[VIDEOS] Is Shoaib Malik suited for a coaching role?

Is Shoaib Malik suited for a coaching role?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As Shoaib Malik takes on his first assignment as a mentor for the Stallions in the Champions One-Day Cup 2024, it's hard not to wonder if he's suited for a coaching role with the Pakistan team. With his playing career coming to an end with the Pakistan national team, Malik's transition to coaching seems like a natural next step.

Technically, Shoaib Malik is an experienced player - an all-rounder with a deep understanding of the game. His experience and skillset make him an ideal candidate to guide young players. He is known for his rigorous training regime, which enabled him to play at the top level well into his 30s. This fitness culture can be instilled in the team, enhancing their overall performance.

Malik's expertise as an all-rounder is another strength he can bring to the table. Having excelled in both batting and bowling, he can offer valuable guidance to players aspiring to be all-rounders. Also, his experience as a captain and player has honed his strategic thinking, benefiting the team's gameplay.

It's worth noting here that he has limited experience in red-ball cricket, having focused more on T20 cricket in the latter phase of his career. This could be a drawback, potentially impacting his ability to handle a coaching role for red-ball cricket.

Now, let's analyze his first assignment as mentor for the Stallions. Malik's hands-on approach and willingness to share his expertise are evident in his coaching style which i observed in video above. He's been seen working closely with the young players, offering individualized guidance and encouragement. This approach can help build trust and foster a positive team environment.

If he can also do some professional coaching programs to complement his experience he could be a good coach. He can start with domestic coaching and then move on to higher options.

No he isn't, however he has alot of respect from the dugout and almost no junior or even senior has a bad thing to say about him.

All negative things about malik come from outside cricket such as the 3 wives debacle but cricket wise he's form, hard work and fitness is an inspiration even if skill wise he was a medicore cricketer.

He should defo be given some sort of mentor role. If pcb can give free rides to wahab riaz for the world cup, they can give free rides to him as malik actually understands the dugout and alot of things can be emulated.

Maybe invent a fitness coach and have malik lead. The boys defo need to go on a diet

He still looks so fit, incredible. I know he's officially listed as 42, but I wonder if he is older (remember Swann laughing once saying no way Malik could be that age as Swann said Malik was 19 when he was 19). Though he doesn't look it, or even 42, I think he looks younger, I've even seen some mid/late 20 year olds who look older.

I think he could become a very good coach. Still maintain I think Malik underperformed as a cricketer, I think if the whole fallout from domestic captaincy didn't happen he could have gone down one of our best LOI batsmen ever. Was a shame really, just dropped off form after that.

Maybe this mentor thing is a good thing. If I was a pakistani player in Malik's squad, and I saw Malik looking like that past 40, I'd be ashamed to be even slightly unfit.

He is only trained in dressing room rifts toxicity groupings.. god knows how many games Pak lost because of his politics.

How can we judge when he hasn't begun his coaching career yet? Lets give him some time.

I think he’d be a good coach. We’ve heard from players on many occasions giving credit to Malik for whatever advice/tips he’s shared.

He can help our players in many ways:- Fielding, Fitness, Diet, How to play spin etc.

Hopefully he does well with the Stallions.

Basit Ali speaking on his Youtube Channel:

“Those people who cannot think about the country, should not be appointed. Those who have admitted that they deliberately lost a match, should not be the mentor. If you want evidence, I will give it. Ramiz Raja Saheb interviewed Shoaib Malik. What did he say?”

“The only regret I have for Babar Azam is that everyone became captain but Shoaib Malik did not make him the captain and went for Haris instead. From Babar Azam’s pocket, you can pick out 10s of Haris’.”

“That is such a big insult to him. Babar is also a coward. He should have done it like Umar Akmal or Ahmed Shehzad refused to play.”

Basit Ali speaking on his Youtube Channel:

“Those people who cannot think about the country, should not be appointed. Those who have admitted that they deliberately lost a match, should not be the mentor. If you want evidence, I will give it. Ramiz Raja Saheb interviewed Shoaib Malik. What did he say?”

“The only regret I have for Babar Azam is that everyone became captain but Shoaib Malik did not make him the captain and went for Haris instead. From Babar Azam’s pocket, you can pick out 10s of Haris’.”

“That is such a big insult to him. Babar is also a coward. He should have done it like Umar Akmal or Ahmed Shehzad refused to play.”

A few of these stories connected with Malik in the past

A few of these stories connected with Malik in the past

Kuch to ha.

if9oWK4.png

I think he would be fantastic in some kind of senior position with the PCB. Whether it’s coaching I don’t know because that requires courses and training at junior level first but I think he has so much experience it should be utilised. He’s played for the national team since about 2000. He’s played in almost every position in every format and played around the world in tours and in leagues. He’s been captain and he’s deposed captains and coaches. He’s fit and articulate in both English and Urdu. I think there should be a fast track into coaching and managerial courses where people like Malik, Hafeez, wahab etc can learn to operate to international standards.

Good to see that Shoaib Malik has had a positive impact on Mohammad Haris. He's spending time at the crease, avoiding immature or rash shots, and taking responsibility to take the innings deep. When opportunities arise, he's going big, and when not, he's showing restraint by not taking singles unnecessarily. He's shown some great signs so far.

Good to see that Shoaib Malik has had a positive impact on Mohammad Haris. He's spending time at the crease, avoiding immature or rash shots, and taking responsibility to take the innings deep. When opportunities arise, he's going big, and when not, he's showing restraint by not taking singles unnecessarily. He's shown some great signs so far.
lets see for how long he can play this way as i am still convinced he is just a latha player who only knows how to slog the ball.

I think he could have a positive impact.

He is one of a very rare breed of Pakistani player who prioritises fitness, and that can rub off on others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haris is a Tulla player who likes to slog and slog. If shoaib Malik can somehow train him to stay longer on the crease and choose the deliveries that he should hit, then we have a great option for lower middle-order.

Shoaib Malik's strategy of appointing Mohammad Haris as captain and batting him in the lower middle order is not yielding desired results, as Haris lacks the temperament for the longer format, evident in today's collapse after Babar's dismissal, where no other batter could survive.

Pak should get out of this appointing former players as coaches mentality. They have no experience coaching whatsoever and have their own agendas. Just get a competent foreign coach and foreign back up support staff who have no local agenda and start with a clean slate.

He should be the next coach of the Team India women’s team, he already has experience

Last edited by a moderator:
He is certainly someone who hasn’t made any astonishingly stupid comments in the public realm. That puts him ahead of most if not all former cricketers. He’s also someone who groomed himself and his image over the years from Sialkoti paindoo to a well put together athlete who can communicate and also has some caché as a public figure. As a coach, not sure but he can’t be worse than Misbah or Waqar.

Don't think he is well respected among current players, will be a controversial figure , not suited for any active role in Pakistan cricket, not now . He himself was a bits and pieces player , can't inspire any young cricketer.

If people are looking at how stallions are playing and then assuming that Shoaib Malik is doing any wonders then we are mistaken here.

Shoaib Malik is still an active player. Until he takes retirement and has some experience in coaching and has some courses done in this field, I will suggest we should keep him way from the national team.

This is National team, not a lab where we can do experiments everyday.

If people are looking at how stallions are playing and then assuming that Shoaib Malik is doing any wonders then we are mistaken here.

Shoaib Malik is still an active player. Until he takes retirement and has some experience in coaching and has some courses done in this field, I will suggest we should keep him way from the national team.

This is National team, not a lab where we can do experiments everyday.
Zimdabad buddy, this is a national team and a professional unit.

The professionalism of PCB and team Pakistan radiates towards me.

Back