"We don't have any question marks, we are clear on our XI" : Misbah-ul-Haq

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Kane Williamson, preparing to captain his country in a test at home for the first time, wants his players to put the Indian experience out of their minds.

New Zealand were well beaten 3-0 by India recently and have now been walloped in four successive tests, including one at Centurion against South Africa.

But Williamson wants his players to express themselves in the two-test series against Pakistan, starting tomorrow.

"When we do that, we play our best cricket and that will be the challenge for us," Williamson said.

"Coming off the back of losses is never nice. It can be in the back of the mind a little bit and the challenge is getting back on track with what you want to achieve."

He hadn't thought about his first home test as skipper.

"But it's about us as a group, sticking together after some tough series and applying what works for us, and being really positive."

Williamson had a word of praise for new test opener Jeet Raval, who will be making his debut tomorrow.

"Whenever you make your debut, there are some unknowns. But we've chatted. He's a great fellow, has been in the squad but certainly it's about not changing too much."

New Zealand won't settle on their final XI until they see the pitch tomorrow morning - it's very green today.

The two sticking points are which one of the four seamers - Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Neil Wagner or Matt Henry - drops out, and which allrounder - Jimmy Neesham or Colin de Grandhomme - is omitted. De Grandhomme would join Raval on debut if he makes the final cut.

Pakistan zoomed to No 1 in test rankings with their 2-2 draw against England in mid-year, then dropped a place when arch-rivals India climbed above them after beating New Zealand at home.

Still, veteran captain Misbah-ul-Haq is optimistic his side will be formidable opponents for a New Zealand side searching for success to kick start a busy home summer.

"It's new conditions and that's the biggest challenge for us," Misbah, 42, said today. "Most of our players have been here before and know the conditions are different from what we are used to, so we need to make sure we bat with discipline, put good scores on the board. Then our bowling is very capable of performing well in any conditions."

Misbah made it plain Pakistan have already settled on their XI for the test.

"We don't have any question marks. We are clear on what we are going to do with our XI."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11749195

Probably means Babar and Sohail Khan will play which makes sense.

Team management always overrate our bowling and it usually leaves a bad taste in the mouth when they fall well short of what is expected of them.

I would say our batting is more reliable than our bowling , yah there are some hiccups but not too frequent.

It will be...
Sami
Azhar
Asad
YK
Misbah
Babar
Sarfaraz
Amir
Yasir
Wahab
Sohail...

I just hope they stick to this line up esp from no 8 onwards.

I'd go with:

Azhar
Sami
Asad
YK
Misbah
Babar
Sarfraz
Amir
Wahab
Y Shah
Rahat

There is no way we can drop Yasir.

I know but lets assume its a green top, and Yasir gets hammered, however I am being too optimistic about Misbah's tactics I know he will go with 3 pacers and Yasir

I know but lets assume its a green top, and Yasir gets hammered, however I am being too optimistic about Misbah's tactics I know he will go with 3 pacers and Yasir

Gets hammered or not, we can't take the risk, and he will come good against a shaky NZ lineup, mark my words!

I was expecting to know the XIs by know but we are kept in suspense thanks to the weather. Really interested to see if Babar is playing or not.

Day 4 or 5 will not be a green pitch. It will be similar to Lord's Day 2 when Yasir went crazy.

Last edited:
You can't play 4 pacers if you're only going with 4 bowling options.

I think now with the rain having washed out the first day's play you can. Yasir will only be a holding bowler in these conditions. You can use Azhar/Shafiq for around 10 overs and attack with four bowlers. It won't burden them too much, especially since we have 4 quality pacers, in fact 5.

I think now with the rain having washed out the first day's play you can. Yasir will only be a holding bowler in these conditions. You can use Azhar/Shafiq for around 10 overs and attack with four bowlers. It won't burden them too much, especially since we have 4 quality pacers, in fact 5.
Our pacers are far from "quality".

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] I wouldn't take these comments with a pinch of salt, only way I see some changes being made for AUS is if NZ give pak a rude awakening. Asifs return is unlikely.

Our pacers are far from "quality".

They are far better than the current 3/4 option available to countries like Aus, NZ, India, WI. SA are the only side with possibly 5 good pacers. Other teams, other than pakistan don't have that luxury. Even England, after Anderson, Broad, Woakes don't have guys who can come in and lead an attack.

Pakistan could actually afford to rest Amir and Wahab in the second test and still have Rahat and Sohail step in and do well so in that regard, the depth is there.

Wonder if the rain has changed his choice?

There is no chance your best bowler gets dropped. Yasir will cause plenty of problems on any wicket vs the NZ batsmen.

Back