[VIDEOS] "The conditions in Australia make a big difference, which is why it's not easy to take 20 wickets”: Hassan Ali

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Hassan Ali speaking in an interview with CA:

“Australia is a country that offers completely different conditions for cricket compared to other nations. They have bouncy tracks, and they really understand their conditions. Teams from outside often struggle there; not just Pakistan, but most countries that go there seem to struggle, coming from all continents. In my opinion, the conditions in Australia make a big difference, which is why it's not easy to take 20 wickets”

“If we talk about the current scenario, Pat Cummins is their best bowler in Test cricket, not just Test cricket but all three formats. And if we talk about Shaheen, we all know how good a bowler he is. So, there’s a rivalry where Shaheen will try to win for his team, and on the other side, Pat Cummins will try to win for his team. Both are very skillful, they can bowl with a new ball and a semi-new ball as well. So, this could be a great rivalry.”

“The series in Australia has always been tough for Pakistan. It’s tough because the conditions are completely different and the ball bounces a bit more there. But as a professional, you have to play, and you have to play there. However, it will be challenging for the Pakistan team.”

“Usman Khawaja speaks Urdu very well. I have played with him at Islamabad United, and we converse in Urdu. His accent is quite interesting, and he understands all of Urdu; he can speak it, and he knows about Urdu. Obviously, since Usman Bhai Usman Khawaja speaks Urdu, we won’t talk in Urdu in front of him; we will go to the side and talk. We don’t want our planning or strategy to be known to Australia, so we will keep Usman Khawaja a bit distant.”

Last edited:
When the condition ever suits for the bowlers like Hasan, Rauf...

Just lol at Pakistani players already giving excuses for their expected failure in the upcoming Test Tour to Australia..not even giving false hopes to the fans or showing fake confidence..

Does not he know india won multiple times and took 20 wickets more than Australia. It seems he just wants to wash all the hopes with our any concern.

Cats n Hell chance of this attack taking any wickets plus I think this will be the biggest hammering we will ever get. Few years ago I was optimistic that we will do well yet we were hammered then never mind now.

Our problem is that apart from Shaheen everyone else is a midget compared to the Australian bowlers. We needed someone like Shahnawaz or Ihsanullah (rehab) that could extract more bounce with their height.

Our problem is that apart from Shaheen everyone else is a midget compared to the Australian bowlers. We needed someone like Shahnawaz or Ihsanullah (rehab) that could extract more bounce with their height.
You can pick wickets if you have skills both Bumrah and shami are below yet have success there

That is right. But you don't need to be tall to do well. Philander, steyn bumrah siraj although not midgets and are around 5'10 to 5'11 which is average height have done well there.

Need bounce, skills and ability to hit consistent lines.

If you can’t take 20 wickets, you better show that your opponents cannot take them either

Why can't all these bowlers expressed such concerns earlier so that selectors can pick others .I don't know how any one will let these guys to speak.No wonder ex players issues such statements.

Hassan Ali was extremely lucky to escape a proper thrashing in the World Cup. He is short and a trundler. He has absolutely nothing in his locker anymore to trouble quality batsmen.

I fear for him in Australia and this series could prove to the end of his career. Wasim Jr. offers more these days and of course the golden boy Naseem would walk into the XI in all formats once he is fit.

It means he has already prepared his mind that the conditions don't suit him as a bowler in Australia, which means not to expect anything from him. :D

Expect Hasan Ali to go for over 100 runs in every innings. He is such an awful bowler.

Hey at least he ain’t being delusional and knows what's up.

I feel bad for him because he’s been finished as a bowler since like 2020, and he would have struggled in Australia even during his purple patch from 2016-19 because of his height. Warner is going to feast on his 128 kph thunderbolts for days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some groundbreaking stuff here. Can we confirm Hasan Ali's statements? Does Australia really have different conditions than other countries?

Some groundbreaking stuff here. Can we confirm Hasan Ali's statements? Does Australia really have different conditions than other countries?
Well.... Australia is in southern hemisphere. So of course it will be like an alien condition for the rest.

Well.... Australia is in southern hemisphere. So of course it will be like an alien condition for the rest.
Yeah I know haha I'm being sarcastic lol. Poking fun at Hasan Ali stating the obvious

What a pathetic guy this Hasan Ali is. If he is unable to secure pakistan 20 wickets, which is his job, then he should leave and retire.

So how come conditions get changed when auatralian bowers come to bowl?

This is just the mindset that is not allowing Pakistani bowlers to dominate in Australia.

you don't need players with this sort of defeatist mentality.

He's been finished a long time and I think it's better pakistan moves on from hassan ali and haris rauf .

Is he saying that there is no one with skills matching likes of Natrajan, Shardul and Washington Sundar?

Posters are being harsh on Hassan here.

What he saying is correct. Conditions in Aus are different and that does make it harder to take 20 wickets for any bowling unit visiting Aus. In the last 20 years in Aus with 15 plus wickets, you have only 2 bowlers averaging below 25. Not often bowling units have taken 20 Aus wickets in Aus.

You really need generational great bowlers to step up and perform in Aus. Even for them it's not easy due to conditions being different.

Aus 20.png

What a pathetic statement by Hasan Ali, for any touring team conditions are difficult but it's the skill of bowlers to conjure and make a game out of it like the current Australian trio spellbound the Pakistan batsman on the flattest of tracks in Karachi to unlock the series

What a pathetic statement by Hasan Ali, for any touring team conditions are difficult but it's the skill of bowlers to conjure and make a game out of it like the current Australian trio spellbound the Pakistan batsman on the flattest of tracks in Karachi to unlock the series
That is the reason why he is not on the priority list of team management.

As a senior bowler he is not confident enough to take on Australian batsmen in their home ground.

Posters are being harsh on Hassan here.

What he saying is correct. Conditions in Aus are different and that does make it harder to take 20 wickets for any bowling unit visiting Aus. In the last 20 years in Aus with 15 plus wickets, you have only 2 bowlers averaging below 25. Not often bowling units have taken 20 Aus wickets in Aus.

You really need generational great bowlers to step up and perform in Aus. Even for them it's not easy due to conditions being different.

View attachment 140522

Yeah you need generational talents like Wagner, Tremlet and Dj Bravo Champion :djb

If you do have quality bowling then the conditions does not matter. A lame excuse by Hasan Ali

Add Bresnan too. Too many exceptions :djb

Only two bowlers averaged below 25 in the last 10 years. That should tell how hard it is to bowl well in Aus for visiting bowlers.

Yes, in two decades you are always going to find few bowlers who do reasonably well.

I think posters are being too harsh on Ali for stating the truth. Aus conditions are too different. Specially for Pakistan which has the lowest bounce.

If you do have quality bowling then the conditions does not matter. A lame excuse by Hasan Ali
Pakistan has lowest bounce and Aus has highest bounce. That does create issues.

Not saying that Pakistan bowling is great one, but it's a big adjustment for Pakistani bowler when they visit Aus. On top of that, I hardly see Pakistan spending time in Aus before series starts.

Pakistan struggled in Aus to bowl well even when Pakistan had good bowling. Reason was lowest to highest bounce transition.

Pakistan has lowest bounce and Aus has highest bounce. That does create issues.

Not saying that Pakistan bowling is great one, but it's a big adjustment for Pakistani bowler when they visit Aus. On top of that, I hardly see Pakistan spending time in Aus before series starts.

Pakistan struggled in Aus to bowl well even when Pakistan had good bowling. Reason was lowest to highest bounce transition.
One reason Pakistani bowlers struggle is they prefer to bowl more fuller lengths like yorkers than back of length. Like Shaheen Afridi always aiming for the inswinging yorkers into the pads. Waqar Younis made the same mistake and struggled to take wickets in Australia

In Australia the fuller length deliveries are useless as bowl stops swinging after 15-20 overs. Better length is top of off stump / 4th stump and hope ball moves a bit of the seam. That's the strategy to get wickets. BUt Pakistani bowlers struggle to make that adjustment

One reason Pakistani bowlers struggle is they prefer to bowl more fuller lengths like yorkers than back of length. Like Shaheen Afridi always aiming for the inswinging yorkers into the pads. Waqar Younis made the same mistake and struggled to take wickets in Australia

In Australia the fuller length deliveries are useless as bowl stops swinging after 15-20 overs. Better length is top of off stump / 4th stump and hope ball moves a bit of the seam. That's the strategy to get wickets. BUt Pakistani bowlers struggle to make that adjustment
Yah, back of length on off stump or 4th stump with slight movement. Just keep doing it and wicket comes in Aus. I have rarely seen Pakistani bowlers doing it in Aus. Whenever some one did it for a period, they did get results. I think you bowl this way if you paly on bouncy pitches for a while. Pakistani pitches have lowest bounce so bowlers are not used to bowl this way.

Bowling full when no swing and bowling short for easy cut/pull - Aus batsmen just score heavily on that.

I believe last time a Pakistani pacer dominated in Australia was in 2010 Sydney Test. Mohammed Sami.

2010 series was quite competitive. Last few tours have been ridiculously one-sided.

I believe last time a Pakistani pacer dominated in Australia was in 2010 Sydney Test. Mohammed Sami.

2010 series was quite competitive. Last few tours have been ridiculously one-sided.
How did they throw that away.

In places like Australia you have to work as a unit. Your 1st change is as important as opening bowler to sustain the pressure.

Yep, and that difficulty to adjust to Australian conditions is partly due to our bowling culture which still remains heavily influenced by the 2Ws.

Our youngsters are regaled with tales about reverse swing, bowling phaast, LBWs and bowleds etc from an early age.

That style of bowling doesn't work in Australia where the majority of wickets are behind the stumps, i.e. keeper and slip catches, from consistently hammering away on a length.

Amir was bowling in 150s somehow, Sami had found his rhythm, Asif was Asif, Umar Gul was gradually looking the part but shouldn't have been picked for the 3rd test.

Sami took the first 3 wickets but it was Asif who took a 6 fer in that inning. We were well placed for a 300 run lead instead of 200 had Yousaf and Umar not thrown their wickets away. Then Kamran played a blinder for Australia by dropping 4 catches I think.

Hassan Ali got a wicket during the 2-day practice game against Victoria on Day 2. Do you think he deserves a chance in place of Khurram in the 2nd test match against Australia?

Pakistan pacer Hassan Ali speaking in presser after end of play on Day 1 of the 2nd Test against Australia

"It was a good day as a bowling unit. We were a bit unlucky that we didn’t get enough wickets but the best thing is that we did not give [Australia] enough runs so I think we are a bit ahead of them. We are looking forward as well to bowl them out for a minimum amount of runs."

"There are times when a bowler is a bit wayward or bowlers have a different plan, but there’s always a chance to come back after lunch. We just gave them I think 20-23 runs in that session and there was also one [dropped] chance. If we got them early the situation could have been different, but this is a part of the game – sometimes you’ll get the catch and sometimes you’ll drop the catch as well."

"The record says that bowling first here gives you a good chance to win the game so that’s why we decided as a unit that we were going to win the toss and bowl first. Yeah, the pitch is a bit tricky and the pitch is slow on the first day while the bounce is not consistent. So yeah we had a good day."

"This is a team decision, and I think it would be better to ask the team management, coach, or captain, but [Agha Salman] bowled nicely in the last game as well, and he got the wicket of David Warner in this game, so he is doing well."

"I can’t say anything; I don’t know whose pace has dropped. Our focus, especially if you talk about me, is not on pace. I have never bowled at 150 kph and think it’s best to bowl at the top of off stump. If you are referring to rumours [about Pakistan pacers dropping their pace], then I haven’t heard them, and we do not care for these rumours. We will focus more on the game. Warner has praised us, so I want to thank him for praising us, and as a unit, we have bowled well."

"Look, we have the upper hand because we didn’t let them score runs, and playing like this against Australia in their conditions, where the pitch was also slow, it’s not like our job is done. There is still a lot of time left, and we are happy that if we get them out under 250, then it will give us a good chance that we can win this Test match."

"The condition was overcast, so the ball kept swinging for a long time, and we were happy that we got such conditions, and because of this, we have bowled well."

Well Shaheen's pace has dropped and it's a fact. Hasan's pace has also dropped a little since 2019. It's okay if you can't bowl at 150, but a pacer needs to maintain his average pace at 135+

Hasan was bowling consistantly around 140ks before injury and he needs to realise that pace makes a difference at the top level alongside line and length as the batter can still negate you at a lower pace.

you need pace to beat the bat and he should be striving to reach these levels.

Poor mindset from Hassan.

Pakistans DNA is pace.

we dont accept anything less.

That delivery to Smith was a beauty. Had that slip 1 step ahead, it would have been 5 down and almost 6 if the fielders are not dropping easy ones.

Too much clowning around from Hasan Ali. Although he was unlucky at times and bowled better than he has done for a while in internationals - I feel he's a straight swap for Naseem Shah or Khurram Shahzad when they recover from injury.

Too much clowning around from Hasan Ali. Although he was unlucky at times and bowled better than he has done for a while in internationals - I feel he's a straight swap for Naseem Shah or Khurram Shahzad when they recover from injury.
How’s it clowning around? The MCG crowd, and particularly that bay, do that with every cricketer that fields there. Test cricket can be painful to watch at times, and the stuff like this provides a bit of entertainment, it ain’t that deep.

But yes, he’s been a fraction of the bowler he was since 2020 and shouldn’t be anywhere near the side once Naseem, Ihsanullah and Khurram are fit.

Hassan has not bowled that bad tbh. He might have not taken many wickets but he kept the batters a bit quiet somehow. He might need another domestic season before he can get his form back.

Back