[VIDEOS] Thomas Tuchel appointed as England's permanent head coach, for an 18-month period from January 2025 [Update at post#26]

Who should be appointed as the next England football manager?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

• Thomas Thucel

• Frank Lampard

• Other

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Southgate’s future was in doubt after falling short at a fourth major tournament, with his side beaten in back-to-back European Championship finals

Graham Potter is the bookmakers’ favourite to succeed Gareth Southgate after the England manager role in Euro 2024 after final defeat.

The 53-year-old’s contract was due to expire in December, but Southgate has elected to leave beforehand to give the Football Association (FA) time to appoint a replacement.

A number of high-profile managers are in the frame as England seek a new manager to take them to the 2026 World Cup.

Potter, out of work since leaving Chelsea in April of last year, was listed as low as evens by several major bookmakers after the final defeat.

5 England players who could have played in their last major tournament
Harry Kane wins Golden Boot after bizarre rule sees Euro 2024 award shared

Eddie Howe, who has done strong work at Newcastle and is on England’s list of targets, is listed at 5/1 by Betfair.

Mauricio Pochettino, another former Chelsea manager, is highly touted having left his role at Stamford Bridge at the end of the season. The Argentine worked closely with Harry Kane and Kyle Walker, England’s captain and vice-captain in Germany, while Tottenham boss.

Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola is perhaps an ambitious shout at 20/1, while Jurgen Klopp, who has turned down an approach from the United States about their vacancy, might be viewed similarly at 14/1.

Next permanent England manager

Graham Potter: 6/4

Eddie Howe: 5/1

Lee Carsley: 11/2

Thomas Tuchel: 6/1

Mauricio Pochettino: 7/1

Jurgen Klopp: 14/1

Ralf Rangnick: 16/1

Frank Lampard, Pep Guardiola: 20/1

Jose Mourinho: 25/1

Michael Carrick: 33/1

I don't think many ambitious club managers would go near this poisoned chalice no matter how much England fans think this about how attractive this job is.

Carsley makes sense - he is relatively low profile, this may be the biggest job he will ever get, he has worked with many of the players and delivered success at u21 levels.

Lets try Pep Guardialo because he does a lot of boosting so let him take this challenge of a title for three lions.

@DeadlyVenom, they think Pep is that stupid lol
====

FA willing to wait for Pep Guardiola to become next England manager with interim solution​

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy policy
The Football Association would consider the idea of appointing an interim in order to try and coax Pep Guardiola as England manager if he does decide to leave Manchester City in 2025. While it is not the federation’s first choice to wait, the Catalan represents such an outstanding candidate that it would at least bring a re-assessment if there was any chance of getting him.

Gareth Southgate’s resignation was announced on Tuesday morning, just two days after the Euro 2024 final defeat to Spain, putting into action a long-prepared FA plan for his departure. The priority now is for a manager who understands the culture of the national team, which Guardiola fits into perfectly having spent eight years in England and supplied so many players. He has naturally been high on any ideal list, but the feeling was previously that it would be near impossible to get him out of City for such a job.

The Football Association are keen to appoint the right successor to Gareth Southgate and are prepared to wait for Pep Guardiola to become available.

There is now a feeling within the English champions that Guardiola might leave at the end of the 2024-25 season. Complicating his future is the ongoing Premier League investigation into City over the hundred-plus charges for alleged breaches of rules on financial regulation. The club stress their innocence.

Sourcd: The Independent

Potter ready for next job as he salutes Southgate

Graham Potter says he is "ready" to return to football management amid reports he is being considered for the England job.

Gareth Southgate resigned as manager on Tuesday, less than 48 hours after England lost 2-1 to Spain in the Euro 2024 final.

Potter, 49, is being tipped as a viable successor to Southgate, with other possible contenders including Newcastle's Eddie Howe and England Under-21 coach Lee Carsley.

Potter has not managed in football since he was sacked by Chelsea in April 2023.

Former Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says it would be "the biggest loss of face in the history of football" if he were to take the England job

The German is among those to have been linked with the vacancy since Gareth Southgate stepped down after England's defeat by Spain in the final of Euro 2024.

Klopp, 57, left Liverpool at the end of last season saying he was "running out of energy" after nine years with the Reds during which he delivered the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, two League Cups, Fifa Club World Cup and Uefa Super Cup.

Appearing at the International Coaches' Congress in Wurzburg, Germany, Klopp was asked if there were any offers on the table.

"At the moment, there is nothing at all in terms of jobs. No club, no country," he said.

"England? That would be the biggest loss of face in the history of football if I said I'll make an exception for you."

On Tuesday, Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe, who has also been linked with England, said he has not had contact with the Football Association over the job.

"Absolutely no contact whatsoever from anybody - and I'm fully committed to Newcastle," said Howe, when asked about England during Newcastle's pre-season trip to Japan.

England's first game following Southgate's departure will be against Republic of Ireland in Dublin on 7 September in the Uefa Nations League.

As well as Howe, England Under-21s boss Lee Carsley has been linked with the job along with former Chelsea and Brighton manager Graham Potter, and Thomas Tuchel, who most recently managed Bayern Munich.

Source: BBC

Would Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola be the right managerial candidate for England?

Lee Carsley: England U21s boss in line to take interim charge of England senior side for September's fixtures​

England U21s boss Lee Carsley is in line to take charge of the England men's senior team for next month's Nations League matches, as the FA continues its process to appoint a long-term successor to Gareth Southgate.

Southgate resigned two days after England lost the European Championship final against Spain, and the next England squad to face Republic of Ireland and Finland is due to be named on August 29.

With that timescale, it is thought the FA is minded to give England U21s manager Carsley the senior role on a short-term basis, as it carries out an exhaustive period of due diligence on a host of possible candidates.

The FA has declined to comment, and will not do so until it has confirmed the new boss.

But in a statement released last month, chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Our UEFA Nations League campaign starts in September, and we have an interim solution in place if it is needed." That was a clear indication that Carsley was primed and ready to step up to take charge of the senior team if needed.

Lee Carsley: England U21s boss in line to take interim charge of England senior side for September's fixtures​

England U21s boss Lee Carsley is in line to take charge of the England men's senior team for next month's Nations League matches, as the FA continues its process to appoint a long-term successor to Gareth Southgate.

Southgate resigned two days after England lost the European Championship final against Spain, and the next England squad to face Republic of Ireland and Finland is due to be named on August 29.

With that timescale, it is thought the FA is minded to give England U21s manager Carsley the senior role on a short-term basis, as it carries out an exhaustive period of due diligence on a host of possible candidates.

The FA has declined to comment, and will not do so until it has confirmed the new boss.

But in a statement released last month, chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Our UEFA Nations League campaign starts in September, and we have an interim solution in place if it is needed." That was a clear indication that Carsley was primed and ready to step up to take charge of the senior team if needed.

Lee Carsley has been confirmed as England's new manager on an interim basis

The England U21s boss will take charge of the Nations League games against Republic of Ireland and Finland in September, with a view to remaining in charge throughout autumn.

The FA will continue its search for Gareth Southgate's permanent successor in the meantime.

Carsley, who assisted Southgate at the last three major tournaments, said: “It’s an honour to step up and lead this England squad on an interim basis.

"As I am very familiar with the players and the cycle of international football, it makes sense for me to guide the team while The FA continues the process to recruit a new manager.

"My main priority is to ensure continuity and our goal is to secure promotion in the UEFA Nations League.”

Mark Bullingham, The FA’s CEO, added: “Lee is a fantastic coach who is well known to the majority of our current senior squad having worked with most at international or club level.

"He offers us a very strong interim solution and we are confident he will perform well in the UEFA Nations League games ahead. We are grateful to Lee for stepping up to manage the team while we continue with our recruitment process.”

Meanwhile, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola was asked about the possibility of becoming permanent England boss in a press conference moments before the news was announced.

He responded: "I have to consider what to do with my life, if I want to continue here, if I want to take a break, if I want to manage a national team or not.

"I am fully excited for the season because I see things that I like. There's a new challenge, to see if we can break our own record."

https://talksport.com/football/2003001/lee-carsley-next-england-manager-pep-guardiola/#

Harry Kane shares honest thoughts on Lee Carsley becoming England interim manager

Harry Kane has vowed to give his all for England interim manager Lee Carsley, as they prepare to begin life after Gareth Southgate.

Carsley, 50, has been promoted from his role as England under-21 head coach to manage the senior team's pair of upcoming Nations League matches against the Republic of Ireland and Finland. The FA are continuing their search to find a permanent successor to Southgate, who emotionally ended his eight-year reign after losing last month's European Championship final against Spain.

England captain Kane has revealed that he's yet to speak to Carsley since the decision, although he expects contact before the September international break. Speaking after playing for Bayern Munich in their pre-season friendly against former club Tottenham, Kane revealed: "With Lee, no I haven't had contact yet.

"Obviously I know him from the under-21s, from when we are at St George's, so I'm sure we'll be in touch before we meet up in a month or so. We'll get back to business and, whoever the manager is, the way we want to play, we'll go out there and give it everything."

The 31-year-old was then asked about England's search for a new permanent manager, with World Cup qualifying set to begin in March. Newcastle boss Eddie Howe, former Brighton and Chelsea manager Graham Potter, Mauricio Pochettino and Thomas Tuchel have all been linked.

"No, I don't have any say (on the next manager)," Kane replied. "I know the guys behind the scenes will make that decision and from my point of view as captain, as a player, it is to get behind the coach and we have two important games coming up.

"After the tournament we had, you want to kick-start well and get back to it. That is all we can do. Of course, those decisions are out of my hands. All I can do is my best for him (Carsley) and for our country."

England's Nations League campaign kicks off against the Republic of Ireland, who Birmingham-born Carsley notably played for at international level, on September 7. The Three Lions then host Finland at Wembley three days later before welcoming Greece in October. Trips to Helsinski and Athens are set to follow before the return game against the Irish in November.

Lee Carsley will announce his first England squad on Thursday after being named England interim head coach earlier this month

It will be the first time the Three Lions squad has got together since the loss in the final of Euro 2024 to Spain and the first time in eight years that a manager other than Gareth Southgate has named a squad.

The 50-year-old has said it is important that he puts his "own stamp" on the squad before Nations League games against the Republic of Ireland and Finland next month.

England cannot reach the Nations League finals as they are in Group B but will be hoping to get promoted back to the top tier.
They also start their World Cup qualifiers next year so these games are important for the group to develo

Who stays in?​

Even though Carsley suggested he wants to make his own impression on the team he also said he must "acknowledge" that a large part of the squad have done well for the Three Lions in the past.

It is just 45 days since England lost to Spain and there have only been two Premier League games played, so Carsley does not have a lot of match time to analyse.

However, the England boss has been seen at stadiums around the country watching players.
It can be expected a large part of the squad will be the same with the spine of Jordan Pickford, John Stones, Declan Rice and Harry Kane all fit and available.

Bukayo Saka is also one of England’s key players and has started the season in great form for Arsenal as he looks to help them challenge for the Premier League title.

The full-back area could see some new faces with Reece James injured, England regular Kieran Trippier only making one substitute appearance so far this season for Newcastle, Luke Shaw injured and another left-back in Ben Chilwell out of the picture at Chelsea.
When Carsley led the England Under-21 side to European Championship success for the first time in 39 years last summer, he played the majority of the tournament with a right-footed left-back, so it could be a possibility he does the same with the senior squad.

Source: BBC​

England's Carsley plays down 'impossible job' tag

Being England boss is not the "impossible job" but "a really good one", says interim boss Lee Carsley.

Victory at the 1966 World Cup remains England men's only major title after Carsley's predecessor Gareth Southgate led the side to consecutive European Championship finals.

Carsley was promoted from coaching England's Under-21s after Southgate's resignation following Euro 2024, but two wins from his opening two games in the Nations League have boosted his chances of being named permanent manager.

The Three Lions beat the Republic of Ireland 2-0 in Dublin before overcoming Finland by the same scoreline at Wembley as England played with greater attacking freedom than on their run to the Euro 2024 final.

Carsley's current role has been called "An Impossible Job" after the 1994 documentary filmed during Graham Taylor's tenure in charge of England, but Carsley says he is unaware of the reference.

"I’ve not heard that one, no," Carsley said, when asked about it.

Even before that documentary the role had been characterised as an 'impossible' one given the intense scrutiny the manger faces from the press and public.

Carsley came in for criticism before his side had even kicked a ball with him at the helm for saying he had never sung the national anthem before games as he wanted to focus on the match, and would not be changing his position on that.

"I think it’s a really good job," he added. "It's a job where, when you look at different opportunities, the first thing you think is: 'Can you win? Can you be in a position where you can win?' This job definitely ticks that box.

"We've got the players to not only be competitive, but to win a major trophy."

When Carsley was appointed as interim manager, the FA said it was "with a view to remaining in the position throughout autumn while the FA's recruitment process for a new permanent head coach continues".

England have four more Nations League games this year, two in October and two in November.

Meanwhile, defender John Stones says he has been impressed by Carsley and his tweaks to England's playing style.

Asked about the changes, Stones said: "Building up from the back, trying to get the lads to show their qualities on the ball and have that patience and belief that they show at their clubs and bring it all together as a collective.

"Everyone has seen a familiar face [Carsley] when we're at St George’s Park.

"We've always been crossing paths and getting to work with him, for me personally and the lads feel the same, we're trying to make the most of it.

"Lee and his staff have as well, and we've got two great results out of it."

BBC

Interim boss Lee Carsley is demanding a reaction when England face Finland in the Uefa Nations League on Sunday.

Carsley's experiment of fielding five attackers without an out-and-out striker backfired when England were beaten 2-1 by Greece at Wembley on Thursday.

Long-serving captain Harry Kane, who missed that game with a knock, has since trained and is expected to return to lead the attack in Helsinki.

Kane marked his 100th appearance for his country with both goals when England beat Finland 2-0 last month.

Asked on Saturday if he would start with a striker this time, Carsley said: "It's important that we do try something different at times and I think I'll be a better coach for that.

"But I think we'll probably be a little bit more conventional tomorrow night."

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, Carsley defended his team selection and said the criticism that has been directed at him since the Greece defeat has not put him off trying something different in the future.

"We haven't won a major trophy since 1966, so to think that we can just keep doing it and keep being so close and at some point we are going to get over the line would be naive," he added.

"We have been so close, we have got to acknowledge that but we still haven't won.

"We have got to have the licence to try something different, because I have tried something and it hasn't worked.

"It doesn't put me off trying something again. If anything it makes me think, right what can I do differently? And how can we do something and get it right?"

Jack Grealish, who scored against the Republic of Ireland in Carsley's first game in charge as interim boss last month, is also set to be available after missing the Greece game because of injury.

Bukayo Saka has withdrawn from the squad after suffering an injury in his right leg, while Liverpool's uncapped midfielder Curtis Jones has also pulled out because of a personal commitment.

'I expect a reaction'

After the poor performance against Greece, Carsley is set to make several changes for his fourth game since being appointed interim manager.

Carsley told Talksport he had not "formally" applied for the permanent role but would not confirm whether he did or did not want it.

Earlier, he told the news conference in Helsinki: "The plan is the same. I wanted to give this job my best shot for the three camps. I didn't want to have any regrets."

Carsley said the performance against Greece was below the standards the team had set themselves.

"The most important thing is a reaction," he added.

"You want the public to trust and love the team because the impact the national team has on the public is very inspiring.

"We know we can do a lot better. You have to respect people's opinions and we didn't perform as well as we can and I would expect a reaction tomorrow night."

Asked if fans will see anything different in terms of tactics or selection to make sure the team is more defensively secure, Carsley said: "I'd expect you to see both."

Carsley has come in for severe criticism from fans and pundits following the last performance, with his tactics described by BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty as "an unseemly shambles".

"It's nothing I'm not used to, having been a professional footballer for such a long time," said Carsley of the reaction.

"It's something I will look back on in maybe two or three months and be better for it.

England need to finish top of their group to win promotion to League A in the Nations League.

They start Sunday's game in second spot on six points, taking on a Finland side who sit bottom without a point. Greece, who host the Republic of Ireland on Sunday (19:45 BST), are top on nine points.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/live/cvgdenr4pm8t

Former Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has held talks with the Football Association about becoming the next England manager

England have been without a permanent manager since Gareth Southgate resigned following the Three Lions' Euro 2024 final defeat against Spain.

Lee Carsley was placed in charge on an interim basis "with a view to remaining in the position throughout autumn" while the FA assessed suitable options.

The BBC has been told by two different sources that initial talks have taken place with German Tuchel.

One source says discussions are at an advanced stage and while no announcement is expected on Tuesday, the situation could develop quickly, with Tuchel now favourite to be given the job.

Next England manager: Guardiola or Tuchel?
An approach was also made for Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola in the summer to see if had an interest in the England role.

Neither the FA or Manchester City would comment publicly when approached by BBC Sport.

Tuchel left Bayern Munich in May, despite still having a year to run on his contract, as the German giants failed to win the Bundesliga title for the first time since 2011-12.

He has also previously managed Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Paris St-Germain.

Tuchel, 51, was Chelsea boss between January 2021 and September 2022 - winning the Champions League, Fifa Club World Cup and Uefa Super Cup before being sacked.

In June, Tuchel ruled himself out of the running to take over at Manchester United - it was understood that he met Red Devils co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe in France.

If appointed, Tuchel would become the third non-British permanent manager of the England men's team after Sven-Goran Erikss
on and Fabio Capello.

Thomas Tuchel was approached by the FA in August, signed his contract on 8 October and news of the agreement only emerged on 15 October, before he was confirmed on 16 October

A whirlwind week has seen the England men's team go from the leadership of a once untroubled interim manager to the appointment of serial winner Thomas Tuchel as their permanent head coach, for an 18-month period from January 2025 until the summer of 2026.

The speed at which the story developed, with very few leaks until news started to break on Tuesday, surprised many.

Through a combination of BBC sources, interviews and news conferences, we've pulled together what we've learned about the process that led the Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham to announce Tuchel as "the best candidate for the job" to give England the "best chance of winning the 2026 World Cup".

The key points in summary

The FA says its managerial search began in July.

Tuchel told the BBC the FA first approached him in late August.

Tuchel signed his contract on Tuesday, 8 October - two days before England's surprise defeat by Greece sparked fresh speculation about the permanent manager position and the recruitment process.

At a similar time, before the Greece game, a senior FA source told the BBC the recruitment process was "going well".

Sources told the BBC Bullingham led a 30-minute call to the FA board on 8 October to inform them Tuchel was ready to sign.

Bullingham has said "approximately 10" candidates were spoken to, including English coaches, but we have been told the board members were not informed of any other potential candidates.

The Tuchel news did not start to leak until Tuesday, 15 October, with some media reports still speculating over an approach to Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Tuesday morning.

Two sources told the BBC the FA did make an approach to Guardiola earlier in the summer.

Both Tuchel and Bullingham said the "confidential process" involved only them and FA technical director John McDermott, who met with Tuchel in Munich.

BBC Sport has been told by sources the short, "focused" 18-month project idea was driven by Tuchel.

Back