try to be as still as possible before the ball is delivered.

This is the crucial point, and why trigger movements are dumb. If you watch players with trigger movements when they're in form, you will mostly find the movement has stopped and their head is still at the point of the bowler's release. If the end goal is to have your head still when the ball is delivered, then why move just before delivery?

You don't need a trigger movement to "get your feet moving", you just need to be more balanced in your stance with your weight on the balls of your feet so you are able to quickly move forward or backward.

Back