"When Shahid Afridi scuffed the pitch in 2005, that was on my telling him to do it" : Younis Khan

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"When Shahid Afridi scuffed the pitch in 2005, that was on my telling him to do it" : Younis Khan

Younis Khan speaking on TV:

"When I came to West Indies, we were in a camp and I saw in the youngsters' eyes that they were thinking 'why are you leaving Younis bhai, we need you for another year or two'. I was very happy that they didn't say 'why arent you going', that's the important thing for me. The send-off that I got, I don't think it could have been any better."

"We need to take care of the players. Look at the system of the other sports as well, they're all in a bad state and cricket is so and so as well."

"When I became captain in 2009, I got full captaincy responsibility. I began to change, I was away from my best mates in the team and there were arguments with the selectors and chairman."

"At that time we had limits to the phone calls we could make so I spent 8-10 lakh rupees on phone calls in just 4-5 months just in my attempts make this team stand up. I was on tours and talking to selectors and the management etc. In six months my team won the World T20 and in another six months I was given a life ban."

"I wish that my hearing after the ban in front of the PCB at NCA is aired someday. They took statements from their own employees that Younis Khan shouldn't be in the team, no reason given."

"I was in Karachi when we saw the news, my brothers were shocked and were asking what's going to happen now. I said nothing will happen, insha'Allah the ban will be removed in six months as they have nothing on me. I had given them a hard time since a few months and this was their way of getting back at me."

"I attended each and every meeting with my lawyer. In the 2nd or 3rd week, they came up with the accusation that I left my team without informing them. I had asked the Chairman!"

"They accused me of benching players based on my dislikes. There were three people in charge of selection, the chief selector, manager and captain, all three had equal say."

"They said I deliberately underperformed. Everyone can see my record from my first match to the last."

"This is what I faced and eventually there was so much pressure on them that after 3 months they said I need to pay a 50K rs. fine and the ban will be removed. I said no, I will only come under your hands if I had made a mistake. The ban went on for another month but I was then back in the team after that."

"Regarding Kamran Akmal's missed chances in Sydney Test, these things happen when players are under so much pressure. If there is any suspicion, why has he come back to the team so often, even recently? If there is evidence against him then it should be brought out in the open otherwise the matter should be left alone."

"Ball tampering happens, people do it in different ways. England and Australia use a gum or a sweet to shine the ball. Du Plessis did it with his zipper and even Sachin was once doing it with his nails but these things weren't paid much attention to because of the strong cricket boards."

"If any extreme or obvious tampering is done, it should be stopped so that future generations and the kids know it's wrong."

"Regarding the Mohali match, Misbah-ul-Haq has always played with the same style since he became captain in 2010. He didn't change his style or his batting position. If you say that he played slowly, he just played how he always does. People say the same thing about me, people said that I take time. But that's not a new thing, that's how it's always been since the start of my career."

"The 3-4 days before the Mohali match we did intense practice in the morning, afternoon and evening. People say I am super-fit but that day even I had no strength left. Due to the pressure, we did too much before the game and then it was too much to handle during the match and we buckled under the pressure."

"I have never been approached my fixers. The reason for that is that when I leave the ground, I keep out of the picture. Where does fixing start from? We're educated about it, that it starts from traps and plots from approaches. When I started playing cricket, I felt that I want to represent my country well and my family is behind me. Even if I wanted to do anything funny, I have a family and how will I face them after that? I still live in the same place where I did when I first came to Karachi 30 years ago. I knew that if my name ever comes up in match-fixing or there's a picture taken of me dancing in some club, or if I was spotted sitting with some girl in a lobby, I will be in trouble and won't be able to face my relatives. I never got any offers at all from fixers."

"During a series against SL after WT20 2009, I did file a complaint. When we stay in hotels in Asian countries, normally no one else besides the players are on the floor of the hotel where we're staying, that's the protocol. On that tour of SL, there were some Indians staying in front of me, they exchanged salam duas all the time. I felt they were a little dodgy. I was the captain so I told the manager and coach that there are some Indians on the floor who should be monitored."

"Some journalist in Islamabad made up news that I met with some bookies and had dinner. I was the one who complained, and I was accused! So I have always tried to stay with my family and team mates and the lesser I go out in public, the less I am likely to encounter such scenarios."

Q/A session

Best captain out of Wasim/Afridi/Misbah: "Wasim"

Team's spoilt child: "Not spoilt but a bit of a show-off - Ahmed Shehzad."

Moyo or Inzi: "Inzamam"

Waqar or Wasim: "Wasim"

Misbah or IK: "By stats, Misbah has amazing achievements and we became #1 but IK was a great captain. He was a big perfomer, positive and was an aggressive leader."

Has the Pak team become defensive: "Yes, I think so. This is from both the board and Misbah. PCB likes captains who willingly agree with them and do things. I wasn't captain for a longer period as I had some different thoughts of my own, wanting some specific players. I was too aggressive. I think PCB and Misbah however had a very good understanding."

Do you get along with Afridi: "I always got along with him as he was like a brother. We had some fights also but there was never a time when I had any enmity for him or him for me."

Imran Khan or Nawaz Sharif: "Imran Khan."

One good thing about Sethi: "He wants to bring about change."

One bad thing about Sethi: "He is always in front, he should be behind the scenes."

Favourite cricketer: "I always followed Imran Khan but as a batsman, Brian Lara was the most unique."

Most difficult bowler: "Murali was a bowler who it was difficult to face and I enjoyed success against him but with the white ball, I couldn't read all his variations so I would prefer not to face him."

Favourite match: "My first ODI against SL. I have always wanted to have a video of that match and couldn't get it but just recently someone uploaded it and I watch with a lot of enjoyment."

Match to forget, nightmare: "The match against Ireland in the 2007 WC, and Bob Woolmer's death after that. All the time he was with us, I would sit with him after the match and we would motivate eachother, we were very close. The Ireland match was the first match where after it, we went to our own rooms and the next morning I found out he passed away. Those few days are some of the worst and toughest moments of my life."

Toughest captain: "When Moin Khan was captain, I was scolded for the first time. We were playing against India at Sharjah. Kumble was bowling so I went to join Moin Khan in the middle. He told me not to cut him and the first ball I faced, I inside edged it cutting and played on. I went quietly to the dressing room and Moin Khan after the match found me and scolded me. That was the first time I was scolded while playing cricket."

Who did you scold most: "I scolded everyone, specially Ahmed Shehzad. When he came in the team I wanted him to achieve a lot for Pakistan, I felt he can do something. He failed a few times so I used to scold and lecture him. I scolded Afridi sometimes and he scolded me also."

Funniest moments: "Once in Pakistan there was a match against NZ. Their last wicket was left so I use to chew gum and I stuck it on the wicket camera. I was wondering why I did that. After the match the match referee called me and I apologised etc."

(Laughing) "During the match against England at Faisalabad when Afridi scuffed the pitch with his spikes, that was on my telling him to do it. He asked me "Lala ghoom jao" so I said "Lala ghoom jao"! I remember all the blame came on him but if you ask him, he will tell you I told him to do it! I didn't even realise that the camera was exactly on the pitch at the time. We humans make these kind of mistakes sometimes."

Highest point of career: "When I became captain in 2008 it was a difficult time because we lost the ODI series against SL. In the first Test match we lost the toss and they made 400 on Day 1. When our batting came on Day 2, they had piled up 700. I was #3 and with 11 balls to go in the day, I came in to bat instead of sending a nightwatchman. I batted through day 3 and 4 and got out on day 5 after making 313. That was the high point of my career."

Apparently he is referring to Waqar who made them overtrain before a cricket match... I guess its true Waqar was the hard task master he was rumored to have been, which irked alot of players seniors and juniors

waqae ovwetrained him.misbah defensive captaincy and big fan of imran..love this guy..

It was good to watch the interview...there are emotions and expressions which cannot be described here.

Did he volunteer to pay the fine and suffer the ban on Afridi's behalf? If not then he is not the smiling team man

"The 3-4 days before the Mohali match we did intense practice in the morning, afternoon and evening. People say I am super-fit but that day even I had no strength left. Due to the pressure, we did too much before the game and then it was too much to handle during the match and we buckled under the pressure."

Who was the coach at the time? Proof of the Coaches _ nature.

Apparently he is referring to Waqar who made them overtrain before a cricket match... I guess its true Waqar was the hard task master he was rumored to have been, which irked alot of players seniors and juniors

Only one word is perfectly apt to describe Waqar, everyone knows what it is

Only one word is perfectly apt to describe Waqar, everyone knows what it is

Yes, I guess Waqar deserves some critcism for being a hard task master, this sort of fitness might work for fast bowlers who have to bowl day in day out, but maybe batsmen require different training regimen to the bowlers..

However he deserves alot of credit for bringing the bowlers into shape especially in 2015 World Cup, where an average bunch of bowlers did well.. the same cannot be said for our batting

Yes, I guess Waqar deserves some critcism for being a hard task master, this sort of fitness might work for fast bowlers who have to bowl day in day out, but maybe batsmen require different training regimen to the bowlers..

However he deserves alot of credit for bringing the bowlers into shape especially in 2015 World Cup, where an average bunch of bowlers did well.. the same cannot be said for our batting

This is not appropriate for fast bowlers either, can lead to energy sapping, exhaustion and injuries.

the list of aggressive captains after Imran Khan is very short:

Imran Khan --> Wasim --> YK --> Sarfraz

Fitness is over-rated :D

Who did you scold most: "I scolded everyone, specially Ahmed Shehzad. When he came in the team I wanted him to achieve a lot for Pakistan, I felt he can do something. He failed a few times so I used to scold and lecture him. I scolded Afridi sometimes and he scolded me also."

I wish Shehzad could listen. He can be an excellent opener IF HE DOES.

You benched MoYo in first odi of the series, then you benched Umer and Malik. Incident ly these three were the best performaning batsmen at that time.

MoYo was furious and fought with inti, though it was all YK's politics.
(YK is so self centered simple minded person that he just "forgot" all this)

It was a huge un justice that he played t20 and ODI's for Pakistan.

He was just the burden on the team, Gul, Kami, Afridi and Malik won us the T20 WC, and most of the players actually hated him. And if you ask that team in private, they most likely will label YK the worst captain ever.

Who was the coach at the time? Proof of the Coaches _ nature.

The difference between a professional coach (Arthur) and an unprofessional coach coasting on his playing reputation (Waqar) is night and day.

This is not appropriate for fast bowlers either, can lead to energy sapping, exhaustion and injuries.

You can call what you like, but our average bunch of fast bowlers made to the highest wicket taking bowlers list, and there were atleast 3 Pakistanis with 10 wickets or so in the tournament... with Wahab topping the charts with 15

including the fact that average bowlers like Rahat Ali and Imran Khan Jr ended up with 4'fers and 5'fer respecively against Australia and Srilanka in flat patta wickets is what Waqar ended up doing as a coach for Pakistan...

You benched MoYo in first odi of the series, then you benched Umer and Malik. Incident ly these three were the best performaning batsmen at that time.

He was just the burden on the team, Gul, Kami, Afridi and Malik won us the T20 WC, and most of the players actually hated him. And if you ask that team in private, they most likely will label YK the worst captain ever.

If you watched the England vs Pakistan ODI series, Yousuf and Shoaib were labelled the 'old man' plenty of times in the commentary box, and called names like this man looks like he is about to fall down any moment... which is an embarrasment to fitness levels Internationally..

I think Yousuf was past his prime when he played for England so Younis was right on that call

Last edited:
Afridi is a true homie to his Pakhtoon brothers. He took the label of Cheat upon himself all these years without snaking out Younis Khan who asked him to do it.

The Mohali thing sounds absolutely ridiculous if true.

Sounds like the coach/management are more to blame. Even in the highest fitness sport, players don't really go hard before a major SF/final. Its always relaxed.

As much as I don't like YK the limited overs batsman, he was anything but a burden in the 2009 T20 WC campaign. Pulling things out of thin air to make your favorites is one thing but to deny YK's contribution as the batsman in 2009 WC is just plain wrong!

You should look at the numbers and advise how is he a burden wehn he has the highest average, 3rd highest runs (3rd on list but played one less innings than Afridi who only had 4 more runs thn YK), and almost the highest SR (2nd in the team) as well?

Pakistan batting averages
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
Younis Khan 7 6 3 172 50 57.33 123 139.83 0 1 0 11 3
Shahid Afridi 7 7 2 176 54* 35.20 125 140.80 0 2 1 16 3
Abdul Razzaq 4 3 2 32 15* 32.00 32 100.00 0 0 0 0 1
Shoaib Malik 7 7 2 144 34 28.80 140 102.85 0 0 0 12 0
Misbah-ul-Haq 7 4 1 82 31* 27.33 70 117.14 0 0 0 4 2
Kamran Akmal 7 7 0 188 57 26.85 150 125.33 0 1 0 15 7
Shahzaib Hasan 4 4 0 77 35 19.25 72 106.94 0 0 1 10 3
Salman Butt 3 3 0 46 28 15.33 39 117.94 0 0 1 7 1
Fawad Alam 6 2 1 15 12 15.00 13 115.38 0 0 0 1 0
Ahmed Shehzad 1 1 0 4 4 4.00 7 57.14 0 0 0 0 0

Poor Coaching by Waqar. The number 1 rule of Coaching. 'Never tire your players before the big match'

Absolute legend. Only Pakistani fans would talk trash about someone whose always represented their country with honor and has countless contributions to the one sport their countrymen care about. But lets keep trashing him because that's the best we can give to our highest test run scorer.

The Mohali thing sounds absolutely ridiculous if true.

Sounds like the coach/management are more to blame. Even in the highest fitness sport, players don't really go hard before a major SF/final. Its always relaxed.

Knowing this guy he is exaggerating it to mask his own failings that day

They dropped sachin 4 times in that match could be because of overtraining.

Have seen photos of players using boxing gloves and punching during practices , not sure why it is used in cricket training especially before the match.
Compared to the CT final, were more relaxed by virtue of professional coaches like MA, SR

If fitness was an issue why were we better in the field than our batting innings? People just love to put all the blame on an easy target (Waqar here).

Don't know how Malik won us T20 WC 2009?

Don't know how Malik won us T20 WC 2009?

Post # 26 has all the info but now BZ is no where to be found when stats (without manipulation) have been presented and his boy has been proven a dudd throughout the tournament; even a perceived failure (in T20's) like YK has him beat in almost every category despite playing less innings and having faced less balls!

Back