[VIDEOS] Mitchell Marsh : Discussion Thread

Carey is the culprit, he knows he's not making the catch at that distance.

Whether you have keeping gloves or not is irrelevant given the circumstances, still runs at Marsh with full speed.

Mitch Marsh is one of the fantastic fielder. Him not even remotely touching the ball clearly showed how Carey appearing in his field of vision distracted him.

Very unfortunate dismissal for Mitchell Marsh after scoring a fifty under pressure

1697468193565.png

Absolute stupidity to get run out like this. He was playing well.

He’s not one of the best but he’s certainly one of the most dangerous.

two back to back 50's for Mitch. The makeshift opener is looking good and hasn't given us many chances

1697794806087.png

Happy birthday to Mitchell Marsh, the Australian all-rounder and T20 captain who turns 32 today

1697797279873.png

Australia’s all-rounder Mitch Marsh has left the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup and returned home due to personal reasons. His return is uncertain, adding to the team’s challenges after losing Glenn Maxwell to a concussion. Possible replacements include Alex Carey, Sean Abbott, Marcus Stoinis, and Cameron Green.

ICC

Will praise him if he bats like this against a top side like India. As of now a minnow basher (includes Pakistani bowling in this WC)

Mitchell Marsh is firm on continuing with his belligerent style of batting as Australia host Pakistan for a three-match Test series.

Mitchell Marsh has experienced a remarkable run of form in recent years. After staging a comeback in the T20I team, the Aussie all-rounder soon became an indispensable part of the ODI setup and is now setting his sights on earning a spot in the Test team.

Marsh enjoyed a memorable ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 campaign that ended with Australia lifting the trophy for the record sixth time. He aggregated 441 runs in 10 matches at a strike rate of 107.56, which also included a blazing 177* against Bangladesh -- his highest ODI score.

Before the World Cup, Marsh showcased his attacking red-ball approach with a run-a-ball 118 in the Headingley Test during the Ashes.

Australia are now gearing up to host Pakistan in a three-match series as a part of the World Test Championship. While the squad is yet to be finalized, Mitchell Marsh emphasized that if selected, he'll maintain the aggressive cricket style that marked his successful comeback.

"The way I'm going to bat won't change," Mitch Marsh said. "I feel like I've found my most consistent method over the last couple of years and that's allowed me to really enjoy my cricket."

Marsh acknowledged competition for a spot in the XI, notably with Cameron Green vying for the all-rounder position. However, the selection challenge doesn't trouble Marsh, as the 32-year-old is focused on enjoying his cricket.

"I'm past battling, I'm here to enjoy my cricket and have fun," Marsh added. "I absolutely love playing for Australia.

"I worked really hard to get another opportunity during the Ashes and my attitude is 'what will be, will be', so I've done everything I can."

Green had a lean Ashes series where he scored only 103 runs and picked up five wickets in three matches. He played as many games in the World Cup as well, returning 63 runs and no wickets.

The youngster seems committed to winning his place back in Australia's side and will feature in Western Australia's Sheffield Shield match against Queensland as well as Australia's Prime Minister's XI for a four-day game against Pakistan.

Even in the midst of intense competition for spots in the team, Marsh was effusive in his admiration for Green. He expressed the desire to play together again, as they did during the drawn Ashes Test in Manchester earlier this year.

"He's a special talent," Marsh noted. "We've got a great relationship. We're super close on and off the field.

"I always joke that there's probably not a lot I can teach him on the cricket field, but he knows I'm always there for him and hopefully we can play a lot of cricket together."

Australia's three-match series against Pakistan begins in Perth on 14 December, followed by Boxing Day action in Melbourne. The final Test is scheduled for the New Year at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 3 January.

Source: ICC

Mitch marsh is a hilarious character. First he played great mind game with Indians remember his eye blink signal to kohli in wc final which I bet kohli couldn't fathom at all. And then later that night he put the indians coveted trophy under his feet. A savage troller indeed.

Mitchell Marsh completed his 50 today against Pakistan in the first test at Perth in a quick time. FLurry of boundaries from him as he has already hit 10 4's in his score of 54 ATM. Wonderful batting from him.

Playing with a strike rate of almost 90 and still not finished yet. Marsh is looking dangerous and will score runs quickly as well. Some freebies are being offered to him as well. easy pickings

What Pakistan would do to have an all-rounder like this!

Yesterday he slammed a quickfire 90 runs and today he came to the party with the ball and got the prized wicket of Babar azam for 21 runs.

Marsh leading the chart with his seam and swing. Pakistan bowlers were very poor to not use the conditions well.

1702698917404.png

Lucky day for Marsh, given out by the umpire on two consecutive deliveries and escaped through reviews both the times.

1703634071315.png

Mitchell Marsh to Masood, 2 runs, 125.6kph...

Is this his normal speed or everyone bowling slow?

How many times this Marsh guy is going to survive on a review? Luck is not only on his side. Luck is in his pockets now.

1703735618122.png

He is so dominating. taking a lof of pressure off his partner. Another reason why dropping him was crutial. He has also been in great form.

5v769jd.png

Marsh falls short again. Gone in the Nervous 90s for the 2nd time in 2 tests now. Hamza with a superb delivery but all the credit goes to Salman here. What a beautiful catch from him in the slips.

He has been so dominating, only one Pak in the top run's list which is quite embarrasing.

uj74oDg.png

This guy is too lucky. Saved on multiple occasions due to review and was also given some chances in the field due to dropped catches.

1704425805285.png

Yet another 50 for Marsh in this series. This is 4th fifty of this series against Pakistan. Got some chances in the field and cashed on them. He has been in some form.

Marsh was showing some aggression today against the Windies bowling in the 2nd test match but he ends up losing his wicket. Gone for 21 off 20 balls. Australia slips further down as 5 down now.

Aussie coach nominates Marsh as T20 World Cup skipper

Having held the role unofficially since Aaron Finch’s retirement, Mitch Marsh has been backed to take over ahead of the upcoming global event

Australia's men's team coach Andrew McDonald has strongly endorsed Mitchell Marsh as Australia's captain at upcoming men's T20 World Cup in the Caribbean and USA in June.

Marsh has held the leadership role on an unofficial basis since previous skipper Aaron Finch retired in the wake of the previous T20 World Cup staged in Australia in late 2022.

On the occasions Marsh has been rested from the 20-over team, now that he has won back his Test berth and is a three-format player, veteran keeper-batter Matthew Wade has filled the breach while Test and ODI skipper Pat Cummins also remained an option.

But with no T20 internationals scheduled before Australia kicks off their Cup campaign against Oman at Barbados on June 6, McDonald will recommend to the Cricket Australia board the 32-year-old be handed the reins on a formal basis.

"I think all roads will lead to Mitch, so just got to get that ticked off in certain areas," said McDonald who – with chair George Bailey and Tony Dodemaide – forms the selection panel that will advise CA of their preferred choice.

"We're happy and comfortable with the way he's been able to operate with that T20 team.

"We think he's the leader for the World Cup, and I think that will just be a matter of due course."

Marsh's road to redemption as an international player, which culminated in his popular win as Allan Border Medallist at the recent Australian Cricket Awards, began in the 20-over game when he led his team to the 2021 World Cup trophy.

He was player of the match in the final against New Zealand at Dubai, belting an unbeaten 77 from 50 balls as Australia chased down the Black Caps' victory target of 173 with more than an over to spare.

His continued evolution as an all-format player was highlighted in the most recent Test win against NZ yesterday, where he again anchored Australia's last-innings pursuit scoring 80 (from 102 balls) in a pivotal sixth-wicket partnership with Alex Carey who finished 98no.

The value of a player with Marsh's all-round skill set has also led McDonald and his fellow selectors to re-examine the manner in which all-format batters are managed throughout an increasingly congested international playing schedule.

McDonald cited the example of top-order batter Travis Head who won back his Australia T20 place six months ago after an absence of almost five years due to his heroic performances in the Test and ODI line-ups.

But having been rushed back into the team midway through last year's ODI World Cup in India – after suffering a fractured hand in the lead-up to the tournament – and starring in Australia's triumph over host nation India in the final, Head's subsequent returns in all three formats have been patchy.

He swung at everything in the three-match T20I series that preceded the Tests in NZ where he finished as leading run-scorer, but failed to reach 30 in the four red-ball outings that followed.

Caught at point driving languidly at a wide ball from Tim Southee in yesterday morning's second over, which left Australia 5-80 chasing 279, Head dragged himself slowly from the field and appeared mentally and physically fatigued despite having a break immediately after the home Test summer.

McDonald claimed management of players who transition from format to format remains a case-by-case program depending each individual's needs, but conceded Head appeared to be feeling the strain of a hefty workload over the previous 18 months.

"There's a lot of stresses," McDonald said of the star batter who was player of the match in Australia's World Test Championship Final and ODI World Cup Final wins.

"He was coming off a significant injury through that World Cup, and it takes a lot out of you mentally and physically.

"There's no doubt we can learn some lessons on the back of Trav's entry into all three formats and how to give him a bit of rest in the Australian summer.

"So there's some balance there, and I think we do it really well with bowlers where it makes a lot of sense because it's more the physical element that we try to mitigate against some injuries and make sure they're fresh at the right times.

"But I think it's definitely a conversation for batters and how much they can take on over a period of time."

McDonald also flagged that, in order to best prepare for next summer's five-Test campaign against India to whom Australia have lost their past four Border-Gavaskar Trophy battles, some all-format players might prioritise Marsh Sheffield Shield cricket ahead of limited-overs internationals.

The strategy worked with allrounder Cameron Green who was overlooked for the T20I series against NZ and instead turned out for Western Australia and scored a century that set him up for his match-winning 174no in the opening Test against the Black Caps at Wellington.

Following the upcoming T20 World Cup in June, the Australia men's team's only commitments are a series of white-ball fixtures in the UK in September before a home limited-overs campaign against Pakistan in November that immediately precedes the Tests against India.

As such, McDonald has foreshadowed the possibility of all-format batters such as Steve Smith potentially opting for Test preparation in the Shield competition rather than playing white-ball cricket where the next global tournament will be the ICC Champions Trophy scheduled for Pakistan in early 2025.

"We've got England in September, and then October becomes a bit of a space for some players to potentially play some Shield cricket, then we've got Pakistan in an ODI series," McDonald said.

"There's always the challenge of different formats, and Steve (Smith) is obviously a pivotal part of our white-ball set-up, so we've got to juggle that.

"We've had the scope to do that with Cameron Green, and we'll position them individually the best we can leading into the India Tests."

Marsh is a god choice to be a skipper. He is in good form himself and is pretty aggressive to be the t20 captain.

Key Australia all-rounder set to miss the remainder of IPL due to injury

Mitchell Marsh will miss the remainder of the Delhi Capitals campaign due to a hamstring injury, but franchise head coach Ricky Ponting expects him to be fit in time for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Marsh played four games for Delhi Capitals in this season, scoring 61 runs and picking one wicket for his team.

He picked up a hamstring injury early in April, and after missing a couple of matches for his franchise flew back home to Perth on April 14 to manage his recovery.

Marsh's fitness was a key concern for his franchise as well as Australia, with him expected to lead the side at the upcoming ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Marsh has 1432 runs at an average of 34.09 and a strike rate of 135.34, with nine half-centuries to his name in T20Is. Additionally, he also has 17 wickets at an average of 22.76 for Australia in this format.

He was a key component in Australia's maiden Men's T20 World Cup win in 2021, scoring 185 runs at an average of 61.66 and a strike rate of 146.82, contributing with a match-winning 77* in the final against New Zealand.

Delhi Capitals head coach Ponting was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo that the all-rounder's recovery had taken longer than expected.

"I don't think he'll be coming back. There's a certain cut-off point with replacement players," Ponting said. "Cricket Australia were keen to have him at home to start his recovery process and we sent him back as soon as we could.

"They've been managing his rehab for a couple of weeks now. I spoke to him the other day and it seems it's taken a little longer than he first thought to get over it."

Ponting further added that he expected Marsh to be fit in time for the global mega event.

"I don't think the T20 World Cup would be an issue," Ponting stressed.

Australia are in Group B of the T20 World Cup, along with England, Namibia, Oman and Scotland. They begin their campaign against Oman on 6 June in Bridgetown.

ICC

Mitchell Marsh will be the captain of Australia for the upcoming T20 WOrld Cup as the board as announced the squad as well with Marsh as captain.

Good choice to keep Marsh as captain. He has been brilliant recently.

Aussie star expected to be fit for T20 World Cup despite ‘slower’ progress

Australia head coach Andrew McDonald gave the latest fitness update on their captain ahead of the T20 World Cup.

Mitchell Marsh is on track to be fit in time for Australia’s first game in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 on 5 June against Oman despite his being a little behind on his recovery timeline.

Marsh sustained a hamstring injury during his stint with the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League and had to fly back home for rehabilitation after pulling out of the tournament.

All the Australian World Cup squad members who are not a part of the IPL have started their preparations in a training camp at the National Cricket Centre to get in the groove for the T20 World Cup and Marsh was seen hitting the nets with the bat.

Coach Andrew McDonald was pleased to see the Aussie T20I skipper have a hit with the bat but noted he's a couple of weeks away from bowling.

"He's progressing well. Probably a little slower than expected," McDonald said. "But we've got plenty of time now that he has been ruled out the IPL.

"(Our) first game is just short of a month away now. So ample time for him to get ready.

"You probably won't see him bowl in the next couple of weeks here. It'll probably happen the week before we leave. And then he'll be able to ramp that up when we're over there.

"We'll be able to cherry-pick the moments during the tournament where he'll be useful with the ball, (and) we've got some all-round depth in the squad, which gives us good coverage anyway."

Although Marsh is expected to be fit for the T20 World Cup and McDonald emphasising he would not be rested, Australia have no shortage of captaincy options should the need arise.

World Test Championship and World Cup-winning captain Pat Cummins is a part of the T20 World Cup squad as is Matthew Wade, who has captained Australia on several occasions leading into the tournament. Nathan Ellis, Glenn Maxwell, Travis Head and Adam Zampa all add to the leadership options having captained their respective Big Bash teams.

"We've got ample depth in the leadership space there with Matthew Wade, who's led before when Mitch hasn't been available. And obviously, Pat Cummins has some leadership qualities," McDonald added.

Australia are placed in Group B of the T20 World Cup alongside arch-rivals England, Namibia, Oman and Scotland.

ICC

Back