[VIDEO] The Shoaib Akhtar vs Harbhajan Singh confrontation (2010)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Harbhajan Singh roared, both arms in the air, he screamed some more followed by a tight hug to non-striker Praveen Kumar. The reason for the jubilation was his monstrous six off Mohammad Amir when India needed 3 runs to win off 2 balls. But the roars were directed towards Shoaib Akhtar, with whom he had an altercation in the previous over, which continued even till the middle of the last over.

Reacting to the incident that took place 10 years ago in an India vs Pakistan Asia Cup match in March 2010 at Dambulla, Sri Lanka, former Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar said he was furious with Harbhajan and had gone to the hotel to pick up a fight with the India off-spinner after the match.

“I went looking for Harbhajan Singh in the hotel room to fight with him. He eats with us, roams around with us in Lahore, culture is similar to us, he is a Punjabi brother and yet he will misbehave with us? I thought I will go and fight with him in the hotel room. He knew that Shoaib was coming. But I couldn’t find him. I calmed down the next day and he had also apologised,” said Shoaib Akhtar in a video interview on Helo app.

It had all started when Harbhajan had deposited an Akhtar delivery over long-on for a huge six in the 47th over. Upset by the six, the Rawalpindi Express dished out a couple of bouncers directed towards Harbhajan’s rib-cage and also exchanged a few words. The India off-spinner was not the one back away and the verbal altercation continued between the two till the last over of the game.

Harbhajan, however, had the last laugh as he guided India to a 3-wicket win with a crucial 11-ball 15-run inning.

Harbhajan, in the past, had revealed that Akhtar indeed threatened to come to his hotel room for a fight.

“Shoaib once threatened me he would come to my room and beat me. I told him ‘come, let’s see who beats whom.’ I was really scared. He is a great hulk. He once bashed me and Yuvi (Yuvraj Singh) inside a room. Since he was heavy, it was difficult to catch him,” Harbhajan said.

Recently, Suresh Raina, who was Harbhajan’s batting partner when the altercation took place, recalled the incident in an Instagram live session with former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan. “Bhajju paa was a fighter. I remember he had some argument with Shoaib Akhtar but then hit a six to win the match for us,” Raina had said.

That incident has had no effect on the bond between the two great cricketers. Harbhajan and Shoaib have remained one of the best of friends off the field. The duo has made many TV appearances after that and Harbhajan was also invited to Shoaib Akhtar’s Youtube channel last year.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ia-cup-2010/story-radDlHg5XZbYJAPwQnfMEM.html

<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x4k7d2z" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Last edited:
Respect the fact that although Bhajji admitted that Shabby would and did bash him off the field physically but he kept his cool on the field and won the game under pressure for India.

That's what fighting ability is all about.

It's not wrestling.

All these provocations are mind games at the end of the day to entice the opponent to do something silly

Mature players are those who hold their nerves and come out completing the task at hand.

Harbhajan was a fighter and ironically some of his best fighting moments came with the bat and field rather than ball lol which only goes to show what a valuable asset he was to Indian cricket in the 2000s, his worth cannot simply be determined by his bowling stars. He was a player beyond his bowling numbers alone

But my advise to Bhajji is if he is reading this, brother you need to tome down with your comments and be more professional if you want to have a long and successful stint as a commentator/analyst.

Shoaib Akhtar is very intelligent and strategic actually if you analyse him.

He bashes you verbally when he absolutely has to but other times he will always praise and do brotherly talk. That's the off field genius of Shoaib Akhtar a lot of the young players need to emulate.

This is why despite bashing Younis Khan to no end, when they meet Shoaib calls him a legend and they hug it out. Shoaib Akhtar can do that but Bhajju you can't you need to be careful.amd strategic with your talk

Can we say this six from Bhajji was an Indian response to Miandad's sixer?

Can we say this six from Bhajji was an Indian response to Miandad's sixer?
Tbh you are kinda right it's not that off but was this in a final or semi final if not than you are kinda off cause they are not the same caliber of matches

Akhtar deserved to be shown his place. Well done Harbhajan. Love watching the highlights of this and Ross Taylor smashing Akhtar all over the ground.

Akhtar deserved to be shown his place. Well done Harbhajan. Love watching the highlights of this and Ross Taylor smashing Akhtar all over the ground.

All said and done, the six was hit off Mohammad Amir.

Tbh you are kinda right it's not that off but was this in a final or semi final if not than you are kinda off cause they are not the same caliber of matches

I think after losing the opening game against SL, it was a must win game for Pak in order to reach finals. So in that sense you can say it was a virtual semi final.

Shoaib was way past his prime at this stage and lacked the fitness, strength to bowl at the death effectively. He got hit for 15 sixes in his final year in the game in comparison to any other time in his career.

Shoaib was way past his prime at this stage and lacked the fitness, strength to bowl at the death effectively. He got hit for 15 sixes in his final year in the game in comparison to any other time in his career.

You are right bro.

Actually there was a time that you could count on your fingers how many sixes ever got hit on Shoaib's bowling which is why it was a big news always.

First time I think anyone stood up to him was Hayden, was it Morocco or some other place maybe UAE where he hit him some sixes in 2000-2003 era I think. It ellevated stature of Haydos as a dominant force.

Then in 2003 Tendulkar took him apart

And in 2004, Balaji had some fun moments

In 2006 Dhoni took him apart.

Apart from that I cannot recall Shoaib being taken apart. But in 2010-11 it had started to become a routine that's when we knee the legend had to retire

Colour's coming off. :))

What happened? Why so serious and hurt bro? I just shared a video of Afridi hitting a six. I am sure if some desperate soul can compare it with Miandad's six then Bhajji's six can also be compared with Afridi's six. :inti

What happened? Why so serious and hurt bro? I just shared a video of Afridi hitting a six. I am sure if some desperate soul can compare it with Miandad's six then Bhajji's six can also be compared with Afridi's six. :inti

Not quite. India was playing without its main players at that time. Both Dhoni and Raina who were pillars of team India back then were rested keeping upcoming t20 world cup in mind. Remember, Suresh Raina was vice captain and was suppose to replace MS as next skipper.

Make shift captain Kohli did many tactical blunders including allowing Junaid Khan to pick easy single in the penultimate over which allowed Lala to be on strike in final over. Then allowing a spinner to bowl against Afridi in final over etc.

As soon as Dhoni got back in the helm in T20 WC game 3 weeks later, Lala couldnt do much.

It was a good win for memorabilia if you are a Pak fan because that was the last time Pak has beaten India in any Asia cup game. But it can no way be compared with Miandad's and Bhajji's six.

Last edited:
I think after losing the opening game against SL, it was a must win game for Pak in order to reach finals. So in that sense you can say it was a virtual semi final.
Nah not the same thing it wasn't a final it was a good match but not the same thing

A tale of two chuckers.

One took 175 Test wickets and the other took 417!

Sreesanth says hi

Harbhaijan was quite a choozah, but he definitely had the heart of a lion

should have done a mma match. bhajii vs shoaib. I expect bhaji to smash shoaib after he gasses or shoaib dispatches him quickly in under a minute before he starts to get tired after throwing some haymakers.

Bhaji could do his bhangra dance moves and get away.

Back