Virat Kohli: 'In my mind, I have already achieved what I wanted to as a leader'

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India captain Virat Kohli said he has already achieved what he wanted to as a leader, saying he has done his job in the transitional phase since he took over as captain from MS Dhoni. In an interview to Dinesh Karthik for Sky Sports, Kohli pointed to the ‘culture and environment’ that has become the norm in Indian cricket as his legacy.

Kohli said:

“In my mind, I have already achieved what I wanted to as a leader. Which is to create an environment and culture where people strive for excellence everyday. When I see us practising now, every session that we play, no one is wasting their time on the field. That for me is so, so important because I’d rather have an hour of quality practice and I’ve done everything that I have to do, rather than lurking around for 2 to 2.5 hours and fooling around for an hour in between. I don’t see anyone doing that anymore.

“It’s absolutely precise and professional. At the age group level, you know that if you want to play for India, you got to be fit. You need a certain fitness level. Fsat bowlers coming in now are ready to bowl 20 overs, easy. They’re fit, hardly have any niggles.

“I feel I have done my job in the transitional phase. After MS (Dhoni) left, cricket evolved. It changed, the pace of the game starting moving notches higher and we moved with time, stayed up to speed. The results in the last 5-6 years are there for all to see. We’re one team which everyone is wary of when we travel. That’s all that I wanted to see as captain."

Kohli also spoke about his habit of reaching out to youngsters within the team.

“If you told me I have to walk away from this game tomorrow I can walk away without any regrets. Because everything that I have done since I entered the Indian team has always been for the team," he said.

“The reason why I reach out to the youngsters is because I don’t want them to waste months and years of their life like I wasted as a youngster, still trying to figure things out. I found out the formula for success and what it means to succeed at this level, I want these guys to pick it up early so that the transition with Indian team can be smooth. It should not take the youngsters 2-3 years after the seniors have gone to build the team again. So I want them up to speed immediately when we are almost about to step out so that Indian cricket stays on top.

“It doesn’t matter if the guy bowling has 130-140 matches experience and you’ve got 4. If you have more belief than him on the day, you can outplay him. That’s what I’ve tried to inculcate in their minds. That don’t let the norms of playing 30-40 games and gaining experience fool you. Because even if you’ve played 80-90 games and aren’t in a good frame of mind, you’re still going to nick the first ball to slips. So this is a game that has to be played in the moment, one day at a time.

“That’s why I talk to them about the things I did wrong when I came in. Don’t play for proving people wrong, don’t play for stuff that does not matter. Which is England tour, tick mark, Australia tour, tick mark. It doesn’t matter in the end. Did you step on to the field absolutely fearless? If you did and you’re failing, no problem at all. It just wasn’t meant to be for you. So don’t play for wrong reasons."

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...ved-what-i-wanted-to-as-a-leader-4045970.html

Yeah it seems you are also winning ICC tournaments in your mind. How many trophies have you won in your mind? You can include IPL trophies as well. :inti

Kohli indeed set up a very good work ethics in the team. He must also be credited for rejuvinating Indian test team from where it was under Dhoni. He backed fast bowlers, gave them confidence and now we are seeing the results.

It would be good if he wins an ICC event but even if he dont he will be remembered as someone who set up the system in Indian cricket. He is bit like Ganguly and the next captain after him will reap the benefits of the seed that Kohli is sowing now.

Very good test captain, not good enough captain for LOIs.

The statement is over the top though. His only great achievement is to led India to a test series win in Australia without Smith and Warner.

Very good test captain, not good enough captain for LOIs.

The statement is over the top though. His only great achievement is to led India to a test series win in Australia without Smith and Warner.

Even in tests his team often bottled it on big occasions.

His home test record is insanely good but that’s the case with almost any long term Indian captain? Even dhoni I think only lost one series ever at home. Ganguly same. Though his ruthlessness still home is admirable. Clean sweep after clean sweep

He has achieved a lot individually but what has he achieved as a leader? No major title yet.

The absence of ICC silverware will hurt Virat's ego big time. He would definitely want to be in the league of Kapil and MSD as a captain who brought home an ICC trophy.
It remains to be seen if his ego will triumph over his complacence.

Last edited:
He has achieved a lot individually but what has he achieved as a leader? No major title yet.

This is a ridiculous statement. Sarfraz Ahmed won the CT, is he a better and more successful leader than VK? VK hasn't won a major ICC Trophy but India is the best team in the world in all formats. They are dominant at home and are starting to be dominant away from home.

Of course.

He is the GOAT Asian Test captain.

1) 36 Test wins - more than any Asian captain.

2) First Asian captain to win in Australia.

3) longest ever reign as number 1 ranked team from Asia.

4) longest reign as number ranked 1 team among all sides in the 2010s.

These are incredible achievements. No Asian Test captain has achieved more.

Yes he has underachieved as a white ball captain, but his phenomenal achievements as Test captain will define his legacy.

Absolutely agree. He is not talking about trophy results as a leader. It's all about the culture of not getting intimated, being fit and backing your strengths. That is clearly leadership.

For those not understanding what he is saying, well you are only good for trolling and wasting time. No surprises there.

Absolutely agree. He is not talking about trophy results as a leader. It's all about the culture of not getting intimated, being fit and backing your strengths. That is clearly leadership.

For those not understanding what he is saying, well you are only good for trolling and wasting time. No surprises there.

Exactly my thoughts. People who start trolling without reading and comprehending whats being told. He did not say anything about any trophies, and he is very much aware that he has not won any but that’s not the context.

Let trolls being troll, everyone know them.

Don't know about as a leader. As a batsman he surely has achieved much more then he would have dreamt about when he started out in the game.

Disappointing to hear after 6 ICC tournament chokes in the last 7 years albeit not all of them were under his captaincy.

It seems you were the only one who read the OP? May be you are new to sports but you have to win trophies as well. This culture and environment will change as soon as he leaves the team. It always changes with the new captain and coach. :inti

It seems you were the only one who read the OP? May be you are new to sports but you have to win trophies as well. This culture and environment will change as soon as he leaves the team. It always changes with the new captain and coach. :inti

It's not always present, those who think of future are real leaders. This started from time of dravid ganguly, passed to dhoni and then kohli. So i can confidently say it will stay that way. Any keen eyed cricket enthusiast can see it.

In terms of outcome as a leader, all he has got to show is a win against a depleted Aussie side.
He is so full of himself, unbelievable.

Early onset of delusion and other age related mental illness?

He speaks good English - maybe ziyada bol gaya type thing.

So after two Indian sides winning World Cup or whatever (Pandya) we have the Kohli with 23% test record as captain in SENA (averaging 29 for past 2 years) claiming he has achieved what he wanted ...

Might as well resign as captain and let someone else have a go now that you have achieved all you want?

36 Test wins - more than any Asian captain.

Nice try lol but you fail as always. 25 of these "GOAT test wins" came in India on doctored domestic pitches. Just because Kohli higher number of test matches at home to boost his win rate, does not make him a GOAT captain.

Kohli the captain gets exposed badly when we filter out his domestic wins. He has just won 11 tests outside India in his 7 years of captaincy. Fact is, Kohli is the worst away captain with his 21 % win rate in SENA. Compare that to Misbah who stands at better 27 % win rate in SENA.

Even if we count these 25 domestic wins, 36/62 = 58 % overall win rate of Kohli is not largely different to Misbah 26/56 = 47 % win rate. So much for GOAT captain ...

First Asian captain to win in Australia.

against massively depleted Australia. Sure ...

Of course.

He is the GOAT Asian Test captain.

Stats matter opinions do not ...

To be fair, he’s not wrong. Despite the lack of trophies, he’s created an environment that breeds success and inspires players to be at their very best.

Nice try lol but you fail as always. 25 of these "GOAT test wins" came in India on doctored domestic pitches. Just because Kohli higher number of test matches at home to boost his win rate, does not make him a GOAT captain.

Kohli the captain gets exposed badly when we filter out his domestic wins. He has just won 11 tests outside India in his 7 years of captaincy. Fact is, Kohli is the worst away captain with his 21 % win rate in SENA. Compare that to Misbah who stands at better 27 % win rate in SENA.

Even if we count these 25 domestic wins, 36/62 = 58 % overall win rate of Kohli is not largely different to Misbah 26/56 = 47 % win rate. So much for GOAT captain ...

against massively depleted Australia. Sure ...

Stats matter opinions do not ...

I agree - stats matter, opinions do not.

Kohli has more Test wins than any Asian captain in history; he kept his team at the top of the rankings longer than any captain in Asian history; he kept his team at the top of the rankings in the 2010-20 decade longer than any other captain.

All these are factual stats, and they hold infinitely more weightage than your subjective, opinionated rambling on doctored home pitches.

Furthermore, a captain that lost a Test match and drew a series in Zimbabwe in 2013 cannot enter the debate of performances outside Asia.

Losing a Test in Zimbabwe in 2013 is the lowest low that a captain can achieve outside Asia, it is far worse than getting whitewashed in England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand multiple times.

Moreover, as far as winning against a massively depleted Australian side is concerned, an Australian team without Warner and Smith but with their full attack will smash every side at home, let alone Pakistan who would get humiliated in Australia even if Australia fields its U-19 team.

All the doubts and question marks over India’s win in 2018 were destroyed when India defeated full-strength Australia with their reserve team earlier this year.

It was a real slap in the face for all those who doubted India’s win in 2018. The fact that they were popping champagne bottles after the Adelaide debacle was a cherry on top; not in a million years did they ever think that India would recover from that and win the series, that too after losing half of its team, but that is the fighting spirit and resilience that Kohli has instilled in his team.

Kohli has nothing to prove to anyone. Pakistani fans can only dream of producing a batsman and captain like him.

Winning this series in England will definitely be a big achievement but in limited overs he should be removed ASAP.

Disappointing to hear this from the Captain. Same old fearlessness, attitude, self-belief etc. Why didn't the interviewer ask a follow-up question about the lack of ICC trophies or meaningful overseas test victories (apart from one in Australia 2018)? If you have already achieved everything as a leader, what more is left for you? Better make way for the next captain, no?

Disappointing to hear this from the Captain. Same old fearlessness, attitude, self-belief etc. Why didn't the interviewer ask a follow-up question about the lack of ICC trophies or meaningful overseas test victories (apart from one in Australia 2018)? If you have already achieved everything as a leader, what more is left for you? Better make way for the next captain, no?

Because the interviewer is his friend Dinesh Karthik. Brilliant batmen is Kohli but he doesn't half waffle. You can drop all the philosophy you want but at the end of the day sports captains are judged on trophies not whether they left the house in order for the next man.

Most journalists would be scared of throwing any double-minded questions to a personality like Virat Kohli.

When India lost the Champions Trophy 2017 final, one of the journalists did tried that by saying that you won the toss and that is the only positive from the day. After that, he got owned by Kohli.

Then again when India lost the first two tests to South Africa in South Africa 2018, the South African journalist asked him about India's performance overseas. He again insulted the journalist by saying that how many did South Africa won last time around in India. Kohli's communication skills, arrogance and personality is such that nobody can get into his nerves.

*Correction*

"The journalist said, you got a wicket of No- Bowl. I think that is the pleasant moment you had in the day".

Then Kohli replied, " How can a no ball be considered as a pleasant moment. Does that question even make sense."

:)))

Last edited by a moderator:
arey yaar stop giving rubbish statements, first win one ICC trophy or Away test series against two SENA countries at least. :facepalm

Last edited:
I agree - stats matter, opinions do not.

Kohli has more Test wins than any Asian captain in history; he kept his team at the top of the rankings longer than any captain in Asian history; he kept his team at the top of the rankings in the 2010-20 decade longer than any other captain.

All these are factual stats, and they hold infinitely more weightage than your subjective, opinionated rambling on doctored home pitches.

Furthermore, a captain that lost a Test match and drew a series in Zimbabwe in 2013 cannot enter the debate of performances outside Asia.

Losing a Test in Zimbabwe in 2013 is the lowest low that a captain can achieve outside Asia, it is far worse than getting whitewashed in England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand multiple times.

Moreover, as far as winning against a massively depleted Australian side is concerned, an Australian team without Warner and Smith but with their full attack will smash every side at home, let alone Pakistan who would get humiliated in Australia even if Australia fields its U-19 team.

All the doubts and question marks over India’s win in 2018 were destroyed when India defeated full-strength Australia with their reserve team earlier this year.

It was a real slap in the face for all those who doubted India’s win in 2018. The fact that they were popping champagne bottles after the Adelaide debacle was a cherry on top; not in a million years did they ever think that India would recover from that and win the series, that too after losing half of its team, but that is the fighting spirit and resilience that Kohli has instilled in his team.

Kohli has nothing to prove to anyone. Pakistani fans can only dream of producing a batsman and captain like him.

Aaaaaaaw Jimmy Jimmy

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Anderson!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WOWWWW! &#55357;&#56613;<a href="https://twitter.com/jimmy9?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jimmy9</a> gets Kohli first ball and Trent Bridge is absolutely rocking! <br><br>Scorecard/Clips: <a href="https://t.co/5eQO5BWXUp">https://t.co/5eQO5BWXUp</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> <a href="https://t.co/g06S0e4GN7">pic.twitter.com/g06S0e4GN7</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1423268412810092554?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 5, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First time in 12 Tests Anderson has dismissed Kohli; last was Old Trafford in 2014

People like to criticize too much. I would urge all to listen to the full interview on what context he had said that. It was a fascinating interview to watch and as an ICT fan I am proud of such a balanced guy leading my team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fascinating interview with <a href="https://twitter.com/imVkohli?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@imVkohli</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SkyCricket</a> by <a href="https://twitter.com/DineshKarthik?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DineshKarthik</a>.<br>What a magnificent leader and man. The very epitome of a disciplined, focused, professional and mentally strong elite sportsman. So impressive. No wonder he's the best batsman & captain in the world. <a href="https://t.co/GGVeu9oc7R">pic.twitter.com/GGVeu9oc7R</a></p>— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) <a href="https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1423258931653132292?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It is ridiculous how he has become such a cult figure in India. The only way his ego will come down is if he continues to fail as a batsman, which is not something any Indian cricket fan would want. So we are stuck. :mw3

Most journalists would be scared of throwing any double-minded questions to a personality like Virat Kohli.

When India lost the Champions Trophy 2017 final, one of the journalists did tried that by saying that you won the toss and that is the only positive from the day. After that, he got owned by Kohli.

Then again when India lost the first two tests to South Africa in South Africa 2018, the South African journalist asked him about India's performance overseas. He again insulted the journalist by saying that how many did South Africa won last time around in India. Kohli's communication skills, arrogance and personality is such that nobody can get into his nerves.

*Correction*

"The journalist said, you got a wicket of No- Bowl. I think that is the pleasant moment you had in the day".

Then Kohli replied, " How can a no ball be considered as a pleasant moment. Does that question even make sense."

*Correction*

The problem with the indian mentality, come to our grounds and we will tell you.

Those dustbowks do little help to them. They dominate every match that gets played in a dustbowl than when the moment comes to play overseas the expectations are high becuase of the performances fans see on the dustbowls. But than, we end up seeing india performing badly and get exposed.

The dustbowls doesnt allow thrm to prepare for other kind of pitches

Please leave the captaincy then.

The decline of virat and his closeness to Bollywood coincides.

But than, we end up seeing india performing badly and get exposed.

Only losers sook about what pitches opposition prepares! We don't sook about what kind of pitches we are served when we travel!

And if it's India that gets exposed away, what would you say about other teams then? They are even more garbage on away pitches!

That's not true [MENTION=135038]Major[/MENTION]. Maybe it was the case in 90s and 2000s, but for the past 5-6 years, India has been playing well in SENA conditions, we have fast bowlers that can match that of any SENA team. Yes India is invincible in spin-friendly conditions, but even in foreign conditions, India is hardly "exposed"; haven't we recently won a series in Australia? I think most matches we lost in SENA were lost in a few sessions which are due to poor strategy and bad planning.

The problem is with Virat's captaincy and attitude (as mentioned in the OP) that is not allowing him to introspect and fix his errors (for the team, as a captain) so he can win ICC trophies and overseas test series. What annoys most Indian fans is when he says the result of a match is not important, but how the players approach the match is. C'mon, results matter and the bare shelf of ICC trophies will dent his legacy no matter how confident he is about his approach.

The problem with the indian mentality, come to our grounds and we will tell you.

Those dustbowks do little help to them. They dominate every match that gets played in a dustbowl than when the moment comes to play overseas the expectations are high becuase of the performances fans see on the dustbowls. But than, we end up seeing india performing badly and get exposed.

India are doing well overseas. It is Australia and England who need to improve when they tour India.

The fact that they haven't been able to beat Pakistan in UAE in last 6-7 years or so when Pakistan has been at their worse tells us that their test cricket performance in alien conditions is ignored too often while it is often highlighted for Indian team.

Tbh the only thing he has truly achieved as a leader is a series win in Australia. Series wins in New Zealand, South Africa and England have eluded him, as have ICC tournaments.

The highest successful chase by India in England is 173, if they can score 157 runs more on the final day at Nottingham then it will be part of history.

If he thinks that, no wonder he is scoring 0 (1) and skips a tour of Australia.

It seems that Virat Kohli is being haunted by the ghost of his 2014 England tour where he had a horrible performance with the bat. His tendency to chase deliveries outside off was exploited to the hilt by the English bowlers back then keeping him quiet during the entire tour.

However, during the tour of 2018, Kohli was well-prepared and hence, scored plenty of runs, On the ongoing tour though he’s back to square one as he’s been dismissed in the same fashion repeatedly - chasing deliveries that are way outside off.

Batting legend Sunil Gavaskar though defended Kohli’s approach arguing it has gotten him thousands of runs but he did point fingers over the India captain’s intent.

“That method has been successful for him. He has got 8000 Test runs with that back and across movement," Gavaskar said on Sony Sports Network. “But he is playing at deliveries way outside off stump and a little too early in the innings. This time around, the foot is somewhere else, the bat is somewhere else, which means that he hasn’t really played well. It could be about this much-talked-about word intent but in a five-day game, every batsman goes in to score runs. It’s the method that differs."

Kohli was out for a golden duck in the drawn first Test at Trent Bridge. However, in the ongoing Test at Lord’s, he got the starts in both the innings, although they were a study in contrast.

While in the first innings he scored 42 off 103, in the next, he was relatively aggressive while hitting 20 off 31 deliveries. Gavaskar hinted that the approach from the 32-year-old could have been a little different.

“When you talk about this ‘trying to take this attack to the opposition’ approach, and if that is what intent is, it can get you into trouble like we saw. I think every batsman should be left alone to find his own method. This is a Test match. In ODI and T20I, it’s a completely different situation, but over here, what they need to look into is get themselves in and try to play in the old-fashioned ‘V’. Play only when you have fought through," Gavaskar said.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...il-gavaskar-on-virat-kohlis-form-4091198.html

People like to criticize too much. I would urge all to listen to the full interview on what context he had said that. It was a fascinating interview to watch and as an ICT fan I am proud of such a balanced guy leading my team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fascinating interview with <a href="https://twitter.com/imVkohli?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@imVkohli</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SkyCricket</a> by <a href="https://twitter.com/DineshKarthik?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DineshKarthik</a>.<br>What a magnificent leader and man. The very epitome of a disciplined, focused, professional and mentally strong elite sportsman. So impressive. No wonder he's the best batsman & captain in the world. <a href="https://t.co/GGVeu9oc7R">pic.twitter.com/GGVeu9oc7R</a></p>— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) <a href="https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1423258931653132292?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Well, if Piers has said it, now we know for sure Kohli isn't the best player or captain in the world.

If he thinks that, no wonder he is scoring 0 (1) and skips a tour of Australia.
K0hl(1) :kohli

Man's a meme these days.

Last edited:
Kohli won the toss after many; wish he had lost it today

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Virat Kohli's last century for India was on 23rd November 2019 (644 days ago and 52 innings ago) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1431572932183080960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 28, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:))

You gotta love the joke that Indian cricket has become.

This guy has no credentials to lead now but everyone keeps falling over themselves to hail him as the best captain.

He played his part in developing the test team but now he must be stripped of captaincy at the very very least.

Performance wise, he should be the first one thrown out.

Virat has been too much hype all his test career but reality is except between 2016-2018, he was always just a good test batsman and nowhere close to the Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting league. The less you talk about captaincy, the better it is.

Virat has been too much hype all his test career but reality is except between 2016-2018, he was always just a good test batsman and nowhere close to the Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting league.

Is he better than Laxman impact wise?

He had 3 magical overseas tours....

Aus 2014
SA 2018
Eng 2018

Thats it.

At home, barring the English series in 2016, he went missing in almost all major series against quality teams.

Barring a knovk here or there.

He still doesnt have a single home series where he performed well when the pitch turned a lot.

Again barring a knock here or there but cant even remember a knovk on a tough spin track.

Closest is mumbai 2016 against England.

Kolkata 2016 was a pacer friendly track where he played well against NZ.

Yet averages 65 at home bashing Lankans and Saffers for some double centuries.

All the tough runs at home were scored by others.

Aus 2014
SA 2018
Eng 2018

Thats it.

At home, barring the English series in 2016, he went missing in almost all major series against quality teams.

He still doesnt have a single home series where he performed well when the pitch turned a lot.

Again barring a knock here or there but cant even remember a knovk on a tough spin track.

I am big kholi fan - But in his mind he has achieved what he wanted - Kholi is done as a world class player - he Will be an average player in future - Reason is technically and reflexes are gone. I really hope he proves me wrong

Feminists will kill me but the guy has become super soft after getting married to Anushka

So this Fake wannnabe Ponting is having a great fall due to his arrogance. This fake aggression tumbles under pressure and the guy goes missing in big tournaments and when his team needed it the most. Atleast MSD was calm about it and not trying to overdo everything

Whilst Kohli has an impeccable record as captain, the icing on the cake will always be an ICC trophy.

Just as we base the quality of a batsman on the number of hundreds scored, ICC trophies are the hall-marks of a good captain.

Could you say Kohli is a good IPL captain? Perhaps not given that he hasn't won any silverware despite playing for a decade or so.

People would probably come and ask me if Sarfaraz was a better captain than Kohli just because of a fluked CT17. He might be a horrific captain, but having that silverware does give him the credit that his captaincy helped win a major tournament.

As far as I'm concerned, India won the test series in Australia not fully under Kohli's captaincy either, so I wouldn't give him all the credit for it like many are doing. He won the first test against England, but he has been smoked in the second test.

Statements like "I'm satisfied with my captaincy" should only come if you have won ICC silverware in my mind, because series wins will come and go but having that trophy remains a proper memory and sign of a team dominating all formats.

Did well today with the bat to get to his half century - expected him to stay on longer.

For all those who have been criticizing Kohli :

Look at the situation India has been and come out of in this series. There have been batting collapses which would have broken any lesser captain but Kohli has that immense mental strength and conviction to stand by his decisions. Moreover he hasn't let the team spirit to drop even during atrocious batting displays. Otherwise they wouldn't have bounced back.

I am not speaking about his form with the bat or his captaincy decisions but rather how he has handled the team in spite of that. As I said, any lesser captain would have started showing meekness and would have been considering resigning or sitting out a test. Not Kohli

Last edited:
For all those who have been criticizing Kohli :

Look at the situation India has been and come out of in this series. There have been batting collapses which would have broken any lesser captain but Kohli has that immense mental strength and conviction to stand by his decisions. Moreover he hasn't let the team spirit to drop even during atrocious batting displays. Otherwise they wouldn't have bounced back.

I am not speaking about his form with the bat or his captaincy decisions but rather how he has handled the team in spite of that. As I said, any lesser captain would have started showing meekness and would have been considering resigning or sitting out a test. Not Kohli

100% agreed.

Kohli has a thick skin.

A "meek" captain would have had a shred of shame and not continued with this stubborness but not Kohli.

Thats whats most important.

Thank God we have Kohli and we don't have to relive what we went through under that meek Rahane in Aus 2020.

100% agreed.

Kohli has a thick skin.

A "meek" captain would have had a shred of shame and not continued with this stubborness but not Kohli.

Thats whats most important.

Thank God we have Kohli and we don't have to relive what we went through under that meek Rahane in Aus 2020.

Sarcasm aside, I never said that Rahane was meek or any lesser captain than Kohli in that series as that Aussie series was equally challenging especially as he had a team of youngsters nd debutantes. Great captaincy by Rahane too just like Root has been sometimes in this Eng series.

But you are forgetting key differences,
1) Rahane was not a regular captain and was not expected to win due to the team he had. He was not under a scanner like Kohli is.
2) None of us were scathing in our criticism of Rahane when things went wrong in Australia.
3) India was not losing matches because of selection controversies and no one was questioning Rahane.
4) Root has made selection blunders like Kohli but at the same time he is in the form of his life and no one is gunning for his head to roll. so not comaparable

My point Rahane was not under pressure like Kohli is.
I already told that Kohli batting and team selections were not the best.

add to that, Kohli has shown improvement
His two ,selections Thakur and Umesh Yadav have made a huge difference already.

Sarcasm aside, I never said that Rahane was meek or any lesser captain than Kohli in that series as that Aussie series was equally challenging especially as he had a team of youngsters nd debutantes. Great captaincy by Rahane too just like Root has been sometimes in this Eng series.

But you are forgetting key differences,
1) Rahane was not a regular captain and was not expected to win due to the team he had. He was not under a scanner like Kohli is.
2) None of us were scathing in our criticism of Rahane when things went wrong in Australia.
3) India was not losing matches because of selection controversies and no one was questioning Rahane.
4) Root has made selection blunders like Kohli but at the same time he is in the form of his life and no one is gunning for his head to roll. so not comaparable

My point Rahane was not under pressure like Kohli is.
I already told that Kohli batting and team selections were not the best.

I know you didnt attack Rahane there.

I used him as an example.

Issue with Kohli is not the pacers or his strategy per se.

Its his stubborness and history of poor decision making.

This England team is there for taking so he might still win with tons of mistakes but sooner or later, his approach will catch up with him.

His captaincy did cost us a lot in the last SA and Eng tours.

Not ssying we would have won otherwise but as the days go, you will see how it will impact the team.

Theres a reason why India hasnt won any major trophies for the last 8 years.

Using Kohli's weakness as a strength...i dont see the point of it.

Anything overused becomes poison and thats the issue with Kohli.

Last edited:
It’s surprising to see how many critics he has to be honest when you look at all the success he has driven and am not his biggest fan either

Aus 2014
SA 2018
Eng 2018

Thats it.

He should do better than what he has achieved till now in tests as a batsman. He is a better batsman than what he has done in test cricket.

As a captain also, it is a great chance for him to win the test series in England or South Africa because this is a really bad era for cricket in terms of overall strength of the team.

Last edited:
India batter Virat Kohli has said that one does not need to be a captain of a team to play the role of a "leader". Earlier this month, Kohli stood down as India's Test skipper a day after the country suffered a 1-2 series defeat against South Africa in the three-match series. Last year, the 33-year-old had also stepped down as T20I captain and then he was removed as the ODI leader after the selectors wanted one leader for white-ball formats.

"See, I think firstly you need to have a complete understanding of what you set out to achieve and whether you have achieved those targets or not. Everything has a tenure and time period, so you have to be aware of it. As a batter, you might be able to give more to the team, so take pride in that," said Kohli on an episode of 'Fireside Chat with VK'.

"You do not need to be a captain to be the leader. When MS Dhoni was in the team, it was not like he was not the leader, he was still the guy from whom we wanted to have inputs. To win or not win is not in your hands, the striving for excellence and to be better every day, is not something you can do short term. When it comes to a culture, it will last beyond your playing years and your responsibility," he added.

Further talking about his viewpoint, Kohli said: "To add to that, moving on is also a part of leadership, to understand the right time to do that. I think one has to embrace all kinds of roles and opportunities. I have played under MS Dhoni for a while and then I became the captain, my mindset has been the same all this while. I always thought like a captain when I was just a player in the team."

No other Indian skipper has captained India in more Tests (68) or won more matches (40) than Virat Kohli. India lost just five of the 24 series under his captaincy.

Away from home, Kohli's India won 16 out of 36 matches, with an impressive win percentage of 44.44, the highest for an Indian or Asian captain who has led their team in at least 10 matches.

"I think, it is very important to be aware of what you think about yourself. At the end of the day, if you have more responsibility, you know you can have a different vision so you need to stay true to yourself. If I know my game is not where it should be, then I do not need someone to push me, I am myself aware of it," said Kohli.

"Communication is the most important thing, you cannot someone cut off saying I do not need your point of view, you can respectfully say I am in a good space and if there is help to be taken, then I will reach out to you. That sort of balance has worked out for me," he added.

Talking about the team culture within Team India, Kohli said: "Culture is a very difficult thing to change but I have experienced in any field in India it is important to set the culture from the top and that is how things have had an impact in our society. When I became the captain, my focus was on cultural change."

"I knew we do not lack in skill, I was thinking about maximizing the talent to its potential. I wanted to not confine my vision and if you want to expand it, then you need culture. Culture requires you to work hard every day. It is a constant process, culture is more important than strategy. As a captain, I was more focused on trying to bring in a culture of we are capable of winning from anywhere," he added.
https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/you...-be-leader-within-a-group-virat-kohli-2739775

India batter Virat Kohli has said that one does not need to be a captain of a team to play the role of a "leader".

This is true, a leader can inspire team and provide valuable input due to their experience. Rahane might not be a great leader but he's a great captain. Kohli is an ok captain but a great leader.

Back