Which side will win the 3-match T20I series between Afghanistan and Pakistan?

Which side will win the 3-match T20I series between Afghanistan and Pakistan?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Let me assure you Afghanistan are taking this very very seriously...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AfghanAtalan are ready to take the field with fierce determination and unwavering passion. They will leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of victory and pride for the nation. Get ready for a trilling T20I series. 🏏🤩⚡<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AfghanAtalan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AfghanAtalan</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AFGvPAK2023?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AFGvPAK2023</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LobaBaRangRawri?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LobaBaRangRawri</a> <a href="https://t.co/OCjMXbggOv">pic.twitter.com/OCjMXbggOv</a></p>— Afghanistan Cricket Board (@ACBofficials) <a href="https://twitter.com/ACBofficials/status/1637839091436847106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 20, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pakistan have a newish squad, Afghanistan have Rashid Khan!

Predictions?

afghanistan been training there for the last 10 days, i am gonna back them to play good cricket.

if the series is tight, it can become a new cricket rivalry.

Very beautiful video posted in op.

For those of you who do not know. Afghan cricket was started by two guys, Allahdad Noori and Taj Malik. Both these guys did not look each other in the eye. Both made their own cricket federation, but it was Allahdad Noori's that was accepted by ICC.

Both kept on infighting till it was decided that Allahdad would run things and Taj Malik would coach the team. From WCL 5 till 4 and till 3, Taj Malik coached the team. I dont remember correctly, but it was after WCL 3 that Kabir Khan took over as coach or maybe it was WCL 2.

Anyways, in the video they are showing both Taj Malik and Allahdad Noori embracing each other :)

Doesn’t matter who wins.

A big slap on the face of Australia Cricket Board.

afghanistan been training there for the last 10 days, i am gonna back them to play good cricket.

It will never become a rivalry.T20 is not real cricket.It is for fun.BD white washed England in T20.Is this going to become a new rivalry.Ireland also have beaten England

Since it is a depleted Pakistani side, I think Afghans may win a game or two.

It can go 2-1 either way. Pakistan are slightly more favorites.

Not really a rivalry if Pak are sending their reserves…

I’m less concerned about the result than I am about who plays.

I don’t need to see Shan or Ifti in any game, I want to see a top 3 of Haris, Saim and Shafique. I want to see Tayyab given atleast 2 games at 4 and I want to see Azam in every game.

Similarly, I want to see Zaman and Ihsanullah in all three games.

That’s what I want

I don’t need to see Shan or Ifti in any game, I want to see a top 3 of Haris, Saim and Shafique. I want to see Tayyab given atleast 2 games at 4 and I want to see Azam in every game.

That’s what I want

You can’t get rid of Shan as he is the ultra parchi of the parchies.

Even Shahid Afridi indicated it recently, very subtly but very effectively. (There is a video out there).

And chacha is there due to idiocy and lack of confidence among the selectors - They are trying to gamble by beating the junk out of a dead horse based on those 6 sixes against Wahab.

2-1 to Afghanistan.

The newbies may fire individually but collectively they'll find it hard to overcome a pretty decent and motivated Afghanistan side.

Given this is a Pakistan C team the results shouldn't matter too much. It is more about seeing what guys like Saim, Haris and Ihsanullah can do given a run of games.

If they are serious about backing these talented youngsters then the result doesn't matter.

Having said that, gotta back the boys for a 2-1 win.

If they are serious about backing these talented youngsters then the result doesn't matter.

Having said that, gotta back the boys for a 2-1 win.

I lean more towards this one too even though it will be disappointing and frustrating to take the loss from Afghanis against whom, I guess, we never lost a T20 game.

Kabul, March 21, 2023: Afghanistan Cricket Board’s Selection Committee today named a 17-member National squad for the home three-match T20I series against Pakistan, which will be played from 24 to 27 March in Sharjah.

Tall left-handed opener Sediqullah Atal has been added to the squad. He could be a potential debutant for Afghanistan in the series. In addition, senior all-rounder Mohammad Nabi, who led Afghanistan at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup last year, has been recalled to the squad.

Nijat Masoud and Zahir Khan who were part of the Afghanistan squad during the UAE tour last month have been kept as reserves, whereas Rahmat Shah and Hazratullah Zazai have been dropped from the squad.

ACB CEO Mr. Naseeb Khan: “Our team has been working hard in training camp and selectors have selected the best available players for the series. I am confident that our team will perform at their best and make our nation proud. We wish our team the best of luck for the series and hope to see them emerge victorious.”

“In addition, we look forward to an exciting competition between two great teams. Both nations have passionate fans who support their teams with enthusiasm and pride. As neighbors, we have a special bond and we hope to showcase not only our cricketing skills but also the spirit of friendship and sportsmanship. We wish both teams the best of luck and hope that cricket fans around the world will enjoy the games.” He added.

Afghanistan Squad: Rashid Khan (C), Rahmanullah Gurbaz (WK), Ibrahim Zadran, Usman Ghani, Sediqullah Atal, Najibullah Zadran, Afsar Zazai, Karim Janat, Mohammad Nabi, Azmatullah Omarzai, Gulbadin Naib, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Noor Ahmad, Mujeeb Ur Rehman, Fareed Ahmad, Fazal Haq Farooqi and Naveen Ul Haq.

Reserve players include Nangyal Kharoti, Zahir Khan and Nijat Masoud.

Series Schedule

24th March – 1st T20I, Sharjah Cricket Stadium, UAE

26th March – 2nd T20I, Sharjah Cricket Stadium, UAE

27th March – 3rd T20I, Sharjah Cricket Stadium, UAE

https://cricket.af/post/acb-name-squad-for-home-series-against-pakistan

That’s what I want

Yes

And I want this too in the 5 match NZ series as well

As Pakistan has quite a few new faces and some of the big guns are rested, so captaincy of Shadab will be extremely important to form that unity in the team to perform as a unit.

Afghanistan is real solid T20 outfit on paper now a days especially in UAE and sub continent so its gonna be a contest I believe.

Pak should win 2-1 but, as said captaincy and approach with this new Pak team would be extremely important for them to perform upto their potential

Abdul Rahman - Pakistan Head Coach:

"The senior players are big names, but our young players are also the best. We have good players in every department. Shadab Khan, Naseem Khan, and young players are all our trump cards. In the absence of our senior players, young cricketers will try to fill their place. Senior players joining the coaching staff is also very good for me. We will try to do well in this series"

"All the young players have played together with me at one point or another; it won't take long to gel with them. I am positive that the result will be good. We will make a team combination after seeing the conditions of Sharjah; we will make a team in consultation with everyone"

Can't believe some 'fans' are not bothered about the result or even backing Afg to win. :facepalm:

Each to their own and all that. Afg have a decent T20 team and will have the best bowler on show if Rashid Khan is playing.

We should win this, perhaps not comfortably but still too much for the Afghans.

I would go with this Pak XI for the first T20I:

1) Saim Ayub
2) Mohammad Haris
3) Abdullah Shafique
4) Azam Khan (WK)
5) Iftikhar Ahmed
6) Imad Wasim
7) Shadab Khan (C)
8) Mohammad Nawaz/ Faheem Ashraf
9) Naseem Shah
10) Ihsanullah
11) Zaman Khan

Abdul Rahman - Pakistan Head Coach:

"The senior players are big names, but our young players are also the best. We have good players in every department. Shadab Khan, Naseem Khan, and young players are all our trump cards. In the absence of our senior players, young cricketers will try to fill their place. Senior players joining the coaching staff is also very good for me. We will try to do well in this series"

"All the young players have played together with me at one point or another; it won't take long to gel with them. I am positive that the result will be good. We will make a team combination after seeing the conditions of Sharjah; we will make a team in consultation with everyone"

Good comments from Abdul Rehman. Opportunity for him as well to make a name for him at the top level after being a top coach for so many years at domestic level.

That’s what I want

Agreed about Shan as not sure at this age what exactly Pakistan cricket team is trying to extract out of him for future.

Regarding Iftikhar, I believe as Abdul Rehman has coached him and has seen him perform under him so that might play in his favor. Also not sure if Tayyab is comfortable at 4 or 5, I personally like his approach and wrist work.

Agreed about Shan as not sure at this age what exactly Pakistan cricket team is trying to extract out of him for future.

Regarding Iftikhar, I believe as Abdul Rehman has coached him and has seen him perform under him so that might play in his favor. Also not sure if Tayyab is comfortable at 4 or 5, I personally like his approach and wrist work.

In an ideal world, a rejuvenated in form Haider Ali can be a good number 4.

Agree on Ifti featuring because of the Abdul Rehman factor, but he’s going to find it difficult on these spinning tracks in Sharjah.

Can't believe some 'fans' are not bothered about the result or even backing Afg to win. :facepalm:

Each to their own and all that. Afg have a decent T20 team and will have the best bowler on show if Rashid Khan is playing.

It’s a series with almost no stakes. Both teams will comfortably qualify for the WI T20 World Cup, which is not a good time. Within that context, player development, and experimentation precedes winning now.

We haven't comfortably won a match against Afg since that 2012 one off ODI. All other matches have been tough wins.

We haven't comfortably won a match against Afg since that 2012 one off ODI. All other matches have been tough wins.

Yeah, I didn't say it would be, some have been close due to our own mistakes but still haven't lost to them.

It’s a series with almost no stakes. Both teams will comfortably qualify for the WI T20 World Cup, which is not a good time. Within that context, player development, and experimentation precedes winning now.

Not for me it doesn't, I'll always want the men in green to win no matter the circumstances. Call me staunch if you like but this team is still picked to win.

I think Afganistan are slight favourites.I would go with this line up.

Saim Ayub
Muhammed Haris
Abdullah Shafique
Tayyab Tahir
Azam Khan
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Nawaz
Naseem Shah
Ihsanullah
Zaman Khan

I expect Azam Khan to do well here and Pakistan to win this 2-1

Pakistan to clean sweep the series without a doubt 3- 0

Rashid khan is the only real threat for the afghans. Mujeeb went for plenty in some PSL games.

There Batting is reckless and will only come off if someone has a cracker. Highly unlikely against our attack over 3 games.

My PK X1 for First Game

Saim
Abdullah
Mr 360
Azam (WK)
Ifti
Imad
Shadab
Faheem
Nawaz
Zaman
Ihsanullah

Naseem / wasim Jr rotated with Shan and tayyab to play last game of the series so everybody gets a game.

Haris is the only Pak batter I saw in PSL 8 really give Rashid the treatment. If he can hog the strike and reproduce that, we should be golden.

Pakistan and Afghanistan are all set to play their first-ever three-match bilateral T20I series, which commences with the first game at Sharjah Cricket Stadium tomorrow. The head-to-head record in this format reads in Pakistan’s favour as they have emerged victorious in all of their three T20Is against neighbouring Afghanistan.

Pakistan, currently ranked No. 3 in the ICC T20I Team Rankings, will be led by dynamic all-rounder Shadab Khan in the absence of Babar Azam, who has been rested for the series. Shadab will be captaining a young Pakistan side, which includes as many as four uncapped players in Ihsanullah, Saim Ayub, Tayyab Tahir and Zaman Khan – all of whom have been rewarded for their stellar showings in the domestic circuit and HBL PSL 8.

The series marks Pakistan’s first T20I assignment since their T20 World Cup campaign in Australia last year, where they finished the tournament as the runners-up. Shadab Khan, while speaking to PCB Digital on the eve of the series opener, looked forward to the challenge of facing Rashid Khan-captained Afghanistan and vowed to adopt an aggressive approach.

Shadab: “I try to play an aggressive and attacking brand of cricket. Modern-day cricket demands you to be fearless as a captain. Afghanistan players have a lot of experience of playing in leagues around the globe. They are a formidable unit in these conditions and we will see a competitive series with our exciting young side.”

“The uncapped players in our squad have earned their call-ups given their consistent performances in domestic cricket and impactful displays in the HBL Pakistan Super League. We also have in-form senior players making a comeback to the side and this augurs well for the team.”

Pakistan T20I squad for Afghanistan series:

Shadab Khan (c), Abdullah Shafique, Azam Khan (wk), Faheem Ashraf, Iftikhar Ahmed, Ihsanullah, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Haris (wk), Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Shan Masood, Tayyab Tahir and Zaman Khan.

Afghanistan T20I series Itinerary:

24 March – First T20I at Sharjah Cricket Stadium

26 March – Second T20I at Sharjah Cricket Stadium

27 March – Third T20I at Sharjah Cricket Stadium

Both captains photographed with the trophy - interesting design, seems to be a mini Afghan carpet in a frame.

vmkiPuw.png

Videos of practice

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="j3BRP0i"><a href="https://imgur.com/j3BRP0i">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="CjSdXC9"><a href="https://imgur.com/CjSdXC9">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="eumnlza"><a href="https://imgur.com/eumnlza">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="uSR0NZ0"><a href="https://imgur.com/uSR0NZ0">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="MWGbj2I"><a href="https://imgur.com/MWGbj2I">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Both captains photographed with the trophy - interesting design, seems to be a mini Afghan carpet in a frame.

vmkiPuw.png

That trophy must have been made in a hurry, not much professional touch there. (referring to the text on the carpet/frame)

Easy win for Pakistan. Outside of Rahmanullah, Afg batting is nothing to worry about.
I am expecting a one sided series.

Looks to me like Azam Khan is being left out of a lot of the pre-match PR.

His weight issue will look even more dramatic in these types of images and is being managed carefully.

Even disgraceful players like Sharjeel used to look huge compared to the rest of the team. Azam is on another level.

Our matches against Afghanistan all follow the same patterm:

1. We dominate the game and are in control about 75% of the way through.
2. We have a series of brain farts.
3. Afghanistan get their tails up and pull off some excellent cricket.
4. About 95% through the game Afghanistan are in complete control.
5. Afghanistan get too worked up and over excited.
6. We win the game right at the death.

Eventually that last bit won't happen. It's just the law of averages.

I expect we will lose at least one game in this series, maybe even lose the series.

Wow, they’ve literally picked the perfect team possible here:

Good start here from Shaddy and Coach Abdul Rehman:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="in" dir="ltr">Pakistan XI for first Afghanistan T20I: Saim Ayub, Mohammad Haris, Abdullah Shafique, Tayyab Tahir, Shadab Khan (c), Azam Khan (wk), Faheem Ashraf, Imad Wasim, Naseem Shah, Zaman Khan and Ihsanullah <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AFGvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AFGvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1639199858216058880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 24, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:
afghanistan has very weak bowling with no other pace with fazalhaq.

Still would be supporting them to beat us.

Wow. Very pleasantly surprised at the line up that has been selected.

I'm not sure if we'll win the series but i'm hopeful we'll make some breakthroughs in team selection.

I would prefer Saim to open and Babar to come at 3. InshaAllah the lefty will do well in this series.

So are Pakistani fans mentally ready for a series defeat in the name of progress?

Will be a true test.

So are Pakistani fans mentally ready for a series defeat in the name of progress?

Will be a true test.

Anybody who is objective will concentrate on the gains made from the experience given to the young players and returning faces. Those who carry about the result may be doing so in bad faith, because this series just does not matter results wise.

Will be a true test.

We were mentally ready for a World Cup humiliation in the name of success

Why would this mentally dent us?

This Pak side should decimate Afghans. There is no fear of losing and got some real good future talents.

2-1 to Afghanistan.

The newbies may fire individually but collectively they'll find it hard to overcome a pretty decent and motivated Afghanistan side.

Given this is a Pakistan C team the results shouldn't matter too much. It is more about seeing what guys like Saim, Haris and Ihsanullah can do given a run of games.

How is this a Pakistan C team?

If Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Rauf get injured, the ones who are selected currently are the replacements anyways. So it's a Pakistan A team. A Pakistani C team would mean the likes of Tahir Baig, Abbas Afridi, Hussain Talat being played.

Playing Babar and Rizwan against Rashid Khan makes no difference even if you have Pak Z team playing

They can’t buy a run off him

I'm excited to see how Pakistan does during the powerplay overs.

How is this a Pakistan C team?

If Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Rauf get injured, the ones who are selected currently are the replacements anyways. So it's a Pakistan A team. A Pakistani C team would mean the likes of Tahir Baig, Abbas Afridi, Hussain Talat being played.

Exactly that.

Pakistan in danger of losing this series but still feel final will be 1-2 in Pak favour

Afghanistan have already won, beating Pakistan even in one game is deeply pathetic. I never thought I’d see the day where fans are sugar coating this loss, over Afghanistan…doesn’t matter who is on the team sheet really, I think it’s clear the fans are supporters of certain players opposed to the actual team, just seeing their favourites in the XI is enough, not the result

Could it be a 3-0 for AFG? Could the unimaginable happen?

Even if you miss a few players this series-defeat is embarrasing. AFG has only one real good bowler in Rashid Khan and a decent one in Farooqi, so there are no excuses for this defeat.

Having said that, congrats to AFG.

To be honest, I expected a tight contest but 2-0 with one 1 to play was never in my mind

To be honest, I expected a tight contest but 2-0 with one 1 to play was never in my mind

Look, no excuses for the teams performances, but these pitches have also been shocking. They’re like the other extreme of the Pindi pitches.

It’s actually made incredibly difficult to gauge the actual true potential of the young players who’ve played on here.

Even if you miss a few players this series-defeat is embarrasing. AFG has only one real good bowler in Rashid Khan and a decent one in Farooqi, so there are no excuses for this defeat.

Having said that, congrats to AFG.

Mujeeb and Nabi are good T20 bowlers also. They play in T20 leagues all over the world.

Back