Wasim Jaffer calls time on his 25 year cricket career

Team Slayer

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Another Indian batsman from Mumbai.

Fantastic find for India. He's been so consistent in the WI-India series. Glad to see him score runs, always felt that he was a better bet than Ghambir, Akash Chopra and Ramesh.

I think Jaffa and Sehwag will be a fantastic opening combo for India for a long time. Too bad their middle order is that pathetic that they can't capitalize on the starts.

Good batman. Is making runs consistently now.

He seems ok once he is settled .. But early on he is very nervous and prone to creating a lot of edges comes playing Aus in Aus with that kind of habit he wont last long

Romali_rotti said:
He seems ok once he is settled .. But early on he is very nervous and prone to creating a lot of edges comes playing Aus in Aus with that kind of habit he wont last long

Who'd you rather open with? Inconsistent Gambir?

Romali_rotti said:
true... but then again most openers are unsteady starters.

Yea, Jaffer seems to be a good choice at the moment, but we have to wait for 6 months to a year to see how he truly is at the top level and against better opposition

hindsy said:
Yea, Jaffer seems to be a good choice at the moment, but we have to wait for 6 months to a year to see how he truly is at the top level and against better opposition
yeah... he was unlucky to get a raw deal against australia on debut, but these current tests are all on feather beds... maybe a trial by fire awaits him in england.

akram_rejuvinated said:
yeah... he was unlucky to get a raw deal against australia on debut, but these current tests are all on feather beds... maybe a trial by fire awaits him in england.

i think, yaara, he made his debut against SA at home..along with Mohd Kaif

Tupac said:
i think, yaara, he made his debut against SA at home..along with Mohd Kaif

He sure did, baptism of fire against a younger Donald and Pollock, he only made a few 20s if I rem correctly in that series and never heard of him for another cpl of years after that..

An encouraging thought of him is that he is a good backfoot player, he showed that Against Western Australia in Perth when Mumbai took them on at the WACA, he made a glorious 94 before he went out....

Watch this guy get found out this series.

Its ok making hundreds and hundreds of runs on featherbeds against a powderpuff attack, but lets see what he does in this series in Aus.

jusarrived said:
vey similar technique to MoYo .......looks good only on flat pitches !
yes, both players records are very similar too arent they :p

Saj said:
yes, both players records are very similar too arent they :p

am not saying both player are of the same class.....but their techniques are very similar & will struggle on pithches wer there is extra bounce !

jusarrived said:
am not saying both player are of the same class.....but their techniques are very similar & will struggle on pithches wer there is extra bounce !
I think its a problem for a number of sub continental batsmen, thats why most of our guys are like rabbits caught in the headlights when they got to Australia and SA.

The issue of curators and pitches I guess which really does need addressing.

I highly doubt our bowlers will let Jaffer score more then 20 runs in this series, especially after they've worked out his technical flaws.

Saj said:
I think its a problem for a number of sub continental batsmen, thats why most of our guys are like rabbits caught in the headlights when they got to Australia and SA.

The issue of curators and pitches I guess which really does need addressing.

frankly I feel we tend to be little too harsh on our own players ......its not just sub continental players ,but most players from SA , Eng , NZ & Aus will get exposed on ufamiliar conditions ........there are probabaly at max 5 batsmen in world cricket who can play in all conditions.... apart from kallis I can think of one other player fronm SA , NZ or Eng who has good technique and add to thet these guys cant play spin atall...so its not just the problem with our teams !

Mohammed Yousuf has adjusted to bouncier overseas conditions to some extent. On a minefield of a wicket at Cape Town earlier this year he scored 83 out of a total of 157. A weak Pak attack bundled out South Africa for 183 in response to indicate the assistance for the bowlers.

A difficult series for Pak in England last year saw Yousaf record scores of 202, 192 and 128. He failed in the Old Trafford test match but on both occasions was dismissed by Panesar. During the first innings on another minefield in which Harmison took 6/19 he played the pacers reasonably well after a torrid first over from Saj Mahmood.

I think he has made an adjustment in his technique from his earlier days which allows him to ride the bounce. He looked clueless during his test debut at Durban but years of hard work seem to have paid off and it is unfair to label him a flat track bully.

jusarrived said:
frankly I feel we tend to be little too harsh on our own players ......its not just sub continental players ,but most players from SA , Eng , NZ & Aus will get exposed on ufamiliar conditions ........there are probabaly at max 5 batsmen in world cricket who can play in all conditions.... apart from kallis I can think of one other player fronm SA , NZ or Eng who has good technique and add to thet these guys cant play spin atall...so its not just the problem with our teams !

I believe it is easier for a batsman who has developed his cricket in bouncier conditions which are bowler friendly to make the adjustment to the low and slow subcontinental wickets than it is the other way round.

The latter wickets are batsman-friendly but require an adjustment to attritional batsmanship. Batsman who are willing to ground it out and play the percentage shots will find that it is difficult for a bowler to dismiss them. The challenge is to score runs at a healthy pace on the slow, turgid surfaces. Whereas on the bouncier wickets subcontinental batsmen who have not had much experience in these conditions, may find it difficult to survive particularly if the ball is swinging or seaming.

One of the reasons behind Australia's success is the quality of their pitches. You will find different wickets at their test centres. Perth has traditionally been fast and bouncy, Sydney a turning wicket and the MCG a balance between bat and ball.

Saj said:
Watch this guy get found out this series.

Its ok making hundreds and hundreds of runs on featherbeds against a powderpuff attack, but lets see what he does in this series in Aus.

I agree and I just cannot see him succeeding. A batsman who is far to reliant on making runs by being fed poor deliveries.

The Aussies seem to have already worked him out. Keep it off his legs and just short of a length swinging away from off stump.

He's certainly not being fed the utter rubbish that our jokers (sorry bowlers) served up to him.

Saj said:
The Aussies seem to have already worked him out. Keep it off his legs and just short of a length swinging away from off stump.

He's certainly not being fed the utter rubbish that our jokers (sorry bowlers) served up to him.
spot on, our jokers made an aversge player look world class, and the other point is, y. singh, aus bowlers coming around the wicket to him, and bowling off stumpline and moving it away from him he seems to struggle to judge where his off stump is, the problem could get worse on the bouncier wickets of perth :11: :11: :11:

Seriously this guy is having some trouble out there :15: . I would prefer Sehwag over any of the both openers right now. Even Dravid isn´t suited to the opening slot.

jusarrived said:

no i think Moyo technique is similar to kumble's isn't it ?

Saj said:

0 and 3 in the recently concluded test match.

Short deliveries followed by a yorker in the first innings and then an away swinger edged to slip in the second innings.

4 times he's been dismissed in this series and all by Brett Lee - Brett's Bunny perhaps ?

It still pains me that an ordinary batsman like this was made to look like Don Bradman by our pathetic and thoughtless bowling attack.

Saj said:
It still pains me that an ordinary batsman like this was made to look like Don Bradman by our pathetic and thoughtless bowling attack.

Most definitely. I actually want to laugh at experts like Arun Lal, Rameez and Shiva who hailed him as the next big thing. Even Arafat exposed his technical faults in the third test by bowling in the right areas. I'm sure the presence of Gul and Asif in that series would have exposed Jaffer much earlier than the Australian tour.

the_game said:
Most definitely. I actually want to laugh at experts like Arun Lal, Rameez and Shiva who hailed him as the next big thing. Even Arafat exposed his technical faults in the third test by bowling in the right areas. I'm sure the presence of Gul and Asif in that series would have exposed Jaffer much earlier than the Australian tour.

Add to it Tony Greig who thinks India shouldn´t drop him at all and has predicted him to be their best batsman in 2008 :)) .

What ever happened to Wasim Jaffer?

What ever happened to Wasim Jaffer? He was a very good batsmen.

I still remember that 200 knock he made against Pakistan in Kolkata.

Technicle he was a good player.

Why was he discarded from the team though?

Last edited:
Like a few openers, Jaffer was an all or nothing scorer. The nothings started stacking up

I liked Jaffer though, he was a strong technician and old-fashioned opener, that blazing 200 was out of character. A good opener MashaAllah but I think India should move on

What ever happened to Wasim Jaffar? He was a very good batsmen.

I still remember that 200 knock he made against Pakistan in Kolkata.

Technicle he was a good player.

Why was he discarded from the team though?

Jaffer was another HTB- failed miserable overseas.....

But at the same time Sehwag had also not done anything good. BUt later on in the match where Sehwag made 300, Jaffar also made a score of 70, and in the later 2 games, both had such a terrible performance.

I hope Jaffar gets a call up

Didnt take all the chances offered to him, plus Gambhir came on to the scene and at 33 he aint a long term prospect anymore....

recently he was in the news for scoring the most runs in Ranji's?something like that.

I think the guy has two double centuries in very less games..very good batsman. But India just found better openers in sehwag and gautam....

Now a days, jaffer is poor even in domestic. Due his poor form, mumbai was kicked out.

Jaffer, Kaif, Pathan & Munaf all paid the price of being Muslims.

The only that may have a case of not receiving enough chances is Munaf. Kaif is a very limited batsman that does not belong in the Indian line up.

Pathan fell away dramatically.

Gambhir and Sewagh outperformed him while he is also a very limited batsman.

Considering the amount of chances Ishant Sharma, RP Singh and Vinay Kumar have gotten, and the strong form Pathan has been in domestically - plus he can bat! - I think he merits another go now.

Not going to argue with that but Marsh has to go. Mohammad Aamer developed quicker than Ishant Sharma. He is useless. RP Singh, like Pathan was once a golden boy who has deteriorate quickly.

Vinay Kumar has only had one test and I'll never understand why. He bowls at the pace of Collingwood and extracts no sideways movement from the pitch. He is one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen play test cricket. Reminded me of the Nkala/Brent type bowlers Zimbabwe used to play.

Jaffer, Kaif, Pathan & Munaf all paid the price of being Muslims.

people like these can bring the discussion from where to where....

Seriously.... Hate to say it but indian politics is also filled with people like these who can bring minority issue out of no where....

Sir_afridi, you'l have successful but dirty career in politics. Go for it.

I agree with @Sir Afridi, it is all because he was a MUSLIM.

If India had half decent fats bowler now, Zaheer Khan would also be kicked out. India is said to be a democratic country , but inside Muslims are stabbed in the back in every possible way.

Seriously

Was Pathan not a muslim when he was hailed as the next big thing....untill he lost form

Even kaif was a hero for a while...

Mohd azharudhin captained india for a decade for ffs...and was a national icon!!!

our world cup winning team has zaheer khan and munaf......

@ justcrazy

ya stabbed in the back!!! more often that not we have 2 to 3 muslims in indian side...and our entertainment industry is ruled by them..and our former president wtas a muslim before untill 2 yrs ago..

:facepalm: at how discussion gets derailed..

Last edited:
Seriously

Was Pathan not a muslim when he was hailed as the next big thing....untill he lost form

Even kaif was a hero for a while...

Mohd azharudhin captained india for a decade for ffs...and was a national icon!!!

our world cup winning team has zaheer khan and munaf......

@ justcrazy

ya stabbed in the back!!! more often that not we have 2 to 3 muslims in indian side...and our entertainment industry is ruled by them..and our former president wtas a muslim before untill 2 yrs ago..

:facepalm: at how discussion gets derailed..

Why do you even bother replying to those people? It's the same people that use India as the benchmark when discussing persecution of minorities in Pakistan.

A offtopic question. Is there 2 just crazy and 2 cricfan4eva in the forum?

I always see contradicting posts.

Averaged 9 in Aus and 25 vs SA before Gambhir got his chance and piled on the runs in 08-09.

Now he is 33 and has struglled with injuries and for batting form. A comeback looks difficult especially with much younger Rahane and Mukund coming through.

:)) Sir Afridi, you just pulled the trigger.

But honestly, Sehwag had not been doing anything good at the same time. Wasim Jaffar should again be selected! He was the highest scorer in Ranji's

:)) Sir Afridi, you just pulled the trigger.

But honestly, Sehwag had not been doing anything good at the same time. Wasim Jaffar should again be selected! He was the highest scorer in Ranji's

wrong information. Not this year. This year, he is in poor form even at home in flat pitches.

Well whather Jaffar was kicked out of the team for being a mulim or not, i don't know. But Kambli was kicked out of the team for being from a lower cast though.

December 22, 2011

Wasim Jaffer, the Mumbai captain, became the highest run-getter in the Ranji Trophy, surpassing his former team-mate Amol Muzumdar, who was present at the Wankhede Stadium as part of the commentary team and had just moved into the commentator's chair when his record was broken.

It was a typical Jaffer stroke that brought up the milestone after the drinks break in the second session on the second day. He went past Muzumdar's tournament tally of 8237 runs, and also reached his fifty, when he drove a flighted Rahul Sharma legbreak against the turn to the midwicket boundary. Jaffer acknowledged the standing ovation from the Mumbai dressing room and the applause from the handful of supporters with a raised bat. He calmly went back to the job at hand, that of earning Mumbai a big first-innings lead against Punjab.

Looking back on a prolific career, Jaffer said that right from his early days, he knew he would have to score consistently to keep his place in a strong side like Mumbai. "I got a triple-century in my second first-class game, against Saurashtra, and that certainly helped," he said. Jaffer maintained that winning the Ranji Trophy multiple times for Mumbai was what had given him more satisfaction than breaking the individual record.

Muzumdar told fellow commentator Ajay Mehra on air that it was fitting that a Mumbai batsman had broken the record held by a Mumbai batsman and hoped that Jaffer would go on to score thousands of more runs in his career. Though Muzumdar had gone past the erstwhile record-holder Amarjit Kaypee while playing for Assam, he was a permanent fixture in the Mumbai line-up for 16 years till he moved to the eastern state for two seasons in 2009.

Jaffer, who made his first-class debut at the Wankhede in 1996, has made all his Ranji runs playing for Mumbai, something he said he was proud of. He has also Mumbai led to two Ranji titles, and won the trophy on five other occasions.

Batsmen who scored more runs this season are from Rajasthan, that doesn't mean they deserve to be in the national squad.

Amol Mazumudar had the record for the most runs scored in the Ranji Trophy, but he never played for India.

Best batsman in Indian domestic circuit. Is he too old for our test team? I don't think so.

Amol Mazumdar is a very good batsman, he also plays domestic cricket in The Netherlands in the summers since two years.

Best batsman in Indian domestic circuit. Is he too old for our test team? I don't think so.

He's 34, if form, fitness and commitment permit him he easily has 4-5 years of intl. cricket left in him.
His 132 for the Ranji final, v Saurashtra

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JoiH7hCnCOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sports a nice beard too nowadays. :moyo

So Indian fans wanted Laxman to retire because he was 36 and wasn't in India's long term test plans and now are clamouring for Jaffers inclusion who is 35. What happened to youngsters should be given chance?

More over what has changed since he was last dropped, he was dropped because he was a failure abroad. Why not try out the likes of Dhawan/Mukund instead.

50th FC hundred for Wasim bhai, one of the nicest blokes to have played for India. Such a shame he couldn't do much outside India and ended his career with a mediocre 30sh test average despite hitting two double hundreds.

jaffer.jpg

Anyway, still glad he gets to captain Mumbai in FCs which is a big deal. He could tell his children, Tendulkar played under his captaincy for a while. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After 25 years of playing professional cricket, time has come to say goodbye. Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/BCCI?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BCCI</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MumbaiCricAssoc?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MumbaiCricAssoc</a>, VCA, my teammates, media and fans. This is my official statement. <a href="https://t.co/xP3wL4u70s">pic.twitter.com/xP3wL4u70s</a></p>— Wasim Jaffer (@WasimJaffer14) <a href="https://twitter.com/WasimJaffer14/status/1236196830779543552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 7, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Former India opener and Ranji Trophy legend Wasim Jaffer is on a roll. Unlike his nature, Wasim Jaffer is quite active on social media during his free time amid the coronavirus lockdown.

Days after naming his all-time 'IPL XI', 'ODI XI' and 'Mumbai XI', Wasim Jaffer on Monday named his 'Best T20I XI'.

To make the selection for 'Best T20 XI' more interesting, Ranji cricket's all-time highest run-scorer Wasim Jaffer selected all the players from different countries.

That also became the reason for the biggest surprise as VIrat Kohli, who would currently make into the playing XI of any team in the world, had to be dropped.

Jasprit Bumrah was chosen ahead of his captain in the squad as a specialist pacer alongside his Mumbai Indian teammate and Sri Lanka's T20I team captain Lasith Malinga.

Wasim Jaffer, 42, picked Australia's David Warner as the captain and opener of the team. He named World number 1 T20I batsman Babar Azam from Pakistan as his opening partner.

The next 2 slots were filled by New Zealand's charismatic captain Kane Williamson and former South Africa batsman AB de Villiers.

Wasim Jaffer had named MS Dhoni as the captain and wicketkeeper of his ODI XI and IPL XI but this time he decided to replace with destructive English batsman Jos Buttler.

Full points to Wasim Jaffer for choosing towering West Indian Andre Russell and Bangladesh's Shakib Al Hasan as the all-rounders in the playing XI. The only problem for Wasim Jaffer can be Shakib's unavailability to play because of his ongoing ban by the ICC.

Afghanistan's world's number 1 T20I bowler Rashid Khan made in into the list because of his deceiving spin bowling and also may be because he has started flourishing with the bat as well.

It's always good to see Nepal's teenage sensation Sandeep Lamichhane's name in any squad and thankfully he too made into the elite list as the youngest member of Wasim Jaffer's 'Best T20I XI'.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...id-khan-babar-azam-cricket-1669064-2020-04-20

In an Instagram live session on Wednesday, Jaffer revealed his list of fab-five batsmen and included Babar Azam in that list alongside the current fab four, which includes Steve Smith, Virat Kohli, Kane Williamson, and Joe Root.

"Kept Knocking The Door": Wasim Jaffer Says Came Close To International Comeback

Former India Test cricketer Wasim Jaffer reckons that the selectors would be the "best people" to answer why he was not able to make a comeback despite the runs that he racked up at the domestic level. Jaffer, an opening batsman, made his Test debut against South Africa in Mumbai in 2000. He scored four and six runs in the first and second innings respectively as India lost the match by four wickets. Jaffer's dream run came in 2007 when he smashed 838 runs in the calendar year registering three centuries in the longest format of the game.

"In 2012-13, I was very close to getting selected when Shikhar Dhawan got selected. So, I came very close a couple of times but somehow I missed the bus. The selectors are the best people who can answer that but I definitely kept knocking the door," said Jaffer at SportsTiger's show "Off the Field".

Jaffer, who has one of the best domestic records in Indian cricket with over 19,000 runs to his name playing in 260 first-class games at an average of 50.67 and the best score of 314, feels that he was not consistent enough especially at the international level.

"I wasn't that consistent. If I was, I would have played more than 100 Test matches. I was not that consistent at the international level that is why I got dropped," said Jaffer.

"I am famous for my first-class career more than the international cricket that I have played," he added.

Earlier this year, Jaffer announced his retirement from all forms of cricket, putting a hold on his two-decade-long cricketing career.

In 31 Tests, he scored 1944 runs at an average of 34.11 with 11 fifties and five centuries. He is one of the few Indian batsmen who has a double hundred in the West Indies. He made 212 against the hosts in St Lucia.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/kep...-came-close-to-international-comeback-2285007

Jaffer did an okay job for us in the 2 or 3 series he played but by the time 2013 came along he was clearly too old to be picked. Dhawan was the better bet in both formats - even though he failed in tests.

Former India cricketer Wasim Jaffer, who recently quit as Uttarakhand coach owing to a dispute with the state association, on Wednesday rejected allegations by the body’s officials that he tried to force religion-based selections in the team. Hailed as one of India’s greatest-ever domestic player – Jaffer, who played 31 Tests for India, said the charge that he favoured Muslim players, which was levelled by the Cricket Association of Uttarakhand secretary Mahim Verma in a media report, had caused him immense pain.

The 42-year-old Jaffer resigned on Tuesday citing “interference and bias of selectors and the association’s secretary for non-deserving players” as the reason. “…jo communal angle lagaya (the communal angle that has been brought up), that is very, very sad,” Jaffer said in a virtual press conference.

“They levelled an allegation that I am in favour of Iqbal Abdulla, I wanted to make Iqbal Abdulla as the captain, which is absolutely wrong,” he asserted.

“I was going to make Jay Bista the captain, but Rizwan Shamshad and the other selectors suggested that you make Iqbal the captain he is senior player, has played IPL and is much older…I agreed to their suggestion.”

The leading run-getter in Ranji Trophy also dismissed allegations that he brought Maulvis (Muslim religious scholars) to the team’s training.

“First of all they said the Maulavis came there in a bio-bubble and we offered Namaz. Let me tell you one thing, the Maulavi, Maulana, who came on two or three Fridays during the camp in Dehradun, I had not called him.

“It was Iqbal Abdulla (Uttarakhand player) who sought mine and the manager’s permission only for the Friday prayer,” he said referring to the 31-year-old all-rounder, who has competed in the IPL but hasn’t played for India yet.

According to Jaffer, prayers took place after the team’s training and he cannot understand why it has become an issue. “While we do our daily prayers in the room, the Friday prayers have to be done in a gathering so he thought it would be better if someone comes over to facilitate…And we did the namaz in the dressing room for five minutes after the nets.

“If I was communal, I could have adjusted the practice timings according to our prayer timings but that’s not the way I am,” he added.

“…what is a big thing in it, I don’t understand.”

Jaffer was appointed as the head coach of the state team in June 2020. He had signed a one-year contract with CAU.

Uttarakhand won only one out of their 5 matches in the recent Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...vis-to-offer-namaz-in-camp-in-dehradun-970044

Former India cricketer Wasim Jaffer, who recently quit as Uttarakhand coach owing to a dispute with the state association, on Wednesday rejected allegations by the body’s officials that he tried to force religion-based selections in the team. Hailed as one of India’s greatest-ever domestic player – Jaffer, who played 31 Tests for India, said the charge that he favoured Muslim players, which was levelled by the Cricket Association of Uttarakhand secretary Mahim Verma in a media report, had caused him immense pain.

The 42-year-old Jaffer resigned on Tuesday citing “interference and bias of selectors and the association’s secretary for non-deserving players” as the reason. “…jo communal angle lagaya (the communal angle that has been brought up), that is very, very sad,” Jaffer said in a virtual press conference.

“They levelled an allegation that I am in favour of Iqbal Abdulla, I wanted to make Iqbal Abdulla as the captain, which is absolutely wrong,” he asserted.

“I was going to make Jay Bista the captain, but Rizwan Shamshad and the other selectors suggested that you make Iqbal the captain he is senior player, has played IPL and is much older…I agreed to their suggestion.”

The leading run-getter in Ranji Trophy also dismissed allegations that he brought Maulvis (Muslim religious scholars) to the team’s training.

“First of all they said the Maulavis came there in a bio-bubble and we offered Namaz. Let me tell you one thing, the Maulavi, Maulana, who came on two or three Fridays during the camp in Dehradun, I had not called him.

“It was Iqbal Abdulla (Uttarakhand player) who sought mine and the manager’s permission only for the Friday prayer,” he said referring to the 31-year-old all-rounder, who has competed in the IPL but hasn’t played for India yet.

According to Jaffer, prayers took place after the team’s training and he cannot understand why it has become an issue. “While we do our daily prayers in the room, the Friday prayers have to be done in a gathering so he thought it would be better if someone comes over to facilitate…And we did the namaz in the dressing room for five minutes after the nets.

“If I was communal, I could have adjusted the practice timings according to our prayer timings but that’s not the way I am,” he added.

Jaffer was appointed as the head coach of the state team in June 2020. He had signed a one-year contract with CAU.

Uttarakhand won only one out of their 5 matches in the recent Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...vis-to-offer-namaz-in-camp-in-dehradun-970044

Anti-Muslim bigotry and hatred in India has gone to unprecedented levels.

Very depressing situation for Muslims in India, when even their domestic stalwart and such a cheerful & patriotic person, going by his twitter, has to face such ridicule

Poor is all i will say. Learn to get along and put pettiness behind you. I'm glad Wasim stood up for himself.

The problem is his name.

Every other reason is useless.

Back