[VIDEOS] Andrew Symonds Dies In Car Crash

A-1

Local Club Regular
Runs
Just saw it on TV, shocked

Cricket world mourns as Andrew Symonds dies in car crash

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Former Australian cricket star Andrew Symonds has died in a car accident.

Police released a statement saying they were investigating a fatal single-vehicle crash in Hervey Range, around 50 kilometres from Townsville, last night.

Police and cricket sources confirmed the former international cricketer had died. He was 46.

“Early information indicates, shortly after 11pm the car was being driven on Hervey Range Road, near Alice River Bridge when it left the roadway and rolled,” the statement read.

“Emergency services attempted to revive the 46-year-old driver and sole occupant, however, he died of his injuries.

“The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.”

The death of Symonds continues a tragic year for Australian cricket following the recent passing of legends Rod Marsh and Shane Warne from heart attacks.

Shocked teammates expressed their sorrow online, with Adam Gilchrist tweeting: “This really hurts”.

Former teammate Jason Gillespie posted: “Horrendous news to wake up to. Utterly devastated. We are all gonna miss you mate.”

Former Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akthar also expressed his sympathies.

“Devastated to hear about Andrew Symonds passing away in a car crash in Australia. We shared a great relationship on & off the field. Thoughts & prayers with the family.”

Born in Birmingham and with a Caribbean background, Symonds could have played for England. He was raised by adoptive parents Ken and Barbara Symonds, who moved to Queensland shortly after his adoption.

One of the most athletic and attacking cricketers ever to play for Australia during a relatively short and sometimes troubled career, Symonds has world-class statistics as an allrounder.

He played 26 Tests between 2004 and 2008, scoring 1462 runs at an average of 41 with two centuries. He also claimed 24 wickets at an average of 37 with his lively medium pace and off breakers.

Symonds excelled in white ball cricket, playing 198 one-day internationals for 5088 runs at 40 with six hundreds at a strike rate of 92 and claiming 133 wickets.

His career coincided with the rise of Twenty20 cricket, playing 14 times for Australia for a phenomenal strike rate of 169.

Symonds was an unfulfilled talent during the first five years of his one-day career, which began in 1998, with his batting average dipping below 24 in his first 53 games.

Strongly supported by then captain Ricky Ponting, Symonds was the last man chosen in Australia’s 15-man World Cup squad.

He only played the opening match against Pakistan because Australia’s squad had been hit by injuries and suspension.

With Australia struggling at 4-86 Symonds blazed an 143 out from 125 balls with 18 fours and two sixes to set up victory.

He became of the most important members of the one-day side what went on to win successive World Cups.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...15-p5alf4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible terrible news. Another great who passed away early.

RIP Symonds

Oh no This is so so tragic RIP! Shocked

Just woke up to this horrible news.

RIP! You will be missed.

I have to say, I feel a lot of anger towards Cricket Australia for this premature death.

Roy’s life was on a downward spiral from the time Cricket Australia failed to support him after he was racially abused by the Indians, and indeed they allowed him to be cast as partly responsible. It was the equivalent of slut-shaming a rape victim.

He chose Australia over England because he felt Australian, and that is fine. But ultimately Cricket Australia’s failure to uphold its duty of care has dug him an early grave.

I have to say, I feel a lot of anger towards Cricket Australia for this premature death.

Roy’s life was on a downward spiral from the time Cricket Australia failed to support him after he was racially abused by the Indians, and indeed they allowed him to be cast as partly responsible. It was the equivalent of slut-shaming a rape victim.

He chose Australia over England because he felt Australian, and that is fine. But ultimately Cricket Australia’s failure to uphold its duty of care has dug him an early grave.

You’re saying CA could have prevented a car crash from happening?

Cricket world mourns as Andrew Symonds dies in car crash

Former Australian cricket star Andrew Symonds has died in a car accident.

Police released a statement saying they were investigating a fatal single-vehicle crash in Hervey Range, around 50 kilometres from Townsville, last night.

Police and cricket sources confirmed the former international cricketer had died. He was 46.

“Early information indicates, shortly after 11pm the car was being driven on Hervey Range Road, near Alice River Bridge when it left the roadway and rolled,” the statement read.

“Emergency services attempted to revive the 46-year-old driver and sole occupant, however, he died of his injuries.

“The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.”

The death of Symonds continues a tragic year for Australian cricket following the recent passing of legends Rod Marsh and Shane Warne from heart attacks.

Shocked teammates expressed their sorrow online, with Adam Gilchrist tweeting: “This really hurts”.

Former teammate Jason Gillespie posted: “Horrendous news to wake up to. Utterly devastated. We are all gonna miss you mate.”

Former Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akthar also expressed his sympathies.

“Devastated to hear about Andrew Symonds passing away in a car crash in Australia. We shared a great relationship on & off the field. Thoughts & prayers with the family.”

Born in Birmingham and with a Caribbean background, Symonds could have played for England. He was raised by adoptive parents Ken and Barbara Symonds, who moved to Queensland shortly after his adoption.

One of the most athletic and attacking cricketers ever to play for Australia during a relatively short and sometimes troubled career, Symonds has world-class statistics as an allrounder.

He played 26 Tests between 2004 and 2008, scoring 1462 runs at an average of 41 with two centuries. He also claimed 24 wickets at an average of 37 with his lively medium pace and off breakers.

Symonds excelled in white ball cricket, playing 198 one-day internationals for 5088 runs at 40 with six hundreds at a strike rate of 92 and claiming 133 wickets.

His career coincided with the rise of Twenty20 cricket, playing 14 times for Australia for a phenomenal strike rate of 169.

Symonds was an unfulfilled talent during the first five years of his one-day career, which began in 1998, with his batting average dipping below 24 in his first 53 games.

Strongly supported by then captain Ricky Ponting, Symonds was the last man chosen in Australia’s 15-man World Cup squad.

He only played the opening match against Pakistan because Australia’s squad had been hit by injuries and suspension.

With Australia struggling at 4-86 Symonds blazed an 143 out from 125 balls with 18 fours and two sixes to set up victory.

He became of the most important members of the one-day side what went on to win successive World Cups.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/andrew-symonds-dies-in-car-crash-20220515-p5alf4.html

A single vehicle crash on a rural road in Queensland where he probably hit an animal... but some supposed racial abuse is to blame.

A single vehicle crash on a rural road in Queensland where he probably hit an animal... but some supposed racial abuse is to blame.

We don't know.

In Australia when you hear single vehicle accident it is sometimes the "leave some things unsaid, read between the lines version" of alcohol being involved or the most common unreported/suspected suicide method for men is a single vehicle accident.

It might not be the time to speculate but I think that may be what Junaid is hinting at.

Very sad either way. But I'd agree it's been more or less open that Symonds has been really, really struggling to stay on track after cricket. I'm not sure that is CA's fault- he seems to have had a wild streak inside him always.

We don't know.

In Australia when you hear single vehicle accident it is sometimes the "leave some things unsaid, read between the lines version" of alcohol being involved or the most common unreported/suspected suicide method for men is a single vehicle accident.

It might not be the time to speculate but I think that may be what Junaid is hinting at.

Very sad either way. But I'd agree it's been more or less open that Symonds has been really, really struggling to stay on track after cricket. I'm not sure that is CA's fault- he seems to have had a wild streak inside him always.

So sad another death and so young.

That is the first thing that came to my mind too, single vehicle has been suicide in a lot of cases and having read his history that could be case. It is sad either way as he has left family behind who will miss him dearly.

We don't know.

Roy was a simple guy. He liked to train hard, play hard and party hard afterwards.

He was never the same after Monkeygate. Not so much because of the racial abuse by the Indians, but more the cover-up when Tendulkar changed his evidence and the lack of support from Cricket Australia.

He moved back up to North Queensland after 25 years in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, and led a reclusive life on a rural property an hour west of Townsville. And he hit the bottle a little too hard.

I don’t blame India - I blame Cricket Australia. He was basically dumped because he jeopardised a huge financial windfall with the BCCI, and it has now basically ended his life. It won’t be suicide, but it’s the result of him withdrawing from public life to a rural property, and driving a terrible road in wet conditions late at night.

I already hated Harbhajan and Tendulkar for how they treated Roy and lied about Monkeygate. But now I’m furious with Cricket Australia too. This is on them. They had a duty of care and they blew it.

Cricket Australia Statement - Andrew Symonds

Australian cricket is shocked and saddened by the news of Andrew Symonds' passing.

Cricket Australia Chair Lachlan Henderson, said:

“Australian cricket has lost another of its very best. Andrew was a generational talent who was instrumental in Australia’s success at World Cups and as part of Queensland’s rich cricket history.

“He was a cult figure to many who was treasured by his fans and friends.

“On behalf of Australian cricket our deepest sympathies are with Andrew’s family, team-mates, and friends."

Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley, said:

“Andrew was a much-loved and admired cricketer in Australia and around the world.

"He was a prodigious talent from an early age in Queensland with his clean ball-striking ability, shrewd spin bowling and brilliant fielding.

“He will be sadly missed by the Australian cricket community and particularly his very close friends at the Queensland Bulls where he was a popular and much-admired team-mate and friend.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this devastatingly sad time.”

Symonds played 26 Tests for Australia between 2004 and 2008, and 198 one-day internationals, and was a crucial member of two World Cup winning teams in 2003 and 2007.

He was one of the most exciting and versatile all-rounders of his generation, bowling both off-spin and medium pace, and played many match winning hands with his explosive hard-hitting middle order batting. He was also one of the top fielders in world cricket.

Symonds played for Queensland for 17 seasons, and was player of the match in the 2002 Pura Cup final. He also played for Gloucestershire, Kent, Lancashire and Surrey in the English County Championship and for Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians in the IPL.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As we mourn the loss of former Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds, we take a look back to his tremendous 143* against Pakistan at the 2003 World Cup.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPRoy?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RIPRoy</a> <a href="https://t.co/oyoH7idzkb">pic.twitter.com/oyoH7idzkb</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1525667302515122176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shocked to hear about the sudden demise of Andrew Symonds. Gone too soon. Heartfelt condolences to the family and friends. Prayers for the departed soul &#55357;&#56911;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPSymonds?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RIPSymonds</a></p>— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) <a href="https://twitter.com/harbhajan_singh/status/1525668871797035009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mate, just let it go, now is not the time for this rant about what you heard between CA and Symonds.

RIP Symonds!

It was a pleasure watching him bat and also his athleticism on field.

Shocking news. RIP.
[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], seriously? How is CA responsible for a grown man hitting the bottle? And not to speak bad about the dead but it is a known fact that Symmo was always a loose canon - had anger issues, alcohol issues & several disciplinary infractions both before & after the monkey gate. Infact, if i remember right he was suspended from the team when he turned up drunk in a game against Bangladesh a year or two before the Monkeygate incident!

Also if Symonds had that big a problem with BCCI, he would have never played in the IPL - with a team which already had Harbhajan Singh no less! Surely that incident was blown out of proportion.

Really unexpected news.

He will probably be remembered for monkeygate and 143 against Pakistan.

Tragic news, Symonds was one of the most impactful batters of the 2000s and a great cricketer. At one point of time during 2006-2008, I genuinely considered him as the most valuable ODI player in the world, considering the kind of impact he had with his batting, bowling and gun fielding.

Farewell Roy. You will be missed. 😢

To remember some of the magic created by the man they called 'Roy', we've taken a look at five of his finest moments.

5. 72 & 3-50 v SA, MCG, Dec 2005

Andrew Symonds made a first-ball duck in the first innings of this match, which served to further sharpen the knives of those who suggested he would never transfer his one-day brilliance into the Test arena. With the ball, his medium pacers then captured 3-50, which must have stirred his confidence; second time around, he carted six sixes in an astonishing 54-ball 72. Australia won the match comfortably and Symonds was on his way in whites.

4. 151 v SL, SCG, Feb 2006

Sri Lanka were one-nil up in the VB Series and sniffing a finals whitewash when they had Australia 3-10 in the third over of this one-day international. Enter Symonds. Teaming up with Ricky Ponting (124), the big Queenslander bullied the Sri Lankan attack to all parts, smashing 151 from 127 balls, including three sixes. His innings propelled the hosts to a monster 5-368. Sri Lanka didn’t get close as Symonds chipped in with two wickets to complete a player-of-the-match display.

3. 162no v Ind, SCG, Jan 2008

This one was littered with – and ultimately overshadowed by – controversy, but in the end, it was also a match-winning knock. Symonds entered the SCG cauldron with the score at 6-134, and India desperate to square the series and prevent Ricky Ponting’s side from equalling a world record 16 Test match wins on the trot. After surviving a huge shout for caught behind, and having been given the benefit of the doubt in a perilously close stumping decision, he proceeded to set Sydney alight with a breathtaking rear-guard performance. It was his second and final Test hundred, and it paved the way for one of Test cricket’s most dramatic victories.

2. 156 v England, MCG, Dec 2006

Symonds got his chance to add to Australian cricket folklore in an Ashes whitewash after the sudden retirement of Damien Martyn. He took it spectacularly at the MCG, his first Test century brought up with a six as he again rescued Australia from a precarious position. Joining good mate Matthew Hayden in the middle with the scoreboard reading 5-84, Symonds changed the course of the contest with the sort of counter-punching innings usually reserved for Adam Gilchrist. He and Hayden (153) put on 279 for the sixth wicket, snuffing out any hint of an England fightback and putting Australia on course for a four-nil series lead.

1. 143no v Pak, New Wanderers, Feb 2003

This was the breakthrough knock that launched a superb career. With Australia’s World Cup defence already rocked by Shane Warne’s diuretics scandal, a shift in momentum was dramatically needed. Symonds provided it, and how. His selection in the squad – let alone the starting XI – the subject of intense speculation after just 69 runs in his previous seven innings, Symonds loomed as the unlikeliest hero in Australia’s batting line-up. Yet when the score slipped to 4-86, he strode to the crease and set about taking control. Some 34 overs later, he was still there, having guided Australia to a mammoth 8-310 with the innings he will forever be remembered for: 143 not out from 125 balls, including 18 fours and two sixes. Pakistan’s much-vaunted attack of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar and Shahid Afridi had been cut to ribbons, and the Australians were on their way to an undefeated World Cup triumph.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/and...s-india-century-world-cup-pakistan/2022-05-15

Shocking.. and Sad.. was one of my favourite player during his playing days.. more than batting i like his athleticism in the field..

Last edited:
Shocking news. RIP.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], seriously? How is CA responsible for a grown man hitting the bottle? And not to speak bad about the dead but it is a known fact that Symmo was always a loose canon - had anger issues, alcohol issues & several disciplinary infractions both before & after the monkey gate. Infact, if i remember right he was suspended from the team when he turned up drunk in a game against Bangladesh a year or two before the Monkeygate incident!

Also if Symonds had that big a problem with BCCI, he would have never played in the IPL - with a team which already had Harbhajan Singh no less! Surely that incident was blown out of proportion.
He didn’t have any anger issues that I have ever heard of.

Roy may have been a big strong athlete, but he was also a vulnerable fellow. He was adopted and grew up mixed race in a fairly racist state.

He always affected being super-Aussie: even Rob Key talks about him playing John Williamson Aussie folk music when they roomed together at Kent.

He responded to the racist taunts the way he had been told to, only to find his own management trying to change the subject.

Janice Petersen is Australia’s top international news anchor, and her tweet today recognised Monkeygate as has roughly 30% of the contributors to ABC and SEN radio’s coverage today.

I would argue that it’s disrespectful to Roy to whitewash what happened and to ignore why he was even living in North Queensland. Without Monkeygate he’d still be living in the next suburb to me on the Gold Coast.

Roy may have been a big strong athlete, but he was also a vulnerable fellow. He was adopted and grew up mixed race in a fairly racist state.

He always affected being super-Aussie: even Rob Key talks about him playing John Williamson Aussie folk music when they roomed together at Kent.

He responded to the racist taunts the way he had been told to, only to find his own management trying to change the subject.

Janice Petersen is Australia’s top international news anchor, and her tweet today recognised Monkeygate as has roughly 30% of the contributors to ABC and SEN radio’s coverage today.

I would argue that it’s disrespectful to Roy to whitewash what happened and to ignore why he was even living in North Queensland. Without Monkeygate he’d still be living in the next suburb to me on the Gold Coast.

Noticed you didnt mention anything about his alcoholism throughout his career, dont you think that might have played a part in how his career & life panned out? And if by your own words, if he grew up in a racist state surely he would have not been disillusioned by CA’s response?

Symonds loved fishing camping and hunting, he loved the outdoors and the wildness of the bush. Thats why he lived in North Queensland and it had nothing to do with monkeygate. Most people that live on the gold coast are boring people that are materialistic which is what Symonds was not.

I was just randomly checking top trends on Twitter and saw Roy’s name in the top list and then you automatically understand something must have happend.

Australia have lost 3 big cricketers in 2022.

Symonds loved fishing camping and hunting, he loved the outdoors and the wildness of the bush. Thats why he lived in North Queensland and it had nothing to do with monkeygate. Most people that live on the gold coast are boring people that are materialistic which is what Symonds was not.

Agree he lived there because he loved the lifestyle.

He may have had demons and whi doesn't but his move to NQLD was lifestyle!

Tragic news, RIP. He was a great allrounder!

P.S to the members who thinks this is the time to bring up subjects like racism/alcoholic issues/etc, perhaps give it a rest. Give your respect to a man that just passed away and talk about it another day.

This is just terrible.

I mean to see the players you grew up watching die so young, it just feels weird and depressing.

Must be even more terrible for players who played with him, 2 of their teammates gone too soon.

Andrew Symonds Dies In Car Crash

Woke up this incredible sad news which I just can´t digest. He was one of my most favourite cricketers in my teenage years and one whose batting I would always look forward to from the great Australian team of the 2000s. He was one of those very rare batsmen who, instead of batting cautiously or going slow, would try to pull his team out of trouble by going on a leather-hunt, which was an extremely rare quality to have, as the usually approach would always be to be extra cautious and careful to avoid the risk of further wickets falling. This particular approach of his made me a huge fan of Symonds, and his career was full of such instances. Besides that, he would often, rather surprisingly, turn matches with economical bowling spells, and was rightly considered one of the best fielders in the world in his days. I genuinely believe that he was a hugely under-rated force and was a most valuable asset to the great Australia team of years ago.

Deeply, deeply saddened by his sudden death at a very young age of 46. Heartfelt condolences to his family and all beloved ones.

Terrible news! RIP Roy!

What a terrible last month or so! First Rod Marsh, then Warnie and now Roy!

Life is so unpredictable.

Oh my god, yet another tragic loss of an Australian cricketer. Dean Jones, Rod Marsh, Shane Warne and Andrew Symonds all gone too soon.

He was an imposing presence and one of the hardest hitters of a cricket ball I've seen with some of his most destructive knocks coming against Pakistan - most notably the 2003 World Cup match when AUS were struggling at 146-5.

Symonds' demons were well documented however and perhaps prevented him from realising his full potential.

RIP.

It’s just a very sad story.

==

Tributes poured in on Sunday praising both Andrew Symonds the cricketer and Andrew Symonds the man.

As news emerged the former Australian all-rounder had died in a car accident in Queensland on Saturday night, he was being remembered as a loyal mate and a talented cricketer who was the ultimate entertainer.

But for someone who could bomb the ball over the fence and perform feats of athleticism in the field most could only dream of, the end of Symonds’ career is a deeply sad chapter in Australian cricket.

An average of 40.61 from 26 Tests and six tons from 198 ODIs — to go with two successful World Cup campaigns — should fill the resume of a man given the perfect send-off when the curtain came down on his time in professional cricket.

Sadly, that wasn’t the case, as on-field accusations led to off-field turmoil that eventually saw Symonds walk away disillusioned with the sport he loved so much.

Accusation changed everything for Symonds

The catalyst for Symonds’ downward spiral came during the Sydney Test against India in January of 2008. The Aussie alleged Harbhajan Singh called him a “monkey” and the accusation caused an international storm.

Symonds said later Singh had actually called him a “monkey” in an earlier ODI series, prompting the Aussie to visit India’s changeroom to speak to the off-spinner and tell him to stop.

According to Symonds, Singh accepted his request at the time but it happened again.

“He said it probably two or three times (in Sydney). From that moment on that was my downhill slide,” Symonds told Mark Howard on an episode of his Howie Games podcastin 2018.

India threatened to quit the tour and Symonds felt let down by a lack of support from Cricket Australia, who he says begged him to downgrade the charge of racial vilification against Singh.

Symonds said the way the situation was handled was “destructive” for the Aussies as “politics and money” talked more loudly than justice.

Faced with the prospect of losing tens of millions of dollars if the all-powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) followed through with its threat to leave Australia, CA was accused of caving under pressure and bowing to the demands of its Indian counterparts rather than backing its own player.

Speaking on The Brett Lee Podcast last month, Symonds referenced “lies” and said “we weren’t going to put all this on if we didn't hear what was said”.

Symonds added stump microphone recordings mysteriously vanished, so they couldn’t back up his case, giving Singh more leeway to get off.

Singh was originally handed a three-match ban, which was later overturned on appeal. Symonds’ teammates supported him — then-captain Ricky Ponting made an official complaint when the incident was relayed back to him — but it didn’t matter.

Listen to Andrew Symonds in his final interview by searching for The Brett Lee Podcast wherever you listen to podcasts, or press play here:

Symonds started to ‘drink heavily’ as life fell apart

Symonds admitted he struggled to deal with the fallout, feeling guilty for his mates being dragged into “Monkeygate”. He started to drink too much and his cricket suffered, while his personal life was also affected.

“I started to drink heavily as a result of it and my life was starting to dissolve around me,” Symonds told the Howie Games. “I felt the pressure and the weight of dragging those mates of mine into the cauldron of this cesspit that should never have got to this sort of point where we felt guilty.”

Speaking to respected journalist Robert Craddock for an episode of Fox Sports’ Cricket Legends, Symonds said Ponting saw the change in him from that point on.

“I talk to Ricky and he said, ‘That was the start of your career going downhill’ and I completely agree,” Symonds said.

“I went through a proper system where I was diagnosed with binge drinking. I had to see a counsellor for eight weeks … so I went through the proper process to make sure I was going to be OK.

“It was taking its toll.”

In August 2008 as Australia prepared to play Bangladesh in an ODI series, Symonds was sent home for skipping a team meeting to go fishing. Adding another layer to the situation was the fact Michael Clarke was filling in for Ponting as captain, and had to sign off on the tough call.

Symonds said his absence from that meeting was the result of miscommunication because training had been changed from the afternoon to the morning at late notice, and he was filthy at being punished.

Clarke and Symonds were great mates when the former first came into the national team, but their relationship fell apart and never recovered — partly because the all-rounder thought “Pup” had hung him out to dry.

Forced to sign a different contract to the rest of the Aussie squad that included a commitment to not drink ahead of the World T20 in England in 2009, Symonds caved when he had a beer while watching a State of Origin match. He was sent home and never played for Australia again.

Sad response sums up ugly Australian exit

Symonds’ career deserved a guard of honour and a standing ovation. Instead, he exited in controversial fashion, never to be seen in Australian colours again.

Craddock said he’d spoken to friends of the cricketer who believe the Singh saga “broke” Symonds and he “never recaptured his faith in the game” afterwards. It was a sentiment the Queenslander agreed with.

“Yeah it did,” Symonds said. “It didn’t break me initially but as you said earlier, I had no faith in the system.

“I didn’t feel I had any support from the powers that be.

“I’d done some silly things but at the moment I needed support and the boys needed some support, it was non-existent … due to money and politics.

“That kills me, that sort of behaviour.”

Asked by Craddock if, looking back on his cricket career, Symonds was “satisfied” and “at peace”, the Aussie legend replied: “No, is probably the answer to that.

“As a player you want to go out under your own terms.”

His time with Australia was over but Symonds’ cricket career continued in the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL).

After a stint with the Deccan Chargers he became Singh’s teammate at the Mumbai Indians. While it was frosty at first, an emotional apology from the finger spinner at a team BBQ a few games into the season was the catalyst for the two breaking bread.

“When I got to Mumbai it was icy, when I walked in there the first time,” Symonds told Howard.

“We’d had a few drinks and Harbhajan came over to me. He said, ‘Boss can I talk to you for a minute?’

“He said, ‘I really want to apologise for what I did and what I said, I hope it hasn’t harmed you or your family too badly,’ and he broke down.

“I could just see the weight lift off his shoulders when he got that off his chest.”

Symonds sorted his personal issues out, too. He got married for a second time to wife Laura, and the couple had two kids together, as he found “paradise” in retirement living in north Queensland.

Symonds embarked on a successful commentary career once his playing days ended, but he was taken from cricket fans far too soon.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...n/news-story/adb3a699841eb7cd332c93e2a992a0db

Terrible news.

What a great cricketer he was.

That 100 against Pakistan in the World Cup was a brutal innings.

To remember some of the magic created by the man they called 'Roy', we've taken a look at five of his finest moments.

5. 72 & 3-50 v SA, MCG, Dec 2005

Andrew Symonds made a first-ball duck in the first innings of this match, which served to further sharpen the knives of those who suggested he would never transfer his one-day brilliance into the Test arena. With the ball, his medium pacers then captured 3-50, which must have stirred his confidence; second time around, he carted six sixes in an astonishing 54-ball 72. Australia won the match comfortably and Symonds was on his way in whites.

4. 151 v SL, SCG, Feb 2006

Sri Lanka were one-nil up in the VB Series and sniffing a finals whitewash when they had Australia 3-10 in the third over of this one-day international. Enter Symonds. Teaming up with Ricky Ponting (124), the big Queenslander bullied the Sri Lankan attack to all parts, smashing 151 from 127 balls, including three sixes. His innings propelled the hosts to a monster 5-368. Sri Lanka didn’t get close as Symonds chipped in with two wickets to complete a player-of-the-match display.

3. 162no v Ind, SCG, Jan 2008

This one was littered with – and ultimately overshadowed by – controversy, but in the end, it was also a match-winning knock. Symonds entered the SCG cauldron with the score at 6-134, and India desperate to square the series and prevent Ricky Ponting’s side from equalling a world record 16 Test match wins on the trot. After surviving a huge shout for caught behind, and having been given the benefit of the doubt in a perilously close stumping decision, he proceeded to set Sydney alight with a breathtaking rear-guard performance. It was his second and final Test hundred, and it paved the way for one of Test cricket’s most dramatic victories.

2. 156 v England, MCG, Dec 2006

Symonds got his chance to add to Australian cricket folklore in an Ashes whitewash after the sudden retirement of Damien Martyn. He took it spectacularly at the MCG, his first Test century brought up with a six as he again rescued Australia from a precarious position. Joining good mate Matthew Hayden in the middle with the scoreboard reading 5-84, Symonds changed the course of the contest with the sort of counter-punching innings usually reserved for Adam Gilchrist. He and Hayden (153) put on 279 for the sixth wicket, snuffing out any hint of an England fightback and putting Australia on course for a four-nil series lead.

1. 143no v Pak, New Wanderers, Feb 2003

This was the breakthrough knock that launched a superb career. With Australia’s World Cup defence already rocked by Shane Warne’s diuretics scandal, a shift in momentum was dramatically needed. Symonds provided it, and how. His selection in the squad – let alone the starting XI – the subject of intense speculation after just 69 runs in his previous seven innings, Symonds loomed as the unlikeliest hero in Australia’s batting line-up. Yet when the score slipped to 4-86, he strode to the crease and set about taking control. Some 34 overs later, he was still there, having guided Australia to a mammoth 8-310 with the innings he will forever be remembered for: 143 not out from 125 balls, including 18 fours and two sixes. Pakistan’s much-vaunted attack of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar and Shahid Afridi had been cut to ribbons, and the Australians were on their way to an undefeated World Cup triumph.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/and...s-india-century-world-cup-pakistan/2022-05-15

The innings that broke our hearts!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/6d6gxo" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"An absolute screamer." <a href="https://t.co/SjB5tQohVe">pic.twitter.com/SjB5tQohVe</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1525742779703369728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roy was a simple guy. He liked to train hard, play hard and party hard afterwards.

He was never the same after Monkeygate. Not so much because of the racial abuse by the Indians, but more the cover-up when Tendulkar changed his evidence and the lack of support from Cricket Australia.

He moved back up to North Queensland after 25 years in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, and led a reclusive life on a rural property an hour west of Townsville. And he hit the bottle a little too hard.

I don’t blame India - I blame Cricket Australia. He was basically dumped because he jeopardised a huge financial windfall with the BCCI, and it has now basically ended his life. It won’t be suicide, but it’s the result of him withdrawing from public life to a rural property, and driving a terrible road in wet conditions late at night.

I already hated Harbhajan and Tendulkar for how they treated Roy and lied about Monkeygate. But now I’m furious with Cricket Australia too. This is on them. They had a duty of care and they blew it.

After the monkey gate incident, Symonds played in IPL for 2 franchise - Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians. He was captained by Tendulkar in MI and Hatbhajan Singh was his team mate.

He also appeared in Indian big brother tv serial.

All this suggests that he had moved on from that Monkey gate saga long time ago and this tragic car crash has got nothing to do with it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A minutes silence was observed around the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LVCountyChamp?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LVCountyChamp</a> grounds as a mark of respect to Andrew Symonds <a href="https://t.co/ZWSVz4WnnU">pic.twitter.com/ZWSVz4WnnU</a></p>— LV= Insurance County Championship (@CountyChamp) <a href="https://twitter.com/CountyChamp/status/1525853353066082310?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2022</a></blockquote>

He self-destructed any defence he might have had on that front by coming to the IPL with his tongue hanging out, and in Harbhajan's team no less.

He self-destructed any defence he might have had on that front by coming to the IPL with his tongue hanging out, and in Harbhajan's team no less.
And wasn't MI being led by Tendulkar at that time?

So much so for conspiracy theories!

Have some decency for someone who has passed away, 'tongue hanging out' what kind of language is that?

Also, players get paid for their abilities, Symonds was such a fine cricketer that he got a good amount in the IPL, and it was not Harbhajan's team, Harbhajan is not a team owner paying Symonds from his pocket, he was paid by Mumbai Indians. As a professional cricketer you along with all your teammates and that's exactly what Symonds did.

Him playing in the IPL doesn't in anyway suggest that he approves of what all happened in the monkeygate controversy.

He played in the IPL as a professional cricketer who got paid for his skills, nothing more, nothing less.

What I am about to say is not really about Monkeygate, but it is about the changes in Roy.

People think he was this semi-educated simpleton who just wanted to fish and farm.

No, and no.

He was adopted by a couple of teachers and he was educated at All Saints Anglican College on the Gold Coast - an elite private school. (My kids went to its main competitor, Somerset College).

The Gold Coast has a glitter strip beside the ocean which is just for tourists, behind which sit residential suburbs built on lakes and canals, and behind that - just 20 minutes from the ocean - is the Hinterland, where people can live on large blocks of land with horses or can actually farm. This is a city of around 800,000 people, an hour south of the state capital, Brisbane (population 2 million).

For almost his entire career, Roy lived in Brisbane or on the Gold Coast. He kept his school friendships and added on friendships with Bulls Cricket teammates and Broncos rugby league stars. He was a fixture in the pubs at Paddington, where the Broncos socialised. And he had a very low threshold for going out to sea from the Gold Coast.

Around a dozen years ago, Symonds changed. He gave up his social life and he relocated to a large rural property 1000 km away, an hour west of Townsville.

He found an escape from the world and he seems to have been happy. And this adopted, mixed-race boy grew into a man who was the most Australian Australian imaginable, listening to terrible Aussie country music and wearing RM Williams clothes and an Akubra Hat.

I have taken flak myself on this forum for identifying as English and for disowning my paternal family’s Bengali roots. But I see a lot of myself in Roy, a man who straddled multiple races and two nationalities, and whose career will forever be defined by an on-field racial incident.

As a psychiatrist I understand the complex racial identity issues he dealt with, but I find it hard to process why this elite private schoolboy from the city decided to live as a simple man from the countryside.

No one is addressing the elephant in the room - drink driving. We all know how Symonds loved a drink. So lets save the Monkeygate prognosis.

RIP.

No one is addressing the elephant in the room - drink driving. We all know how Symonds loved a drink. So lets save the Monkeygate prognosis.

RIP.

That was my concern as soon as I heard about this.

I hope it wasn't the case.

RIP.

I don’t know, to be honest.

This sort of road is unlit and usually was cut and surfaced on a limited budget.

Factor in wet conditions, and the fact that a local who is used to driving it by day is likely to drive too fast in the dark, and I suspect you have your explanation.

Bad road.
Bad conditions.
Overconfident driver driving too fast.

What I am about to say is not really about Monkeygate, but it is about the changes in Roy.

People think he was this semi-educated simpleton who just wanted to fish and farm.

No, and no.

He was adopted by a couple of teachers and he was educated at All Saints Anglican College on the Gold Coast - an elite private school. (My kids went to its main competitor, Somerset College).

The Gold Coast has a glitter strip beside the ocean which is just for tourists, behind which sit residential suburbs built on lakes and canals, and behind that - just 20 minutes from the ocean - is the Hinterland, where people can live on large blocks of land with horses or can actually farm. This is a city of around 800,000 people, an hour south of the state capital, Brisbane (population 2 million).

For almost his entire career, Roy lived in Brisbane or on the Gold Coast. He kept his school friendships and added on friendships with Bulls Cricket teammates and Broncos rugby league stars. He was a fixture in the pubs at Paddington, where the Broncos socialised. And he had a very low threshold for going out to sea from the Gold Coast.

Around a dozen years ago, Symonds changed. He gave up his social life and he relocated to a large rural property 1000 km away, an hour west of Townsville.

He found an escape from the world and he seems to have been happy. And this adopted, mixed-race boy grew into a man who was the most Australian Australian imaginable, listening to terrible Aussie country music and wearing RM Williams clothes and an Akubra Hat.

I have taken flak myself on this forum for identifying as English and for disowning my paternal family’s Bengali roots. But I see a lot of myself in Roy, a man who straddled multiple races and two nationalities, and whose career will forever be defined by an on-field racial incident.

As a psychiatrist I understand the complex racial identity issues he dealt with, but I find it hard to process why this elite private schoolboy from the city decided to live as a simple man from the countryside.

I just don't understand this post.

A lot of self gloating about me, me me. Mate can you make posts like this on the monkey gate thread.

This thread is about a tragic passing of a legendary player and not about you being a psychiatrist, your kids going to private schools etc.

Give Symmo the respect he deserves and take yourself out of it...

RIP to Andrew Symonds.

I 100% agree with [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

Anyone who has followed the life of Symonds after Monkeygate will realise how much this affected not just his career but his life. He was never the same after this incident.

No surprise to see Indians getting their knickers in a twist when dealt with facts.

The likes of Harbhajan and Tendulkar are a disgusting bunch and what's even more disgusting is the fact that not a single Indian on here will condemn either of these two despite what they during the Monkeygate scandal on and off the field.

Another clear example of Indians dissing the dead.

Just like Sunil Gavasakar after Shane Warne died. You guys never change and will never learn.

RIP to Andrew Symonds.

I 100% agree with [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

Anyone who has followed the life of Symonds after Monkeygate will realise how much this affected not just his career but his life. He was never the same after this incident.

No surprise to see Indians getting their knickers in a twist when dealt with facts.

The likes of Harbhajan and Tendulkar are a disgusting bunch and what's even more disgusting is the fact that not a single Indian on here will condemn either of these two despite what they during the Monkeygate scandal on and off the field.

Indian players did nothing wrong. Australians started it and they got what they deserved.

Definitely another shocking news to read from the cricketing world with an ex player going too early.

He was a quality finisher (Possibly one of the best of his era where his SR was much superior then the average SR of his time), handy bowler and a top fielder. A true modern day player who in this day and age every team strives to find for that no 6 role but, there haven't been many.

I understand what some are saying that what should be discussed on this thread and what should not.

However, what [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] has mentioned, Foxsports have just released an article "The ugly moment cricket failed Symonds and forever ‘changed’ Aussie cult hero" post Symonds shocking death.

He obviously would have had his shortcomings but, his career and his life was surely impacted by what happened in 2007-08 and that is after that his career as well as his composure started to went downhill. Not only his cricket career ended at around 32 years of age when he was around his peak, he since then could not be involved in cricket in any other form.

Always entertaining to read Junaids' dog whistle theories :D

RIP Roy, you were a fun batter and good fielder.

Indian players did nothing wrong. Australians started it and they got what they deserved.

So symonds being racially abused was well deserved?
Disgusting comment

Rip symonds Another big big loss for cricket

Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting said Andrew Symonds was an extraordinary player after latter’s demise on Saturday (May 14) night.

Symonds died at the age of 46 in a car accident about 50 kilometers outside Townsville, a coastal city in northeastern part of Queensland state in Australia.

“Early information indicates, shortly after 11pm the car was being driven on Hervey Range Road, near Alice River Bridge when it left the roadway and rolled,” the Queensland police statement confirmed.

“Emergency services attempted to revive the 46-year-old driver and sole occupant, however, he died of his injuries,” the statement further said.

Symonds played 26 Tests, 198 ODIs and 14 T20 International matches for the Australian national team in an international career, that spanned over a decade (1998-2009).

Symonds scored 6887 runs across all formats, averaging 40.27 in 238 international matches. He also picked 165 wickets in his career.

Symonds was part of Ponting’s victorious Australia in the 2003 and 2007 World Cup. In a match against Pakistan in the 2003 WC in Johannesburg, Symonds tore apart a formidable Pakistan bowling attack comprising Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar.

The right-handed batter remained unbeaten on 143 off 125 balls, his innings was laced by 18 fours and two sixes, striking at 114.

Ponting, who is currently coaching Delhi Capitals in India in IPL 2022, mentioned the reason for having Symonds in his triumphant team and gave condolences to his former teammate’s family.

“If Roy (Symonds) shook your hand you had his word, that’s the sort of bloke he was and that’s why I always wanted him on my team,” Ponting tweeted.

“An extraordinary player and even better human being. Can’t believe he’s gone. Thoughts are with his family at this time,” he further wrote.

Symonds retired from all formats of cricket in 2012 and became a regular member in broadcasting for Australia’s international games and Big Bash League (BBL).

He played for Surrey, now-defunct team Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians in domestic competitions in India and England.

https://cricketaddictor.com/cricket...ook-your-hand-you-had-his-word-ricky-ponting/

I understand what some are saying that what should be discussed on this thread and what should not.

However, what [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] has mentioned, Foxsports have just released an article "The ugly moment cricket failed Symonds and forever ‘changed’ Aussie cult hero" post Symonds shocking death.

He obviously would have had his shortcomings but, his career and his life was surely impacted by what happened in 2007-08 and that is after that his career as well as his composure started to went downhill. Not only his cricket career ended at around 32 years of age when he was around his peak, he since then could not be involved in cricket in any other form.

This is the article to which you have referred.

As I wrote, it is more about Cricket Australia than the Indians.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...h/news-story/8184301ec4273ba7a617227a8f10ea64

Quite often, how we judge a player can come down to how well they perform on the big stage in crucial matches and, if that is the criteria, then Andrew Symonds can consider himself a true star of the game.

While Symonds' overall record reads superbly on its own accord, his performances at the 2003 and 2007 World Cups indicate just how well the big Queenslander managed to turn it on when his team needed him most and the entire world was watching on in earnest.

During Australia's unbeaten run at the two 50-over World Cups, Symonds played a total of 18 matches and averaged more than 100 with the bat through a total of 13 innings.

Such was the dominance of Australia's top-order, Symonds was often not even required with the bat or was merely utilised to score quick runs at the tail end of an innings.

But he was adaptable depending on the situation of the game, arguably just as adept at playing the patient game and seeing off the dangerous bowlers as he was at striking quick runs.

When required Symonds could score extremely quickly, often showcasing his skills at the backend of an innings to help his side post a big total, or even chase down a formidable target.

Andrew Symonds’ overall World Cup record:
18 matches
13 innings
515 runs
103.00 average
93.29 strike rate

If we take a look through a list of his innings at the two World Cups, we can see just how much of a valuable member he was of the formidable Australian team.

CWC Greatest Moments - Symonds to the rescue in 2003
2003 World Cup in South Africa (326 runs from five innings with a batting average of 163)
143* v Pakistan in Johannesburg
59 v Namibia in Potchefstroom
0 v England in Gqeberha
33* v Kenya in Durban
91* v Sri Lanka in Gqeberha

Symonds' unbeaten 143 against Pakistan in Australia's tournament opener was arguably his best innings of all time as it really set the tone for what lay ahead.

Australia were in deep trouble when the burly all-rounder came to the crease at 86/4, but Symonds played a superb individual knock against a world class attack that included Wasim Akram, Shoaib Akhtar and Waqar Younis to put the game beyond a star-studded Pakistan side.

Symonds also pulled down a superb diving catch to help obtain the key wicket of Mohammad Yousuf in reply and was duly awarded the Player of the Match award for his efforts.

His knock in the cut-throat semi-final against Sri Lanka was just as important, with Symonds once again coming to the crease with Australia in a spot of bother at 51/3 following the dismissal of good mate Matthew Hayden.

Seamer Chaminda Vaas had his tail up with the key wickets of Ricky Ponting and Hayden and Sri Lanka were keen for more, but Symonds batted intelligently to help Australia post a competitive score of 212/7.

Symonds then held on a tricky catch to help dismiss the dangerous Sanath Jayasuriya in reply as Australia moved into the final courtesy of the Duckworth-Lewis victory.

2007 World Cup in West Indies (189 runs from eight innings at a strike-rate of 98.43)
18 v South Africa in Basseterre
13 v West Indies in North Sound
28* v England in North Sound
15* v Ireland in Bridgetown
63* v Sri Lanka in St George's
11 v New Zealand in St George's
18* v South Africa in Gros Islet
23* v Sri Lanka in Bridgetown

While Symonds' 2007 tournament may have lacked the big individual highlights that featured four years earlier, his efforts in the Caribbean proved the all-rounder now played with more consistency.

A more mature Symonds kept his cool with a valuable 28* to ensure Australia successfully chased down England's total in a crucial Super Eights contest in North Sound, before the right-hander teamed up with Ponting to score an unbeaten half-century and defeat Sri Lanka in the same stage of the tournament.

Symonds once again performed similar roles in the crucial knockout stages of the tournament against South Africa and Sri Lanka, with the all-rounder even making a contribution with the ball to pick up the final wicket of the final as the celebrations began for Australia.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2620000

Message left by Andrew Symonds sister at the crash site

FS1Ky6laMAA9ueV

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I knew Roy since the age of 17 from junior cricket. One of the most gifted athletes I’ve ever witnessed. He didn’t play for money or fame, these things were irrelevant to him. As long as he could afford to wet a line & have a cold beer, Roy was happy. First picked in any team &#55357;&#56468; <a href="https://t.co/l1JN3HHJdI">pic.twitter.com/l1JN3HHJdI</a></p>— Brett Lee (@BrettLee_58) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrettLee_58/status/1525954573898113024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No details on what exactly happened? Was he drunk driving? Was it raining heavily that day?

No details on what exactly happened? Was he drunk driving? Was it raining heavily that day?

1. It was a country road with no lighting and variable curves due to the cheap original construction.

2. The land was fairly saturated after weeks of rain.

3. It was late at night.

Former Australia captain Michael Clarke has returned to the airwaves to discuss his ‘amazing connection’ with Andrew Symonds after his former teammate’s death over the weekend.

Investigations are continuing into what caused Symonds’ car to veer off the road in Hervey Bay near Townsville late on Saturday night.

The former Test and limited overs star passed away at the scene at just 46 years of age.

After taking a break from his regular co-hosting duties on Sky Sports radio show The Big Sports Breakfast on Monday morning, Clarke was ready to discuss the heartbreaking news.

“Tough couple of days for Andrew Symonds’ family and friends and obviously extremely sad, so that was my obviously reason for not being here yesterday,” Clarke said.

“I just wanted to take a bit of time and reach out to a few people as well.

“Really tough. I don’t know what’s going on in cricket at the moment, it’s devastating. Been a horrible few months.

“These are the times you grab your family, your friends and cherish every day, I guess.

The 41-year-old former Test batsman from Sydney said it was a running joke between Australia teammates that Clarke and Symonds were polar opposites away from the field.

Andrew Symonds of Australia (R) is congratulated by team-mate Michael Clarke (L) after making 150 runs during the second Chappell-Hadlee Trophy one day international in 2005.

Clarke said that joke was clearly justified when the pair took a trip together up to North Queensland during their playing days.

“We were so opposite in so many ways. The laughing joke in our team was complete city boy, me, complete country boy, him, yet we built an amazing connection,” Clarke said.

“We did things I thought I’d never experience and wasn’t comfortable doing but with him he made me feel comfortable.

“I remember we did a Winnebago trip from Sydney to Brisbane, then we flew up north to Esmeralda (in North Queensland), we had two weeks so my job as the city boy was to organise the start in Sydney, where we were going to stop along the way to Brissie, then he organised the back half (in the country).

“Talk about out of your comfort zone. We were fishing for barra on these banks where there were crocs everywhere and again, no way would I ever do that on my own but with him he just made you feel so comfortable.”

Clarke said Symonds was his favourite batsman to bat with in the Australian team, declaring the pair “just had a connection” when out in the middle together.

“Some of the things that we both enjoyed about batting — you know that running between wickets, or even how competitive we were at fielding training to try and improve our fielding. It brought the best out of me,” Clarke said.

“Very fortunate to have spent so much time with him on and off the field, to have played with him.

“(He was) probably the most athletic cricketer I’ve ever played with, absolute freak of an athlete.”

However Clarke’s relationship with Symonds was not always perfect.

Clarke was asked about the difficult times in his relationship with Symonds, but chose not to delve into the pair’s struggles in the latter parts of their careers, saying only: “we were very different in a number of ways.”

Their relationship hit a hurdle in 2008 after Symonds was sent home from an Australian camp after choosing a fishing expedition over a team meeting.

Clarke, who was stand-in captain at the time, took a swipe at him for not being 100 per cent committed to the playing group.

There were more public battles since their retirements from the game with Symonds questioning Clarke’s leadership style before Clarke accused Symonds of an unprofessional approach to an ODI match in 2005.

In his autobiography My Story, Clarke wrote that his broken relationship with Symonds ‘killed him’.

“Some former teammates will take his side, and feed his conviction that I let him down and put ambition ahead of mateship,” Clarke wrote.

“I would say that he let me down too — that if he had understood mateship as a two-way street, he would have seen that I had to do what was right for the whole team.”

On Tuesday Clarke said his focus was those closest to Symonds, especially his two young children and his partner.

“It’s extremely sad, such a shocking accident. And the last few months have just been horrible for the cricketing world to be honest,” Clarke said, referencing the recent deaths of greats such as Rod Marsh and Shane Warne.

“I think that’s the key, to remember all those good times and celebrate those,” Clarke said.

“It’s hard to believe. Of all things, an accident — a car accident as well — it’s just so hard to comprehend.

“When you go through some of those feelings, you’ve got to keep remembering the good times.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/...ds-after-cricket-greats-death-at-46-c-6823138

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Memorable interaction during USA trip in 2015. I was playing for <a href="https://twitter.com/sachin_rt?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sachin_rt</a> and Symonds was playing for <a href="https://twitter.com/ShaneWarne?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ShaneWarne</a>. <br>Its so hard to digest that him & warnie are both not with us anymore. <br>Symonds said "i will hit you straight into that screen that there will be fireworks in it" <a href="https://t.co/Benqcrt61F">pic.twitter.com/Benqcrt61F</a></p>— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) <a href="https://twitter.com/shoaib100mph/status/1526109410925346817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It may or may not be documented here on the forum, but I was a huge fan of Symonds right from the World Cup of 2003. I admired his skills and his unique, brave approach in batting even in extreme pressure situations, and much desired that there were batsmen or even all-around players like him. However, there have existed very few like him, very few, with Yuvraj being one of them, I would say.

Muralitharan, Shoaib, Waqar, Wasim, all have been on the receiving end of the best of him. About how many batsmen can you really say that?

1. It was a country road with no lighting and variable curves due to the cheap original construction.

2. The land was fairly saturated after weeks of rain.

3. It was late at night.

So it was a tragic car accident.

RIP .

Symonds was a great ODI player, exceptional fielder and powerful batter. Its a shame he didnt play much T20 cricket, the perfect player for this format.

Another tragic sad moment for Aus cricket.

Back