[VIDEOS] Abdul Samad: The answer to Pakistan's quest for a middle-order powerhouse

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
nevW465.png

OQH6Meb.png

Abdul Samad is a Pakistani cricketer. He made his List A debut for Pakistan International Airlines in the 2016–17 Departmental One Day Cup on 17 December 2016. He made his first-class debut for Faisalabad in the 2017–18 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy on 26 September 2017. In April 2018, he was named in Punjab's squad for the 2018 Pakistan Cup.

He representing Markhors in Champions One-Day Cup 2024

Abdul Samad stole the show at Faisalabad, scoring an explosive 62 off 25 for Markhors against Panthers at a strike rate of 248.00

Last edited:
Is the guy an all rounder? Batting at 7? Or is this one of Misbah’s lucky throw of the dice kind of things playing batters out of their position and then saying “I knew this guy who is built to bat in a top order position is a great finisher”

💯

Enough of these skinny guys, who can barely clear the inner circle.

More of these big units please.
Did you see the Australian side yesterday?

Darcy Short
Mitchell Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Cameron Green
Tim David

That’s 5 night club bouncers in their top 7

Dude got a 40 avg, he isn't bad, I was wrong in my early assessment about him, This guy is the no 6 you're looking for

For someone to have been around that long, surprised to see such few list A and FC matches. A FC average of 12 is telling.
I hope they don’t get carried away by this fluke innings. Find reliable FC batters.

Because he doesn't have any links.

Welcome to Pakistan cricket.
He has a FC average of 12 because he doesn’t have any links? And how did he suddenly developed new links this past few weeks to feature in champions cup.

The reason why Pakistan is in this position is because the people get excited by one or two televised innings.

The need of the hour is to prioritize genuine talent that have delivered in FC season after season like Kamran Ghulam.

These flukey players will not amount to anything. Write it down.

If he can become even 3/4th of the player his namesake is in India, he'll be a good player by Pakistani standards. As of now, can't pass judgment based on 1 knock. Could be a fluke innings. With majority of Pakistani players, it generally is.

If he can become even 3/4th of the player his namesake is in India, he'll be a good player by Pakistani standards. As of now, can't pass judgment based on 1 knock. Could be a fluke innings. With majority of Pakistani players, it generally is.
Yes too early to pass a judgment .wait for entire tournament to finish at least .but man has some serious power and can't do worse then current Lower order batters of Pakistan .

He has a FC average of 12 because he doesn’t have any links? And how did he suddenly developed new links this past few weeks to feature in champions cup.

The reason why Pakistan is in this position is because the people get excited by one or two televised innings.

The need of the hour is to prioritize genuine talent that have delivered in FC season after season like Kamran Ghulam.

You conviniently left out that he has a one day average of 40!!

Where has he been all this time then, despite having such healthy one day average?

Many players are in his position and have left cricket because they don't get an opportunity.

He is a hitter, not a Test player.

Who are the other great finds by Misbah? Apart from Iftikhar
I now view Misbah in a different light then I once did.

Misbah has found the most people over the last decade then anyone.

He gets hate mainly cause many of the people who found were crap or only one format ponies however he has found good gems that people don't acknowledge.

1) Abrar so far is okay, but he's 100% >nawaz, Shadab and these fake lulla's.

2) Azhar was a terrific find at 3 and while a crap captain, theirs no denying putting him to open post wc 2015 was a good decispn however axhar should have been mainstay opener.

3) Shehzad was a one trick pony, but in test he was alot better them the likes of Abdullah, Imam etc.

4) Irfan Khan Niazi, Idk we'll see haven't seen much of him, So far he looks ordinary

5) Samad looks like a solid Tim David esc finisher and should be backed, especially considering the muscle he has.

Misbah's worst find for me is Chacha and then some of his questionable finds during his captaincy stint but I'm fine with it

Thing is as time went on, I've matured a bit on Misbah, probably because the test circuit is so bad.

The thing is, when situations deteriorate so badly I start missing the services of others. Sarfi is missed for me in whiteball due to his services and ik for a fact that those who use to hate him in 2018-2019 didn't appreciate some wins like England home den in a cup.

Misbah gas grown on me in that I still despise him as a batsmen but as a captain the current test situation is so freaking bad and so godamn terrible, that I've started to miss his era in UAE atleast.

Sarfi for odi and Misbah for test are underrated gems tbf, but satfi hatred towards red ball and misbah's hatred towards whiteball is still valid imo.

Again it's just me. Maturity is hitting me 🫠🫠

I now view Misbah in a different light then I once did.

Misbah has found the most people over the last decade then anyone.

He gets hate mainly cause many of the people who found were crap or only one format ponies however he has found good gems that people don't acknowledge.

1) Abrar so far is okay, but he's 100% >nawaz, Shadab and these fake lulla's.

2) Azhar was a terrific find at 3 and while a crap captain, theirs no denying putting him to open post wc 2015 was a good decispn however axhar should have been mainstay opener.

3) Shehzad was a one trick pony, but in test he was alot better them the likes of Abdullah, Imam etc.

4) Irfan Khan Niazi, Idk we'll see haven't seen much of him, So far he looks ordinary

5) Samad looks like a solid Tim David esc finisher and should be backed, especially considering the muscle he has.

Misbah's worst find for me is Chacha and then some of his questionable finds during his captaincy stint but I'm fine with it

Thing is as time went on, I've matured a bit on Misbah, probably because the test circuit is so bad.

The thing is, when situations deteriorate so badly I start missing the services of others. Sarfi is missed for me in whiteball due to his services and ik for a fact that those who use to hate him in 2018-2019 didn't appreciate some wins like England home den in a cup.

Misbah gas grown on me in that I still despise him as a batsmen but as a captain the current test situation is so freaking bad and so godamn terrible, that I've started to miss his era in UAE atleast.

Sarfi for odi and Misbah for test are underrated gems tbf, but satfi hatred towards red ball and misbah's hatred towards whiteball is still valid imo.

Again it's just me. Maturity is hitting me 🫠🫠
Azhar Ali started playing before Misbah became captain. The other names you mentioned are nobodies

Well his List A strike rate is not that impressive but after watching his knock today this guy should be watched very carefully in the next few games.

Azhar Ali started playing before Misbah became captain. The other names you mentioned are nobodies
Azhar Ali was not a feature during the 2010 test spot fixing scandal, he wasnt in the squad, Misbah was made captain in 2011 straight after this in the wi series.

We played WI test after aussie spit fixing and it's here Azhar played at 3 with Misbah as captain. I'm not aware of azhar ever featuring In international test prior to this.

As for the other names, Shehzad isn't a nobody in test, In terms of fame 100%, he's a nobody and had no lasting impact, He was also an attitude head, however he was a good test player, the problem however is that pcb removed him from all formats for odi failure and t20 failures, Even for the Bangladesh series after wc they removed him from test and odi but kept him for t20 which made no sense, since logic dictates he should have been dropped from odi and t20 and kept in test.

Yasir Shah was also Misbah's find in test, And haris sohail was also Misbah's find but haris flourished and became a better batter post misbah era, However the utilisation of spin from haris was misbah's call.

I don't like Misbah one bit, He is a bottler and very selfish batter, I was watching his 20q3 sa game where he made his useless 50 and still lost pakistan the game by 28 runs, Dude bottled it badly even in a bilateral.

However in test he was a different beast in UAE and not everything he touched turned to crap.

He's hated for his t20 nonsense as coach and selector and for his questionable takes in odi like stubbornly insisting that jamshed should play > Sarfi for 6 games and dropping fawad.

But I don't fault him for test and some of his finds. Haris sohaol and azhar were his biggest finds.

Azhar Ali was not a feature during the 2010 test spot fixing scandal, he wasnt in the squad, Misbah was made captain in 2011 straight after this in the wi series.

We played WI test after aussie spit fixing and it's here Azhar played at 3 with Misbah as captain. I'm not aware of azhar ever featuring In international test prior to this.

As for the other names, Shehzad isn't a nobody in test, In terms of fame 100%, he's a nobody and had no lasting impact, He was also an attitude head, however he was a good test player, the problem however is that pcb removed him from all formats for odi failure and t20 failures, Even for the Bangladesh series after wc they removed him from test and odi but kept him for t20 which made no sense, since logic dictates he should have been dropped from odi and t20 and kept in test.

Yasir Shah was also Misbah's find in test, And haris sohail was also Misbah's find but haris flourished and became a better batter post misbah era, However the utilisation of spin from haris was misbah's call.

I don't like Misbah one bit, He is a bottler and very selfish batter, I was watching his 20q3 sa game where he made his useless 50 and still lost pakistan the game by 28 runs, Dude bottled it badly even in a bilateral.

However in test he was a different beast in UAE and not everything he touched turned to crap.

He's hated for his t20 nonsense as coach and selector and for his questionable takes in odi like stubbornly insisting that jamshed should play > Sarfi for 6 games and dropping fawad.

But I don't fault him for test and some of his finds. Haris sohaol and azhar were his biggest finds.
@Ahmed216 okay I checked, he was a feature in aussie test series but he only played one game, aka the 2nd test, Didn't play 1st and was dropped from 3rd and he didn't play at no 3 either.

That came in wi series straight after

Thier can be a space for two different types of players in the xi in odis and t20s.

It was a brutal Innings and played shots on both sides however it was against a medium pace and a bowler who bowls full tosses.

It was a brutal Innings and played shots on both sides however it was against a medium pace and a bowler who bowls full tosses.
Thing is buggers can't be choosers.

Pakistan doesn't have a Travis lying around.

If he can bully trundlers way way better then chacha and agha, 2 players who are international representatives, then it's clear he warrants a place over those 2 jokers.

Terrific prospect. With all the champions emerging from this tournament, Pakistan can, hopefully, once again regain #1 ODI ranking and become favourites for Champions Trophy.

Plenty of talent there. Hats off to Mohsin Naqvi and his vision.

All 3 toiled in domestic cricket for years and reaped their rewards.
It was Malik who first picked Ajmal.
Rizwan debuted only after Misbah left.
Yasir with his domestic form was bound to play regardless who was the captain at that time
Rizwan played under SNGPL, Misbah kept pushing for Rizwan when he was near his retiremnent, because he knew Rizwan was getting ready by then

for a moment i thought it was about Abdul Samad from india. Powerful striker. played some crucial cameos for cummins Sunrisers this season.

Abdul Samad in his press conference:

"I made my first-class debut under Misbah Bhai and he was aware of my talent. On lower levels, opportunities are hard to get but I don't want to get into the details. This tournament is a wonderful opportunity for every youngster to showcase their talent."

"The batting position doesn't matter to me. I am available to play at any position. I have been playing since 2012, I came through a proper pathway but I wasn't given enough opportunities. I was preparing hard for this day and eventually, it came off for me today."

Rizwan played under SNGPL, Misbah kept pushing for Rizwan when he was near his retiremnent, because he knew Rizwan was getting ready by then
Without a doubt Misbah insists on things that cause Pakistan long term harm.

Without a doubt Misbah insists on things that cause Pakistan long term harm.
Rizzu should have stayed in his lane, no one would fault him if he did.

Pakistan could have used a replacement keeper for sarfi as to give him time and breathing room for rests and recovery incase sarfi got injured or if sarfi wanted to take a breather for some minnow games against Zimbabwe.

And by the time Sarfraz retired, Rizwan could have been the next all format keeper batting at 6 in all formats. Greed and opportunities, horrific combo for catastrophe

Salman Butt about Abdul Samad via Instagram post:

"Today's real highlights were Abdul Samad, who came in after Iftikhar Ahmed and captivated everyone with his performance. He played big shots, hitting boundaries on all four sides of the wicket against both fast bowlers and spinners."

"In Pakistan, it's rare to see a batter's physical presence make an impact on the crease, especially at the number where he batted, and I believe the Pakistan cricket team needs this kind of batting at the international level. Who knows, Abdul Samad's luck might shine, and he might excel in this role."

someone averaging 41 at strike rate of 74 now a powerhouse cricketer?
His FC/List A stats are questionable

Apparently he was a regular before Imran Khan came into power and scrapped the old domestic system, this guy was nowhere to be seen during the 6 team era.

His stats are from 2018 mainly apparently

I only saw they highlights, but he does pack some power. Needs a good tournament, but otherwise looks good.

I think pak fans have set low set standards from a batsman? You should set way too high standards to produce world class players. Sure you would look for larger sample size in moderately varied conditions, situations, type of bowling.

This guy seems like a proper power hitter. He should be selected for national team.

Right-handed Sharjeel pretty much.

Impressed by Abdul Samad

Doesn’t look like a slogger. Looks to be someone who can adapt to the situation

Can rotate strike well but also has a power game.

We need to invest in players like Abbas Afraid, Jahandad and Abdul Samad.

A decent pipeline of players.

Not just a slogger.

He needs to be playing all the competitions.

Invest in him as the hitter.

He can play fast short pitch bowling and that’s enough to get in to national team , must improve his strike rotation , doesn’t seems to have any apparent weaknesses in his batting , let see more innings of him.

Salman Butt during commentary of the match between Lions and Panthers in Champions One-Day Cup 2024:

"Abdul Samad had an opportunity yesterday. He looked pretty good with his defense against the fast bowlers, and he played Haris Rauf's pace at ease and technically tight too. He was excellent, taking the opportunity with both hands."

He appears to be a promising prospect, but people need to give him time to develop. He also needs to move away from the mindset of being just a hitter and learn to build innings and handle good deliveries. This is essential in international cricket, where some bowlers will consistently deliver 2 to 3 balls per over that are not meant to be hit. The chances of getting out are high if these deliveries are not respected.

Good hitters like Buttler, Warner, Rohit, Dhoni and Pandya manage this balance effectively. Yes, there are times in international cricket when you don't have the luxury of time and must go after every ball, but in that situation, no one can be consistently successful, not even the names I mentioned. Most good hitters reserve aggressive, riskier shots for the worst-case scenarios and wait for the ball in their zone rather than hitting blindly at every opportunity.

Back