Who are the best 5 English cricketers of all time?

Harsh Thakor

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
In reply to the thread on Syclyd Berry I wish to place my views.I was alarmed that he reduced the debate between just W.G.Grace and Ian Botham.Both were geniuses but what about the likes of Hobbs ,Hammond,Woolley,Hutton etc.To me in order Hobbs,Hammond and Barnes are ahead.Even experts like John Woodcock,Geoff Armstrong and Cristopher Martin Jenkins all agreed that all my mentioned names were ahead of Botham.To me Boths would just edge Len Hutton and Denis Compton.

This would be my top 5 in order of merit.

1.WG Grace

equivalent of a cricketing immortal whose feats on the cricket field were more legendary than any one .Not a joke to score an unbeaten 344 on a wicket of uncut grass,aggregate 1000 runs and take 100 wickets 8 times,aggregate 54896 runs as wel as 2876 wickets and score over 1000 runs 28 times in a season .Strode on the field like an emperor.

2.Jack Hobbs

Arguably the best of all batsmen if you ***** Bradman's performances on wet tracks.No batsmen ever has aggregated 61237 runs,scored 197 centuries ,scored more than 100 first class centuries after the age of 40 o rparticipated in 1666 century partnerships.

3.Walter Hammond

Close to the most punishing and agressive batsmen of all time but unfortunate to play in era of Bradman.Took domination of bowling to a zenith difficult to surpass commanding proceedings like a bulldozer in the middle.On par with Viv Richards.Never forget in addition to scoring 7249 runs Hammond captured 85 wickets.He was an al-rounder in his own right.

4.Sydney Barnes

The equivalent of a Bradman to bowling capturing 7 wickets per test at an average of around 19.Could be the most daunting of all bowlers even if he was not genuine quick.

5.Ian Botham

At his best virtually a re-incarnation of Sir Garfield performances and his best match and series efforts surpassed even Sobers.Botham at his best could win games more than any all-rounder but fell out because of lack of consistency.From 1977-82 Botham 's performance was 2nd to only Sobers.At his best Botham literally created the impact of a hurricane and could swing the fortunes of a match more than any player.If I had to pick a player who could create the equivalent of a total reversal of a polt in a film I would choose Botham.Botham was sadly not at his best against West Indies.

Sir WG Grace
Sir Ian Botham
Fred Trueman
Denis Compton
Jim Laker

Honourable mentions:
Peter May
Wally Hammond
Douglas Jardine
Harold Larwood
SF Barnes

Sir WG Grace
Sir Ian Botham
Fred Trueman
Denis Compton
Jim Laker

Honourable mentions:
Peter May
Wally Hammond
Douglas Jardine
Harold Larwood
SF Barnes

No Len Hutton.The equal of Sunil Gavaskar?No Jack Hobbs arguably the best of all batsmen?I may prefer Ted Dexter to May and include Alec Bedser instaed of Jardine or Larwood.Maybe include Wilfred Rhodes too.

No Len Hutton.The equal of Sunil Gavaskar?No Jack Hobbs arguably the best of all batsmen?I may prefer Ted Dexter to May and include Alec Bedser instaed of Jardine or Larwood.Maybe include Wilfred Rhodes too.

I know!

I felt awful leaving out Hedley Verity too.

I will rank only those who I have watched live or in clips:

1. Alan Knott
2. Ian Botham
3. James Anderson
4. Alastair Cook
5. Bob Willis

I'll take 4 of OP, but in a different order. I'll take Fred Truman instead of Syd Barnes. Barnes's figures were massively over-rated by bashing a hapless SAF side in their early days. Out of his 187 wickets in 27 Tests, he had 103 in 20 against AUS at around 23, which is below per for that era by some margin (we are talking about Lohmann, JJ Ferris, Damon Spofforth or CT Turner averaging around 15-19 in Ashes) while 7 Tests against SAF earned him 84 wickets at 9.75 with 6 matches earning a 10for return. In that regard, we'll have to take that Irfan Pathan reached Test doubles ahead (29 Tests) than Kapil & Imran.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/32685.html?class=1;template=results;type=bowling

1. IT Botham, 2. WG Grace, 3. JB Hobbs, 4. FS Truman, 5. WR Hammond is my order. Unlike old school cricket historians, I rate Botham at the highest position simply because he played in the era when Cricket was at it's zenith & his heroics were normalized for what was going around - for 7 days a week, you have 7 news makes - Imran, Botham, Hadlee, Kapil, Procter, Rice, Stevenson......... 20 years back, it would have been like - Trevor Bailey, Intekhab Alam, Mushtaq Mohammed, Peter Pollock, Salim Durani ............. Gary Sobers.

If I am to select an All-time English XVI for a global tour, my team will be

Hobbs, Hutton
Compton, Hammond, KP
WG*, Botham
Knott+
Laker, Truman, Bedsar
12th Man: Toni Grieg (VC)
--------------------------------------------
Suttcliff, Les Ames+, Verity, Syd Barnes

I had to pick WG as Captain over Hammond, while if Grieg plays, he'll play at the spot of WG, replacing as Captain as well. I rate Bedsar way ahead of Syd Barnes for that he was the ultimate green top bowler. Lost his best 5/6 years to WW2, & then led a war torn struggling England's attack for most part his life - still ended as one of the legends of the game.

I could have dropped KP at bench, opening with Herbart Sutcliff & Jobbs, dropping DC Compton at 5; but KP has to be there, for that he was the most dynamic English batsman debuting after WW2 (Barrington's average of 58 is one of the biggest anomaly of Cricket stats) & an wonderful spin player. Unfortunately, Goochi misses out as ENG has 3 of the ATG openers. Les Ames was the first "All-rounder" WK, it was not Gilly. In an era of WK averaging in single digits & sometimes batting at 11; Ames batted at 4/5 with an average of 40+ & he kept for 25+ years for Kent - played his last Test at 32-33, when he was at his prime as batsman - he makes my team as back-up WK & reserve batsman.

It's a great squad, but won't stand much chance against such WI or AUS teams - but it'll fight for the 3rd spot with SAF & PAK for sure. A very balanced side with 2 glaring misses - 11 right-handers & no quality leg-spinner.

Only 4 players since WW2 (Bedsar debuted at 28 in 1946, was destined to play in 1940 Ashes down under), including 2 of my picks (KP & Grieg - most historians most likely won't pick them) & the core of the team is from the first 70 years of cricket - still we'll not argue that Cricket is dying in UK ........

The best English fast bowler I have seen by an absolute country mile is Bob Willis, Botham will be there because of his record, most natural English batting talent was David Gower, Alec Stewart is criminally underrated, a great player of fast bowling and a very good keeper. Best England spinner in my time is Swann.

Cook and Anderson should be in honorable mentions. They have achieved a lot for England.

Test series wins in India, Australia, number one ranking, most runs and wickets etc. Cook also captained the team to a Test series win in SA although his performance wasn't very good and neither was Anderson's.

Back