What it means for domestic players to play a premier league overseas

Executioner

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
BPL matches will begin for tomorrow and I am excited. This league means a lot for our local players: Youths, domestic talents, fringe players all rely on this league to show their metals. A lot of foreigners also have taken part in this league.

However, one thing I have noticed is the interest level among domestic cricketers overseas. No I am not talking about Gayle, Sanga, I am talking about those players who aren't near national selection and/or not recieved national cap yet. I have followed the activity of these players and what I have seen is that they are very much excited to be a part of BPL. While the quality of BPL is rather low, these players seem very much excited to just be a part of it. Not only the cricket, they loved the environment, the enthusiasm circling around them which they never got playing domestic cricket back home, and basically all the hospitality they have recieved from the franchises.

The likes of Malan, Kesrick William, Liam Dawson, Benny Howell, Tymal mills have been picked by the franchises and so far they looked rather excited about taking part. Many of them have/will play in PSL as well. IPL too has its fair share of domestic players unheard of in the international arena.

I have heard a lot of comments from fans who want their players to stay in the domestics and grind. But when you look at what these players get by playing abroad, you have got to feel happy for them. Playing high profile leagues around the world is a great experience. I hope that boards are more lenient when it comes to accepting these stints by their respective players.

Let's be honest. A lot of these leagues are just about the money.

Most, if not all T20 players around the world go from team to team just thinking about the money going into the bank.

There is no loyalty, it's just a business.

Most, if not all T20 players around the world go from team to team just thinking about the money going into the bank.

Ofcourse money is involved no point of loyalty. Money is the biggest motivator

But what I am saying is that besides the money, its a fantastic oppurtunity for some of the players. Someone like Jason Roy played in the BPL. Infact Jos Butler was supposed to play in the inaugural edition but was later picked for A team. Obviously money is a big motivator, but a league like BPL doesn't pay that much. It will pay more once BCB expands the venues and brings gradual improvement.

The same can be said about all professional sports franchisees around world, including Man U, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Cubs etc. etc.

One can't fault sportsmen for wanting to secure their financial future. The thing that is mystifying is that fans root for these teams and spend their money on them.

For domestic English, Aussie or Indian players what BPL pays isn't much, apart from money I guess it's an exciting opportunity for some of these players to play in those nations where they will never tour as part of their national teams.

I guess at least a bit of their professional void is temporarily filled by travelling and playing the game they love.

Great learning experience and why progressive Boards like ECB actively encourage the up and coming/not quite there yet talent to take these opportunities

Back