[VIDEOS] Rory Burns - England batsman - Performance Watch

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
he way Gary Player tells it, it goes like this. He was practising his bunker game somewhere in Texas when “this good old boy with a big hat stopped to watch”. Player hit his next shot into the hole and the stranger said to him, “You got 50 bucks if you get the next one in.” Player did, so the Texan said he double it if he made three in a row. “Boy,” he told Player as he peeled a hundred off his roll of bills a second later. “I’ve never seen anyone so lucky in my life.”

So Player fired back at him, “It’s funny, the harder I practise, the luckier I get.” And that, Player says, “is where the quote originated”.

Rory Burns, eight Tests into his career, has already won himself a reputation as a lucky player, as the Australia players keep telling him. At Edgbaston Tim Paine chose not to review a plumb lbw when Burns was on 21 and he went on to make a century. At Lord’s he was dropped twice off Peter Siddle’s bowling and went on to make 50.

There was one chance on 16, when he steered a short ball straight to Usman Khawaja at gully, and another on 47, when he sliced a fat edge through low to Paine’s left. The point is, as Player says, that luck does not much matter unless you are good enough to do something with it and Burns has, now, in two of his last three innings.

Burns finished up with 53, top score in another underwhelming England innings, and he faced 127 balls, which was almost as many as the rest of England’s top six managed between them. It was not a perfect innings or a pretty one but a gritty one, and that was just what England needed from him in the circumstance.

Even Burns’s nearest and dearest surely would not say he was a handsome batsman. His stance makes him look as if he spent the previous night sleeping in the front seat of a car. But it works for him, and he weathered two superb spells, one from Josh Hazlewood at the Nursery End and another from Pat Cummins coming in from the Pavilion.

Hazlewood opened with six pitilessly accurate overs, five runs, three maidens, two wickets. Cummins followed up, after lunch, with a brutal spell of short, nasty fast bowling. Burns blocked and prodded his way through one, shuffled and swayed his way through the other, although Cummins pinned him twice, once on the chest, then again on the arm. In between Burns picked off the odd loose deliveries Siddle served him and played a couple of self-assured sweeps away for four through midwicket off Nathan Lyon.

In many ways it was modest stuff. There were no swaggering pulls or swingeing drives, just nudges, nurdles and clumps but it gave some badly needed ballast to this England team, whose batting sometimes seems so flighty, so frail, that it might be blown over by the lightest gust of fast bowling.

There is an old story about the time Keith Miller led 12 men on to the field when he was captaining New South Wales. “One of you **** off,” Miller is supposed to have said when he realised his mistake, “and the rest of you scatter.” It sometimes feels as if this England team put a similar amount of planning into their batting strategy.

They seems to work on the principle that, if they just pack enough talented stroke-makers into the team, one of them is bound to do the trick. It is the superhero theory of Test match batting. They are always waiting for someone to come to the rescue. That attitude works for them in the one-day game, where they are always willing to spend wickets for runs, but it is no way to play Test cricket, because it usually ends up with everyone at sixes and sevens. Which fits, because sixes and sevens is exactly what they are. They have at least four players in this team who would all be best off batting in one of those two positions. Five, if you include Jason Roy, who bats lower down in the county championship for Surrey.

Surrey’s director of cricket, Alec Stewart, keeps saying Roy ought be in the Test team too, but there is not much room left down there. In Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow and Chris Woakes, England have four fine lower middle-order batsmen already. Buttler, who came in at five, is trying his best to do an impression of a man who knows how to play defensively but it is not too convincing. His average goes up by eight runs when he moves down from No 5 to No 6. So does Stokes’, while Bairstow’s increases by 12.

Burns, then, is a tortoise among hares. In the end it took an astonishing bit of fielding to dismiss him. Cummins banged in another short ball and Burns pushed it away to short-leg, where the ball actually bounced off Cameron Bancroft’s palm as he lunged down for it. He managed to reach out his hand and catch the rebound as he fell to the ground. It was a miraculous catch. It might even have been called an unlucky way to get out.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...his-blessings-amid-england-fragility-at-lords

4th 50 in Tests for Burns! A real fighter and a good addition to England.

He can be the opener England were trying to find from long time after Cook.

ECB release

The ECB has today confirmed the award of Central Contracts for men's Test and White Ball cricket.

Selectors have awarded 10 Test contracts and 12 White Ball contracts.

Sussex fast bowler Jofra Archer receives a Test and a White Ball contract for the first time after his successful debut international season.

Surrey opening batsman Rory Burns is awarded a Test contract after becoming the leading top order runscorer in the Specsavers Ashes series.

Last edited:
He got 390 runs in ten completed innings against a very good fast attack. Played, Mr Burns.

1000 Test runs for Rory Burns!

Glaring technical fault in his batting.

Let's see if the Pakistan think-tank can spot it.

Get round the wicket to him.

Falls over to the off-side and an ideal candidate for lbw.

Rory Burns hopes he can do his bit to help Stuart Broad complete the “ridiculous achievement” of 500 Test wickets as England push for victory in their series decider against the West Indies.

Broad enjoyed the latest in a long line of memorable days in England whites, moving his side into a commanding position at Emirates Old Trafford with combined figures of six for 22 on the third day to take his career tally to 499.

Burns also played his part, stretching the home team’s lead to 398 with a knock of 90 in the second innings as Joe Root declared in time for Broad to leave the Windies in trouble at 10 for two.

A bad weather forecast looks likely to delay the victory push on Monday but Broad requires only one ball to become the seventh bowler in history to reach a magnificent milestone and the fourth seamer after team-mate James Anderson, Glenn McGrath and Courtney Walsh.

Burns routinely occupies a catching position at gully and will be on red alert when the 34-year-old resumes the hunt.

“It’s a pretty ridiculous achievement to get to 500. Hopefully we can keep grabbing them for him,” said Burns.

“I’ll be standing at gully and hopefully I’m going to catch it if he gets a nick. It’s a nice place to be when his tail is up and he’s bowling like this. You feel every ball is going to come to you. We’ll be standing there waiting to catch it.”

Burns’ primary role in the side is to weigh in with runs and he has done exactly that in this third Test, following up his day one knock of 57 by going close to a third England hundred.

With Root keen to get the Windies back in before stumps, he was in a race against time at the end and fell attempting to hurry to the three figures.

“It was nice to play some different shots, usually I reserve a few of them for Twenty20 practice,” he said.

“It felt good to open up a little bit. I think Joe was going to give me another over to try and get there but unfortunately I missed out trying to hit the fence. It was good to set up the team in a good position though, that was the most important thing.”

Burns and Dom Sibley had earlier put on 114 for the first wicket, the first century at home between England openers since Sir Alastair Cook and Alex Hales in 2016.

The pair appear to have made the troublesome top-order slot their own and are arguably the most settled pairing since Cook and another knight, Sir Andrew Strauss, last played together.

“Me and Sibbers have a good relationship away from cricket, we know each other really well from our time together at Surrey,” he said.

“This is another step up but it’s about helping each other where you can. He has adapted really well to Test cricket, which is pleasing, and for us to push on as a partnership and get stats like that is really good.”

West Indies head coach Phil Simmons knows his side face an uphill task to save the game and retain the Wisden Trophy and has called on his remaining batsmen to stand up and be counted.

“We haven’t had any centuries in the series so I’m always going to be putting pressure on them to get one,” he said.

“The wicket still looks good, there are two days left to bat and someone needs to get themselves a big hundred. There is plenty of time in the game so we need to be more determined to get big scores.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/rory-burns-hails-stuart-broad-191144454.html

Just about held his own but couldnt last against Abbas.

Seems like a bit of a send off for him from Pakistan

8af250c1-8359-4dcf-b15e-4c3d2c7ea944.jpg

Last edited:
What instigated this send off? I missed it it seems :afridi

Not having that great series - doesnt look at ease.

4, 10 in Manchester, duck in Southampton...

Last edited:
He has been a failure. Not surprising considering how poor his current technique is.

Yet another failure for Burns this series - he walks off the field 6 (13), falling victim once again to Shaheen.

England Test opener Rory Burns was given a talking by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) officials after the southpaw engaged in a Twitter argument with women's team left-arm spinner Alex Hartley.

“Team management here in India have spoken with Rory," an ECB spokesperson confirmed to the media.

Following the men's team 10-wicket loss to India in the third Test in Ahmedabad on Thursday, Hartley had tweeted it was nice of the men's team to finish proceedings before the women's team played against New Zealand.

Burns, clearly unamused by Hartley's tweet, replied back, saying, “Very disappointing attitude considering all the ‘boys’ do to support the Women’s game”. The tweet, however, was deleted later.

Hartley posted another tweet on Friday, clarifying that her earlier tweet was not taken the right way.

Men's team head coach Chris Silverwood chose not to be drawn into the issue.

“It’s not for me to judge on that one. That will be dealt with back in England, obviously. For me, I don’t worry about things like that.

“I’ve got more on my plate this end to worry about. That’s what I’ll be encouraging the boys to do as well: keep their head in what’s happening here." he said.

The fourth and final Test of the series begins in Ahmedabad on Thursday.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...twitter-spat-alex-hartley/article33954191.ece

Has reached his ninth half-century in 24 Tests off 90 balls - playing well against NZ.

A third Test hundred for Burns, a first at Lord's and a place on the honours board - just reward for such a gutsy knock!

He got a fair few chances, should have certainly been out before a century, but nevertheless he's batted very well

This has been a very gritty and old-fashioned knock from Rory Burns. Fighting hard, and just about surviving, amidst an onslaught of fast bowling — and playing the occasional lovely cricket shot. Has reminded me a bit of a Nasser Hussain innings. No wonder the man himself has clearly enjoyed it on commentary.

Rory Burns' last seven first-class innings:

104*
132 (today)

Burns seems to be on track for another century in consecutive Tests

Burns has looked in good touch today, seems that pairing him up with a ultra-sedate batsman such as Sibley was somewhat counterproductive as it put a lot of pressure on him to score quickly.

He's been composed and relaxed with Hameed at the other end, however, some of that confidence is bound to be down to the low score India put up.

Falls to Mitchell Starc again:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/jmamcr" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Horrible technique on this guy. I wonder how he long he can survive at international level with that technique.

I said this, as soon as I saw his technique & batting stance, I knew he wouldn't work in test cricket. Specially after watching how Shaheen squared him up often.

Even shan masood is better than this guy and scored half century in Australia and 2 in South africa

Rory Burns has been advised to think about making changes to his unorthodox technique by former England captain Sir Alastair Cook after another chastening outing for the Surrey opener in the Ashes.

England face an uphill battle in the second Test in Adelaide after closing on 17-2 in response to Australia's 473-9 declared, Burns the first to go after edging Mitchell Starc into the slip cordon in the third over.

His idiosyncratic batting style has come under the microscope after a mixed bag this year, with one ton and three fifties but also six ducks in 10 Tests, and Cook believes Burns needs to do something to become more reliable.

"You're always told in international cricket 'do what you do in county cricket, you don't change how you play, you'd be mad to change it straightaway'," said Cook on BT Sport.

"It's probably getting to a stage now where he'll have to sit down and go 'this is what I've got with my technique, if I want to play even longer for England and play 60, 70, 80 Test matches for England, what do I need to improve?'

"This does work for Rory Burns on occasion but to be more consistent early on in his innings, I think he needs to really think about how he gets that bat playing coming down straighter. It's in Burns' hands, still. If he scores a hundred in the second innings he then gets to play some more games."

Cook, England's all-time leading Test run-scorer, feels Burns gets his hands too far away from his chest, which leaves him out of position against a bowler like Starc. Burns has already fallen twice to Starc and Cook fears the match-up will become increasingly one-sided unless he alters something.

"The perfect Mitchell Starc angle, to hit that ball perfectly with it coming away and his bat coming across, your timing has to be absolutely spot on," added Cook, who acknowledged there are perils of making technical tweaks mid-series.

Assistant coach Graham Thorpe stands by England's team selection despite a difficult opening day for the tourists in the second Ashes Test.

"If it's not spot on, the face of your bat is slightly closed as you come to hit it. It's a technique he now has to decide what he's going to do because Starc for the next five Test matches if he stays fit, it's almost the perfect combination against him.

"The problem is tinkering with your technique in the middle of a massive series, you're then batting in a game maybe thinking about technique is not what you want to be doing. The only thing you want to be doing is committing or watching the ball as it's coming down. You've got to keep your mind as clear as you can."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...change-batting-technique-by-sir-alastair-cook

He has far too many holes against all kinds of bowling. They might as well play Jason Roy lol Atleast he can fluke a quick 50 every now and then.

His head is pointing somewhere, shoulders somewhere else, feet all over the place and the bat comes down at random angles.

He wont succeed for long with that technique.

He is a fine player with a big heart, but his technique is exactly the type of technique you don't want against a bowler like Starc.

Yet another ordinary player. Would rather have had Vince who could come off and win a game rather than the guaranteed ordinariness of Burns.

But Roots defensive mindset holds England back. Same story in the spin department - not considering Parkinson (their only attacking spin option) is unforgivable

Even in a poor batting lineup Burns is still managing to stand out as a weak link & a walking wicket. Can see him being replaced by Zak Crawley in Test 3.

If burns shows consistency with his batting then he's the natural choice to replace Root as the next captain.

He is a fine player with a big heart, but his technique is exactly the type of technique you don't want against a bowler like Starc.

He's an awful opener. Would rank him as one of the worst England has ever had, along with Dom Sibley.

I don't mind players with unusual techniques, it's what works for you that counts.

Chanderpaul, Fawad etc have made it work, but with Burns there are some basic technical issues in addition to his unusual technique that he needs to address.

The better bowlers work you out and that's what has happened.

Burns is a gritty character and I quite like him, but he has been worked out by the Australian bowlers completely.

In the 1st innings it was quite embarrassing to see Mitchell Starc celebrate so early in his follow through to Rory Burns, when the ball started to swing away to the slip cordon but also before it had even reached Rory’s bat.

The dismissal had been pre-planned and Starc knew that he only needed to get that one ball in the right area & he would have him straight away.

30 tests for an average of 30 really tells the story. Even if he fixes some of his issues at this age he isn't going to unlock any 50+ avg purple patch.
Don't think he'll play for Eng after this series

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rory Burns with a wonderful century against Somerset &#55357;&#56495; <br><br>Would you recall him into the Test side? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LVCountyChamp?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LVCountyChamp</a> <a href="https://t.co/W80Puc5FaU">pic.twitter.com/W80Puc5FaU</a></p>— LV= Insurance County Championship (@CountyChamp) <a href="https://twitter.com/CountyChamp/status/1536411959238791170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In terms of Rory Burns plotting a return to the England side —

Alex Lees has cemented his place for now with the improvements in his style of play. (his average will steadily increase over time & will take care of itself.)

There is potentially a way back for Rory depending on what happens with Zak Crawley.

I’ve always liked Rory, he is a brawler with good mental strength and resilience. He he is capable of scoring a heap of Test match runs if he tweaks some technical aspects.

He’s still hopping about like a flea on a griddle. The great players all have simple trigger movements.

Creepy is a walking wicket at present though, the experiment as opener has failed, and with His Holiness now scoring at #3 there is nowhere for him to go.

He’s still hopping about like a flea on a griddle. The great players all have simple trigger movements.

Creepy is a walking wicket at present though, the experiment as opener has failed, and with His Holiness now scoring at #3 there is nowhere for him to go.

Could be time for Ben Compton.

About time we had a Compton family member again. If he’s half as good as Dennis was for England, that will be a big help.

I was not keen previously and was really wanting to back Crawley, alongside Lees, but I would now welcome Compton coming in.

Two things for me have changed quite recently:

• Crawley’s undeniably atrocious form and lack of confidence that even I can’t excuse on his behalf any longer.
• Lees rapidly finding his feet as a Test player.

Compton plays with a low SR (strikes at 43 in first class cricket) and I was worried that the old scratchy Lees and a turgid Compton would get our innings off to an ugly and unsuccessful start.

However with Lees now playing much more positively and this working out well for him, we can safely accommodate a less aggressive opener alongside him.

Crawley is for the chop imminently I feel, and when he does come back (because he is very talented and he will) I think it should be in the middle order. He is clearly not an opener.

Compton plays with a low SR (strikes at 43 in first class cricket) and I was worried that the old scratchy Lees and a turgid Compton would get our innings off to an ugly and unsuccessful start.

However with Lees now playing much more positively and this working out well for him, we can safely accommodate a less aggressive opener alongside him.

Convention would suggest we need a grinder in amongst the thunderbats.

There will come a time when counterattack from 40-3 will lead to collapse and somebody will have to dig in.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rory Burns in the groove for Surrey with a fine &#55357;&#56495;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LVCountyChamp?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LVCountyChamp</a> <a href="https://t.co/BvR1d7D0qo">pic.twitter.com/BvR1d7D0qo</a></p>— LV= Insurance County Championship (@CountyChamp) <a href="https://twitter.com/CountyChamp/status/1547512306057216002?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 14, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back